Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Pandemonium, nem), 16 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1015795 Tue 06/07/21 21:51 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
What's Studio Trigger up to these days?

Not one ... but TWO ... films for the Disney Star Wars: Visions anthology!

This should be way cool.

Wolf #1015807 Wed 07/07/21 11:28 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Will watch out for these! smile

Wolf #1021066 Sat 16/10/21 15:47 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Am: where do you think you are going?
Karre: to a galaxy far, far away

... you know, it's interesting. Recently the best, the strongest stories from the Star Wars universe are the animations - Rebels, the Bad Batch, and now Visions. Visions was a bold and daring idea - and every single one of the episodes pulls through.

They make Star Wars exciting again. After watching Visions, there's a wonder in the universe once more ... so many new stories that could be told ... and the worst part is it leaves you wanting for more.

Visions follows the "Love, Death, and Robots" format - each is self-contained, each is a unique style and they are ... short. This makes sense - creating animation is still much more work/time-intensive than live-action, if they were longer we'd still be waiting for them. Good news, you can binge them in one evening ... bad news, you may not wish to do that. Remember, these folks took what they loved about Star Wars and it's hard to not look to stories about the Jedi. While they are all wondrously unique, too many in a row in a short time can be a bit wearing smile

Me, I didn't mind!

So what can be said about them without spoiling them:

The Duel: Pure Akira Kurasawa; his signature samurai-era style, the pacing, the action, the story, the dialogue ... you'd think this is what the master would have done if he decided to make an animated story. Of all of them, I have this sneaking suspicion it's also the least canon - because if the ronin is who I believe the ronin is ... if that somehow could be true ... oh my ... that would make the Duel even MORE cool!

Tatooine Rhapsody: Fine, in truth this is probably the weakest of the set. But it has not to due with the story, the characters, the animation ... it's just that the soundtrack doesn't quite make it. On the other hand, it's actually quite refreshing - its is a Star Wars tale that is NOT focused on the Jedi, lightsaber battles, The Empire or the Rebels ... and that is a very nice breath of fresh air.

The Twins: OMG. Take every Star Wars trope, take everything hackneyed and corny about the Star Wars universe, dial it up to eleven ... and MAKE IT WORK. The opening starship scene. The corny dialogue. The escalating lightsaber duels. Of course, they can make it work - this is studio Trigger, after all, the folks who gave us Gurren Lagaan, Kill La Kill, and all the other shows that just run on the rule of cool. The dialogue is the BEST in visions and will have you laughing out loud - and not at the show, but with it ... with each word you can tell these guys LOVE Star Wars and are having a Great Time. It's an amazingly fun romp.

Coworker: You do realize he wasn't wearing a space suit ...
Wolf and Coworker at the same time: BUT WHO CARES!

It was that much fun.

One of the most beautiful and haunting images that were previewed for Visions? Absolutely gorgeous. My jaw hit the floor when I discovered it was from this short and by Trigger of all folks.

The Village Bride: Interestingly, the most dramatic of the stories ... and what's interesting? It's a masterful bait and switch. Bait and switch can work and it does so to perfection here. It has the strongest character development of them all ... hidden behind an equally strong story of another culture, the meaning of sacrifice, and the ultimate sacrifice of doing the right thing.

The Ninth Jedi: Originally this was supposed to be two episodes, but it was decided to twine them together into one .. and it was the right decision. This is a straightforward adventure, and that's not bad. It is adventure with a heart, with meaning ... and more than even a certain film gives new hope to the Star Wars universe.

Its view on the color of a Jedi's lightsaber is also a great new way of looking at that old saw.

T0-B1: If you don't believe a droid can use the Force, this will change your mind. And his droid companions somehow are both so courageous and so adorable. It also shows that the Jedi can have other goals that fight folks. Which was a very nice feeling.

The Elder: This is an excellent character study of the relationship between a Jedi and their Padawan. What really got me about this was that it was the second episode done by Studio Trigger.

This is Studio Trigger all grown up. Wow.

Lop and Ochō: And this, this, with Lop - who is probably Vision's break-out character - is the most powerful of the bunch. It's the one with the most heart and the one that cuts deepest. Yes. It's about the Jedi and lightsabers. It's about the Empire and those who stand against them and those who see them as salvation and strength. Yes, it's a Yakuza story.

But it's not.

It's a story about the meaning of Family. Of Fathers and Daughters. Of Sisters.

The more I think about it, Lop had to be Lop. It wouldn't have worked if she was just another of Star Wars alien races. Because it is critically important that she be ... different.

Because it's the story of the adopted sister.

Akakiri: Ever wonder why the Jedi having a relationship with another is considered taboo?

This is why.

And it's heartbreaking.

You might not like them all as I did. But there's probably one Vision you will.

Last edited by Wolf; Sat 16/10/21 15:50 UTC.
Wolf #1021068 Sat 16/10/21 16:32 UTC
M
M
Thanks for this. I will have to give it a look now. Not sure if that is good or bad ... but it is what it is <wink>

MikeD

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Dugan
Dugan
Langley, B.C.
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,828
Posts140,438
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy