Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Asta, Alduin, Zeim), 36 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1011426 Wed 14/04/21 00:50 UTC
Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
As Anne is walking out of the room, Grey falls into step beside her.

"Mind if we talk a bit Anne? Perhaps over a bite to eat?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

Her shoulders wiggled just a little bit. She had bad associations with that kind of comment from her mother. Nothing was ever just a talk. She hesitantly nodded. She could always eat. It had to be something to do with her power, she just never stopped, never gained weight, just had to have regular infusions of food. She supposed that regular infusions would satisfy the beast, but she rarely did that, unlike her mother.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey

“Anne I am not your mother. Perhaps at one point I could have been. I chose not to. I altered myself. I freed the better angels of my nature. You are in no danger from me. I cannot say the same of those who would now harm you.”

She walks with her over to the kitchen and starts pulling out the makings of sandwiches and putting them on the table.

“Here. Feed the beast.”

She waits a moment for her to get herself something.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"A sandwich is always an option," she admitted. Her hands started to knock the parts from the fridge into their component packaging. A little bit here a little bit there, bread, mayo, and whatever else she could put into it.

Soon it was almost too big to fit in her mouth, so she stopped, putting the lid on it. She then took a bite, it might have looked alien and odd to someone else, but it clearly fit the bill with the look on her face.

A few long chewing motions "I know you aren't my mother, I just can't help associate certain feelings with certain tones." She took another big bite to allow her time to think.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“I completely understand. I don’t read your mind, but I often cannot help but feel your stronger emotional states.”

She pauses a bit, and pulls out a soft drink, opening and sipping.

“It is, however, your mother we are here to talk about. And your other relations. How you got where you are. You never really knew your father, did you?”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She took a moment to take a bite of her preparation before answering.

"I have no information on my father. Nyx never talked about him. Heck, she could have sucked the life from somewhere and created me, for all I know. It wouldn't have changed anything I suspect. That sounds pessimistic, and I am not. It is just that Nyx is overpowering in so many different ways. It is her way or your pain," she said simply with a complete lack of obvious emotion.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“As to that, I am pretty sure we have figured out who the man was. It may seem largely academic. However, he shares something in common with both Nyx and Alchemy. And at a remove, with many others here, both staff and student. Among them me, and also Mariel. That line that draws back through us to one specific person.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"My mother?" Her voice couldn't hide the incredulous feelings swelling up inside her. "I have always had it in my head that she sucked the life out of my father and that it was easier to take that way.

"I just can't see her as a mother, even though she was mine." She finishes lamely. She is still stunned.

Finally, she asks, "I assume he is a villain?"

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“Name is Psychogen, still alive, still active surprisingly enough. However, I’m not sure he even knows he is the father and would be quite surprised if he found out as he has no particular desires in that respect. And you were most definitely ‘edited’ after the fact. Someone has interfered in your development. The same person, we think, that has interfered in many others we have here, including at least a few of the staff.”

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 04/05/21 22:13 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"Interfered with," her voice carries the question that she meant. "Do we know how or why? You obviously have an idea of the who."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus

Grey:

“As to the who, I think you suspect. Same person had a hand in Cadence, in Hadasha, in Blake, in Lamar - in many here in fact. In me. I suspect of course that that person is Enkidu. As to how, how he does whatever it is he does I don’t know. Eric might be closer to that than me. As to why ... perhaps he is trying to achieve something specific? Not entirely sure, but what we are becoming more sure of is his footprint may be larger than we ever suspected.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"It might be my mother's machinations driving this thought process but I am sure he has a bigger plan in mind. I just can't imagine what that is at the moment. My mind doesn't work like my mother's."

She spoke very softly "if she was even my mother?"

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“Oh, we’re pretty sure of that. At least we can tell you are related to Mariel, and there are only a few ways that could happen. We determined that pretty early on. Besides which, your powers definitely fit in that family tree. No, I’m pretty sure that Nyx donated a good sized piece of your genetic material>. Motherhood is more debatable.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

In a slightly stronger voice she said "genetically makes sense from what little I know about the man you guess is involved.

"If you're Endiku and want to create something really powerful like a super being that has many powers. Having access to the genetic material would be required.

" One way to get those samples is to say hey I will give you a child in return for a sample. I really don't want to contemplate him being my father genetically. But I wouldn't put it past my mother to agree to such a devil's bargain just for her own egomaniacal reasons.

"It makes me wonder if I have other things going on inside of me. Am I living on borrowed time? Am I a mistake?"

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey

“Absolutely not. You are you. And if they made a mistake it was in underestimating you having a mind of your own. They do not get to define you. Only you can do that. We are now t defined by what we are but who we choose to be.’

She pauses a long time.

“I of all people can testify to that.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She nodded, her eyes not necessarily agreeing fully with Grey's statement.

"I choose, but I have a lot of practice being another way. It also makes me wonder how specific a creation I am. For example, H's speed obviously didn't go as planned. I am clearly not a clone of my mother's abilities unless she just never tried to cause the energies to flow in any other direction.

"I.." her voice trailed off while she considered the whirling dervish of thoughts in her head. "Ultimately it doesn't matter what was intended. Nor I suppose even what was achieved. The question that seems important to me was what was the end goal. Probably being able to more easily replicate the powers that one desires. Though growing them through life seems like a really long-term project for most people.

"I can see why Mother would choose it. Not only does it feed it her manicial need to control things, it offers a potential ally that she can shape as she wishes. Too bad she was such a horrible mother," her voice pauses for a moment. Continuing she grudgingly says "at some things."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“Mariel is almost certain that both she, Nyx and Alchemy were manipulated, not natural. You are at least second generation manipulated. I can’t be sure. But I suspect I may have been. You are among broken people and projects, who knows the intent. Abilities pretty much never manifest twice in the same way. Never found a case of it yet. Even when similar, there are significant differences.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I can see from a pure curiosity standpoint one would want to see how it all works. But from a humanity standpoint, I feel the pain that it would cause. I don't feel pity precisely, but I suppose that is part of the make-up of the feelings.

"My mother never talked about my father, no matter what role he might have played. Hearing you speak about things, it sounds like I was an experiment grown in some way and set loose in the world. Sure my mother cared for me in her own way, but it seems even more alien than what I actually experienced."

She returned to eating her large sandwich slowly, obviously thinking about their discussion.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“You are now your own person. Whatever you were is irrelevant. Nyx being who she is, I would not be surprised if your father such as he is, is dead. Your family is now a family of choice.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I agree I get to make choices, as obvious by the mere fact that I am making choices. That is the daunting aspect. I know everyone feels that, making a choice and hoping they make the right one. In our case, the children here, we have a bit more responsibility than some. Our choices can have more impact on others. Yet, in some small way that route leads to madness too. My mother made her own choices, didn't she?"

The last question wasn't really a question and from the tone, it was clear she saw it more as humor, though there was enough of a ring of truth that it also felt real.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“Yes. Yes she did. She made choices that harmed herself, and those are the worst choices you can make. You harm everyone else.”

She pauses a moment.

“Your mother, however, was not in all ways in control of her own destiny. I think, in truth, there might be something actually wrong with her.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"Really? That seems like the easy way out. Like an insanity plea at a murder trial. It may very well be true, but that doesn't make it anything close to reality, or right.

"What do you suppose was wrong with her? That she is a psychopath? Or is the correct term for her Sociopath? She certainly was erratic and prone to fits of anger.

"Or do you mean something else?"

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey

“She had the problem you have of a manipulative parent. Only he was skilled at it in ways that perhaps only your cousin can understand. Still. That was no sentence. Mariel overcame it, in the end. She made her choice. Nyx, however … Nyx is ruled by her passions. I’m not sure she can reign in her emotions and desires long enough to make a choice. Her mind was never at peace.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"That is interesting sentiment. I confess I never thought of my mother in that way. She ruled over my upbringing in such a way that I either hid from her attention or relished it. Till I didn't because of what I had garnered as a birthright.

"Even that as you eloquently put it earlier, isn't the same. I do not know if Nyx ever tried to heal anyone or if she was too selfish to consider that as a possibility. Or maybe it is just easier to suck the life from them and use that heady rush of power?" She shook her head for a moment and took a sip of her drink.

"I wouldn't know. I haven't had the courage to take a life. Well, I am not sure that is the proper verb really. Does it take courage? Or is there some other element in taking a life? Depravity? I mentioned selfishness. I am not sure that fits either. After all, she did raise me, that isn't exactly selfish. It can be for one's goals, but it takes time effort and much more."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey

“As with all things the quality taking a life is immeasurable without context. All things come down to reason, and rhyme, cause and effect. Nothing is that simple. The people who think it is that simple are the problems. When you think life and death are simple, you make decisions out of context.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I have to say I long for simplicity, yet I understand that is not an option. I am excited by what I can do, it is new, it is novel, it is a bunch of feelings I can't describe. Yet it is confounding too.

"I guess my thought to see if my power goes someplace else than my mother's is because I want to be something more. I also don't want to be limited by my mother's choices. You know that just from our first introduction.

"I guess I am just running over the same ground, the same thoughts I went through that very evening. I appreciate the counsel. Just talking with someone who has a similar viewpoint. I won't be able to resolve my own teenage tendencies. I do believe we are required to have angst in every moment. I am fulfilling my duty." She smiled and took another sip.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“I think, Anne, I understand much about you. Mariel likely understands other things. I’ll give you a hint though. Teenage angst never goes away. We adults just get better at hiding and sublimating it.”

She offers a rare smile.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She swallowed lightly almost allowing her drink to catch in her throat. The smile she was offered was a surprise and felt good. She hadn't felt that emotion in a bit. It had been a turbulent set of days to say the least.

"At least there is hope," she admitted.

"What comes next?" She inquired.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“What comes next. Is you learn how to use what you can do for your own purposes. For purposes that don’t limit you to your mother. That let you be “more” for whatever definition of more offers fulfillment. I would suggest, perhaps, Mariel or Carver for you. They relate to what you can do most.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"Either or both seem reasonable. Since we are all unique there will have to be experimentation. But you knew that hence the suggestion.

"This is probably a stupid question but how will I know what fulfills me? I assume it is something more than personal satisfaction."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“A question for you, Anne. What in your life so far has been most disappointing or frustrating. When did you feel your greatest sense of purpose and self determination?”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I am a teenager, my life has been lackluster moving between avoidance and punishment." She shrugged.

After a moment she continues "but I didn't want my mother's plan to succeed at the cost of those she had chosen to use. I felt good that I didn't take a life, but I felt bad that I didn't actually do anything." She shrugged again.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“So then could you possibly say, Anne, that you wish to be an actor rather than acted upon. To learn how to be able to effect the world. You have been a candle in the wind, flickering the way the winds blew you. Feed your own flame.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She frowns, whether it is from her words or the fact that they are so cliched isn't clear. She does nod though accepting the advice. It is true she wishes to choose her destiny, evident by so many of the decisions she has made in just the last few days.

"Discovery is certainly part of that. One needs to have an idea of what is possible, to be able to even chart a course. Not saying I have to know what is out there, more like the cardinal directions, so that I can choose to seek out my New World." If Grey can use cliches, then she can, which draws a small tight-lipped smirk onto her young face.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
The smirk is returned.

“Believe it or not, Anne, I was young once. I had my own identity issues, my issues of goals. But the important thing is that no one can really impose those goals on you. They need to come from you. Not even from here.”

She points at her head.

“But from there. From your gut.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I get that. I am sure that I can continue to make my choices that seem to align with my current feelings. I just am concerned that I will one day look back and not be happy with the forks in the road that I chose to take because I didn't look far enough ahead." Again she shrugged. So many questions, and no real idea as to what the answers will entail.

"I know that I don't want to be my mother. That is enough for now. Life is important to me, and I don't choose to take it nonchalantly. Heck, I am not even sure if I could kill if I had to. Certainly, I didn't the first night, even though that is what I went there to do. I thought I was willing to commit Matricide to save people I didn't even know. Yet in the heat of the moment, it didn't happen. I am both happy and sad about that because I still don't know where I stand in the big picture."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“You stand where you choose to. You will kill if you have to and your conscience allows. That is enough - when the time comes you will know what you are willing to do. The fact that you don’t take it lightly is proof that you are not your mother. You have by nature what I had to impose upon myself by force of will.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

The word choice interested her. "Am I not imposing my choice? I am not sure that any of us are inherently killers or not. I suspect that it is easier for some than it is for others. The not looking forward to see what it is that it means. In my case I know that what I do with the power I have affects things in ways I can't even imagine. In that sense I am concerned about what taking a life means because there are things about life that I can't see or completely understand. It isn't a soul thing, I am sure that is part of the equation. It is more like if there is so much power in a life, that can be used for something. Then it has to mean something more. Anyway, that is the equation in my head that makes me hesitate and choose not to take life lightly."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

She pauses.

“Anne, when I say that I imposed my will on myself, I mean exactly that. I quite literally decided I needed to be different than I was and then … edited … my own mind to impose the ethics I thought I should have on myself. When I say that I changed my mind, I mean it quite literally. I did to myself what I would now find quite unethical if I did it to someone else. That isn’t an option you have. You have to bargain with yourself, make choices the old fashioned way. It can be all too easy to win an argument when you can just skip the stage of convincing someone and instead just change their mind to meet your expectations and desires.”

She looks into Anne’s eyes.

“That means that in the larger equation you can be better than me.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

Her mouth formed a wide circle of surprise. "Oh, I didn't get that originally. That is both amazing and frightening. I suppose in some ways no more different in some ways to what I am capable of doing, in the physical realm.

"Not that you and I are the same," she hurriedly added.

"I am just using comparison to understand what you are saying. This is just a big different world, all stemming from one choice that I made.

"I get that my choices are more difficult in some ways. I also get what you mean by building a better future, and potentially being better. I am just not sure I am up to making those choices and being that good. I can't predict the future. But I can hope, even if it is daunting."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“When taken as a whole, yes it is daunting. Yet you do not make decisions as a whole, you make them one at a time. You can’t make all of your future choices now, you just make the choices in front of you, deal with the consequences and move on to the next one.”

She makes a walking motion with her fingers.

“If you keep taking one step at a time you’ll find while each step didn’t take you that far, after you have completed a batch of them, you’ve gone somewhere. Don’t concentrate on being good or bad. Concentrate on being Anne, and making that be something you can live with.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"That was exactly the point of the name change, a new identity by choice. I completely get the idea of life as a journey. It is one of the few pieces of religion I learned about that totally works for me. Really to me that is one of the selling points of religion. A set of beliefs that one can espouse to, as kind of a guideline.

"Too bad in the religions of the past we are really different figures. It means that we make the choices that drive religions, not necessarily follow them.

"I am ok with that too. I just want to be a god that is remembered for good things rather than villainy." Her last sentence was said very soft voice reaffirming the thoughts behind her most recent statements.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey

“It is unwise to separate yourself from the world and look down on it like a god. It’s worse than unwise possibly. It can be dangerous. No matter the things we can do we will never be gods. We can, however, become something much less than human with frightening ease if we allow it. Witness Nyx. When you declare yourself a god for good or bad you declare that you matter more. Do you?”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"The answer to that one is easy. No I am not a god. I don't even really want to be a god. I would wish to be born without power given a choice, but that really isn't reality is it? We have the hand we are dealt and we must play it." She shrugged.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“The key to success lies in playing the hand you were dealt as if it were the hand you wanted. I think you can do that and not become what your mother, Nyx - what Inanna and others have become, without losing your humanity.”

She holds out a hand.

“You accept my help in doing that?”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I accept and appreciate it. These are choppy waters I am navigating in a frightfully small boat if you forgive the metaphor." She accepted the hand and gave it a grateful grasping shake.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey

“Good.”

She pauses.

“If I were able to tell you something about your real father, would you wish to know?”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She considered that question for more than a moment. She didn't usually give much thought to things being rather impulse oriented. However that was one of those open the box and let something out. She couldn't put it back in once she knew. Yet it would be more information even if it turned out to be something she didn't later want to know.

"Alright I will take whatever you can tell me. Though I really don't want it to be another megalomaniac." She said half jokingly.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“That is a good question. I believe I have traced the most likely suspect, although it was not easy. Psychogen is hard to define. He - I am presuming he was originally such - is a possessor. He can control minds, inhabit them. Ride them. Sometimes, when he so chooses, permanently. He leaves traces, however. Changes those ridden. And as far as I can see, you seem to have inherited some of such. I also think he is still alive.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"Psychogen?" She said the name like she was seeing how it would feel in her mouth. "I don't know anything about him," she admitted honestly. "Controlling minds would be useful," she nodded thinking it.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“Controlling minds is something you don’t want. I’ve been there. It isn’t a good thing. It dehumanizes you more than the person controlled.”

She seems,in deadly earnest on this.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She looked at Grey, "you have experiences I will defer to. I really don't know. I am happy to benefit from your knowledge. Thank you," she said honestly.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“I’m not sure, however, that he is with your mother in this matter. I’m not sure he is sane enough to be with anyone.”

She pauses for a brief while.

“What I think you need are some lessons in field control. While as always every powered individual is unique, there are some commonalities that can be used. In your case I think the most useful would be Carver and Mariel. You and your cousin are alike in many ways - as well as Mariel. Powers often run in spheres, and I think yours play in the same realms, albeit accessing it differently. Or at least that is how Mariel describes it. Frankly, her brain sometimes makes mine hurt.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I can understand that. Many people make my brain hurt. It isn't that I don't get the abstract, or heck even the weird, it is just that I don't get people sometimes. My mother is a perfect example of that. For the longest time I thought I was the one that was odd, teenage rebellion etc... Now I think that maybe I am the one that was... well I am not sure I had the problem. I just don't know what it is I am."

She considered for a moment. "Carver seemed interesting, he allowed me to explore a side of my power that I thought was there, but my mother wouldn't have believed existed."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
“Carver, Anne, is the very definition of interesting. He has a history. Possibly more history than anyone here other than Kemp. You could do much worse than to learn from him - and not just in power manipulation. Your mother was not a teenage rebel. She was very much an expression of pure drive and desire, unchecked by morals. A narcissist in every sense of the word. Alchemy is ethos, control, grandiose. A sadist. Mariel … I think her difference is she seems to have inherited a conscience, a shoulder angel. She was called trouble but in the end I think she was troubled. You aren’t Nyx, that much is self evident. I don’t think you are much like Alchemy. You perhaps have a bit of Mariel - but in the end, I think you can just be Anne and not allow your lineage to define you.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She nodded accepting the definition that she was trying to establish in the war that was going on inside of her. "I am sure that eventually, another name might become apparent, but for now, choosing my own route is the way I can get away from whatever it is my mother was trying to make me. My powers are certainly an aspect of who I am but as you and I have discussed, choice is an important component too. After all, that is why I am here, isn't it?" There was the smallest amount of hope in her last question.

"I would be happy to learn from any of you, and I mean that. I am relatively new to this and learning where I can go is as important as to learn to who I can be. I have at least started to eliminate potential choices, things I don't want to do."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Grey:

“… and I can see we have visitors outside. Ben, you obviously know. The other, who is technically not supposed to be here, is Carmen, your cousin. Mariel’s daughter. If you will excuse me, I think I have to take care of something - there has been a development which I should be present for. Anne, I think you know what you need, and I will arrange those lessons. In the meantime, I leave you with these two.”

“Ben, Carmen … do come in.”

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ben

Hearing his name called out, he raised an eyebrow.

"Guess our presence is requested." he said, motioning for her to proceed him and followed behind.

"Hey." he said, looking around.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen

[Linked Image]

“Um … hi?”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She answered "hi," back to the young woman. Mariel's daughter had an impact on her, as she supposed Nyx's daughter would on the other. "I am called Anne," she followed up with kinda of awkwardly.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
The girl bites her lower lip lightly.

“… I really thought that once dad went away, I’d never meet any relatives again other than mom. I hoped I’d never meet my aunts. You look more … normal than I expected.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"Thank you," she offered stiffly. Almost as if she had determine if that was a compliment or not. "My mother does over shadow things a bit, but I prefer to make my own way in the world." She offered simply.

"How about you?"

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen

She makes a small face.

“Sorry, that came out wrong. I mean, I’m not sure if you are from Nyx or Alchemy, I know One of each is here, but given what I know of them you seem … normal. Not like people who call themselves gods. Like someone I could meet at school. If I went to school that is.”

“As for me … Honestly? I feel like a piece of fine China that mother is afraid will break if it escapes the cabinet..”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She nodded at the explanation. "Biologically I am the darker twin I guess. My parentage lies in my mother's domain Nyx. That is as far as it will go..." she didn't finish that sentence.

"I understand that concern philosophically," she agrees with the fine piece of China comment. "I am not sure if that is better than how I was viewed, but that is in the past...". The way that sentence ended, there is a question as if she is not sure it will stay there.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen wrinkles her nose a little.

“I can tell you something about mother. She is stubborn, and I don’t think she’s about to give up and let you go. I certainly wouldn’t want to get between her and what she views as her extended family.”

She bites her lip, looks over at Ben.

“… so you weren’t a China plate or a experiment?”

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ben

He had been listening to the two girls discuss their past quietly, giving them the time and space to perhaps make a connection.

"No, my parents had me because they wanted a child. They are very good parents. In that I was blessed."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"That must have been nice," she said to Ben. "I feel like I was part child, part plaything, and part tool. I am not even sure I was a child exactly." She didn't say anything else about her irrational concerns about how she might have been created. Ultimately those concerns didn't matter. She existed that much was clear. If her mother wasn't gone, one day she was absolutely certain she would face Nyx and not in a friendly manner. Much of these twisted emotions played out on her face even though she didn't give them a voice yet.

As if a new thought occurred to her "Ben, if your parents... What I mean to ask is why are you here?" In might be too direct a question, but she really didn't know an easier way to ask it. She might find out some other way in time, but she wanted to be a different person than her mother, and that meant doing things differently done to actually asking questions, instead of acquiring the answers by another means.

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ben

He sighed quietly.

"Because they were arrested. My parents performed a number of criminal activities at the behest of another to compensate for medical treatments that saved my life. I was trying to rescue my mother and get her away at the courthouse when our instructors caught me. So I am here for now."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She nodded in understanding. They seemed to all have parents that had problems in one way or another. Softly she replied, "thank you for telling me."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen

She fidgets uncomfortably.

“So in some way you could say my mother is responsible for you being here. I’m sorry. I know it must suck. I feel a bit stupid complaining about feeling overprotected. Mother can be a bit … overwhelming when she has a mind to, but I know she wants what’s best for me.”

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ben

"You are welcome Anne. I guess being here is an alternative to sunning on a beach on St. Kits." he said with a little grin.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I understand overbearing mothers," she agreed with Carmen.

"St Kits. I have seen pictures in magazines."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen:

“Sunning on a beach. Hah. Would require a bathing suit, no interest. Don’t even use the pool here.”

She pauses briefly.

“It feels weird being near so much family I don’t know.”

She looks over at Ben.

“And I’m sorry you can’t be with yours.”

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ben

He shrugged.

"They know that I love them and that I know they love me. I suspect my father will figure out a way to get free in time." he said. "But for now, I guess we are all here for the duration. Might as well make the best of it that we can."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen:

She pauses a long time.

“If he escapes … then …”

A long pause.

“Wouldn’t that be with … her. My … aunt that is?”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She listened not having put that together before.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen

“Let me tell you, it’s been a bit odd sitting so close but far away from the lot of you. I know mother probably won’t like it but I … well, I kinda had too.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

"I understand the oddness of this all. But what do you mean?" She was curious about the young woman's thoughts. She had her own waring array of thoughts, running to and fro across her brain that she was trying to make sense of.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen:

“I mean … mother desperately doesn’t want me involved with … all of this. You. Your mother, your cousin - and I get that. But I don’t think I can not be. I can’t just sit here and observe at arms length. Perhaps if I had never looked in in the first place and found out about you, but since I have? How … can I just go back?”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Anne

She nodded understanding. "I agree that this is so weird. We don't know what we can do never mind what our relatives can either. Everyday is a new frontier of sorts."

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ben

He watched quietly while the girls talked, learning what he could. His parents had always drilled into him that information was worth its weight in gold.

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
Carmen:

“Oh, I think I sort of know what I can do. Although not all of it obviously. I mean …”

She flickers and zaps disappearing, and an arc of energy travels to a light which turns on, then it flickers and turns off, the arc zaps back and she is back where she started.

“I kinda flit between matter and energy. Light, electricity … tried a few thing haven’t tried everything yet as there are some I’m nervous about or just haven’t figured out.”

She looks at Ben.

“I think you port and control … gravity?”

And looks back to Anne.

“And you manipulate energy somehow. Actually, near as I can tell all of us do.”

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Ben

He nodded to her.

"Yes, I inherited both my father's gravitational powers as well as my mother's teleportation abilities."

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
(I’m not sure where pande is, but I’m going to get you a new thread going for now)

Arssanguinus
OP Offline
Arssanguinus
(If pande is able to return we can pick this back up)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Art in the Blood 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Argus
Argus
Indianapolis, IN USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,828
Posts140,448
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy