Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (AquaDyne, Miales), 20 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The Waterbaron's Hall was the grandest building in the city. A number of lion statues, carved from stone, decorated the exterior of the building. Since they had been nearby the night before, they three that approached were aware that it was one of the only buildings that was lit at night. Sconces were built every ten feet around the wall of the building but since it was daytime, the flames had been extinguished. One of the doors of a double door was open. Each door, made of ornately hammered brass, was at least three times the height of a typical man. Each door featured a large pull ring.

As they moved inside, they were stopped by a guard stationed at a desk at the door. The man stood and said in a deep and loud voice, "Hail. Welcome to the Waterbaron's Hall. May I help you?"

The sound of his greeting echoed in the large chamber. Beyond the desk the trio could see that they were at one end of a colonnade, lined with two ranks of pillars on both sides. The pillars supported lofty peaked roofs here. Between each column hung a large tapestry, all the tapestries depicted lions in some way. There were several other uniformed guards stationed throughout the chamber. At the far end of the long hall was a huge set of steps that led up.

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv

"Hail and well met. I hight Kriv Norixius of Norixius Keep, and it is beholden upon me to seek audience with the Waterbaron as an emissary, in addition to raising other matters of mutual concern."

Kriv was well educated in noble formalities, and endeavoured to put that knowledge to good use here, as well as leveraging the affiliation he and Lady Ruthiol shared.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She allows Kriv to be their spokesman for now, since he seems well versed in the Diplomatic niceties. She does make sure her ruby Order of the Gauntlet pendant is settled in plain view and she calls to mind the Season of Autumn.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The guard looks the three up and down, seeing that they are indeed, properly garbed, presentable individuals.

As the three looked about, they could see that this only one of many guards in the grand entry chamber. There were also various other people, city officials, administrators and aides whose footsteps echoed loudly as they moved with urgency, many carrying tomes and binders tucked under their arms, to get to their destination.

"Mutual concern? I see."

He moves over to a ledger and with a quill, starts to write. "And who are your aides?"

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She pauses to see if Kriv would like to answer for she and Sindar. She is not that familiar with the Waterbaron, so saying: 'Zhuirentel Elendaril of the Silverymoon Spellguard and member of the Order of the Gauntlet' may be well received, or not.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He hadn't planned on being much more than a fly on the chamber wall. Yet it would seem that his role might at least be illuminated. Never matter, he knew how to act when the situation required it.

"Sindar Silver Tongue Bard extraordinaire," he offered, leaving other elements from his past and potentially other titles he might have, off the expulsitory list for now.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Self-aggrandizement, how very human. Still, he took up the flow,

"And my other associate is Zhuirentel Elendaril, late of the Spellguard of the city of Silvermoon, initially of Sildëyuir in the Feywild. I vouch for them both upon my honour as a scion of Norixius Keep."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

"Alright then," the guard says as he finishes recording his entry into the journal.

He waves his hand and two other guards approach.

"They want to see the Waterbaron. Let us see if they can be fit in to her schedule," he said to the guards as he starts writing in a scroll. He marks the bottom of the parchment with a stamp, rolls it up and hands it to one of the guards.

That guard then said "This way," and began to lead them down the columned hall with other guard marching behind them down the pillared grand entry hall. Each step echoed as they walked. There seemed to be no way to walk quietly. As they marched towards the grand stone staircase at the opposite end of the hall they could see that there were many doors along the walls to their left and right. A few doors were open and they appeared to be a variety meeting rooms, offices, or record storage and court rooms.

The made their way up the marble step and at the top they turned right and were led into a small side chamber which was furnished simply with a table, several tall chairs and a sideboard. Upon the sideboard was a pitcher of water, several glasses and a bowl of fruit. "Wait here," he said as he left. The other guard remained outside the door.

This gave the three at least a few minutes to discuss what they would discuss.

-Nep
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He was a hanger-on, so he said nothing and let the other two discuss what it was they were going to talk about.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Quietly, he outlined,

"I have a few matters to address. Updates from Waterdeep, news of our encounters going back to Phandelin, the presence of the doppelganger, the rescue en route and the implications thereof, giant activity in particular. Do either of you have other issues beside those?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: I am sure that you all remember why you're here so re-reading this is likely redundant smile

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Well, according to Lady Ruthiol, the Waterbaron showed interest in the disappearance of the Lordling and she implied that several others may have also disappeared, so we should probably bring that up as well."

She pauses, but having just finished breakfast is neither hungry nor thirsty so she leaves the sidebar alone.

"For myself, I only would announce my presence as a member of the Order of the Gauntlet in case there is a need for those services here."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"That seems like a reasonable list to me," he admits. This was an informational meeting for Sindar, getting to know the right people in a variety of places.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
They needed to wait for a long time. That wasn't unexpected. The Waterbaron ran a city and they had come unannounced. Eventually a guard came in and said, "Master Kriv Norixius, this way."

Before the other two moved a muscle to join him the guard held forth a hand that stopped them cold. "Master Kriv only."

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She has moved to follow Kriv, so when the guard puts his hand out to stop her she is standing next to him. She leans in and whispers into his ear so only he can hear.

"Should you hear a voice whisper in your head, you can reply in the softest of Whispers. I do not trust those who do not trust me, so I may check to see if you are alright."

She then nods to the guard and takes a step back.

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 14/02/21 16:30 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

*Well this is a waste of time*, he thinks to himself. He relaxes and leans back. Not much else to do at this moment.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Without hesitation and a curt, human-style nod of acknowledgement, the noble scion headed in for his appointment. At Zhu's whisper, he raised a staying hand, a ring glinting on his finger almost as if he deliberately caught the light with it.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Kriv was gone for about fifteen minutes before the guard returned.

"The Waterbaron will see you now," was the guard's simple statement. He shrugged off any questions as he led the pair down the grand stone and marble hallways. The walls between door were lined with statues and busts of former waterbarons, bas relief stone carvings of historic events in the realms and paintings of day to day life in Yartar. The palace was as much a museum as it was the seat of great power in the center of the Dessarin Valley. They made several turns before they reached their destination. The guard opened the door, let the pair in and closed the door behind them.

Bookstacks and shelves lined all four walls of Nestra Ruthiol's private study. Zhu and Sindar were familiar with her reputation and power. This was one of the most powerful leaders in alliance with the Sword Coast during the wars against Tiamat's cult of the Dragon. She was not only the leader of powerful armies, Yartar was a hub of commerce. She was sitting at a desk facing the door as Zhu and Sindar were let in. There were three guest chairs with their backs to the door. In one sat the dragonborn, Kriv.

Nestra rose from her seat and made her way to the door to greet both. "My apologies. Come in, come in. Have a seat." she said, physically ushering both gently into the large room.

She was an elegant woman of about 40 years, she kept her blond hair cropped short but styled neatly. On this occasion she was wearing gold and red robes that were tied snuggly with a sash at the waist. Under the robes she wore a white lace blouse with high collars that reached up behind her long neck. Aside from the desk and three visitor chairs, there were a number of sideboards, chests and tables upon which were maps, scrolls, notebooks and ledgers. This office was the operational heart of the region. [Linked Image]

"I was expecting the emmissary, Kriv Norixius, but I had no forewarning of others who would be joining him. Our security procedures made keeping you waiting necessary. Again, my apologies. If you need a drink, feel free to help yourself," she says while nodding in the direction of a stone and mahogany bar.

She worked her way to her ornately carved high-back chair. It was nearly a throne in size. The seat was cushioned with a plush red velvet pillow. She gracefully tucks her long satin robes under and takes a seat. She then leans forward and clasps her hands together on the desk.

"I am pleased to meet you, Sindar the bard and Zhuirental Elendaril. Please remind me later to ask you about Sir Trasus Maricus and I also would like to hear how Taern Hornblade is. I have not seen either gentlemen for a while. But gossip can wait. I hear you found young Artan Rossolio," she says, an invitation to focus on that subject.

-Nep
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He was surprised when the guard returned. His face slipped into a slightly wider smile than his usual non-committal one. He stood and followed without a word.

His eyes ran over the elements they passed as he walked observing what he is able to. Inside the office, he bows to the introduction and takes the indicated seat.

He waited for his companions to start the discourse with an answer, he didn't feel it was his place to shepherd the discussion. He was only along as a courtesy.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She stands when the guard returns and follows along to the study. Once inside, she offers a polite bow to Nestra and takes a seat next to Kriv as offered. A soft smile appears on her face at the mention of Sir Trasus and Taern. But as Nestra moves immediately on to business she doesn't distract by following up on those names.

"Indeed", she replies. "I presume Master Norixius has not yet informed you of any of the details of that event?" She believes the Waterbaron's comment would have been phrased differently had she already discussed this with Kriv

"He was discovered in a magical vessel. Quite curious in design and side-effects."

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn added,

"A correct assumption, on this matter it is better we all be on the same page. We have been contracted by Lady Dezhia in this matter, both to identify the culprits and to locate his family pendant. The vessel in question resembled an egg or a cocoon, soft and membranous, apparently grown rather than manufactured, but magical as my colleague said, and definitely unnatural. The water within was grimy despite the free-flowing river all around. Once free of the vessel, Artan was conversant and cognisant, but his last memory had been of being in Yartar."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Nestra Rithol

She listens intently to Kriv describe what he saw before she reacts.

"I am concerned for my people. This is quite alarming as he is not the only one that had disappeared. Three nobles have gone missing over the last few weeks. You know of Artan Rossolio but also Jakkob Dawnflower and Timothy Salzberg have disappeared. They are all young men. This is a matter of great concern."

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv

"Hmm. The one we discovered was damaged, had attracted a flock of gulls. What would happen with an undamaged container, would it sink, would it just keep floating downstream? If they were dealt with in similar fashion, what possible destinations could there be where someone could fish them out? Alive, but no memory of confinement, and stricken with that skin disease. What use would they be in such a state?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

"You say it was on the river bank. I assume then it should not have washed ashore. You say it was unnatural. Then someone put him inside? I don't have an answer as to where one might claim such a package but anywhere along the river makes sense and I do think there is a plot of some sort. Lords Dawnflower and Salzberg and Lady Rossolio are among the important leaders of this city."

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She describes the area where they found the cocoon. "Do you know what is downstream from there? Anything of note? Presumably, if they'd planned to pick him up upstream from there they would have done so, so it is only natural to presume he came ashore before the expected pick up place."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
KenSeg
KenSeg
Jensen Beach, Florida
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,823
Posts140,425
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy