Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Miales, Gypsy, Tusk), 8 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1006391 Sun 24/01/21 15:06 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Yartar Marpenoth 7, 1490 DR

Arus, Sindar and Zhu leave Kriv, who has decided to remain at the Pearl Handled Pipe. They make their way out of the inn, into the crisp morning air. It is a decidedly beautiful day for this time of year. The sun was shining onto the market square, which was already abuzz with activity. Fishmongers, craftsmen, grocers were already busily hawking their products. Few customers meandered; they moved with purpose, to obtain the freshest fish, the best fruits and vegetables for their dinner tables.

The trio moved with purpose too. Following the instructions given to Zhu, they searched for the place where they hoped to find the other three. Bern, Davroar and Jaliera opted to stay elsewhere. Zhu was guessing that it would be at Beldabar's Rest. It did not take much time for them to find the place, even with the crowd. Although Arus never stayed there, he knew of it and also had an inkling what to look for. From the outside it did not seem to be an inn. There were no signs, either printed or hinted. But Zhu was quick to indicate that this was the place. She saw markings on the side of a wall nearby. It was a circle with a dot in the middle and sixteen small lines above it.

Inside Beldabar's Jaliera, who's been keeping tabs on things through Whisper's eyes every few moments, sees the three looking around in the courtyard outside. They had finished breakfast and she knows that the other three would not be admitted into Beldabar's because they did not stay the night.

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC: Assuming we have eaten?]

Jaliera

"Whisper says the others are outside, we should head out and meet them. Ready to go?"

She concentrates and gets Whisper to swoop down and land on the ground before them, so they know they have been seen.

M
M
<Bern>

He took a last sip and stood, "Lets go", he said, clearly ready to get thing 'rolling'.

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: Yes, assume you ate a great breakfast.]

-Nep
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He pats his full stomach, nods, and will walk along side Jaliera and Bern. Once outside he spots Zhu, Arus and Sindar. Kriv is noticeably absent as he waves to the three, "Morning! Where's Kriv?"

M
M
<Bern>

He smiles when he sees the others, then takes a moment to look around. He is mostly curious to see if anyone is paying particular attention to them.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She spotted Jaliera's familiar perched high up on an eave. Not that it was easy to see. "Whisper", as she'd heard Jaliera call the spirit, took pains not to stand out. But Owls are nocturnal creatures, and not so prevalent in large, populated settings, so seeing one during the day, in a town square was unusual enough to draw her attention.

So, knowing the spirit would tell Jaliera of their presence she simply waits and observes the area around them.

When the others arrive, she nods. "He chose to wait in case we passed each other along the way. We can go back and get him. How was your evening?"

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 25/01/21 14:27 UTC.
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

"I think he has a foot spa booked." Offers Arus in light jest, following on from Zhu's answer about Kriv.

He's glad to see the rest of the party in fine fettle, though looking at their accommodation he doesn't regret staying at the Pearl-Handle.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Jaliera is grinning at Arus's quip before she turns to answer Zhu.

"Had a great evening. Entertaining at the Wink & Kiss and then very comfortably here. I am so stuffed from breakfast."

She does seem in a very upbeat mood.

"How was the Pearl Handle?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He offered one word "exquisite." He considered and added "best night's sleep I have had in a long while. The food was quite the variety, I am sure you could have found whatever you wanted and had your fill."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He smiles naturally and nods in agreement with Sindar.

"It was a night to remember."

Arus leads the party back to the inn---they can walk and talk---but the aim is to gather up Kriv and share their findings and their plans.

M
M
<Bern>

He leaves his 'watching' ... mostly ... to join the others as they head back to pack up and leave.

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He replies to Zhu question with, "Very good. Mind if it wasn't for Bern's quick eye, I would be poorer as a lady thief tried to steal from me at the tavern."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Standing outside Beldabar's Rest, just off the bustling fish market. The large open area is filled with a maze-like agglomeration of stalls selling all sorts of goods. The group there needs to decide whether to go reunite with Kriv and the Pearl-Handled Pipe or to check out some of the leads they had acquired.

-Nep
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

If no objections present, Arus will lead his companions back to the Pearl-Handle and collect Kriv. The Dragonborn's strength may be of great benefit to the party in the tight confines of a parlour or passageway, in a way that more destructive and longer range tools might not.

"So Bern, prithy tell me, this sneak-thief Davroar speaks of; what gave her away?"

M
M
<Bern>

He joined the group as they moved under Arus' lead.

"It was the fact that I could feel her hand going for me purse", he said with a grin. "Why? Is it important?"

MikeD
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

"I doubt it." The triton says, shaking his head, "Probably one of the Hand. Yartar's thieves guild. All female."

He turns to Bern as he walks, a wolfish smile.

"Still... in a bar, late night clientele. Perhaps she was trying to cop a feel of something other than thy purse?"

M
M
<Bern>

"Then she has a =lot= to learn about anatomy", he said with a wicked grin.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She tries to ignore the subject of the good natured joshing going on between Arus and Bern, a little close to her own situation the night before. Nor does she want to get into a discussion about the Hand. That too is a subject which invokes unhappy memories.

Instead she takes a step or two closer to Davroar and looks around her with interest.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He laughs at Berns joke, and finding Jaliera close to his side he reaches out to hold her hand and quietly says to her with a playful smile, "Gotcha now. Better hold your hand than lose any more coin."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: Are you all heading back to meet up with Kriv as suggested earlier?

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Zhu intends to, especially since she was going to join Kriv in some of his activities today.)

M
M
[[ bern would prefer to keep the group together ]]

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Sindar has things to do, but he would rather take someone with them. But for now back to Kriv.]

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Yes ]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The larger group takes the short walk, jostling through the Fishyard market towards the Pearl-handled Pipe with no incidents. They have little trouble finding Kriv, or better said, he has little trouble spotting them as they walk down the steps towards the dining hall. He is sitting in his fine city clothes at a different table now, a cup of his favorite beverage inches from his talon.

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She waves at Kriv as they approach, unsure if they are staying or going.

M
M
<Bern>

"So now that we are all together ... what now", he asked.

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: Let's see if I can help you out. You have a LOT of leads to either share, partially share or track down individually. There are rumors of things which may or may not be pieces to a larger puzzle, a strange old house and a secret society called the Kraken Society. in The main leads, however are:

• the Waterbaron Kriv and Zhu have both indicated a desire to see her.
  • Aldis, at the Lionshield Coster. Arus mentioned that he might be a connection to the...
  • Hands of Yartar who have been implicated by some. Arus knew one by name, Scimitar Sally.

Since you were split up, the sharing of information is incomplete.

You now need a plan. Remember that the current "quest" is to find out what happened to young Lord Artan Rossolio, who you found floating in the river inside a cocoon.

-Nep
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

The history of the Kraken Society in Yartar takes some time to relay but relay it Arus does, while they walk.

So by the time they rendesvous with Kriv, the Dragonborn doesn't have to hear it a second time.

But once they've regrouped, Arus let's them know his plan for the morning.

"I need one of you to back me up. I visit Aldis this morn on Lionshield business but I plan to quiz his security guard about the Hands of Yartar and the Kraken Society. Her name is Scimitar Sally and she's one of the Hands."

He could go alone but that will limit his options. And as superior a race as tritons are, they don't have eyes in the backs of their heads.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Since most of what she found out regarded the Kraken Society she lets Arus explain it to the others. She does mention that she's already heard tales of their caravan journey and the attack on Triboar spreading, so they could talk about those things if they want to without it being seen as odd.

She nods to Kriv once they return and says, "We will be paying a visit to the Waterbaron. No telling how long we may have to wait to see her, so we should make up a place and a time to meet."

M
M
<Bern>

"I don't have anything in particular, so I can go with you Arus."

Last edited by Neptune; Fri 05/02/21 16:25 UTC. Reason: FIFY - Tam err.... Bern

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: The assumption is that you are all sitting at a table in the dining hall of the Pearl-handled Pipe, a short while after breakfast. Most other patrons have left, the crew is cleaning up for lunch.

-Nep
M
M
[[ if you say so <g> But we all just met in the street <wink> ]]

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: Most of you met in the street but Kriv never left the Pipe and there was general consensus to go meet with him. This is like trying to herd cats!]

Last edited by Neptune; Fri 05/02/21 17:02 UTC.

-Nep
M
M
[[ and =old= cats at that ... meow <weg> ]]

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
[Meow... getting ready to run off to the old house.....]

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Didn't read the other thread, prefer not to where I'm not involved so no idea Kraken Soc or old house ]

AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv

The Dragonborn's expression and tone were studiously neutral as he began, "I applaud Zhu for an excellent guess, or all of you for a swift search, but I strongly recommend that if any of us suddenly decide on a whim"

Cold, gold eyes passed over each of the humans in turn,

"...to head out on your own for a while, that you do the rest of us the courtesy of arranging a rendezvous afterward, so that we don't need to rely on guesses, searches, or indeed leaving someone back at the last known point of common contact before we get to work. Now, given I'm on my own and who we're going after, my bona fide:"

Kriv held a claw just above the ground and discreetly summoned the glassstaff to it horizontally, gently placing it noiselessly down.

"Not something that can easily be copied. Now, I have not been idle: Zhu, I'll fill you in on what more I was able to glean of the Water Baron's recent issues on our way there. Nothing further on the Kraken society save the name is fearsome, and a few pithy words pertaining to the Hand of Yartar, who only employ women and have a reputation for being both difficult and unwise to find. Were we able to collectively bring everyone up to speed on the way over, or are there further details that would best be urgently shared among us before we all head off?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Still seeing some looks of uncertainty, she adds to the description. "From what I can determine, the Kraken Society is a secret society of thieves, assassins and mages in the Savage Frontier. Arus has been looking for them. The local Thieves Guild is called the 'Hand of Yartar' and they are mostly, maybe all, female. Also, there is an old abandoned House on the outskirts of town that is reputed to be Haunted but might be worth looking at."

She pauses a moment, then adds: "Oh, also, I heard that at the Cointoss, if you can toss a coin through the eye slit of a helm, you earn a free drink."

She shrugs. That last meant nothing to her, but maybe some are interested.

Finally, she addresses Kriv's comment. "Well, since we aren't staying at Belabar's, and those who are not guests seem to be discouraged from waiting there, I'd suggest we meet back here", she gestures to the Pearl Handles Pipe. "Say every even numbered hour if you are not busy everyone will come back to check in? Also leave a message with the desk if no one joins you and you feel the need to go off on your own?"

Last edited by Zeim; Sat 06/02/21 19:16 UTC.
M
M
<Bern>

"I don't have anything to offer at this point. If no one else does, I think Arus and I should get going. Don't want to be out too late", he finished with a grin.

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: I'll let everyone get a chance to chime in. It would be helpful if each of you indicate what your next stop will be.

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Just a few additions. I have a contact in town now who is looking into things for us so there might be more later. I can confirm that the Hand are all female. My contact suggested that the Waterbaron may be more knowledgeable on the giant or noble issues but that I might not be the best person to make that approach. There are rumours about nobles disappearing but at this stage still just rumours. We have confirmed that the Doppleganger has been around recently as he was seen in the Wink and Kiss where he spent time with one of the girls. I have asked they watch for him but I'm not sure if they will tell us. Also were were advised not to make enemies of the Hand as they could be a good source of information. If we stay in town longer, we are likely to stay at Beldebar's again. Food and privacy are good. The underground area there apparently links a number of warehouses."

She pauses having ticked off the items on her fingers to make sure she didn't forget anything.

"Davroar and I were intending to ask around town about the giants to see if we could find out anything. However, we could check out this house first. And good idea on ways to keep contact Zhu."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She looks around the group and nods. "I will accompany Kriv to the Waterbaron. I had an interest in looking at the abandoned House next, so I'd be availabel to accompany any who choose to do that if they do it later on."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He has fond memories of the Cointoss.

"Maybe one for later." He says to Zhu, then nods to Bern.

It's still early---restaurants are only just clearing the decks ready for lunch---but time is pressing and they hadn't planned on a lengthy stay in Yartar.

"Come then, Bern."

Time to go. To the rest of the party, Arus says: "As with Zhu's idea, we'll be here when the next even hour strikes. See you then."

And then he's underway to the Lionshield Coster with Bern.

M
M
<Bern>

He is grinning as he turns to follow Arus.

MikeD
AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv

"On the even hour, then."

Once he and Zhu were underway, he began quietly,

"It's a complicated, very human affair involving a murdered man, his wife, his lover and her being cleared of all charges and insisting it not be raised in her presence again. With me so far?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She raises an eyebrow at the non-sequitur. "The wife being cleared or the lover?" She asks, it not being clear to her from the initial comment. "And is this related to anything about the Lordling, or a completely unrelated item?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc: OK, I have...
Zhu and Kriv off to the Waterbaron.
Bern and Arus off to the Lionshield Coster

I didn't see a definitive of where Jaliera, Davroar and Sindar are off to. Feel free to tag along with others. I'll create new threads as soon as you split up.

As for the time, let's call this 10am, so you can gather back here for lunch.

Last edited by Neptune; Mon 08/02/21 23:03 UTC.

-Nep
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He listened and watched people depart. He had wanted to go to the house while others were doing things, but as it stands, he didn't want to go to the house alone, in case it proved to be interesting.

"I will avail myself of the local area, and return for lunch." He agrees with the group as a general plan. After lunch, they can check out the house.

Till then if he is on his own, he will see what information he can dig up, listening and plying people around the Pipe.

AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv

Having said he'd fill Zhu in en route, he clarified, still keeping his volume soft,

"This is the nature of the Water Baron's recent troubles. She's the lover in this rather unfortunate triangle. The man's name was Kaidrod Palyr, with the accusations of murder getting levelled at the Water Baron subsequent to an argument with Palyr's wife, but prior to the revelation of infidelity. It would be a bad idea to raise these issues directly in the Water Baron's presence, she does not wish to speak of it and would likely see those that invoked it, fared poorly. All of the details are not known, there are those pointing the finger at the Hand of Yartar but nothing substantiated. As for connections to that excuse for a scion, it could be part of a wider campaign against the nobility as Jaliera alluded to."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He will stick with Jaliera and asks, "So, I guess we ask around the caravan drivers about the giants?"

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"We are going to wander around town to see what we can find out. You are welcome to come with us Sindar."

She smiles at him.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Hmmm", she nods at the added details. "Thank you for the warning. It could indeed be part of a larger plot to destabilize the power structure here. Determining who stands to gain is usually the best place to start looking for culprits."

"By the way, did you know this before, or did you learn this sitting in the Inn waiting for us? Maybe we would be better served just sitting around eating and drinking all day?" She chuckles.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He hurries after Zhu and the dragon born.

AJ Online Content
Online Content
Kriv

"As I said, I do not spend my time idly. I took the various leads we accrued last night and saw if I could expand upon them further with the morning crowd. Mixed results, but on the whole not unsuccessful. It's more that we're not going to get to the bottom of any of this walking through town, looking for, and talking to, our own little group alone."

The dragonborn paused and glanced back, seeing Sindar approach.

"Another for the Water Baron delegation, is it? All right, from the top..."

Kriv reiterated his words with Zhu to the latecomer, at a suitably discreet volume.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc: To be clear, since it's obvious to your characters, any report about "giants" that you've heard were likely spread by guards and drivers from YOUR caravan about your encounters with fire giants in Triboar and hill giants on the way to Yartar. Basically, your exploits are being talked about. Isn't fun to be the rumor?

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She shrugs. Perhaps Sindar didn't hear her. Unless somehow she offended him in some way.

Turning to Davroar, she smiles, pleased to be spending some more time alone with him.

"So try the market first?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Player completely missed it. I was reacting to the "your character is not going to do anything productive" post, so tried to pick one of the two groups that Sindar might be useful.]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The group actually leaves together. All of their destinations lie in the same direction. They walk down the street towards the Fishyard. As they get to the edge of it, Arus points to the right and indicates that they are standing right outside Waterbaron Hall. Kriv, Zhu and Sindar had indicated they they were going to try and meet with the Waterbaron herself. and that he's headed further down that way to the Lionshield Coster where Arus and Bern hoped to meet up with a contact from the Hand of Yartar. Jaliera and Davroar were going to mill about and perhaps go from shop to shop to see what they could learn.

OOC: I'm going to create 3 separate threads and here's a map showing where everyone other that Jaliera and Davroar are headed. Before we do that, you can change your destination...

Attached Images
Y3.jpg (173.24 KB, 302 downloads)
Last edited by Neptune; Wed 10/02/21 17:44 UTC.

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Neptune explained but I always prefer to react in character. Not a problem, won't start a feud! grin I'm OK with our plan if Davroar is? smile ]

M
M
[[ bern is working with Arus, so nothing that needs 'adjusting' on =MY= part ]]

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ok. That sounds good.

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Sounds like everyone is set, pending Sindar choosing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
AquaDyne
AquaDyne
Seattle, Washington, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,433
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy