Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 15 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
<heh heh heh> That means that your DM is =not= in charge. Always a bad thing for a game ... most of the time <weg>

MikeD
The DM is in charge.

DMs have many roles, but one of the most important is as judge. Rules are the tool that DM's need to keep harmony. Unpopular judgments that are believed to be DM whim result in anger. Decisions supported by rules land much better.

-Nep
M
M
I can't tell you how many 'local games' ... 'failed' because the GM =had= to be totally in control <sigh>

As far as =I= am concerned, a game is a 'collaboration' between the GM and the players. While the GM is the 'last word' ... a 'dictator' will not have a long running campaign. The GM and the players have to work together to make a game that works in the long run!!!

MikeD
You misread what I said. I never used the word "control". I said "in charge". Big difference. Being in charge means that the DM has the responsibility to make the decision. Achieving that doesn't preclude collaboration.

-Nep
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Aye, although different games put different emphasis on what GMing is, from a D&D perspective I think the DM is narrator and umpire... and if designing their own adventures, game designer too. I always found this latter role---game designer---to take up the most time and cause most distress.

That's why games like Pandemonium mentioned, Risus, Powered by the Apocalypse, etc., where you play to find out what happens next, no prep work required, are favoured by me as a GM these days.

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
October

Goodman Games
Original Adventures Reincarnated #6: The Temple of Elemental Evil
Dungeon Crawl Classics: Greatest Thieves in Lankhmar Boxed Set

Green Ronin Publishing
Ships of the Expanse RPG HC

Japanime Games
Glitter Hearts RPG Sourcebook HC

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Guns & Gears
Pathfinder Spell Cards: Secrets of Magic
Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Night of the Gray Death
Starfinder Tech Revolution Pawn Collection
Starfinder Flip-Tiles: City Alien Planet Ruins Expansion
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Strength of Thousands Part 4 - Secrets of the Temple-City
Pathfinder Lost Omens: The Grand Bazaar
Pathfinder Adventure: Night of the Gray Death

Renegade Game Studios
Vampire: The Masquerade: Storyteller Screen & Toolkit
Vampire: The Masquerade: The Book of Nod

Wizards of the Coast
Fizban's Treasury of Dragons

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Gem dragons arriving in 5e (Fizban's Treasury of Dragons). "Finally" some would say but I've never been a fan of gem dragons. Visually, to me an emerald dragon is a green dragon, and from a GM's perspective, why do I need a Neutral dragon? If I intend to use it in my game it must be doing something meaningful in the story, so likely either Good or Evil.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Well, Neutral Dragons would strive for balance, so if the Good Dragons were coming out on top they would help the Evil Dragons. If the Evil Dragons were coming out ahead they would help the Good Dragons. Some possibilities for flighty play if you never really know which side they would be on.

Regarding, The Greatest Thieves in Lankhmar

"Ill Met in Lankhmar" is one of my favorite stories of all time, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser being probably my favorite fantasy stories in general. Yet, I've never been that compelled to buy any of the sanctioned roleplaying tie-ins to the world. I own a few things from Dungeon Crawl Classics, short modules that I adapted to D&D/Pathfinder. I just don't like the DCC system that seems to revel in my least favorite parts of OD&D. And yet, I like Black Hack well enough which is kind of the same concept but a lot cheaper. I think it's the kind of jokey, don't care about your characters, everyone gets killed by the DM style of DCC. It's surprising they got the coup to make so much sanctioned Lankhmar stuff. I'd be interested in checking it out but their Kickstarter is all about how no one survives to even get halfway through it. I just feel like... who is that fun for? Anyone can make something up that's over-difficult to survive, right? Why buy it?

And, aesthetically, I've just never cared for the art in DCC products. It always looks so washed out and dull, despite the concepts. I'm surprised they don't seek out additional talent there.

Last edited by Vryx; Fri 24/09/21 01:59 UTC.
Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
November

Atlas Games
Magical Kitties: Fantastica
Magical Kitties: Power Up!

Goodman Games
Mutant Crawl Classics #11: The Omnivary of EDEN

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Hero Point Deck
Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Jungle Multi-Pack
Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Ghost Towns
Pathfinder Flip-Tiles: Dungeon Crypts Expansion
Starfinder Adventure Path: Horizons of the Vast Part 3 - Whispers of the Eclipse
Starfinder Flip-Mat: Lava World
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Strength of Thousands Part 5 - Doorway to the Red Star

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Magical Kitties? Cool.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Atlas Games have got some really interesting lines at the moment. I don't think I've read the latest editions of Feng Shui and Unknown Armies, but they look the business!

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
December

Atlas Games
Feng Shui: We'll Temporarily Have Paris

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Spell Cards: Secrets of Magic
Starfinder Adventure Path: Horizons of the Vast Part 4 - Icebound
Starfinder Spell Cards
Starfinder Flip-Tiles: Space Station Corridors Expansion
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Strength of Thousands Part 6 - Shadows of the Ancients
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Absalom, City of Lost Omens
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Monsters of Myth
Pathfinder Flip-Mat Classics: Tavern Multi-Pack

Wizards of the Coast
Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Hmm, so Wizards are continuing their D&D/Magic: The Gathering crossover with Strixhaven: A Cirriculum of Chaos.

Although it makes total sense to leverage your IPs in this way, I do wonder what interest CCG players would have in an RPG like D&D.

I mean, yes they're both tabletop games but otherwise not very similar and who has time to play both?*

*Answer: Students. Ah OK, I'll shut up.

M
M
Although it makes total sense to leverage your IPs in this way, I do wonder what interest CCG players would have in an RPG like D&D.

=My= thinking is that it =could= be more about 'drawing' new players in ... rather than 'placating' existing 'fans'.

MikeD
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Yeah, true, I guess the MTG setting is a bit more whimsical too, so Forgotten Realms fans won't get there noses put out by more humorous material like Strixhaven: A Cirriculum of Chaos.

I remember a lot of Mystara fans were angry when TSR released Top Ballista, a sort of fantasy Top Gun parody with gnomes flying biplanes. To be fair it was very silly but when I read Top Ballista now I quite like its unpretentiousness. smile

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Speaking of crossovers between Magic and D&D, have you seen this Magic expansion?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/forgotten-realms

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Hah, nice, Argus! I like how they've made the classic adventure modules into cards. Clever.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
jackie9979, Double Glazing P, Tarien, The Morrigan, Mixie
163 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Saph
Member Spotlight
Mina
Mina
California, U.S.A.
Forum Statistics
Forums74
Topics2,306
Posts111,870
Members163
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy