Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (MikeD), 3 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Online Content
M
Neil, you offering to 'clean' mine?? <gd&r>

Ken, I feel ya on =that= one!! I have to keep some glasses here in case there is something I actually have to read stuff (Luckily I can adjust the text size here <whew>)

MikeD
Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
July

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Abomination Vaults Pawn Collection
Pathfinder Flip-Mat Classics: Museum
Starfinder Adventure Path: Horizons of the Vast Part 1 - Planetfall
Starfinder Flip-Tiles: Space Station Docking Bay Expansion
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Fists of the Ruby Phoenix Part 3 - King of the Mountain
Pathfinder Lost Omens: The Mwangi Expanse
Deep Magic for D&D 5th Edition
Midgard Worldbook (5E)
Pathfinder Secrets of Magic Special Edition
Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Bigger Island
Pathfinder Flip-Tiles: Fortress Starter Set
Starfinder Flip-Mat: Forest Moon
Starfinder Pawns: Fly Free or Die Pawn Collection
Starfinder Adventures: Junker's Delight
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Strength of Thousands Part 1 - Kindled Magic
Tome of Beasts 2 Pocket Edition

Renegade Game Studios
Vampire: The Masquerade: Core Rulebook for D&D 5E
Vampire: The Masquerade: Anarch Sourcebook
Vampire: The Masquerade: Camarilla Sourcebook

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
August

Chaosium
RuneQuest: The Red Book of Magic
Call of Cthulhu: Children of Fear

Cubicle 7
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Soulbound Champions of Order

Mongoose Publishing
Traveller: Solomani Adventure 2 - The Bell of Rocamadour
Traveller Utility Pack

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Secrets of Magic
Pathfinder Bestiary 3 Battle Cards
Starfinder Tech Revolution
Starfinder Adventure Path: Horizons of the Vast Part 2 - Serpents in the Cradle
Starfinder Flip-Tiles: City Alien Quarter Expansion
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Strength of Thousands Part 2 - Spoken on the Song Wind

Renegade Game Studios
Vampire: The Masquerade: Sabbat: The Black Hand

Steve Jackson Games
Deluxe Dice Bag: Festive Owls

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Thanks! smile

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Did you see the news yesterday about Games Workshop being valued higher than M&S on the London Stock Exchange?

They've done incredibly well from the pandemic, ironically, and gave all their staff a £5K bonus as thanks!

Apparently the latest edition of Warhammer 40K has really took off (compared to Age of Sigmar, which divided the fanbase). I'll have to watch a few reviews, find out what the fuss is about.

And what's this about the Sabbat being reintroduced to Vampire: The Masquerade? I guess it was inevitable but personally I thought it was one of the best decisions they made in the new version of V:TM.

Anyway, thanks Argus! kiss

M
Online Content
M
Always interesting!! Thanks Argus!

MikeD
nem, I just picked up the new edition of Warhammer FRPG because I was in the mood to dig into some new rules and a comically non-epic roleplay system among all the very powered-up current games. My friend and I had a splendid time just rolling up characters that just seem so doomed, one of them even has the special trait that gives no advantages other than if they die -- in only a particular way -- then your NEXT character gets half their xp to start. My poor 5' 1" Reiklander apprentice boatman... desperately hoping to drown so next character can use a sword or something. Hahaha, it's great.

Though, I guess this isn't even Games Workshop anymore, it's Cubicle 7 Games.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Hey now, I like having the Sabbat as bad guys.

It isn't every day you get spanged over the head with a shovel and have to dig your way out of your grave to your new unlife! grin

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Vryx. Good old times! Has anyone read a comparison between Cubicle 7's Warhammer FRPG and Zweihänder, which iirc was based on 2nd Ed Warhammer FRP?

Pandemonium. I like the evil of the Sabbat and much of their material, it's an important element to a vampire game. But I just never believed the Masquerade would stand up with a whole sect of vampires rampaging in public.

In earlier editions of V:TM there were entire Sabbat cities and that made no sense to me.

I can tell you *my* comparison because those were my two choices to scratch this recent itch.

They had to get Zweihander "out of the back" for me because the damn thing was too big for the shelves. Seriously it was like 2" thick! And priced to match (though I've heard you can get the pdf for very cheap). There's no color art in it and the art wasn't as good as the Cubicle 7 and I just kinda went, "Sorry, back to the loch with you, Nessie" on Zweihander.

Warhammer FRPG is complex enough! Zweihander seemed even more so. Just reading through the combat rules of Warhammer, it sounds like it will take a couple hours just to get TPK'd by a single goblin.

Last edited by Vryx; Wed 28/07/21 20:10 UTC.
I don't know about the wargame but the Age of Sigmar RPG is excellent. It's like Exalted if Exalted had a system that didn't make everyone without a mathematics degree want to cry.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I didn't realise they'd done an Age of Sigmar RPG. Nice one, Saph. Another Cubicle 7 work, subtitled Soulbound. Looks like it uses a dice pool mechanic, so going to be quite different to Warhammer Fantasy RP.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the Age of Sigmar setting, I think it was a savvy move by Games Workshop as most popular videos games have tended towards heroic gameplay with a set of iconic (and trademarked) heroes that can be cosplayed and memed and so on. AoS can feed off of that, whereas Oldhammer was more grimdark and fatalistic.

Vryx. After your description I sought out a page count for the core book and it's about 700 pages!! eek Absolutely ludicrous!

M
Online Content
M
I dunno ... it would seem to give 'players' a great deal of 'background' to work with. Think abut how many 'pages' there are =now= for D&D <g>

MikeD
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
True, MikeD. It could be all great material, I just pity the GM who has to lug it around. grin

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Yeah, DMing in person has always been good exercise. I used to have to carry a backpack for 3 source books (over 1000 pages all together), DM screens, dice, graph paper for mapping (I know I am dating myself), pencils, and more. In D&D 3.5 it was worse as they printed books for everything, classes had their own books, game worlds, spells, and more. As I recall it was at least 8-10 books to lug around.

On-line is much simpler, but has also added at least 10 pounds to my waist.

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
September

Cubicle 7
Enemy Within Campaign Volume 3: Power Behind the Throne
Enemy Within Campaign Volume 3: Power Behind the Throne Companion

Goodman Games
Dungeon Crawl Classics: The Empire of the East

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Fists of the Ruby Phoenix Pawn Collection
Pathfinder Flip-Tiles: Fortress Walls & Towers Expansion
Starfinder Flip-Mat: Space Colony
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Strength of Thousands Part 3 - Hurricane's Howl
Pathfinder Flip-Mat Classics: Thieves' Guild
Starfinder Adventure: The Liberation of Locus-1

Steve Jackson Games
GURPS 4th Edition Dice Bag

Wizards of the Coast
Dungeon Master's Screen: Dungeon Kit
D&D Adventure: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight
The Witchlight Carnival: Dice & Miscellany

I've been in for a penny, in for a pound on the Enemy Within Campaign books that each come with a companion. What am I doing?!? grin

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Well at least they offer proper PDFs, so you don't have to end up like Zeim 3.5. lol I remember all those splatbooks, it got totally insane!

Say, whilst looking at the Enemy Within Campaign I noticed Cubicle 7 are producing modules for Foundry VTT. Anyone have any experience with it?

I've not seen Foundry. Just Roll20 and Tabletop Simulator.

Things is I hate PDFs so I guess I'm getting all these books... I think at least with the campaign books you only need one adventure at a time. I could see the companion books being persistently useful.

But it's hard enough for me to run my monthly Pathfinder game which is in its fifth year or something of this adventure and we're only 85% through the second of six modules. From what I've read about Warhammer RPG one combat might take multiple sessions. grin So yeah, definitely comparing the volume of material to my life expectancy at this point.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
It got so bad, Neil, that they completely gave up trying to have any internal consistency across Rulebooks and Compendiums. There were complete contradictions everywhere and they way overused the cop-out, "The DM decides".

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 27/08/21 19:11 UTC.
M
Online Content
M
Well ... to be fair Zeim ... it has =ALWAYS= been at the DM's discretion as to what to use and how to use it <shrug> There have =always= been 'discrepancies' between 'sources' <shrug>

Last edited by MikeD; Fri 27/08/21 20:03 UTC.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Play Risus, then you only need one sheet!

M
Online Content
M
Sadly ... all the folks I used to live play with are ... <sigh> ... gone now.

MikeD
My brother is going to take over our FTF game in a couple of months and is going to run on Foundry VTT. I've play-tested just a tad with him and so far, so good. I have used Roll20 quite a bit but am curious how Foundry holds up.

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
That is true, MikeD, but when you play with a bunch of Rules Lawyers it is very helpful when the rulebooks are consistent.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
jackie9979, Double Glazing P, Tarien, The Morrigan, Mixie
163 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Saph
Member Spotlight
AJ
AJ
Hertfordshire, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums74
Topics2,306
Posts111,869
Members163
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy