Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gypsy), 28 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lyric, a Midwinter Musician

The Minstrel nodded at each introduction and informed Michi, the betrothed of Keiko, that she was honored to meet him, and all of them, and grateful that he dispatched a couple of the teens to gather some instruments and grateful they went with such haste and glee. She mouthed a silent 'Thank you' to Keiko. It was so much more enjoyable to share music among friends than it was to simply perform it. Music was a part of her very being and her soul, just as much as her name stated it should be. She wanted to share and laugh and even to learn. After all, there might be a song, a special song, to be heard this night. Lyric smiled to herself at the notion that the Song that could save her people might really be an actual song and not just a metaphor. As Cesare was being introduced she slipped away to allow her Rhoni friends their privacy. It seemed the Rhoni were very protective of their identity and all that had come and gone to make them who they are as a people. Lyric could understand and respect that. She returned to her rock, playing as she did, and watching the Black Unicorn dancing with the black haired girl who had been sitting in the tree.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Midwinter’s Hill
Restday, the Twenty-Fifth day of Crown of Ice

Bekkah, Cesare, Daxia, Keiko, Lyric and All the Hilltop Guests

Now, dancing with a unicorn, especially a black warrior unicorn, was a very silly thing indeed. After Daxia’s comment and his attempt to prance, the young woman’s exuberance proved too much for Morning Star as the Tree Girl apparently stole the lead — against all protocol and propriety. She danced her own bright jig, with the unicorn in the center now looking bemused. She was delighted at his confusion as he tried desperately to keep up and catch her, especially when she made the stalwart unicorn pivot in place trying to keep track of where she skipped.

To the side, Broke and Captain Koromov, once introduced, looked at each other suspiciously. They circled one another, sizing one another up. One was a wolf-kin, one a Trundle alley rat; at that moment, their true heritages and upbringings were obvious for all to see. While the Koromov and the Guardian measured each other, it was Harry who had to pick his jaw up from the ground. It wasn’t because this new friend of their friend had pointed ears and a muzzle but rather the veritable Khorall’s ransom in Darksteel she wore.

It was Broke who spoke first.

“Soooooooooooooooooo... you are the one who hangs my best friend from the rafters?”

Dandelion Koromov put her hands on her hips and replied fiercely, “Ja. So?”

Broke inched forward until they were nose to snout.

“My job.”

To the side, Dominic peered past Emerald and smiled. He gave Dandelion his best gotcha look. However, the Koromov didn’t back down.

“And when you aren’t there when your best friend is being an idiot?”

Dominic’s eyes went wide. He blinked. The wuffess was quiet for a heartbeat and, without backing away either, just tilted her head.

“You have my permission. Now.”

Dominic facepalmed, literally covering his face with his hand as Emerald lightly poked him in the side and giggled.

The Koromov gave Broke another two-word reply. “Fair enough.”

Still muzzle to nose, Broke had one last firm and determined question — the important question. “Ja. So. What about that beer?”

That caught the master strategist off guard enough to blink, go wide-eyed herself, and then suddenly laugh, rocking back and forth. She was the one who turned aside and nodded to Harry and Garrick.

“See? Told you I was going to like her.”

It was Garrick who explained the wager to Daxia, as Harry was still too interested in Broke’s gear and Dandelion was seeking Rory’s beer with the newest Dayalan.

“Oh, that. Well, of course, Dandelion bet it had to do with a girl. I bet that it had to do with the girl’s father. And Harry? He bet that it had to do with the girl’s father, a handful of brothers, and a mother with a rolling pin.

“Usually, Harry’s right and no matter who wins, it’s always hilarious watching Dom squirm as he tries to figure a way out without leaving anyone hurt.”

It was then that two things happened. The Tree Girl ended her dance with the unicorn with a spectacular skirt-flaring twirl, and Rin and Akira returned from the Rhoni camp. They brought back a collection of instruments, exactly what they might be temporarily hidden with finely decorated leather satchels and fancy quilted bags. Akira brought out a pair of long-necked instruments with three strings, an instrument unfamiliar to Lyric. Akira handed one to Jiro, and they shared a conspiratorial look.

The night's music had begun.

Dominic laughed. With his own dashing flourish, his black cloak snapping out dramatically as if it were alive, he gathered a happy Mouse into his arms. He swept her into a dance that fit them — not stodgy and formal, but light and bright and full of laughter and life. The black-haired lass held up a hand and put her finger to her lips, not as much to make folks silent but to let the couple have this for themselves — their very first dance. Only when the first song segued to the second did she swoop across the hill to pull Bekkah into a bright country-style step.

“And you think you are hiding that melancholy behind so very, very pretty eyes! You know and I know that at the very end of the night, when the bride tosses her bouquet into the air, you are going to be the one that catches it.”

For Lyric, this was something new... and so much more. It was a challenge. This was a type of music she had never heard before, no ballad or simple evening’s light fare. It was complex, a different set of rhythms based on a different set of scales. One of the lads, Jiro, beckoned her close so that she could both listen and watch, and then slowly, then ever-faster with each measure, join in.

The Rhoni laughed. Despite the extreme differences in their lives, their homes, their cultures, this was something they could share.

“Squuueeeeeeaaaaaaaaaakkkk!”

Tomomi was the black-haired lass’ third victim. To tell the truth, the little Mouse spent most of her time with her feet swept off the ground! She was, at the end of that festive tune, returned to Keiko, their last spin ending perfectly with the swaying Mouse looking up at her forever friend.

“Ooooo. Dizzy!”

Luckily for Cesare, the Tree Girl had a lot of victims between her and him, giving him time to speak with Michi and Keiko before he too would be swept into a dance. In a way, it was very interesting. By keeping to her word and dancing with everyone, the black-haired girl was both entrancing and, at the same time, completely harmless. For Michi, this was all very new, too. That his betrothed befriended a lone Rhoni, that could be expected. But a Mouse, a Wuff, a Noble, and a Minstrel was not what anyone could call normal at all. But riding the waves — being able to accept the currents of the world and how quickly they shifted and changed — was, at the heart of things, what it meant to be Rhoni.

For Tray, the young woman stood on a rock so she could look the tall High Seneschal in the eyes. When their dance was over, she offered him a courtly bow and a simple pair of words.

“Thank you.”

Even the two foxes that circled the base of the hill joined in, if one could call the playful game of tag that they played a dance.

Bekkah

She tapped her foot and clapped to the music where appropriate, smiling the entire time. She would gladly dance with any that asked her, in fact at times, she seemed to be dancing in her mind as the music played. Considering the evils in the forest that they'd faced along with other evils just to get to this point, it was wonderful to just relax and enjoy life. It was for moment's like this that people like Dazi fought evil.

Then in a swirl of her dance, the tree girl pulled Bekkah up and she was twirling around to the hypnotic music. Her smile grew as it always did when she danced. At the girl's next words, Bekkah raised an eyebrow in surprise.

"We shall see. Still it is but a silly tradition. It is hardly a gage of things to come." she said completely dismissing the idea.

Last edited by Nivek; Mon 16/07/18 14:29 UTC.
Lyric, both master and student

And she did watch, but more importantly she listened. Some of the 'watching' she did was with her eyes closed. She felt the music from the 3 stringed instruments, she watched the handwork they used to deftly work the paddle-like blade of a pick. Their instruments had a twang that lent itself to a 'folksy' style of play but the rhythm and speed at which they played lent itself to a unique style that sounded and felt very cultural. They had fun doing it, and that seemed to be the most significant aspect of what she was seeing, hearing, and feeling. Possibly there was an element of showing off a little as well, and that was good. It was more like a real session then. Playing for each other and those who watched and listened and danced could feel the real and raw energy of the musicians.

Cocking her head from side to side she learned the musical style quickly. It wasn't so far different than some of the things she had experimented on her own. Okay, it was different, but the point was that Lyric could adapt to the differences and it didn't phase her at all. Most of what she had been playing since leaving her home had been tailored to what she believed was a common 'folksy' style anyway. It wasn't all that she knew.

And so, when it was time for her to add her instrument to their song, in harmony and in counterpoint. Lyric matched them and played with them. It was their song and so she supported them as a proper musician's etiquette demanded. besides, maybe one of both of the Rhoni boys were looking to impress the Rhoni girls.

And then she chose to introduce them to something a little different. The rhythm, the finger picking, and the change the tempo would reveal a new style that she felt these two could learn given what they just played with the instruments they had (which, she was feeling fairly confident were not designed with the boys style in mind)

Maybe this sounds like a song about a battle from an age long ago

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko khal’Nakano Hoshiko
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet? Nope, not yet...]

Michi looked at Keiko, surprise written large on his face. “Mother and Father were both Lost?”

She smiled but shook her head. “Only khal’Horosha means “Wanderer,” Michi.”

He looked at her quizzically for a moment before nodding. “Ah. The Family Sunaji. So very sad.” Michi clapped Cesare on the shoulder. “While your father’s family seems to have died out — and I say ‘seems to’ because we never know who might be hidden away in places where we haven’t traveled in generations, hai? — you still have kinfolk. Your father’s family is related to Keiko’s.”

Keiko rolled her eyes. “We’re all related, Michi. Some are simply more closely related than others.”

Michi grinned at both of them. “Once Keiko’s Journey is completed, we will be married, and I will be related to you as well!”

Keiko gave him a look of exasperation. “He already is.”

At that, Michi laughed again. “You and Grandmother have been talking, I see. And no doubt I will learn what needs to be learned at the proper time. The Card Readers can be inscrutable, Cesare,” he said to the other man. “There’s no talking them out of it, either. It’s something to expect from the Elders, of course. But when Keiko and Grandmother’s fosterling start sounding like ancient grandmothers, it can be rather unnerving.”

Once again, Keiko nudged her fiancé. “You’re being silly again, Michi. And I thought Yui was quite delightful!”

He nodded. “Yes, dear.” He snickered when she sighed.

“Surely, you can’t have gotten into so much mischief as all that, Cesare,” he continued. “You have found friends in the oddest places, though, just as Keiko has. I almost wish my Elders would give me leave to travel, but my skill is as a swordsmith. Staying with the Family’s caravan and forge-wagon is the best thing for me now — especially since I am not yet the master my father and uncles are!

“But what of this Aunt and Uncle of yours? That would be your mother’s kin?” His dark eyes sparkled with delight. “Why, perhaps I am clever enough to discern your Family by knowing who your mother’s sibling married!”

Keiko laughed. “If not, you will no doubt pester your grandmother until she tells you.”

“Oh, goodness, no! She would drop a wagon on my head!”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Lord Protector, Her Ladyship Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter
[Daxia serves DAYALA... the GM ESPECIALLY should get this right]

Watching her two Temple Sisters get themselves sorted out amused Daxia considerably more than all of Dominic’s machinations. They were family in a way that was difficult to describe even to Kisa, except that Kisa seemed to just understand without Daxia having to use many words at all.

She tapped Harry’s shoulder and whispered as the two Warriors went in search of beer, “Don’t stare, Harry. It’s impolite. Didn’t your mother ever tell you that?” Then she chuckled softly before shaking her head. “And ja, there’s a tale to be told that our young minstrel might repeat for you, although from her words last night and what my sister later told me, it’s not a very nice tale.” She shrugged. “Well, neither was the reality of the ruins, was it? Bad stuff happens, and we go on from there.”

From the corner of her eye, she watched the antics of the Lady and Morning Star. She tried her best not to burst out laughing. She was happy to be distracted by Garrick’s explanation of their wager.

“I don’t doubt the three of you will need to find a new way of moving coins from one purse to another.” Daxia paused as the Rhoni lads began their dance set, and smiled with fondness at the bride and groom dancing for the first time as a married couple. “Ah, sometimes I wished for a brother in addition to my dear sister. That rascal cured me such heretical thoughts. Bekkah and Dominic both have kindness and generosity in abundance. But my sister never thought to cause the level of mischief the young Korie causes.”

She shrugged again, then took Kisa’s hand when she approached. “I do see why so many people call him a dear friend. He has such a big heart. He’s most appealing and charming in small doses, though.”

{ Tadeda No Komo }

When the Lady of the Tree skipped over to Dayala’s youngest priestess and took her hand, Daxia was prepared for the same sort exuberant country dance the others had been treated to. When her partner started a stately minuet-like dance more suited to court, the Dayalan laughed.

“I don’t know why I would be surprised by this turn of events!”

The steps of the dance reminded her of some of the dance-like exercises Cesare had done most days on their journey from Cragside to Talesan’s Village. Although this dance was a once normally accompanied by serious — even dour — expressions, this evening such a thing simply wasn’t possible.

“Thank you for turning Morning Star around in circles, by the way. It’s a joy to have something new to tease him about.”

{ Nikata }

After her ever so proper dance with the black-haired Lady, Daxia found herself standing beside Lady Kara as Kisa danced with the mischievous lass. Two of the young Rhoni women joined their partners, as well — one with some sort of flute and the other a drum.

“If someone had strenuously warned me not to spend the night at Highside Heather,” she said without preamble, “I probably would have heeded the warning. Well, except Kisa seemed to know I’d wind up there, so I probably wouldn’t have had a choice in any case. My Lady has already...” The Dayalan cleared her throat. “...rewarded me for snatching one of Her stars from the sky. As if I could have done anything other than what I did! As if I even knew what I was doing at the time!”

She sighed and looked at Kara. “I hope your Lady isn’t vexed with me as well. Although how one can sleep with the Daughter when the Mother has claimed dominion over the souls, I prefer not to contemplate too deeply.” Dazi smiled brightly. “Perhaps you can share some insight, however, about the one we know only as The Snowqueen. Kisa, in all her scholastic wisdom, hasn’t been able to learn anything about her. Even the Font of All Knowledge over there can’t provide any information that we don’t already know. Who was she? What was she like? From the song, I know she had hard choices to make.”

Then Dazi snorted in a very unladylike fashion. “Of course, that twerp Talesian seems to imply I broke a curse with just the help of a ghost. And he thinks the Dall Gwynn is on the Tarn. So what do songwriters know anyway?”

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He listens to Keiko and Michi, enjoying their repartee, thinking them a good match as below the surface they seem very at ease with each other. But he is also clinging to every word as maybe each will bring him that little step closer to his heritage. And he is beginning to realise maybe how much he has felt adrift over the last few years.

"Related to Keiko?"

Surprised but very pleased with that idea, he questions it further.

"How do you work that out? And I would be very happy to count you as family."

He had thought that he was the only one left in his mother and father's line, so Michi's explanations do not come as a shock but the thought that his father may have gone on to have other children? He is not sure how he feels about that. It might be nice to have half siblings but on the other hand it would seem as though he father had betrayed them He had always promised to return and as a boy that hope, fresh and vital at the start, dwindled a little each year, creating a pain in its place.

"As to mischief, I think I may be a magnet as trouble often seems to find me! Still it does make life interesting at times. And I too use a forge Michi. It is most satisfying to make something beautiful and practical with your own hands."

"My Aunt and Uncle, on my mothe's side were Anya and Riku."

He does not recall their full Rhoni names but maybe he can find out more here?

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet? Nope, not yet...]

She smiled at both men; her look for Michi bordered on indulgent.

“There are many Rhoni Families, and they have varying degrees of relationship to the other Families,” she said to Cesare. “That is what Michi means when he says we are related. Your father’s Family is... Well, I suppose the Gaija would call it cousins to my Family. We see the connectedness and responsibilities a little differently than they might, but to put it in the simplest terms, the Gaija aren’t wrong.”

“And the same would be true for your mother’s Family in relation to me,” Michi said. Then he winked at Keiko. “That narrows it down, you know. I only have four Families to choose from now!”

Rin and Akira returned just then. He was pulling a small cart with many instruments, she carried two multi-colored quilted bags, one of which he handed to Michi. “Don’t talk all night, big brother! I know Keiko will want to be serenaded!” She giggled as she skipped off after Akira.

Keiko looked over at the cart and one satchel in particular. “She isn’t wrong, you know. You play the sota beautifully.”

He handed the bag to her. “It’s a few hours early, I know. But Grandmother’s Cards told her you can carry more than just an ocarina in your pack.

She accepted the gift with grace, admiring the delicate stitching of the embroidery. “Is this your mother’s work? She’s talented enough to make me believe my own mother stitched our Family’s pattern on it.” She looked at him with a grin. “And your Grandmother is correct. I have the use of a horse for now.”

“Goodness! Had I known that I might have gifted you with even more!”

[Linked Image]She giggled. “You make me laugh, Michi. Thank you.” Carefully opening the bag, she slid out an intricately carved wooden flute. Her eyes widened with surprised. “Michi! This is far too fine an instrument to carry across the world!”

He gathered her in a hug and smiled. “Nonsense. What could be more appropriate for a Card Reader who is a musician than a dragon flute? Plus, the Master Carver near Sherman’s Town was a delight to bargain with. And I’ve seen you Dance, Keiko. I would fear for any man who tried to take it from you without your permission. Besides,” he added, eyes twinkling with mischief and delight, “I, too, expect to be serenaded.”

“Well, your logic is inescapable.” She temporarily placed the flute back in its bag before turning to Cesare.

“I would be happy to teach about the Rhoni families and how we are all related, in addition to our customs and ceremonies.” She glanced toward the other hill upon which sat one of the Pony Gates before nodding toward the bride and groom. “It doesn’t seem like the Young Master’s wedding is the most opportune time to have such a serious and involved conversation, however.”

She grinned as she watched Dommi and Emmi dancing.

“Tomomi and I had planned to go to Dawnview Vale. It seems my Forever Friend has found a mission to edge all the sleeves of the world with her lace. There will be ample time for lessons as we travel, although much of what I can share with you is for Rhoni ears alone.”

Then she sighed.

“As for your mother’s family...” She smiled sadly. “Perhaps someday I can tell you about your mother’s Family. But I journey for a similar reason that the Elders decided generations ago to hide your Family.”

“And no one but the Elders knows the reason,” Michi added. “Keiko won’t even tell me, although we all know she was forbidden to speak of it, so I’m content to travel with my Family’s caravan until our paths cross again. If you are staying in the area for a few days, you are welcome to use our forge if you have a need.”

They both chuckled at the sharing of his aunt’s and uncle’s names.

“In the previous Age as well as this one, the name Anya has been favored in most of the Families that do the majority of their traveling across the High Tarn,” Keiko said. “It is not as common as Yuri, of course, but it seems most Families have an Anya in their heritage. The use of Gaija names isn’t particularly unusual — your name, Cesare, is certainly not of the Rhoni heritage. If a name sounds pleasant, that is sometimes just as important to parents as the meaning of the name.”

“And Riku?” Michi grinned. “Why, it is only second to my own name in popularity! But if your uncle taught you to use a forge, perhaps my father and uncles can provide a clue. They seem to know every smith in their generation as well as Grandfather’s. There can’t be more than, oh, two handfuls of smiths named Riku,” he added with a wink.

“Well, I for one am hoping that the greatest mischief is behind us,” Keiko said. “Or, at the very least, it’s less bloody than the trouble we caused at Faast Keep.”

Michi hugged her again. “Tonight is a night for celebrations, for music, for dancing, and for courtship. Let’s ride that wave and worry about what tomorrow will bring when it arrives, hai?”

She nodded as she smiled at him. “Hai.”

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"And Faast Keep is another good reason why a dragon flute is most appropriate."

He winks at Keiko.

"And though I am eager to learn as much as I can.. having found out how little I know.. I agree that Dommi and Emmi's wedding is not the right venue. And we are wasting dancing time!"

He grins at them both, eager to dance as always. It is something that makes him feel so free, so happy. Maybe that is also a Rhoni trait. He must ask Keiko about it later.

"Thank you both for sharing what you have, it means a lot to me. And would it be inappropriate kinswoman, and with Michi's approval of course, to ask you for the first dance?"

His thoughts are still with his family, the secrets hidden there, the knowledge that he craves.. but his feet are starting to tap and it is time to rejoin the festivities.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Midwinter’s Hill
Restday, the Twenty-Fifth day of Crown of Ice

Bekkah, Cesare, Daxia, Keiko, Lyric and All the Hilltop Guests

"You know he's totally devoted to you. I'll let you in on a secret. It's all bravado. Deep inside, he's softer than snowkitten fur."

That was Tree Girl's reply to Daxia when discussing her Unicorn.

Tree Girl was like a bolt of lightning, and the music from the Rhoni musicians and Lyric were her thunder — like lightning in the manner in which she would suddenly be there, steal someone for a dance and return them back into whatever conversation they had been taken from. A flash of brightness and ridiculousness in the deepening night. And just like lightning, she never struck the same place twice.

Which certainly made Morning Star feel a whole lot better.

That was undoubtedly how Cesare felt when he was swept away for his dance. Tree Girl was unquestionably light on her feet as she twirled with him across the hilltop. Somewhen, maybe three spins in, she turned his head. There, Dominic and Emerald had paused for their formal introductions to Harry and Garrick. Dandelion, of course, already knew who Miss Mouse was.

"Now there's a life lesson for you, Cesare Wanderer."

Dominic was comfortably sitting on the ground across from the three. Emerald stood behind him, resting her chin atop his head, slender arms wrapped tight around his shoulders.

"Chasing after girls only makes you look desperate. The truth of it, laddie, is to find the one girl who wants to chase you down."

When she returned Cesare back to his conversation with Keiko and Michi, she was suddenly still. She looked at Michi and Keiko quite seriously and nodded once.

"Later."

Tree Girl then smiled a wry and mischievous smile.

"Let's see if I can make the Koromov blush."

And she actually did. Their dance just happened to coincide with one of the slower, much more romantic ballads. And their dance was much slower and much more romantic. But it was also much more competitive — as if the Horde's Captain and the Tree Girl were engaged in a game of Trundle Alley brinkmanship as to which of the two could be the most risque. It backfired at the end when Dandy teased a kiss that the other girl most certainly did not retreat from.

It was Midwinter's after all.

Of course, it blew up in her face when Tree Girl danced with Broke. At the end of their turn, all fast and feral, full of spins and tosses — of the girl as Broke was almost twice her size — there was a sudden and very surprised eeeeeeek when Broke leaned in and gave her a long wet wolf lick from chin to forehead.

At the exclamation, Broke's ears perked, the wuffess both surprised and confused.

"What? I thought it was a Dayalan thing!"

Somewhere in all this light wedding confusion, Garrick found an opportunity to answer Daxia's question concerning their exchange of coins. He just shrugged and looked at the bride and groom.

"Well, it'd be nice to think the lad will finally settle down and be all responsible like a young Lord should be. But then the world would probably end. I am more afraid that he's now found a partner for his crimes. Uhm. Misadventures."

"Come, stepchild... it's your turn."

That was when Tree Girl chose Lyric.

The dance with the minstrel as a wild one. All full of country steps, she led Lyric all over the hill. A circle around a surprised Dominic and Emerald, as they were dancing too. In and out of the Rhoni lads and lasses, sneaking between Lord Tray and Lady Kara and even twirling close enough to share a wink with Dandelion Koromov.

"You do know that your Mistress and the Flower-child there are friends, right?"

After Lyric, and true to her word, Tree Girl returned for Keiko. And Michi! All held hands as they had a happy circle dance of three.

"I may be more mischievous than the groom, but just like him, I am no heartbreaker."

Of course, her last victims were the bride and groom. It was odd. In the end, it was she, Tree Girl, whose eyes were full of mist.

And for Dominic? During his dance, she gathered all sorts of odd things from the wedding. A cup, a biscuit, a whole lot of spoons, a rock, a couple of twigs and an apple. And in her final twirl, she tossed them into the air. When they fell, she looked at them most gravely — as if they were portents, some manner of fortune telling. Either that or she was partaking in complete nonsense. Whichever, she ended with a whisper in Dominic's ear which drained the blood from his face.

"Three?"

Tree Girl smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"Three is always a good number. The first for Grandmother, the second for Mother and the last, the cutest and shyest one...

"For Me!"

Dominic just looked at Emerald. She blushed and smiled back at him.

He smiled too.

When he looked back, Tree Girl was gone.

It seemed the playful foxes also chose then to take their leave, except it was not two of them that left.

There was one more.

Bekkah held the bride's bouquet, which she indeed had caught. As she watched the three critters dance and weave their way into the night, the bouquet felt nothing like a coincidence.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 29/07/18 17:23 UTC.
Bekkah

The priestess in white, never stopped smiling through the evening. She smiled while dancing, talking or simply watching the love that flowed throughout the party. She even smiled when she caught the bouquet as predicted. She still held it as the party began to wane. It wasn't that she believed in the silly tradition, it was simply that the bouquet was lovely and she enjoyed the scent of the flowers.

While she dreamed of love and a family, she knew that she had also pledged to serve her Lady. And it wasn't a promise she would ever renege on. She did want love and a family, she greatly wanted that and time was running out on that dream. What she had to do was find a way to make both dreams work. For now though, she reflexively held the bouquet a bit tighter as she watched Dommi and Emerald disappear from the party.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
and

Keiko shivered slightly at the memories of the keep, brushing at the front of her tunics where the blood stain was still evident — at least to her eyes. It hadn’t seemed appropriate at the time, and still didn’t if she were honest, but that hadn’t stopped her from offering a prayer to the Ancestors for the healing of the Dragon.

Not exactly appropriate — and yet, it had felt right.

Keiko laughed then at Cesare’s desire to dance, and Michi joined in for his own reasons. They certainly weren’t laughing at him; it felt more as though they found his comment amusing because it triggered something they shared between themselves.

“It is Festival time, Friend Cesare! It is never inappropriate to request a dance.” She glanced at Dominic and Emerald. “It would only be slightly rude to interrupt the bride and groom as they have their first dance together as a married couple.”

“And you certainly don’t need my approval, Cesare,” Michi added. “I don’t think our elders would have decided we were a good match if they believed I harbored jealousy regarding the actions of a Card Reader.”

“I’m sure I have no idea what you’re talking about, Michi,” Keiko said, smiling at him as her violet eyes twinkled with merriment.

“Of course, you don’t, Keiko,” he replied, attempting and failing to remain serious. “Grandfather has given me considerable advice on the proper comportment of a Card Reader’s husband.”

As the music ended and the dark-haired lass swooped in to claim her first dance with Lady Bekkah, Keiko laughed and took Cesare’s hand.

“Come, kinsman, let us ride the currents of music that Akira and Jiro are so generously sharing.” She laughed more freely than she had since meeting him and his group of friends in Waverider’s Watch. “Be light, be free! Let your feet match the beat of Haruna’s drum!”

Daxia smiled at her dark-haired dance partner. “I know... the devotion bit. That’s how our partnership has to work. It’s a mutual devotion, of course. And that makes things very strange inside my head, you know.” She grinned. “They’ve pledged their service to Dayala, and yet it seems the partnerships between Unicorns and Riders were designed to amuse her Granddaughter.”

The Dayalan’s sapphire blue eyes sparkled with mischief.

“Snowkitten fur, you say? And here I wouldn’t have gone any softer than a ruff’s belly!”

Between dances with Kisa and Bekkah, Daxia watched the dark-haired lass with her Temple Sisters. She wasn’t surprised to see Kisa blushing at Dandy’s performance. The acrobatics of Broke’s dance...

Hoi, I wish Romana were here. She would enjoy this so much.

...ended with a belly laugh from the Priestess.

“If it wasn’t before, perhaps you and Dandelion could make it so. And if you could get me a message about Kassia’s reaction to the new tradition that doesn’t involve bricks or pottery being thrown at my head, that would be wonderful, Sister!”

Then Daxia turned back to Garrick. “He’s responsible in his own special way, and I doubt that’s going to change.” She smiled. “I don’t think we’d want him to stop helping folks and picking up strays, would we?” She gazed at the newlyweds for a few heartbeats. “He has a unique way of trying to right the wrongs of the world,” she added softly, “but I think his instinct is as strong as mine. It’s that sort of... misadventure, as you say, that Emerald will encourage.”

The priestess blinked — the evening had gotten a bit dusty here on this hill. “I liked them both from the first time I met each of them. He was more outrageous, she was far more shy. And now? Now, they’re perfect together, Garrick.”

She looked back at Garrick and shrugged, giving him a crooked grin. “Good thing the Khorall was blessed with a third son rather than a second daughter, for there would be two Goddesses fighting over that soul.”

At that, she winked at the leader of Bordertown’s militia and headed for the group of Rhoni quietly talking.

“I’m not the least bit sorry to interrupt, for it has been far too long since we’ve had a chance to dance, Cesare! Come!” She held out a hand and smiled with happiness.

Later, when the girl from the tree decided to share a dance with both her and Michi, Keiko grinned. “Mistress, if you believe it possible to break a Rhoni’s heart at Festival time, I would leave you with this thought: Perhaps, like the rest of us, you are blessed to still have things to learn.”

Michi chuckled as he twirled both young women in opposite directions only to gather them back into their little circle. “Pay her no mind, fair damsel,” he said. “Keiko is an enigma wrapped in a riddle and cloak in a conundrum. She’s also silly.”

At this, his betrothed could only laugh. “That’s a fair cop.”

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He feels comfortable with both Keiko and Michi. Is that because they are as close a kin as he might claim? Is it the feeling of coming home? Or is it just this happy time they are all enjoying as Dommi and Emmi finally join forces for all time? It doesn't matter but the time for dancing is here.

He has had no formal training although his small family used to dance together, so maybe some of the Rhoni steps are in there somewhere. His dancing is largely just enthusiasm and energy but he can follow a beat and a pattern and will often conform to the style and steps of his partner, once he has seen enough of them. He is not self-conscious, just happy. But this style of his leaves little opportunity to say much. Too much twirling and not enough breath.. but he does manage a few words for each of his partners.

For Keiko: "I like Michi. He is generous and true. How long before the two of you will wed?"

For Tree Girl: "Wise words but where would I find one such as that?" He grins. "I know.. look behind me!"

For Daxia, with a genuine smile of reunion: "It is good to be with you again. I used to think that it was you that lead us into all sorts of trouble.. but it seems we have found our own in your absence. I think you have awoken something of a.. crusading spirit within me." He laughs, not unhappy with the situation.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
and

“He is all of that and more,” Keiko agreed. “My mother still worries because I can’t claim the True Love she has found with my father, but I am confident our affection will grow into it.”

She paused that conversation to head off on a tangent. “Which is it that you Dance, Daggers or Storm? The footwork here is much like the Dance of Storms.” Keiko proceeded to demonstrate the turning step. Then she went back to the previous conversation.

“We would have been married next year, probably at Midsummer. But now?” She couldn’t really shrug while spinning, but he could see her smile. “It is up to the Fates, the Waves, and the will of the Ancestors to determine when my Journey will end.”

The dance Daxia began had less spinning and twirling. It was a common country dance with a simple pattern, often danced with numerous couples and a great deal of partner changes. Tonight, it was just Daxia and Cesare, although she added her own flair to the pattern.

“Maybe it was you the whole time, my friend! I, too, thought trouble was dogging my every step, but the worst thing about our journey from Talesan’s Village to Bordertown was leaving Romana and Kay in Talantal. Oh, and that stupid song Dandelion’s friend penned. She won’t be able to protect him if I find him,” she said with a laugh.

“Come to Dawnview with Kisa and me, and bring your friends. I think I’ve convinced Bekkah to come home for a visit. But you must promise to leave your mischief-making on this side of Snowgate Pass,” she added, winking. “I’d hate to have to defend you against my Temple Sisters should they decide you’ve caused a ruckus of some sort.”

She looked him in the eye, no longer disconcerted that she was nearly as tall as he was. “I can’t promise a crusade, but I can promise you a land of beauty that I haven’t seen on this side of the Pass.” She chortled. “But I do have a few ideas for crusades — well, things to accomplish, at any rate — after I return Kisa to her Castle, see her installed as Khorall, and visit family in the Jambles.

“It will be fun!”

Lyric, a dancing Minstrel

It was clear that Lyric would not lead when it came turn for the dancing with the Tree Girl.

Lyric already had some thoughts flitting about her mind concerning this girl whom she had watched dancing with anyone and everyone, including the Unicorn. But Lyric was occupied as such was the life of a Minstrel. And so the thoughts became nothing more than that, and she played music. She learned music, and she shared music with any and all who joined in with an instrument or just tapping feet and clapping hands.

That is, until the Tree Girl singled her out for a turn of steps. But Lyric didn't know these dance steps. She had studied all her life to be a musician, a performer, and an artist. She felt joy when others sang and danced and were entertained by her. But now she had to set aside her mandola and accept the invitation because anything else would be rude. But it was obvious that she didn't know the steps at first. She was a quick learner, smart, and light of step. She learned as she danced. But taking the lead was 'Not in the Cards' as friend Keiko might say if she were to watch.

There was but a single moment of tension in the dance. One moment where Lyric had wished she were the lead. But she wasn't and thus dancing all too close to Dandelion Koromov made her very uncomfortable and perhaps even a little shy (if that was the right word to use). Lyric lowered her head and looked away, allowing her hair to fall across her face. She wished she wore her heavy Tarnan Cloak, but then, if she had, she wouldn't have been able to move about when playing among the Rhoni. But Koromov didn't recognize her...

And the thoughts that were errant before had suddenly become much more coherent at the statement worded as a question, yes, rhetorical.

...friends?

Lyric smiled, knowing the answer to her own question, "I suppose I have always believed it unwise to test the limits of someone else's friendship."

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"I am sure it will. There seems a desire from both sides. And yes, the Fates will decide."

He smiles at Keiko.

"Daggers is what I was taught. I do not know Storm."

But he nevertheless follows her lead, interested in this new way.

When he dances with Daxia, he adopts her pattern as best he can, still enthusiastic.

"Don't think so.. I still believe it was mostly you. I miss Romana too but I have missed you the most. And yes, I think we are planning to see Dawnview. Even more reason if you are heading there too."

He tilts his head on one side.

"So does that mean you will return to us to enlist our aid in accomplishing those things? I would welcome that."

It is good to have Daxia around again and as they dance he catches glimpses of his other friends, Bekkah catching the bouquet, Lyric dancing with Tree Girl and many others. This is a good day.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
and

“I learned both Daggers and Storm,” Keiko said. “Most girls learn Storm, most boys learn Daggers.” She grinned. “Some of us learn what isn’t usual, and some of us learn both. My brother is very protective of his sisters and made sure we could protect ourselves.”

Then she giggled. “Hikaru believed it was his idea, of course. I suspect my uncles and eldest cousins planted the idea, though.”

As the song ended, she led them both back to Michi, who was opening one of the leather cases and pulling out a peculiar two-stringed bowed instrument.

“Oooh! You brought your nigen too! Oh, yes, you must serenade me now!”

Michi laughed. “Borrow Rin’s flute so she and Akira can dance. You and I can join Jiro and Haruna.”

“Well, maybe you’re right,” Daxia said. “But if the trouble was following me, then we really need to blame Kisa because I was just following the Patterns she showed me. And some she didn’t.” She paused a moment. “Fine! Everything after rescuing Romana, including rescuing Romana, is all my fault! Except that business at Highside Heather — that was Dean’s fault for not remembering to tell us not to stay there.”

She laughed gaily.

“If you wish to help rebuild and reconsecrate a Dayalan Temple, you’re more than welcome to help with the heavy lifting, although I was hoping to enlist some of my new Temple Sister’s family in that endeavor,” she said with a smile. “I’m afraid you can’t be a lay member of the cult for you’ve already pledged yourself to Khannish, haven’t you? So that would leave you out of the ceremonies.” Then her eyes twinkled with mischief. “But it would be the Temple for the Wild Dayalans, and we do tend to flout the rules when it suits us. And won’t incur our Lady’s wrath.

“As for my other thought... well, it would have been nice to have Mikal’s help with the Chaos Riders. Dominic wouldn’t tell me anything about what happened to him, and I haven’t had the chance to ask Broke about it. Something happened after all of you left Waverider’s Watch, though.”

She grinned. “I’m sure the Thing would be happy to pummel us with their various weapons and stools when I mention the idea to them.”

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

And he just manages his farewells and thanks before being whisked away by Tree Girl.

He is still laughing as she mentions rescuing Romana and Highside Heather.

"We did have some very interesting times, did we not?"

And then he is ready to volunteer to help with the temple building but feels he should set the record straight but just before he can do that she asks about Mikal.

"I did not pledge to Khannish. Darian had suggested that I do so and we were trying to work out how it would all come together but in the end it was just to far away from how I live my life. Just couldn't do it. I think that is where things started to unravel for Darian and I."

He shrugs, the winds of fate swirl in unexpected ways at times.

"Mikal was starting to form his horde. Kadri, Bekkah and I went with him and a number of horses to help him get started. There was a parcel of land at Waverider's Watch deemed suitable to establish a camp. We met the others, Keiko, Tomomi & Lyric there. Then your sister did a miraculous thing. She prayed to her Goddess for the Forest Folk. Her prayers were answered. But many of them were trapped in a mine run by dwarves. By this time Dommi had arrived and we all vowed to help try and rescue those in the mines. Unforunately this was, I think, too much of a divergence for Mikal and he left that night to follow his own path. Another thing you should know. The rescue was successful but we lost Kadri in the attempt. I miss her.. and I miss Mikal."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Tree-Girl
... during Lyric's dance

"Oh, I think that just the knowledge that they are friends is much more interesting than the limits of that friendship. At the least, it keeps me amused."

Tree-Girl smiled as she continued her weaving path, orbiting some before moving on to the others.

"Whoever knew little villages could be so full of intrigue? It's better than listening to wives talk at the village well!"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

“Too interesting at times, if you ask me!”

The music had stopped, but Daxia remained with Cesare to continue their conversation. She cocked her head to the side at his comments about Darian.

“Perhaps that was the catalyst. Darian never spoke much, but I had gotten the impression that you had pledged yourself to her Lord. My apologies.” She smiled. “Perhaps I’ll have the opportunity to apologize to her someday for the misunderstanding.”

Daxia’s brows furrowed. “It was an odd farewell in Talesan’s Village. Kisa and I had ensconced ourselves in the Cathedral’s library, she had gone to speak with the local Pack, the rest of you found yourselves in an adventure to save young Dydd. When we finally tore ourselves away from Brother Lew’s books — not an easy task, I assure you — Darian was there to say goodbye, and the rest of you had gone off to Mikaelsson’s Farm. I never did get the full tale of what happened beneath the docks. Ari wouldn’t speak of it. Sir Kevin had taken his squires off to deal with...”

She shrugged. “Well, possibly more roof repairs! He certainly had a knack for it. We met Broke in the baths at the Inn. That was interesting. She mentioned a misunderstanding she’d had with Mikal. I was somewhat distressed to hear that they’d had a poor beginning, but thought they might work through their differences.” She chuckled. “After all, Mikal and I didn’t always see eye to eye. I still count him as a friend and never doubted his skill or courage as a fighter. Perhaps he might have a few things to learn yet about leading a group, but that’s nothing to fault him for. After all, it’s not something that’s generally taught to anyone.”

Dazi looked at Cesare from the corner of her eye. “My sister refuses to believe me, but I had no idea was I was doing in the beginning. I barely had a clue by the time we reached Highside Heather. I’m still not sure I know how to be a leader. Kisa was trained for it. If Kassia was teaching me the same lessons, well, that’s where I’m truly a cobble block.”

She nodded at the end of his tale about Waverider’s Watch.

“Even as far away as we were at the time, we felt the power of Bekkah’s prayer to her Lady.” Dazi smiled at the memory. “I swear Kay was almost more surprised at the smile she was wearing than the morning she found herself pulled out of time.

“Bekkah mentioned very little of the rescue, but your minstrel friend told a powerful tale last night.” Then she snickered. “Of course, you might have already consumed half a barrel of beer by that time! Oh, my friend, there is joy in the indulgence of our vices, but the overindulgence can bring just the opposite.” Then she winked. “You didn’t look good at all this morning. I’m glad to see that the day managed to set you back on your feet.”

Then she sobered again. “I miss them both as well.” She glanced over at the groom. “I think Dominic knows more than he’s said about both their fates and, in this case, I am willing to remain ignorant. I share that in common with Bekkah — I’d prefer to remember my friends who no longer travel with me in the best possible light.”

Lyric, dancing with words

It felt like a test now. Did the Girl from the tree want her to play a game. of course she did. Lyric had a suspicion earlier about the Girl and now felt very confident that her suspicion could be called a conclusion. So as they danced, the mercurial dancer spoke to amuse herself, but it was more than that. She baited Lyric. Was she seeking the repartee to see if Lyric could figure out the game? or was she dropping hints to something else?

To that thought, Tree Girl took up this dance with the Minstrel by implying they had a preexisting relationship. Oddly though, or maybe not give it was Lyric in question, the relationship concept was not an easy one for Lyric to grasp. The words themselves she understood but pairing them together created a title that had a meaning with which Lyric was unfamiliar.

While responding to the Girl's statements and questions, Lyric tried to unravel the underlying threads of meaning. Child was simple enough. Tree Girl saw Lyric as a youth. That told her quite a bit about Tree Girl. And having seen her interactions thus far, and what Lyric now believed she knew to be a truth, it was fair enough for Girl to entertain such a notion. But the Step part? She knew what a step was... a platform raised to get one from plane or level to another, either higher or lower... or a segment of a journey measured by walking. So, a Child, but not quite... No, that's not right. A child, but not your child, a segment of the journey removed from being your child. Is your interest in me based upon what my presence offers you, thus the claim of adjacent parentage? Or was it the intrigue and mystery and magic that appealed to you? You know who I am, and I am confident I know who you are. We are both playing a game of intrigue with the world around us. And my game amuses you. You know of my village, and to word it as you did means you listen to Dominic. You want me to know who you are. You might want everyone to know, but there are rules to your game, thus making it more like- You want everyone to figure you out and to do that they have to play your game. You think you own me... Not the right word. I am under your care, your protection because I amuse you. More than that, more than amuse you, I am in need of your care, and that is what you do. It is your nature, the mantle you wear and burden you bear.

Lyric was thinking she could easily confuse herself in all these circular thoughts at this point. The Minstrel had little or no experience with marriage or children so the Metaphor was mostly reasoning and guessing. And the dancing, twirling and fast paced steps kept her off-balance both physically and mentally. The proximity to Koromov was surely intentional to allow Girl to put Lyric on the defensive and make her more receptive to her testing and baiting words.

You wanted me to know I was safe with you when you pushed me close to Koromov.

Lyric smiled in understanding now.

"What else would we do to entertain ourselves, in a village such as mine, were it not for the intrigues? Right? Do something long enough and it becomes a habit. Do something forever and it becomes the way it always was."

Those first words were spoken quietly and more seriously in tone and import. But then she smiled, and shrugged as a bit of her mercurial nature showed forth. "So, without it I think our whole lives would be spent reciting the poetry written by our Shaggies."

And then it was gone, "I bear the scars of wanting to live a life that is more than just intrigues, but I suppose intrigue is what I must use to do the things that must be done in order to find a life I want and one my people need." Lyric looked sidelong to several of her friends, Keiko and Cesare. And Bekkah and Tomomi. A kind of Pack as it were. Dominic and Emerald, her Packmate Broke, who was also part of a new pack of her own, with Koromov and Daxia, and her lover. An entanglement of relationships. "I keep my secrets for their safety as much as my own. They are my first friends in all my life. I have felt loss now too, and I never want to feel that again, though I know I will. I understand it is what makes love more meaningful. So I lie to them because I care for them more than I ever imagined I was capable and because I know the danger that I put them in just for being among them. But I would give my life for them, each and every one, because my heart is not a part of my intrigue."

"Even Dominic... He amuses me," she added with a slight smile and an arched eyebrow. She used Girl's own words for the meaning of the value of a relationship.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Interesting is always better than boring."

Easy to say maybe but not so easy to live by.

"And I miss Darian. We had some great times together, even being taught by a ruff.." he chuckles at the memories "..but perhaps in the end our destinies lead us to different paths. This is often the way."

He has an easy acceptance of life and what it serves up, the Rhoni heritage perhaps?

"As to saving Dydd.." he smiles again at the memory of the young girl whom he liked "..we found a door low down in the cliff where her trail led. Inside were some tunnels partly underwater as the tides would fill the tunnels from time to time. In the water were creatures that we later found to be sharks. Be battled our way in and found a temple to a shark god where Dydd was being held, seemingly intended as a sacrifice. We rescued her. A good result I think but maybe that would upset the balance of the factions there, the divide between those of the land and those of the sea. It seemed prudent to move on quickly."

He grins, easy in his own conscience.

"And Mikal was a good leader. Could have become great I think but he had his own demons to resolve. But I still count him as a good friend. And speaking of leaders, I think they are best judged by how they inspire others to follow them. And I would follow you anywhere."

This is said with a quiet determination, no sign of his usual lightness of spirit.

"Setting free those two souls from years of torture.. that changed things for me. Changed how I look at the world. You did that."

Then he grins again.

"But that still doesn't mean that i cannot indulge from time to time. Everything must have a balance, even if it swings from life changer to drunkard."

He laughs now.

"Not that I intend to ever try to mix the two."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Dazi snickered. “When ‘interesting’ involves people and demons and hideous beasties and avatars all trying to kill me, I tend to favor boredom. On the other hand, if ‘interesting’ just means meeting fascinating people and seeing parts of the world that I never imagined seeing? Well, I can live with that kind of interesting.”

She shook her head as she smiled sadly. “I’m never going to get used to lopping off heads and skewering people. That’s probably the way it’s supposed to be. Kadri and I...” The Dayalan paused as she watched Tree Girl dancing with everyone, as she’d declared. “I think she had the right of it when she said that you stop being human when the killing no longer bothers you.”

She frowned at his description of the underwater tunnels and rooms. “That was once one of our great Temples, you know. The whole underground network beneath Talesan’s Village is the ancient outpost the Dayalans know as the Port of Lys. The Eastern horde ran all the way to the sea at the end of the First Age. We have stories that tell of our Sisters bravery then. I understand — mostly, anyway — why the Easterners hate Dayalans so much, but...”

Daxia looked at him, suddenly taking a different tack. “Do you ever feel like there is too much fighting for all the wrong reasons? This god and that god have a disagreement, so all their followers pay the price. Although my life has been blessed in uncountable ways through my service to Dayala, I almost envy the Rhoni’s freedom to choose your path each day.

“Human frailties and desire for power — I understand these things. I don’t have to like it, but there you go. And I understand that the Deities have their own motivations, their own desires. Maybe I simply find being a pawn in their feuds to be a heavy burden.”

She shook herself and lightly slapped his shoulder. “Well, there you go, Cesare. I have my own demons that are nothing like Mikal’s. Are you sure following along after me and my demons is still a reasonable endeavor?”

Dazi looked up at the Dark Patch where Tashka’s and Linette’s souls had returned after the wedding ceremony.

“Maybe I had a hand in it, my friend. But ultimately, my heart was listening for the will of my Lady. She created Time for a reason — perhaps She thought it would be interesting, perhaps She was bored, perhaps it was a grand experiment on Her part. It doesn’t matter why She did it, only that She did. And He Who Should Not Be Named subverted that. Perhaps it was hubris on my part, but I took offense on Her behalf. Yes, it may have lightened the hearts of three Goddesses that night, but it got Celi killed. I can’t forget that. She was still a child, still learning what it meant to be out in the world and having the need to hide her most closely held beliefs.”

Then she sighed heavily. “I suppose that, too, is a burden that a leader must bear. Perhaps that is the lesson that will push Mikal beyond merely being a good leader to being a great one.”

Finally, she rolled her eyes at him. “I suspect that ‘balance’ might be more on the order of keeping one’s seat on a horse rather than swinging wildly from one extreme to another like a child gathering momentum on her rope to fling herself farther into the waters of Sapphire Lake. But your kinsfolk would know better than I, I’ll venture,” she added with a chuckle.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Tree-Girl
... during Lyric's dance

"And you just sussed the Big Scary Secret. Do something forever and it becomes the way it always was. And when everything is the way it always was? No matter how pretty your pool of sparkling water is, it is stagnant. How luxurious that goblet of wine? Vinegar.

"Staid. Dying. Dead.

"Boring."

Tree-Girl giggled.

"I used to visit your little village, every now and then. Nowadays, I just can't find the energy or will. I'd peek in, dance about, but you know, it was always same old, same old, same old, same old.

"Dommi-My-Darling, now him, he's never the same, he's always up to something and even when he fails I can't stop laughing.

She spun close to Lyric, for a moment nose to nose.

"Now.

"There's you.

"So serious, about your words, your duty and your bonds to your friends. Do you want a clue, sweetness?"

Her smile was very mischievous and even more vixeny than Lady.

"You could be dancing with an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a big furry coat of shaggie fur. Or you could be dancing with a girl who likes trees, dancing, smiling and having a good time because someone she cares about is having a really good day.

"I'd recommend trusting your friends and just enjoying their company.

"Because the alternative?"

The Girl shivered from tousled bangs to her toes.

"Shaggie fur really really really really itches!"

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He shakes his head slowly.

"No. I cannot believe you would ever =choose= boredom. It is not in your nature."

The twinkle in his eyes suggests he might be teasing, just a little.

"And I agree that taking a life should always matter. For me I prefer to only do that if in defence of others, friends in particular but the Fates do thrust some nasty choices on us from time to time. Life is not always a free choice, even for the Rhoni."

And that brings his thoughts momentarily to his father. He pauses for a moment, gathers his thoughts and then there is a question in his eyes.

"The shark tunnels were once a Dayalan temple? Your temples seem to be almost everywhere one turns."

Again the teasing smile, certainly he does not want to offend, just enjoy conversing with an old friend.

"So I guess I might as well consider following you and your demons as it seems I might have a problem escaping you and yours anyway."

He follows her gaze and adds softly.

"But then it is often justice that needs serving. And I know we lost Ceri.. as recently we lost Kadri. There is an old saying is there not that you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs? It could have been any of us. We all accepted that risk."

He nods, it is a truth he believes.

"And I have learned to balance on a horse now. I have one of my own. Perhaps I might lean to 'balance more aspects of my life.. but I doubt it! I think the most important thing is to live life in a way that is true to yourself.. and your beliefs. Maybe we both do that but in different ways?"

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Phoenix Prime
Phoenix Prime
Sanger Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,825
Posts140,430
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy