DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: nem Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Mon 10/08/20 19:38 UTC
We last did a genre survey in March as we headed towards coronavirus lockdown. Now that we're post-event, in the aftermath and dealing with the fallout, I thought we should test our tastebuds once more. Before we all get Covid-19 in the second wave and lose our sense of taste! lol

So, here's what was ticking your boxes (or what boxes you were ticking) in Spring.

Spring 2020 Genre Survey

Classic fantasy finally supplanted in the top spot by urban fantasy/horror. Since then we've had a Harry Potter game start, which I'd say is urban fantasy.

Remember, you have two votes so don't click 'Submit Vote' until you've ticked two boxes.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Mon 10/08/20 19:42 UTC
So 2 of us have voted and none of the categories have 2 votes <chuckle>
Posted By: nem Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Mon 10/08/20 19:44 UTC
I wonder if we'll get a buttery spread across all genres this time, with at least one vote for each?
Posted By: MikeD Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Mon 10/08/20 20:08 UTC
If the buttery spread has a bit of Parmesan on top ... I'm good <weg>
Posted By: Mina Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Tue 11/08/20 15:23 UTC
I wonder what the point spread would look like if someone could allocate all two points in a category if they really wanted that kind of game smile And no, I am happy with my two categories, though it looks like no one else picked the same ones smile
Posted By: nem Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Tue 11/08/20 17:20 UTC
A sort of 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice voting system. That'd be nice, aye. Alas Ubb.threads only has the one voting system. You can change the number of votes allowed per user, but not a weighting.

What did you vote for Mina? I voted for Modern Action Thriller and 20th Century Pulp. I guess I'm in the mood for some real world high jinks though I didn't have a particular game in mind. Maybe like Erick Wujcik's Ninjas & Superspies. I have a lot of fond memories of that game.

How about you MikeD?
Posted By: MikeD Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Tue 11/08/20 17:26 UTC
Mina, it is not =quite= the same, but I =think= you can cast just 1 vote. It doesn't give the same impact, but the 'missing' vote does not 'dilute' your 1st choice <g>
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Wed 12/08/20 15:03 UTC
Heh. Unknowingly it appears that I voted for the last two without a vote. Guess I'm weird. grin
Posted By: Mina Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Wed 12/08/20 15:06 UTC
Oh I am happy with my two choices. I voted for.... Soap and Detective Mystery. I was just curious if anyone would have voted twice for the same category if they could smile
Posted By: nem Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Wed 12/08/20 20:26 UTC
I've been reading a few spy/espionage games recently with the mind of starting one with our face-to-face group. But most have a paranormal element.

I checked out the latest version of Top Secret, which was OK. Kind of Savage Worlds-lite system-wise and the feel throughout is more Sixties spy jinks than contemporary, so it didn't tick my boxes.

I also checked out this Kickstarter game called Operators, more of a Clancy-esque affair using Fate dice with a custom mechanic and some custom card decks. Very novel. It has potential but is quite raw and comes across as it a bit amateurish and not thoroughly playtested. My search continues. wink
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Wed 12/08/20 23:32 UTC
I played Top Secret in the olden days, along with 007, and GURPS, Mercenaries and Private Eyes. There was a game called Espionage too if I recall. Needless to say I liked those sorts of games way back when. I haven't played a recent version since a d20 modern stint still many years ago. Which means I have nothing to offer as a good game system today to look at. But I will poke around and see what I learn.
Posted By: nem Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Thu 13/08/20 08:22 UTC
Thanks Pande. Here are links to those two games I mentioned above, if anyone's interested.

http://store.tsrgames.com/top-secret-new-world-order-box-set/

https://samjokopublishing.com/products/operators-rpg
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Vote Now! - Thu 13/08/20 15:40 UTC
Thanks, I will take a peek.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Thu 13/08/20 16:58 UTC
Here is the Espionage version of Apocalypse World RPG
Espionage - Apocalypse World
Posted By: nem Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Fri 14/08/20 13:24 UTC
We had pretty good results with Dungeon World in NDT, so I'll check that out, Pande. Thanks.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: Summer 2020 Genre Survey - Fri 14/08/20 14:12 UTC
Originally Posted by Pandemonium
I played Top Secret in the olden days

I remember that game! My first RPG back in high school!
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post