DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: AquaDyne 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 28/04/23 05:40 UTC
DM

The night passes uneventfully. Those in the magical Tiny Hut get plenty of rest. Those taking their turns standing watch find nothing to report. Those of unusual size snore.

Until morning twilight, not quite yet dawn. Bern is taking his turn on watch, and notes movement on the road where they came from, headed their way. It's a small party, if you can even call it that. One humanoid riding what seems to be a mule, accompanied by some small winged creature.

There's plenty of time for Bern to wake up one or all of the others, or just wait until the fellow traveler gets closer...
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 28/04/23 11:55 UTC
<Bern>

He considers waking the others as he watches the 'flock' continues on the road. But he looks more like a farmer or rancher of some sort headed to town to sell off some of his flock than a threat.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 29/04/23 04:10 UTC
DM

As the party comes closer, it becomes evident to Bern that it's not a farmer. The humanoid is smaller than the average human, and it's a reasonable guess at this point that it's a halfling.

The mule is still obviously a mule.

The winged creature is still a bit hard to make out. Its body is much smaller than its wingspan, perhaps the size of Whisper if Whisper's wings were a bit larger.

The party continues along the road. If they are armed and dangerous, it's not obvious yet.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 29/04/23 12:18 UTC
<Bern>

With no obvious threat, his attention focuses on the 'bird'. He tries to think back and tries to figure out what it might be.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 29/04/23 17:07 UTC
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]DM

The trio is close enough now to clearly make them out.

The halfling appears to be a female, dressed lightly in armor. A bow and quiver full of arrows is on her back.

The flying creature looks just like a cat. But with wings. It occasionally perches on the halfling's shoulder, but also often flies around, appearing to act in a scouting capacity much like how Jaliera uses Whisper.

The approaching group, of course, can now see Bern, a sleeping ogre, and the party's horses and other supplies. They slow their approach as they appear to be evaluating the apparent mismatch between party size and equipment. The flying cat creature begins what appears to be a broad circle as if inspecting the camp from above.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 29/04/23 22:08 UTC
<Bern>

He is in no hurry to 'invite' the newcomers to 'visit'. But since they didn't seem particularly threatening, he didn't adopt a 'threatening' posture either. But his bow and his sword are ready if he misjudged.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 29/04/23 22:13 UTC
DM

The magical creature completes its tour of the campsite, circling both the tiny hut and giant sword before returning to the halfling, who continues her approach (on mule-back), a hand raised in greeting.

"Good morn," she greets Bern when within speaking range, then gestures at the sword first, and then Glork. "I'm sure there's a story behind this sword and that ogre," is asked with a friendly smile.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 30/04/23 12:17 UTC
<Bern>

He watched the 'bird' 'check out' the area. He smiles and returns her wave and her greeting with, "Well met."

He then shrugs. "No idea on the sword. We just happened on it while traveling. Glork is a traveling companion we met along the way." Then he changed the topic. "That is an interesting ... is it a bird? I have never seen the like. What can you tell me about it?", he asked.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 30/04/23 15:35 UTC
DM

"Flycatcher?" the halfling asks, gesturing to the creature on her shoulder. "She's a tressym. Quite useful and helpful as a companion. They are quite numerous in Cormyr, and the opposite can be said for rodents," she chuckles.

Patting the head of her mule, she also adds. "And this is Tod. Also quite useful and helpful, for entirely different reasons. And I go by the name Vordana Jezral," she concludes.

"Heading east or west?" she inquires.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 30/04/23 16:18 UTC
Glork

Stirs awake. Looks over seeing the flying thing, "Brekfass?" Then stupidly cocks his head staring at it.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 30/04/23 18:46 UTC
<Bern>

His brow wrinkles at the mention of 'tressym'. It was not a 'term' he recognized.

He turned to Glock at his 'suggestion'. "No!", he began. "We do =not= eat the companions of 'travelers' we meet on the road"

As to the travelers questions, he said "my name is Bern and", he pointed, "Towards town ahead", he said. "Where are you headed", he asked.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 01/05/23 01:13 UTC
Vordana Jezral

The halfling laughs at Glork's breakfast comment, nodding as Bern corrects his manners. "I hope you've been keeping him fed," she chuckles.

She turns her head to Flycatcher, murmuring an order to the flying feline, and the companion sets off toward a lightly forested area not far away.

Bern's indication of direction brings a nod. "Same general direction," she replies. "Although I've been on the road less often than off it. Most travelers are going the other way," she gestures behind her.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 01/05/23 09:23 UTC
Glork

Watches the cat thing fly away. He was stuck wondering how much meat really was on those wings. Now the mule... the mule might be tasty. At the thought of roasted mule his stomach grumbles and he starts to drool a little. Barely glancing back at the halfling and Bern, Glork gets up and starts to go o the trees.

"Me find food,"
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 01/05/23 12:15 UTC
<Bern>

He turned to Glork. "No people", he said. "Just animals."

He turned back to the 'traveler'. "You are welcome to travel with us if you like."
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 01/05/23 15:21 UTC
Flycatcher

As Glork makes his way toward the forest, the tressym returns, carrying a small creature in its claws.

She keeps well clear of the ogre, not wanting to become prey herself, but flies close enough to let go of the furry payload at just the right time to arc toward Glork's chest. If he's paying attention, he might even be able to catch the freshly caught rabbit before his delivery-creature wheels in a graceful arc back toward the forest.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 01/05/23 18:39 UTC
Glork

Feels the impact of the SFC (small fluffy creature) on his chest and barely gets his hand up to find the SFC. He watches the cat thing fly back and decides to wait to see if he'd have time to bring the prize back to camp and hoping that it finds another SFC.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 02/05/23 03:21 UTC
Vordana Jezral

"I'd be happy to join you for a time," Vordana replies. "Although I suppose you may want to confirm your invite with your companions?"

She gestures vaguely in the directly of the tiny hut, clearly aware of its existence if not the contents thereof. Still, there are for too many horses and other supplies for just the two visible travelers.

Well, perhaps the food would sustain Glork for a while, although it appears he may have found himself a food delivery service.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 02/05/23 12:23 UTC
<Bern>

He smiled. "If you can wait a bit, the others will be up soon and we can ... put it to a vote", he said.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 02/05/23 13:38 UTC
Zhu

Having been in Reverie as usual all night, she had been aware of the newcommer and heard the conversation. Rising gracefully to her feet, she steps outside the Hut and offers a polite tip of her head. "Well met Mistress Jerzal. I am Zhuirentel Elendaril, though my companions call me simply Zhu."
Sindar

He rolled over, hoping to not hear any more of whatever disturbance was trying to get him to rise. Yet he knew that was a bad plan, and started to wake up.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 02/05/23 23:16 UTC
Vordana Jezral

"Well now that you've made the offer, I suppose being voted away would be rather awkward," the halfling chuckles. "But Flycatcher is still trying to earn Glork's vote."

At her mention, the tressym returns from a second trip to the forest, another small fluffy creature in her claws. This time she aims to hit Glork on the head with the pre-breakfast. For target practice, of course.

"She does understand common, by the way, but don't expect her to answer in aught but a mewl. She loves to hunt, as you can probably see."

As Zhu introduces herself, she nods with a smile.

"If I'm to travel with you, and it appears you are not yet ready to get moving, is there anything I can do to assist your preparations?"
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 05/05/23 00:13 UTC
Glork

Seeing the catbird come back with another SFC Glork get excited. So excited that he doesn't realized that the SFC was dropping not to his chest but to his head. Feeling the impact on his nose he growls a little as he bends down to pick up the morsel.

"Meany burdy."
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 05/05/23 06:41 UTC
Davroar

Normally nature has its way of waking him up, but having the artificial comfort of the magical hut allows him to sleep deeply in relative comfort. On Zhu's departure Davroar squints one eye open to see the glimmer of night slowly fading away. Letting out a low bear-like grumble under his breath, he sits up, stretches his arms, and then slowly stands up to find Zhu and Bern talking with the newcomer. Seeing it is a halfling, he will ignore the trio and amble in the opposite direction to find a spot to relieve himself before coming back.

"Morning", he says to Glork who looks to be already enjoying breakfast, and then stops beside Bern and Zhu. "Hmm, hello... Who's this?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 05/05/23 17:39 UTC
Zindra
It seemed like a good time to step out of the hut. Meeting a traveler on the road can either be a good or bad thing but there seemed to be an attempt at good will from the halfling.

"Hail and well met," Zindra said, "You may call me Zindra." She looks up at the flying creature that Vordana called a tressym and tried to think back and see what she knows about them.

OOC: Zindra Nature role
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 20.
Sindar

He followed Zindra from the magical hut and looked at the assembly. He listened for a moment as was his normal want, and offered "Sindar," when it came to introductions.

He was curious about the flying bird, and even more so when he realized it wasn't really a bird at all.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 06/05/23 04:13 UTC
DM

Zindra would recall quite a bit about these magical beasts, created long ago by a wizard's experimentation.

She would know tressym were found generally in warmer and temperate areas of the realm, very common in a village called Eveningstar where wizards would often go to acquire them as a familiar. They seemed to be more intelligent than humans. Because they were a more advanced creature, the wizards tended to need to be more experienced to bond with them.

They enjoyed hunting small rodents, particularly rats and mice, and sometimes small birds, although they would not harm baby birds or eggs. They avoided creatures larger than themselves, preferring to fly away rather than engage in combat.

They possessed sensory traits of both cats and owls and were able to more fully observe and report activities, see through magical invisibility if close enough, and operate more delicate items (although limited by their lack of opposable thumbs). One rather unique and useful trait was immunity to, and the ability to detect, poison and toxic gases.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 06/05/23 14:55 UTC
Jaliera

She wakes to find most of her companions are up and about. So she dresses quickly and takes a quick look out before joining the others, relieved that things seemed to be fine.

"Oh a flying cat!"

She sounds delighted.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 06/05/23 15:49 UTC
Vordana Jezral

The halfling greets each new party member as they approach and identify themselves, offering her name at least once again but not repeating for each one. She remains perched atop Tod; perhaps so that she can see eye to eye with the taller adventurers.

The "flying cat," for her part, has gone back into the forested area a third time, and retrieved a third fluffy creature for Glork. On this approach she loiters a bit, lazily flying back and forth and waiting for a cue from the ogre where he would like the delivery.
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 06/05/23 22:11 UTC
Zindra

When Zindra says 'flying cat', the scout says, "Really a cross between a cat and an owl. I hear that wizards seek to have them as familiars. Maybe it's their immunity and ability to detect to bad air and their ability to see invisible things?"
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 06/05/23 22:17 UTC
Glorrk

Starts waving his arms jaw open looking up at the cat bird.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 07/05/23 05:28 UTC
Flycatcher

The cat-bird identifies Glork's expression as an apparent target, and she spins around, flapping her wings to gain some height, swooping down in front of Glork and then using her wings to glide upward, releasing the furry (but dead) creature at just the right moment to arc gracefully toward the ogre's open mouth.

Flycatcher SFC toss
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+2 and got 20

The targeting isn't quite spot on, but Glork only needs to move his head slightly... if in fact his goal is to catch the creature in his mouth.

(OOC: did this (the catching part) with a shrimp at a Japanese Steakhouse last week. Chef may have had a +2 dex modifier as well...)
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 08/05/23 01:32 UTC
Glork

Glork realized it is coming for him and his eyes widen along with his jaw. A SFC just for him as he chomps it out of the air.

He's still half chewing it as he walks back to camp saying, "Rrnrrnrn Cat bird bring furry creatures... Food." while holding out the other SFC.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 08/05/23 05:05 UTC
Vordana Jezral

After the third morsel of food for the Ogre, the tressym arcs back toward Vordana, who holds an arm up briefly for the creature to land, and then move up a bit to perch on her shoulder.

"Indeed," she nods toward Zindra's observation, "Although for me, I oft travel alone and Flycatcher serves as great company."

She smirks at the ogre. "And I very rarely have to be concerned about hunting my dinner."

She smiles around at the group, who still seems content to have her join the party, looking to see if there's anything obvious she could contribute towards, but otherwise trying to remain out of the way as everyone stirs. In service of that, she nudges her mule toward the giant sword, riding toward it to inspect it more closely.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 08/05/23 09:26 UTC
Jaliera

"Hi I'm Jaliera. You sound well travelled."

She smiles.

"Do you know much about giants?"

She nods towards the sword.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 08/05/23 15:54 UTC
Vordana

"A bit," the halfling answers Jaliera. "But mostly stories from ages past."

She looks down at the ground, and the many animal tracks still present from fetching the sword's victims.

"This..." she muses, "is not right."
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 08/05/23 20:36 UTC
<Bern>

"Why do you say that", he asked when she expressed much the same thing he had been thinking.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 09/05/23 10:36 UTC
Jaliera

"I'd be interested to hear your tales. And as to the sword, it was zapping anything that touched it but we disarmed it."

She sees no reason to be secretive.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 09/05/23 23:20 UTC
Vordana

The halfling answers Bern with a sigh. "Magic has its place, but that place is not harming innocent passers-by."

To Jaliera, she continues, "I'm sure if I'm accompanying your party for any length of time there will be more than enough opportunity for tales on both sides. And songs, perhaps, as I assume from your nightly lodging that you have a bard amongst you."
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 10/05/23 12:01 UTC
<Bern>

"Same could be said about swords and the like", he said with a shrug. "It is not the tool, it is how it is used that is good or bad."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 10/05/23 13:38 UTC
Jaliera

"Sounds good."

She nods and points.

"Yes Sindar is our bard."
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 10/05/23 19:46 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn proceeded through his morning routine, but kept his eyes and ears open, regarding the tail end of their new cohort's impressive ogre management and catching their name when shared. He eventually headed over towards the massive blade once his share of the morning tasks were done.

"Well met, Vordana. I hight Kriv Norixius of Norixius Keep, scholar of the Art. The source of that thing's magic was a stone infused with the ancient runic magic of the giants, effectively wreathing the blade in lightning."
Sindar

He waved from where he was performing his own morning routines.
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 10/05/23 21:05 UTC
Zindra
She knew her place, as a scout and guide for this group, so she decided to follow the decisions the others made.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 10/05/23 22:56 UTC
Vordana

"Giant runes," Vordana repeats as Kriv explains more about the sword. "And no doubt this sword once belonged to a storm giant," she adds with a glance upward, as if she might see a giant up there.

Lowering her head to face the group, she adds, "I met another traveler who happened upon what they perceived as a large statue near the road. Just before they approached it, a storm giant struck it with lightning as it flew by on its roc," she explains, shaking her head.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 11/05/23 14:14 UTC
Jaliera

"Where was that Vordana?"

Interesting...
Sindar

He moved over to the sword having finished his morning duties. He listened to the discussion about the Storm Giant, which was new information for him. He said nothing hoping that Jaliera's question would elicit additional details.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 11/05/23 21:48 UTC
Vordana

"I didn't ask for a precise location," the halfling answers Jaliera. "But they'd been traveling this way from Everlund, so somewhere between here and there. In general, almost everything I've heard about the giants is in that direction," she gestures easterly. "Which may explain my direction of travel," is added with a chuckle. "I assume you are doing the same?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 12/05/23 03:02 UTC
Zindra

She answers without looking, having overheard Vordana. "We're headed towards Everlund. Giants you say? On the way to Everlund?"

When she does glance at Vordana, there was a grin on her face. She was looking forward to meeting her most hated enemy head on.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 14/05/23 15:29 UTC
Vordana

The halfling turns her attention back to Kriv. "Do you still have this stone?" she asks. "Have you investigated its properties any further?"
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 16/05/23 19:21 UTC
Kriv

The noble scion retrieved it.

"Working on it carefully. The consequences of a misstep could be..."

He gestured at the piles of electricity-charred wildlife.

"So I've been going at it from the fundamentals first, origin, provenance, any potentially related works. We know it can be inset into a weapon, but the scale of it makes doing so and having it be usable a unique challenge."

Offhandedly, he teleported his maul into his grip.

"Take this, for example. If we used the runestone as the hammerhead for this or another kind of battlehammer, would it activate? If so, would it do so safely or make the haft a deathtrap? Would being at the concussive end of such a weapon damage the stone or mar the rune? Plenty of questions, some with potentially terminal answers."

He carefully touched the runestone to the weapon head.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 17/05/23 03:33 UTC
Vordana

"Well reasoned," the halfling compliments Kriv. "Given that its previous home in a weapon channeled power normally wielded by that weapon's owner, such handling by someone else could be a risk."

She turns her head back to the weapon to study it.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 19/05/23 01:56 UTC
Glork

Watches the puny humanoid. "Can I have birdie? He my fren." He constantly looks over to the tressym admiring it.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 20/05/23 03:23 UTC
Vordana

The halfling chuckles at Glork's request. "I don't think Flycatcher can be 'had' by anyone, much like most cats. But I do think she likes to play with you."

She looks around at the other party, not trying to interfere with their preparations for getting on the road, but wondering if they're going to sit around and brew coffee before trudging eastward.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 20/05/23 03:37 UTC
Glork

"Fycatcher?" He sits and tries to move closer to the tressym. Then reaches out to try the flying cat, Carefully so as not to hurt his new friend.Looking at the cat he cock his head and stupidly grins saying, "Frienz?"

(OOC: I'm am dying laughing here.. I am not making up this roll...)

Glork Charisma check to make friends with tressym
Miales rolled d20 and got 1

Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 20/05/23 03:55 UTC
Flycatcher

The winged cat looks skeptically at Glork. While she may enjoy playing games with him, she's been careful to keep her distance. Even if the ogre means to be friends, she doesn't trust him to not accidentally hurt her.

She hisses slightly as Glork reaches out, attempting to warn. Since that doesn't seem to have had its impact, she reaches out a clawed paw to scratch at Glork's hand to give a clear signal to stay away.

Claws. Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 slashing damage.
Flycatcher Claw attack Glork vs. AC 11
AquaDyne rolled 1d20 and got 1

Unfortunatelly for Flycatcher, her attack causes her to lose her balance off Vordana's shoulder, and she tumbles toward the ground.... fortunately, she lands on her feet, as cats are wont to do.

And then she flies away, gaining some distance from Glork.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 20/05/23 04:00 UTC
Glork

"Meanie!!" Rawr... chases the tressym...
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 20/05/23 17:01 UTC
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]DM

Flycatcher has a bit of an advantage in her quest to stay away from Glork. While her flying speed matches his running speed with his large legs, she is easily able to gain altitude, whilst he is earth-bound.

The party finishes their morning preparations, Glork eventually gives up on the chase and the tressym eventually returns to Vordana's shoulder. And the party continues their eastward travel, on day three of four planned.

The halfling tells a few stories along the way. Most involve name-dropping of various inn owners from Neverwinter to Deadsnows, and it's clear she is very familiar with the roads and trails of the North and the settlements along them.

It's somewhere around noon that the travelers can see something off the road far ahead... reflecting the sun's light toward them.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 20/05/23 20:11 UTC
<Bern>

The hike is mostly straight forward ... until ...

"Anyone have an idea about what that is", he asked pointing at the 'reflections'.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 20/05/23 20:53 UTC
Vordana Jezral

"I'm going to put my gold on some shiny object that fell from the sky, like that sword at your camp, or maybe a shield," the halfling contributes as an idea.

"Anyone up for a wager?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 21/05/23 00:08 UTC
(OOC - Don't know why, but I had thought we were mounted on horses? Perhaps not?)
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 21/05/23 12:16 UTC
Glork

Is following but staying away from his mortal enemy. His "friend" who attacked him. He passes the time dwelling on the tressym. Occasionally the rest of the group would hear him chuckle as they walk. His tummy starts rumbling as noon approaches. By then he is hoping the cat thing would go hunting for more food.

Wanting to be away from the group he rushes ahead when they see the shiny object.

"MINE!!! Glork get!!!"

And he's off at a run to his new treasure.

(OOC: Sorry have to be true to Glork's greedy stupidity...

5e Ogre description:

Greedy Collectors. An ogre’s eyes glitter with avarice when it sees the possessions of others. Ogres carry rough sacks on their raids, which they fill with fabulous “treasure” taken from their victims. This might include a collection of battered helmets, a moldy wheel of cheese, a rough patch of animal fur fastened like a cloak, or a squealing, mud-spattered pig. Ogres also delight in the gleam of gold and silver, and they will fight one another over small handfuls of coins. Smarter creatures can earn an ogre’s trust by offering it gold or a weapon forged for a creature of its size.

Legendary Stupidity. Few ogres can count to ten, even with their fingers in front of them. Most speak only a rudimentary form of Giant and know a smattering of Common words. Ogres believe what they are told and are easy to fool or confuse, but they break things they don’t understand. Silver-tongued tricksters who test their talents on ogres typically end up eating their eloquent words—and then being eaten in turn.
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 21/05/23 16:08 UTC
Zindra

"Damn it!"

She didn't try and hold back her frustration. The ogre was going to continue to be a problem. She knew it. Everyone knew it. They would need to separate ways with him before they reached a town. They probably should have parted ways already.

"We better catch up to him," she said as she spurred her steed forward. As she rode forward, she scanned the area for hostiles.

I'm going to give you a couple of rolls...

Zindra Survival
Neptune rolled 1d20+5 and got 21

Zindra Perception
Neptune rolled 1d20+5 and got 17
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 21/05/23 20:40 UTC
(OOC - Yeah, horses move faster than humanoids "On foot". Not that much faster, as they can't run all the time, but definitely faster. There was no "Mounted" column shown. Understood that with Glork, even if we are mounted, we'd be limited by his speed anyway.)
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 22/05/23 00:34 UTC
Kriv

“Or leave him to it, if there’s a diversionary path to be had. An easier break point when he is the one running away from the group.”
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 22/05/23 02:46 UTC
OOC: For long-term travel (the daily map) the mounted travel time is the same for mounted (encumbered) vs. walking. For chasing down a rogue ogre, the horse can go faster (for up to an hour). Waiting for everyone to either indicate giving chase / overtaking or letting Glork chase the shiny object. smile
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 22/05/23 11:03 UTC
[OOC Not saying my memory is good but I thought Davroar and Jaliera were walking? smile )
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 22/05/23 12:10 UTC
<Bern>

He debated the best plan. They =could= let Glork run off on his own adventure. But he =was= also curious about the source of the flashing. He decided to wait and see if there was a consensus.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 22/05/23 13:30 UTC
Zhu

She sighs, then reaches into her pouch and calls out to the running Ogre. "Hey Glork! Want some Gold? I have some here for you if you stay with us." She holds her hand aloft, a few Gold pieces glittering in it.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 22/05/23 13:48 UTC
<Bern>

"Food might have been a better 'enticement' ... and cheaper", he said with a grin
Sindar

"I, for one am curious about the shiny object," he watches the ogre determining his speed. He is happy to chase him down and see what is what.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 23/05/23 00:43 UTC
Glork

(OOC: Imagine to yourself someone running. A goal in mind. In their heart. In their very soul... and the theme to Chariots of Fire... this is Glork...)

Nothing matters to him. Nothing but the shiny. Must have that shiny. Ohhh that shiny. Glork runs... his massive arms pumping... legs driving... his belly creating waves along his torso. The shiny.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 24/05/23 02:25 UTC
DM[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Glork is undeterred by Zindra's chasing or Zhu's attempt to distract with other shinies.

Fortunately for the party, it doesn't yet seem as if there's anything around the shiny object, even as they get closer to it.

All that glitters is not gold, but in this case, the glittering object is gold. And big. It's a giant mask with an angry/scowling expression on it. A stick below the chin looks like it is meant to be held up by a creature large enough for the mask to cover its face... which would be about twice the size of Glork's face.

First to the prize, it's Glork's for the taking if he wants to pick it up!

Assuming it's just a mask, of course.

(OOC: Those who gave chase are close enough to shout any orders or warnings at Glork before he touches the item.)
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 24/05/23 05:27 UTC
Glork

He gets to the gold mask. Panting. Chest heaving from his sprint to his shiny. He reaches out to it. To hold his precious shiny. His bratwurst sized fingers grasping the sides of the mask to draw it in to him. His precious shiny.
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 24/05/23 05:54 UTC
Davroar

Keeping beside Jaliera on foot, Davroar is accustomed to long-distance jogs since his childhood nomadic upbringing on the Narfell plains. Davroar will hold off on shape-changing into a faster animal to go after
Glork as he runs to the distant glittering object when most of the group seems content to just proceed at their normal pace.

As Davroar gets closer to make out what the shiny object is, he comments to Jaliera with a bemused tone, "These giants seem to be forgetful with their possessions..."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 24/05/23 11:07 UTC
Jaliera

She is happy to spend time with Davroar as they travel. Often they number amongst her happy times. And he tells her so much about the natural world, makes her appreciate what is around her.

"Don't you think it is odd that giants are suddenly being careless or forgetful? I think there might be something more to it. Perhaps the items have been stolen by more normal sized creatures and then abandoned as they struggle to carry them? Or maybe the giants are fighting amongst themselves and these are the items left behind? Except there would be bodies wouldn't there? Or maybe the items got cursed in some way and then abandoned?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 24/05/23 15:28 UTC
Zindra
She moves quicker than most and soon gets close enough to Glork to see him reach a mask.

"Is that the famous CURSED mask of make you a kobold?" she calls out. "I think you would make a fine kobold!"

ooc: half elves move 35.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 24/05/23 15:56 UTC
DM

The halfling does not rush ahead with those who choose to do so, instead plodding along on her mule (Tod), along with anyone else in the party who proceeded along at normal speed, or lagging behind if they all move faster.

Flycatcher does leap off her shoulder and keep up with Glork to be nearby when he reaches the mask, but doesn't do anything to prevent him from touching it. Perhaps she's interested in seeing if he turns into a kobold.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 24/05/23 18:16 UTC
<Bern>

As the others seem to have things 'well in hand' with the 'new discovery', he continues to look for 'incoming' issues.

[[ lemme know if/when ya need a roll <g> ]]
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 24/05/23 20:32 UTC
DM

While Bern doesn't see any incoming issues, Zindra has been searching as well, including not only an immediate scan, but an investigation of tracks on the ground.

Unlike the sword where the party spent last night, this particular item-that-fell-from-the-sky has been visited recently; at least recent enough that footprints indicate humanoid investigation of it, and apparently a decision to leave it where it was. There are no signs of larger creatures passing through.

Yet.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 26/05/23 04:30 UTC
Glork

Takes hold of the mask and finally turns back to figure out the shouting he heard. Seeing that he was being chased he growls thinking they want to take his shiny
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 26/05/23 16:38 UTC
DM

Kriv's comment about Glork breaking away from the group in case the mask was a diversion doesn't seem to have been heeded by the party, which is now spread out quite a bit, over several hundred feet of road.

The ogre has reached the mask, grabbing and pulling it to himself, although not yet attempting to lift the heavy and awkward prize. There are no obvious signs of any magical response to touching the mask, although he is growling at Zindra, and it's not clear if that's just his ogre selfishness or something the angry face of the mask is causing. Zindra and Sindar have apparently tried to keep up with the Ogre.

Between them and the rest of the party, Davroar and Jaliera jog toward the shiny, while the remaining adventurers and their halfling guest continue on at their earlier pace.

The sun shines high overhead.

OOC: I've tossed tokens onto the Roll20 map as I think you've all posted. Feel free to drag and move if I misinterpreted what you were doing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 27/05/23 12:20 UTC
Kriv

"We should have just left him to it, given we're unlikely to get it off him peacefully, and I find the idea of taking arms against a former travelling companion without excellent justification to be... distasteful."

Kriv saw no reason to pick up the pace, if need be he could take an oblique angle from the path and have a clear shot at the ogre if things turned hostile.
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 27/05/23 12:32 UTC
Zindra

She slows down as she sees that Glork had already picked up the item and keeps her distance, knowing how volatile ogres can get.

"Are you feeling alright? Finders keepers. You found. You keep. Nobody will take that away from you friend. Can we check it to make sure it is safe? Shiny things sometimes are dangerous."
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 28/05/23 01:55 UTC
Glork

Glork stops growling slowly looking at Zindra. "Glork keep? Shiny danger... us?"
Posted By: nem Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 28/05/23 07:58 UTC
Arus

A dispersed column can be useful for counter ambush. Though they trek along an open road, the Realms are a perilous place, full of magic and monsters that are rarely obvious.

So Arus keeps his pace and soothes his steed. He also loosens his sword in its scabbard though.

The triton nods in agreement with Kriv.

"The ogre has a child-like quality, I deem, and brings out the parent in our companions." he says. "Admirable natural instincts but let us hope a tantrum isn't in the offing."
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 28/05/23 11:14 UTC
Zindra
"Some things are danger. We should check. I like you Glork like you are. I don't want you to turn into a squishy kobold."

She would have gone on but it would confuse Glork.
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 29/05/23 07:02 UTC
Davroar

Jaliera asks good questions, but he does not have any answers either.

"Really don't know Jaliera... seems all these different giants are a lot more angry than usual. I've yet to see a storm giant to ask one."

Judging by the size of their weapons, Davroar would rather avoid them as much as possible, at least in any significant numbers. Looking ahead, he sees that Glork has already claimed the giant mask and so far nothing bad has happened to him, so at least it seems Jaliera's question of about these giant items are not cursed.

Catching up to Sindar, Zindra, and Glork he asks, "Hey Zindra, did you detect anything bad from it?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 29/05/23 10:22 UTC
Jaliera

She moves up alongside Davroar to talk to the others.

"It seems strange keep finding these huge items strewn all over the place. Davroar and I were just talking about them, theorising why it might be happening. Only guesswork at the moment as we don't have much information."
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 29/05/23 11:58 UTC
<Bern>

"There might be some conflict ... either between themselves or with someone or something else", he offered.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 30/05/23 00:15 UTC
Glork

Looks at Zindra stupidly... "Kobold? Glork no kobold."
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 30/05/23 17:34 UTC
Zindra
"Good! Not yet!" she said with an uplifting tone. "But you should know that I would be a friend to Glork if he was an ogre or a kobold!"
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 31/05/23 02:28 UTC
Flycatcher

The halfling's companion tressym lazily flies circles around Glork and Zindra as they discuss the mask and its potential. She's sure to stay a good 60 feet or so away from them, just in case something goes kablooey.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 31/05/23 07:19 UTC
Glork

Glork tries to pick up the mask.

Glork Strength check
Miales rolled d20 and got 8
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 31/05/23 15:45 UTC
DM

Glork is able to pick up the heavy mask -- it weighs about 100 lbs. However, Glork would immediately recognize that he'd not be able to outrun the party quite as easily if he were trying to carry this!

OOC: Glork is now encumbered; his speed is reduced by 10.
Sindar

He rides up and watches Glork. A small smile crosses his half-elven features. "Does it occur to anyone else that a giant masquerade ball might have been held in the clouds and that the drunk partygoers are dropping their stuff all around?" From the look on his visage, it is clear he is joking, but his eyes hold a twinkle; there is just enough odd in this world that it might, just might be possible.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 01/06/23 22:14 UTC
<Bern>

"I was thinking that some sort of 'altercation' is more likely", he offered.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 05:45 UTC
DM

There was no obvious magical interaction when Glork touched the mask. And even when he picked it up, nothing odd (like turning into a kobold) happened.

And even now, as Glork tries to find a comfortable way to carry the large mask, there's no obvious magical effects associated with it.

But something is happening. The perceptive, like Zindra, and alert, like Bern, notice it first. Whether through the ground under their feet or a rumbling noise out of place in the otherwise quiet surroundings... something is happening. Something... familiar, yet not common.

By the time a half a minute has elapsed, the whole party can feel and/or hear it. Rumbling. Not an earthquake... more like the sound of...

Hooves.

Many hooves.

To the north, through the sparse forest, a cloud of dust gives evidence to one possible source of the noise.

But also to the south, a similar dusty blur, from which the party can likely expect something will emerge soon.

And a few seconds later, it does. A half-dozen or more... hard to count just yet, mounted warriors riding in from the north. And another equally sized party to the south.

This might be a good time to adopt a defensive posture, for those not distracted by shiny things.

OOC 1: Roll for initiative.

OOC 2: You may want to review review mounted combat rules. Your opponents are all presently mounted, and riding fast. You have your choice of remaining mounted (as you are for traveling) or dismounting. Let me know your choices.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 06:12 UTC
Glork

His shiny wasn't being help full. Too big for back and too big to carry. Glork was growing frustrated and almost was about to try bending the mask when he stopped himself. It would huirt his shiny if he did that.

"Zindra, Need help. Want to carry but need better way than holding eyelets."

He was oblivious to the threat until after he asked the question. But then he heard the rumbling and saw the dust. "They were here for Shiny..." He grabs his club and growls in defiance.

GLork Initiative
Miales rolled d20 and got 9
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 07:31 UTC
Davroar

It seems too coincidental to him having a large shiny object with two mounted groups converging on their position to be anything other than an ambush.
Davroar quickly figures that attempting to wild-shaping to a horse in order to outrun the ambush will probably not work. Two spells come to mind that might help, but he will hold off for the moment. They had come across the barbarians earlier, and perhaps they can parlay themselves out of this situation too. Looking to Jaliera, he asks, "It's an ambush! Yet, should we wait though to see if these groups might want?"

Davroar Initiative
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 8
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 10:49 UTC
Jaliera

"Going to hide."

She looks for a place that is unlikely to be trampled and hides. She prefers to be less of a target and it helps her sneak attack. Hopefully these warriors have issues with each other.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 12:16 UTC
<Bern>

The sounds resolving into two 'groups' riding in convinced him to get his bow ready.

[[ Bern init MikeD rolled d20+3 and got 21 ]]
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 12:32 UTC
Zhu

Pulling her horse to a stop, she wheels around to take in the scene. Idly, a thought crosses her mind that perhaps these two group are independent of each other and the party just happens to be in the middle of a fight that doesn't concern them, but she smiles slightly at how unlikely that is. Several possible spells come to mind but she waits to see whether the approaching group draws weapons or otherwise makes hostile intentions clear.

Initiative
Zhuirentel Elendaril
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 15:49 UTC
DM

The approaching marauders come a bit more into view, still well out of range.

To the south, the adventurers can make out a line of cloaked humanoid figures, mounted on riding horses, seven abreast behind a leader, approaching with his sword drawn and reflecting the sunlight. The group to the north is slightly larger, with a total of nine riders, two of them leading the other seven.

If there was any doubt whether they were after each other or staging some sort of ambush, that's quickly resolved when the northerly group splits, with one of the two leaders turning slightly west directly toward the western end of the party (Arus, Kriv, Bern, Zhu, and Vordana) with the 7 riders following them. One leader continues solo toward Glork and his shiny mask, and the others around him (Davroar, Jaliera, Sindar, and Zindra), the same target as the southerly group is approaching.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 16:00 UTC
Vordana

The halfling dismounts her mule and with a pat to his hindquarters, sends him trotting westward away from where the battle is likely to take place. She nocks an arrow in her bow, preparing to take aim at one of the approaching bandits.

Flycatcher, for her part, is also uninterested in participating in the upcoming battle and follows the mule well away from the party.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 02/06/23 17:15 UTC
<Bern>

As the groups came into view, it did not seem that they were not interested in talking. He knocks an arrow and then looks to see who is the 'closest' and targets him. But he is willing to wait a =bit= longer to see if 'they' might be interested in talking rather than dyeing.
Sindar

He could only imagine that someone else say the thing fall from the sky. Though he agrees with his companions the timing is suspicious.

Sindar Initiative for Mounted Groups
Pandemonium rolled 1d20+3 and got 8
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 03/06/23 14:59 UTC
Kriv

Kriv initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 4

"Converge on the southern group! Break the encirclement at its weakest point!" Roared the Dragonborn, dropping from his mount and calling his weapons to hand.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 04/06/23 08:51 UTC
Jaliera Initiative
Gypsy rolled 1d20+4 and got 23
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 05/06/23 11:13 UTC
Zindra Initiative
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 12
Posted By: nem Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 06/06/23 19:03 UTC
Arus on 9
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 07/06/23 03:12 UTC
DM

Currently the attackers are about 160-200 feet away; they have their weapons drawn. Most of the attackers (BS, BA) have shortbows out with an arrow nocked, and the glint of shortswords at their sides indicate they might also be trouble if they ride into melee. While they certainly are close enough to fire long range shots, they do appear to be holding their fire until they're closer.

The sole rider (BP) who broke off from the northerly group to attack the easterly party is wielding a mace; the two leaders (BB, BW) have their longswords drawn.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 07/06/23 12:21 UTC
<Bern>

Since they had their bows at the ready ... he did the same targeting the nearest archer.

[[ Bern would be waiting with a readied action for when the 'front runner' gets in range ]]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 08/06/23 09:40 UTC
Jaliera

She will stay in hiding waiting for the opportunity for a sneak attack.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 08/06/23 14:37 UTC
Vordana Jezral

While Jaliera remains hidden and Bern keeps his bow at the ready, Vordana moves a bit northrward toward the approaching horde, and then lays four arrows on the ground. She utters a quiet incantation, naming each of the other nine party members and even their mounts, and doesn't neglect Whisper or Flycatcher either, in excepting them from the defensive spell she's casting.

Cordon of Arrows

You plant four pieces of nonmagical ammunition – arrows or crossbow bolts – in the ground within range and lay magic upon them to protect an area. Until the spell ends, whenever a creature other than you comes within 30 feet of the ammunition for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there, one piece of ammunition flies up to strike it. The creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 piercing damage. The piece of ammunition is then destroyed. The spell ends when no ammunition remains.

When you cast this spell, you can designate any creatures you choose, and the spell ignores them.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 08/06/23 15:00 UTC
Bandit Assassin (N)

The attacker in the center of the line abreast formation speeds forward on their mount (Riding Horse: Dash = 120 ft) which brings them close enough to take the first shot, targeting the nearest defender which happens to be Vordana.

Poison Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw, taking 1d4 poison damage on a failed save.

Bandit Assassin (N) Poison Shortbow
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2,1d4 and got 18, 7, 3

Vordana Jezral DC10 Con Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+2 and got 7

The poisoned shot hits true. First blood is drawn. If there was any doubt in the party that the attackers were intending to parlay, it's pretty much eliminated by now.

Bandit Assassin (S)

A similar attack takes place with the southern flank attacking the eastern half of the party. The attacker at the center of the line speeds forward (Riding Horse: Dash = 120 ft) and targets the nearest defender which happens to be Zindra.

Poison Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw, taking 1d4 poison damage on a failed save.

Bandit Assassin (S) Poison Shortbow
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2,1d4 and got 18, 3, 4
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 08/06/23 16:08 UTC
<Bern>

When one of the bandits [N] speeds forward, clearly intending to attack, Bern lets his arrows fly.

Bern bow MikeD rolled d20+9,d8+3,d20+9,d8+3 and got 11, 9, 24, 14
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 08/06/23 19:30 UTC
Zindra Con save vs poison arrow
Neptune rolled 1d20+1 and got 2

OOPS!

I think she goes next?
If so, she's casting ANOTHER Spike Growth on the group that the arrow came from:

Spike Growth
Casting Time: 1 actipn
Range: 150/20'radius
Duration: Concentration 10 minutes
The ground in a 20-foot radius centered on a point within range twists and sprouts hard spikes and thorns. The area becomes difficult terrain for the duration. When a creature moves into or within the area, it takes 2d4 piercing damage for every 5 feet it travels.

The transformation of the ground is camouflaged to look natural. Any creature that can't see the area at the time the spell is cast must make a Wisdom (Perception) check against your spell save DC to recognize the terrain as hazardous before entering it.

Of course, the map doesn't have clear distances marked. If they are not within range, her trigger, for a readied action, is to cast it once they are in range. As part of her move she will get within range to cast it.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 09/06/23 12:04 UTC
(OOC - Aqua - QQ - For purposes of spell effects I presume the mounts count as separate beings?)
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 09/06/23 15:03 UTC
OOC:

Summarizing what has happened so far in initiative order:

Jaliera 23 - remained hiding
Bern 21 - readied an action to shoot at the "front runner"
Vordana 19 - cast cordon of arrows, excluding all the party members, their mounts, and their familiars from being targeted
Bandit Assassin Mounts 14 - Moved forward max move (60) and used the Dash action to move another 60
- This brougnt BA-N within range for Bern's readied range attack (11, 9). At AC 13, this shot missed.
Bandit Assassins 14 - (BA-N and BA-S) The central archers of each of the 7 abreast lines each made range attacks with poison shortbow, hitting Vordana (-10 HP) and Zindra (-7 HP)

Upcoming moves:

Bandit Battlemaster Mount 13 - Will be moving forward max move (60) and using Dash action
Bandit Battlemaster 13 - (BB) Will be readying a melee attack against any opponent in range
Zhu 12 - can move or let Zindra go first but whatever you decide this round will stick
Zindra 12 - last I know intended to cast spike growth centered around BA-S.
Bandit Scout Mounts 10 - Will be moving forward max move (60) and using Dash action
Bandit Scouts 10 - Will probably be shooting at people within range. smile

Originally Posted by Zeim
(OOC - Aqua - QQ - For purposes of spell effects I presume the mounts count as separate beings?)

Yes, the mount and rider are separate creatures, and AOE effects hit both generally, and other attacks can target either; note that a rider with the Mounted Combatant feat can redirect its mount's damage to itself. Some other key points (there are a few more you can read about here)
- When mounted, the horse assumes the initiative order of its rider, and I have chosen the mounts to move first in this order.
- The mount's movement and actions are separate from the rider's, although when a rider is mounted the mount only has 3 options: Dodge, Disengage, or Dash. The rider could, if they chose, dismount using half their movement and continue to move forward. Note the turns are separate, so you can't split the mount's movement in between something the rider does unless the rider readies an action (as BB above) or the mount delays/readies its action based on the rider's actions as a trigger.
- The mount has its own AC and HP and can be targeted separately from riders (if Bern had targeted the mount instead of the rider he would have got a hit against the AC10 horse!)
- The rider has advantage in melee against creatures of smaller size than the mount
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 09/06/23 15:21 UTC
DM

Just before the northerly archer (BA-N) let loose his initial attack on Vordana, Bern's arrow flies towards him, narrowly missing. It would have hit the horse had he aimed lower, but for now, both horse and rider are undamaged, and the rider's attack on Vordana strikes true.

The leader of the northern horde (BB, wielding a longsword and ahead of the line of 7, now 6 abreast) is the next to move forward, as his mount speeds forward (move 60 + dash). He shouts a few words that shouldn't be repeated to young children, waving his longswoard and readying an attack should he get the opportunity. (Ready longsword melee attack if an enemy is in range.)

OOC: I'm tracking movement on Roll20 but all dice rolls/HP tracking/etc. is here. Let me know if you can't see the Roll20 map or move your tokens. Also, I think some of you are mounted and you didn't make that clear earlier; that may impact combat and your future travels if something bad happens to your mount! smile I am assuming everyone is unmounted unless you tell me otherwise.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 09/06/23 16:06 UTC
(OOC - Aqua - Are the other bandits only armed with swords or do they all have bows? Oh, ignore the spell in Roll20. I clicked on it trying to see what it did. Not casting a spell just yet while most are out of range. I expect to ready an action to cast a spell once all of the bandits have moved so I can see where they all go to and target as many as possible.)
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 09/06/23 17:09 UTC
(OOC - Aqua - Are the other bandits only armed with swords or do they all have bows?
OOC: See this post:
Most of the attackers (BS, BA) have shortbows out with an arrow nocked, and the glint of shortswords at their sides indicate they might also be trouble if they ride into melee.
To summarize:
BB,BW - Longswords
BP - Mace and a book of matches wink
BS,BA - Shortbows (currently wielded), Short Swords available to wield later
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 09/06/23 20:51 UTC
Zhu

Seeing two foes approaching closely she decides not to wait for the rest to approach as she can't guarantee they will all conveniently clump together for her spell. Gesturing to the pair, and pointing, she touches the ruby pendant around her neck briefly. (OOC - Targeting BB and BA and their mounts.) As soon as the spell is cast, she moves away from the approaching enemy to put a bit more distance between them. (OOC - After casting, I moved her on the map, mounted, due south 60 feet.)

Confusion
4th-level (as 4) enchantment
Zhuirentel Elendaril
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (Three nut shells)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
This spell assaults and twists creatures’ minds, spawning delusions and provoking uncontrolled actions. Each creature in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw when you cast this spell or be affected by it.

An affected target can’t take reactions and must roll a d10 at the start of each of its turns to determine its behavior for that turn.

1: The creature uses all its movement to move in a random direction. To determine the direction, roll a d8 and assign a direction to each die face. The creature doesn’t take an action this turn.

2–6: The creature doesn’t move or take actions this turn.

7–8: The creature uses its action to make a melee attack against a randomly determined creature within its reach. If there is no creature within its reach, the creature does nothing this turn.

9–10: The creature can act and move normally.

At the end of its turns, an affected target can make a Wisdom saving throw. If it succeeds, this effect ends for that target.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the radius of the sphere increases by 5 feet for each slot above 4th.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 09/06/23 21:05 UTC
Zhu(OOC - After casting, I moved her on the map, mounted, due south 60 feet.)
OOC: Speed is 30 and you already used your action for spell casting so you can't dash, unless I'm missing something?

OOC 2: Love the spell weg

BB Wisdom Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+0 and got 20
BB Mount Wisdom Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+0 and got 15

BA-N Wisdom Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+0 and got 1
BA-N Mount Wisdom Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+0 and got 20

So neither BB nor the mounts are confused but BA-N is.
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 10/06/23 14:38 UTC
OOC: It's good to get the tactical map. The bandits in the back are spread over 100 feet and the range for the spell is off. So, instead of the spell...

Zindra
She sees one particularly nasty bandit boldly charging forward. She focuses herself on that assailant Hunter's mark on BA-S (bonus action, 90 ft range) then aims and fires an arrow from her longbow at him.
Zindra Long bow at BA-S (Attack, damage, Hunters mark damage)
Neptune rolled 1d20+8,1d8+3,1d6 and got 13, 4, 3
(Not good rolls!)
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 10/06/23 16:10 UTC
DM

Zindra's shot hits true, exchanging the same damage with the attacker as she had just received.

But most of the rest of the attackers are now closing in.

They are all skilled archers, and are able to get two shots off rather quickly.

Multiattack. The bandit makes two ranged attacks.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

The riders from the north continue racing toward the western half of the party, bows at the ready. (Mounts move 60 + Dash.)

Not yet close enough for a more accurate shot at anyone, the two westernmost attackers fire their arrows toward where Zhu retreated, aiming not for her, but her mount. One of the four arrows hits the horse.

BS-N1 Shortbow Attack @ Zhu's mount, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 20, 24, 6 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 5, 16, 8 (miss)

BS-N2 Shortbow Attack @ Zhu's mount, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 5, 11, 7 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 21, 5, 5 (miss)

One archer is close enough to target Vordana and chooses to target the halfling, one of the arrows striking her.

BS-N3 Shortbow Attack @ Vordana
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 23, 5 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 12, 5 (miss)

One archer is close enough to fire accurate shots at Bern, hitting once.

BS-N4 Shortbow Attack @ Bern
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 22, 4 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 5, 3 (miss)

The other two also aim for Bern, slightly out of their more accurate range, with all four arrows missing him.

BS-N5 Shortbow Attack @ Bern, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 11, 24, 5 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 21, 14, 8 (miss)

BS-N6 Shortbow Attack @ Bern, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 14, 18, 6 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 14, 6, 5 (miss)

The riders from the south make a similar rapid approach to the eastern half of the party, bows at the ready. (Mounts move 60 + Dash.)

Three of them are close enough to Jaliera to target her accurately ... if they could see her! Instead, they target the bard. Only one of them is close enough for an accurate shot, but together volley six arrows in Sindar's direction! Two hit.

BS-S1 Shortbow Attack @ Sindar, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 19, 16, 5 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 6, 24, 8 (miss)

BS-S2 Shortbow Attack @ Sindar, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 9, 14, 4 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 12, 17, 8 (miss)

BS-S3 Shortbow Attack @ Sindar
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 23, 7 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 13, 3 (miss)

One rider aims for Zindra, close enough to shoot accurately, grazing with one, but causing no damage.

BS-S4 Shortbow Attack @ Zindra
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 14, 5 (tie goes to defender)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 10, 3 (miss)

The last two riders are still out of their best range, but together lob four arrows at the ogre with the golden mask. One arrow hits, another is enough to annoy him even if it causes no damage.

BS-S5 Shortbow Attack @ Glork, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 13, 19, 3 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 7, 24, 8 (miss)

BS-S6 Shortbow Attack @ Glork, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 8, 18, 8 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 11, 16, 5 (tie goes to defender)

No doubt those arrows will make Glork very, very angry....
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 10/06/23 17:18 UTC
Glork

Roars in pain and challenge. Carrying the Mask and planting it between Zindra and the riders. Acting as a Ogre shield with a big shiny for his friend.

As for Glork. He moved to Zindra to provide her more cover and readies an attack if/when a Rider comes close enough.
Posted By: nem Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 10/06/23 20:14 UTC
[Arus will stay mounted on his celestial steed for now.]

Arus

He hears Kriv's plans and nods his agreement.

Across the open grassland Arus has a good view of his attackers and an opportunity he's never before had: To cast his trident at long range. This simply isn't possible under the sea but here it is and the triton won't pass it up.

"Let's be a good sport and chance a throw." he says almost to himself.

Wheeling his celestial steed around to gain momentum he hurls the trident in an arc, up and away. He aims to unseat their captain.

[That could be worse. 13 to hit BB's mount, even with disadvantage.

That should hit a riding horse. If it does, damage is 7.]

Catching a glimpse of Bern out the corner of his eye, Arus realises the longbowman is a priority target for the horse-archers.

"Guardian of the Deep, shield this man from his enemies this day."

What looks like a pearlescent coat springs up around Bern.

[Casts Shield of Faith as a bonus action on Bern. Bern gets +2 AC.]
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 11/06/23 08:17 UTC
Davroar

Moving forward a bit he will cast wind wall to cover against future arrow attacks. He is also hoping that if the bandits do come riding in for a charge, they will likely find themselves almost riding into a invisible brick wall.

At the same time he says to his fellow combatants in a lowered voice, "Don't move more than five feet past the edge of our path..."

[ooc: I indicated in blue where I want the windwall placed. I am using the full height of 15' to help prevent them arcing their shots into our current positions. ]
Sindar

The bard looked at the two groups as he dismounted and thought about how his spell array was set up for travel, not attack. He frowned.

Slipping his lute from his body, he began to play, first and foremost singing a kind word Zindra, "may your arrows be blessed by truth."

His strings played a rather discordant note, and twin blasts of green fire leapt from his hand toward one of the bandits in front of them.

OOC: Bardic Inspiration to Zindra for a 1d8.
16 and 25 to hit, 1, 4 on damage for 5 on a single foe if any are wounded. If not, either end BS S1, or BS S6
Sindar Attack, Dmg
Pandemonium rolled 1d20+7,1d10,1d10 and got 16, 1, 4
Sindar Attack
Pandemonium rolled 1d20+7,1d10,1d10 and got 25

Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 11/06/23 18:50 UTC
DM

Sindar's blast streaks toward the center archer to the south, previously injured by Zindra's arrow. Both beams hit him... he looks pretty beat up, but he's not dead yet!

Meanwhile, while most of the eastern half of the party's attention has been focused to the horde attacking from their southern flank, a lone rider (BP) approaches from the north.

The hoofbeats of this mace-weilding, cloaked attacker's mount can barely be heard with all the noise closer to the south, and certainly the rider couldn't hear the words as spells were cast or inspirational words were given. But Davroar's hand movements and the streaks of green flame from Sindar's own hands make it clear they are wielding magic.

And the rider knows some spells as well, his free hand rising to gesture toward Sindar and Davroar, uttering words they can't hear as he concludes his gesture pointing to a spot between them.

It's not just those words they can't hear... abruptly, they can't hear anything. No hoofbeats. No residual sounds from Sindar's lute. Glork's cries of pain fall, literally, on deaf ears, even to Zindra right next to him. Jaliera adds being uhneard to her being unseen.

Silence
For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 20-foot-radius s⁠phere centered on a point you choose within range. Any creature or object entirely inside the s⁠phere is immune to thunder damage, and creatures are deafened while entirely inside it. Casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there.

OOC: Cyan AOE on the roll20 map.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 12/06/23 05:02 UTC
Kriv

True to his word and true to his plan, the Dragonborn, speaking a brief phrase in his native tongue to lend himself preternatural speed, sprinted towards the southern group to give them a problem on their own flank. Another short phrase of Draconic accompanied by a targeting mudra, and Kriv sent a bolt of flame towards the nearest mount of that enemy grouping.

Kriv is 170ft from BS-S1. Kriv's speed is 30ft, Kriv's dash is +30ft for 60ft.
Bonus action: Kriv casts Expeditious Retreat. (Bonus action spell: Can only cast a cantrip in addition this turn.)
As part of casting Expeditious Retreat, Kriv Dashes 60ft directly towards BS-S1.
Kriv casts the Fire Bolt cantrip (Range 120ft) at BS-S1's horse
Kriv fire bolt at BS-S1's horse, damage
AJ rolled 1d20+6,2d10 and got 14, 5

Kriv is holding his staff of Defense and is prepared to cast Shield from it as a reaction after his turn if necessary.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 12/06/23 05:37 UTC
DM

Kriv's dash in the direction of the other group nets him a bit of damage on the westernmost rider's horse, although the mount presses onward with only a bit of a stumble.

OOC: I moved Kriv's token on Roll20 to match your description.

The sole remaining member of the southerly group (BW) charges forward to keep up with everyone else (Mount 60 move + Dash)... actually resuming his position in the lead as the group closes in. His longsword is at the ready for whatever battle may ensue. (Ready Action: Melee attack at first enemy in range.)
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 13/06/23 13:08 UTC
[OOC Time for a sneak attack as discussed in PM wink ]

Jaliera

She raises her bow and targets BW with advantage, hoping she can really help her friends by taking the leader out. Then she hides again.

Jaliera Attack BW
Gypsy rolled 1d20+7,1d20+7,1d6+4,4d6 and got 18, 25, 10, 15

[OOC: Oh yes! grin Rinse and repeat!]

Jaliera Hide with disadvantage
Gypsy rolled 1d20+10,1d20+10 and got 13, 23

[Close but no biscuit! ;)]
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 13/06/23 15:39 UTC
DM

Jaleria's shot, seemingly out of nowhere, hits the leader of the southern troop squarely. By his cry of pain it's clear it did a lot of damage, and he's struggling to stay mounted and alive... not dead yet, but now along with the assassin, clearly not too far away from meeting their maker.

OOC: Unfortunately the ranged shot gave your position away so you can't[edit: have disadvantage to] re-hide in the same spot, as enemies in combat are alert. Not to worry, you can still sneak attack if they're distracted by one of your allies next to them which just might happen before your next turn.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 13/06/23 18:15 UTC
<Bern>

Since Jaleria did some serious damage to one of the leaders, finishing him off seemed like a good choice. He let fly ...

[[ Bern shoot wounded leader MikeD rolled d20+9,d20+9,d8+3 and got 19, 14, 4 ]]

[[ Bern trying again MikeD rolled d20+9,d20+9,d8+3 and got 27, 22, 4 ]]
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 13/06/23 21:30 UTC
DM

While Bern had the best intentions and the skill to pull it off, shooting all the way across the battle field is a long shot. Literally.

Still, he manages to hit with one of his two shots, but the damage fell just short of that necessary to do the job.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 13/06/23 23:01 UTC
Vordana

Her bow at the ready, the halfling takes a cue from Arus, firing off a shot at the leader's riding horse. After the shot, she takes a cue from Zindra, backing away from the attackers as far as she can move.

Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (2d6 + 1) piercing damage.

Vordana Range attack BB mount
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+3,2d6+1 and got 19, 10

The shot hits true, and there is one less riding horse on the field of combat.

The rider (BB) uses his reaction to dismount as the creature falls (no longer has readied melee), landing on his feet.

BA-N

The center archer in the northern line may be a bit confused about what he's doing....

BA-N Confusion random action
AquaDyne rolled 1d20 and got 10

OOC: and so is the DM. Per discussion with Zeim, halving this to result in a d10 roll of 5.

... and ends up doing absolutely nothing. His mount halts, and he just sits there staring at his recently de-horsed leader.

His mount is at least alert enough to want to avoid the same fate as his equine brother, though, and might move enough to try to Dodge incoming arrows.

BA-N DC14 Wisdom Save v. (continued) Confusion
AquaDyne rolled 1d10+0 and got 4

OOC: Oh, so that's where that d10 went! Should have been a d20 sad Doubling this to 8 still fails.

He still looks a little bit confused, though.

BA-S

Meanwhile, over on the eastern half of the battlefield, the center archer there, hanging on for dear life, knows he's mortally wounded and the next hit will likely kill him. He could flee... and probably be killed by his own men. Nope, even bandits have honor and he knows what to do, tactically at least, to enact the carefully choreographed plan.

His mount speeds forward (60 move + 10 using Dash), plunging through the wind wall until it is right next to Davroar, giving the rider advantage on a melee attack. He'd dropped his nocked arrow into his lap as he changed out his bow for his short sword, and the arrow goes flying upward as he passes through the wall.

Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

BA-S Short Sword v. Davroar, with advantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 5, 23, 4

His tactical advantage works in his favor, and Davroar feels the slice of the sword.

BB

The leader of the northern group is horseless....

He knows the archers are better at ranged combat than melee and figures he can swap a mount with one of them, looking at the nearest two and shouting at them to bring him a mount. Meanwhile, he surveys the battlefield, including the multiple hits being taken by the leader on the other side... he's not going to last long. On his own half of the battlefield, his targets are scattering. While Arus seems to be facing him down, Kriv is already heading to the other side, Bern is focusing his bow there, and Vordana and Zhu are in retreat. He shouts some tactical positioning commands to his archers... and meanwhile, while he doesn't move, he does remain ready to try to dodge any incoming attacks. (Dodge action.)

DM

Independent Mounts Initiative
AquaDyne rolled 1d20 and got 3
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 14/06/23 16:43 UTC
Zindra
Not distracted by the sounds of people dying around her, Zindra fires away at the same person that she marked fueled by Sindar's inspiration.

Zindra Fires arrow at BA-S ToHit, Dam, hunter's mark damage
Neptune rolled 1d20+8,1d6+3,1d6 and got 11, 5, 1
Zindra Bardic inspiration
Neptune rolled 1d8 and got 7
ooc: That's an 18 to hit which I assume does hit.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 14/06/23 17:01 UTC
Zhu

Identifying a good target location she touches her amulet and speaks words of power. The words spill from her lips in a blindingly quick fashion and a small seed of fire shoots from her fingertip to the spot she choose.

Targeting BS-N3, which should allow me to also include BS-N2, BA-N, BB, and all of their mounts in the AOE.

Using Metamagic Quickened spell to cast as a Bonus Action:
Fireball
3rd-level (as 3) evocation
Zhuirentel Elendaril
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S, M (a tiny ball of bat guano and sulfur)
Duration: Instantaneous
A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range and then blossoms with a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A target takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.
When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.
DC 15 Dexterity saving throw
Saving throw success:
half damage
Saving throw failure:
25 fire damage
Meta magic: Empowered Spell - Rerolling three 1s and one 2:
rolling 4d6
(3+2+5+1)=11
Net is +6 to damage
Total Damage = 31, Save for 1/2

As soon as the fire seed leaves her fingers, she moves up and continues on and casts another spell targeting BB (assuming he is still up):

Fire Bolt
Cantrip (as 0) evocation
Zhuirentel Elendaril
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
You hurl a mote of fire at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 fire damage. A flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn’t being worn or carried.
This spell’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).
Melee Spell Attack: 25 to hit BB AC 12, range 120 feet
Hit: 10 fire damage

OOC - If BA-N drops she will stop concentrating on the Confusion. Also, I moved her in roll20 but I can't move her horse.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 14/06/23 23:06 UTC
DM

OOC: Since Zhu went first in the first round, that initiative order sticks so I'll adjudicate in that order.

However, I want to clarify mounted movement. Zhu's mount shares the same initiative order but not the same turn. As described the "fireball-move-fire bolt" sequence can't happen. I am going to interpret this as "mount moves to new location, and then Zhu casts both spells". Also the mount hasn't used its action this turn, I'll assume Dodge.

North/West

The bandits should have taken into account the radius of a fireball spell when planning their attack.

They didn't.

Some lessons were learned.

BS-N2 Dex Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+2 and got 16
BS-N2 Mount Dex Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20 and got 18

BS-N3 Dex Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+2 and got 15
BS-N3 Mount Dex Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20 and got 6

BA-N Dex Save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+2 and got 22
BA-N Mount Dex Save (Dodge)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20,1d20 and got 9, 19

BB Dex Save (Dodge)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+1,1d20+1 and got 10, 17

Zhu's fireball engulfs all four targeted bandits and the three mounts between them. The damage is overwhelming to the mounts, who all perish. Their riders use their reaction to land on their feet, but that doesn't save them from taking 15 points of damage.

Except for the confused assassin, who is no longer confused, and no longer alive any more, and whose charred corpse falls next to his charred mount's corpse.

And if the fireball weren't enough for the leader (BB), Zhu follows up with a Fire Bolt, dealing an additional 10 points.

OOC: BA-N is toast (haha) and no longer confused (or alive, so Zhu no longer needs to maintain concentration). His mount is dead. BS-N2 has 4HP left, BS-N3 has 13 HP left, their mounts are dead. BB has 14 HP left.

East/South

Over on the other side of the battlefield, Zindra still has the Hunter's mark (as it was cast when she could speak) and executes the coup de grâce on the assassin who's just attacked Davroar, giving him an honorable death by arrow rather than the ignominy of being killed by an improvised golden mask wielded by an ogre, moving away from the rest of the party to protect against potential additional nefariousness by the bandit spellcaster suspiciously named "Pyro".
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 14/06/23 23:51 UTC
DM

The bandits in the north/west side of the battlefield are shocked to see four of their eight mounts defeated. It's clear the warriors they are up against are skilled.

And yet, they want to follow the tactical instructions given them by their leader who, while slightly singed, is still very much alive. And those instructions were to kill the mounts and reinforce the party to the east....

The westernmost attacker (BS-N1) heads eastward, but rather than attack, rides next to his leader and dismounts. (BS-N1 mount uses Dodge action). Having learned his lesson about the range of the fireball spell he moves away from the horse.

Two of the surviving (barely) scouts, deprived of their mounts, spread out slightly while remaining within bow range of Arus, or more specifically, his steed. They shoot at the mount.

BS-N2 Shortbow vs. Arus Mount
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 23, 6 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 13, 6 (miss)

BS-N3 Shortbow vs. Arus Mount
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 12, 8 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 19, 3 (hit)

The three scouts on the eastern half of the line race eastward to join the battle there (Mounts move 60+Dash). Two of them (BS-N4 and BS-N5) target Zhu's mount, hoping to slow the progress of the fireball-wielder. (At disadvantage, mount used Dodge)

BS-N4 Shortbow vs. Zhu Mount
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 12, 14, 4 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 12, 6, 6 (miss)

BS-N5 Shortbow vs. Zhu Mount
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 22, 19, 4 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 14, 16, 8 (hit)

Zhu finds herself horseless, using her reaction to land on her feet.

The other races further eastward, getting in range of the lute-playing green-flame-casting bard and letting loose a volley.

BS-N6 Shortbow vs. Sindar
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 17, 5 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 23, 8 (hit)

All both shots hit, adding 13 damage to the 12 Sindar had already received from two of the attacking scouts to the south.

It's hard to be the bard.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 15/06/23 02:10 UTC
DM

The bandits in the south/east side of the battlefield had a plan. And everything was going as planned. Even the death of one of their number was accounted for.

The Silence spell cast by their battle cleric to the north was primarily useful only in enclosed environments, as opposed to an open battlefield where the targeted spellcasters merely needed to move out of the area to cast. But they had a plan to essentially put a spell caster into an isolated environment. Turns out they got a two for one deal.

The scouts begin moving in. The damage done by their assassin (BA-S) prior to his untimely demise was enough to break Davroar's concentration so the wind wall isn't even a factor anymore, not that it would have stopped the charging horses. All their horses dash in quickly (Move 60 + Dash) to take their preplanned positions.

BA-S1 is first, riding his horse up and around to the northwest of Sindar. He saw where Jaliera shot from and while he doesn't know if she's still there, he maintains his distance from that spot just in case she is. And while he's positioning himself within melee range of Sindar, he chooses instead to use a ranged attack against Davroar. Unfortunately (for him), his shots miss. He keeps his bow as his weapon of choice, however.

BS-S1 Shortbow vs. Davroar
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 5, 4
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 12, 5

BS-S2 moves in next, into the riskiest of positions. He trades his bow for his shortsword, sliding in between Jaliera (unknown to him) and the two spellcasters to his right, moving his horse next to S1's to block a northwesterly exit. He's still within reach of all three. He strikes at Sindar, drawing even more blood.

BS-S2 Shortsword vs. Sindar, with advantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 16, 20, 3

BS-S3 is next, also switching to his sword as he fills in the final piece of the three-horse barrier preventing Sindar and Davroar from moving west. He strikes at Davroar. Even with the new armor the druid obtained from the barbarians earlier today, it's not enough to protect him.

BS-S3 Shortsword vs. Davroar, with advantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 15, 18, 5

By now the pattern should be clear, as BS-S4 moves in to take his place on the southeast corner, swapping out weapons for his sword as well He braces in preparation for the inevitable swipe by the mask-wielding ogre as he passes. The strike hurts, but doesn't stop him from achieving his goal, where he attacks Davroar, landing another blow.

Glork ready action melee attack vs. BS-S4
Miales rolled d20+7,d8+12 and got 25, 16

BS-S4 Shortsword vs. Davroar, with advantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 16, 24, 5

BS-S5 swings wide around the ogre, finding plenty of space between Glork and Zindra to position himself at the north side of the tiny room being built for Sindar and Davroar. Like the three before him, he's swapped bow for sword and uses it to attack Sindar, missing the bard.

BS-S5 Shortsword vs. Sindar, with advantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 8, 5, 4

And finally, BS-S6 closes off the last possible exit, keeping his bow, and taking a pair of shots at Sindar, missing both shots.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 15/06/23 10:27 UTC
Glork

[DM Note: Retcon to earlier turn]

Glork enters into a Rage when the riders approach and he feel the impact of his club against the Bandit.

Rage • 4 / Long Rest
As a bonus action enter a rage for up to 1 minute (10 rounds).

You gain advantage on STR checks and saving throws (not attacks), +2 melee damage with STR weapons, resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, slashing damage. You can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging.

Your rage ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since

Drawing back his club again he strikes out at the same bandit (BS-S4) with his first attack:

Glork First hit BS-S4
Miales rolled d20+7,d8+12 and got 16, 13+2 (Rage)=15

OOC: Not certain if this hit or not. Or if it killed the Bandit. But if it did his next target will be BS-S6.

Glork Second attack
Miales rolled d20+7,d8+12 and got 21, 13+2(Rage)=15

Now in the event either of those attacks bring a Bandit to 0HP:

Great Weapon Master Attack
On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 HP with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

Glork Bonus attack
Miales rolled d20+7,d8+12 and got 25, 15+2(Rage)=17
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 15/06/23 15:20 UTC
DM

OOC Note: As DM, I sized the encounter assuming all PCs were level 7. After Glork's turn last round, I wanted to make sure combat was fairly balanced and proposed to Miales that we up-stat him from the CR2 NPC stat block that he'd been using, and Miales used the same rules we're all using to generate a level 7 barbarian ogre. He asked at the time about retroactively saying he entered a rage as his bonus action on the previous turn, and my brief answer about pros and cons didn't cover that it would limit his bonus actions this turn by delaying it.

So to be fair, I'm retroactively assuming the Rage occurred as a bonus action at the end of his last turn. That adds 2 melee damage to his readied attack against BS-S4 from the previous turn. The rest of the turn plays as written above (Attack, Extra Attack, Bonus Action Attack for reducing BS-S4 to 0 HP) with one grid square of movement north to be in range of BS-S6, killing him with two blows.

Glork follows up his readied attack on the rider within his reach, dispatching him to meet his maker, even as he takes one large ogre-step northward to land two blows on the last rider to arrive. It does take two blows to fell the archer, but he also joins the choir invisible.
Posted By: nem Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 15/06/23 19:19 UTC
Arus

He steers his warhorse around to line up with Bern, drawing his sword as he does.

Vordana is off to the south, a vulnerable-looking target for the bandits but one Arus thinks they'll want to exploit after the fighting's done.

Arus will hold fast with Bern. If all the northerly bandits attack the east group, then they'll have an exposed flank to contend with. If they attack Arus and Bern, the paladin is fine with that and prepared.

"Easy." he says, soothing his mount, "Let them come to us."
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 17/06/23 04:44 UTC
Davroar

Being surrounded has surprised him, and not wanting to be squeezed he will wild-shape into a giant crab which is smaller than his preference of changing into the more powerful brown bear.
Hopefully his strange appearance will freak out the riderless horses at the same time.
He will then attempt to strike the bandit beside Sindar with his claws.

Davroar attack bandit BS-S2
Dugan rolled 1d20+3,1d6+1 and got 13, 5

AquaDyne, I did find this link on movement, so I would think changing into a cat (tiny) would be able to escape through the riderless horses (large) on his right.
But I figure best to try and engage at least one bandit so they all do not gang-up on Sindar.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 17/06/23 04:56 UTC
DM

A crab looks enough like a spider that the nearby horses are very likely to flee... when they get a chance to. For now they have to wait their turn.

The rider's eyes widen as a crab tries to attack him. That was unexpected. Fortunately he avoids being pinched.
Sindar

He should feel honored that he is such an important opponent. Not only did they cast silence on him, but they also rode up to surround him with a wall of horseflesh. But he doesn't take the time to consider such a thing. He could try and run away, but his companion didn't, turning into a giant crab.

He elects to put all of his energy into dodging the close-in combatants.

[OOC: If Cutting Words is allowed as a gesture, rather than requiring a verbal component, which I interpret by the hearing comment in the description. Sindar will offer as many different versions of go screw yourself, in worse terms in common symbology. Mixed in he has a hand over one finger as well, because well he really is...]
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 17/06/23 15:45 UTC
DM

The combat cleric bandit (BP) looks pleased that his tactical use of Silence had its intended results. He maintains his concentration on that, while backing away slightly to the north, to his maximum range for his next spell. (Mount moved 20 and will dodge.)

Amused at the giant crab, he gets a hankering for some steamed (giant) crab legs, and with a few words and a fist opening its fingers in a bursting motion toward Davroar, he tries to make the decapod's life a bit steamy.

Guiding Bolt

A flash of light streaks toward a creature of your choice within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage, thanks to the mystical dim light glittering on the target until then.

When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

BP Guiding Bolt as 2nd level
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+5,5d6 and got 9, 16

Alas, his attempt fails. Looks like it's still BBQ horse on tonight's menu.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 18/06/23 03:18 UTC
Kriv

There were a number of reasons the Dragonborn noble had dismounted against a primarily mounted enemy. Firstly, a horse with a rider was a priority target, a horse without was a post battle problem. Second, there was plenty that could spook a horse in combat, particularly the fire with which Kriv had an affinity.

Thirdly, it would just slow him down.

He closed the distance with the melee, and seeing a well-equipped but unengaged bandit unleashed fire upon him, making absolutely sure by digging deep into his reserves.

Bonus action Dash via Expeditious retreat, +30ft move. Kriv moves 60ft E towards the melee.
Kriv fire bolt at BW, damage
AJ rolled 1d20+6,2d10 and got 10, 7
Action Surge.
Kriv fire bolt at BW, damage
AJ rolled 1d20+6,2d10 and got 14, 12
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 18/06/23 03:45 UTC
DM

Kriv has led the charge reinforcing those in the eastern portion of the party, and is close enough to start attempting to impact the battle.

Unfortunately, while his pair of fire bolts would have done some damage to the scouts currently in melee with the squishy magic-wielders, the well-armored (and seriously injured) leader has enough armor (AC 18) to deflect the attempted damage. He won't last much longer... but he will last long enough to make an ogre's day a little less enjoyable.

The southern group leader charges forward into melee, finally able to engage his most useful weapon. His mount steers him next to the ogre who has felled two of his men. (Move 50, take Dodge action.). Having readied his sword, he's able to strike immediately upon coming within reach.

Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d8 + 1) slashing damage.

BW Readied melee attack v. Glork
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+3,2d8+1 and got 23, 11

Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

Once his mount stops moving, the leader doesn't let up, swinging twice more at the ogre.

Multiattack. The Bandit makes two melee attacks

BW Poke ogre with pointy thing
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+3,2d8+1 and got 18, 10
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+3,2d8+1 and got 23, 9

Both hits land successfully.

Not a bad first contact with 30 total damage. If only BW can last to land more blows....
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 18/06/23 07:59 UTC
Jaliera

There is a confused mess in this group but she has had a few seconds to work out who to target. She doesn't like that Davroar is being targeted by two opponents and is aware that Sindar is looking hurt. So S2 next to both of them is the target for her arrow and sneak attack.

Jaliera Attack S2
Gypsy rolled 1d20+7,1d6+4,4d6 and got 19, 5, 14

19 to attack, 19 damage.. like that synergy! grin

Then she will move back and hide.

Jaliera Hide
Gypsy rolled 1d20+10 and got 29
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 18/06/23 12:48 UTC
<Bern>

Time to finish off the leader ...

[[ Bern finish off the leader MikeD rolled d20+9,d8+3,d20+9,d8+3 and got 15, 10, 11, 11 ]]
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 18/06/23 14:08 UTC
DM

Jaliera's sneak attack is rather effective in ending the life of her target, leaving yet another independent mount on the battlefield.

Bern's shots against the leader are not quite as effective, as his armor is sufficient to the task, even without his dodging.

Vordana

The halfling doesn't like where she is to the west of everyone else, and spends her movement running in Zhu's direction, Dodging any incoming attacks.

BB

Having successfully dodged Bern's attack, the leader mounts the horse donated to him by BS-N1, and speeds eastward on it, hoping to join into the melee there, since this side of the battlefield isn't letting him do any hacking and slashing!
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 18/06/23 14:42 UTC
Zhu

(OOC - Aqua - See PM.)

She moves east, towards the mass melee and then as she comes into range she uses her Meta magic ability to speed up her casting once more. Targeting the mass of creatures she uses a spell to give her allies various benefits in that combat, then pivoting she casts another Fire Cantrip at the leader who is running across the map.

(OOC - Targeting the center mass of the melee which should allow her to target all of the remaining foes. I think there are 4? If so, she will add the leader's horse and one other of the enemies horses to get to the 6 targets she is allowed.)

Slow
3rd-level (as 3) transmutation
Zhuirentel Elendaril
Components: V, S, M (a drop of molasses)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You alter time around up to six creatures of your choice in a 40-foot cube within range. Each target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be affected by this spell for the duration.
An affected target’s speed is halved, it takes a −2 penalty to AC and Dexterity saving throws, and it can’t use reactions. On its turn, it can use either an action or a bonus action, not both. Regardless of the creature’s abilities or magic items, it can’t make more than one melee or ranged attack during its turn.
If the creature attempts to cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action, roll a d20. On an 11 or higher, the spell doesn’t take effect until the creature’s next turn, and the creature must use its action on that turn to complete the spell. If it can’t, the spell is wasted.
A creature affected by this spell makes another Wisdom saving throw at the end of each of its turn. On a successful save, the effect ends for it.
DC 15 Wisdom saving throw

Fire Bolt
Cantrip (as 0) evocation
Zhuirentel Elendaril
Components: V, S
You hurl a mote of fire at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 fire damage. A flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn’t being worn or carried.
This spell’s damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).
Melee Spell Attack: 19 to hit BB, range 120 feet
Hit: 23 fire damage

OOC - Note for Sindar and Davroar, any of the foes who fail their save do not get reactions and and cannot take Opportunity Attacks if you choose to move away.)
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 18/06/23 19:44 UTC
DM

Zhu's Slow spell is rather effective, as all four riders and two of the horses seem to begin moving in slow motion.

BS-S3 mount Wis save DC15
AquaDyne rolled 1d20 and got 8
BW mount Wis save DC15
BW Wis save DC15
BS-S5 Wis save DC15
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+1 and got 13
BS-S3 Wis save DC15
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+1 and got 13
BS-S1 Wis save DC15
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+1 and got 6

Her Fire Bolt accurately hits the northern group leader, but bounces off his splint armor, doing no damage (AC 19).
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 18/06/23 20:39 UTC
Zindra
The spellcaster all alone seemed like the most dangerous foe. While the others engaged in hand-to-hand combat, she stuck to her bow and after marking the priest, fired.

Move Hunter's Mark (bonus)
Zindra Longbow to hit, dam, Hunter's Mark vs BP
Neptune rolled 1d20+8,1d8+3,1d6 and got 10, 9, 1
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 19/06/23 00:08 UTC
DM

Zindra's intuition is good. Spellcasters are indeed dangerous and even a minor hit would break the cleric's concentration on the Silence spell, giving Sindar and Davroar more defensive options. Alas, her targeting is not as good as her intuition and the shot misses.

Off to the west side of the battlefield, three dismounted archers remain, and have a singular purpose: eliminating Arus's mount to keep the powerful Triton from joining into the melee on the other side. (OOC: you didn't specify that your mount was using Dodge action but since you didn't use it for Dash or Disengage I'm assuming it.)

BS-N1 Shortbow Attack @ Arus mount @disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 16, 13, 7 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 22, 14, 5 (hit)

BS-N2 Shortbow Attack @ Arus mount @disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 9, 22, 8 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 19, 15, 7 (hit)

BS-N3 Shortbow Attack @ Arus mount @disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 13, 8, 4 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 9, 14, 7 (miss)

The celstial steed is injured, but still stands strong under Arus.

The Bandit scouts are also aware of the danger of spellcasters and the ones who have ridden east continue to focus their attention on Sindar and Davroar, while keeping their distance from Zhu. They ride (move 60+dash) toward the northeast, remaining in range of their squishy targets, letting loose with ranged attacks. Seeing two allies in melee with Sindar and one with a Giant Crab, they reverse that ratio for their targeting, with two archers targeting Davroar and one Sindar.

BS-N4 Shortbow Attack @ Sindar, at disadvantage
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 13, 6, 6 (miss)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 14, 16, 5 (hit)

BS-N5 Shortbow Attack @ Giant Crab
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 18, 5 (hit)
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 5, 3 (miss)

BS-N6 Shortbow Attack @ Giant Crab
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 20, 8 (hit)
BS-N6 Shortbow Attack @ Davroar
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 15, 4 (hit)

Sindar's full effort into dodging keeps at least one arrow from hitting him, but doesn't stop another one which hits him for 5 damage.

Two of the first three arrows shot at the giant crab hit, ending Davroar's wild shape just in time for the last arrow to strike him directly.

Three scouts remain alive of the original six who entered melee combat. While their speed is slowed, they are still effective at the single melee attack. Mounted, they have advantage over medium creatures which works for the one targeting Davroar, but Sindar's dodging cancels out the advantage for the pair attacking him.

BS-S1 Shortsword vs. Sindar
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 21, 3 (hit?)

(OOC: Per discussion you can nullify that 3 dam with cutting words but you need to roll an 8 on your 1d8!)
(OOC: 36 dam so far on Sindar, I think 43 is his base?)

BS-S3 Shortsword vs. Davroar
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 14, 10, 5 (miss)

BS-S5 Shortsword vs. Sindar
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+4,1d6+2 and got 6, 4 (miss)

One of the attackers looks like he might have nicked the bard, but it's not obvious as the bards rude gestures might have a slim chance of being a successful distraction.

Davroar looks harder to hit than the crab was.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 19/06/23 03:42 UTC
Glork

Glork is realing after the attacks from BW. He's in pain. Blood pouring out from his wounds. But he is undeterred. Raising his great club on the human vermin who slashed and stabbed him Glork brings his great club crashing down on BW:

Glork Attack 1
Miales rolled d20+7,d8+12 and got 22, 16

Horses are meat... Glork likes meat...

The second attack is against the horse to the east of Dav and Sindar. Glork want S5 but he needs space. Depending on the result of him hitting that first horse he starts cutting a path to S5. (So next target is the horse to NW)

Glork Attack 2
Miales rolled d20+7,d8+12 and got 12, 16

Glork Bonus Attack
Miales rolled d20+7,d8+12 and got 8, 20
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 19/06/23 14:16 UTC
DM

Glork's first blow effectively eliminates the barbarian, who may have survived without Zhu's helpful slow spell nullifying his parry reaction. Go team.

The ogre also removes the horse keeping Sindar and Davroar from escaping. Their eastward view suddenly becomes more promising, with horseflesh replaced by sweaty, bloody ogreflesh. It's likely these two have never been so happy to see an ogre, and one day the bard will pen an epic song about it.
Posted By: nem Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 19/06/23 20:13 UTC
Arus

No spell should keep a man chanting for a full ten minutes like the Find Steed spell. But as much as the paladin hates casting it, he does relish having a mount with special qualities.

So Arus decides to demonstrate one of these special qualities for the bandits. Telepathically he commands the warhorse to charge.

[Arus's mount moves 60 feet and attacks BS-N1, hitting with 17 total and inflicting 12 damage, triggering Trampling Hooves.
If BS-N1 fails a DC 14 Str save, he is knocked prone and Arus's mount attacks again with advantage, hitting on 23 but only doing 6 damage]

He thunders across the open range on his mount, ramming into the nearest bandit before leaping from the saddle and plunging with his sword.

[Critical hit on first attack, hit on 16 on second? Either 19 or 30 damage.]
Sindar

[OOC: Cutting Words as a reaction.... TAKE THAT!
Sindar Cutting Words
Pandemonium rolled 1d8 and got 8]
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 19/06/23 21:39 UTC
DM

The targeted scout is indeed unprepared for the celestial steed's direct hit, the hooves knocking him over.

BS-N1 DC 14 Str save
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+1 and got 7

And he doesn't even get a chance to get up before Arus deals the death blow.
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 20/06/23 02:44 UTC
Davroar

Painful gasp escapes his lungs as the bandit does more damage to him as he looses his crab wild shape.

Now that there is more room now since the riderless horses have moved somewhat, he will transform into a grizzly bear and attempts to strike with his claws the same bandit that attacked him.

Davroar Claw attack as brown bear
Dugan rolled 1d20+5,2d5+4 and got 10, 13
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 20/06/23 02:53 UTC
DM

While he has the opportunity to flee, Davroar's repeated attempt to strike at attackers to keep attention off Sindar is welcome.

Unfortunately, the mounted attacker manages to dodge the bear claws.
Sindar

Seeing his opportunity, he steps away from his fight and moves 30 feet away from the knot of combatants.

He concentrates on the one who threw silence on him and tries to reciprocate. He said a few words in Ancient Elvish and called forth the man's deepest nightmares.

[OOC: Well, the measurement tool says I am 120 from BP, the fool that cast the silence spell in the first place. Since Sindar knows where he is, time to let him meet my little friend.
Phantasmal Killer on BP Wisdom DC 15 Damage 22, Since I don't know he is a priest, this makes sense, even though tactically not the best choice.
Sindar Phantasmal Killer Damage
Pandemonium rolled 4d10 and got 22
You tap into the nightmares of a creature you can see within range and create an illusory manifestation of its deepest fears, visible only to that creature.
The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target becomes frightened for the duration. At the end of each of the target’s turns before the spell ends, the target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 4d10 psychic damage. On a successful save, the spell ends.]
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 02:16 UTC
DM

The cleric who has been maintaining the Silence spell is suddenly frightened of the battle!

BP Wisdom save DC15
AquaDyne rolled 1d20+3 and got 6

Not only is he frightened, but the 22 damage exactly matches his 22 hit points, and he is, literally, scared to death.

All the combatants in the close-in melee (at this point Glork and Davroar) can suddenly hear again -- and be heard.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 02:20 UTC
Glork

On the east side of the battlefield the combatants are serenaded by the blood curdling roars of a wounded Ogre. With bad breath... very very stinky breath.... I mean savings throw worthy breath...
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 02:49 UTC
DM

How quickly the tide of a battle can change.

Only fraction of a minute ago, the party was outnumbered, two of their magic-wielders effectively neutralized, and some powerful melee combatants bearing down on their warriors.

But now, the mages are freed, the Bandits' own mage has collapsed, unconscious, their second-best melee fighter is dead at the hands of an ogre (but at a price made clear by Glork's cries) and their strongest melee fighter has yet to land a blow. Half of the attacking archers are dead.

One would think all that was left was to kill or run off the remaining attackers.

But one would be wrong.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]The bright noon sun is suddenly dimmed. Those looking up see an enormous avian creature flying over their heads, blocking out the sun. Its wingspan is about 200 feet. And it's flying only about 100 feet above the party at an impressive speed (OOC: fly speed 120+Dash)

But the party's view of the bird, and for much of the party, of each other, is abruptly blocked. A cloud suddenly obscures visibility over much of the party and their opponents.

Fog Cloud (as 6th level)

You create a 20-foot-radius sphere of fog centered on a point within range. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for the duration or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the radius of the fog increases by 20 feet for each slot level above 1st.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

OOC: Initiative order is now mostly irrelevant. Everyone feel free to take one turn's worth of actions if you like, or just RP a reaction. Those inside the white circle are effectively blinded. Those outside can't see anyone inside it.

A heavily obscured area doesn’t blind you, but you are effectively blinded when you try to see something obscured by it. A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition when trying to see something in that area.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 03:57 UTC
Glork

Glork Smashes the nearest thing to him between him and the thing he wanted to kill.. S5

Glork Foggy attack 1
Miales rolled d20+7,d20+7,d8+12 and got 15, 19, 15

So first at the horse was 15

Glork Foggy attack 2
Miales rolled d20+7,d20+7,d8+12 and got 15, 10, 17

Second a 10

Might be a horse... hope it is a horse. Lord help me if it is Dav.

OOC: He's an Ogre... 5 intelligence... and hurt... in a rage... he is just smashing... whatever it is... even if it is his toe.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 08:30 UTC
Jaliera

What the...?

Firstly she had seen the large 'bird', wondering what new threat this posed. Now she can't see anything! Not at all what she expected.

Trying to stay hidden (and quiet).. not exactly difficult in this fog.. she remains crouched low and continues to move back, away from her cmpanions, testing how widespread this mist is.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 12:14 UTC
<Bern>

He looks around for something to shoot ...

[[ not sure if he can see any of the bad guys or not ]]
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 14:55 UTC
Originally Posted by MikeD
<Bern>

He looks around for something to shoot ...

[[ not sure if he can see any of the bad guys or not ]]
Bern can see and is in range of the two surviving scouts in the northwest area. Between him and Arus they're probably easily dispatched, although it looks like they're turning tail and running away...
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 15:47 UTC
<Bern>

He has no interest in killing someone that is trying to leave the fight. He will keep an eye on them and their progress while he continues to look for those that are not as smart and want to die.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 16:00 UTC
Zhu

She knows a bit about magic and effects and her eyebrow arches as the huge cloud of fog descends on the battlefield. She sees the gigantic birdlike creature fly over and debates whether to strike at it or not. She suspects that the bird is not the source of the spell, rather a rider of some sort seems more likely, but still the cloud is not a direct attack on anyone. In fact it could even be an attempt to stop the fighting by making it hard for everyone to see. She also has some doubt that the group can handle the bird and a potential rider who has the ability to cast magic of such high level so she holds off attacking anything for the moment, allowing the foes to flee. In the meantime she moves to see if she can round up one of the loose mounts before it runs too far away.
Sindar

The half-elf looks at his clothing which he can just barely see, and shakes his head. They are a bloody mess, literally. He begins to play his lute, singing a soft song that he intends to allow his allies within 30 feet to benefit from a Song of Rest.

(Verse 1)
In a world so fast, where time won't wait,
We search for a haven, a tranquil state,
A melody of solace, where worries subside,
A symphony of peace where we can reside.

(Chorus)
Rest and relaxation, our sanctuary's embrace,
Unwind your weary soul, find serenity's grace,
Let the rhythm carry you to a tranquil shore,
Where worries drift away forevermore.

(Verse 2)
Beneath the silver moon, in the starry night,
We'll find a hammock, swaying in delight,
A gentle breeze whispers sweet lullabies,
As we close our eyes, the world gently dies.

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
Leave behind the chaos, embrace the still,
Let your heart surrender, release the thrill,
In this melody of peace, find your true worth,
The symphony of rest, the rebirth.

(Chorus)

(Outro)
In the sanctuary of rest, where dreams unfurl,
The world fades away, and we find our pearl,
So close your eyes, and let the music play,
In this song of tranquility, we'll forever sway.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 18:00 UTC
DM

The bandit leader (BB) calls out a retreat order heard by all. Those near the edge of the fog (BS-N4, -N5, and -N6) know approximately what direction to travel, wheeling their mounts northward. The three surviving in the melee area (BS-S1, -S3, and -S5) ride roughly in the direction of their leader's voice.

The pair of scouts outside the fog (BS-N2 and -N3) turn northward on-foot, dodging as they travel just in case they are attacked.

Some of the horses in the melee, particularly the ones next to the fleeing bandits, follow along, which happens to provide two mounts which are eventually called by the on-foot scouts.

At least two mounts remain wandering around in the fog, the horses formerly ridden by BP and BW. Assuming Glork doesn't keep killing horses in his anger.

When it's clear most bandits have left the area of battle, the fog lifts as whoever cast it ends their concentration on the spell.

Several hundred feet east of the party, the gargantuan bird can now be seen on the ground, having landed. A giant (literally) figure dismounts from the creature's back. She is tall -- about 24 feet -- with bluish skin and silvery-white hair, dressed in fine white robes and ornamented heavily with gold jewelry.

She is unarmed; in one of her hands are several large masks, very similar to the one Glork has claimed. The other hand holds a mask up to her face, although it's a bit too far away to make out the expression on it.

She does not immediately approach, giving the party time to organize itself, and perhaps tend to wounds.
Posted By: nem Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 18:04 UTC
Arus

He won't run around the open plains after a couple of routed bandits when there's a gargantuan bird of prey overhead casting mighty magics.

Instead Arus retrieves his trident, sheathes his sword and makes ready to hurl the iconic weapon of the tritons once more.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 18:26 UTC
Kriv

Words of power fade unspoken on the Dragonborn’s tongue as the fog clears, the cause of the bandits escape making herself known. A giant, thus potentially one of the forces arrayed against them. Yet…

His thoughts turned to a discussion he had had back in Waterdeep, pertaining to certain giants and their actions towards his affiliates. What kind of giants had mastery over Clouds?

“Let’s hope we’ve found a giant willing to parlay instead of fighting. Had she come in with the intent to destroy us, I suspect she would have had some success. She did not.”

Going on a hunch, the Dragonborn noble made a show of laying down his arms and heading towards the holder of masks empty-handed. (Given his bond could recall them with a thought it was less of a true gamble than it appeared, but that appearance was key.)

“Hail and well met! I hight Kriv Norixius of Norixius Keep. Are you familiar with the name ‘Blagothkus’?” The scholar called out by way of attempted communication.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 19:21 UTC
Vordana Jezrel

The halfling is relieved combat is over. While she can fight well enough when she has to, her preference is to avoid combat. She calls for Tod, her mule, and waits for him to arrive, mounting him to travel eastward to join the rest of the party. Flycatcher returns from her relative safety to perch on her shoulder.

Flycatcher wonders what kind of large fluffy creatures that bird could hunt and if it would drop them on Glork with as much accuracy as she did!
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 21/06/23 21:59 UTC
Glork

His rage disapates with the fog. The pain of his wounds filtering in. He rorars at the fleeing Bandits in victory, challenge and in pain. Lookign around he finds it... His shiny. rushing over to retrieve his prize. He starts growling again then looks for his friend, Zindra.

"Zin Ra. Safe?"
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 22/06/23 04:33 UTC
Davroar

At first he was going to run down the one bandit closest to him just by scent alone since he has one of the best noses around being a bear, but then the fog lifts almost as quickly as it appeared to reveal that the bandits are in full retreat.

With the fight over, he lies down just aside from the road and returns to his human form with significant pain from several wounds. Ignoring Glorks obvious wounds for the moment, Davroar will just take a moment for himself to assess his own wounds.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 22/06/23 12:03 UTC
Zhu

Having run down one of the loose horses she mounts it and rides over to where her previous mount lies. Dismounting she gently closes its eyes and offers a prayer for its spirit to wander the endless grasslands. It was a good and loyal mount and deserved to end its life in a better way.

She takes all of her equipment off the dead horse and transfers it to the new one, then slowly rides closer to where Kriv is engaged with the newcomer.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 22/06/23 12:27 UTC
Jaliera

She looks around as the fog clears, noting the huge bird and its giant rider but there does not seem an obvious threat any more.

Davroar is down!

She rushes over to him.

"Anyone else in need of healing? I have potions. Glork! Sindar!"

She kneels beside Davroar, concern on her face, scrabbling in her backpack for one of those healing potions.

"Are you OK?"

She says softly, knowing he isn't, and concerned in case the giant becomes a threat.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 22/06/23 12:46 UTC
<Bern>

He was trying to see the best target for his next volley when there suddenly are no targets left. But apparently that was more because of the new arrival than their fear of their group. And apparently the new arrival was the owner for Glork's new toys. He puts up his bow and begins moving towards the new arrival for greetings and introductions.
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 22/06/23 21:01 UTC
Zindra

"Yeah. I'm fine Glork. Thanks for asking. What about you? And who else needs some healing?" she called out, offering.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 22/06/23 21:18 UTC
Glork

"Glork fine. Got shiny." He stupidly looks around and finally sees the giantess.

"She got shiny too. Not my shiny "
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 23/06/23 01:47 UTC
Fænra

The giantess steps forward toward Kriv as he lays down his weapons in a show of peace. She swaps out whatever mask she had with a new one, which others can see as she comes closer. It displays a prominent raised brow and is slightly tilted on the head, as if displaying curiosity.

"Well met, Kriv Norixius of Norixius Keep," she replies to the dragonborn. "And to your companions. You may address me as Faenra if you wish."

She turns slightly, looking (through the mask) directly at Glork. She addresses him in the Jotun language.
"Why do you travel and fight with the small folk?" she asks.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 23/06/23 02:01 UTC
Glork

GLork looked at her... at her shinys then said in jotun.
"They nice to Glork. Zinra my frien. She help me when Giant attack home with firestone. Leave me to die. To starve, Zinra feed me. help me. I fight for them for this."
Sindar

He continues his Song of Rest and waves showing his bloody clothing and the lacerations that cover his entire body. There are even feathers sticking out of one of them, which would imply the bump in his tunic, was likely the arrowhead that went all the way through his half-elven body.
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 23/06/23 04:28 UTC
Davroar

He slowly gets up into a sitting position with a bit of a grimace and says to Jaliera, "Yep, I'm still here. Just wanted to make sure nothing falls out of me first."

Touching himself, he casts cure wounds to stop the bleeding on his worst injury. With a helping hand from Jaliera, he gets up to his feet and finally spots the giant woman talking with Kriv. "Wow! She's huge."

Turning his attention back to Jaliera, he says, "Save the potions, I can still cast some healing spells. Are you ok too?"

Davroar Cure Wounds (Level 2)
Dugan rolled 2d8+7 and got 14
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 23/06/23 11:18 UTC
Jaliera

She grins, relieved to see him get up.

"You know me, I stay out of trouble, most of the time anyway."

She recalls Whisper, keeping half an eye on the big bird.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 23/06/23 14:51 UTC
Fænra

The giantess nods toward Glork and slowly looks at the rest of the party. The movement of Whisper as she returns to Jaliera catches Faenra's attention, and the curious mask looks toward her, formally intoning, "Greetings, young bird maven."

She surveys the rest of the field, those injured and those working to heal them, and finally returns her attention to Glork, this time speaking in common. Her curious mask is exchanged in a flourish with a frowning mask. "It saddens me that my mask was used to cause harm. Might I offer you some reward for returning it to me? I am... unable to be happy."
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 23/06/23 14:58 UTC
Glork

"Dis your shiny? But Glork find shiny. You take?" Glork didn't know what to think of that. He found the treasure. Claimed it. But he knew she, a giant, could claim it from him.

"Reward?"
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 24/06/23 19:33 UTC
Kriv

That Fænra's focus was on Glork made sense, but the private phrases in Giant that passed between them were cause for concern, as was the switch in language to address the missing mask so that all might hear it. What was said in Giant was not intended for the ears of those unfamiliar with the language, and whilst Kriv could read the dwarven script in which Giants wrote their tongue, they were not mutually comprehensible. The fact was the giant and her mount posed a serious threat to the party, and openly querying the giantkin amongst them had few positive implications.

"I would take a reward given on purpose over a shiny thing dropped by accident, Glork. That shiny thing doesn't have much use to you, but allows her to convey emotion, apparently. But a reward? That could be anything! It could even be a shiny mask! Take the offer, maybe get more and shinier things."
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 24/06/23 20:10 UTC
<Bern>

Things had suddenly gotten much more ... complicated. He listened and tried to make sense of the new information in connection with what they had already found. He did try to not chuckle as Kriv tried to 'talk' to Glork about the changing circumstances. But he didn't want to 'disrupt' the discussions, so he listened.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 04:47 UTC
Fænra

As the ogre doesn't appear to understand what a reward is, the giantess tries a different tactic. "I want to trade for that mask," she says in simple terms. "What would you like for it?"

To the rest of the group, she turns slightly, and gives a more complicated explanation, swapping out the sad mask for one with a pair of hands on cheeks around an O-shaped mouth, signifying embarrassment. "I would tell you it was stolen from me, but in fact I lost it in a wager."
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 09:15 UTC
Glork

"It your shiny den. I just wan be safe. I help dem but day Fite to much. Somewhere safe."
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 14:15 UTC
(OOC - So I presume the mask Glork has shows a happy face then?)
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 14:39 UTC
(OOC - So I presume the mask Glork has shows a happy face then?)
OOC: You win a gold star. smile
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 15:55 UTC
Fænra

Faenra steps up to Glork, towering over him, and speaks calmly in Jotun. She carefully manipulates her hand containing the half-dozen masks to hide her face with a wide-eyed hopeful-looking masked expression, reaching her now-empty other hand out to the ogre for him to place his mask in.

"I know a place in the Evermoors among the Fog Giants where you will not have to fight. I will take you there."

If Glork gives her the mask, she will immediately switch to use it to convey her happiness, addressing the rest of the party in common.

"Thank you for helping giant kin. As his duty to you has been served, he wishes to go elsewhere. As thanks to you, I may offer you coin, or another boon you wish for your troubles?"
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 16:00 UTC
Glork

In Jotun

"Yes."

Glork starts to hand the mask to the giantess. But stops and says to Zindra. "You always be frien Zin rah."

He looks at the rest of the companions and smiles stupidly then hands the giantess her mask.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 16:22 UTC
Zhu

"We have little need for coin. What other boon were you considering?"
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 16:39 UTC
Fænra

"It is yours to ask," the giantess replies to Zhu with a nod. "This one," with a nod towards Glork "wants to be away from fighting, but I perceive you choose to fight to protect other small folk. What would help you with that goal, or any other you have?"

Faenra also turns to Kriv. "I have not forgotten your question. I am familiar with the name you gave me."
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 16:51 UTC
Zhu

"May we discuss amongst ourselves for a moment?" Presuming no negative response she moves towards the others and asks, "Well, something tangible or intangible? Information or a promise of future assistance could be very helpful, but so could a Ring of Wishes" She grins wryly.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 17:03 UTC
Fænra

As the rest of the party discusses what to ask for, the giantess gestures for Glork to follow her, moving toward the giant Roc and introducing the bird to his soon-to-be temporary passenger.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 17:09 UTC
Glork

Follows. Then looks back briefly before coming up beside the giantess.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 17:12 UTC
Vordana

The halfling has her own idea on what to ask. That bird would barely notice her and Flycatcher's weight amongst its other two passengers, and she could get to an inn somewhere! But alas, she was not involved in the 'giant kin' rescue so it's not her choice to make, so she keeps quiet, listening to the others discuss.
Sindar

The bloody bard stops singing for a moment and considers, "There are many tales and other pieces of information that would aid us in our goals. As you know, I live by the trade of information, albeit in song usually. We could also ask for a favor later, but how would we get in touch to ask for the favor when we need it? And what kind of a turn around on that favor would it take? It is hard to know what kinds of things to ask, as we don't know how valuable the boon might potentially be."
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 25/06/23 19:52 UTC
<Bern>

He listens to the conversation, but his attention is directed outward, looking for new threats. They often seem to show up when people are busy 'discussing things'.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 02:45 UTC
Flycatcher

The tiny feline-avian does seem keenly interested in the Gargantuan avian.

From a distance, of course, safely perched on Vordana's shoulder, with the entire party between her and the huge creature.
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 07:25 UTC
Davroar

Talking quietly with the group he says, "We don't know this giant at all. Do you think we should ask just how helpful her word or future boons will be?"

Davroar wonders how they could ask Faenra such questions without being disrespectful. If she is just a simply citizen of her kind compared to a giant with a rank or title could make a difference in what type of reward to ask for.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 08:08 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn noble asserted,

"We have a rare opportunity here to hear from a Giant source what exactly is going on, why all the types are mobilizing, who is behind it and so on. We are in need of this information, far more than a nebulous boon or material wealth. As for knowing this giant, she could have easily assaulted us to reclaim her possession, but instead chose to be civil, both in quelling the ongoing conflict and negotiating for the mask's return. She has acted in a manner worthy of respect, and thus I will take her word with the same sincerity as I would expect my own to be taken."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 11:08 UTC
Jaliera

She smiles as the giant speaks to her. She has no idea what a 'maven' is but the giant doesn't seem to be insulting her.

"Information is always valuable. I agree."
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 11:58 UTC
<Bern>

"We might start with something 'simple' to get things going ... like 'what brings you out this way'", he offered.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 12:12 UTC
Zhu

"From what I know of Cloud Giants, and this one's behaviour so far, it is quite likely she is one who leans towards Good versus Evil, and so I think we can trust her, to a certain extent. It would be good to know how far her offer goes, if it is knowledge we seek. An extended conversation or a short list of questions."
Sindar

That seemed prudent to the young bard, and he nodded in agreement, a bit of dried blood flicking off of his tunic.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 15:48 UTC
Vordana

"You might want to ask about that stone you pulled out of the sword," the halfling suggests helpfully.
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 16:00 UTC
Zindra
"Friends forever Glork!" she says. But she doesn't stop there. She walks up to the big ogre and wraps her arms around the big fellow.

ooc: Cloud or Fog giant? Assumptions being made?
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 16:37 UTC
(OOC - While both types of Giants cast Fog Cloud, Cloud Giants ride Rocs and are air based whereas Fog Giants are ground based. Plus Fog Giants have a very distinctive appearance. All evidence at the moment points to Cloud Giant.)
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 16:45 UTC
OOC: An Intelligence (History) check might resolve any doubt a PC might have. smile
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 16:54 UTC
(OOC - Am basing the deduction on Zhu's link to the Feywild and its closeness to non-human beings, including Giants. But she, and others, can certainly roll too.....

History (Int)
Zhuirentel Elendaril
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 26/06/23 17:10 UTC
DM

Without even thinking hard, Zhu would easily recall that Fog Giants were much more reclusive and rarely seen and take on a more misty appearance. The blue or grey skin is almost certainly that of Cloud Giants. So also is their occasional interaction with the small folk, particularly in trade, often changing the weather in exchange for coin or goods. With a little bit of focus remembering some historical lore, she would recall that
the display of wealth and opulence, the use of masks to hide one's face and convey emotions, and the predilection to gambling, is associated with the nobility amongst that race.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 27/06/23 09:25 UTC
Jaliera

It seems they have come to a decision. Probably Kriv is the best one to at least start the discussion off, so she looks to him to take the lead. Meanwhile she does not hug the ogre but she does walk closer to him.

"Glork, I understand your decision. Thanks for all your help. Maybe we'll meet again someday? Meanwhile I hope you have a conflict free life with plenty of food."
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 27/06/23 10:56 UTC
Glork

OOC: Ok can't help it...

Glork surprised by the hug from his friend smiles and put his oversized paw on her back returning the hug.

"Glork go be safe now. Stay safe Zin rah."

At Jaliera's approach.

"Food?" He smiles. "Yes safe an food."

He smiles content ready for whatever Faendra does next.

OOC: You have no idea how many times I just wanted to type "OGRE SMASH!!!" with the guy and leave it at that...
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 27/06/23 15:52 UTC
The Roc

(OOC: Not The Rock).

The gargantuan bird bows its head when it's introduced to the ogre, an amazing sight to see such a majestic creature allowing an ogre to touch it without complaint. Unlike the tiny tressym who tried to claw at the ogre earlier. Small bird syndrome, probably.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 28/06/23 10:43 UTC
Small bird syndrome lol
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 28/06/23 17:40 UTC
Fænra

After ensuring her mount is familiar with its upcoming passenger and watching the ogre bid farewell to some of his party members, the giantess steps back toward the remainder of the group, looking back and forth between Kriv, who had initially approached her, and Zhu, who had asked for time to discuss. Her happy mask is swapped out for the curiosity mask, as she looks between them to see if they've decided on any requests.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 02/07/23 02:21 UTC
Kriv

Some traits were common to nobility across many species, and it seemed Kriv was in a similar position of privilege to Fænra in that regard. Thus the noble scion of Norixius Keep was the one to step forth.

“We seek information and knowledge, esteemed Fænra. As much as you would deem equitable. Giantkin have been exceedingly active in these regions of late, digging up buried items of adamantine, dismantling ruins, Glork found himself overwhelmed by fire giants, settlements and caravans of the smaller peoples have come under attack. Are you aware of what is going on with all that and why?”
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 02/07/23 02:42 UTC
Fænra

There is a nod from the giantess, and a smooth transition between curious and sad masks occurs.

"There is much more going on than you could possibly understand," she says. "But I will offer what I think is most important for you to know. This is not about you. This is a matter between giants. The attacks you see are collateral damage from a battle you are not fighting, and yet is being fought around you."

She looks around the party, then returns her masked face toward Kriv. "You gave me a name earlier, so you must be familiar with giants who ally with smallfolk in battles far beyond their own. Such has been done, such is being done, and such will be done in the future. Should you or your friends choose to ally, you would be wise to choose the winning side."

"As for the actions of giant races," she concludes, "each is pursuing their own goals, and while the details are uncertain, I will give you my own thoughts, that we are all pursuing power from the ancients. Either favor from our deities, or powerful relics from our history, or providing power to one of our own."
Sindar

Now that was interesting. A war between giants for ancient powers. They needed to know more about that war, who the players were, and where the fallout might occur. Because the trick with picking a winning side is to know which is the strongest. Certainly, this is a more reasonable and stronger giant than the ones they fought saving the town. But was she the right side? Probably better than some. He said nothing but continued to watch and listen.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 02/07/23 07:28 UTC
Jaliera

How to say a lot and say little.

Jaliera likes her answers a lot more direct than this. And it boils down to inter-squabbling between giants and power grabs. Not half as interesting as she had hoped.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 02/07/23 11:45 UTC
<Bern>

He listened to their latest 'guest' as she gave them some insight into what was 'going on'. He acknowledged her sharing with a serious nod.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 02/07/23 12:32 UTC
Kriv

"I see." Commented the Dragonborn noncommittally. It was useful to be aware of the capabilities a given negotiating partner believed you to have, even if wildly inaccurate. He tried to press the main issue further,

"Who, exactly, are the main belligerent factions, and what is the point of contention or conflict deemed worthy of going to war over?"
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 02/07/23 13:09 UTC
Glork

The party forgotten is petting the birdy.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 02/07/23 13:34 UTC
Zhu

She listens intently as this is critical information. She adds one question of her own, "Are each of the Giant Races united in the side they are on, or are their different factions even among each Race?"
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 02/07/23 15:40 UTC
Fænra

The giantess looks between Kriv and Zhu as they ask more detailed questions. "It is complex," she answers Zhu. Turning back to Kriv, she continues, "It is best answered by example. How do nobles rule in your part of the realm? Do you have a singular monarch or council? Are there different levels of authority among the nobles? How is that determined? Answer this, and I will explain more."
Posted By: nem Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 03/07/23 18:10 UTC
Arus

The triton follows the conversation closely as he heals his horse's flesh wounds.

Arus speaks Giantish fluently. There are many powerful storm giant holdings in the ocean and scrag raiders are a perennial threat to undersea communities in shallower waters.

But so far the talks have been productive and he feels no need to interupt. This could be crucial information to their quest... and the task assigned to him by the Protectorate.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 05/07/23 04:01 UTC
OOC: In my perpetual rotation of former NPC's I might be taking up Vordana. FUlly Expecting Aqua to slap me down

Vordana

What of those odd stones you found Triton? She might know of why the lightning stone was in that sword or the firestone was left near that ogre pet of yours.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 06/07/23 23:15 UTC
Kriv

Not for nothing was Kriv a scholar and historian, an educated member of the elite. Nor was he one to give up on getting as clear and detailed an answer to his own question, for all the intended demonstrative difficulty of the one Fænra posed in turn. Methodically, polity by polity for the regions in which he had lived and travelled, starting with overarching multi-location organisations such as the Lord’s Alliance and going down to the townships they had passed through, Kriv gave a concise but thorough answer to Fænra’s queries, mindful to avoid giving away anything that might be too sensitive to tell to a potential opponent with ill intent.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 07/07/23 02:47 UTC
Fænra

The giantess nods to Kriv's explanation, and then begins her own.

"Your nobility has allied against a common enemy, and so has Giantkind," she begins. "Your alliance has existed for less than two centuries, ours for millenia. You defend against the criminal elements and savage beasts. Our ancient enemies have been, and continue to be, dragonkind."

"You have displayed great knowledge of your recent history, but the time of smallfolk on these lands, while nearly fifteen hundred years, pales in comparison to our own history," she continues. She pauses, the sad faced mask coming up as she recalls her history. "Our nation of Ostoria, founded by the sons of Annam All-Father, existed on these lands for nearly thirty thousand years. Our ancestors were powerful, and possessed powerful magic. We used it to fight against dragonkind, with one war lasting a thousand years. Sadly, we were driven out of these lands by the Great Glacier, and our nation, and the giant races, scattered."

While all in the party may not know the name of Ostoria, those who speak Jotun (Giant)
would recognize the word meaning "father's seat".

During most of this exposition, Faenra has been glancing around to the others gathered, but turns her attention diretly to Kriv as she continues.

"Now consider your alliance. Imagine each of you had your best weapons in storehouses in your cities, but disaster came and displaced you from your lands. Your alliance held strong, passed down to your children, recreating a new life. Strangers moved into the ruins of your old, abandoned cities. Some among you wanted to return, but your leaders held you back. You had no cities to protect any more, you didn't need them," Faenra narrates.

"But your ancient enemy is returning," Faenra adds, a mask denoting fear appearing in front of her face. "And yet another generation has assumed leadership and is no longer holding you back. Your own descendants know of the threat, and they know where there is power stored to defend against it. Would they not be in their rights to return to their cities, to recover their property from generations past? Would the presence of newcomers only in these cities for a mere decade or two take away their right of centuries? You may not mean to harm them when recovering your weapons, but it is inevitable," she concludes, the sad mask returning. "And necessary."

"You spoke of Blagothkus so you are aware of the threats, and the need to recover our power. Like you, we do not intend to harm when reclaiming what is ours. Those who get out of the way are spared as much as we can. As much as you would. Those who organize resistance against you -- or us -- are as good as allying with the enemy."

After concluding the background, she nods again toward Kriv. "As for your questions, the belligerent factions are dragonkind and those who help them. Giantkind is not at war with itself, it is seeking its ancient greatness, each of the giant races, the descendants of the sons of Annam All-father, much like your dispersed council of lords, choosing different means to do so. As a scholar and a traveler, you are likely more aware of exactly what each is doing than what I have heard in my own travels, but if you seek a common thread, know that it lies in recovering ancient power."

To Zhu, she continues, "Some races are united behind a leader. Some are -- well, there are always politics involved. Not all actions are taken kindly and some leaders have ... ceased to lead. It would not be true to claim complete unity."

Looking around, she asks, "Anything I have not addressed that you wish to know before I depart?"
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 08/07/23 06:44 UTC
Davroar

Listening to Faenra, he begins to see the giants side of the situation they are in. Now he wonders, just how much time that they have before hostilities break out between the giants and dragonkind sympathizers. With that in mind he takes a few steps forward and asks, "Faenra, do you know if fighting between you and dragonkind is coming soon?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 08/07/23 13:31 UTC
Zhu

She listens calmly, considering and wondering how bad it would be for humanoids if Dragons and Giants fought each other? While there are good members of both species, the evil ones have caused massive destruction of humanoid places and people over the centuries. Would it truly be so bad if the wiped each other out?

Of course the humanoid peoples would suffer, if for nothing else than as circumstantial casualties and as targets for both sides if either saw some means of gain by assaulting them. And she is sworn to uphold the peace, in general, so she sighs, and asks, "Surely you are aware of the depredations performed upon the humanoid races by Giantkind, as well as Dragonkind. Your comments explain why the Giants are doing what they're doing, but we do not wish to be accidental, nor intended, casualties in a war between Dragons and Giants. Some of these casualties have already occurred. As Giants have searched for these ancient weapons you mention, innocent men, women, and children have been killed. Do you have a proposal for how to avoid such happening again?"

All-in-all, she believes that it would be a close call as to whether humanoids would suffer more were Dragons to win or were Giants to win.
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 08/07/23 16:30 UTC
Fænra

"Soon?" the giantess answers Davroar. "That means many things to each of us. I can not say the threat is imminent," she replies. "Nor can I say it is a long way off. I do not think most giants expect an attack to come sooner than their preparations."

"I have three such ideas," Faenra replies to Zhu, the mask coming up much the equivalent of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

"First: if you see giants, run away."

A short pause.

"Second: eliminate the dragon threat."

Another short pause.

"Third: figure out how to lead the giants and command them to stop. If you do this, do let me know, as there is some competition." There's a touch of humor in her voice here. "But more seriously, if you encounter giants, you might consider finding their thoughts and supporting those who want to put an end to this. And before you ask, no, I am not anywhere near that level of politics nor would I know where to find them. You might have more luck with giants who spend their time on these lands, not flying over them."
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 08/07/23 20:16 UTC
<Bern>

The talk of 'large folk' fighting just got him thinking of the collateral damage that always seemed to be suffered by his folk when that happened. But he continued to listen since she didn't seem to have any 'agenda'.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 09/07/23 15:37 UTC
Zhu

She frowns, not liking the snarky answer at all.

"I have another idea. Instead of showing complete disdain and contempt for other beings, the Giants can negotiate and offer recompense to those humanoid communities they feel a need to disrupt and destroy private property while searching for their things. I expect evil Dragons to believe themselves to be entitled brutes. If Giants strive to believe that they are better than Dragons, or believe others should side with them, then they should show why."
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 09/07/23 17:03 UTC
Fænra

A stern/angry mask comes up as Zhu speaks.

"Recompense you for invading our lands?" the giantess replies. "Small folk are desecrating our sacred burial mounds across this frontier and you are doing nothing about it. Not a good way to start negotiations."

With a shake of the head, she turns to return to her roc, and the ogre awaiting transport. "It appears you are done with questions," she says coolly.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 09/07/23 19:49 UTC
Zhu

“The fact you buried something somewhere thousands of years ago does not give you the right to run roughshod and perpetrate violence over those who live there now unaware of that. Civilized beings talk and explain themselves. They do not trample on innocents.”

She nods. “It seems we have little else to talk about.”
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 09/07/23 19:59 UTC
Fænra

The giantess pauses, turning to reply to Zhu, the sad face mask showing.

"Do not blame me for the actions of others that I am not in a position to control," she replies. "I have tried to answer your questions and give you information to guide your choices, but you appear to think I have something to offer in negotiations. I do not. As I just said, you will likely find more help in your endeavors from those of giantkind who walk these lands. We are not all unified and you may find some who both support your cause and have more specific ideas in how you can help that those of us who only visit do not."

She nods her head slightly, then turns again, hopefully on a more polite note.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 10/07/23 10:29 UTC
Vordana

"It seems that the giants are as varied a species as the elves are. Do we judge the elves of Silverymoon the same as the dark elves of Meznoborenzan?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Mon 10/07/23 11:54 UTC
Zhu

She turns to Vordana. "No. But I do judge anyone who makes comments that they are entitled to harm others." With a glance at the giantess she turns away. "In any case, my apologies to the group. I have let my own feelings of justice interfere."

She steps off and moves back to her mount. If anyone wants to have final words with the Cloud Giant her presence will no longer be helpful.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Tue 11/07/23 09:31 UTC
Jaliera

She gives Zhu a nod of respect.

"I have no problem with what you said."
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 12/07/23 03:10 UTC
Fænra

As no one has rushed forward with any last minute questions, and the tense conversaion is over with only a veneer of politeness, the giantess returns to her roc. She helps Glork mount in front of her, and although it's a tight squeeze, they both manage to fit on the large beast as it takes off and flies northward, leaving the party to organize themselves and get back on the road, without an ogre, but with a halfling tag-along.

OOC: Feel free to chat about the interaction and get back on the road and settle in for the night at your last stop on the road and eventually waking up. As I'm going to be traveling until the end of the month my posting here will be limited, so it'd be great if you can talk amongst yourselves and be ready for the final leg (and whatever challenges it brings) at the end of the month!
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 12/07/23 11:42 UTC
Jaliera

"Well it might be a lack of understanding but my experience of giants has not been a good one so far. It sounds like they are preparing to battle dragons. Should we just let them get on with it?"

She waves to Glork.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 12/07/23 12:45 UTC
Glork

Glork barely catches sight of Jaliera waving. He is so enamored with the bird. But he does. And he waves back with a stupid grin on his face.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 12/07/23 13:11 UTC
<Bern>

He turned to Jaliera. "Actually, I can't help but think that it might be helpful if they decided to go at it. Fewer of both when it's done", he said with a grin.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 12/07/23 15:30 UTC
Zhu

She frowns slightly. "Perhaps, but with the attitude our Giantess just displayed of entitlement and uncaring for those they deem to be 'lesser' races, I suspect that those battles will spill over and affect many innocents. It would be best to stop the war before it starts, but if that is not feasible, while I'd prefer not to choose a side, it could be better if one side or the other won quickly. The question is which one? Evil Dragons are offset by Good Dragons. If the Giants unite around a faction who cares nothing for humanoids, and they win the battle, it could be a worse result. I wonder how strong the anti-war faction among the Giants is?"
Sindar

"As with most interactions, one is left with more questions than answers. Further investigation is needed. Then maybe manipulation so that we end up on the better side of whatever is going to happen." He continued to gather his belongs after the fight and discussion. Mostly though he wandered around bloody. "And I really need to do something to stop all this leakage. I will have to do a song of healing."

With that he gives up gathering and goes back to offering respite for a short rest. It at least would assist any of their wounds a bit more.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Wed 12/07/23 17:51 UTC
<Bern>

He looked at Zhu and shrugged. "So you want to have things continue as they are with giants and dragons wreaking havoc on small folk that have not done anything against them."
Sindar

Looking at the Bern, he asked, "who would you attack? How do you prevent more bloodshed from your current informational standpoint? We know nothing. Without attacking them all, we can't act. Unless you know something I don't? The reason I feel we need to learn more."

He looked at him for a moment long and asked "what do you propose we do?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 13/07/23 02:34 UTC
Zindra

"I actually don't think we have all the information that we need. It's good to have gotten a bit of a history lesson but I get a sense that there's more to what's going on than what we know now. This just gives me the appetite to learn more."

She turns to Zhu, "Do you pay mind to the insects that you squash under your feet? To the small critters that might get trampled by our horses? Perhaps that is all that they consider us? Sindar is right. This just means we have more to investigate."
Posted By: AquaDyne Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 13/07/23 04:32 UTC
Flycatcher

The tressym emerges from almost trying to hide behind Vordana while the giant and giant bird were here. Now that everyone remaining is normal sized, she emerges a bit more confident. She flies off to tour the battlefield and collect some of the spent arrows, something Vordana had trained her to do.

It's not as fun as catching furry creatures, but she expects she'll get a back scratch reward.
Posted By: Dugan Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 13/07/23 05:37 UTC
Davroar

He agrees with Zindra and Sindar too and simply nods his head. Perhaps when they reach Shadowtop Cathedral, Davroar hopes they can get more information about the giants.

For now he ignores his injuries and walks over to the dead bandits that surrounded him and Sindar. Looking over the bodies he will gather any valuables into a small pile then looks around to find where they can drag the bodies off the road, while asking anyone, "We should move the bodies off the road. Help keep the road safe from scavengers."
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 13/07/23 11:48 UTC
Zhu

She offers a sad look to Zindra, but doesn't bother to answer, as it would gain nothing to extend an argument that has no resolution. She simply notes the opinions offered for future reference and moves to gather up the remaining horses looking into their saddlebags to see if anything important might be found. She especially checks the dead mounts of the ones who seemed to be leaders.

Taking the horses leads, she strings them together and ties the lead to her own saddle.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Thu 13/07/23 21:18 UTC
Kriv

"As she said, she was never really in a position of negotiator or interlocutor for her people or related kinds. If she had been, then the prospect of allying and collaborating with the present occupants instead of creating a second enemy in the name of fending off the first would have been a strong angle to go for, and there may yet be those with whom we can suggest such things. For now, a crash course in the Giant tongue would be a worthy way to while the journey."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Fri 14/07/23 10:13 UTC
Jaliera

"Good thought Kriv. Anyone already speak it?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 15/07/23 03:19 UTC
Zindra

"I speak giant," she said.
Posted By: AJ Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 15/07/23 09:10 UTC
Kriv

"Well enough to teach?" Asked the Dragonborn.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 15/07/23 13:02 UTC
Zhu

Her eyebrow rises at Zindra's admission, and she adds to Kriv's question, "Well enough to spy?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sat 15/07/23 20:42 UTC
Zindra
"Sure. I can spy. As for learning, that's more up to the student."

Attached picture Learn Language.jpg
Posted By: nem Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 16/07/23 11:16 UTC
Arus

He smirks at that.

"I too speak Giantish," he says with a pause for thought, "and I dread remember those lessons from school."

Arus nods to Kriv.

"But if thou wouldst learn I can teach. Well, I can try."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 16/07/23 11:20 UTC
Jaliera

"Two of you already.. excellent!"

Two is better than one. Less chance of mistranslation, accidental or otherwise.
Posted By: Miales Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 16/07/23 12:24 UTC
Vordanna

On Flycatcher's return she is rewarded with a deep backscratch. Vordanna collects the arrows and selecting the best brings them to the group.

"Some of the better arrows from the field. Flycatcher is off collecting more but these should be of use. I'm fairly useless when it comes to translating giant."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 16/07/23 13:10 UTC
Jaliera

She takes her arrows with thanks.
Posted By: Zeim Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 16/07/23 14:06 UTC
Zhu

She nods. "I speak it as well. Soon all will. A good thing."

(OOC - Interesting that none of the penalties associated with learning a new language apply when someone in the party is teaching another person. Of course, 10 game weeks could be years of real time.)
Posted By: MikeD Re: 3N - Fantastic Beasts and Where They Find You - Sun 16/07/23 14:08 UTC
<Bern>

He lets those that need arrows go first. If there are any left over, he could use a couple more.
Sindar

"Happy to learn another language," he agrees. Communication was literally his most important tool.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post