DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post

3b - Entering Yartar

Posted By: Neptune

3b - Entering Yartar - Fri 25/09/20 15:52 UTC

DM

As they walked up to the awaiting caravan, Kriv's question about his mother was answered. "She has white hair and keeps it in a bun. She's quite stylish."

Davroar and Kriv ride with the young Lord Artan, alone aside from the driver of the wagon. The water was precisely what was needed to keep him stable. The two both realized that it would take more powerful healing to deal with the ailment which afflicted the pudgy 20-something-year-old. But at least he was alive and not getting worse. After a few minutes travel, Kriv and Davroar began to to wonder if that was a good thing. The man became talkative almost from the moment he sat down on a crate in the back of the wagon. Artar would did stop talking for the entire journey back to Yartar. As much as the young man's yakking was annoying, the two could not help but learn some things about him and the situation Artan was in. The first conclusion that they drew was that the young blonde-hair, blue-eyed lord was spoiled rotten and used to getting his way with things. He clearly hadn’t seen a day of hard labor in his life. It wasn't that he was rude or arrogant, but rather that he was woefully out-of-touch with lesser folk. The way that he talked about his servants, it sounded like he would be completely incapable of taking care of himself. His chatter was self-centric in another way. He was trying to think out loud about what happened to him. It was difficult for him to piece together the events that led him into this situation.

"I had finished up work. Mother was being, well 'mother' and with Martyn and Urzales, (those are my brothers) away on business, well, I remember needing to get out of the house. I just can't remember everything. I was at home, getting dressed to go out. I was heading to ... ? I can't recall! There was something about a goose ... a golden goose..." He scratches his head and then itches some more so he dumped more water on his head and sighed in relief. "I don't think it was a real goose that was made of gold - that wouldn't be the strangest thing I've seen at a party in Yartar. We have some wild parties, I must say! But it wasn't that. No, not a real goose." After another pause he muttered, "There was a woman. Oh yeah, a real pretty one...no, beautiful. There's a difference, you know. Any wench can be pretty, but this one was classy! Black hair - long, black hair. And she wore a magnificent purple dress. I know fashion, and that was some dress! She was amazing! What was her name?" He hit his forehead with the palm of his hand a few times, as if it would help jog his memory, but it didn't. "I don't even remember if she told me her name! How strange is that?" The banter continued all the way to Yartar. It was much of the same and some stories that underscored how spoiled he was, but nothing more substantial. By the way that Artan talked, the druid did get a sense that dealing with Lady Dezhia Rossolio was going to be a different experience.

The final leg of the journey was otherwise generally uneventful. The others moved about as necessary, to keep things safe. Zindra walked ahead, staying close to Bern, who was always more comfortable outdoors. It was difficult to be stealthy heading a caravan of two dozen wagons, but the pair did stay vigilant and kept the wagon train moving at a cautious pace. Jaliera was also vigilant, monitoring the road using Whisper's eyes in the sky. She also kept busy with the hired guards. They had devised a rotation system where half of them rode for an hour and the other half walked. This kept their legs fresh. Arus, Sindar and Zhu ended up talking. Arus had been in Yartar very recently and Sindar seemed to have some knowledge of the town too.

When the city came into view, Arus and Sindar both conveyed what they could about the city. The fortified city of Yartar with a population of about 6000, stands on the east bank of the Dessarin River. On the west bank is a walled citadel under the city’s control. Between them stretches a wide stone bridge. Travelers must move through the citadel and pass inspection before continuing west to Triboar or crossing the bridge to the city’s west gate. The Evermoor Way cuts through the heart of Yartar, connecting the city’s western and eastern gates. East of the city, the trade road becomes a gravel trail. Yartar is prosperous and becoming increasingly crowded. Some of its old buildings have been torn down and taller ones built—four stories high, in some cases. Because the city is a major river port, Yartar’s elected leader is called a Waterbaron. The current Waterbaron is Nestra Ruthiol. Yartar is a roaring trade town frequented by adventurers and maverick merchants. Yartar is always buzzing. Caravans come and go, and goods are shipped from the caravans to freight barges. The fisherfolk of Yartar scour the Three Rivers for catfish, cold-water crabs, eels, silvertail, and shalass. All these can be bought fresh from stalls in Yartar's central market.

The caravan soon reached it's destination, the paddocks on the west bank of the Surbrin river. There the wagons were directed to pre-arranged plots and laborers were waiting, both to register the goods and assist in the unloading. The guards and drivers would all wait here until unloading was complete and goods had transfered hands. There were some items, that required special handling, such as the harness that Othovir had made which Arus was asked to deliver. Everything was very well organized and it was time to decide what to do next and where to go.

OOC: Sorry this took a bit. I added a map of Yartar for your viewing pleasure. You'll find the map here. I'll keep updating it as you continue to explore.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 25/09/20 17:00 UTC

<Bern>

He didn't mind the 'outpost' duty. It kept him closer to the wilderness and further away from the 'rabble'.

He heaved a sigh when their destination came into view. There was no chance of avoiding the 'crush of fools' the were the norm in this sort of place. He did his best to remain civil as they moved to their 'destination' and the caravan was 'dismantled'. But at least the folks here 'knew their business' and things were sorted in sort order.

While he was ready to head back out of the city, he suspected that his friends were looking forward to an inn, some drinks and beds. And ... to be honest ... the thought of a nice drink or three didn't sound all that bad.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 25/09/20 17:27 UTC

Zhu

Riding along she is somewhat relieved that her place at the rear of the caravan keeps her away from the talkative fop. There is only so much of that she can stand.

She talks to Sindar, asking him how things have gone for him since they last parted from each other on the caravan between Neverwinter and Waterdeep.

She also says to Arus, "We have not had much chance to converse, Sir Arus. I know little about Tritons. My cousin, a Sea Elf, has told me some about your people but ever since I came here from the Faewild I am always curious about new peoples I meet."
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 25/09/20 18:18 UTC

OOC: I forgot to mention that yeah, circle back to discussions you might have had on the way. I need to do some admin work to get some of the missions/quests, NPCs, etc. identified and recorded. You have a few days to chat away about the past and a couple of days to figure out where you're going.
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 26/09/20 14:01 UTC

Jaliera

She chats to the guards as they near their destination.

"I presume you are heading back after this? Thanks for all the help, think it worked out OK in the end. Stay safe on the road back and give Urlam my regards. Neat trick with the walking/riding routine. I'll remember that."
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 26/09/20 15:06 UTC

Kriv

The Dragonborn listened, and learned, and trusted to his inscrutable demeanour to obscure his contempt, not that the oblivious creature was making a noticeable effort to look for it. This was ostensibly a fellow noble, a peer, but one blind to the obligations that came with rank and privilege, the responsibility to settle debts with all whose labour had been benefited from. It was almost a parasitic parody of the social contract. Nonetheless, there was much that could be gleaned from what he spoke, and it wasn't as if Kriv's opinions of humans could diminish further.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 26/09/20 15:20 UTC

<Bern>

"Seems like an opportunity to enjoy a beverage and relax", he commented to the group in general. "Anyone interested", he asked.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sun 27/09/20 11:05 UTC

Arus

Arus can be very sociable in the right circumstances---a decent drink and seat at a game table, for example---but he's never garrulous.

He is however always courteous and talking with Zhu allows him to learn more about her kind as well as she about his.

Arus knows sea elves all too well and has met his share of land elves. Eladrin though are a mystery to him.

"My thanks for the consideration, Zhu, but there's no need for 'sir'.

"The Order of the Leviathan is a military order, its history rooted in crusades. The Triton Protectorates are a bit more grown-up these days, the Order's work more subtle. I hear we even have an official charity, though I've not been home for some years.

"Tritons are a decent folk who value honesty and fairness. They're also small-minded, dull, and utterly convinced of their superiority over cultures they know nothing about. I love my country but I don't spend much time there." This very two-sided assessment amuses him.

Shifting his weight on his horse, he says to Zhu with a grin.

"Though, just so we're clear; tritons are superior at everything."

Yartar soon appears over the rise in the road, which slopes down to the water's edge. Arus can smell the River Surbin, the docks. For him, a triton who has spent much of his adult life in harbour towns, it's not an unpleasant smell.

"We'll hand-off the caravan at Lionshield Trading, then we should get lodgings at the Pearl-Handled Pipe." He says to Bern and the rest of the party.

"Consider it an expensive treat. The Pearl is one of the finest inns anywhere: lively, comfortable, excellent food and facilities.

"We have a long road ahead of us after leaving Yartar. So we should make the most of our short stay here."

"Sound good?" He asks Bern, then to Zhu says, "And perhaps I can buy thee a drink and thou might tell me more about the Eladrin?"
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sun 27/09/20 13:32 UTC

<Bern>

He had been idly listening to the conversations going on. When Arus focuses the conversation, he shrugged. "While I prefer a more 'natural' environment", he began with a smile, "the occasional night in 'comfort' is something I could suffer through." He chuckled and gave Arus a wink.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sun 27/09/20 18:39 UTC

Zhu

She smiles softly. "It seems our two races have much in common. I know many Eladrin who would give you a run for your money on who is superior to who. That is one of the reasons I left the Feywild."

She nods. "A drink and a chat sound good."
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sun 27/09/20 22:31 UTC

OOC: To be clear, you have not
1) Entered the city walls.
2) Returned the young Lord Artan to his home
Also, some of you have "stuff" to do.

Just to set the time, it is, indeed, late in the afternoon. So one item on your to-do list is securing shelter.

You are currently at location 23 - the caravan paddocks. The Pearl-Handled Pipe, which Arus mentioned, is area 5 on the map. Area 26 is were the young lord lives.


Attached picture Y2.gif
Posted By: Dugan

Re: 3b - Yartar - Mon 28/09/20 06:32 UTC

Davroar

As their wagon is directed to a spot to unload its cargo, he will ask, "Lord Artan, I would like to make sure you arrive home and get the help that you need. Are you strong enough to walk there?"

If he is not Davroar is willing to shape change into a riding horse to get him there quicker.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Mon 28/09/20 16:52 UTC

Zhu

With the caravan delivered she nods at Davroar's question to Lord Artan. Deliver him to his home and then some rest, a meal, and some good wine.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Mon 28/09/20 17:47 UTC

<Bern>

He nodded, willing to go along with the group's choice of 'what was next'. And the 'safe delivery' of Artan seemed a reasonable 'task' at this point.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Mon 28/09/20 17:54 UTC

Arus

"Aye. Let's hand-off the caravan and then the lordling en route to the inn. The Rossolios' house is likely in the same neighbourhood."

He wants to deliver Lord Artan before the party pays out for a night at the Pearl. There's a chance the Rossolios will offer hospitality of their own, which would be hard for Arus to refuse. Duty before debauchery, after all.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 01/10/20 14:36 UTC

DM

Jaliera found the guards along with the wagon drivers huddled around the paddock inspector. He was handing out chits to the men and women that accompanied the caravan. When the guards noticed Jaliera, they make their way over to her. One of them, a slender man named Quiggles, speaks up for the group. "M'Lady Jaliera, we do not know yet. Each of us have plans of our own. There is much work for guards. First we be gettin' our gold and then we be a spendin' it."

"Are you and the others staying at the Pipe, m'lady?" Nym, a burly guard asked after overhearing the Triton. He seems impressed.

The group has decided to take Lord Artan home which was probably the right move. The young man had promised a great reward; he made sure to remind Davroar about the reward the entire ride back to Yartar. Second, the noble really needed to get help. The water that they had provided for him to wet down along the way was now nearly gone. He tried to insist on walking in, but after a few shaky steps, he accepted Davroar's offer and, amazed, he climbed onto his back. With the wagons offloaded the group gathered together and headed into town. First they would need to pass through the citadel known as the Shield Tower. The tower is home to the Shields of Yartar, a force of about 150 mounted town guards who police Yartar and fight off frequent orc and troll raids.

As the group made their way through the gate into the walled courtyard that surrounded the tower, they pass a half dozen heavily armed mounted guards stationed on either side of the entrance. Many more guards milled about the courtyard both mounted and on foot. Once guards recognized young Lord Artan Rossolio riding in with his entourage in tow, guards turned their attention elsewhere that spared the party the more intense inspections and scrutiny others had endured. The sound of Davroar's hooves changed as he cantered ahead. There was a different feel beneath his feet too. Sindar was able to explain that he had heard the tower grounds were protected by hidden traps that once ensnared nearly 100 trolls. They were headed from the southern gate to the eastern gate which led into the city. Off to their left they could see the northern gate which was guarded even more heavily. Nearly two dozen mounted guards near patroled the entrance and a dozen archers were vigilant atop the wall above.

"That's where the Waterbaron's barge is docked," Zindra said as she saw people glance over there. The gate led to a roofed dock where a metal-armored, ram equipped monster capable of carrying 200 warriors was docked. It had crossbow guns mounted on its decks, along with barrels of water and buckets of sand to dampen fires from enemy incendiaries. Its side armor is fluted and chased to show off the skills of the local bargewrights, whose work is the chief source of income for the town. The warboat had proven very useful in several hard fought battles.

"There are so many guard because a few years back, some pranksters from Triboar sneaked in and splashed paint all over it. That wasn't the first prank like that. I guess Nestra didn't like that," Zindra added. Nestra Ruthiol was the current Waterbaron, the elected leader of Yartar.

After they exited the tower grounds through the east gate they had to cross a wide stone bridge that led right into the crowded, bustling main street of Yartar. Instead of heading straight ahead, Artan directed them to turn down to the right. This is an area of the city that Arus had not visited before. It was the wealthy part of town. The homes here were large and well kept with manicured landscaping. The deeper they went into this area, the more lavish the households. Artan’s home is a two-story building deep in this district. It is large and old, surrounded by tall maple trees. A wrought iron fence surrounds the grounds. As you approach you can see at least two guards each walking two wardogs. the Rossolio manor reeks of wealth and power and is foreboding.
Artan needs help to dismount and Davroar realizes that it is time to change back from horse form and does so. He splashes the last of the water on his head, and passed through the gate onto the grounds with your help. When Lord Artan reaches the ornately gilded front door, it opens and he is greeted by a slender man who wears a butler outfit. "Welcome home m'lord and welcome to your guests. Your mother would like to see you immediately," he says coldly but politely to the young master.

"Hello Khemed," Artan says as he follows the butler, into his home. The manor is decorated with lavish paintings, tapestries, busts and statues, the floors are polished mahogany where they aren’t covered by massive carpets, and gaudy chandeliers hang from the high ceilings. You are led into Lady Dezhia's office.

The busy old matron doesn’t seem particularly thrilled at the return of her son, and immediately starts verbally abusing him. "Where have you been, you foolish boy? No, don’t answer that. I will not tolerate your presence while you are wearing that dreadful attire. You look horrid. Go get yourselves a bath and some clean clothes, then we’ll talk!"

As Artan bows his head and retreats to his chambers, Dezhia turns her attention to you. "What have you done to my boy?" She asks demandingly.

Attached picture Rossolio Manor.gif
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 01/10/20 16:00 UTC

<Bern>

He shook his head more than once. The coin needed for all the lavishness would have been better spent helping the less fortunate residents.

He =was= sorely tempted to answer the woman's question with the same question. What has =she= done to the boy. But he remained silent. He knew that 'they' would ignore anything he said and it would likely reflect badly on his companions and perhaps lessen any 'rewards'. That sort was like that.
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 01/10/20 16:56 UTC

Kriv

It took a noble to match a noble. The Dragonborn scion of Norixius Keep stood his ground unbowed, and calmly replied,

"Rescued him from what appeared to be a damaged cocoon, near the point where the Horn Stream and the River Surbrin meet. Whoever put him in there, and did whatever they did to his skin, would appear to be magically capable and dismissive of local authority. Is there anyone fitting that description in town against whom your son may have fallen afoul? This intolerable conduct must be rooted out, the perpetrators of this Lèse-majesté against your family brought to harsh justice."
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 01/10/20 20:30 UTC

Sindar

He kept his emotions off of his visage. He was impressed with Kriv's response. Well done put it right into the lady's hands to deal with the problem. By offering it that way the lady had no choice but to act or disregard, which she certainly wouldn't do against such an affront. He waited and watched.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 01/10/20 23:05 UTC

Zhu

She listens and nods very slightly to Kriv's response. To her, the situation should be investigated because it was an assault on a seemingly innocent person. The fact that person was of a wealthy, or even noble family has nothing to do with it, and might even lessen the need for her involvement since wealthy nobles have many more options for resolving such things than the average townsperson does. But she is willing to let the conversation play out for now. It might be instructive to hear how Lady Dezhia responds.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 02/10/20 19:36 UTC

Arus

He isn't as interested in Her Ladyship as he is the house, its defences and sign of potential threat.

But even then he hears enough to cringe at Dezhia's tone.

Kriv sets her straight but Arus reiterates:

"Thy son is sick and needs powerful healing magic."
Posted By: Dugan

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 06/10/20 07:03 UTC

Davroar

Approaching Lord Artan's home, he will let him lead the way forward as he reverts back to his normal form. Gawking at the obvious wealth, he trails the others as they enter Lady Dezhia's office and does not say anything immediately as Kriv and Arus have answered the Lady's questions well enough. He will only add with a respectful tone, "Artan should also have someone watch him all the time, with lots of water at hand until he is healed."
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 07/10/20 02:00 UTC

DM
Lady Dezhia Rossolio listens to the dragonborn's explanation with interest. Although the same could not be said for all of his companions, she could tell by Kriv’s bearing and tone that he was not riff-raff. So she contemplated his words as he spoke and after a momentary sigh says, "Well, I suppose that if you were guilty of doing this to my son, you would not be here with him. I will assume therefore that you have nothing to do with causing his affliction. You do raise some interesting points.”

She stops to reply to Davroar and Arus “Our family priest will have a look at his condition. It does, indeed look foul. Thank you for taking care of him."

Then she looks to the butler, "Khemed, see to it that these instructions are heeded. Have a bath drawn for Artan and have someone attend to him. Also, see to a fresh pot of tea.”

Khemed did not answer Dezhia. He simply turned with a bow and departed to follow his orders. Once the butler was gone, Dezhia offers her guests seats. There were two plush amber toned couches that faced each other. A glass table rested between them. A set of a half dozen matching fine mahogany arm chairs were also scattered about the ornate office.

She moves around to her seat which was behind her wide, antique desk. There she took her seat and continued her response to Kriv. "You make valid points. It would need to be someone or something with power. Yes, of course it concerns me. Do I have enemies? I cannot think of any but that does not mean they are not there. If such enemies exist, then they think that they will get to me by harming my son.”

She crossed her arms over her chest and bit her lip. “Or maybe it is trouble that Artan brought on to us? Who knows what troubles that son of mine has gotten into? It is the fact that I do not know what happened to him that concerns me most.”

Khemed returned, wheeling in a small two-level serving cart. Dezhia paused as he began to set servings and immediately threw up a hand if anyone started talking while he was around. On the top of the cart that the butler pushed into the room was a plate of pastries that included cookies, small cakes and slices of a berry pie. It also had a steaming teapot, porcelin cups, saucers, plates, spoons, forks and napkins. He prepared a place setting neatly for each guest and then poured a cup of tea for everyone, starting with Lady Dezhia then the guests. Once the butler was done, he left and Lady Dezhia continued.

“Yes. I must know my enemies are. They need to be dealt with. I do not know what your plans are, but you speak with a level of confidence. Do you think you might be able to help find out what is behind his ailment? I can pay you.”
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 07/10/20 11:04 UTC

Jaliera

She had followed the others, mostly gawping at her surroundings. These dwellings are certainly impressive. She gets a sudden thought about defences seeing the guard dogs and calls Whisper to her shoulder.

Inside continues to impress although Jaliera is not so sure she would be comfortable living in a house like this. She would be frightened of breaking anything. That thought also prompts her to take extra care as she moves through the rooms and indeed when invited to sit down. Though she does think that those berry slices look more than appetizing. She wants to take one but doesn't want to go first.

Then her ears prick up. A job? That could be interesting.
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 07/10/20 15:40 UTC

Sinda

Maybe it was his growing up and having to work for food, shelter and coins other than gold, he also took a special interest in a potentially paying job. Though the rich were notorious for being skin flints, so negotiations would have to be strong.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 07/10/20 16:43 UTC

<Bern>

While he didn't have much 'love' for the 'wealthy', he didn't like that their 'enemies' would target a kid. So he was willing to listen to the proposal.
Posted By: Dugan

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 08/10/20 07:16 UTC

Davroar

Hungry after a day of travel, once the servant leaves the room Davroar will scoff down two cookies and a small cake that is overly dry to his taste, so he quickly takes a gulp of tea that makes him squint his eyes as the hot liquid nearly burns his tongue. With watery eyes he looks up and says with a bit of a gasping sound, "We're here anyways for a bit."

Shrugging his shoulders, Davroar looks to Kriv first, trusting him to make a deal with the noble lady. He looks to the others if they have anything more to say, then looks back to the tray of food as he silently considers going for another cookie.
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 08/10/20 11:31 UTC

Jaliera

She smiles at Davroar, glad that he has broken the ice and allowed her to take a berry slice without feeling self conscious. Delicious. She takes a moment to enjoy it.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 08/10/20 12:02 UTC

Arus

Other than the noble house itself, there's plenty more to interest someone in Arus's line of work. A disease, resistant to healing magic and possibly weaponised. If Yartar is involved, that means the river and the river ultimately flows to the sea and the sea the ocean. It's Arus's business to find out what's afoot and if a threat to the Protectorate is discovered, put a stop to it.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 08/10/20 12:14 UTC

<Bern>

He ignores the sweets, content to sip on the tea while he listens.
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 08/10/20 20:49 UTC

Sindar

He is content to watch and listen. He doesn't partake of the food nor the drink. He is more keenly interested in other matters.
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 02:08 UTC

Kriv

Cold, hard gold for cold, hard truth. Kriv was in his element dealing with such terms.

"A number of my colleagues have relevant talents that could be useful in such an investigation, I myself am a scholar, and a student of the Art."

He deliberately glanced around at the rest of the party, noting their responses and gauging their interest. Returning to look upon the Lady,

"Our business here is indeed pressing, but I suspect we could collectively be diverted to this worthy endeavour given sufficient and commensurate remuneration. Would anyone object to the discussion of terms at this juncture, given the task and offer set before us?"

Theirs was, after all, a collective endeavour, and it was well worth their while to ensure everyone here was on the same page.
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 10:40 UTC

Jaliera

As Kriv looks around to gauge interest, she nods showing hers but continues with the berry slice. She notices the others mostly not eating and is considering the opportunity for another after this one.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 12:08 UTC

DM

As Kriv replies, Lady Dezhia reaches for a raisin scone and nibbles on it before sipping her tea. When he is done, she puts the cup and saucer down on the desk and begins to elaborate. "When you brought in Artan, I noted that the boy has carelessly lost his family pendant. It is an irreplaceable heirloom that must be returned to the house. Perhaps it was taken when whoever sickened my boy abducted him. This trouble I am prepared to offer you 500 GP if you can learn who is behind what happened to Artan. There is an extra 500 GP in it for you if retrieve the pendant. You will recognize it as it is an onyx disk onto which small emeralds are inlaid to form the Rossolio family symbol".

She lifts a paperweight on her desk and shows it to each and every one of the adventurers. (OOC: It looks like the letter "R").

She then reached into a drawer in her desk and pulled out a velvet pouch and emptied it on a silver plate. Gold coins poured out. She started stacking them quickly. She had built ten stacks of ten gold coins and pushed them towards the front edge of the desk. The way that she handled the coins quickly brought to mind, to those who might have seen gamblers, that she handled her coins like they do; fidgeted with their stacks; shifting them around, counting and recounting, rolling coins between their fingers. The remainder of the coins she scooped back into the velvet purse which she left on the desk. "This is for you regardless, as a thank you for bringing Artan home."

"Would that be agreeable?" she asked.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 12:11 UTC

<Bern>

When Kriv glanced in his direction he gave him a 'why not' shrug.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 15:01 UTC

Arus

He doesn't sit. Primarily because he's wearing rough old plate armour and doesn't want to scratch the varnish on the furniture.

Arus is courteous though. He eats, taking a plate of nibbles with him to stand by a window, looking out.

When he sees Kriv's querying look, Arus nods with a casual half-grin. It's fine.

"This family pendant. Does it have a magical signature?" He asks the lady.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 15:15 UTC

Zhu

She waits to see what the others decide. If taking the job is alright for them she will support them.

(OOC - Mostly don't want to make decisions for the party as I am technically co-DMing this with Nep. At some point I will run a module in the campaign wink )
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 15:56 UTC

[[ FWIW, I don't have a problem with your 'character' making choices and the like ... other wise Zhu might as well be an NPC. I don't want that. I like how she is when you 'play' her. Please keep doing that. ]]
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 18:24 UTC

Sindar

He nods his agreement to the job and terms. His own curiosity is piqued. It would also be helpful to have an ally in the noble family if all goes well.

[OOC: You are doing fine Z man. Just keep it up. grin ]
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 20:03 UTC

ooc: Zeim, feel free to "play". I sincerely doubt you have advanced knowledge about what is going on here. smile
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 21:10 UTC

Kriv

"Five hundred gold to identify the culprit of your son's misfortune, five hundred gold to retrieve your son's pendant, consisting of an onyx disc with the R sigil representing your house in emeralds upon it, with one hundred gold disbursed to us here and now as payment for Artan's rescue and safe return."

He paused for a moment in case anyone wished to object. If no-one did,

"We find your terms agreeable. You have procured our services in this matter. I hight Kriv Norixius, of Norixius Keep: You have my word that we will do all that we can to get to the bottom of this."
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 21:21 UTC

<Bern>

He listened to Kriv's ... negotiations and nodded when his gaze came his way. He was willing.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 09/10/20 21:46 UTC

DM

"Thank you all, in advance. This matter has the attention of the Waterbaron. Lady Nestra Ruthiol was very interested in Artan’s disappearance when we spoke last. I had the distinct impression that Artan wasn’t the only noble to have gone missing in the recent weeks. This is a concerning matter."

OOC: You might want to review some of the earlier posts with Artan for clues as to how you might squeeze out some more clues. wink Also, since not everyone spoke with him during the journey home, I'll assume that some of what was said privately was shared with others.
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sun 11/10/20 17:07 UTC

Jaliera

At the last pronouncement, Jaliera glances meaningfully at Kriv. If other nobles have gone missing then there might be more clues or information available, as well as further finders fees. This is getting interesting.

She can feel their departure drawing closer and snags a second berry slice whilst she can.
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sun 11/10/20 18:57 UTC

Sindar

This sounds more involved. The giants were acting differently too. There were things that are very strange going on. He was very interested in this.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Mon 12/10/20 17:47 UTC

Zhu

"You son mentioned something about a 'Golden Goose' and a beautiful woman with long, black hair who wore a magnificent purple dress. Does any of that mean anything to you?"
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Mon 12/10/20 17:49 UTC

Arus

That was a sign the triton had been waiting for. Some indication that Lord Artan's mother had actually searched for him.

Artan himself had been convinced from their first meeting that his mother would be worried sick about his disappearance. But Lady Dezhia had not resembled that remark.

Considering there's a doppelganger on the loose, Arus must be wary. He's kept an eye on the household, the surrounds for anything amiss. So far nothing.

He moves away from the window and comes to stand beside and behind Kriv, a position of support. Zhu's line of questioning might give them their first lead.

So thou didst search for thine son, milady. Spoke to the Waterbaron about his disappearance even. Arus muses.

"Artan said that the last thing he remembered of his ordeal was visiting a 'Golden Goose'. He spoke of a stunningly attractive brunette in an expensive purple dress. Does this mean aught to thee?"

[Edited to remove the surplus question. smile I cross-posted with Zeim.]
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Mon 12/10/20 18:22 UTC

<Bern>

He had been trying to remain in the background, so had been happy to let his friends take charge of the conversation. But he =was= listening, curious what response the lady would give.
Posted By: Dugan

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 13/10/20 06:13 UTC

Davroar

Not wanting to pile on with more questions to Lady Dezhia yet, he will remain silent. Instead he will look around her office, to see if there is any family portraits and possible get a sense of how big this noble family is. Having only a little experience with townsfolk, he thinks that there is always the possibility of sibling rivalry over the family obvious wealth and power. Artan mention about his brother Martyn and Urzales being away on business, so Davroar wonders if he has more siblings than the two he had mentioned.
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 13/10/20 12:55 UTC

Jaliera

She wants to find out the family structure. Often problems with families come from within the family. But she is content to wait her turn whilst nibbling her berry slice.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 13/10/20 16:34 UTC

Lady Dezhia

She answers Arus first. "Of course I went to see the Waterbaron but nothing came of it. I'm not sure she lifted a finger to find him. If she cannot keep the city's nobles safe, perhaps ..." She bit her tongue. "I support Nestra".

Then, turning to Zhu she first mulled the question about the lady in a purple dress, "Perhaps she's a member of the Hands of Yartar? I do not know where to find one of those ladies but looking for a hardened woman in a sordid place might be a good place to start!"

"As for a golden goose? I have not heard of that name."

The conversation continues for quite a bit and as her guests probe about Artan and the rest of the family, it becomes clear that Artan is the son she least respects. He is excluded from most of the family business. Lady Dezhia is a widow, Artan's father died when Artan was just a small boy. Her two other sons, Martyn and Urzales run the day-to-day operations and were often away on business, as they are now.

Much as they probe further, it is soon clear that she does not have any more information to impart.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 13/10/20 16:49 UTC

<Bern>

It becomes clear to him ... as he listens to the information and the subsequent debates ... that there was something going on that they didn't yet have the information to understand.

"Artan ... being the youngest", he begins "... should not have been a 'target' for someone trying to 'gain control' ... unless they wanted to 'own' him before 'they' took out the other two", he offered.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 13/10/20 17:05 UTC

Arus

"An interesting point thou raiseth, Bern." Arus says, nodding to the ranger before asking Lady Dezhia, "I take it no ransom demand was received?"

If no ransom, then the kidnapping was likely political so the next obvious question must be: What is Artan's political affiliation? Though it might be best to ask Artan that himself.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 15/10/20 15:01 UTC

Lady Dezhia

"No. He just disappeared. No ransom request was made, but I was starting to think it was meant to take us out and make us afraid - an intimidation."
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 15/10/20 15:07 UTC

Zhu

"And when was the last time you communicated with your older sons, if I may ask?" She asks the matron. "As they are out of the city, are you sure they are safe?"
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 15/10/20 15:28 UTC

Arus

So it's political then. If they speak to the Waterbaron, she can probably tell them how the kidnap victims are affiliated. Yartar doesn't seem like the kind of metropolis to have organised political parties but there are always factions of power in any community.

He'll share this notion with the party in private but for no Arus says, "The Hands of Yartar are a female-only thieves' guild. I know one of their number who contracts for the Lionshield.

"We need to speak to Aldis, the Lionshield's proprietor... Two fish, one hook?"
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 16/10/20 00:42 UTC

Lady Dezhia

"They both left Yartar before Highharvestide," she said coldly, as if not sure why the question was asked. "We are fortunate that there is opportunity for our enterprise to grow. I hope they are safe. How would I know for sure? How could anyone? "
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 16/10/20 07:51 UTC

Kriv

A slight nod at Jaleira's look: A preponderance of Noble disappearances was both indicative of skulduggery and opportunity. So, what of the town's leadership in general, and the present political situation that might warrant such a move?

"Lady Dezhia, you say explicitly that you support Nestra. As outsiders to the town, we are not well versed in the intricacies of its leadership. Is there an alternative to lending your support there?"
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 16/10/20 10:56 UTC

Jaliera

Finishing her slice, she does for a moment consider the remaining contents on the plate but decides that three would really be over doing it. It looks like they might have a lot of investigating to do, always nice to get involved in an investigation. She glances at Arus when he mentions the female-only thieves guild. She has never heard of such a thing.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 16/10/20 13:08 UTC

Zhu

**Very odd.** She muses. **There are all sorts of ways for her to know, from the sending of mundane messages to quite simple magical means, all of which a woman in her position would be absolutely aware of and would have been expected to have used in the past. If she thinks her youngest was taken to intimidate her House, her very next thought should have been to both warn, and ensure the safety of, her other sons.**

She glances in Kriv's direction with a raised eyebrow.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 16/10/20 15:22 UTC

Lady Dezhia

She cannot suppress a snickers at Kriv's question, "Alas, are there not rivals that compete for power in every city in the Realms? But I do not know of anyone that has dared to express a desire to supplant her. She is elected for life, so such an objective would be construed as a direct threat to her. Nestra is not one to react ... casually."
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 17/10/20 00:20 UTC

Kriv

The Dragonborn took this all on board impassively, sharing a glance with Zhu.

“Good to know. When was the election, and are there any other candidates from it still active in town?”

Perhaps it was a poll of the gentry, perhaps merchants could vote, it mattered little. With so much power as a consequence, it was probable those involved had long memories and deep ambitions. As a potential area of political friction, it needed to be looked at and preferably eliminated as a lead, as poking around in such things was hazardous.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 17/10/20 03:29 UTC

ooc: I should have been a bit clearer about things. Most of you have heard of Nestra Ruthiol. She is a power broker in the Realms. Consider her to have the same level of notoriety as Sadiq Khan or Mario Cuomo. That being said (I'll be vague to not mess up Forgotten Realms lore by making stuff up)...

Lady Dezhia
"The election was a very long time ago, it seems almost a lifetime. As you would expect, there was competition for the title, a lot of it. Power is alluring."
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 17/10/20 10:03 UTC

Jaliera

She muses privately on things that cannot be said in public.

It seems Lady Dezhia is attracted to power herself. Would that be to the point of making a play against her own son if that could be manipulated to her own advantage. He did not stay captured but ended up next to a busy trade route. Granted he has some sort of magical disease but the Lady might already possess a cure for it?

It seems farfetched but it the lengths that some folk will go to to achieve their aims never fails to surprise her.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 20/10/20 23:40 UTC

DM
The conversation lasts a bit longer but no further important information is gleamed from it. Having accepted the challenge, the party needs to decide how to proceed. You leave the estate and are now standing outside the property gate and are free to decide where to go.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 21/10/20 08:41 UTC

Arus

Arus leads the way back to the lower rent side of town. The side of Yartar he's familiar with.

As they walk, he talks.

"We need to speak Aldis at the Lionshield. He's an arms dealer. I have a shipment to hand-off and we want any information he has on dubious, new customers in the Savage Frontier. Or any big thefts."

He walks some more, nodding a smile to a passing gentlewoman.

Which reminds him. "Aldis hires women from the Hand as security." The triton explains to the party, "I know one quite well. Scimitar Sally. She'll be at the Lionshield too. I'll ask her about the golden goose."

To the Lionshield Coster!
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 21/10/20 13:02 UTC

Jaliera

For the moment Jaliera is content to tag along with the others.

"We should also look for any rumours of other nobles being taken. There were hints that there might be more. So there could be more money to be earned and also more information to be had."

She pauses.

"Do you think the lady of the house back there is above kidnapping her own son to divert suspicion?"
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 21/10/20 13:56 UTC

<Bern>

"I didn't get the feeling that she was lying. Buuttt ... she may not have told us everything that =we= might want to know", he said with a shrug.
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 21/10/20 17:04 UTC

Kriv

"I'm going to have to speak to the Waterbaron as a matter of necessity. It won't hurt to let her know we'll be operating here for the moment, and to see if there are any potential leads of which she is aware that additional personnel would be able to pursue."

Pondering Jaliera's observation, he mused,

"It's difficult to see a beneficial outcome for her in that regard. That skin malady, her suspicion on our arrival and how swiftly it faded once it was clear we had a reasonable explanation which seemed to catch her unawares... I'm not sure she could have done what was done to him, not without involving enough people to render a conspiracy impractical. Plus financial outgoings at every stage, the uncertainty of him being found, the impracticality of not simply having him killed if she really wanted to get rid whilst inflicting him with a potentially lethal condition. I could be wrong, but it doesn't have that feel to it."
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 21/10/20 17:50 UTC

Arus

"I think when we found Lord Artan we interupted not a kidnapping but a murder.

"He would've eventually washed up somewhere, too diseased and too far gone to save, and his death would've been attributed to hedonistic folly."

An ambiguous end, suspicious but not obviously foul play. Just enough doubt to get away with it.

Arus nods to Kriv. The dragonborn will surely have better luck at obtaining an audience with the Waterbaron.

"The Waterbaron will confirm which political faction Artan and the other missing nobs all support. And that will make their political rivals our prime suspects."

Assuming they can trust the Waterbaron, but as a traveller in foreign lands Arus has a developed decent lie-detector sense.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 21/10/20 20:20 UTC

Zhu

She'd been holding her council until they'd left the Estate far behind. "I will need to pay a visit to the Waterbaron as well, so I can go with you when you go Kriv. As for the Lady, does it not seem odd to you that if she truly believed what happened to the boy was a threat to her house that she made no effort to warn her other sons? No matter they are out of the city. A woman of means, like her, would know of numerous methods of contacting her sons, both magical and mundane, yet she seemed to not have even thought to bother with trying."
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 21/10/20 20:39 UTC

<Bern>

"Well according to 'the story' the elder sons were away on their missions before the 'abduction'", he submitted. "So I don't see how they would be involved ... and it is not 'beyond belief' that she didn't want to use those obvious means in order to avoid 'alerting' others", he said with a shrug.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 22/10/20 16:24 UTC

OOC: As you are likely in investigation mode, there can be some parallel paths you take. Some can be in PM too. (Oh how I wish there was a way to link in-game PMs to the game and still maintain the "private" aspect). It's OK to split up so long as it doesn't get dragged out too long and we bring those threads together quickly.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 22/10/20 16:50 UTC

[[ technically ... you can do that. But it is a lot of work for you. You would have to create threads and then cut and paste from the PMs. And you would have to 'update' as the PMs were replied to :-/ Sorry there isn't an easier 'solution' <sigh> ]]
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 22/10/20 18:42 UTC

[Since you're planning to post the PMs to the game forum anyway, you could just create topics for each player character and encourage others not to read them until the appropriate time.]
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 22/10/20 20:07 UTC

That makes sense Neil ... like a series of 'PM threads'.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 22/10/20 22:55 UTC

[ooc: That's OK. No need. We'll just use PMs. I encourage every player to keep one thread alive.]
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 23/10/20 12:24 UTC

[ooc: Let me be clearer. PM threads exist, so don't make new ones. Also, I expect 95% of the postings here - not in PM. That PM thing was a general lament about a feature I would love - not a directive for the game.

As for the game, meeting with the Waterbaron and trying to find a member of the Hand of Yartar seem to be the two paths currently identified.]
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 23/10/20 13:35 UTC

Jaliera

She thinks then offers.

"Well being female and having a past association with a guild, perhaps I might be of most use following that path?"

She does have an errand that might gleam more information but that is best left until evening/night and is a solo mission.
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 23/10/20 19:29 UTC

Sindar

"I will also seek information but I will be better off on my own to gain the trust of those I wish to discuss things with."
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Mon 26/10/20 15:01 UTC

DM

There are a lot of paths to take, but after a long caravan ride, finding a place to stay for the night is the top priority. It had been another full day of travel and it was already afternoon when they first came upon the cocoon by the river. That was several hours ago. Now you are hungry and tired.

The time spent working your way back to the center of the city was time well spent deciding how you would spend the evening and night. The sun was already setting. Arus had recommended that you stay at the Pearl-handled Pipe. It was rather famous and deservedly so. It was known to be expensive and exclusive. It was the type of place which common folk could only dream of staying at.

Meeting with the Waterbaron was a priority for some. Kriv and Zhu already stated that they intend to visit her. She is a major power in the realms and would not likely be open to visits from random adventurers, but Lady Dezhia indicated that she is interested in the disappearances so it's quite likely she will grant audience.

Arus, rightfully so, wanted to get to the Lionshield Coster. He has to make sure that Othivar's harness makes it's way there. He won't be surprised if he's asked to take it to it's destination, since the current plan has the group heading that way. In any case, the caravan had arrived and he needed to check on things. Also, he knows people there and they may offer leads.

For Bern, Davaroar, Jaliera and Sindar there is no obvious next stop. Jaliera might try to seek out the Hand of Yartar on her own, leveraging her talents to do so. For Bern and Davroar, this city is as city as you can get. The further towards the center of town the group gets, the more crowded and noisy it gets. It is a very busy hour of the day in Yartar as businesses work to close down for the night and transform into revelers setting out for night of debauchery. Arus leads everyone through the town square, pointing out locations along the way. Knowing that they need to get settled in, he simply points places out as they pass. OOC: See map.

In short order the group finds itself standing outside the doors to the Pearl-Handled Pipe. The inn is magnificent. There are dozens of people milling about outside but one observation is that many in the party are dressed as adventurers would dress but nobody here is dressed that way. Everyone is wearing their finest robes, cloaks and jewelry. Sindar, who is versed in such things is quick to point out that there is likely a dress code.

Attached File
Yartar Market Square.gif  (10 downloads)
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 27/10/20 12:00 UTC

Jaliera

"Not sure this is my type of place. Don't have the right sort of clothing."

She sighs softly.

"And it looks expensive. Perhaps we should look at what alternatives there are?"

She looks around at the others to see how they feel.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 27/10/20 14:00 UTC

<Bern>

"It might be quicker if we split up for our shopping", he offered. "But I think it would be a good idea to at least 'pair up'. What is everyone looking for", he asked. "Maybe some of us are looking for similar items and could pair up. That would also give us a better picture of the town ... where to eat, where to sleep ... that sort of thing."
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Tue 27/10/20 21:03 UTC

Sindar

"I have some clothing that might pass. But my instruments will probably be a better way for me to make entrance. My pockets hold less than I want to spend to stay here. Though comfortable rooms would be a nice change."

He might also be able to talk to some people and gather information.
Posted By: Dugan

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 28/10/20 06:51 UTC

Davroar

The smaller towns like Phandelin he can handle, but the crowds here are definitely making him feel claustrophobic. Standing here in front of the inn and watching all the fancy dressed people just makes him shake his head as he says to Jaliera, "Not my kind of place either."

[ooc: Is Zindra our guide still with us? ]
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 28/10/20 12:33 UTC

Zhu

She has clothes that would be acceptable for a fine establishment. Of course she'd have to remove her traveling clothes and weapons, and unless they have a room first where would she leave them?

She glances at Arus with a raised eyebrow. The man suggested this place. "Is there a more modest place to stay? We can certainly come here for drinks and to talk to others, but we do need a place to wash up and change first."
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 28/10/20 19:10 UTC

Kriv

The noble, who likewise had suitable garb at his disposal, inclined his head in the human manner at Zhu's inquiry.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 28/10/20 19:33 UTC

Arus

He likes what he sees. He hasn't enjoyed such luxury since Neverwinter, and even that had a certain stuffiness. Out here on the frontier, things are a little looser.

Arus isn't deterred by his companions' concerns. The wealthy elite in the Protectorates had taken to dressing down some time ago, such that proprietors never can judge a book by its cover.

As far as the triton is concerned, their party has coin to spend and would elevate the status of any establishment they choose to spend it in.

"This is the perfect place to wash and change." He says to Zhu with a grin, before approaching the innkeeper.

"Greetings, my good man. Seven of your finest rooms. One night. We'll be dining in."
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 28/10/20 20:15 UTC

Zhu

She just shrugs. She isn't hurting for coin, and the others, well, many of them have interests in a mine rich in minerals. Still a few don't, and a few seemed concerned about cost, but she is fine either way.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 29/10/20 03:57 UTC

[ooc: Zindra isn't with you right now. ]
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 29/10/20 20:19 UTC

Sindar

Watching the Triton approach the innkeeper he smiles. In a soft voice he says "I guess I will have to earn some coin to make my stay worthwhile. Been sometime since I stayed in such a place. However, one can learn a lot from the patrons and a song might loosen a tongue as well."
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 04/11/20 16:00 UTC

OOC: It doesn't quite happen as Neal described, and I took liberties to keep you together for a bit, but I'll make it work smile

DM

The group stood outside the Pearl-Handled Pipe for a few moments to discuss whether or not they should go in, but Arus decided to not wait for the others to make up their mind and stepped forward and grabbed the handle of the large, ornately crafted, gilded door and pulled it open.

As the group, some reluctantly, walked inside, the opulence of the inn revealed itself in stages. First they entered into a short hallway. There were three other doors in this area. Immediately to the right was a cloak room which was attended to by a young lady who stood there with hangers ready in her hand. If anyone wanted to shed their outer coats or cloaks, she would take them and hand the person a copper coin onto which a number was inscribed. To the left was a washroom and attending it was another young woman that stood next to front of a small table which displayed perfumes, small scented soaps and rolls of cloth hand towelettes. The woman would offer a moist and warm towelette to anyone that needed the service of a quick face wash or relief. The third doorway was a set of mahogany double doors which were closed. A young man attended to that door and would present glasses of blackberry and mint flavored tea which to new guests. All of the attendants were dressed similarly in magenta crushed velvet robes which were tied at the waist by a gold colored sash which were embroidered with a pearl-handled pipe at the end. None of the attendants accepted gratuities, "Thank you, but your smiles are sufficient" they replied graciously if offered.

When the group was ready to move on, the youn man that served the tea opened the inner set of doors which revealed the magnificent lobby. The inn was much larger than it appeared to be from the outside. The lobby itself was nearly one hundred feet on each side and about fifty feet high and took up five stories. The lobby was lit in a number of ways. There were candelabras in alcoves every few feet along the perimeter lobby walls and there were fire pits with brass chimneys that reached up to to the ceiling which provided both light and heat. But the main source of light was an enormous crystal chandelier that hung from the ceiling and featured hundreds of candles. The flames from all these flickered and reflected off of thousands of small metallic tiles that were inlaid in the vaulted ceiling and each alcove. Looking upward it was easy to tell that the four upper levels were where the guest rooms were. Railed pedestrian walkways wrap around the perimeter looking down to the lobby floor below. Some doors to rooms were visible from the lobby but so were the many corridors that lead away from the center of the inn hinting that there may be hundreds of rooms at the inn. It was easy to see that this was the finest of inns. While there were certainly many examples of opulence, like the chandelier, the overwhelming aura was one of of cozy comfort. The lobby was abuzz with guests garbed in their finest clothes. Most were just milling about, sipping wine, chatting and socializing. Other's sat together in the sofas, club chairs and side tables that were organized in clusters around the fire pits throughout the lobby.

The group stepped into the lobby onto intricately designed parquet floor and made their way to the greeting desk. Arus had wanted to look for the owner, but realizes almost immediately that he would need to deal with the reception at the main desk instead so he walked over to a young man, a half elf, that worked there.

"Greetings. Seven rooms? That should be no problem. It was very busy last week during Highharvestide. Madame Elladuth Myristar said that we had over 500 guests at peak, but it looks like we've had some vacancies open up. Let me see what we have available," the receptionist said as he leafed through a ledger. He ran his finger down a page and exclaimed "Ah!" he exclaimed, "These look suitable. They're all very close to each other on the third floor. I assume you prefer to be near each other?"
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Wed 04/11/20 16:14 UTC

<Bern>

He looked at all the 'opulence' and sighed. It was clearly designed to separate a guest from as many coin as possible. He would have preferred something more ... 'modest'. But it seemed like most of the group was ... if not excited ... at least intrigued by the place. At least the receptionist was 'savvy' enough to offer rooms that kept them near each other.
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 05/11/20 13:06 UTC

Jaliera

She makes it halfway down the corridor, keeping her coat, before turning to Davroar.

"Not comfortable with this, let's go find somewhere else."

Then she calls out.

"Sorry Arus, not my sort of place. I'm already on edge, going to find somewhere where I can relax."

She doesn't presume to speak for Davroar or anyone else.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 05/11/20 14:48 UTC

<Bern>

"I am with you Jaliera", he said with a smile. "A bit much for me as well."
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 05/11/20 15:28 UTC

OOC: it would seem that a lot of you are going to have a difficult time in Yartar smile I'll let you guys hash it out.
Posted By: Pandemonium

Re: 3b - Yartar - Thu 05/11/20 18:22 UTC

Sindar

He watched the dissension in the party. He understood. The question would be what would help them the most. For his mingling with this crowd, he might get more information than somewhere else.
Posted By: Dugan

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 06/11/20 05:40 UTC

Davroar

His tiny bit of curiosity which made him complacent enough to follow has vanished as he takes in the spectacle of the lobby. Feeling completely out of place here he gives Jaliera an urgent nod and says wholeheartedly to Jaliera, "Yep. Let's go!"

Like Jaliera he kept his furs on and turns his back to leave. He is sure that Kriv, Sindar, Arus and Zhu will be able to find them easily enough later on at some commoners inn or tavern, for there should surely be one somewhere close by.


Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 06/11/20 08:44 UTC

DM
Jaliera, Davroar and Bern depart. Where are they headed?
Posted By: Gypsy

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 06/11/20 11:59 UTC

Jaliera

"I think there is another inn. Let's head for the centre of town and see if we can find it."

She smiles at her friends, they are often together these days.
Posted By: MikeD

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 06/11/20 12:57 UTC

<Bern>

He is quite happy to let Jaliera take the lead.
Posted By: Neptune

Re: 3b - Yartar - Fri 06/11/20 14:42 UTC

The map of the Market Square is here and note that there are two maps attached. Let's see if this helps.
Posted By: AJ

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 07/11/20 02:01 UTC

Kriv

The Dragonborn noble was unfazed by finery, and at home in high society. He had no problem taking a room at the Pearl-handled Pipe.
Posted By: Dugan

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 07/11/20 07:04 UTC

Davroar

He will follow alongside Bern just behind Jaliera. He is confident that Jaliera will find a spot for them.

"That... place was weird. I'm glad just to be back outside. I would think there must be an inn for common folk."

He starts looking for the usual signage of a bed or mug hanging off of a building.
Posted By: nemarsde

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 07/11/20 15:20 UTC

Arus

"To each their own." He says, accepting the others' leave-taking with good will and humour.

The triton, however, is very pleased with the place and makes himself as comfortable as possible as quickly as possible.
Posted By: Zeim

Re: 3b - Yartar - Sat 07/11/20 17:32 UTC

Zhu

She watches as the three leave, a bit torn. She is just as at home in a fine setting as a rustic one, or even staying outdoors in the forest.

She does not like the idea of the group slitting up in an unfamiliar city, although her tactical mind notes they likely couldn't have found a better split. Davroar, Bern, and Jaliera have a good mix of skills should they run into trouble, as do the group consisting of Arus, Sindar, and Kriv.

In the end, as her initial task aligns with Kriv, to go see the Waterbaron, she decides to stay with them for now.

As the other three move off, she makes a small motion with her hand, pointing in their direction, and her lips move in a quiet whisper.

(OOC - Gypsy - see PM).
© 2021 DreamLyrics Play-by-Post