DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Pandemonium OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 08/02/16 04:00 UTC
Cats knew this day as something special. All Hallow's Eve offered a day and a night when the world between this, and that became much thinner. Spirits could reach out and touch the living, talk with loved ones, and exact revenge. Cats knew to be much more vigilant during this time to protect their burdens.

The yard that Jayden was ratting up, was actually in good shape. Some leaves had fallen since the last time someone had raked them. But it was his turn, so being the new, diligent owner, he was doing his duty.

The spirit floated near his descendant, but was mostly oblivious to the world around it. Grandpa if that is what he was, seemed content to enjoy a nice fall day, in the way he could enjoy it, of course.

Tiger-Lily was keeping him company. The wind had just picked up as the afternoon set into their little hamlet.

Next door Shadow was out in the yard and stalking prey. [OOC: Your hunt, you pick what kind.]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 08/02/16 15:30 UTC
Tiger-Lily

Sitting there she watches all around. With her and the spirit, her burden is well supported. The wind keeps catching the leaves at the top of the pile, teasing her. Suddenly she can't resist and dives into the pile to catch some.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 08/02/16 16:21 UTC
Shadow

A non-sentient winged one, pecking at the soil, had Shadow keeping the wind on his side as he approached, intensely focused, low to the ground. He had a lot of territory to cover, to say nothing of his burdens, and this would provide a useful perimeter marker with its death.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 08/02/16 22:03 UTC
The spirit stiffened at something neither cat could sense. Jayden feels a dark dagger of ice to his heart. It passes quickly, but it was painful.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 08/02/16 23:19 UTC
Jayden

He enjoyed the physical effort of raking leaves and sprucing up the yard but, even with work gloves, his palms were starting to sting and burn with incipient blisters.

Then he stopped, dropping his rake and clutching at his chest, wincing at the sudden stab of pain. But then it was gone, almost quickly enough to make him wonder whether he'd really experienced the pain. Jayden rubbed his chest and looked around, thoroughly puzzled.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 09/02/16 01:50 UTC
The spirit hissed at the playing Tiger-Lily saying "something is terribly wrong. Much evil is afoot."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 09/02/16 12:30 UTC
Tiger-Lily

She freezes in mid jump, landing slightly awkwardly, her head looking around for a threat and she sees her burden in discomfort. She runs towards him.

"What happened?" she hisses at the spirit.

Has she failed again? She cannot lose another burden.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 09/02/16 18:00 UTC
The spirit says "I am not sure. I sensed nothing, but then I did. It felt like a spirit tried to reach in and take his heart. I stopped it, but I do not know where it came from."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 10/02/16 13:20 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

This is worrying. She hadn't sensed anything.. but then she had been distracted. She rubs around her burden's legs in apology.

She thinks that maybe Jayden should carry one of her wards.. but somehow, even if the spirit tells him too, she can't think he will. He has not been very happy with the few he has found in and around the house.

She doesn't know what to do. Maybe there is someone around to ask? She meows loudly to see if any of the other cats are in hearing.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 10/02/16 13:26 UTC
Jayden

The pain was gone but an odd, almost spooky feeling aftermath of the experience, real or not, still lingered and he stood there, gaze unfocused, rubbing at his chest until distracted by his cat.

Jayden squatted, grunted as his left knee popped in protest, and rubbed Dizzy behind her ears and, when she looked up at him, meowing, he stroked her throat (with the grain of her fur, of course - she'd bit him one time when he'd stroked her fur against the grain).

"You okay, Dizzy?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 15/02/16 18:36 UTC
[OOC Waiting for Shadow and or DC to respond.]
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 15/02/16 21:50 UTC
Shadow

Events outside his territory or regarding a Burden that belonged to another of the True People were of no concern to him without invitation, and the spirit in question had not communicated with him. He had no reason to stop his current activities.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 16/02/16 02:47 UTC
Down and across the street a little old lady collapsed in her yard. Another cat called for assistance.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 16/02/16 11:54 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

No response to her calls. And she cannot be away from her burden unless she has a really good reason. She accepts his caressed but is still tense.

Then there is a call from another cat.

Is something happening? Is this the big event?

"Stay alert."

She looks up at the spirit.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 16/02/16 14:07 UTC
Shadow

A call for presence was one thing, but a call for assistance worth breaking off a hunt for. He wanted to refresh his territorial wards, but they would hopefully hold for the moment. Staying low, he slinked off towards the request for aid.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/02/16 04:10 UTC
The spirit gave it's agreement.

Jayden could hear the sounds of a siren far off but coming closer, an ambulance, probably.

Down and across the street a cat stands over her old lady burden, meowing in anguish.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/02/16 12:38 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She runs to the end of the yard, looking over at the other cat. She sees Shadow heading over.

"Call if you need me, my burden has suffered an attack too. His spirit protector helped."

She is obviously torn by the cry for help and her own duty.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/02/16 13:02 UTC
Shadow

Looking over at Tiger-Lily, he murred,

"Sounds like a pattern. I must check on my burdens after this, see if the wards are holding."

Onward towards the anguished cat.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/02/16 13:53 UTC
Jayden

Hearing the sound of the approaching siren, Jayden lurched upward to his feet, grunting as his left knee popped. He didn't see the fire truck or ambulance, but he did see...

Jayden took off running toward what he thought was a person lying on the ground, a cat complaining cat-like over her.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/02/16 16:32 UTC
The old woman is pale and has a fine sheen of perspiration on her face.

The cat says "she suffered an attack of some kind. It came at her like a spirit though I sensed nothing."

The sirens approached. Jayden noted them stop a few blocks down.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/02/16 17:10 UTC
Shadow

Very quietly, given the presence of burdens,

"It lives?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/02/16 18:37 UTC
Tiger-Lily

Well that solved one issue. She takes off after her burden, easily catching him as cat's run faster than most humans.

She looks worryingly at the old female burden, it brings back memories of Miss Amy.

"This is bad. Something attacked my burden too."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 18/02/16 00:56 UTC
Jayden

He knelt next to the pale, perspiring old woman and saw that she was alive. He glanced down the street and saw, to his confusion, the ambulance stopping a few blocks away.

"Damn it, I thought they..."

The cats yowled or meowed or something'd low in their throats but Jayden didn't have time to worry about them. Perhaps they just sensed something was wrong.

He stood up and, without conscious thought, ran toward the ambulance, waving and yelling to get the paramedics attention.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 18/02/16 13:28 UTC
Tiger=Lily/Dizzy

She watches her burden run towards the flashing thing and looks to make sure his spirit goes with him. She turns to Shadow.

"What can we do? We need to do something."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 18/02/16 14:23 UTC
Shadow

He licked the interstices of his front left paw as he drew up his thoughts in order.

"Top priority, keep these attacks from killing our Burdens. Next, hunt the attackers and remove them from our territories. Finally, meet up with the other True People to prevent this being possible again. I have strong wards layered up around mine. Is your burden safe with that spirit? I need to see if mine are safe..."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 19/02/16 13:17 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"I didn't even see the first attack coming but the spirit protected him. I'm hoping that it will continue to do so. But how can we fight these attacks? I have wards around the dwelling but he isn't in there right now."

She is near to a state of panic. Losing another burden and the possibility of being locked away again is looming closer.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 19/02/16 16:47 UTC
Shadow

The distress radiating from the younger feline was practically tangible, so almost grudgingly he offered a compassionate option to take her mind off things.

"The spirit is keeping your Burden safe. Come, help me with mine, I will allow you into my territory for this."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 20/02/16 07:29 UTC
The little cat meowed back "she collapsed. She should live but I don't know for sure."

Jayden ran towards the paramedics who bundled out of the wagon. They ran into the house that they had stopped in front of. Inside he could see another fallen form. A middle aged woman was lying in the hall on the carpet.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 20/02/16 15:04 UTC
Jayden

He skidded to a halt, breathing hard.

"There's another woman collapsed just down the street," he said, pointing.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 21/02/16 06:45 UTC
One of the paramedics looks up and frowns. He looks to his partner and asks "you got this?"

The other EMT nodded.

The first with a name tag that says Parker stands grabbing hus tackle box. "Take me to her," he said to Jayden.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 21/02/16 14:33 UTC
Jayden

"Just up there," he said, pointing again as he headed out at a trot toward the recumbent old lady and her trio of feline companions.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 21/02/16 15:06 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She looks back at her burden. At least he is trying to do something as the spirit is with him. She turns back to Shadow.

"OK.. but let's make it quick. You lead I'll follow."

She hopes she is making the right decision.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 21/02/16 19:00 UTC
Shadow

The residence of the burden which called itself Janey Smith was nearby, and it was there that Shadow swiftly strode. It was warded by the deaths of many nonsapient creatures, but would that have been enough?
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 21/02/16 20:36 UTC
Jayden and Parker jogged up. The EMT set the case down and started assessing the old woman. His face betrayed nothing as he worked.

The cats entered the burden's domicile. It was mostly quiet except for some soft music from one of the back rooms. Shadow knew that was a room with many things to perch on and gave an excellent spot for him to nap in the sun and or survey much of his domain.

As they entered they saw his burden in a reclined position on the couch. At first glance she seemed to be sleeping.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 21/02/16 21:10 UTC
Shadow

This was no time for niceties. He leapt up, aiming for her lap.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 21/02/16 21:10 UTC
Jayden

Jayden stood nearby and watched the paramedic work. After a moment, he noticed that his two of the three cats, including his own, had left the scene and he stood more erect, looking all around.

Not seeing Dizzy, he frowned and shook his head briefly before turning his attention back to the paramedic and the old lady.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 22/02/16 01:41 UTC
Shadow's burden took the landing without even a flinch. In fact she barely moved at all. She was breathing shallowly but that was all he could discern.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 22/02/16 08:50 UTC
Shadow

Right then. Time to headbutt her hand repeatedly. If even that didn't work, then it would be necessary to bite her hand almost but not quite enough to break the skin.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 22/02/16 11:55 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

This is Miss Amy all over again. She has to do something!

"I'm going to help. Stay with her."

She turns tail and runs, retracing her steps as quickly as she can and she can run really fast when she wants to.

She is yowling 'Help' as she approaches her burden, a sense that time is running out. She calls to the spirit.

"Tell him there is another dying"

Then she yowls again, turning to run back a couple of steps, turning again to look at her burden and repeating until he gets the message.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 22/02/16 18:37 UTC
Jayden felt an impetus he couldn't explain, to go into the house. Someone was on death's door.

Shadow continued to try and rouse his burden without success.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 22/02/16 23:47 UTC
Jayden

He turned, drawn by a familiar, yet suddenly strident cry from his cat but, before Dizzy reached him, he felt like something twisted his head toward the door of the nearby house.

There was something there... something inside that house.

Jayden gave his head a brisk shake, trying to repress the impetus he felt drawing him toward the house. It did not work and he took off for the house, moving quickly, almost running.

"Be right back," he called back over his shoulder to the paramedic.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 23/02/16 04:21 UTC
The paramedic continued to work, though Jayden was sure that the man heard him.

The house was like so many others. Towards the back of the house was a living room adjacent to a kitchen. Lying on the couch is a woman with a new cat on her lap. DC is close by.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 23/02/16 12:06 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Relief. He is coming.

She moves to draw his attention to Shadow's burden, hoping her can see the problem and that he can do something about it.

"Thanks."

She meows softly to the spirit.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 23/02/16 12:42 UTC
Jayden

"Damn... another one," he muttered, glancing around as if he feels something dark and mysterious in the air.

"What the hell is going on around here?"

Jayden moved to the woman's side, kneeled beside her recumbent form and checked for a pulse.

"The lady looks sick, doesn't she, Dizzy?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/02/16 06:26 UTC
The woman's pulse is a bit difficult to find. It is so very soft, and slow. Yet she did live. It was as if she was in a very deep sleep.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/02/16 13:01 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She looks at Shadow ignoring her burden initially as she cannot understand what he is saying anyway.

"I hope she will be all right Shadow" she meows softly.

Then she rubs against her burden's legs signifying her approval. He is doing really well.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/02/16 14:33 UTC
Shadow

Nothing was working. nothing. Little nips, headbutts, prods, just enough tooth, just enough claw, the incessant meow demanding that she awaken...

This couldn't be happening. She was Mine! This room was Mine! This house was Mine!

He was responsible for that which was His. That was the bargain, a sacrifice of food and pettings on demand for stout protection and unceasing vigilance. Hundreds of creatures had had their lives cut short for her sake, and now...

Now the smaller cat interrupted the circling spiral of his desperate reverie. His ears flattened, his teeth drew back, but she was here on his invitation, with his permission. So, he dropped down, and plaintively mewed,

"There's life in her, but she's not responding, not to anything. This is all so wrong..."

Here, in the heart of His territory, the centre of His power, Shadow looked lost.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/02/16 20:41 UTC
Jayden

Frowning, he reached down, briefly stroked Dizzy's head and then eased her away from his ankles before moving quickly to his feet and running back outside.

"There's another old lady inside," he called out to the paramedic, "and she looks to be worse off than this one."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/02/16 21:23 UTC
The paramedic exclaimed "sugar honey ice tea." Closing his tackle box he stood and came to join Jayden in the doorway.

When he got to the woman's side he started checking her vitals. He didn't seem bothered by the cats.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/02/16 21:36 UTC
Jayden

Too many things were happening at once and most - if not all - of them bad. Jayden felt... well, confused at least.

He moved up close to the sofa but not close enough to get in the paramedic's way. He reached down and picked up his cat.

Holding her in the crook of his arm, he scratched lightly behind her ears and then stroked her throat, as much for his own comfort at for hers.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/02/16 22:33 UTC
Shadow

He retreated to a corner, alternately hissing and growling at the intruding Burdens.

"This place is Mine! That Burden is Mine! You are not welcome here, and if you hurt her I will sup on your stupid Burden flesh!"
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/02/16 23:45 UTC
Jayden

He frowned at the cat that was having a hissing fit.

"Must be the old lady's cat."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 25/02/16 13:28 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She can see that Shadow is really worried and knows how she would feel.

"It'll be OK Shadow" she meows softly to him, her own concerns forgotten for the moment. Then she is swept off her feet as her burden scoops her up and then begins to stroke her. It takes her a little longer to bring her purr into play but she cannot ignore these pleasures.

She looks at the spirit.

"Thank you." she meows, grateful for his intervention and comunication. Then she focuses her attention between stokes, Shadow and his burden, watching what is going on.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 26/02/16 00:59 UTC
The spirit nodded. "It falls into my responsibility to protect him." As before both cats could understand the spirit. It must be their dual nature between magic and mundane.

Jayden however might be surprised when he not only heard the spirit bit understood it and knew it was his long dead grandfather.

The paramedic continued to work oblivious to the little saga playing out around him. He did say "she will live. I don't see any trauma. I can't find a reason for her to be unconscious. Yet given what happened down the street and outside..." He shrugged.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 26/02/16 02:06 UTC
Jayden

His mouth sagged open when he heard his grandfather's voice and he gave his head a brisk shake to clear his thoughts. His mind had to be playing some sort of bizarre tricks on him.

Then the paramedic's words broke into his bemused reverie.

"Just what do you think happened to them?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 26/02/16 05:49 UTC
The paramedic said "no idea. Maybe an airborne agent that has a narrow range of effect. Won't know till we get them to the hospital and do more tests."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 02/03/16 13:10 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She watches the proceedings, wishing she understood what was being said.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 02/03/16 17:54 UTC
The spirit offered "they are thinking something airborne. I feel it is something spiritual."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 02/03/16 21:19 UTC
Shadow

"As if Burdens can think!" He hissed.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 03/03/16 12:56 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"Well mine does seem to be responding to training."

Her meows are soft. She feels the need to defend Jayden but realises that Shadow is probably quite stressed right now.

She then replies to the spirit, seemingly looking at something that isn't there except that she can see it.

"Would they understand spiritual? He doesn't seem to understand about wards and dangers. How can we make him aware?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 03/03/16 22:57 UTC
The spirit considered "to them it might seem supernatural. Not sure if my grandson believes in that sort of a thing. I didn't when I was like him. Now that I am like this... how can I not?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 04/03/16 12:38 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"Can you tell him? Will he listen?"

She has her doubts and anyway, he is unlikely to know anything useful he could do.. but it might make him more watchful.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 04/03/16 14:14 UTC
"I will try," the spirit says to Tiger-Lily.

The speaking into Jayden's head he said "time to wake up boy. Stuff is coming and you need to be prepared. Can you hear me boy? Just nod if you don't feel like answering verbal. I can hear your thoughts too." It sure sounded like Grandpa.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 04/03/16 23:56 UTC
Jayden

The voice was back, distant and a bit hard to understand, but insistent all the same and Jayden was scared. Instinctively, he glanced around to see if anyone was looking at him.

Then, tentatively, he nodded.

Who are you?
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 05/03/16 02:12 UTC
The spirit chuckled. "Are ya daft boy. I was... am your Grandpa. I know you buried my body but there is more to this world. Surely you know that by now."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 05/03/16 02:18 UTC
Shadow

"He's a Burden, being 'daft' is an apt way of putting it.", the orange tom growled.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 05/03/16 14:18 UTC
Jayden

G-granther? he stuttered mentally, simultaneously disbelieving and knowing it was true. He glanced at the paramedic to make sure none of this was verbal or audible.

Yes... I know that, but I didn't think I'd hear from you again.

Jayden paused a long moment, wondering which of the myriad of questions which were ricocheting around his head to ask first. He decided on an all-purpose one.

What the hell is going on around here?
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 05/03/16 14:52 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She suddenly has an idea.

"Tell him you protected him, otherwise he's be like these others."

That might focus his mind a bit more!
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 05/03/16 17:21 UTC
"Good idea," the spirit answered.

"I came here to protect you. The gun allows me to be near you. It was mine as I am sure you recall." Realizing that he still hadn't got to the point Grandpa continued "I shielded you from the attack thst laid the others low."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 05/03/16 17:57 UTC
Jayden

His eyes widened and again he looked all around.

Who... or what was behind the attack?

While he... communicated with the... essence of his deceased grandfather, Jayden continued to stroke Dizzy.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 06/03/16 02:42 UTC
The spirit shrugged. "Damm it," it exclaimed when it got no response from Jayden. Grandpa said "sorry. I forgot you couldn't see me. I don't know who or what did it. But it is possible we can find out."

To Tiger he said "we must find out the reasons for the attack."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 06/03/16 02:48 UTC
Shadow

"Reasons, yes, but what about the scope? How many more of these fools lie dying or drained, stumbling over each other in their inability to understand the greater realm all around them? Does this cover a couple of territories? The whole city? Places we can barely conceive of beyond what we know?", hissed the ginger tom.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 06/03/16 12:17 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She is partly lost in the comfort of the caress she is receiving but she starts when Shadow speaks. She had been thinking just this small area, maybe it is more widespread?

"I had thought it was just here, generated by the sacrifice of the small burden.. but we don't know if other burdens have been sacrificed. How can we find out who is behind this? Jezzabella had been suggesting that there are evil spirits around, stronger because of this time of year."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 06/03/16 14:50 UTC
"Spirits are around. Some are good some bad. But I don't know what to make of this. It was spiritual energy but nothing like I have ever felt before. I guess we could talk to local spirits?" He offered.

[OOC Jayden can hear everything Grandpa says, so one side of the conversation.]
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 06/03/16 16:01 UTC
Jayden

He was going crazy... yes, that would fit most easily.

He was loosing his f***ing mind. The more he thought of it, the more it didn't make sense.

Tentatively, Jayden thought Who are you talking to, Gran'ther?
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 06/03/16 23:08 UTC
There was a pause followed by a hoarse cough, which was obviously faked. "You are not the only thing in the world."

As an aside the spirit said in a way that didn't let Jayden listen in "he wants to know who I was just talking to? What should I tell him? Think he can take it, knowing you two are smarter and more powerful?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 07/03/16 08:55 UTC
Shadow

The cat in residence growled,

"He's a Burden, never underestimate how little they can take. I'm not convinced we need to break the First Rule over this, the true world would drive the poor thing insane. Insaner. Who we are and what we do must be kept secret, this is the fundamental law of our kind."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 07/03/16 19:16 UTC
The spirit nodded. "As you want," he agreed.

To Jayden he continued "let us just say you have more than little Ole me as allies."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 07/03/16 23:09 UTC
Jayden

Jayden opened his mouth twice, both times closing it as he reminded himself mentally that he didn't have to - and shouldn't - speak aloud.

What do these... allies and you think I should do to... improve the situation?
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 08/03/16 01:09 UTC
"Good,question. They are deliberating."

The spirit turned its attention to the cats. "So plan? Anything you want me to tell him? He is a bit prickly."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 08/03/16 01:33 UTC
Shadow

He hissed,

"Of course he's prickly, he's like a kitten fallen into a pond of strangeness. I want these Burdens out of My territory, unless what they're doing is of use to My Burden. If there's a way of phrasing that which wouldn't break him."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 08/03/16 02:13 UTC
The spirit considered "I could get him to move. But the other one is helping her. Soon they will take her away to the hospital to help her. What will you do?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 09/03/16 13:44 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She is tempted to let her Burden know but that might jeopardise their future relationship. And Shadow is right, probably best not to. At least they have a way of communicating with him which in itself is most valuable.

She considers the spirit's question whilst the conversation with Shadow takes place.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 09/03/16 17:48 UTC
Shadow

He paused, eyes wide, struck by a sudden, terrible thought. He growled,

"All these Burdens, wounded in ways they don't begin to comprehend. They're going to take them all, every last one of them, to the same place, aren't they? Clever. Very clever. I suspect something horrible will be done there."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 10/03/16 01:16 UTC
The spirit said "I guess that makes sense. Yes, I would assume so. So should we get to the hospital?"
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 10/03/16 01:46 UTC
Jayden

The hospital? Jayden looked around again, determining the paramedic seemed to be finishing up with the old woman.

Why would... we go to the hospital?
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 10/03/16 02:22 UTC
The spirit said "sugar honey ice tea. Because that is where they are taking the people who have collapsed."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 10/03/16 14:48 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Shadow has a point. They need to all go if only to help protect Shadow's burden.

"Yes we should go to that place."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 11/03/16 16:35 UTC
The spirit seem to be considering. Then it replied to Jayden. "Maybe you should go with them to the hospital, see if you can help, or whatever. Take your cat with you. Or maybe both cats, if they are willing."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 11/03/16 22:55 UTC
Jayden

He frowned for a moment and then shrugged.

I will go to the hospital with Dizzy... and the other cat if it will go with us.

"Is it alright if I go to the hospital with you?" he asked the paramedic.

"They are my neighbors... I don't know how to get in touch with their relatives if they have any."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 12/03/16 05:56 UTC
The EMT seemed to consider for a moment. "Given what happened on the street, probably wouldn't be bad to have you there, if you can stay out of the way. May be a localized something that could all be cleared up quickly, rather than come back out here." He shrugged.

Reaching for his radio he said "George, you got yours? I have another down the street. Can you handle it, and bring the wagon to me?"

"Roger," the voice came over the radio.

The EMT looked at Jayden and said "will be a min, but he is on his way."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 12/03/16 15:04 UTC
Jayden

Jayden nodded, still stroking his cat, and then kneeled, gesturing toward the other cat.

"You want to come with us, kitty?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 12/03/16 15:39 UTC
Shadow

The cat gave him a look of total and utter disdain.

He hissed,

"Is there a particular reason we're letting this Burden tag along and slow us down? Are you worried for its safety if left alone?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 13/03/16 18:20 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"Right now we go together.. and he can help to keep you with your burden too. They don't see things in the same way that we do but with the spirits help mine will be on our side."

There is a logic to all of this and she is feeling more comfortable about it all. Not that the stroking had anything to do with it.. not at all...
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 13/03/16 18:44 UTC
The ambulance pulled up outside. The running of the engine could be heard through the open door and corridor. A moment longer a gurney was wheeled in by the other EMT.

Roger moved to the woman's side and set the lock on the wheels to get her up onto it. Gingerly the two men slipped her across the small gap to the lowered gurney. Then popped it up, so that they could strap her in and wheel her out to the waiting carriage.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 13/03/16 19:30 UTC
Jayden

Clutching Dizzy carefully to his chest, Jayden jogged over to his driveway, fumbling his keys from his pocket as he ran. He clicked the button on the key fob and the door lock popped.

He opened the door and eased Dizzy onto the seat, turning to see if the other, older cat had followed them to his car before getting in himself.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 13/03/16 20:41 UTC
Shadow

"Fine", he growled.

Not even deigning to look at the burden, he paced over to the box with wheels and jumped in as if he owned it.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 13/03/16 22:47 UTC
Jayden

The cat looked particularly... well, regal as it entered his car and Jayden felt a brief spurt of annoyance.

"You're welcome, your highness," he said, managing not to slam the door after entering it himself.

Calm down, Jayden. It's just a damned cat. What do you expect?

He started the car and followed the ambulance toward the hospital.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 14/03/16 07:22 UTC
Soon the ambulance pulled up to the Emergency room entrance. It stopped and the EMTs started unloading the two women.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 14/03/16 11:37 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She shuffles across a little to make room on the front seat and assumes her usual position - that on a low crouch, almost lying down, with her claws gripping the seat. Hopefully she can then stay in pace.

This is a strange episode even in her short life. She looks around the check the spirit is coming with them too.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 14/03/16 23:26 UTC
Jayden

Jayden pulled into the closest available space near the emergency room entrance. He reached out and stroked Dizzy's head as he watched the unloading of the ambulance.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 26/03/16 16:45 UTC
The EMTs were quick. Out the gurney came, and into the hospital. As Jayden watched another came up and disgorged two more gurneys just like the first one.

A car pulled up and an older gentleman called for assistance to get his unconscious wife out of the car.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 26/03/16 16:49 UTC
Jayden

Something weird was happening... two many older people at once.

But he did not have time to think it over as the old man called for help and Jayden jumped out of his car and ran over to the brown Toyota.

"Here, let me help you," he said as he moved to help the old lady out of the car, lifting and carrying her if he had to.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 26/03/16 17:39 UTC
Shadow

With the Burden occupied, it was time to get the real work done.

"Come on, it is as we surmised. All the afflicted Burdens are coming here. Let's go and find out who benefits from that..."

The ginger tom vacated the stationary moving box.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 27/03/16 14:52 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She looks over at Jayden, making sure the spirit is with him. Then she jumps down prepared to follow Shadow.

"Should we make ourselves less visible?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 27/03/16 16:58 UTC
Shadow

"Can't hurt", said an umbral mark upon the ground.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 28/03/16 09:58 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Cutting through until the metal box, she disappears whilst out of sight, something her mother taught her.

"OK. Heading inside?"

They will need to stick together inside. This house looks much much bigger that the one she lives in.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 01/04/16 23:34 UTC
Shadow

"Keep an eye on where the bulk of the Burdens are, let's take a path less travelled."

He aimed to head in accordingly.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 02/04/16 17:15 UTC
Entering with the burdens the two mostly hidden cats move along corridors. The bulk of the burdens seem to be being placed in rooms. The majority are unconscious as the two were that were brought in.

The path least traveled is a cooridor leading deeper into the building. Very few burdens are walking around. Though there are a couple of gurneys with dead burdens on them.

---------
Jayden helps the old man get some help for his unconscious wife. The man seems tired like it has been a great deal of effort to get her there. He offers Jayden a hand and a sincere "thank you. Name is Bob."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 02/04/16 17:35 UTC
Jayden

"Jayden," he said, shaking the old man's hand. "Glad I could help."

"Hope your wife does okay, Bob."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 03/04/16 15:29 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She doesn't like the smells in this place, remind her of that place that Miss Amy took her do once or twice, not good memories.

"You think all these burdens have been attacked by the spirit? Some of them are.. gone."

She meows very softly to the shadow next to her.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 03/04/16 19:44 UTC
Shadow

A quiet susurrus of a reply,

"All? Doubtful. The burdens knew to take them here, that suggests taking them here is an ingrained habit, you know how inflexible they can be."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 04/04/16 12:56 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

SHe nods, then realises that Shadow can't see her.

"Yes.."

Then she looks around to see if anything is out of place or anything seems worthy of investigation.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 05/04/16 20:41 UTC
The less traveled section of the hospital filled with more scents of the cold dead and horrid cleaners. They noticed one spirit in a room filled with one silver wall. It had small doors regularly placed all along it. Even do there were a half dozen gurneys with dead burdens lain upon them. The spirit didn't notice them. It seemed to be pacing looking over the gurneys.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 06/04/16 11:45 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She stares at the spirit in the room, wondering what it is doing.

"Should we check that out?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 06/04/16 13:29 UTC
Shadow

It was one thing to know that Burdens were self-destructive wastrels capable of dying off in less than a nap if left to their own devices, quite another to actively see the outcome. Disheartening to see so many slipped through the net.

He drifted across the floor, to address the entity incorporeal to incorporeal.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 08/04/16 17:07 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She follows Shadow as back up, assuming he is going to challenge the spirit in some way.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 08/04/16 18:26 UTC
The spirit continues to pace seemingly oblivious to the shadow cat.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 09/04/16 14:43 UTC
Shadow

He spake,

"What do you seek?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 09/04/16 20:45 UTC
It turned its head about looking for the source of the question. It seemed to have difficulty identifying him. The spirit spoke in a woman's voice "I am looking for my husband. I know he is here. He wouldn't have left me alone."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 09/04/16 22:04 UTC
Shadow

"Do you know where you are?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 10/04/16 04:16 UTC
The spirit snapped "of course I do. I am in the hospital." It acted as if anyone should know that fact.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 10/04/16 10:17 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

This spirit reminds her of the old lady spirit in the man's house with the dead cat. Maybe a bit like her burden's current spirit. Certainly not like the malevolent spirit in the woods or the one attacking the burdens earlier.

"I'm sure he will be here soon."

She offers reassuringly before turning to Shadow.

"Think we should move on?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 10/04/16 12:12 UTC
Shadow

This room of failure, of Burdens lost, was getting to him, the responsibility of Catkind in stark relief.

"It is time to move on."

If he said it to the spirit or in reply to Tiger-Lily, even he couldn't truly say.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 10/04/16 19:58 UTC
The spirit returned to its pacing as the two cats stopped interacting with it. She didn't even say thank you, though Shadow could feel the warm feeling of thanks for his sentiment.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 11/04/16 12:52 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She is worried about her burden, always is when she is away from him. But they have to find out what is going on here.

"This way?"

She suggests moving further into the.. what did she call it.. hospital.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 11/04/16 16:32 UTC
Shadow

He scented the air, an unpleasant task in this environment, but found the outcome inconclusive.

"No reason why not," he agreed.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 11/04/16 19:17 UTC
The lower level was full of closed rooms. It stank of horrid chemical smells that burned their sensitive noses. Though they met no burdens nor other spirits in thus corridor.

Upstairs Jayden saw more people being brought in. The majority were older as near as he could tell. A nurse walked past him and asked "you look lost. Can I help you?"
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 11/04/16 20:25 UTC
Jayden

"Well, I don't know," he replied to the nurse.

"I came in... I followed the ambulance which carried in three old people. I had intended... to help."

He shrugged and smiled apologetically.

"But I'm afraid I might just get in the way. Can you tell me what has been happening?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 11/04/16 22:11 UTC
The nurse nodded in sympathy. "There seems to be some kind of a gas leak as near as we can tell. Several people have collapsed on the west side of town. They are being brought here and we are doing what we can for them. Do you have a loved one that has been affected?"
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 12/04/16 00:30 UTC
Jayden

He frowned at the mention of gas leak as he certainly had not smelled anything like that, but didn't want to argue with the nurse.

"No... not a loved one. A couple of neighbors, though."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 13/04/16 03:01 UTC
The nurse nodded sympathetically. "Have a seat and we can see what we can find out for you. What were their names?" She grabbed a pen and made as if she would jot the names down on the pad she had pulled from her pocket as well.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 14/04/16 01:21 UTC
Jayden

He sat down where the nurse indicated as an embarrassed look came across his face.

"I honestly don't know their names." Jayden grimaced and shrugged.

"I guess I'm not a very good neighbor. I think one of the old ladies' names was Johnson, but I'm not really sure."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 14/04/16 22:48 UTC
The nurse said "this has caught us all by surprise. No need to worry. What street are you on?"
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 15/04/16 00:04 UTC
Jayden

He told her his address and that the 'Johnson' lady had lived diagonally across the street from him.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 15/04/16 20:57 UTC
"I will look into it and see what I can learn. We have a coffee pot over there, help yourself."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 15/04/16 22:28 UTC
Jayden

"Thanks," he said and got up from the chair, glanced at the coffee pot and decided, instead, to head back to his car for a brief check on his feline companions.

They weren't there. Jayden stood, hands on hips, frowning as he looked around the parking lot.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 16/04/16 22:02 UTC
No sign of them as near as Jayden could tell.

Inside the pair had reached the end of the dark area. Several doors were still closed to their paws. There was several more floors in this edifice.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 16/04/16 23:04 UTC
Jayden

He didn't think they would've just left, although he wasn't quite sure why he was so sure.

Jayden turned and looked back toward the hospital entrance. He was pretty sure they were inside there somewhere.

Shaking his head, he rolled his eyes, went back inside and started looking for the two felines.

"Stupid, damned cats," he muttered.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 17/04/16 08:56 UTC
TIGER-LILY/DIZZY

She looks around as they seem to have reached a dead end.

"I think we should try up these steps?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 18/04/16 12:37 UTC
Shadow

The cat with no solidity nodded its shadowy head in assent to the mew of the cat with no visibility, then proceeded to flow up in sinuous, eyewatering ascent.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 19/04/16 17:32 UTC
The stairs were quiet even amidst the chaos they had seen earlier. Each floor had a closed heavy door with a window in it. The travel four floors before they see a burden opening one.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 20/04/16 19:41 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Almost by instinct she heads for the open door.

"This way.."

She is not sure what they are looking for, just thinks that they will recognise it when they see it.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 20/04/16 21:28 UTC
Shadow

Doors are no barrier to him, but splitting up is a shoddy idea. He trails along the wall after the voice of his compatriot.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 20/04/16 22:08 UTC
The floor was so similar to the others, that it was difficult for the felines to see it as a different one. But their noses told them it was indeed different. The harsh chemicals were not as omnipresent as they had been downstairs. However there was some other smell, sickly sweet.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 21/04/16 16:02 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She wrinkles her nose, unsure as to whether this smell is preferable to the harsher smell downstairs. Although it smells better, she likes it less for some reason.

Moving in through the open door, she looks around.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 28/04/16 16:11 UTC
The area revealed is much like the others they had visited in this structure. Though the smaller rooms had doors that stood open. Inside were multiple beds with burdens lying in them. The burdens were unconscious like Shadow's had been when they took her away. They seemed to be sleeping.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 28/04/16 18:23 UTC
Shadow

As tempting as it was to walk upon the sleepers and paw at their faces for attention, that would detract from what they came here to do. The Shadow listened for its invisible counterpart.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 29/04/16 12:24 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"Let's take a look around, see if there is anything untoward here."

She moves further into the room, using her ears, eyes and nose to see if she can detect anything. She will be glad to get out of here though as the smells and the feel of the place makes her uncomfortable.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 29/04/16 12:51 UTC
Shadow

Two-dimensional ears twitched and triangulated, keeping track of the invisible one even as he surveyed this probably-never-His territory.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 29/04/16 16:50 UTC
Room after room stacked with unconscious burden after burden. The place was full of people who had suffered the same malady. They all were still alive. Most had tubes into their arms dripping slightly salty water. They didn't react to anything the two cats might do.

At one point they see a single nurse seated behind a desk. She is working on a computer, and is completely oblivious to the two indistinct cats.

===========================
In the parking lot Jayden is no closer to finding the errant felines. More and more vehicles arrive, some ambulances, but most cars. People are steadily streaming into the small town hospital. It was clearly more than they could handle.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 29/04/16 23:36 UTC
Jayden

What the hell is going on? he thought.

And where the hell is that damned cat?

He felt foolish doing it, but he closed his eyes and tried to reach out to the cat, using the sometimes tenuous connection he'd begun to feel with the small feline.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 02/05/16 21:30 UTC
Jayden felt nothing, had no inclination of where the damned cat had run off to. Yet almost as if in answer to his question his grandfather's voice says "they went into the hospital to look around."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 02/05/16 23:09 UTC
Jayden

"What the hell did they..." he blurted and then stopped in mid-sentence, his eyes widening.

The words had come from... wherever and just sounded in his head. His grandfather's voice. This was getting worse than weird and Jayden suddenly realized he was trembling.

"Whe-where in the hospital?" he asked haltingly.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 03/05/16 13:03 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

To keep contact with Shadow, she asks.

"Any idea what we are looking for? This seems to be very widespread. So many burdens. Maybe this was to get them out of the way so they could do more mischief back home? Going to look at the working burden."

There is one burden here sitting down acting very like her burden does. She might as well check it out.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 03/05/16 17:39 UTC
Shadow

Again he focused on the sound and drew near, replying,

"Seeing how widespread it is can be useful, though so many Burdens all here at once, I hate to think what could be done with them all. I'll see if there's any clues from the type of Burdens affected as to if the plan is here or there."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 03/05/16 20:42 UTC
"What do you think I am boy? Clairvoyant? I saw one go invisible, and the other turn into a shadow, and go through the front door. From there how the hell should I know?" The mental voice was full of exasperation.

Suddenly his grandfather continued "oh crap I shouldn't have said that. Just disregard that. They went into the hospital, ok?"

======================================
Tiger-Lily jumped up and saw the woman was typing on a computer. It was like other letters she had seen, but it was just a silly waste of time. They often did this kind of a thing. Her own new burden was a perfect example of that. He sat in front of that glowing screen all day long, poking at the thing in front of it. Really it was much better for laying on, a little heat coming from it, after all.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 03/05/16 21:55 UTC
Jayden

That was it... he was now full-blown bats*** crazy. His dead grandfather was talking in his head about one invisible and one shadow cat.

Jayden rolled his eyes briefly ceilingward.

"Oh, what the f***," he grumbled and went back inside the hospital. Pulling a coin from his pocket, he flipped it, consulted the binary result and turned left.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 04/05/16 02:06 UTC
The hall to the left offered a bank of elevators. Beyond that was a bewildering array of doors. This was a big building for a small town. On the wall was a directory that offered one direction for ICU, another for XRAYS, another for Emergency Room. Up elevator offered operating rooms, patient rooms. Down offered the Morgue, Electrical, Maintenance rooms. As he read the sign he noted that the other direction was Adminstration. More than one direction to go at this point.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 04/05/16 13:12 UTC
Jayden

Muttering something about that damned cat, Jayden shrugged mentally, entered an elevator and went down.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 04/05/16 15:49 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She is wondering if this line of enquiry is going anywhere. Nothing she can see of use around the moving burden. And she is getting anxious. Who knows what her burden could get up to if left unattended for this long?
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 17/05/16 00:25 UTC
The elevator went down and the first thing Jayden was assaulted by as the doors opened was industrial strength cleaner. It was obviously used down here to clean all kinds of things because it over rode every other smell in the place.

Directly across from the elevator was a dark sign with white lettering that pointed left saying "MORGUE" ominously. Evidently there was nothing worth noting to the right, as the sign didn't even mention the almost duplicate corridor.

-------------------------------
This little machine gave off more heat that her burden's. It almost invited her to lay upon the keyboard even though the nurse's hands wee ticky-tacking away.
The
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 17/05/16 01:20 UTC
Jayden

Jayden paused and shuddered slightly as the astringent smell assaulted his nostrils. Then he looked at the sign, shook his head slowly and, not sure why he was doing so, turned left and headed for the morgue.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 22/05/16 17:46 UTC
The corridor seemed to get more lonely. Yet he arrived at the double doors to what was identified as the morgue by the plate on the wall. Evidently there were a lot of deaths because there were gurneys about the frigid room.

His grandfather said "Chuck? Is that you?

"Well that is amazing. I know it sucks too. But meeting you again after thirty years.

"Margaret is here too? I thought she died in 94."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 22/05/16 21:11 UTC
Jayden

He put his hands up to his ears but that did not shut out the weird words, words that weren't coming into his mind through his ears.

Jayden didn't know where this was coming from or what it meant, other than him being crazy, that is.

"What's causing all this, Grandpa?" he asked.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 24/05/16 00:16 UTC
"Oh sorry. I forgot you could only hear my half of the conversation. An old guy I knew back in the day died here in the hospital tonight. He was waiting here for his wife Margaret. But between you and me I think he is a bit out of sorts because she died over twenty years ago in a different state." It didn't seem to bother the spirit that he was talking about being out of sorts with regard to the spirit of a deceased in the morgue.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 24/05/16 01:04 UTC
Jayden

"No... not that," he said with a scowl.

"I mean, yes, that's part of it, but what's going on around here that makes the morgue so... crowded?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 24/05/16 18:39 UTC
"That is what your feline friends were trying to determine. That is why they came with you to the hospital. They seem to believe that something powerful caused the weaker of the humans to collapse into comas. That caused them to all be clustered here. Why? That is the question isn't it? The darker cat believes for nefarious purposes, or so he commented. I sure hope they are not right. It wouldn't be good to have something really bad happen in this town, especially with you here." His voice trailed off at the end, softer and softer.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 24/05/16 22:01 UTC
Jayden

Jayden scowled, concentrating on the words which appeared in his head.

"Can you help me find the cats? And is there a way I can talk to them?"

Then he realized his grandfather's voice was trailing away.

"Don't leave me!"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 25/05/16 18:49 UTC
The old man laughed. "I am not leaving you boy. Just keep the darn gun nearby, I am tied to it." He answered almost as an after thought.

"The cats don't want you to know how smart or powerful they are. In short it is against their rules. I ain't telling you this neither, just so we are clear. I don't want one of them banishing me or something stupid like that.

"Regardless. I have no idea how to find them directly. I can look around, but that would entail me getting farther from you. I can sense where my old service pistol is, so I can find that. But...

"They came to the morgue, I can sense their little foot prints. I think they went towards the stairs next. Or I can go and come back. Up to you."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 25/05/16 19:14 UTC
Jayden

He rubbed the slight stubble along his jaw line, frowning as he considered what the... well, what he thought his grandfather was telling him... he really didn't want to delve too deeply into the fact that his long dead grandfather was apparently living in his mind, so he figured he'd just think about that later - if at all.

"I'll head toward the stairs. Let me know if you... sense something."

As he walked, Jayden clutched at the revolver shaped bulge in his jacket pocket.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 26/05/16 22:30 UTC
As he headed up the stairs the bulge bounced against his hip as a subtle but steady reminder of how out of place things had become. One, two, and three floors up.

"That door, they went through there," the voice of his dead grandfather said. There was only one door, the entrance to the second floor.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 26/05/16 22:48 UTC
Jayden

He'd very nearly given up on trying to make sense out of anything and, nodding, turned and went through the door.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 26/05/16 23:14 UTC
Down the hall Jayden sees a long corridor. Doors on either side, likely patient rooms. Out in the hall there were gurneys too. There were a lot of people in this little hospital. To his eyes he saw nothing, other than the nurse who was behind her station looking at a computer. She was so engrossed as a matter of fact that she didn't see Jayden right away.

[OOC: Tiger and Shadow feel free to jump in here, he has caught up with you.]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 27/05/16 11:24 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Sitting watching the nurse and worrying about her burden, she looks up as the door opens.. and there he is! Maybe she summoned him? Anyway, no need to be here any more. She has had enough of this strange place with the awful smells. Moving behind the desk out of sight of everyone for a moment. She materialises and heads to her burden, rubbing around his legs, purring her approval.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 28/05/16 00:06 UTC
Jayden

Entering the room, he paused and looked around, and there was Dizzy. Jayden squatted and lightly rubbed her head between and behind her ears before picking her up and holding her in the position to which they'd both become accustomed.

"Where have you been, you damned cat?" he asked softly, his tone one of affection.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 28/05/16 10:48 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She purrs softly to him, essential in training which seems to be going well. If not for this burden crisis she would be very content.

She notices with satisfaction that the spirit is still with Jayden, which does a lot to alleviate her former concerns. And she casts her eye around for Shadow's shadow.

"Not sure if there is anything else to see around here?"

She is speaking to both spirit and Shadow.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 29/05/16 00:11 UTC
"Jayden seems to know something is up, specifically with regard to you. Just as a heads up. He is asking too many questions to not figure it out before long. I can't keep lying to him." The grandfather spirit informed Tiger.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 29/05/16 14:22 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"Maybe he is cleverer than I gave him credit for?"

She looks up at her burden, reminding herself that she had contemplated letting him know earlier, if she could have found a way to do so. And with this emergency and communication via the spirit possible, it may be a game-changer.

She will need to think on this.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 29/05/16 16:02 UTC
Jayden

"Maybe you are more than just a cat," he muttered as their eyes met.

"This is some really weird s***, Dizzy."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 02/06/16 22:45 UTC
With that thought an alarm sounds down off the corridor as some patient's machine started screaming. The nurse jumps up and runs off down the hall.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 03/06/16 01:22 UTC
Jayden

The alarm caused Jayden to flinch and probably disturb the cat he was holding.

"Sorry, Dizzy," he said, staring off in the direction the nurse had gone.

"Didn't mean to startle you."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 03/06/16 12:53 UTC
Shadow

He saw no merit or need to revert to a fully three-dimensional form whilst still deep in a vast Burden place of stench and pain, nor any great need to reveal himself to, or even acknowledge, the younger cat's Burden. Nonetheless, he followed, commenting to the Spirit,

"If you let it know the truth, it will likely break it. We do not tolerate spirits harming Burdens."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 03/06/16 14:00 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

**What is that squealing noise?!**

She is immediately tense as the female burden jumps up and her own burden reacts in surprise. But of course being tense is to be prepared to react.. not a sign of being startled...

Perhaps they should go and see?

She jumps down, ready to head out the door.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 03/06/16 14:11 UTC
Jayden

"Dizzy!" he called out, reaching for the cat as she jumped from his arms but coming up short.

"Damned cat."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 07/06/16 04:01 UTC
The nurse hurried down the hall a half dozen rooms, before opening one and entering. When the door opened the noise of the alarm was much louder. In a moment it had stopped ringing so was much more palatable to sensitive feline ears.

The woman was leaning over an older burden in a bed. The woman was obviously in distress her breath panting out and hissing in. She was slightly blue in her lips and pale.

Both the cats can see that her breath is being drawn from her, though where it is going? Where is her energy being siphoned off to? Isn't clear.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 07/06/16 10:03 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She stands staring at the woman in the bed. Something is going on! She extends all her senses to see if she can tell where the source of the problem is, using her eyes, her ears and her nose.

[OOC using preternatural senses]
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 08/06/16 13:31 UTC
Shadow

Nimbly, the shadow of a cat leapt up, looking to get a better angle on where the energy was being drawn to, and if need be distract it with a faceful of incorporeal claws and teeth.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 08/06/16 16:49 UTC
Tiger's senses told her that it the energy was being drawn up and out of the room through the wall.

Shadow didn't see a force he could offer teeth and claws, yet he could feel something was there, now that he was closer to the burden in the bed. The force extracting her energy was almost palpable.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 09/06/16 12:00 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Her head turns and she looks at the wall to determine if it is an outside wall in which case she will try to find a see through wall (window) that might allow her to see further. If on the other hand it is an internal wall, she will try to find a way to the other side.

"The life is being drawn through that wall."

Shadow and the spirit are informed.

"We need to see where it goes from there."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 09/06/16 14:57 UTC
Shadow

Time to see how 'Almost' it really was. The shadow leapt to intercept the path of force, to get between it and the burden, see if he could sever it with the equally insubstantial means at his disposal.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 09/06/16 16:30 UTC
The wall was an internal wall, though the energy was going upward, so possibly on the floor above would be a better place to seek knowledge. Though this thought is interrupted by the energy suddenly cutting off.

Shadow leaps into the air, and his insubstantial form blocks the energy draw for just a moment. Yet it seems to disrupt the effect.

The woman immediately takes a deep breath, that isn't panting, and not labored. The nurse nods as if something she had done with the hanging bag contraption had any effect at all.

[OOC: 1 Fate point to Shadow.]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 10/06/16 15:42 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

As the energy suddenly ceases, she looks around to see if the burden is still alive.. and catches Shadow in mid flight.

"Oh well done Shadow! Are you OK? I think it was coming from upstairs. Wanna take a look?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 10/06/16 18:08 UTC
Shadow

He landed on the shadow of all four paws, then briefly paused to clean one.

"Unlike Burdens, our kind are much better at withstanding that sort of thing. They have no defence against it, worse than still-blind kittens. Never be afraid to get between a Burden and a threat. Let's see if we can get the source before it runs away."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 11/06/16 13:07 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Well she is learning which is what she hoped to do. Shadow is both wise and brave.

"OK, let's find the stairs."

She assumes the spirit will tell her burden what he needs to know, and she turns and heads out back through the door looking for stairs.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 12/06/16 00:22 UTC
Jayden

As usual, he had no idea what the hell was going on as Dizzy first ran toward the hospital bed, then turned and scampered out of the room. Jayden rolled his eyes briefly ceilingward and then followed the little cat from the hospital room.

As he left the room, he glanced back over his shoulder, hoping the patient was doing all right.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 13/06/16 11:00 UTC
Shadow

With Tiger visible, he stuck to her shadow as she went.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 15/06/16 18:06 UTC
The nurse seemed to be much relieved as she worked on the woman. It was clear to Jayden that the crisis had been averted.

Tiger knew the closest stairwell was the quickest way up, but it would require the assistance of a burden.

As Jayden followed his Damn Cat, his grandfather's voice said, in his head, "follow, and assist, but stay out of their way. Whatever it is they are confronting it is likely to be dangerous."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 15/06/16 23:05 UTC
Jayden

"What? Who? You mean the cats?" he asked the voice in his head. Then he shook his head and rolled his eyes briefly ceilingward.

Of course he was talking about the cats. Who else was there he could be talking about?

Assist them how? he mentally asked as he followed the cats out of the room.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 16/06/16 13:33 UTC
[OOC What assistance is required for the stairs? smile ]
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 16/06/16 19:37 UTC
[OOC: Maybe opening the door to the stairs?]
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 18/06/16 17:52 UTC
[OOC: Might slide Shadow on underneath, then.]
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 20/06/16 03:54 UTC
Jayden walked up to find Damn Cat near the door marked stairwell.

[OOC: Yes Jayden will have to assist by opening the door. Shadow can get around it.]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 20/06/16 11:45 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She stops by the door, sniffs the air coming from under it and then looks up at her Burden with a meow.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 20/06/16 22:56 UTC
Jayden

He paused and looked down at Dizzy, frowning for a moment but then shrugging his shoulders slightly.

"You need to get to the stairs, huh?"

Jayden opened the door and followed the cat through to the stairs.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 21/06/16 11:29 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

That was quick. Maybe he is quite bright after all?

She slips through, rubbing his leg on the way past to show she approves and then takes the stairs at a bounding run. She wants to find out where that 'pull' was coming from.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 21/06/16 15:40 UTC
Shadow

Unseen eyes gave the Burden a look of great disdain, before accompanying Tiger up the stairs.

Quietly, he commented in a low growl,

"Be mindful of the First Rule. You do not want your burden to comprehend too much. It could break it."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 21/06/16 19:38 UTC
The stairs lead upward beyond the floor that they expected to find out more information. This edifice was several more stories tall. Yet as with the fire door below, the stair well door remained steadfastly closed. Tiger was there at the door as Jayden came round the corner.

Shadow was able to slip under the door and see another long hospital hall. This hall smelled differently than the one below. It smelled of the grave, moist damp earth.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 21/06/16 21:47 UTC
Jayden

Jayden followed his cat up the stairs as quickly as he was able, but was not able to match her scampering pace. As he jogged up the stairs, he did his best not to think too much about anything that had happened recently or might happen at any moment.

It was all just too damned weird.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 22/06/16 08:38 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She considers what Shadow says.

"I will try to be careful, though much of what he understands comes from the spirit. And I need him to open the door."

And as Shadow slides under the door, she adds.

"Be careful."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 22/06/16 12:27 UTC
Jayden

Breathing just a little heavily, he arrived at the next cat barrier and held open the door for the little feline.

"After you, your highness," he said with only a slight amount of sarcasm in his tone.

I ought to grab her and tote her little ass out to the car he thought, but made no move to follow up on the thought regardless of how much sense it made to him.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 22/06/16 19:18 UTC
First thing that hit Jayden as he stepped into the corridor was just how quiet this floor was compared to the others. No signs of movement, no sounds of machines, no indication it even had patients. Yet it did, didn't it?
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 23/06/16 01:56 UTC
Jayden

It was quiet, too quiet, and it gave him a feeling of dread.

Jayden moved to the closest room and looked inside.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 23/06/16 11:40 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

As soon as she steps into the corridor her hackles rise. They are in the right place, just need to find the source.

Time to take some precautions. As her burden turns his attention away from her, she calls for her Shadow Armour and adds invisibility to the mix. Then she extends her Preternatural Awareness in case that will help her find what she is looking for.

[OOC Activating Prowl & Not Slin & Bones also]
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 23/06/16 13:48 UTC
Shadow

He saw the other cat disappear, approvingly. He considered Shaping himself into something more combat-ready, but was content to remain in the shadows for now until they saw what they were up against.

"Spirit, there is danger here. Keep the Burden away from it, and tell him nothing that it would harm him to know. Do not shatter its view of the world. Tiger, I will follow your voice."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 24/06/16 04:07 UTC
The spirit was silent for a moment as he considered Shadow's words. "I can keep him busy, but I am not sure of the rest. He already suspects much."

Jayden lost sight of Damn Cat as he looked in the room, for when he glanced back out in the hall, the cat was no where to be seen. In the room though was a form in the bed. A person laid there in the semi-dark room.

Tiger and Shadow move further down the corridor, and the smell becomes stronger. Soon it was overwhelming. It almost seemed as if they were walking upon the earth in a cemetery, yet when they look down, the ground looked as expected, even if it felt a little odd.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 24/06/16 22:53 UTC
Jayden

He glanced into the dimly lit room, not sure whether he should enter or not, afraid he might disturb the patient. Glancing back out into the corridor, Jayden scowled when he didn't see his cat.

"Dizzy? Where the hell have you gone now?" he spoke, barely raising his voice, restrained due to the feel of the area.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 26/06/16 12:45 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"Not good.. except that we must be in the right place.."

Her voice is quiet.. hushed even.. but she knows she needs to let Shadow know where she is.

"Let's follow the scent to its strongest." She suggests.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 27/06/16 00:34 UTC
Shadow

Just as softly, the voice from the darkness concurred,

"Agreed. Get to the heart of it."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 09/07/16 18:12 UTC
The body laid in the bed and was breathing, slow shallow breaths. It was in a sleep of some kind, and from the amount of hair on the pillow, probably an older woman.

Jayden couldn't see his cat anywhere.

---------------------
Down the hall the two feline explorers went. The ground becomes soft was if walking through soft grass and moist earth. The smell becomes strong enough that both are sure even a dumb burden could smell the difference.

They finally come to a door which lies open and seated on the floor is a bulbous mass of something. It looked like a series of fleshy bubbles all on top of each other about to pop. It jiggled and wiggled as energy streams came in from the floors below feeding it.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 09/07/16 19:03 UTC
Jayden

The patient seemed to be better now, but the entire situation was still deeply puzzling, troubling to him.

And where was that damned cat? Somehow Jayden thought he'd feel better if he could keep her close by but, then again, he didn't understand why that should make him feel better.

"Are you still there, Grandfather?" he asked quietly.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 09/07/16 19:44 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She makes a soft purr to get Shadow's attention.. retreats.. repeats the noise. She wants to talk this through so they can maximise their efforts.

"Ugh! How do you want to play this? Physical attack?"

Her meows are pitcher very low, once Shadow is close enough.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 10/07/16 03:01 UTC
The spirit answered "yes, I am here. I am anchored to the gun in your pocket, keep it with you and I will be here."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 10/07/16 14:30 UTC
Jayden

He found it easier to communicate with... the spirit of his grandfather, he supposed, by whispering or at least by subvocalizing.

"Can you tell me what is going on around here, Grandpa?"

And, after a brief pause.

"And where is my cat?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 10/07/16 19:48 UTC
There was a silence. It went on for a while. Finally the voice came, old and tired. "Look. I am not supposed to tell you all the stuff. Against some rules or something. I don't want to put you in any more danger than you already are in."

[Interject what Jayden wishes here...]

Silence for a bit. "Your cat and the other one are down the hall someplace. They are talking about what to do about the thing they have found."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 10/07/16 20:06 UTC
Jayden

"I don't like being kept out in the dark, Grandpa. And what kind of danger are you talking about?"

"Down the hall someplace," he muttered. "What kind of thing did they find?"

Jayden left the room and headed in the direction he thought the spirit had indicated, his hand moving into his jacket pocket and touching the handle of the pistol there.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 11/07/16 01:02 UTC
Shadow

Ever so softly, the shadow of a cat replied,

"We need to cut the streams, stop it feeding on the Burdens. If we can find something to power a ward, I'd suggest warding it away, sever its connection. If we can return the energy to source, so much the better. If need be, we attack, but what it is matters less than what it is doing, and stopping it doing that matters more than killing it."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 11/07/16 11:57 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She nods slowly and then realises that Shadow can't see her.

"Well in that case I need to hunt but maybe not so close to here. The prey should be natural not tainted by anything here. I'll head back aways and see if I can find anything.. though I haven't seen any traces that I've noticed."

She pauses.

"Maybe I could use my blood..?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 12/07/16 15:30 UTC
Shadow

He softly hissed,

"It would take a lot of blood, and the blood of a sentient, even a willing sentient, even your own, is very dangerous ground. See what you can find. I was able to cut the link earlier by interposing, whilst you are gone, I'll try that."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 12/07/16 18:11 UTC
Jayden walked up the hall and did not see anything that resembled his cat nor anything odd that he could notice.

The cats finished their discussion. A quick search gave little sign of anything resembling prey. Possibly in one of the rooms that were less bothered by troublesome burdens?
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 12/07/16 22:11 UTC
Jayden

"Point me in the right direction, Gramps," Jayden whispered.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 13/07/16 13:52 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"Be careful" she says to Shadow, concerned that he will be on his own.

She will use her nose and her senses to try and find any evidence of prey in the area. Difficult as everything there are overriding scents to contend with.

She passes her burden with a quick look to make sure he is alright and the spirit is still with him.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 13/07/16 22:33 UTC
Jayden

The hair on the back of his neck briefly prickled upward and he shivered slightly as he looked around, wondering if Dizzy was close by.

He saw nothing, however.

"Just nerves, I guess," he muttered.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 14/07/16 11:56 UTC
Shadow

With the younger cat on the hunt, the Shaper tried to make good use of his two-dimensionality, looking to get between this creature and the sources of its aberrant feasting, putting his body on the line to try and shear off all the energy paths, to interpose himself and run interference.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 16/07/16 22:34 UTC
[OOC: Shadow... I have done the rolling up to this point, but do you want to roll 4df for this one? Or shall I continue?]

Gramps is silent for a moment. Then he says "well she just passed you headed the other way."

Tiger is having a hard time locating prey immediately, however she is a determined cat, and begins to get to areas where the scents are less obscured. In particular she comes to one door which if opened might lead to something in the way of prey. If only she had opposable thumbs and could operate door handle?
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 16/07/16 23:24 UTC
Jayden

Jayden scowled back over his shoulder, wondering how the cat could have gotten past him without his noticing her. He turned and headed in the direction indicated by his... spirit guide?

"Dizzy, where are you, girl?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 17/07/16 07:35 UTC
Shadow

Shadow interposing
AJ rolled 4df and got -1

(Yeah, you'd better continue. wink )
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 17/07/16 12:06 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She needs her burden. Turning she sees him start to head in her direction. Is his intuition growing? Interesting thought. She needs to get him to open the door and she needs to be visible for that. Even if she talks to the spirit, he will hear noise from out of thimn air. Slipping across the corridor or into a shadowed area, she will reappear and then head for the door meowing and scratching at it.

It is a risk but too much is at stake right now and Shadow in on his own.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 17/07/16 23:34 UTC
Jayden

Jayden turned toward the sound of her meowing and there she was. He could hardly believe it as he'd just looked in that direction only moments before, but now there she was and he moved to her side.

"The door again, huh, Dizzy?" he asked, pausing and looking down at the little feline. He squatted, briefly scratched behind her ears with one hand while he pushed open the door with his other hand.

"You stay close now, you hear? I'll be right behind you."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 18/07/16 12:59 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She takes a good look and scent in the new area. Her burden doesn't seem to be going away again though. She may need to disappear again. She is concerned that her burden will scare off the prey.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 18/07/16 19:39 UTC
The door opens to a janitorial closet, though most of the cleaners are closed up in bottles, so the smell isn't too bad. It is slightly larger than some of that kind might be, and in the back along the wall there is a place where prey has chewed through the wall and made an entrance.

-----------------
Shadow finds that his two dimensional form isn't having any effect here, in the room with the thing. Though when bathed in the energy from the burdens, he does feel a bit better, stronger, more energetic. It is fleeting, and stops the moment that he moves.

The thing doesn't seem to notice Shadow, or maybe it doesn't care.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 18/07/16 19:46 UTC
Shadow

He recoils from the sensation, for the energy is not Mine, not something he had claimed, and claiming it at all was deeply wrong. For anyone. He reverted to three-dimensionality and hissed at the Thing: The plan now hinged on Tiger returning to help ward it, and that meant drawing its attention.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 19/07/16 10:17 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Some good possibilities here but she needs her burden to move on. So she settles down in the doorway so he can't shut it again and watches the hole intently. Hopefully he'll get the hint.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 19/07/16 19:20 UTC
Jayden

He stood, grunting as his right knee popped.

"Okay, cat, in or out. Make up your mind."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 20/07/16 12:14 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

He is making those noises again. She looks up at him. Best ignore him. She turns back to watch for prey.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 01/08/16 21:51 UTC
Dizzy ignored him, and continued to stare into the cleaning closet.

Grandfather ignored him and continued to remain silent.

The thing in the room ignored Shadow just to round out the afternoon.

As Dizzy watched she caught sight of a twitch little nose. It wouldn't come out with her burden so close, but it was obviously considering something. Maybe that little bit of cheese stuck on that trap over there.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 02/08/16 12:52 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She is a hunter.. and hunters have patience. Besides she can't let Shadow and the other burdens down. She is as still as a rock as she watches her prey.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 16/08/16 01:55 UTC
The prey didn't seem to want to come out of its hole while Jayden was looming in the doorway.

Off down the hall, Shadow waited.

[OOC: Up to DC to do something..]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 16/08/16 15:02 UTC
[OOC Waiting on Jayden]
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 16/08/16 16:01 UTC
Jayden

Jayden looked down at his cat, cocking his head to one side as he noted her tensed position. He reached down and lightly touched her head.

"What is it, Dizzy?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/08/16 16:32 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She meows but talks to the spirit.

"Can you move him away? I need to get prey."

Hopefully the mouse will still be here for a while longer. She may need to make this a quick kill, if she can.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 17/08/16 20:43 UTC
The spirit cleared his throat. Speaking to Jayden he said "the cat needs a bit o' room. Can you back up, say to one side, so your out of sight. You know out of sight and out of mind?" He knew he wouldn't make sense, but was that important?
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 18/08/16 01:26 UTC
Jayden

Jayden frowned and then grimaced slightly and shrugged.

None of this made any sense to him.

"Whatever you say, Grampa," he muttered as he moved back and to the side, away from the diminutive cat.

"Yell if you need me, Dizzy."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 18/08/16 12:20 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

That's better, now she can hunt. She plans her pounce in her head, judging the distance and the angles. She doesn't move a muscle as she waits for her prey to show itself.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 19/08/16 03:45 UTC
The burden away from the door and the little mouse wiggled its whiskers outside of the hole in the wall. It was still tentative, but DC being patient and experienced, it only took time.

Soon enough the mouse had begun to creep along the back wall of the small closet.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 19/08/16 13:07 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Her eyes fixed on the prey, eyes dilated, not even a whisker twitches. She waits with infinite patience until the optimum moment arrives where trajectory, distance, cover and exposure of prey is at the optimum, her hips wiggle as she tenses and gather her energy for momentum, then she springs!
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 22/08/16 20:14 UTC
The pounce was perfect. In a moment the wriggling prey was caught in her clawed grasp. She had her still live sacrifice for her working.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 23/08/16 10:25 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Transferring the mouse to her mouth is an easy move, one she has practised so often that it is almost automatic. Her teeth hold the animal firmly but without causing any further damage. Proudly she trots back down the corridor, passing her burden and his shadow on the way as she heads back to Shadow.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 23/08/16 11:16 UTC
Jayden

"A mouse? Just a damned mouse?" he muttered.

Jayden rolled his eyes briefly ceilingward and turned to follow his crazy kitten.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 23/08/16 21:40 UTC
The pair made their way down the corridor where DC had been, but Jayden hadn't yet. To his eyes, it was yet another hospital corridor no different from any others. Yet even his eyes might tell him one thing, the little hairs on the back of his neck told him something else.

Tiger arrived to see Shadow waiting for her. The thing was still swallowing energy from the other incapacitated burdens in the big building.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 23/08/16 22:36 UTC
Shadow

He might have berated her for taking her time, with so many Burden lives at stake, but that would have been counterproductive, it was too important for that. Instead,

"Good. Begin the Ward: I'll make sure it doesn't interfere."

Looking back and seeing the Burden, he hissed,

"Spirit, get that Burden out of here. It is very, very unsafe for it, especially if it sees what we do."

Even more so if we fail.

He kept vigil, ready to pounce if the thing tried to interfere with Tiger's working.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/08/16 00:10 UTC
Jayden

Following Dizzy down the new corridor, he felt a bit uneasy. He wasn't sure what it was that felt so unsettling - maybe just being in a hospital with so many patients - but he felt the hair on the back of his neck prickle a little and he reached up to scratch.

Then the other cat showed up.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/08/16 12:52 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She had heard her burden following but there was little she could do with her mouth full. Shadow has the right of it though, she needs him to be safe.. and this place is dangerous.

She nods to Shadow and makes her way further in. Her plan is to make a circle of blood around the creature, whilst working her magic and then kill her prey at the completion to seal the ward in the most powerful way she can.

There is no time to waste. She starts her workings.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/08/16 19:03 UTC
Jayden heard his grandfather's voice again "umm, don't go in there. It isn't safe," he said simply. Even as the voice declared that, Jayden could see DC moving along the floor in what seemed like a purposeful manner. He might just make out a little thin line being drawn by something the cat was doing.

Inside Tiger began to draw blood from her prey at a slow pace and use its vital fluid to inscribe the circle of protection.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/08/16 20:43 UTC
Jayden

Jayden paused but did not turn back.

"Not safe for whom? For me, for Dizzy or for that mouse?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 24/08/16 23:57 UTC
Shadow

They were so close, so very, very close, to breaking the one rule that must never, ever be broken, the First Rule upon which all their existences depended. He growled,

"Spirit, get it out of here now!"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 25/08/16 12:19 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She cannot interrupt her drawing of the circle. She has to leave this to Shadow to sort out. She tries to block out thoughts of the danger to her burden, difficult, and continues her magics.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 29/08/16 18:24 UTC
Grandpa sounded exasperated. "Look just go, out into the hall. You can't be here. The cats will be fine. Go, go, boy. Go now!"

Tiger's working was building in power, the line being completed.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 29/08/16 21:47 UTC
Jayden

He was powerfully drawn... at least two ways.

His cat was perhaps walking into trouble and his cat was real.

The spirit of his grandfather sounded incensed but was he real or was he just a figment of Jayden's possibly deteriorating mind.

Jayden feel crazy... he felt the entire world around him was going crazy and that final thought was enough to help him make up his mind.

He walked out into the hall.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 30/08/16 08:35 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She could feel the power in her ward building. This is what she lives for. Her whole being tingled with anticipation.

And then there, at the completion of the cricle, her magical workings at full pitch, she clamps down hard on the mouse, letting its life blood seal the circle and complete the binding. She lays the body down with respect. The prey had given up its life for a purpose.

She looks up at the creature and the lines of power it had been drawing from the burdens. She is tense ready to attack or to run.

Had it succeeded?
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 30/08/16 18:42 UTC
The circle completed that much was clear. The lines of power that had been being drawn into the thing from elsewhere in the building, stopped. There was a feeling of that moment between waves, and then the creature in the ward started writhing, lashing out. Fleshy parts searching, looking for what it had been receiving and now was deprived of.

Out in the hall, Jayden could almost feel his Grandfather's spirit calming. "Good, boy, good." The spirit offered him praise for doing what he did.

All could feel that something was different. Exactly what would happen next? That was unclear.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 30/08/16 19:27 UTC
Shadow

It had worked, the wrongness of the massed draining brought to a halt. Still, now the thing looked dangerous, felt angry. He trusted Tiger's skill with wards, but now it was a matter of how strong this thing was, or its master. One way or the other, they would be sorely tested, and for that, they had to be ready
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 30/08/16 20:32 UTC
Jayden

"Good boy, my ass," he grumbled, looking back over his shoulder toward the place where he'd left his cat.

"Talk to me like I'm some sort of dog."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 30/08/16 21:40 UTC
In a very soft, almost under the normal tone of voice as if the old man spirit was talking to itself. Not actually saying anything, but ... "not a dog, they are considered sentient." It was so soft it almost wasn't audible, well none of it was, but...
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 30/08/16 23:20 UTC
Jayden

He wished he could turn in some direction in which he could directly confront the spirit but it wasn't in just any one place.

"And you're saying I'm not?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 13:51 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

It worked!

Her exultation is short lived. No sooner than those leeching power lines are cut off that the creature starts to thrash.

Instinctively she marshals her defences.

[OOC Already cast Prowl & Not Slin & Bones - assume they are still active? She will add Shadow Armor, Preternatural Awareness & invisibility in that order - not sure what restrictions apply here.]
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 19:57 UTC
"Oh c***", the spirit exclaimed. "You weren't supposed to hear that. It isn't like when I was alive. I can't just think whatever I want to. Look, I didn't mean anything by it. It is how they look at things. Well I am not supposed to say that either. Look. It is ok. Ok?"

Tiger brings up her mystical defenses as the thing begins to become more agitated. So far though it has not broken free of the ward, if it can even do so.

[OOC: Got me, don't make me pull out a rule book. I say we go with it. :)]
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 20:43 UTC
Jayden

"You were never this crazy when you were alive, Gramps," he grumbled.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 21:05 UTC
"This? What you mean boy? I was crazy then too?" In a softer voice the spirit continued. "Look there are all kinds of rules on this side of things. I don't want to see you get hurt..., or worse."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 21:41 UTC
Jayden

Jayden grimaced and shrugged.

"I don't want to get hurt, either, Gramps," he said after a moment of thought.

"But I'd damned sure like to understand what's happening around here."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 22:14 UTC
"See that is part of the problem. The cats have rules. If you find out what is going on, they are supposed to kill you, to preserve secrecy."
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 22:58 UTC
Jayden

Jayden shook his head, rolling his eyes briefly ceilingward.

"Cats have rules. Cats have rules?"

He made a noise something like a cross between laugh and snort.

"Cats don't have rules. Cats have attitudes."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 23:38 UTC
The spirit sighed. "They are much more than they seem. They are guardians of all you hold dear. I am not supposed to tell you any of this. It could get you killed, for just knowing. But what can they do to me, I am already dead." Jayden could swear he heard the sound of fabric rubbing as his grandpa shrugged. It came from a particular direction, and Jayden could almost picture the old man there, slightly stooped.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 31/08/16 23:49 UTC
Jayden

The voice in his head sounded like his grandfather and it sounded sincere, but that did not mean that Jayden really understood or truly believe what it said.

"Tell me what you can, Grandfather," he said or thought (by now even he wasn't sure which way he was phrasing his communication).

"The town is in trouble... and I need to understand."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 01/09/16 15:57 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Feeling a little more confident with her magics in places, she hisses to Shadow.

"What now? Do we attack it? Or leave the ward to do its work?"

She doesn't have much experience in the arena of baleful creatures, just the teachings of her mother.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 02/09/16 15:39 UTC
Shadow

He paced around the perimeter, regarding the thing balefully.

"We wait, we make sure it doesn't break through. Whatever it is doesn't look like it could hurt all those Burdens to get them brought here, so I think it has a master, something that could hurt everyone the way it did, something that put it here, something whose plans we have just put out of joint. Give it a nap or two and see what happens."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 02/09/16 21:18 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She nods. He makes sense and she is very glad he is here with her. She would be lost on her own.

"So we deal with this and then go find the one behind it?"

She settles onto the floor watching the thing, ready to do something if it gets loose.

"You think this might bring it here?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 03/09/16 00:29 UTC
Shadow

The ginger tom swished his tail, betraying the tension of the situation even as he replied,

"Yes. Whatever hurt the Burdens, hurt Our Burdens..."

Swish, swish.

"...We need to find it and end it. This thing here shows there was a reason, a method, a plan. Hurt the burdens, get them to this place, drain them empty. We don't know why they are draining them, but we do know there is a why. In shutting off this thing, we have occupied the high warm place. If it thinks like one of us, it will be planning to knock us down and retake its perch."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 04/09/16 16:56 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She nods. Shadow knows so much more than she does.

"Then we need to be on guard."

She positions herself a little more defensively, her back to a wall and where she has a good field of view.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 07/09/16 22:23 UTC
The grandfather spirit sighed "I am not supposed to tell you. It could get you killed. They can't kill me, I am already dead. Besides getting out of this existence might be a good thing." Jayden could just make out the spirit shrugging.

"But something has put people into some kind of a sleep state, coma maybe they might call it. Something is feeding off of them."

The spirit was silent for a moment.

=======================
In the room the thing thrashed and flopped, if it could be called that. It didn't look like it was getting loose. Instead it seemed to be looking around for its food source which had suddenly been cut off.

For the moment things seemed stable.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 07/09/16 22:28 UTC
Jayden

"Okay, okay, Grandpa, if we assume all that is gospel, I can't just stand around and let it happen, can I?"

Jayden shook his head, grimacing in frustration.

"What can I do to help?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 07/09/16 22:46 UTC
"Got me. This is my first rodeo. I have been hanging around, but don't have any real answers. Maybe we try and convince your cat that you can be of help instead of just trouble. Though I know your trouble, you always were." The spirit snickered.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 07/09/16 23:22 UTC
Jayden

He'd stick out his tongue at the old man but he had no idea in what direction to point it.

"Well... can you ask her?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 09/09/16 17:45 UTC
[OOC: As a note, Jayden can almost see the old man as he begins to become more attuned.]

"Fine," he says.

Inside the room the spirit says to Tiger "the boy wants to help. Anything you can let me tell him?"
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 09/09/16 22:10 UTC
Jayden

For just a moment, he thought he saw a wispy, ghost-like apparition moving past him and he shook his head to clear his vision.

Ghost-like was the term, all right, but Jayden did not believe in ghosts. However, either he was conversing with a ghost or a spirit or a something outside himself or he was just crazy and arguing with himself.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 16/09/16 12:30 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She looks at Shadow.

"It might be better to give him something to do. Otherwise he might interfere and make things worse."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 16/09/16 13:27 UTC
Shadow

"We can't risk it learning anything that would render its life forfeit. You are probably right: I don't think it has the sense to avoid danger even if it was aware of it. So, give it something non-threatening that will keep it at a comfortably safe distance."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 22/09/16 10:45 UTC
Tiger-Lily

She thinks for a few moments and then suggests to the spirit.

"Perhaps he could watch the stairs and warn us if anyone is coming up?"
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 26/09/16 17:40 UTC
Grandpa

"Ok, I can get him to do that."

Returning Jayden could definitely see the gossamer form of his stooped old grand pa. "Let us go watch the stairs to make sure that no one comes up and gets in the way. Ok?"
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 26/09/16 23:23 UTC
Jayden

His eyes widened momentarily at the wispy sight of his grandfather approaching him, but went back closer to a normal aperture fairly quickly.

Apparently, he was getting used to all this crazy s***.

Or he was just getting crazier by the minute.

"Why not, Grandpa. Better than just twiddling our thumbs."

He followed the apparition toward the stairs.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 27/09/16 00:54 UTC
The burden departed and the two cats could hear him moving to the stairs to keep a look out.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 27/09/16 18:56 UTC
Shadow

The wiry ginger arched his back a little less: Having to end a Burden for knowing too much was a horrible, horrible responsibility, and the imminent need to do so receding lifted a weight from his mind.

Still, they had another duty to see to. Having severed this feeder from its wrong meal, they needed to see what happened next.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 28/09/16 13:31 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

Her head is turned in the direction of the footsteps as her burden takes his leave. She finds herself torn. She misses his presence but feels she has done the right thing to keep him safe.

Then she turns back to the room, her eyes watching every corner, her ears and senses straining for any change, however small.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 28/09/16 15:41 UTC
The thing in the warded space continued to thrash, though to the cat's talented senses it seemed to be fading from this world.

The stairs were quiet. No one even seemed interested in going to the floor they were on. Interestingly enough, now that Jayden could see Grandpa, he noted there was a thin line on top of the stairs, he hadn't noticed before.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 29/09/16 14:35 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"I think it is going."

She observes to Shadow.

"Do you think we should try something?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 29/09/16 21:58 UTC
Shadow

"Do you have a plan in mind?"

The tom watched the thing fade, the final fifth or so of his tail twitching.

"When this one is gone, we should see if there are more, make sure we get them all. I'm still not sure what the bigger plan is, or what hurt all the Burdens at once. We need to get to the meat of this."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 30/09/16 10:28 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She sighs softly.

"No plan. I was just thinking that this one may fade only to return some place else but I'm not very knowledgeable about such things. Maybe the ward is killing it slowly? It doesn't seem very comfortable."

Her head tilts on one side as she watches the thing fading.

"I agree though that we need to see if there are more. At least we have an idea what to look for now. Just have to decide where to look. I think the evil magic cast on the young burden started all this, so maybe the answer lies in the woods?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 30/09/16 13:31 UTC
Shadow

The shaper paced around the ward and the thing within, looking intently for any trace that might have led outward from it rather than inward, towards some controller rather than from the Burdens it had been draining.

"I think it was made in order to do what it did. Now that it can't do that, it fades, withers, what we see here. The woods, maybe. Can you imagine a casting so powerful as to hurt all the burdens across so many territories? How could we not see it, feel it, sense it? Those it touched, some were Mine, some were your Mines, some were Mine to the rest of our parliament. If we can feel traces of it there, see a pattern, then that gives us something to work from."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 30/09/16 16:39 UTC
It is possible that prior to the ward, that the thing might have been channeling the energy someplace. It was purely spirit, so more knowledge of that end of things would be useful to determine all that was going on.

Eventually the thing disappears with a audible pop.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 01/10/16 14:06 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She too checks for any remaining traces after the thing has 'popped' out of existence.

"It has gone." She declares deciding to leave her ward in place. And she looks around to see if the character of the area has also changed.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 21/10/16 11:12 UTC
Shadow

Ever the hunter, as were they all, he trusted to his senses to seek out their quarry.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 22/10/16 20:14 UTC
The area around them seemed not very different than when they had approached. At least the stolen energies were no longer being drawn into that thing.

For the rest though the hospital seemed to be going along as it had before. To Jayden there was little difference since he had come to this floor.

The cats could tell that their job had been accomplished. The most immediate threat countered. Though questions remained. The most prominent of the questions might be where to go next.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 23/10/16 01:42 UTC
Jayden

Jayden looked around the floor and up and down the stairwell for about the thirteenth time and saw nothing more than he had the first few times. More or less nothing.

"So what am I supposed to do now, Grandpa?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 23/10/16 11:21 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

"Well nothing more to do here Shadow. Am I right in thinking that this is a narrow window of opportunity for the forces of darkness and therefore they will try to maximise their efforts? In which case we have to try and work out their next step.. or take the battle to the source. The only indication we have of either is the woods. Shall we head there?"

She looks to the more senior cat for guidance.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 23/10/16 20:08 UTC
Shadow

"Harming so many Burdens at once is no small thing. Whoever did it sees a way to get more than was used up in the process. We tracked the burdens here, found they were drawing power, but we don't know what for or where. With the Burdens here, their territory is unguarded. Could be a part of it. Woods first, see if we can find our prey."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 24/10/16 16:09 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

With a plan agreed, she makes sure she is visible and heads back into the corridor, pleased to see her burden still manning his post. She moves to him and rubs around his legs to refresh her scent marks.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 24/10/16 23:57 UTC
Jayden

Jayden squatted, grunting as his left knee popped and scratched the little cat behind her ears.

"So you decided to return and see me, Dizzy?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 25/10/16 08:41 UTC
Shadow

As was usual, he regarded the burden with undisguised contempt.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 25/10/16 12:00 UTC
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

On the other hand, she is enjoying the attention, rubbing her head on his hand. And she is pleased that he has come to no harm. Still they must make a move in a moment..
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 25/10/16 15:51 UTC
Because it is a cat's will that runs the world, nothing disturbs this moment of affection.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 29/10/16 13:24 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She can stand a lot of petting.. a lot! But there are things to be done, so a soft sigh and a full body stretch and she heads down the stairs, confident her burden will follow.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 29/10/16 15:34 UTC
Jayden

Jayden stood back erect as the cat walked off, stretching slightly side to side to ease his back.

"You have something to show me, Dizzy?"

He followed the little feline down the stairs.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 31/10/16 04:16 UTC
The hospital seemed just as busy as before, yet the burdens seemed less harried. People seemed to be more joyous as if maybe the crisis was alleviated just a little bit.

Nothing looked out of place to the cats nor Jayden, short of the occasional glimpses of his grandfather's spirit out of the corner of his eye.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 31/10/16 08:27 UTC
Shadow

They had so little context for what was in place in this strange burden complex, but the emotional radiation from the creatures did suggest things were on the up. He took to the shadows once more to avoid the crowds, since whilst the Burden belonged to Tiger-lily thus needed to see her, it was best to minimise the risk of being spotted.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 31/10/16 15:48 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She is feeling good. Valued by her burden who is showing real promise, her ward had stopped the evil that threatened the other burdens and the cats had a plan for the next phase.

It doesn't seem odd to her to be walking through this place, why should it to others?
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 18/11/16 23:40 UTC
Jayden

Following Dizzy down the stairs, he glanced around and caught a glimpse of what he could only believe as his grandfather's spirit following him.

"So... Gramps, what's up next?"

Jayden shook his head even before he received an answer, still amazed that he was believing any of the bizarre crap which was happening to him. He glanced ahead to Dizzy's semaphore like waving of her tail as she pranced down the steps.

"It all started when I found you," he grumbled.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 19/11/16 11:40 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

In a dignified fashion, she makes her way down the stairs, occasionally stopping to see if everyone is following: spirit, Shadow and burden. What a strange group they are. But maybe that is not so accidental? She ponders this thought as they progress. Maybe they all need each other?

She doesn't voice this as Shadow doesn't like this sort of thinking.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 28/11/16 19:58 UTC
The hospital seemed to be calming to Jayden's eyes. The emergency crews were not reacting to the flood of calls that they had earlier. Though they were still working. The little building was certainly full of many people who were suffering.

The cat at his feet was overlooked by most of the nurses. An occasional look showed that some noticed, but chose not to say anything.

The old spirit shrugged his twisted frame. "Got me I ain't in charge," he said almost happily.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 28/11/16 23:43 UTC
Jayden

"So who is in charge? The cats?" Jayden asked incredulously and then grimaced.

"How the hell can cats run the show?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 28/11/16 23:54 UTC
Shadow

Very softly, he murred to Tiger,

"I am getting concerned about the noises your burden is making, the emotions it radiates. I fear it may be getting close to breaking."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 29/11/16 11:51 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

"He has probably been away from his plastic box for too long. He spends many hours of the day watching it and exercising his fingers. He will be fine when we get him home."

She is pleased that she understands her burden so well. It does make life easier.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 07/12/16 03:21 UTC
The old spirit shrugged. "I ain't in charge boy. What do you want from me? As it stands I am the only reason you even know about this, which isn't a good thing, mind you. They could shred me and I would never find my wife!"

The hospital seemed better soon the ensemble had made it back to the parking lot and Jayden's car, if that is where they are headed.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 07/12/16 23:00 UTC
Jayden

"Well, I'd have to say this is the damnedest bedtime story you ever told me, Gramps, and I don't believe it much more than I did those you told me when I was ten."

Making his way back to the car, he paused before opening the door to make sure his feline troop was with him.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 08/12/16 17:11 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

As the door is opened for her, she jumps straight onto the front seat and settles down in a position where she can gain purchase for her claws if she has to hang on. She meows to Shadow.

"Come on. It will be quicker this way."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 08/12/16 17:15 UTC
Gramps

"Don't believe. DON'T BELIEVE! What kind of a nincompoop are you? I thought you had more sense than that. What do you think this is? Some kind of a fevered dream? You going to wake up on your couch and write this as your first best seller?" He gave a huff that sounded like it came from a real body, and even a sheet near by shifted, as they walked.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 08/12/16 22:38 UTC
Shadow

He slinked into the darkness of the footwell in front of the passenger seat, not replying in such close proximity to the Burden. The enclosed space made him wary, speed or no, but he could not leave the young one and her Burden by themselves given his concerns.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 09/12/16 00:08 UTC
Jayden

"I have to admit it is rather... convincing, Gramps," he said reluctantly as he fastened his seat belt and started the car.

"Maybe it's just I don't want to believe."

As he exited the parking lot and turned toward his house, Jayden reached over and lightly scratched behind Dizzy's ears.

"It's been a helluva day, girl."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 09/12/16 05:52 UTC
Gramps

Very softly the spirit said "I get that my boy. I get that."

When the little car pulled into the parking lot near the burden's domicile, it seemed like he just left it. If it were for the nagging spirit he could just see out of the corner of his eye. Jayden might be able to think it never happened.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 09/12/16 13:50 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She is silent in the metal contraption, just listens to the spirit talking with her burden.

Then they are home. She waits for her door to be opened.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 09/12/16 15:47 UTC
Jayden

"I'm hungry," he suddenly realized as he parked the car and exited the vehicle.

"C'mon Dizzy, Gramps... and whatever your name is," he said and headed for the door to his modest home.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 10/12/16 16:20 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She meows softly to Shadow as they exit the metal thing.

"Let's get some food and then slip away. We will need our strength and it will be easier for you to eat here as your burden is not around just now. And I need to check my wards before we go."

She sets off, tail high, following Jayden along the path.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 11/12/16 01:33 UTC
Shadow

Still staying in the shadows, he replied,

"I have other burdens and will need to check on them. Seek me out, or help from the others, should your burden... unravel."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 12/12/16 02:26 UTC
Shadow moves off and returns to his territory.

[OOC: Anything in particular he wants to do? Or?]

=========================
In the little domicile Jayden is able to grab some food, and to feed his new kitty.

For once the spirit of his grandfather remained quiet and unobtrusive.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 12/12/16 12:45 UTC
(Check up on his other Burdens.)
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 12/12/16 23:36 UTC
Jayden

Jayden prepared two small bowls of cat chow and, looking around, frowned to find that the other cat had... well, disappeared. He shrugged.

"Oh well, hell," he said, poured one of the bowls of cat food back into the bag and replaced it with a little milk.

"Here you go, Dizzy," he called in a voice he normally would never use - one of those herekittykitty voices he usually avoided.

"Wish you could make me some oyster stew, Gramps," he said nostalgically. "Haven't had any really good oyster stew since that last batch you made."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 13/12/16 13:54 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She rubs her head on his hand as he places the bowls and then settles in to eat. She needs to keep her strength up for what lies ahead.

It seems that her burden is still talking with the spirit which is good, though she worries about Shadow's warnings about unravelling. She is not quite sure what that means, nor if she could recognise it if it happened. She pauses for a moment, looks at Jayden, deciding. Nope, same as usual. She goes back to eating.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 14/12/16 00:06 UTC
Jaydem

After looking around to see if he could spot his spirit-grandfather, Jayden went into the other room and turned on his computer to check his emails and his news feed.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 14/12/16 06:13 UTC
Jayden can just catch the grandfather spirit out of the corner of his eye. It was much like in the hospital, though it was brighter in this room, and thus made the spirit a little harder to spot.

Grampa spirit answered had not commented on the oyster stew till now "I wish I could cook again. I miss eating," he said forlornly.

===============
DC has a good snack, which of course fills her tummy.

========================
Shadow begins to make his rounds. Soon he realizes that most of the other burdens are home and seemingly safe. His territory seems undisturbed though there is a taste on the air that makes his hair stand up, and his tail want to twitch.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 14/12/16 13:46 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

**Much better** she thinks, lifting her head not she feels contentedly fed. She sees her burden in the other room getting reacquainted with his box which she knows will have a beneficial effect on him.

Now she has to decide what to do. Does she go and find Shadow so that they can go to the woods? Does she stay and protect her burden?

First though she must go and check her wards, renewing any that are needed. That protection must be in place whatever she decides. She stands by the door and meows loudly, enforcing it with a scratching at the door. Surely he can understand that?
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 14/12/16 23:30 UTC
Jayden

Jayden glanced toward the spirit form and found he could see his grandfather's form more clearly in his peripheral vision rather than by gazing directly toward the specter.

"I bet you do," he said slowly, sadly.

"You did always love to eat."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 15/12/16 11:34 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She stands there for a moment, feeling ignored. Then she moves to the doorway of the room he is in and meows loudly.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 15/12/16 14:46 UTC
Jayden

Such a loud noise coming from such a small feline startled him and he sat upright in his desk chair.

"What's the matter, Dizzy? Didn't you get enough to eat?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 17/12/16 12:15 UTC
Dizzy

This is her home now but her burden still requires training.

She meows again and turns to head for the back door, confident that this time he will follow.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 17/12/16 14:33 UTC
Jayden

"Be back with you in a minute, Gramps," he said as he got to his feet and followed the damned cat to the back door.

"What is it now? Do you want out?"

Jayden opened the door just wide enough for her whiskers to clear.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 17/12/16 17:29 UTC
Shadow

That which does not belong needs to be sought out. He followed the scent.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 18/12/16 11:10 UTC
Dizzy

She looks up at him in approval, not that he would recognise her expression, as she trots out. She heads for the first of her wards that circle her territory - this is home now - to check all are intact.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 18/12/16 18:19 UTC
Jayden

Jayden rolled his eyes and grinned weakly at the sight of the young female feline almost prancing off into the back yard, her tail erect and waving slightly almost like a signal flag.

"Crazy damned cat," he muttered and then headed back to his computer monitor.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 18/12/16 22:54 UTC
Shadow began to follow the scent. Soon it resolved itself into that of something burnt, or burning. As he moved, he realized he was nearing the edge of his territory, in fact that smell came from another's. The old building that held ancient human things held a lone angry spirit. The burdens of course were unaware of its existence. Yet Shadow knew of the spirit and its annoyance with the feline populace. It had long been a tense truce, leave it alone, and it would leave them alone. It was also a spirit that dealt in fire.

===============
Tiger's wards were indeed still intact. A small nudge here, and a bit of cleaning there, just to maintain them in working order. That completed though, she was free to go and do whatever it was she wished.

=======================
Jayden sat down in front of the glowing monitor. Today would be that famed day, well night anyway. It was All Hallows Even, when children dressed as monsters and pranced about town looking for sugary treats. Yet this Halloween seemed just a little different, maybe because of the old ghost watching him.
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 18/12/16 23:44 UTC
Jayden

Jayden had always thought of Halloween as being something just for kids... perhaps derived from some old superstition or arcane religion, but nothing really serious.

Now he was not sure.

Not sure of many things that had happened lately.

He turned and used his peripheral vision to get a glimpse of his spirit grandfather who seemed to glow slightly in the growing dimness of the room.

"Tell me what's going on, Gramps," he said reluctantly.

"And what those damned cats have to do with it."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 19/12/16 01:40 UTC
Shadow

There was a truce, but a violation of that truce such as harm towards Burdens could well be worth getting his claws out. Besides, given this was adjacent to what was His, expanding territory might well be in order.

He followed the scent to see what was going on...
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 17/01/17 13:54 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She looks at the house.. her new home. Her burden is as safe as she can make him just now. She is already outside, free from observation. Time to do what she is here for.

She takes a moment to look at her home and to remind herself of all the things it means to her, safety, love, food, shelter, companionship.. and then turns away, ready to fight to protect it.

She goes off in search of Shadow.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 19/01/17 04:03 UTC
Jayden didn't get an answer for a long while. The spirit was still visible out of the corner of his eye. Though he could see it more clearly than when in the hospital. It was almost as if he was becoming more accustomed to being able to see the ghost.

Out of the blew his tired old voice says "I don't rightly know all the particulars. I ain't kiddin that my telling you this could get me, banished I guess is the right word. It could even get you killed. You sure you want that boy?"

================================
Tiger locates Shadow moving across and along the edge of his domain. As she approaches, she smells something odd, something different and out of place. Shadow spots Tiger as well.

The building they approached was about the size of a burden dwelling. But the cats knew that wasn't what the place was used for anymore. They also knew the burning spirit that inhabited the place. Normally it kept to itself, but it was an angry spirit. The cats had long come to terms with the fact that they couldn't banish it. The spirit was too strong. But it kept to itself and stayed within the building.

This time it was different. The building itself looked as if fire had scorched it.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 19/01/17 13:28 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She sniffs at the air. Not a smell she likes but one she recognises. In her previous home there was a place with lots of animals. The Burden there often made fire. Of course being new to the area she has no idea that a spirit is involved.

"Hi Shadow. Can I help?"
Posted By: Exeter Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 19/01/17 23:21 UTC
Jayden

Jayden cocked his head to one side and gave the spirit of his grandfather an incredulous look.

"Kill me? Who would it be who would think me so dangerous that they would need me eliminated?"

"And how crazy would they have to be to think that?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 20/01/17 02:53 UTC
Shadow

The ginger tom looked down at the young cat in more ways than one, but the twitch of his tail revealed his concern.

"You might. A powerful spirit of fire in that Burden place. There is a truce between it and the true people, but if that smell isn't raising your hackles already, it should. If it has broken the truce, we will need to deal with it, and it's strong enough to give me pause."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 20/01/17 13:59 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

"Could two of us deal with it.. if it comes to that?"

She thinks for a moment.

"And is there any way we can find out if the spirit has broken the truce? It might be something else, might even be connected to the other things happening around here."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 20/01/17 17:25 UTC
Shadow

"If it comes to that? We find out if we can. As for seeing if it broke the truce, we ask. We go, we see. We leave when there is peace."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sat 21/01/17 19:53 UTC
The old spirit answered him. "The cats. Prior to tonight what did you think of the world?" Though phrased like a question, it clearly wasn't one. "You didn't know spirits existed. You didn't know that cats held the keys to the city and everything else. You didn't know a lot of things. The more you know, the more of a threat you could pose. That is what could get you killed boy. That is what I am asking. If I answer your questions, now that you know the risk, do you still want me to?"

===============================

The building that the burdens would call a museum is the domicile to the spirit. It was a caretaker and guardian to the building, though it was angry too. It wouldn't take kindly to their interruption of whatever it was doing. Shadow knew that.

Yet they had to find out what was going on.

Getting closer they saw the building was still fine, it wasn't smoking, nor burned. Yet they could see the spirit moving about inside.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 22/01/17 12:26 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She trusts that Shadow knows what he is doing. He is older than her and has been in this area for a time.

"Do we call it out.. or go in to talk to it?"
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Sun 22/01/17 20:34 UTC
Shadow

That, at least, was straightforward: The question of staying out or going in had long been resolved for catkind.

"We go to the threshold and meow, asking to be let in."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 23/01/17 15:15 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

"OK. Should we take any precautions at this stage? There are defences I.. and I guess you.. can put in place."

Best ask these questions now rather than when it is too late.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 23/01/17 15:38 UTC
Shadow

"The truce goes both ways: We cannot afford to be the ones to break it ourselves. Be ready if it becomes necessary, but warding off the place is not an option until we know where each side stands."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Tue 24/01/17 15:44 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She indicates her understanding and moves to stand by Shadow ready to move forward when he does.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 25/01/17 03:09 UTC
Shadow

And so, the cats prowl towards the threshold of the building...
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 25/01/17 18:28 UTC
As the cats get closer, their sensative little noses are assaulted by all the smells of fire. Though there is no obvious sign of damage, their senses are telling them something different.

As they arrive at the threshold, they note that the spirit is more present, more real than Shadow can remember it being. Soon if it continues to change, it will be visible to burdens.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 25/01/17 23:45 UTC
Shadow

In a truly magnanimous and munificent gesture, the wiry ginger tom actually acknowledged the presence of the spirit.

"Hello there. Something seems different about you."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 26/01/17 18:15 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

Direct.. but that can work. Certainly doesn't waste time. She stands by Shadow, content for him to lead. This is his area.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 08/02/17 20:50 UTC
The spirit seemed incensed, but turns towards Shadow and says in an angry tone "I burn." It might seem that was enough as the spirit stopped speaking for a moment, but then in a hiss of flame it continued "this night all things can mingle with all things. It is the way of things." The voice was less angry there for just a moment.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 09/02/17 08:44 UTC
Shadow

The wiry ginger tom pondered his chances, weighed the spirit's words. On balance, careful speaking was still needed here.

"It is the way of things, you speak the truth. Our truce still holds? Has something roused your anger nearby?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Thu 09/02/17 13:34 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She watches, ready to react if necessary but happy to let Shadow lead. She can feel the tension.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 10/02/17 18:38 UTC
The spirit crackled and hissed, though it made no answer immediately. It didn't stop staring at the cats though. Finally it said "the truce still stands. This is but one night." Silence continued "something has taken advantage of this night to make mayhem. Power is being shifted from some to another. Something greater this way comes."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 10/02/17 20:48 UTC
Shadow

He looked to his fellow cat, ears twitching. It sounded very much like what they had witnessed at the place the Burdens were taken.

"Can you sense where the power transfer is going on?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 10/02/17 22:10 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

She shared the glance with Shadow. It is a knowing glance. They both saw what happened in that large place the burdens were taken. They had disrupted that, this might give them another direction.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 13/02/17 02:26 UTC
The spirit crackled and hissed. "What do I get for this information, guardian?" The spirit bargained.
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 13/02/17 08:47 UTC
Shadow

"Like for like. We will tell you of another place where the power transfer was taking place earlier."
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 15/02/17 00:46 UTC
The spirit crackled and hissed "fair." It continued to pace and offered "I sense a disturbance in the hills, near the old hole in the ground."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 15/02/17 01:11 UTC
Shadow

Good enough to leap from, at least. He upheld his part of the bargain.

"We found one in the place where the hurt burdens are taken, a spirit drawing out life energy high up within. Sealing it away stopped it."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Wed 15/02/17 15:29 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

As Shadow converses, she thinks about the location they have been given - old hole in the ground in the hills. She tries to recollect if she has ever seen such a place.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 20/02/17 06:41 UTC
Tiger doesn't remember a location like that, though she knows the direction to go. She had ridden there with her burden when they had found the dead boy.

The spirit crackled for a while. Eventually it said "dangerous, something dangerous is going on. Be aware guardian. It is by no means done. The mid of darkness will be the best time for things to cross over."
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 20/02/17 08:40 UTC
Shadow

He bristled slightly at the implication that they might be lax in their vigilance or unaware of the time of easy crossing, but now was not the time to make an issue of it.

"We remain alert. We will track down these disturbances."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Mon 20/02/17 14:46 UTC
Dizzy/Tiger-Lily

"So, to the woods then?"

She whispers to Shadow with a nose-tip to tail stretch in readiness.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 24/02/17 03:28 UTC
If their ride to the woods earlier had been in indication, they might need the help of Tiger's burden.

Where do the cats go?
Posted By: AJ Re: OHAE: The Walls Come Down - Fri 24/02/17 11:16 UTC
Shadow

"To the woods," he agreed.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post