DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Neptune N-2.0 - Phandalin - Fri 28/11/14 20:21 UTC
Sildar
After they had exited the caves, the man you rescued, Grunden's companion, collapses next to the stream which he drinks from thirstily. He then crawls over to the nearest tree and leans back on it's trunk. He is clearly exhausted, shows signs of being beaten and is now barely clinging to life.

When Kriv and Jaliera come over, he sits up. He is of middle years, hair more gray than black. He rises slowly and extends a hand in greeting.

"I don't think we were formally introduced the last time we briefly met in Neverwinter. I am Sildar Hallwinter, former officer in the Gryphon Cavalry of Waterdeep. My thanks for the rescue."

You have heard of the Gryphon Cavelry. It's a famous, elite force from Waterdeep. Even through his clearly battered state you can tell he holds himself with a military bearing.

"You asked many questions. I will try and answer them. First, I do not know where the Cragmaw Castle is. I do believe that Grunden was taken there. I am sorry. Perhaps we can find it together?"

You have several things to deal with.

• I'll take care of healing, you'll get an extended rest so we'll be at 100%.
  • Administratively, if you have not picked a "faction" please either do so or note the following: "Not associated with a faction".
  • You should continue to learn what you can from Sildar
  • You need to get back to your wagon and supplies.
  • Decide where to go next and when.

Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 30/11/14 12:08 UTC
Jaliera

"Well if we do not know where this castle is, perhaps we can deliver Grunden's goods and find the information out there? There will be people to ask and places of learning where we might research."

She looks around at the others.

"Maybe leaving the immediate vicinity, finding the wagon and making camp should be first on our list? A hot meal and some well earned rest would not go amiss for any of us."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 30/11/14 12:18 UTC
(Would History help with info on the castle?)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 30/11/14 14:15 UTC
Sildar

"Phandalin. That is where Grunden and I were headed. Yes, perhaps there."

I'm going to let you squeeze some of this out of Sildar the old fashioned way, by asking questions. There is much to ask. You still know little about what's going on.

But yes, history might get you some info. Please roll. Oh, and going forward, if you remember, provide me with a roll if you ask. More likely than not the answer will be yes.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 30/11/14 21:19 UTC
Chandan

"Yes. We should not put wagon before the ox." He says in agreement with the girl, Jaliera.

He's feeling ready for a sit down and a brew too.

"This Grol is King of who or what?" He asks aloud.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 30/11/14 21:37 UTC
Kallista

"Yes", she agrees with Jaliera. "Let's get the wagon and get on the road before those Goblins gather enough courage to try to snipe at us from the woods. Let Chandan and Sildar ride in back."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 30/11/14 23:01 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn stood in uffish thought, trying to recall anything about Cragmaw Keep, its history or lineage. Within the Lord's Alliance, and growing up in Norixius Keep, such knowledge was an essential part of the curriculum.

Kriv And if, you know, your history...
AJ rolled 1d20+4 and got 14
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 01/12/14 00:23 UTC
Kriv knows that the name Cragmaw Keep cannot be an original name. It is a goblin name and goblins don't build keeps and castles.

Also, while you've picked a faction to belong to, you'll get to role play joining them. Maybe Kriv will meet a grizzled veteran of an elite fighting team of the Lord's Alliance somewhere that brings him into the faction. grin
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 01/12/14 13:06 UTC
Jaliera

She starts to head towards where they left the wagon as they seem to be agreed at least to their immediate course of action. She continues to talk to Sildar.

"Why did the goblins take Grundren to this keep but not you? And what information were they trying to get out of you?"

Her tone is just one of curiosity.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 01/12/14 16:06 UTC
Sildar

"Well, maybe if I tell the whole story it might help."

"I met Grundren Rockseeker in Neverwinter and that's where I agreed to accompany him back to Phandalin. I had my own business there and so it made sense."

"Grundren is one of three brothers. Tharden and Nundro are the other two. They recently located an entrance to the long-lost Wave Echo Cave, the site of the mines of the Phandelver's Pact. You probably don't know much about that so let me share."

"More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wonderous cavern known as the Wave Echo Cave. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge called the Forge of Spells, where magic items could be crafted. Times wer good, and the nearby human town of Phandelin propered as well. But then disaster struch when orcs swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path."

"A powerful force of orces reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked Wave Echo Cave to seize its riches and magic treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing spell battled destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Wave Echo Cave was lost."

"Klarg, the bugbear that you killed, had orders to waylay Grundren. I heard from the goblins that the "Black Spider" sent word that the dwarf was to be brought to him. I know your next question and I'm sorry, I don't know any more about this Black Spider."

"What I do know is that Grunden had a map showing the secret location of Wave Echo cave, but the goblins took it when they captured us. I believe that Klarg sent the map and the dwarf to the chief of the Cragmaw's at a place called Cragmaw Castle."

"I have a contact in Phandalin that I want to find. I intend to continue on to there. It's not far."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 02/12/14 07:04 UTC
Davroar

Listening to the others while walking with everyone back to their wagon, he asks, "Why would they take Gundren? If they already got the map to find the missing cave..."

It seems to him that this Black Spider goal is to find the Wave Echo cave. Why they need Gundren is still a mystery, yet hopefully that means Gundren will still be alive if they can reach him in time before his usefulness ends.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 02/12/14 13:43 UTC
Jaliera

"That's interesting."

She is thinking that her mentor would want to know about it.

"Let's hope that the map is not obvious. If they can't decipher it then they have a reason to keep Grundren alive."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 03/12/14 15:22 UTC
Sildar

"I don't know why they wanted Gundren alive but I am going to Phandalin and could really use the company. There's safety in numbers and the roads are not safe. I don't have any gold now but I'll pay you each ten gold pieces to accompany me there. I know that I can secure a loan in Phandalin. Does anyone here have a spare sword that I can borrow for the trip?"

ooc: I've given you all time to ask Sildar questions but judging from the noise of crickets it seems the best approach is to move forward. I'll give you one more day to wrap things up here and then we'll move on.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 03/12/14 16:52 UTC
Kallista

Pausing as they pass the grove outside the cave on their way back to the wagon, she picks up a discarded scimitar and shield from one of the dead Goblins and hands them to Sildar.

"Here you go. Might as well put them to good use."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 03/12/14 18:25 UTC
Sildar

"Thank you. This will work quite well for now," he says after cutting the air with several slashing maneuvers.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 03/12/14 18:38 UTC
Chandan

"To Phandalin I will go. Save your gold, buy me drink!" Says the old man, ambling along the trail.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 03/12/14 19:21 UTC
Kriv

"A thought: We may not know where Cragmaw Keep is, but that lot in there do. Shall we acquire a vermin guide that we may be better prepared to rescue Gundren? Every day we delay is another day for him to crack and for the location of wave echo cave to fall into the wrong hands."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 03/12/14 22:27 UTC
Sildar

"I would have suggested that if I believed it to be true" he says to Kriv. "Honestly, I would rather we disposed of them all, they are just going to do what goblins do and that is to cause trouble. But alas, you struck a bargain with them for me and your friend there. These goblins don't know about the castle, of that I'm sure. I heard them talk and they're lucky they know how to find this place."

"As for your concern about time, I am in agreement. Gundren may already be dead and the goblins might have found the cave. That, however, wouldn't stop me from trying to take the place back!"
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 03/12/14 23:00 UTC
Karok

He grunted in agreement.

"Wasn't fond of leaving them breathing meself. But we was hurting and not in a good position. If they was smarter we wouldn't be having this talk. So I guess we did well."

"I'm with you as far as Gundren. I have to check even if someone tells me he's dead. Won't be stoppin' until I see the body." he said determinedly.

"Sounds like the sooner we get o Phandalin the better."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 04/12/14 08:23 UTC
Davroar

"Once we get to Phandalin, we should at least let the locals know the location of these goblins. If they have enough men, perhaps they can finish the job here."

Davroar would like it better knowing that future ambushes from these goblins would end.

"Sildar, do you know where Gundren's brothers are?"

If they are close, Davroar wonders if perhaps they could send additional help.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 04/12/14 12:52 UTC
Sildar

"That too I don't know but since Gundren and I were headed for Phandelin, I have to assume that they were going to meet up there or somewhere close."

By this time you have reached the supply wagon. You unleash the oxen and begin the trek towards your destination.

OOC - OK, we're moving forward now, trying to catch up with the group in Zeim's game. They're a bit ahead.

Note that while you've picked a faction to belong to, you'll get to role play joining them. So please make sure it is marked on your sheet if you have chosen one, or if not put "Faction: None".)

You are all relieved as there are no more encounters along the route to Phandalin, and you have all had the chance to take a Long Rest so everyone is back to full, with all their Powers.

The rutted track you have been following emerges from a wooded hillside, and you catch your first glimpse of Phandalin. The town consists of forty or fifty simple log buildings, some built on old fieldstone foundations. More old ruins -- crumbling stone walls covered in ivy and briars -- surround the newer houses and shops, showing how this must have been a much larger town in centuries past. Most of the newer buildings are set on the sides of the cart track, which widens into a muddy main street of sorts as it climbs toward a ruined manor house on a hillside at the est side of town.

As you approach, you see children playing on the town green and townsfolk tending to chores or running errands at shops. Many people look up as you approach, but all return to their business as you go by.

Sildar seems much more at ease. "My friends," he says, "let us secure lodgings. I am told the local inn is very quaint."

It is late in the day, the late afternoon sun approaching sunset in less than an hour.

You are entering town from the North (top middle of map) where the label says "To Triboar Trail". The town green is marked as well as the roads and trails into and out of town.

The labels on the map were removed and replaced them with numbers for reference. Where would you would like to go? Sildar has never been here either so other than his comment about hearing a rumour the inn is "quaint" he can't give you any pointers.

Attached File
Phandalin-1.jpg  (7 downloads)
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 04/12/14 13:25 UTC
Jaliera

Her spirits have risen during the journey. The memories of the injuries are fading, the cuts and bruises healed and overall she now feels that they did quite well. Maybe she can make a go of this life after all.

"Let's head for the centre. That will give us more of an idea of what's where and likely people to talk to also."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 04/12/14 15:25 UTC
OOC: Just some more tidbits.

While you weren't able to gather Gundren's supplies, you do have the wagon with its supplies that needs to be delivered. See this post to jog your memory.

While the last chapter was pretty much hack-n-slash, we shift gears here in town to gather information and roleplay. The module, from this point on, is not linear and I hope to live by that. This group may decide to go to one place after Phandalin and Zeim's group could be going elsewhere. That could be perilous if you end up skipping ahead but death has always been a crucial part of D&D weg

I'll be double-checking to make sure that everyone has gone up to 2nd level. If you need more time or assistance, let me know. Since skills are going to be important, I want to make sure that yours are correct. And since you are going up a level, you are entitled to change your PC if there's something you've learned isn't working for you. According to Adventurer League rules, the ONLY thing you must keep is your name. So, as an example, Chandan, the human monk could now become a female elven sorcerer. Let me know what you change.

You can also decide to split up here but again, be cautious. There are dangers. If I seem to be gently nudging you in a direction it'll be because I think you're getting into a heap of trouble. So far you've been really good at that wink

It's time to focus a bit on your associations with factions. Read up on them and take advantage of the opportunities to actually join the factions now. When we started the module these were intentions. Now it's time to develop the relationships that actually make that happen. It may pay to refresh your memory about these factions.

Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 06/12/14 13:28 UTC
DM

So, following Jaliera's suggestion, the group decides to take the wagon along the main road and see what they can see of the town from closer up.

Riding and walking ahead, you see the first large building you come to with a red slate roof has a sign hanging out front with the name "Barthen's Provisions" on it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 06/12/14 16:57 UTC
Chandan

He shambles into the village, spear over his shoulder and a bindle tied to its haft.

Sildar's idea about visiting the local inn sounds very agreeable to him. Since coming down out of the mountains, he's found inns, taverns, bars, alehouses, beer gardens, and dance halls to be most envigorating places.

And as he recalls it, Sildar owes him a drink.

He brushes off his brightly coloured silk scarf, seemingly ignorant of the rest of his filthy, dishevelled appearance.

"Yes. We should refresh our bodies and minds." He says in agreement with the old guard.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 07/12/14 07:10 UTC
Davroar

He looks towards the red roofed building and says, "Ah, we made it." Gundren wanted the supplies delivered to Barthen's, so Davroar will walk up to see if the place is open and find the proprietor for instructions on unloading the supplies.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 08/12/14 12:41 UTC
DM

Having decided to take care of the job you were hired for first, before looking around any further, you park the wagon outside the building marked "Barthen's Provisions". Across the road you can see smoke and heat from a very hot fire flowing up from a chimney of an "L" shaped building, that you recognize as being typical of a Smithy.

Those who were riding on the wagon hop down and as a group you enter the large building. Immediately you can see it is indeed what it's sign proclaims, a Trading Post. The interior is filled with shelves and rows of tables filled with all sorts of mundane items. Rope, backpacks, bedrolls, trail rations, empty waterskins, and any other type of normal supplies you can imagine other than weapons or armour.

Behind a large counter running along the far wall is a lean, balding human male of middle age. As you enter he is just finishing saying something to two young men who look like clerks and pointing with his thumb towards a door that presumably leads to the back of the shop. The men nod their heads and hurry off thru the door.

As he turns back he notices you for the first time. "Welcome to Barthen's Provisions", he says with a smile. "I don't recall seeing you before. You must be new to town. Can I help you?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 08/12/14 13:09 UTC
Jaliera

Her confidence having grown somewhat since they had set out on this venture she is comfortable in reponding.

"We have a delivery for you from Grundren.. and I believe you have payment for us?"

She remembers Grundren promised them an extra 10 gp on delivery,
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 08/12/14 18:22 UTC
DM

"Ah", he smiles. "Let's go take a look then. Is the wagon outside?"

Just about then the two clerks come back in from the back. One moves behind the counter and the other comes over towards you as you look around. "Anything I can help you with?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 08/12/14 18:48 UTC
Karok

He follows along but waits outside with the wagon. While in town, he'd like to see if there is a place for those who follow his order. They may well be a source of aid or at least information.

[ooc: I guess we have to wander the town to find the legend for the map? Also, I'm not sure how the order works. Like if they'd have a place with their symbol showing or if he'd need to go to a church or something to ask?]
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 08/12/14 18:52 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn regarded the clerk thoughtfully, and enquired,

"Are there any old castles, fallen into disuse, not too far from the town?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 08/12/14 20:51 UTC
OOC: Answering Nivek's really good question (posed as an "I guess..."

I'll start by taking responsibility and some in-advance blame. I'm not the most roleplay-ish type of roleplayer myself. Chit-chat and mundane tasks normally make me squeamish. That's because my ADHD kicks in. This chapter of the module, however, is geared to all of you who would like to strike up conversations with the locals.

So, to help you all along, consider the situation. You rode into town with goods to sell. You really didn't bother to talk to Sildar that much and he's still with you all and maybe you should have talked more with him. I wonder if he could be a member of any faction? Let's see, he described himself
"I am Sildar Hallwinter, former officer in the Gryphon Cavalry of Waterdeep" and I gave up the fact that you have heard of the Gryphon Cavelry. It's a famous, elite force from Waterdeep. Even through his clearly battered state you can tell he holds himself with a military bearing. Does this sound like some random fellow or an important NPC?

Also, you're in a town you've never been in before. What are your plans? Drop off the goods and then what? Where do you go for information? Rumors? Orders? What's going on in town? Obviously Barthan (this shopkeeper) knew Gundren. What else does he know?

As for finding people with similar beliefs, during the seemingly random chit-chats you might want to bring up philosophical discussions, to at least roleplay your perspective. That will give your NPC's a chance to figure out that you're worthy of being recruited.

I'm uploading a new town map. This one with labels. Maybe it'll help you.

Attached File
phandalin.jpg  (11 downloads)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 08/12/14 20:55 UTC
Clerk

The clerk looked a bit intimidated as the dragonborn approached. Then, after he realized there was no trouble, he relaxed.

"No sir, but I have not ventured out of town and do not know of such things."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 08/12/14 22:11 UTC
Chandan

He watches the cart being delivered from the shop. He's found shopkeepers to be often distressed by his presence in their place of business. Chandan is a good hearted fellow, so stays away. (He's yet to find anything of interest in a shop anyway.)

So the wizened monk walks along with Sildar for the most part, acutely aware that the old soldier had suggested a spell at the local drinking establishment.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 07:58 UTC
Davroar

He takes up the clerk's offer to help and says, "Ran into some trouble traveling here."

Davroar takes off his fur/hide armour jacket and pokes three fingers through two slices in it.

"Can you fix this or is there someone here who can?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 11:45 UTC
Barthen

The shopkeeper steps out with Jaliera and looks over the goods.

"Yes. Everything looks in order. I'll get Ander and Thistle to unload the stuff and put it away for Gundren. I expect that he'll find everything in order when he arrives to claim it. Come inside and I'll pay you."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 11:51 UTC
Sildar

The grizzled fighter is waiting outside, standing near the monk, waiting for the transaction to be completed. Jaliera is taking care of that matter so he is thankful for the company.

"I'm looking forward to a hot bath, a warm mean and a cold drink, perhaps in a different order. Spending time in the company of goblins was not on my itinerary," he says to Chandan.

"What is your story, old man. That pretty brave of you back there in the caverns. I don't know exactly what transpired, but it appeared to me that you let yourself get caught to preoccupy the goblins so that your companions would have an easier time dealing with them."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 11:56 UTC
Ander the Clerk

The youngster was glad to be speaking to the human, unsure as he was about the dragonborn. "Yes sir, I might be able to mend this myself, given some time. Can you leave it for a day?" he replies to Davroar.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 15:45 UTC
Jaliera

She smiles at Barthen. This is easier than she thought. She might want to say something about Grundren too but without scaring anyone.

"Grundren has been detained by other business but I'm sure he'll be back here at some point."

She follows him inside to claim their payment.

"Did he say when he intended to arrive?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 15:56 UTC
Barthen

"I assume it will be soon, maybe today. I haven't seen him in quite a while and his brothers in over a tenday. They surely need to resupply any day now."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 16:02 UTC
Jaliera

"Was he with his brother's when you saw him last? We'd like to talk to them if possible."

She doubts the shopkeeper knows very much but she can try to find out what she can.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 16:48 UTC
Barthen

"Yes, but that was before he left to get supplies. His brothers are camped somewhere outside of time as best I know."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 17:14 UTC
Jaliera

"Outside of town?"

She seeks to confirm her information, fairly sure she didn't hear him correctly the first time.

"Any idea where? Or who might know?"

Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 17:31 UTC
Barthen

"Yes. Outside of town. I wouldn't know where though. I guess they didn't trust being in town with the Redbrands making life tough for everyone."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 09/12/14 19:19 UTC
Chandan

"Remove one goblin with a spear or remove four by surrendering. Sometimes not fighting is more potent a weapon than fighting." Chandan explains.

"Though... I do not think it would have worked so well with men. We are more callous than cruel."

He watches the villagers around him, winding up their day's affairs. He finds it very agreeable and smiles at the rustic scene, though he isn't one for such a life himself.

"I have taken vows of poverty and humility. So I can only bath in natural waters and eat and drink what is freely offered.

"So I give you my 10 gold and you buy me drinks." He says with a beautific smile.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 10/12/14 07:09 UTC
Davroar

"That will be okay", he replies to the clerk with a smile and leaves his armour for him to fix. Hopefully they will be staying here long enough for it to be mended.

He turns back to Barthen as he walks back into his store, and over hearing he asks, "Who are the Redbrands?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 10/12/14 12:02 UTC
Jaliera

She turns and smiles at Davroar, liking the young man quite a lot, their shared experiences strengthening her feelings. And they obviously think in a similar way as she had just been about to ask that question.

She turns back to the shopkeeper to listen to his response.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 10/12/14 13:24 UTC
Barthan

Now back inside (so Davroar could actually hear the conversation), the shopkeeper replies with a deep sigh, "Trouble. That's what they are. When bad people start working together to do bad things it spells trouble and that's what they are. They are making life difficult in Phandelin. They shake down local businesses and they flout the townmaster's authority."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 10/12/14 13:32 UTC
Sildar

The fighter laughs at what Chandan said, "That is the first time that someone offered me coin to buy them a drink. I shall take you up on that offer. And let me say that the water at the Inn is brought in by barrels every day from a stream outside of town. It is 'natural water' and it will wash away the stink of goblin. I am eager to bathe and I am sure that you are too."

He crinkles his nose as he says that.
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 10/12/14 18:00 UTC
Karok

Once there is nothing to guard with the wagon he decides to move on and see what he can find.

"I'll meet up with you at the inn, you mentioned. I'm off to see if there is some kind of temple or barracks here. Either might give me a chance to learn something. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a band of me kin looking for adventure." he said with a throaty laugh.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 02:40 UTC
DM

Barthan's Provisions was on the left side of the street as Karok begins walking down it. He passes two homes on the left and notes the smithy on his right, but he keeps walking. The next building on the left is the Stonehill Inn. That's where he's going to meet up with the others for a drink and to find lodging.

But his destination now is the Shrine of Luck, the only temple in town. It is not much more than a small shrine made of stones. It is dedicated to Tymora, the goddess of luck and good fortune.

A young female elf is tending to the shrine. She spots Karok at her threshhold and greets the dwarf, "Welcome! Who has Lady Luck led to Phandelin?"
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 06:16 UTC
Davroar

Having lived his entire life in the wilds with his clan, he is unfamiliar with street gangs and their motives. He was only taken to the trading city of Bildoobaris twice before leaving his family with his mentor to become a druid.

With a bit of a confused look he asks Barthan, "What do mean by shake down?"

He also looks to Jaliera in perhaps she knows more about bad city people. By the sounds of it, Davroar guesses this place is much too small for one to live off others without being productive, but he could wrong.

Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 11:59 UTC
Jaliera

She responds to Davroar's questioning look.

"It means this group are forcing traders to pay them money. Usually they call it protection.. but they do little in return as generally any threat to the goods or reputation of the business comes from themselves."

She had learned about this during her association with the thieves and is always thankful to her mentor for giving her an alternative to that life.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 13:06 UTC
Barthan

"Yes. That about sums it up."

At the same time he starts counting out the coins that the party had been promised for delivery of the supplies.

"Thank you for doing this. I'm sure Gundren appreciates this. It seems like this was a rather easy job."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 18:35 UTC
Chandan

"A perfumed misdeed lingers longer and fouler, than a reeking but noble deed." Replies the old greybeard.

He pulls his many layered but threadbare robes tighter, looking out at the dusky horizon. It is getting time to settle in for the night.

Still, he chats quietly with Sildar as he walks.

"Sildar of the Griffon Cavalry, hmm? Of Waterdeep.

"I have not seen your great city, but have heard talk of its eminence and of its winged regiments.

"I'd not have thought one of its retired officers would need sell his sword in the provinces. So I wonder what brings you here?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 19:50 UTC
Karok

He bowed his head to the elf.

"Good day lass. I be Karok Battlehammer. I come to tithe to your temple and inquire of news." he said his shield clearly showing the symbol of his God Torm.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 20:56 UTC
Sister Gareale

She points to a basin at the altar which is under a large gold painted disc in the form of a coin. That, Karok understands, is where tithes would go.

"May fortune be with you and luck be on your side. I am sister Gareale, priestess of Tymora. I am certainly pleased to meet a fellow cleric. I admire your bold approach, Karok Battlehammer, priest of Torm. Not everyone has the courage to be so direct. What news, specifically, are you interested in?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 21:01 UTC
Karok

He took out a gold coin and dropped it in the basin.

"Bah, I have no time for politics, and games of unnecessary courtesy. Me way has always been to go straight to the front." he said with a smile.

"Me friend and I be looking for one of me kind. A dwarf by the name of Gundren. He has been taken by some Goblins so now we seek a place called Cragmaw Keep. But in all me travels, I've never heard of such a place."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 21:24 UTC
Sister Gareale

"Ah, but games are the spice of life! But not everyone shares my opinions. That is fine. I have not heard of this dwarf or of this Cragmaw Keep, but I do not hear everything that occurs in this town."

"My advice to you would be to venture to the inn across the way. That is a place where rumors flow. Take your chance's there and the odds are in your favor that you'll gain the information that you seek."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 21:29 UTC
Sildar

"If that reference about a reeking but noble deed is about me, let me assure you that I will tend to the stench once I've secured lodging at the inn. I am not a sell-sword but on occasion I will earn some coin taking on certain jobs."

They were at the threshhold of the inn. The pair spot Karok a short distance away at the shrine to Tymora where he's speaking to the priestess there.
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 11/12/14 23:51 UTC
Karok

He was not slow of wit and while he did not play the games that others did he understood what she was telling him.

"Torm's blessing on you good lady." he said respectfully, bowing his head again as he left, heading for the inn.

It was a good destination for many reasons, not the least of which was his desire for strong ale.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 12/12/14 03:21 UTC
DM

As Karok leaves the shrine, Sister Gareale says to him "If I hear any information that would be of value to you, I will make sure to pass it on to you. And may Lady Luck favor you."
Please provide me with an insight roll.

He arrives at the Stonehill Inn at almost at the same time as Chandan and Sildar. It sits in the center of town, a large, newly built roadhouse of fieldstone and rough-hewn timbers. The common room is filled with locals nursing mugs of ale or cider, all of them eyeing the three people walking through the door with curiosity.

Sildar excuses himself and heads directly for the bar where he quickly identifies someone to talk to. It seems to be the proprietor. The man hands Sildar a brass key which he pockets.

Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 12/12/14 04:52 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn noble looks for the local seat of authority: Better to start at the top and work down, after all.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 12/12/14 07:49 UTC
Davroar

"There is no honor in that", he says to both Jaliera and Barthan after learning exactly what these Redbrands are doing. Silently he wonders if the townsfolk outnumber these Redbrands, and why do they not simply drive them out. Obviously there is more to town life than he currently understands, but he does know from his young barbarian life that power is given not demanded among ones own people.

He would like to tell Barthan and his fellow tradesmen to get a backbone, but saying something like that from a young man like himself, and as an outsider as well, would probably not be the smart thing to do.

When Barthan hands him his share of coin, he gives the older man a thankful handshake and says, "Aside from the goblin attack, it was an easy trip. Thanks."

Pocketing his coins, he gives Jaliera a smile and asks, "Was everyone going to the inn?"

Davroar would like to put his feet up by a warm fire and have a good meal for a nice change, although he feels the wilderness calling him stronger than before. The inn might be a good place to find a ranger or hunter that knows the surrounding area. A warm bed suddenly is not so desirable for tonight.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 12/12/14 12:40 UTC
Chandan

There is perhaps more to the grisled veteran, Sildar, than meets the eye. Though the same could be said of most adventurers in the wilds.

Chandan nods to Karok the Dwarf.

"Ah, you did not tarry long at the temple, Karok.

"Sildar here is just obtaining lodgings. Perhaps you should do likewise?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 12/12/14 13:00 UTC
Karok

"Aye, I just paid my respects to the local shrine." he regarded the human not sure what to make of him.

"There be time for that. And if I can't then the outdoors will suit me fine. Spent many a night outside an inn."

Insight roll from Shrine
Karok rolls d20+5 (Wis+Proficiency) = 15
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 12/12/14 14:27 UTC
Kallista

Taking her share of the payment for bringing the wagon to Bathen's she turns to Jaliera, Davroar and Kriv, the only other left in the shop and says, "Shall we head to the inn? I for one could use to sit for a little while with a nice ale in hand. Not to mention making arrangement for a room."

She turns to walk out the door and turn up the street, pausing to see if Jaliera, Davroar and Kriv are with her.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 12/12/14 15:16 UTC
DM

As Karok walked away from Sister Gareale he got the feeling that she was genuine and being truthful about not having answers to his questions. He also sensed that she was studying him, judging him. Although his dealings with her at the moment were done, he had the feeling that he might have dealings with her later.

Back at Barthan's, payments were made and the group was getting ready to leave. Most wanted to head to the inn to secure lodgings and perhaps quench their thirst and fill their bellies. The dragonborn, however, was interested in seeking out the local authorities. In Kriv's mind it was time to get answers, but he did not know where to find that person. He could either wander around town or ask for direction.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 12/12/14 22:42 UTC
Kriv

This was a matter for deduction: A town was, amongst other things, a defensible position. The seat of power doubly so. He turned his substantial intellect to the problem at hand: View this place through the eyes of an attacker, and a defender. Were there town walls? Evidence of them, certainly, but they did not seem to be in good repair. A raised fortification, a keep upon a motte? There was a strong candidate on the hill to the east, but again, it seemed a ruin.

An attacker would have a field day here. So, two strong possibilities for the seat of power. Close to the centre, for the people to gather at a defensible point, or close to the roads out, for a swift escape. The wealth of the town had to be going somewhere and it certainly wasn't going on protecting the people, so ostentation, the use of wealth which only those in charge could truly exercise.

He went about the matter logically, cataloguing the largest buildings, the priciest decor, starting at the town centre and looking out along each of the main throughfares to get a good feel for the place and the likely candidates.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 13/12/14 15:14 UTC
DM

Jaliera, Davroar, Kalista and Kriv all leave Barthan's Provisions at about the same time. They turn right which takes them deeper into the center of the town. they pass the smithy on their right across from a few homes on their left. A bit further along is a newly built roadhouse of fieldstone and rough-hewn timbers. A sign "Stonehill Inn" is out front. There they pause there to look around.

A bit further on down the street they see a small Shrine of stones built along the right side of the road, up against the back corner of a pair of homes. It looks well tended by an elven woman. There is a small town square that opens on the right hand side of the main road, behind which is the Town Green. Some small boys play with sticks and hoops, running across the grassy field.

Kriv, however, heads to the left, opposite the town square, to a large building with study stone walls, a pitched wooden roof, and a bell tower at the back. There is something posted on a board next to the front door there. A notice is posted:
"REWARD--Orcs near Wyvern Tor! Those of a mind to face the orc menace should inquire within."
The notice bears the town's seal and an indecipherable signature. Clearly this is the Townmaster's Hall.

The three others walk into the inn where they quickly spot Chandan and Karok near the door. They are looking at Sildar who is talking to a man that hands him a brass key. Sildar pockets it and walks back to join the others.

"I've secured a room for myself here. It has been a tough few days and I need a bath badly. I'll be down later but I am looking for someone. If while you're poking around town you hear word about a man named Iarno Albreck, I would very much appreciate it if you remember to tell me. I will be down in about an hour and perhaps we can meet for some drinks then? " he says.

Then he looks around and adds, "By the way where is Kriv?"

Attached picture phan2.jpg
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 13/12/14 18:22 UTC
Jaliera

"Hi everyone."

She smiles.

"Kriv went to a big building to look at a notice I think. He knows we are here. As well as Sildar's friend, apparently Grundren's brothers are camped near by though I don't know exactly where. I think we should try to find them.. maybe in the morning?"

It will be nice to spend an evening in the inn and be able to eat a hot meal comfortably.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 13/12/14 18:40 UTC
Kriv

Interesting. More vermin activity in the area: It might well be related. He weighed up the merits of going in alone versus taking the others, and decided that taking along a few soft fleshy faces might well help his case. He memorised the wording on the notice and headed to the inn: The filth were planning something substantial, so this might well be a lead that would enable them to rescue the brothers Rockseeker.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 14/12/14 16:12 UTC
Chandan

The monk walks over to the bar and greets its keeper.

"Hello. Tell me, our party must undertake some travelling hereabouts, and I wondered, who keeps these lands safe?

"I see there is no wall and no fort. These must be tamed lands indeed."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 14/12/14 16:28 UTC
DM

The innkeeper is the short human man that had provided Sildar with lodging. He was cleaning the bar when Chandan came over.

"First, welcome to Phandelin and more important, welcome to the Stonehill Inn. It's always nice to see new faces here."

He tucks his right hand under his left armpit to dry it before extending it for a handshake to the monk.

"Well, the townmaster is supposed to take care of that but Harbin Webster could do a better job of that, if you ask my opinion. But I don't want to stir up trouble."

"Why don't you and your party grab a table and I'll send over my barmaid to take your orders. You must be weary after travel. By the way, do you need rooms?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 14/12/14 16:30 UTC
Kallista

Walking into the inn with the others she nods at Sildar's comments. "Good idea." She over over to the man Sildar was talking to and asks about the prices for a room, meals, and drink.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 14/12/14 17:40 UTC
Chandan

He shakes the man's hand. He bows and says, "Thank you", deferring to Kallista with some relief.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 06:40 UTC
Davroar

He waves a hello to the others as he steps into the inn and quietly follows the general group. When the bartender mentions to Chandan to find a table, he will amble over to the nearest one that has enough seating for all of them.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 11:58 UTC
Jaliera

She follows Davroar to a table and sits down, feeling very grown up with coin in her purse and, for now at least, mistress of her own destiny.

"Should we book rooms? Or maybe try to find the dwarven brothers?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 17:47 UTC
Karok

"Would be good to find them, but perhaps spending the night to rest and inquire might get us further than heading out of town quickly.

He requested a room before heading to the table the elven cleric's word still in his mind.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 18:00 UTC
We've found Gundren! End adventure, distribute XP! lol
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 20:23 UTC
Originally Posted by nemarsde

ooc: Where?
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 20:33 UTC
Elsa the barmaid

The party of adventurers find two empty tables near each other that can be pulled together to handle their little crowd. The inn is not yet crowded but it's slightly before dinner time and many of the town's citizens are still tending to their jobs and shops.

As soon as they are seated, a bubbly young barmaid comes over to their tables and says, in a very bubbly voice "Hi! I'm Elsa. It's so nice to see new people in town. We don't get many visitors and you seem like nice visitors, even the dragon guys (I bet your bark is louder than your bite sir!) But welcome, welcome. Can I get you anything to drink or to eat? The food is good for what it is, I can assure you of that and the drink, well, I ain't never turned down a drink. So what would you like?"

She says all that with a single breath. It seems that if she did not need to breathe, that she might still be talking. Elsa, evidently isn't shy and she's quite the talkative one.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 20:42 UTC
Originally Posted by Neptune
Originally Posted by nemarsde

ooc: Where?

Ask Nivek. grin
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 22:05 UTC
Karok

"Tell me lass, is the ale here as good as your attitude. If'n it is, I'll start with a pair of mugs. I'll worry about food after I've relaxed some."

"And have you seen any others of my kind around lately?"
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 15/12/14 22:29 UTC
Kriv

He heads into the inn, reptilian head making a note of the various occupants before heading to their little grouping. Whilst they had completed the letter of their agreement, the debt of honour his kin owed to the Rockseekers meant that this matter would not be closed until they were secured or avenged. Now to see which of them was of like mind...
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 16/12/14 07:20 UTC
Davroar

"I won't be needing a room, Jaliera. I feel nature calling, so I'll be staying outside. I might be lucky and find Grundren's brothers if they are camping close by."

When Elsa arrives at their table, he will put in his order, "I'll have cider if you have it, or your local ale, plus some food please."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 16/12/14 11:33 UTC
Jaliera

She looks at Davroar, concern on her face.

"You shouldn't be on your own. Remember what the shop keeper said. I could camp with you if you like, maybe some of the others too. It would save my coin."

She smiles at the barmaid.

"I'll take hot food and a small ale please."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 17/12/14 08:23 UTC
Davroar

He tries to show his unconcern with a smile to Jaliera and says, "You mean the Redbrands that Barthan mentioned? I thought they're here in town... though Barthan didn't exactly say where they hole up in."

He thinks on it for a few seconds then sticks to his original decision.

"Your welcome to come Jaliera, and ahh, yeah it would be nice to... boot come untied."

He bends down to tighten an already tightened lace on his boot to hide his face as his mind and tongue become disjointed as thoughts of possibly having a quiet night alone with a very pretty woman to talk with.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 17/12/14 13:09 UTC
Jaliera

Well that is settled. It is not as though they haven't been camped out since they left home, one more night won't make a difference and they might be able to find Grundren's brothers. nd of course spending some time with Davroar would be nice.

They still need other information, she'll ask some question of the barmaid when she brings the food.

Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 18/12/14 04:54 UTC
OOC: Apologies for the past few days. Things got more hectic and pressure filled at work this week than expected and that sapped my energy. I've been delinquent in posting. I also did a poor job of reading. There are some "retroactive" answers. If this particular post is disjointed, that's why.

Before the innkeeper sends the group off to their table he answers Kalista's query about rates, "I have some rooms upstairs. The price is five silver per person. Meals are three silver and a mug of ale is four coppers."

Just then a woman calls out from the kitchen, "Toblan!" He looks back there and then excuses himself, "I think that my boss needs me. Why don't you grab that table now," he says as he scurries away to answer his wife's call. That stopped Karok in mid-sentence as he was about to book his room.

Meanwhile Jaliera and Davroar have found themselves seats and were soon joined by the others except for Kriv. Bubbly Elsa started taking orders, repeating everyone's order back to make sure she got it right before she turns away to fill the orders.

Kriv enters the inn and sees his comrades already seated at a table. Before he joins them he looks around to see who else is in the taproom. The dragonborn quickly concludes that these are all common, hardworking folk. The soot and soil on their garments and under their fingernails were sure signs that these people came here after a long, hard day of work.

Kriv reaches the table just as the barmaid left but she is replaced a moment later by the innkeeper. "There's always some disaster," he says raising eyes and palms to the sky, as if in prayer. "Someone misplaced the missus favorite ladle and now it's my fault." He let's out a sigh.

"So, did you think about the rooms? How many beds do you need? Oh, and did you come in with Gundren's friend Sildar?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 18/12/14 12:12 UTC
Jaliera

"Yes we came in with Sildar."

She smiles at the innkeeper, not supplying any further details as inns are renowned for spreading gossip and she is not sure how much the villagers need to be aware of Grundren's situation, especially as he brothers don't know yet.

Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 19/12/14 16:56 UTC
DM

"I like the man. He's all about making sure that people are safe and that law and order are preserved. Any friend of Sildar is a friend of mine," the innkeeper said.

Just then the perky waitress returns with four mugs of ale. She puts two mugs down in front of Karok and then one each for Jaliera and Davroar.

"Elsa, bring out a cheese plate for these folks - it's on me" the innkeeper says to the barmaid. She nods and heads off to the kitchen.

"About those rooms. Who needs one?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 19/12/14 17:42 UTC
Kallista

She nods to the innkeeper. "I will take one."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 19/12/14 21:44 UTC
Chandan

The life of a wandering monk has been revealing. Sometimes literally so.

Been it's also a relatively recent change for Chandan. He's spent most of his life in contemplation, a sadhu, a medicant, a dervish.

Living in a hovel on the mountain side, he had become part of the scenery, and though he'd come to appreciate the fine details of his vista, the one thing it lacked was people.

So he doesn't linger at the bar, but wanders the taproom, inspecting at marvelling at the various odds and ends, trinkets and souvenirs that always adorn the walls of such places.

He bows to any patrons he makes eye contact with, and generally tries to get a feel for the place and so too perhaps Phandalin.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 20/12/14 08:05 UTC
Davroar

He thanks the waitress for bringing his drink, yet remains quiet when the innkeeper asks who wants a room.

Bringing his mug up to take a sip, he pauses to say, "A toast for new friends and surviving our trip!"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 20/12/14 14:28 UTC
DM

Chandan decides to wander about and mingle. The taproom is a lively place at this hour. It is almost dark outside and the hardworking folk of Phandelin come here to relax and socialize.

"Hey there old man!" calls out a burly man. He looks like he's been relaxing longer than most. "Where's ya ale? Ya can't be comin in here and not be drinkin our ale!"
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 21/12/14 08:54 UTC
Chandan

"Ah so." He replies, beaming, "That is a fine custom!"

He makes his way over to the man's table and takes a seat. With a humble nod, he takes the man's tankard and drinks from it.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 22/12/14 12:11 UTC
Jaliera

"Sildar is a good man. And thank you for the cheese."

She agrees with the innkeeper.

"We are also looking for two dwarven brothers thought to be camping somewhere local. I'm sure they must have been in here for ale. Do you perhaps know in which direction they return to their camp?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 23/12/14 02:18 UTC
Innkeeper

"He is indeed and you're welcome lass. Are dwarven brothers you mean the Rockseekers? Gundren and his brothers?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 23/12/14 02:32 UTC
DM

The burly drunk slaps Chandan on the back and says, "a new custom! Yeah, a Phandelin custom!"

Sitting at that same table are two other men. They don't seem pleased with their pal. "Alzok. Sit down alreay. You're making a fool of yourself," one of the men says.

The other man looks Chandan's way and say, "I'm Borim and that is Carmil. You've met Alzok already. And who do we have the pleasure of drinking with this evening?"

All three of the men sitting at the table with Chandan are garbed similarly. It wasn't a uniform but more of a standard garb. They all had neckerchiefs tied around their necks and their clothing was soiled with dust and dirt from top to bottom. These men worked the earth.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 23/12/14 09:39 UTC
Jaliera

She nods enthusiastically.

"Yes the Rockseeker brothers! Do you know where we might find them?"

She takes a small sip of her ale, whilst watching the innkeeper, hoping he might have the answer.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 24/12/14 14:03 UTC
Chandan

"I am Chandan. From the East. Humble student of life.

"It is very nice to meet you.

"Yes. I like this village very much. It feels safe and comfortable; is there a local lord?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 24/12/14 15:45 UTC
Innkeeper

The innkeeper answers Jaliera.

"No m'lady. They haven't been around town in over a tenday. And frankly, I miss them. They are good customers. I assume that they are out of town on business."

He turns his attention to the dragonborn, "And for you sir, would you be wanting anything to eat or drink? Are you in need of a room?"

Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 24/12/14 15:52 UTC
Borim

The more sober man seated with Chandan answers.

"If you want to call him that, yes. Harbin Wester is the townmaster but he has done little to keep Phandelin safe. We are overrun by hooligans."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 26/12/14 11:55 UTC
Jaliera

If they have not frequented the inn in that time then likely they are not in the area. Or something has happened to them too?

She nods to the innkeeper and whilst he talks to Kriv, she says quietly to the others.

"Maybe we could leave a message here for them? They should know what we have found out."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 27/12/14 02:05 UTC
Kriv

Whilst he preferred accommodations more befitting his rank and station, the Dragonborn noble scion wasn't above less suitable fare if duty called for it. The mission first and foremost, other considerations were secondary.

"I would be glad to sample your fare. I will consult with my colleagues as to our rooming arrangements to ensure we are all on the same page, so to speak."
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 27/12/14 16:10 UTC
Karok Battlehammer

"Aye, I'll take a room." he said after taking a long pull on the first ale, wiping off his mouth with the back of his hand.

He looked around the room, noting where Chandan went. He hoped the man didn't get into trouble they could use a quiet night.

"Tell me good man, who around here would know all of the surrounding area well? Especially the places away from the main roads?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 28/12/14 02:41 UTC
Innkeeper

"I will surely pass on a message if you need to do so and they grace my tavern with their presence. What would you like to say? Did you want to craft a note?" he says to Jaliera.

"So far I know that Sildar, who is already upstairs, you sir Dwarf and I believe this noble dragonborn and that tiefling friend of yours are in need of a place to stay. Anyone else can make arrangements later. I'll get you keys now so that if you wanted to rest or refresh yourselves you may do so at your leisure."

"As for that question, sir dwarf, many of the people who live here work the nearby Sword Mountains. The others are farmers. You might ask one of the miners? Like Lanar over there," he adds as he nods over to a table with four men. His eyes focus on a large, bald headed man there.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 28/12/14 13:15 UTC
Jaliera

"Yes I can craft a note."

She smiles at the innkeeper, before looking round at the others.

"We can discuss the contents over dinner."

It would be useful to seal the note too.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 02/01/15 13:35 UTC
[ooc: Just wondering if people are confused or it's something else. The other group is flying along with this chapter. Maybe it's just that typical end-of-year slowdown for some? I don't like to push things faster than people like to play but I anticipated this part of the game moving with a bit more pace. Do we need some sort of reset? Review?]
Posted By: KenSeg Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 02/01/15 13:49 UTC
OOC: Well, we are just naturally smarter in the other group! grin
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 02/01/15 14:15 UTC
I'm just waiting for the others to post.. wink
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 03/01/15 13:30 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn eased himself into a seat beside his compatriots, and quietly commented,

"I had a look at the Townmaster's building: There was a notice outside asking for help against more vermin activity in the area, Orcs this time. I suspect there's a correlation between that and our recent findings, and it may be worth our while following up on it."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 03/01/15 15:59 UTC
Kallista

She glances at the table of miners when the Innkeepeer points it out and nods. Moving over towards it she gives the miners he best smile. "Mind if I sit with you and chat for a bit? We", she tilts her head back towards the group, "are new in town. Figured you men might know the news."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 04/01/15 07:24 UTC
Davroar

He will sit back enjoying the warmth of the common room while waiting for his food. He does not have any suggestions at the moment for Jaliera about writing the note to Gundren's brothers.

When Kriv mentions orcs in the area, Davroar sits back up with his attention turned to him. "Orcs? Do you think they'd know where Cragmaw Keep is?"

[ooc: sorry about my lack of posts, RL distractions past few weeks ]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 04/01/15 13:56 UTC
Jaliera

"They might, unless we can turn up a better lead. The longer we leave Grundren in that place, the less likely he is to survive it."

She frowns.

"But we do need to know where to go."

She gets some paper and ink from her pack and starts to compose a note.

Grundren's brothers,

Grundren hired a group of us to deliver some goods from Neverwinter to Phandalin. We were attacked by goblins and learned that they had captured Grundren and Sildar. We decided to attempt a rescue. We did rescue Sildar but he said Grundren had been taken to Cragmaw Castle. We are here trying to discover where this castle is to go and try to rescue Grundren. We may fail. Hence this note.

Jaliera, Davroar, Kallista, Kriv, Karok & Chandan

She reads it out to see if the others at the table approve, currently only Kriv, Karok & Davroar are there.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 04/01/15 22:38 UTC
[Hi. So in an attempt to answer Neptune's question, I read the other thread and it may be that we have a different end of the stick compared to the other group.

We've been playing like Gundren's rescue is top priority, extremely urgent, hence trying to find anyone who can give us a lead on Cragmaw Castle or King Grol.

Can't speak for others, but that's how it seems. smile ]
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 04/01/15 23:26 UTC
Kriv

He scanned the note and nodded his curt approval, then removed the signet ring from his right hand, drawing a candle close.

"The insignia of Norixius Keep, the brothers may be familiar with it given our previous business with the Rockspeakers. It may serve us as an additional vouchsafe and guard against tampering. For the time being, however, I suggest we canvas the town, and see if we can glean any further leads of any other vermin activity. I have a strong suspicion that if there is widespread increased activity amongst the uncivilised species, all of it will lead back to Cragmaw."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 04/01/15 23:40 UTC
DM

With the innkeeper, Toblin Stonehill, now back in the kitchen tending to things, Jaliera starts writing her note. By the time that Sildar Hallwinter, the fighter the party rescued from the goblin lair comes down the steps, he sees Jaliera pass the note over to Kriv for review. Karok and Davroar are there too, discussing their next move. Kriv reads the note and makes his statement when Sildar reaches them.

"May I join you?" Sildar asks. As soon as he's acknowledged he takes a seat at the table. "I feel so much better now that I've had a bath". It is obvious that he looks and smells better too. The dirt that had crusted on his skin after many days on the road, and the stench he built up after spending time as a captive of the goblins was now washed away. In its place was a clean and tidy man. He spots the innkeepers wife as she emerges from the kitchen and calls out to her, "Trilena, I'll take that plate now." She smiles at him and heads into the kitchen but only for a moment and she approaches the fighter.

She bends down towards him and sniffs him, "That's better. Don't you be coming into this place smellin worse than men that's been workin the mines. It's bad enough I have to tolerate them."

"Well, it was not my intent to get waylayed by goblins. I spent too much time as their guests," he says as she lays the plate of food in front of him.

She smiles, "Alright then. This one time. Next time take a dip in a river before coming in here."

She was about to head back to the kitchen when Sildar stops her, "I am looking for a wizard named Iarno Albrek, do you have word of such a person?"

"No my dear. I have not. Maybe the Redbrands got to him. They are such trouble! Just a tenday ago, Thel Dendrar, the woodcarver, tried to stand up to them when they came into his shop and leered at his wife. He ended up dead, I tell you. Those ruffians carved him up good. Several townfolk saw it. The Redbrands grabbed his body, and now his wife, daughter and son have gone missing too. I would wager this person you seek, Iarno, was taken by them."

Just then, a little boy, not more than eight years old, appears behind his mother. "Carp told me he found a secret tunnel in the woods, but the Redbrands almost caught him!"

"Pip! Stop telling stories and spreading rumors like that," Trilena says to the boy before turning back to Sildar and looking at everyone at the table. "Please excuse my son, his friend, Carp, is a bit of a mischief-maker. I'll speak with his mother, Queline Alderleaf, about his stories."

Kalista was not at the table at the time because she walked over to a nearby table and asked about recent news. "Sure" one of the miners says to Kalista. "Have a seat. We've been wondering about you. I'm Lanar and these here are Monish, Olaf and Pestish. What news are you talking about? The orc raiders?"

Chandan is at another table with three men, and during his conversation with them he learns that they too are miners. Borim has been talking about Harbin Wester, the townmaster and that seems to have brought others into the conversation. That includes the table which Kalista visited. The consensous of the locals is that Harbin has not done enough about taking care of the Redbrands. As the conversation progresses and further queries are made about looking for the dwarven brothers, one of the miners suggests that they visit the miner's exchange to get that kind of information. "See Halia Thornton there. She may have heard something more."

[ooc: There are some differences between the other thread and this that are a byproduct of events at the goblin lair. It's kind of nice that this module is not a railroad. There are different paths to take and the game can diverge. It's not a problem if they go one way and this party goes another way.]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 05/01/15 13:08 UTC
Jaliera

She doesn't like the sound of these Redbrands, especially as they seem to hide out in the woods. And then this orc activity. She looks at Davroar.

"I'm not sure we should be staying in the woods with these Redbrands and orcs in the area. Perhaps tonight we should stay in the inn. Someone needs to do something about these Rebrands. The shopkeeper was complaining about them too."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 05/01/15 20:39 UTC
Sildar

At the table he overheard Jaliera talking to Davroar and said, "Harbin Wester is the townmaster and should be doing something about those ruffians!" He seems quite agitated to learn what's been going on here.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 06/01/15 08:55 UTC
Kriv

"Enough."

The Dragonborn's face was as unreadable as ever given its scaled nature, but there was no mistaking the ire in the tone of voice.

"Enough of this 'someone should do something' nonsense. If the one responsible for safeguarding the town is guilty of dereliction of duty then he should be replaced, preferably executed but I recognise that may not be your societal norm. In the absence of responsibility, take responsibility. Problems left unresolved do not resolve themselves, they fester, grow and become insurmountable.

Unless the people of this town wish to be overrun by these brigands, the attitude needs to change from 'Someone else needs to do something' to 'I am doing something'. This is not my town, and I will not work without appropriate recompense, but if no-one else is willing to do what is necessary, then I will. Disorder and brigandry are enemies of the civilised social order and must be extirpated."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 06/01/15 15:52 UTC
Sildar

"I certainly intend to deal with this." The icy response was delivered in a matter-of-fact tone. The Dragonborn can see that this fighter they rescued was a kindred spirit in some ways. He seems to be seething as much as Kriv, but is just holding it in better.

"What's this about orcs?" It seems he's looking to figure out what problems need to be addressed.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 07/01/15 03:37 UTC
Davroar

To Jaliera he says, "You're probably right." Still he feels a need to commune with nature. Wanting to get back outside then before night, he will quickly finish off his dinner.

As to what they do next, he adds around a mouthful of food, "Should we ask the townmaster which problem came first?"

Davroar silently wonders if one problem has lead to the others happening.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 07/01/15 12:16 UTC
Jaliera

She nods to Davroar, glad in some ways to be staying in the inn, but disappointed in others.

Looking to Sildar and Kriv, she listens as they speak.

"I'll be happy to join in and try to make life better for the townspeople here but it should not detract from finding Grundren. Also it is no good sorting out one problem for another to move in. The townspeople will need to be part of the solution."

These seem wise words from a youngster. She smiles, adding.

"Just going to book rooms for Davroar and myself."

She will approach the innkeeper or beckon him over to do so.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 07/01/15 12:36 UTC
Kriv

He replied to the former captive, the edge fading from his voice,

"A missive posted outside the Townmaster's hall, seeking aid in dealing with a group of Orcs. I suggest you discern the precise details for yourself lest I miscommunicate some relevant point. Given our experiences, I suspect this to be part of a larger vermin upwelling, and tied into Cragmaw Keep. This is, however, speculation, and they may be entirely unconnected, but it struck me as a likely lead in the direction of Gundren Rockspeaker."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 07/01/15 16:08 UTC
Kallista

She nods to the men. "I am Kallista. Well met."

"Yes, the Orc raiders, if you have details, but also anything worthy of being called news, or even gossip", she grins, "Gossip masquerading as news is sometimes quite entertaining."

She nods back over her shoulder. "We're new. Just arrived this afternoon from Neverwinter. Had a run-in with some Goblins on the road. Who should we report that to?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 07/01/15 17:01 UTC
Sildar

He nods in agreement with the Dragonborn. "Will you join me then? I intend to march on over there to speak with the townmaster. I might need someone rational standing next to me to keep me from expressing myself too loud.
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 07/01/15 18:42 UTC
Karok

"I'll go with you if you'd like. I'd like to meet this man." he said with a scowl on his face, one mug done.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 07/01/15 20:46 UTC
Kriv

He replaced his signet ring, and nodded.

"I ask a few minutes to get changed into something more suited for the battlefields of noble discourse rather than the battlefields of actual battle. I suspect one so unable to handle the security of the town to which he has been entrusted sets more store by appearance than by capability. Fortunately, I can manage perfectly well in either category."

Given the opportunity, he would take the time to retire to his fresh-acquired chamber, and to freshen up, then change into his noble finery.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 07/01/15 21:17 UTC
DM

Sildar nods in agreement to Kriv. "That will work for me. Trilena just brought out my food and will be upset with me if I leave it untouched. Even though it's late and if Harbin has retired for the eve, we'll interrupt his rest. This matter needs to be dealt with."

He turns to Jaliera who raised the matter of Grundren, "The dwarf is not a friend of mine but he did hire me and I do feel an obligation to him. I was supposed to provide him with some level of protection but the odds were not in our favor when we were ambushed. I do want to find and rescue him. But I hired on for a different purpose. I was already on my way here to look for the wizard Iarno Albrek. There are things going on that make me believe that tending to one matter might tending to other matters."

Just at that time the innkeeper enters the taproom and approaches Kallista. He hands her a key and tells her which room it is for before making his way over to the table where Karok and Kriv are sitting. "Here are your keys. Second room to your left, up the stairs. Please let me know if there's anything you need. I assumed you two were sharing, but if I am wrong, I do have other rooms. Each has two beds."

Over at the other table where Kallista is, she gets a snicker from Lanar in response to her question about to whom she should report trouble, "My dear lady, Harbin Wester is the townmaster. I suppose he's the best person to talk to, but I'm not really sure he cares."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 08/01/15 13:05 UTC
Jaliera

She takes the opportunity to arrange two rooms for herself and Davroar. Then she turns to Sildar.

"You say these things might be connected, including this wizard of whom you speak. Could you tell us more of the background?"
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 08/01/15 13:30 UTC
Kriv

He looked at Davroar and shrugged: it wasn't as if the smell of human wasn't everywhere already.

"Fine by me."

So saying, he headed up to change into attire more suitable for confronting the townmaster.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 08/01/15 22:13 UTC
Chandan

He has been talking quietly with the labourers at his table. Not about anything specific, more sharing in the mundanities.

Since they were supplying the drink, it seemed courteous to engage with them.

However, the ale quickly leaves him feeling bloated and he decides to seek out something stronger. After giving his fellow drinkers the blessings of the Lords of Karma, Chandan heads over to his companions.

"I will fortify myself against the chill of the northern dusk, then come with you to this master of towns." He says.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 09/01/15 03:33 UTC
DM

Sildar disappoints Jaliera when he answers her question about the background. "I am not from here, but I feel as though I have a duty here, to protect the residents of this town. A connection between Redbrands and orcs may or may not exist, but I intend to find out."

It's not long before the entire group has received keys to rooms, refreshed themselves as they pleased and gathered again down in the taproom before heading out to the building down the street.

The Townmaster's Hall has sturdy stone walls and a wooden roof, and a bell tower at the back. The sign that Kriv had read just a short while back is still posted next to the front door. It says "REWARD - Orcs near Wyvern Tor! Those of a mind to face the orc menace should inqure within." The notice bears the town seal and an indecipherable signature.

"Let's see what this is all about," Sildar says as he boldly opens the door and strides, with authority, inside.

The inside of the townmaster's hall is dominated by a large desk, with a disorganized stack of papers and ledgers on one side and a flickering oil lamp on the other. Behind the desk a very large, old man sits penning something into a notebook. The old man looks up. "You startled me! My heart isn't what it was in my youth. What can I do for you?"

[ooc: Moving things forward with the whole party, just to move things along. Excuse liberties taken....

Edit: I'm going to allow for a splintering, just state where you're off to if you choose to pick another location.]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 09/01/15 13:37 UTC
Jaliera

She follows Sildar out as she qualifies her question.

"No I meant the background on this wizard, who he is, why you are looking for him."

[A slight backtrack if permitted]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 09/01/15 16:19 UTC
[ooc: The "slight" backtrack.]

Sildar
"The wizard belongs to a group that I am a part of. We call ourselves the Lord's Alliance. He came here and hasn't been heard from since. I've been asked to locate him."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 10/01/15 19:53 UTC
Davroar

Following along behind the group of them, he takes note of the Shrine of Luck and lingers there for a moment. The towns green space draws him away as he quietly walks out across it. The bureaucratic business of going to the towns hall slips to the back of his mind as he wild shapes for his very first time into a northern wolf, a common sight from his homeland.

He promised earlier that he would be back, but for now he takes a easy running pace quickly disappearing through an orchard of trees, the scents of various creatures almost overwhelming his mind. A stream is nearby as he heads out to explore, but being mindful to not go too far away.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 11/01/15 16:34 UTC
Chandan

He smiles earnestly, feeling much better after having fortified himself against these northern climes.

So bolstered, he answers the old man succinctly.

"Hello. Are you the master of this town?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 12/01/15 01:53 UTC

OOC: I am going to take back the "railroad" I kinda forced down everyone's throat (nobody acused me, I just recognized it) by placing everyone at the Townmaster's. You are hereby given free reign to go wherever you are going now. I might have set up multiple threads if we were not sharing with Zeim's game, so let's create psuedo-threads in this one thread by labeling where you are in each post. This help all of us focus our attention. I've put together a bulleted list below of some various locales that you might choose to visit. There are a could of "declared" locations. I assume that Kriv and Chandon are at the Townmaster Hall. I know that Davroar is at the Edermath Orchard. To create psuedo-threads just start your post with your character name and location.
  • Pip, the son of the innkeeper, mentioned a secret tunnel in the woods that Carp, the son of Queline Alderleaf had told him about.
  • Chandan was told to go to see Halia Thornton at the miner's exchange for information about Grundren's brothers. And Karok was told to talk to miners about their potential whereabouts. The innkeeper said that they haven't been around town in over a tenday.
  • All the townfolk are in an uproar about the Redbrands. They are not happy with the Townmaster. You don't know where to find them yet.
  • There is a reward sign outside the Townmaster Hall to take cafe of orcs.
  • Karok had met Sister Garaele at the Shrine of Luck and he left there feeling that there was more to be discussed with her. It was as if the conversation ended too early.
  • Davroar has changed into a wolf and is now in the Edermath Orchard

DM - Townmaster Hall
The large man, now well into the autumn of his life, manages to hoist himself out of his seat and starts to wobble towards Chandan with an outstretched hand. "Yes, yes. I am Harbin Wester and I do have that title. And as such I would like to welcome you to our fair town. What brings you here?"

Sildar stands back, deferring to Chandan and the others who accompanied him to this place. He is patient and will wait his chance to ask questions.

DM - Edermath Orchard
Davroar changes form as soon as he makes it into the darkness of dusk and makes his way through the town green and then into the orchard. He passes through the apple trees and soon finds a cottage in the middle of it. A light flickers inside. Getting closer he can see through a window. Inside the cottage he sees an aging man making his dinner on a woodburning stove.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 12/01/15 13:23 UTC
Jaliera - Townmaster Hall

With Davroar slipping away and wanting to continue her questions about the missing wizard, Jaliera tags along with the main group. She has no intention of acting as a spokesperson but her confidence has grown enough over the last few days that she might have a question or two. Besides it is always good to hear information first hand.

As Chandan asks his question, she takes the opportunity to study the large man before them. She wonders how long he has had the position and how he earned it but this is idle curiosity, at least at the moment.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 12/01/15 14:29 UTC
Kriv - Townmaster Hall

It might be educational to see what the perceptive mendicant could manage amongst his own soft-fleshed kind, given his abject surrender to vermin earlier. Kriv hung back a plausibly deniable distance along with Sildar in case this results in a similar capitulation.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 12/01/15 17:28 UTC
Chandan - Townhall

He bows his head respectfully, then hugs the man and steps back.

Chandan is feeling warmed in his chest from the beer and aquavit he'd drunk at the inn.

"Welcome, yes...

"We are humble servants of goodness, pursuing monsters that have carried our friend off to Cragmaw Castle.

"A satrap might know other local lords, and so we come to ask."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 12/01/15 20:35 UTC
Harbin Wester - Townmaster Hall

The townmaster is taken aback by the the cuddly old man that hugged him. Chandan found that it was difficult to get his arms around the large man's waist but that did not stop the monk from squeezing. After they disengaged, the townmaster tried to reply, but he seems confused.

"I don't know about this Cragmaw Castle. I thought you were here about the bounty?"
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 12/01/15 21:59 UTC
Chandan - Townhall

"Ah, perhaps we are but do not know it yet.

"Gol lives in this Cragmaw Castle, called 'King' by the evils that serve him.

"The orcs you want dead may know of him. Where can we find them?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 13/01/15 01:50 UTC
"Ah. So you are here to collect the bounty for dealing with the orcs. Excellent. Thank you. The entire town will thank you!!!"

He says all this like a politician, with a big smile.

"Well here's what I know. It's been reported, by travelers, that they have had trouble with orcs near Wyvern Tor. You would need to head east down the Triboar Trail to get there. We can pay 100 gold pieces, and you can keep whatever you find on the orcs. Will you take the job? Maybe you'll get the answers that you seek too?"
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 13/01/15 17:15 UTC
Karok - Townmaster Hall

"If'n we be going that way, we could clean them up for you. Seems strange to me that any town would put up with their stinkin' kind anywhere close to town. Have you no militia to use against them?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 13/01/15 17:29 UTC

"The entire town would be grateful, I am sure, if you helped out. We have no militia, which is why I put out the help wanted sign. I am but a banker, versed in the ways of numbers, not fighting. I thought we were going to get help from outside, but that has not happened."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 13/01/15 18:42 UTC
Chandan - Townmaster Hall

"Ah, you can come with us, show us how to find Wyvern Tor! You look like you could do with the exercise." He suggests to the townmaster.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 14/01/15 00:49 UTC

He gives Chandan a look of utter confusion.

"You cannot be serious?" the townmaster says as he lumbers back to his chair. Simply standing has made him tired and but he wasn't about to admit that. "I am the townmaster!" he proclaims, as if the title freed him from such mundane responsibilities.

He shifts then from his overtly pompous tone to a slightly less pompous tone. "I provided you with directions earlier, which you may have missed, so I will repeat what I had said. You would need to take the Triboar Trail east. Hopefully you don't intend to go now, though. It is dark and I am told that orcs see well at night."

Sildar - Townmaster Hall
The fighter waits for the townmaster to finish talking and during a break in the conversation he interjects. "You said something about help from the outside not coming. Did you not receive Iarno Albrek? The Lord's Alliance sent him here to help stabilize this area. He is a short, dark-bearded man, who has seen about thirty years"

"There was a person that met such a description in town about two months ago. We were never introduced."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 14/01/15 07:55 UTC
Davroar - Orchard

He pauses only a moment to see the old man in his cabin. The sun is setting and he wants to do a wide circle ( roughly 1/2 mile ) around the entire town before it gets completely dark. Letting his nose guide him for any scent of the dwarven brothers rumored to be camping nearby, he heads out at a good pace.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 14/01/15 14:01 UTC

Mindful of what happened last time with the goblins, and remembering to ask about that hidden tunnel some youngster spoke of, she is concerned about the size of the orc problem.

"As you are good at numbers, can you estimate the number of orcs?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 14/01/15 18:00 UTC

"I do not think it is a large contingent, maybe a dozen or less, but I am not sure. When you find one cockroach there are usually many more hidden. Hopefully, if you address the situation now, it will keep it from becoming a big problem."

Can Davroar please provide both a perception and insight roll
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 14/01/15 18:43 UTC

Leaning his old bones on his crooked spear, he ambles around the office, examining whatever odds and ends Mr Wester has on display.

"Ah yes. East. One also takes the Triboar Trail east to reach the Hordelands.

"Maybe Wyvern Tor has a signpost? Or a wyvern on top?

"We will find it or not. All paths converge in life."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 14/01/15 20:22 UTC
DM - Townmaster Hall

There are few trinkets in the sparcely decorated Townmaster Hall. There is a door, which is ajar. As Chandan glances beyond he sees a lounge and a stairway down.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 15/01/15 13:13 UTC

A dozen or less.. but could be more. They need to approach this differently than they did the goblins if they are to succeed. Orcs are a bit worse than goblins as far as she can remember so it might well be harder. She frowns, thinking.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 15/01/15 13:40 UTC
Sildar Hallwinter - Townmaster Hall

"I think that I've heard enough. We're not going to solve this problem now. It's dark. I am going to head back to the inn and get a good night's rest. I suggest you all do too. Tomorrow is shaping up to be a busy day."

DM for Davroar the wolf - Around town

Davroar peers into the cottage and sees the man eating his dinner. OOC: I still need those perception and insight rolls from Davroar and then takes off to scout the outlying area. He moves west first and then south to circle the town.

He sees that the town is situated in a vale. Gentle hills form a border to the west. As he turns south he crosses another trail. He pauses there as there are some men, evidently miners, coming back to town after a long day of work. They stop by this one structure, which Davroar concludes is that Miner's Exchange they heard about at the inn. Nothing dramatic happens so he continues on, turning back east.

The land south of the town must be the most fertile because that is where most of the farms are situated. Small homes dot the outlying area there. South of those farms are more hills.

Finally, Davroar sees a large structure at the east edge of town on a low hillside amid woods and thickets. The building looks unused, abandoned.

Skirting that building but taking note, Davroar crosses another road and finds nothing more to note before reaching the road that they had traveled on to enter Phandalin.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 15/01/15 13:54 UTC
Kriv - Townmaster Hall

The Dragonborn took a pace forward and stated,

"One more matter. What is this town's policy on banditry and on those who let it flourish unhindered?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 15/01/15 15:18 UTC

The dragonborn's question seemed to prick the town master in a manner that the other questions didn't. He bristled at what he considered to be a pointed question, a direct attack on him, before answering, "Well, we don't tolerate it and, as you can see, I am doing what I can to hire people to help us out. Nobody in this town wants to let any wrong-doers flourish!"

Sildar casts a skeptical gaze at the town master and Kriv catches it. The two seem to share a common thought process.

Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 15/01/15 21:12 UTC
Kriv - Townmaster Hall

The Dragonborn dipped his head in a conciliatory manner and asked, in a perfectly innocent tone,

"I am glad to hear of your dedication to law and order, both individually and collectively. You are entirely correct, the poster asking for aid with the Orc problem demonstrates a firm will to see the vermin dealt with and the town made safe from their predations. It is exactly the response you'd expect to see from a firm, upstanding leader doing all in his power to protect the people in his care. It indicates a reliable hand on the tiller, able to ensure his citizenry can rest easy at nights."

He paused, a respectful but inquisitive tone creeping into his voice.

"All of which makes me wonder, where is the poster asking for aid with the bandit problem?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 01:47 UTC

Once again it is easy to see that he is uncomfortable with the line of questioning. Beads of sweat are forming on his forehead. "Bandits? I know of no bandits. Did you run into any? I see that some of you suffered wounds not too long ago. I assumed it was in some battle before you got here."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 08:26 UTC
Davroar - Wolf - Outside of Town

Davroar Insight roll
Dugan rolled 1d20+3 and got 21

Davroar Perception roll
Dugan rolled 1d20+3 and got 23
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 12:36 UTC

She smothers a smile, knowing where Kriv is going with his questioning. It would be good if they could get payment for sorting out this gang that is terrorising the town. But they also have the orcs to sort out and Grundren to rescue.

Looks like she won't be heading for home for quite a while. Maybe she should try to send a note to her mentor?
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 13:17 UTC
DM - Back at the orchard

Davroar had peered into the window of the home in the center of the orchard and when he did, he noticed something of interest. Hanging on the wall was a banner hanging on the wall. It is the type that a herald might carry as a flag or a marshal might carry into battle. It is of a hand wearing a gauntlet, holding the blade of a sword. He takes note of this and realizes that the old man must be something more than a simple man tending an orchard. There must be a history to him. He is not a mundane commoner, regardless of what his outward visage might portray.
ooc: You might want to try another skill that the post hints at using...

Attached picture OrderOfTheGauntlet.png
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 14:01 UTC
Karok - Townmaster Hall

*This man is a fool. Still he could not ignore orc or bandits near any innocents.*

He did enjoy the way the old man was making this fool squirm. There was more to their new acquaintance than he'd originally thought. At least when he was sober.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 16:01 UTC

"I believe that my friend here is referring to the group called the Redbrands. We've heard numerous complaints about them, some very worrisome."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 16:06 UTC

"Bah! The Redbrands? They're just a mercenary guild and are no trouble at all."

OOC: Group insight check please. Everyone except for Davroar.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 16:09 UTC
Kallista - Townmaster hall

She has been in the corner, listening while lounging against a table. She chimes in. "We'd certainly be willing to address your problem....., for the right compensation for our risk of course."

Kallista Insight Roll
Zeim rolled d20+1 and got 7
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 17:26 UTC
Karok - Townmaster Hall

Karok Battlehammer Inisght Roll
Nivek rolled d20+5 and got 20

[ooc: Never lie to a dwarf ;)]
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 16/01/15 17:56 UTC
[[Chandan Insight, rolled 14+4=18]]

He pushes the door to the lounge closed, and listens to Kriv and Kallista, interested in their points and the fat man's response.

He wonders how a master of this town is appointed. Chandan has travelled far since coming down from the mountains, but is still perplexed by the complex and varied systems that govern civilisations, even those as small as this.

It would seem that Harbin Wester wasn't appointed by any lord. There was no livery about, and the men at the inn hadn't spoken of any lords when Chandan had asked.

Indeed, when asked they'd told him to talk to Harbin Wester, almost as if the townmaster was self-appointed.

And now these Redbrands, ill-regarded by the locals, disregarded by the townmaster, turned out to be a mercenary guild. Had they turned down the work at Wyvern Tor?

Following on from Kallista, Chandan says.

"Because 100 in gold cannot have been 'right compensation' for the Redbrands to take your job."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 17/01/15 09:57 UTC
Davroar - Wolf - Orchard Cabin

He knows nothing of heraldry. His barbarian upbringing and being only sixteen years old leaves little chance of him recognizing the banner. Even his mentor for becoming a druid taught him only a handful of the main kingdoms banners and colours. Yet perhaps his memory might help if he has seen it before somewhere else.

Nevertheless, this man has got him curious enough to venture closer. Being quiet, he will sneak up to the cabin, keeping his ears trained on the cabin to check if the old man is truly alone in there.

Davroar Stealth check to cabin
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 2

Davroar INT (memory) check
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 1

Davroar History skill check
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 15
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 17/01/15 14:48 UTC
DM - Orchard
At the orchard, Davroar saw the banner. And although he did not have knowledge of the ways of civilized men, he knew there was significance to it. He had seen this symbol in his travels and remembered that the wearers of such symbols stood out as faithful and vigilant seekers of justice who sought to protect others from the depredations of evildoers. He thought that it was the banner of the Order of the Gauntlet.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 17/01/15 22:25 UTC
Kriv

Kriv Insight
AJ rolled 1d20-1 and got 11
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 18/01/15 16:08 UTC

The townmaster seems shaken by the line of questioning. His responses give his guests the sense that he has been thoroughly intimidated and fears for his life. He is visibly shaken and you will be able to get more information about the Redbrands from him. He does answer Chandan's question by changing the topic.

"You were here first so you get the first crack at those orcs. I am sure any competitors would be upset about losing out on the bounty, but you look like you might be formidable enough to earn it."

He is feigning a smile and wipes his brow with a handkerchief. "I can give you ten percent in advance. That means ten gold, as a sign of good faith, just if you go looking. You would need to bring back some sort of proof, to collect the balance of the bounty."

ooc: Gypsy, Kriv gave the party the 3rd success for insight so won't need Jaliera's roll. If you want to roll it so that you can use it to roll-play, go ahead.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 19/01/15 16:24 UTC
[OOC was absent this weekend but Jaliera is full of her own thoughts anyway, thanks! smile ]

Jaliera

She refocuses on the conversation, realising that the townmaster had said something that is incorrect. She decides to challenge it.

"You say we were here first but the Redbrands have been around for a while. They are probably getting enough money frightening businesses in the town, easier than tackling orcs I would imagine. Now that you are aware of this, what do you intend to do about it?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 19/01/15 17:25 UTC
DM

It soon becomes evident that any and all attempts to engage the townmaster about the Rebrands runs into a wall. He fears them more than any line of questioning. He skirts questions by changing subjects and not answering the questions being asked. To Jaliera he says "You were the first to answer my posted notice about the orcs. So your were first. I intend to hire you, if you take the job."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 19/01/15 20:04 UTC

"What you think? Nothing he can do about it. He is not the master of the town, only master of this office.

"But we should not judge. The town stands, the people survive, without walls or garrisons.

"Perhaps the Officemaster is a flower striving to bloom but blighted by parasites?

The old man starts humming some old Sepharian tune, then abruptly stops and says to Harbin.

"Do not worry. We will help Phandelin as best we can, yes."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 20/01/15 13:52 UTC
Kriv

"Back to the question of the bandits."

Kriv drew himself up to his full height, and let the truth of his feelings show as great displeasure on his features and as venom dripping from his words.

"You are deliberately evading any and all questions concerning the infestation of Redbrand brigands. A brutal gang of lawbreakers, criminals, guilty of every crime it is your Duty to prevent, against the people whom your life is devoted to protecting. Why, then, with this threat menacing this town and you abjectly refusing to address it, should you remain in charge? Why, with such crimes committed on your watch, with your knowledge and tacit acceptance, should you be alive when I leave this room? Treason is a capital crime."
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 20/01/15 14:52 UTC
Karok

He put a strong hand Kriv's arm to calm him some.

"Easy friend. I suspect there is more here than he is saying. But I feel he thinks he has no choice."

"Tell me sir. Are these people threatening you through your family. We can help. We will help, if that is the case. Are they holding some of your family?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 20/01/15 15:47 UTC

No matter what is said and asked, the townmaster continues to answer in circles and not finger the Redbrands. Intimidation, persuasion, cajoling and begging all fail to change his tune. He shares no more and offers no other leads.

OOC: This is "box text", in other words, a dead end and an exercise in futility.

"I have heard enough. I'll be back here tomorrow," he says directly to the townmaster. He does his best to hold back his frustration. "You all can decide if you want to hunt down those orcs. That is a sound first step to securing this town," he suggests to the group.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 20/01/15 16:10 UTC
Kriv

Darkly, the Dragonborn nodded agreement.

"Order, true order, needs to prevail here. We shall prove our intent and resolve through the removal and presentation of Orcish heads. Then bandit heads. Then the heads of sympathisers and collaborators. This town will know order, no matter how harsh the lesson must be."

He turned his back on the Townmaster, and headed towards the exit.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 21/01/15 13:19 UTC

Kriv is very.. determined. A good thing in some ways, not in others. Well the townmaster should be in no doubt about Kriv's intentions anyway. As the dragonborn exits, she manages a sympathetic smile for Harbin before following.

As the group move out of the Townmaster Hall, she reminds them of something.

"I seem to remember someone mentioned a boy who had found a tunnel. Might be useful to find out exactly where it is as it is likely to be orc related."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 21/01/15 15:11 UTC
Kallista

She shrugs at the exchanges. "Personally, I'd like some rest and a fresh start in the morning. It seems there's interesting things happening everywhere you turn in this town. Who knows what a few hours wandering around and talking to others might reveal?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 21/01/15 15:23 UTC
DM

The group leaves the townmaster hall and starts to make it's way back to the inn. They run into Davroar on the way back. He had not been noticed as he scouted the house in the orchard, or so it seems to him because of the lack of reaction by the man in the house.

Those leaving the townmaster's hall are disappointed in the paucity of answers coming from the fat, old man. He was spooked and kept quiet about the Redbrands. Sildar walked ahead with Kriv on the way back to the inn and said to the dragonborn, "It seems that we share ideals about law and order. I believe that there is an orc problem. It would be good if and your friends deal with that first thing tomorrow. I'll see what I can do to deal with Harbin in a less intimidating manner. I'll meet you at the townmaster hall when you come to claim your bounty."

The group reaches the inn and Sildar says his good nights as he marches up to his room. The taproom has started to empty out.

OOC: I'm guessing that by real-time tomorrow it'll be game-time morning.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 22/01/15 14:43 UTC
Chandan

He bids the Officemaster fairwell with a respectful smile and nod of the head and the words,

"Find us at the inn if you decide to join us. Your attachment to this office has held you back and made you a lesser man, inspite of broadening your belt."

At the inn, he immediately heads to the bar for more aquavit to chase away the chill.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 22/01/15 21:40 UTC
DM

Morning comes. A late rising at that, considering the time the group finally went to bed. You come down from your rooms to find that breakfast has already been served and the worker's and tradesmen of Phandalin are already at their businesses. It is close to 10am.

As you come down to the common room, Trilena greets you with a nod and a smile and disappears into the kitchen. She returns a minute or two later with plates of steaming hot pancakes and honey, bisquits, sausages, assorted fruit and kaffe and fresh goat's milk.

"Good morning." She says. "I figured you'd be getting up a bit late so I saved breakfast for you."

"Your friend, Sildar, waited for you for a while but then left. He said he was going on ahead to the Townmaster's Hall to talk to Harbin and you could catch up with him there later today and that you know what to do next. It was something about taking care of a problem outside of town."

I have marked with red stars on the map the places of interest that you have visited. I also marked off the path that Davroar took last night when he went "scouting" in wolf form. I will create a list of key rumors and information for you to follow up on in this thread tonight.

Attached File
phandalin2.jpg  (6 downloads)
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 23/01/15 12:39 UTC
Read up the older first post in that thread and don't remember the following:

- Trilena Stonehill - Innkeepers wife. Told you that Redbrands had killed Thel Drendar, a local woodcarver, and carried off his wife and daughter.

- Thel Drendar - a local woodcarver killed by the Redbrands. His wife and daughter are missing.

- Sister Garaele - Cleric of Tymora who maintains the Town Shrine. Rumour she had gone out of town and returned wounded and hurt.

Have I just forgotten, did others in my group find out but have yet to share or was this something the other group discovered?

Thanks! smile Just want to know if I can act on any of this.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 23/01/15 13:25 UTC
ooc: The one that I guess I added by mistake is the last one, about Sister Garaele leaving town and returning hurt, but let's just say you just heard it. I'll fix. And yes, Zeim and I are sharing some posts so it was a case of poor editing on my part heh

The information about Thel Drendar being murdered is (buried) in this post

DM

As Trilena starts to head back to the kitchen she stops, turns back and says, "Oh. Sister Garaele stopped by too. She said that she had met Karok yesterday and she wanted to talk to him and his friends. Did you know that she had left town a few days ago and returned injured? We were worried about her but Tymora healed her wounds."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 23/01/15 13:44 UTC
Jaliera

"Thank you Trilena for breakfast and for the information, both are appreciated."

She smiles and the aromas from the breakfast make her realise just how hungry she is. She cannot believe how long she had slept. At home she never has that luxury, there are chores to do first thing and then training to follow. She could get to like this life.

She takes a bite of a sausage, chewing thoughtfully before looking around the others.

"Well I think we have quite a lot to do today. It sounds like the tunnel the boy found and the Sister's injuries might well be tied into the orc problem and I think we should investigate them. Dealing with the orc problem first might help to build our reputation here and might cow the Redbrands and we might gain support from the townfolk if they believe we can deal with them."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 23/01/15 15:34 UTC
Kallista

She sits down and eats lightly, as is her habit. Fruit and some kaffe mostly.

She nods towards Jaliera. "Could be. Let's not forget about Gundren either. I'd like to ask around a bit more and see if anyone has heard of Cragmaw Castle or this Spider person."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 24/01/15 00:38 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn nodded in agreement with Jaliera's words, commenting,

"I'm inclined to agree. Interrogating those Orcs about Cragmaw seems our most likely lead on Rockspeaker, in addition to the benefits you mention. It's a vermin name for a vermin place, the humans here are unlikely to be aware of it."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 24/01/15 14:17 UTC
Jaliera

"Might be an idea to split up, cover more ground that way. Probably safe in groups of two or three though because of the Redbrands."

Having eaten her sausage, she starts on a pancake.

"Mmm these are good. I might ask for the recipe. Marc and Finian would love them."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 26/01/15 15:20 UTC
ooc: Anyone else want to participate in deciding how this new day will shape up?
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 26/01/15 16:08 UTC
Karok

"Well if we be going down into a tunnel, then some of us might be better suited to that. I'd be willing to join someone else there."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 26/01/15 20:56 UTC
Next to the soot-stained fireplace, a pile of blankets twitches and groans.

Chandan crawls out from under a blanket and rubs his face.

Straightening his fine silk scarf, he staggers bleary-eyed, over to the table where the others sit.

He sags into a chair and watches his companions eat and discuss. The old man stares at the sausage and pancakes specifically.

"If we tackle the orcs, we must do so quietly.

"For I have a terrible headache." He says.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 27/01/15 13:34 UTC
Jaliera

She smothers a grin at Chandan's suggestion.

"A quiet approach though has much to recommend it. I'm also happy to verify the location of the tunnel though we may want to gather everyone before we explore too far. If we can talk to the boy, find and scout the location around the tunnel and talk to the woman that was hurt, we could get together for lunch and discuss a plan."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 27/01/15 14:18 UTC
Kallista

She chuckles when Chandan rolls over, and louder at his fond glance. Taking a pair of sausages and rolling them up in a pancake, she takes some grape stems and pins it together, dips it into the honey, and tosses it to the Monk.

"Can't have you toppling over from hunger in the middle of a fight."

Turning back to Jaliera she adds, "I met a couple of miners last night who talked about a Miners Guild sort of place on the edge of town. They might know information there about what lies outside of the village."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 27/01/15 14:21 UTC
Jaliera

"Yes definitely worth talking to them."

She agrees with Kallista as she starts in on a second pancake.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 28/01/15 21:02 UTC
Kriv

Favouring the sausages over the pancakes, the Dragonborn considered,

"I am in favour of swift and decisive action. Let us be focused upon one threat at a time, and apply overwhelming force. Starting with the Orcs. We have the lead provided in the recruitment flyer. Do we need to augment that with further rumour or will it suffice?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 29/01/15 13:30 UTC
DM

Breakfast plates start to empty and the group gets ready for a long day ahead of them. There are many paths they can take but the focus seems to be on handling the orc problem. When they take care of that there's still much to do.

Sildar is not at breakfast. When Elsa brought Kriv's breakfast over she says to him, "Oh, that friend of yours was down early today. He said to tell you that he'll meet up with you at the town master's hall later today once you've taken care of ... the problem ... outside of town." She giggled when she said the problem and she said it with a fake mysterious tone, as if she thought it was funny. She did not, of course, know the exact nature of the problem.

ooc: any objections to moving forward?
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 29/01/15 14:05 UTC
[OOC As Jaliera has stated she wants to explore those areas possibly connected to the orc problem. Lack of preparation & a frontal assault almost got them killed last time. smile ]
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 29/01/15 21:24 UTC
Chandan

The wizened old monk marvels at the delicasy given to him by Kallista, and bows his head deeply in gratitude.

He savours every mouthful, delighted.

"Last time we fought cave-dwelling goblins in the goblins' cave. Unwise maybe, but then circumstance pays little heed to wisdom or folly.

"We do what we must." He says, but adds, "Preferably in broad daylight with orcs in a very bad spot."

[I'm ready to roll.]
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 30/01/15 00:27 UTC
Kriv

He nodded his comprehension to the serving-girl, though he did not share her humour.

"Acknowledged, thank you."

Turning back to his colleagues, "The defender's boon is location. The attacker's boon is time. If we want them to suffer beneath the noonday sun, we had best get a move on."

[Hit it.]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 30/01/15 00:58 UTC
I deleted this post because it was premature.

Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 30/01/15 12:53 UTC
Jaliera

"I am not setting out until we have found the location of the tunnel which might give us a back way in and the element of surprise. And I want to speak to the woman that was injured. Shouldn't take a lot of time but a little time now can save time later and maybe save lives."

She looks around the others.

"I will ask where the boy and the woman live and intend to head there."

She does seem determined and heads to talk to either one of the couple that run this inn to get directions.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/02/15 12:48 UTC
Chandan

"Ah, and so a plan is formed." He says, sounding stimulated.

"Kriv and Karok can ask after the wounded Sister at the shrine. 'What waylaid her in the wilderness?'

"You Jaliera and Davroar could speak to the boy, Carp Alderleaf. 'Where is this tunnel at the edge of town?'

"Kallista and I could speak to the Halia Thornton at the Miner's Exchange. 'Where is Wyvern Tor?'

"Of Gundren's brothers we need not worry. If they are camped nearby, they will surely come into town and hear of us and Jalleira's note."

Chandan stands and looks at his companions and smiles.

"Meet outside Barthen's Provisions at noon, and from there we go smite orcs... perhaps with the aid of newfound knowledge.

"Hooo, brisk work for a morning! Good for working up a thirst!"

[All in agreement say "Aye"! wink ]
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/02/15 12:52 UTC
Karok

"Aye! Sounds like a plan."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/02/15 13:57 UTC
Kriv

He rose to his feet, preparing to head out accordingly.

"A reasonable division of labour. Let us proceed."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/02/15 13:57 UTC
Jaliera

Her plan and better. She smiles and nos happily. Of course being paired with Davroar might have something to do with it.

She moves over to Davroar.

"Ready?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/02/15 16:48 UTC
Kallista

"Fine by me."

(OOC - One edit needed, though. We woke up late, around 10AM according to the DM, so its probably already at least 11 or 12 after we ate. Our meeting time would need to be in the afternoon sometime.)
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/02/15 18:01 UTC
[Pfff. What are we, on vacation!? Let's say we took 30 mins for breakfast then. grin Then we can conduct interviews and meet at noon. Each interview should only take about 10-15 mins.]
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/02/15 18:24 UTC
[I just saw the map that Zeim posted and it says that Wyvern Tor is 70 miles away from Phandelin along the Triboar Trail!! That must be a 4-5 day hike.

Out of character, are we barking up the wrong tree here?]
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/02/15 19:47 UTC
(OOC - Key says one hex = 5 miles, so it's more like 35 miles away. Still, it is several days of wilderness travel away, yes. To reply, OOC, there are several quests that are days of travel away from Phandelin, not just the Orcs.)
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/02/15 21:49 UTC
[Aye, 35 miles I guess as the crow flies. I didn't know if the module just gave various plot hooks you can use in Phandelin, but the actual adventure as written is in a specific direction.]
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/02/15 21:52 UTC
(OOC - It's all tied in. We (speaking for Neptune and myself here) won't be giving you clues to missions that will take you out of the module. Not all missions are key to the main plot line, but they're all accounted for.)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/02/15 22:32 UTC
[ooc: I wouldn't worry about Zeim's maps wink As he said this is all tied in. And as I said earlier this chapter of the module is all over the place and allows different parties to take different paths. And two different DMs may handle things very differently. It's already happened a couple of times where Zeim and I took different approaches.]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 03/02/15 03:53 UTC
[OOC: Sorry everyone but it turns out I'll be slow until Thursday. I'm in these all-day meetings at work that seem to evolve into evenings of raucous, boozy evenings of hobnobbing with the big bosses at work. That's leaving me with very little time or coherence to post. This all ends Wednesday night, at which time I'll start sleeping off the haze.]
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 03/02/15 13:02 UTC
(OOC - Yeah, it's funny. I almost never drink, other than at a wedding or something. But go out with the VPs at work and it's one drink after the other.)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 13:20 UTC
DM
Miner's Exchange (Chandan & Kalista)

The elderly monk and the pretty tiefling warlock head off together towards the miner's exchange. It's a small building in the southwest corner of the town. They walk down the street between the townmaster's hall on their left and the Lionshield Coster, a modest trading post on their right before arriving at their destination.

The miner's exchange is a trading post where local miners have their valuable finds weighed, measured and paid out. Sitting behind the counter is a human woman. She looks up from some paperwork she was reading when the pair walk in. "Good morning," she says as she looks them up and down. "You do not look like miners to me. How can I help you?"

Aderleaf Farm - (Jaliera & Davroar)
Davroar had passed through the Aderleaf farm in wolf form last night and so he was able to lead Jaliera there easily. The easiest way to get there was to walk down the street between the townmaster's hall and the Lionshield Coster and make the first left onto the street that heads back east. They pass a few homes and farms before reaching their destination. The farm is behind a small house and as they approach they see a middle aged halfling woman working the land in back of the home.

Shrine of Luck - (Karok and Kriv)
Karok and Kriv make their way over to the Shrine of Luck. Karok had met the young elf, Sister Garaele, when they had come into town. She was pleasant but cautious at that time, not knowing anything about the new folks in town. The temple is a small shrine made of stones gathered from nearby ruins. She sees the pair and reacts with a smile, "Good morning Master Karok. It seems that Lady Luck is shining upon me. I had hoped that you would return and you bring a friend. Good fortune to you both. I am Sister Garaele," she says to Kriv. "Well met sir."

ooc: please add your location next to your PC name in your posts to help sort things out. There'll be three mini-threads here and I don't want to start new ones for this.
Also, we're going to change the module a small bit by saying that the orcs are on the road to Wyvern Tor rather than at Wyvern Tor to take care of the 35 mile walk.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 13:30 UTC
Jaliera - Aderleaf Farm

"Good day!"

She calls out in a friendly way as they approach the halfling woman.

"Any idea where we might find Carp?"
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 14:44 UTC
Kriv - Up all night to get Luck Shrine.

The Dragonborn gave a sweeping bow, as befit nobility acknowledging a place of faith. In a relatively gentle tone, he replied,

"Hail and well met, Sister Garaele. My associate here informed us that one of your order had been injured in the wilderness, and as we are presently engaged in restoring order and security to this town and it's environs, we considered it a necessity to speak with her about the hazard she encountered in the nearby wilds, so that we may be better able to deal with it permanently."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 18:10 UTC
DM - Aderleaf farm - (Jaliera & Davroar)

The halfling woman looks up when she hears Jaliera call out.

"I wondered when you would come here. Hello Jaliera and ... Davroar. Did I get that right? Welcome, welcome. Why don't we go inside and chat?" she says waving the pair to come with her.

Then she starts walking to the house and leans the hoe she was using against a wall, turns around and calls out in a voice that seems much louder than the little person could possibly muster "CARP! NOW!".

She opens the door and lets them into her house. Jaliera and Davroar need to duck to get through and once inside they find that the ceiling is just a few inches from the top of their heads. "Please have a seat" she says, motioning towards two comfortable looking club chairs. She, on the other hand, moves a kettle over the fire burning in the kitchen and returns quickly into her parlor with a plate of sugar cookies.

"I made these just a bit ago. They may still be warm. So, like I said, I figured you would come here. I heard that there was talk about Carp, my son, last night at the inn. What trouble has he gotten into now?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 18:22 UTC
DM - Shrine of Luck - (Karok & Kriv)

"Thank you for returning and yes, I do have a need that perhaps you can help me with. It was I that was injured and that's what this is all about. As you can see, I am healed but my problem is still unsolved."

"What do you know about banshees?" she asks.

Please roll a religion skill check - DC 10 means you know something about them. DC 15 you know a great deal. Play off of that roll.
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 18:35 UTC
Karok at Shrine of Luck - (Karok & Kriv)

"Banshees? Enough. Undead creature, makes a terrible racket. Nothing any sane person would want to face by surprise."

"That yer problem?"

Religion Roll: d20+3 = 16
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 19:06 UTC
Kallista - Miners Exchange

She enters the Miners Exchange with Chandan and looks around. At the woman's greeting, she nods in reply but glances at Chandan to take the lead.

(OOC - Neil - This is your gig. I know all the details and don't want to lead.)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 20:08 UTC
Sister Garaele - Shrine of Luck - (Karok & Kriv)

She addresses both the dragonborn and the dwarf. "Recently, my superiors asked me to undertake a delicate mission. They wanted me to convince Agatha, a banshee, to answer a question about a spell book. I sought her out but the creature did not appear for me. I suppose she feared me? In any case, I need an intermediary help me in this."

She looks directly at Karok now. "I didn't know you and your friends before but from I am hearing, you took out a goblin lair and rescued Sildar. Tymora has turned my fortune and brought you here to Phandelin. You might be able to help me."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/02/15 23:46 UTC
Kriv

"Inasmuch as it coincides with our broader objectives, we are certainly able to help. Whilst our appearance is not necessarily the most reassuring visage to behold, we do at least have the advantage of not being directly tied to the holy power of the Gods when dealing with an evil spirit. So, where, and what question?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 07/02/15 18:07 UTC
Sister Garaele - Shrine of Luck - (Karok & Kriv)

"The question is about the whereabouts of a spellbook. It once belonged to a mage, a legendary figure named Bowgentle. Agatha's lair can be found outside the town of Conyberry, a little more than a day from here."

"You have my gratitude for considering this mission. It will not be easy to persuade the banshee to provide you with the answer I seek but it is believe that her vanity in life has extended into undeath."

She holds forth a silver comb, encrusted in jewels. "This should be a suitable gift for her and it well worth the price of the answer we seek. If you flatter her, she may accept this in trade for the answer."

"And, as payment, I will give you these. Here is one now, the other three will be payment later. The liquid inside, when quaffed, will restore your health if you or any of your friends are wounded."

For everyone
OOC: They are potions of healing.

BTW, after rethinking things, let's keep the orcs at Wyvern Tor, a day and half away. According to the DMG you can cover 24 miles in a day at a normal pace.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 07/02/15 22:25 UTC
Chandan - Miner's Exchange

Chandan takes great interest in the daily mundane lives of people, seeing in them all the drama and allegory of historical epics. So he's eager to see what exactly the miner's exchange is, and hums an Eastern melody and walks along the lane from the inn.

The food and fresh air had alleviated his headache and he is feeling cheery. (The karsk he drank at the inn may also have helped.)

Hopefully the miner's exchange won't be deserted at this time of the day.

Chandan is comfortable with his tiefling companion. Kallista has shown a generous spirit. In return, he hobbles up to the counter first.

"Hello. Are you Halia Thornton?" He enquires.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 08/02/15 15:17 UTC
Halia Thornton - Miner's Exchange (Chandan & Kalista)

"Yes I am. At your service."

It was morning and miners return from their labors as night falls. Chandan sees several scales, large and small, and other measuring devices on the counter. Halia is behind the counter and behind her you can see scrolls, probably maps used by miners, on shelves behind her. A quick glance at her paperwork (passive perception) he sees numbers, weights, measure and currency. It is probably a log of some sort.

Halia gathers the paperwork and places it under the counter when she sees wandering eyes. She doesn't stop looking directly into Davroar's eyes and doesn't stop smiling the whole time, making nothing of it.

"It is early to bring treasures to me for weighing...unless you two spent all night sifting for gold in the streams or digging into the hillside."

She looks at Kalista and there seems to be a different meaning to her smile to the tiefling. "We don't see many of your kind around here. Is it true that demon blood runs through your veins?"

OOC: Insight roll Zeim. It's a sandbox so not everything is in the printed module wink
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 08/02/15 17:05 UTC
Kallista

She stands to one side and observes the room. Her gaze is drawn back when the woman behind the counter addresses her directly.

With a simple nod, she acknowledges the observation. "So it is said."

Kallista Insight Check
Zeim rolled d20+1 and got 15
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 08/02/15 23:32 UTC

"Exotic," she says with a wry glance.

Kallista senses that she likes her but she's not sure why. She has advantage using diplomacy with Halia but if the opportunity arises, the tiefling senses that she can be influential.

"So, what was it that brought you here. I doubt it has anything to do with ores." She says this to Davroar.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 09/02/15 01:16 UTC
Kriv - Shrine of Luck

He inclined his head, and accepted the gift and downpayment. Honeyed words were a hallmark of his station, it was true. However, unless the banshee was a deceased Dragonborn, he had no idea how to appeal to the vanity of a dead softskin. Most of them all looked the same to him anyway. Hopefully companions of the appropriate species would prove more useful.
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 09/02/15 14:23 UTC
Karok

Praising an undead spirit was not a strength of his either. He wondered if they'd be better off getting another to join them, like the young girl.

He said as much to Kriv as they started off.

"Not one for flattery, I'm not. Of course we can always just try and destroy her if we can't succeed the easy way." he said shrugging.

He believed in the power of his God, especially against undead.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 09/02/15 14:35 UTC
(OOC - Niv - How are you going to be able to get her to answer a question if you destroy her?)
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 09/02/15 17:06 UTC
Kriv - leaving the Luck Shrine with Karok

"Destruction does not serve our objectives in this case," he commented. However, after a moment's consideration,

"Though the threat of destruction might. If the carrot is insufficient, then having a stick we can apply is always useful, and that's something I'd have very little difficulty with. Now, let's see. Sildar wished to speak with me once we'd taken care of the Orcs this morning, and as useful as acquiring fresh resources, especially these healing draughts, will be in rescuing Gundren Rockspeaker, we'll have to hope the others were more successful in pinpointing the vermin's nest. Time is fleeting..."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 09/02/15 18:11 UTC
[[Easy answer, Zeim. Resurrect her afterwards! lol ]]

Chandan - Miner's Exchange (NB: Chandan & Kallista here, no Davroar)

The wizened old monk is still pondering the word 'exotic' when Halia speaks to him.

He smiles in return and bobs his head.

"Oh hmm, we come seeking your local lore. We need directions to Wyvern Tor."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 09/02/15 18:48 UTC
Kallista - at Miner's Exchange

She nods at Chandan's comment. "Yes. Also anything you or your miners might know of goings on outside the town."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 09/02/15 22:34 UTC

"Wyvern Tor? Are you going after Harbin's reward then? Looking for those Orcs?"

She pulls over a high stool and sits down. "Miners run into them now and again. We've even lost one or two. Just never showed up one evening, without explanation. Usually happens in the direction of Wyvern Tor. Most of the miners stick to the west and south side of town now. Very few head east looking for nuggets. Yes. That's a problem. Wyvern Tor is about a day and a half away from here, which is certainly close enough to be trouble."

"Getting to Wyvern Tor means following ... hold on a moment."

She turns around and thumbs through some of the scrolls until she finds the one that interests her. He places it on the counter nd unfurls it. Here's where we are and see this," she draws an 'X' on the map, "This is here Wyvern Tor is. If you're looking for orcs I would search along the Triboar Trail. Orcs will go where they are likely to find merchants to rob and that would be on the trail."

Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 10/02/15 15:05 UTC
Jaliera - Aderleaf farm

She takes a cookie, smiling her thanks, and then attempts to reassure Carp's mother.

"He is in no trouble. In fact we believe he may be able to help us with some information."

She smiles again.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 11/02/15 17:57 UTC

He nods.

"The foothills eastwards of here; how treacherous are they?

"We would rather surprise these orcs than the other way round."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 12/02/15 19:23 UTC
Qelline Aderleaf - Aderleaf farm - (Jaliera & Davroar)

The halfling wipes her hands on a towel before extending them to her two visitors. She had been working the fields and the towel wipe was more symbolic than anything else because it would take water and soap to get those hands clean.

"I'm Qelline Aderleaf and that boy you're looking for is my son. His nickname should be trouble for all the mischief he gets into. Yes, I've heard about his ..."

She stops in mid-sentence as a young halfling, probably ten years old, comes into the house dragging mud as he enters.

"HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU TO WIPE THOSE HAIRY FEET OF YOURS BEFORE YOU COME INTO THIS HOUSE!?!" she scolds him.

Quickly he backtracks and wipes his feet, which are indeed very hairy, on the doormat. "Yes mom," he says in an I've heard it a hundred times tone. "Who are these people?"

Qelline says, "These people heard about the tunnel. They're adventurers and they may be able to help the good people of this town out. So take a seat, young Carp and start talking!"

When Qelline used the word adventurers the boy's eyes lit up. "Adventurers? Jeeze! I want to be one. That's what I want to do!!!"

A stare from his mother ends that line of discussion quickly. He sits down and says, "Yeah. I found a tunnel. What do you want to know?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 12/02/15 19:31 UTC

"No. The trail is not safe. Travelers and miners report running into hungry beasts, greedy bandits and vicious monsters on the trail. Be careful!

She continues to point things out on the map. "This town lies in an area that people call the "Triboar Trail", "Triboar Cutoff" or the "Cony Gap". The old trail connects this town to Conyberry on one end and then the High Road along the coast. "
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 13/02/15 12:03 UTC
Jaliera & Davroar - Aderleaf Farm

Jaliera smothers a smile at the dirty feet. She understands his desire to become an adventurer, she is finding that it suits her very well. She does suspect though that he has a very romantic notion of it, given his age.

Davroar brings things back to the reason for their visit.

"We are looking into a number of things in the area, an orc problem, the disappearance of a wood cutter's family and a missing mage. We heard you found a tunnel and would like to know who uses it and where it is located."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 13/02/15 16:20 UTC
DM - Aderleaf farm - (Jaliera & Davroar)

Carp Aderleaf edges himself forward in the chair and speaks in a quiet voice, his eyes aglow with eagerness.

"I was playing in the woods near Tresandar Manor. You know that place just over there." He points north east. "I was by myself, which was good because my friends don't know how to be quiet like me. Anyway, I found a secret tunnel in the thickets and went looking for a big stick to help me open it. I guess I'm not strong enough to lift the door yet, and that was lucky because not more than a minute later I saw a couple of big ugly bandits came out of the tunnel. I hid in a bush. It was close and I got lucky again because a rabbit came running out of the bush when I jumped in and even though one of the big guys looked my way he saw the rabbit and made nothin of it. So I sat there, quiet as I could be, not twitching at all."

"Those guys waited there for a bit and then I saw two more men. I recognized them. They were members of the Redbrands. I've seen them before. Nobody saw me, but it was a close call! Fortunately I'm very skilled at some things, like hiding."

As he said the last piece he puffed out his chest pridefully.

"If you ask me, they have a hideout there - some sort of secret lair that's under the manor. If you want, I can show you where it is and we can sneak in and take them all out!"

At that suggestion his mother steps in. "There'll be no going with these fine people anywhere. You have chores to do. You can give them directions and then I need you to help with the tilling and weeding."

She turns to her guests, "You mentioned a few other things, like orcs. I might know someone that you should talk to. He's a druid and knows every inch of this area. His name is Reidoth and he recently set out for the ruins of a town called Thundertree, just west of the Neverwinter Wood. The ruins are about fifty miles northwest of here. I can give you directions so that you can find the place easily."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 13/02/15 19:09 UTC
Kallista

She chuckles. "The trail is not safe, huh? From what I've heard the town isn't very safe either. Do these Redbrands shake you down too?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 13/02/15 19:39 UTC

"Those Redbrands are a big problem. They are a thorn in the side of this town. I want to bring order here as with it will come prosperity. That quivering buffoon Harbin is afraid of his own shadow. He won't move on them for fear of retribution. Would you be interested in helping us take care of the problem? I think you might be just the right people for the job. I might be able to give you some information that would help."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 14/02/15 10:42 UTC
Jaliera & Davroar - Aderleaf Farm

She smiles at the young halfling.

"Being quiet and not seen are my specialty too. It helps being small."

She may not be a halfling but she is small for a human.

"And you did a really good job, carp. One thing us adventurers do though is to always make sure we have backup and to talk things through first, in your case with a responsible adult like your mum. The first rule is to stay safe and survive. OK?"

Davroar adds his support.

"That is good information Carp, thank you. And good information about the druid too Ma'am. We aim to eventually leave this place a lot safer for you townsfolk."

Jaliera smiles at Carp's mother.

"And thank you for the cookie too. Don't be too hard on Carp, he just has a natural curiosity."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 14/02/15 12:34 UTC

He looks at the map with wonder, always impressed by such things.

"Orcs first, Redbrands later." He says to Halia with an amiable smile. "What do you know of them?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 14/02/15 17:08 UTC
Kallista - Miner's Exchange

Never one to turn down an offer of free information, she glances at Chandan. "Both topics are of interest. Although, naturally, we will need to talk to our companions and make a group decision. So if you can tell us what you know, and if there is any reward in it, I know I would like to hear it."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 14/02/15 22:37 UTC

She shakes her head. "I don't know about the orcs but I know where you might get more information. And the orcs are not an immediate threat, are they? Look who's hiring you to hunt orcs; a snivellimg rot grub! And how far away are they?"

She comes out from behind the counter and for the first time you see her fully. She is thin and fit. Her arms are muscled and toned. She gets close to both the monk and tiefling and whispers. "The Redbrands are a real and immediate problem. I'm sure you've heard about the suspected murder of Thel Dendrar, the woodcarver, and the disapearance of his family. Cut the head of a snake and the snake dies, right? The outlaws call their leader Glasstaff. Take out their leader, bring me any correspondances you find in the leader's quarters and I'll pay you 100 gold pieces."

Now moving to the door she points down the street "It's easy to find the Redbrands. Those loudmouths loiter at the Sleeping Giant tap house. Go back to the Stonehill Inn and make a right up the street. The Sleeping Giant will be on your left several buildings down. There isn't anything that sleeps around there except maybe a redbrand that might be lying face down drunk in the street. There's always trouble there and the locals know to stay away. I've also heard that they have a base under Tesendar Manor which is further down that street on the edge of town. I doubt you can walk up to the front door, though."

"About your orc problem now. There's a goblin that seems to be a minion of the Redbrands. That might be how you find out about some of those other questions, like about orcs and things."

She walks back to her place behind the counter. As she passes Kallista, her hand brushes the tiefling's back softly and she glances back at Kallista with an aluring smile.

"Do come back with those papers. I look forward to seeing you again."

OOC: At this point all 3 groups are pretty much done with with their little side investigations. I'll give you a brief chance to follow up but I'll move things along by tomorrow.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 15/02/15 12:03 UTC
Jaliera & Davroar - Aderleaf farm

Snaffling another cookie each, the two take their leave, walking amiably back to meet up with the group as agreed.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 15/02/15 15:47 UTC
DM - Stonehill Inn (everyone)

The pairs return to the Stonehill Inn within a short while of each other. It is late morning now, nearly time for lunch.

Kriv and Karok were the first back having met with Sister Garaele at the Shrine of Luck. There they were asked to take on a mission to convince a banshee named Agatha to impart information about a spellbook. They were offered healing potions, and given one in advance, to undertake this assignment.

Chandan and Kallista visited the Miner's Exchange where they talked to Halia Thornton. She tried to convince the monk and the warlock to address the Redbrand problem before they do anything else. In her opinion, they were an imminent threat and she offered 100 gold pieces to take out their leader, Glastaff. She also indicated that there's a goblin minion in their employ that might be convinced to impart information that could ultimately lead to finding Grundren and his brothers.

Jaliera and Davroar are the last to return to the inn. They had met with the halfling Qelline Aderleaf and her young son Carp. Carp had discovered a tunnel in the woods that might be a secret way into the lair of the Redbrands. She also tells the group about a druid that has traveled to the ruins of the town of Thundertree. If they are looking for specific places in this area, he would likely know where they are.

As the six adventurers gather in the inn, there's a buzz around town. It seems that Harbin Wester, has been replaced as town master by Sildar Hallwinter, Gundren's companion that the team had rescued from the goblins a few days ago. Toblin Stonehill, the owner of the inn, approaches the group once they are all gathered. "That friend of yours left word for you to make your way over to the Townmaster Hall after you've had your lunch. I gathered that you've heard the news that he's trying to bring order back to Phandelin. We're all behind him."

Glances around the bar indicate that indeed, he had support of the patrons of this inn.

OOC: I've updated the News, Quests, Rumors, Leads, Persons and Items of Interest thread thread with the recently acquired information. If you feel like you had something to add or finish off in your thread, post it in your next thread retroactively.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 15/02/15 23:31 UTC
Chandan

He has been pondering Halia's words and this news raises one of his wiry black eyebrows.

"Hmm. Very interesting. For this town, the orcs are not the immediate threat, it is the Redbrands. But the Redbrands are still armed men, and it may be that for all their villainy, it is they who keep the orcs at bay."

Chandan thinks on this further, and smiles.

"A happy thought! If we eradicate the Redbrands then maybe the orcs will come to us! Less walking!
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 16/02/15 13:29 UTC
Jaliera

"Good for Sildar! I must admit that I was worried that if we solve any of these problems, that things would just go back to their usual state as soon as others moved in."

She looks around the others.

"Seems we have a number of choices and a number of possibilities to get involved in or not. I too would vote for dealing with the Redbrands as they could do a lot of damage whilst we trek off to find the orcs.. and if they get to hear about us and have time to prepare, we might have a harder job dealing with them later."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 16/02/15 13:32 UTC
Davroar

He is not as happy in a town as scouting the wilderness but in some ways what the others say makes sense.

"Let us talk to Sildar before making any decisions. He may help us in town.. and then if things improve here, may help us with the orcs too."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 16/02/15 14:52 UTC
Kriv

He seemed quite pleased by the news as they sat down to lunch, particularly about the coup.

"Quite the impressive power play from Sildar there, I approve of the outcome. Hopefully he will treat the previous regime with the "respect" it deserves. I agree, Sildar as the first port of call. Not only is it possible his new position carries with it better information, but we may be able to claim his authority to act under, giving us a greater deal of impunity in our actions."
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 16/02/15 20:14 UTC
Karok

"Aye, I agree. If we back Slidar and help him solve one problem, then it makes him look all the better."

"The only other choice would be to split up, but it doesn't sound like that would be a good idea for either the orcs or Redbrands."

"It does seem like the Banshee problem can wait a while for now."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 16/02/15 22:01 UTC
Elsa - Stonehill Inn

The bubbly barmaid is back on duty and she makes here way over to the table where the group is deciding their next step. In her hand is a basket of fresh baked buns and roll and a small tray of preserves, butters and other spreads.

"Hi there! Lunch is on the stove and will be ready in about a half hour. Would you want something to drink until then?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 17/02/15 10:51 UTC
Jaliera & Davroar

Both shake their heads, beginning to look like twins at least in behaviour. Truth is that they had just had cookies and washed them down with water on the way back to the inn.

It seems they are more or less in agreement. Jaliera hopes they find the woodcutters family alive.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 17/02/15 21:29 UTC
Chandan

He eats as sparingly as his spare frame suggests, enjoying tasting a little bit of everything, including a cup of cider or two.

"Hmm, I am refreshed! Shall we go?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 17/02/15 22:31 UTC
DM - Town Master Hall

After a quick lunch the party heads over to the town master hall. Waiting for them there is Sildar who is in the process of trying to get the place organized. He has a clear look of frustration about him. He looks up from a stack of papers when you come in and says, "I was not made to pour over paperwork like this! Alas, you cannot save me this time."

He smiles at his own joke before turning serious, "I'm glad you stopped by. As is plain to see, I've <ahem> assumed a new role."
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 18/02/15 00:50 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn bared some of his teeth in an approximation of a smile.

"Quite. I'd be interested to hear how you managed it, and what happened to your, ah, 'illustrious' predecessor."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 18/02/15 04:32 UTC
Sildar

"It was by mutual agreement. At first he wasn't so sure about our arrangement, but I was quite convincing. It is evident that this job had become too dangerous for him. He'll be doing the important administrative work," Sildar says as he slides the large mound of scrolls and ledgers off to the side with his forearm.

"It seems he was more than eager to hand over the reigns, as long as he could keep his title and pay. We've agreed that he can tell everyone that he's hired me. At this moment, he's back in his house; several doors down."

Sildar is clearly satisfied with this new arrangement.

"As I was saying, I am glad you came by. You know that I've been looking for an acquaintance of mine. After questioning some of the locals here I've learned that Iarno Albrek was here, in town. He disappeared while exploring the area around Tresendar Manor about two months ago. It was just a few days after he arrived here. I suspect foul play is at foot here in Phandelin."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 18/02/15 13:42 UTC
Jaliera & Davroar

The two friends exchange a look.

"That manor is rumoured to be a Redbrand HQ and we have just learned of a hidden tunnel these use to go in and out of the place. The woodcutter here was killed by them and subsequently his wife and child have disappeared too. It sounds like we may find answers there."

Davroar chips in.

"And over lunch we agreed that the Redbrands should be a priority over the orcs, sounds like we have even more reasons to try to sort out this problem first."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 18/02/15 16:18 UTC
Sildar

"If I know orcs, they aren't going anywhere."

When he hears about the secret tunnel he says, "That's very interesting and it makes sense. So, I agree with your plan."

He paces for a moment and looks back at the group. "I'm stuck here for now. Can you investigate the manor and bring back Iarno - or what's left of him, if something killed him? You'll recognize him as a short, dark bearded human man in his mid-30's. If you do that, and take care of the Redbrand problem, I...the town can offer you a modest reward of 200 GP. The bounty for the orcs still stands."
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 20/02/15 15:04 UTC
Karok

"I always enjoy removing orc heads from the necks, but I agree they may come here before we finish, but yes they'll still be there. Sounds like the sooner we get back, the sooner we can get to them."

There was a gleam in his eyes as he spoke about killing orcs.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 20/02/15 15:12 UTC
Kriv

"Whilst I have reasons for prioritising the Orcs, a detour to this manor to extirpate the bandits for a reasonable fee is certainly acceptable. So be it: Our course is thus charted."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 20/02/15 21:43 UTC
DM

You leave the Townmaster Hall behind you, following the simple directions provided by Sildar, and trek down the street towards Tresander Manor, keeping his parting words in mind. "When you appproach the sleeping Giant, you won't be in a friendly neighborhood any more, so be cautious."

It did not come as a surprise when you find your way there blocked by three armed ruffians waiting for you. All of them are humans wearing grimy red cloaks, their hands on their weapons as they watch you approach.

One of the thugs spits on the ground, "Time for you to move on, strangers. Drop all of your stuff, and be on your way."

Attached picture SleepingGiant.gif
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 21/02/15 19:58 UTC
Karok

He nodded to the Dragonborn liking his sentiment. They'd get their chance later to rid the world of more orcs. He'd enjoy it at Kriv's side.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 21/02/15 20:51 UTC
DM

You leave the Townmaster Hall behind you, following the simple directions provided by Sildar, and trek down the street towards Tresander Manor, keeping his parting words in mind. "When you appproach the sleeping Giant, you won't be in a friendly neighborhood any more, so be cautious."

It did not come as a surprise when you find your way there blocked by three armed ruffians waiting for you. All of them are humans wearing grimy red cloaks, their hands on their weapons as they watch you approach.

One of the thugs spits on the ground, "Time for you to move on, strangers. Drop all of your stuff, and be on your way."

Attached File
SleepingGiant.jpg  (102 downloads)
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 21/02/15 23:31 UTC
Karok

Bullies weren't quite in the same level as orcs, but they were way up on Karok's list of people who annoy the dwarf.

He stepped up to the lead man with shield in one hand warhammer in the other. There was nothing cheerful in his tone.

"Ye don't really believe that's going to happen do ye? I'll feel bad if I have to crack yer skull. I'll get over it quickly, but I will feel bad for a bit. Now move along before ye annoy me."

There was no smile on the dwarf's face and it was quite obvious he fully meant to do what he said.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 22/02/15 02:24 UTC
DM

"Awwwww. We got ourselves a tough guy here guys."

The spokesman for the thugs says. Karok, having moved forward, now notices two men hiding behind a cart to his left. He doesn't see any others but that doesn't mean there aren't any here. Up about fifty feet ahead is the Sleeping Giant Inn, a reputed Redbrand hangout.

OOC: Let's everyone take a single turn now....

Attached picture SleepingGiant.jpg
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 22/02/15 13:40 UTC
Jaliera

She moves to the right, seeking the partial cover of the inn whilst drawing her bow.

[OOC: I'm not sure if she has time to fire, not sure who she can see from there, possibly only the 3?]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 22/02/15 15:18 UTC

Some clarification is due.

1) The building that the Redbrands are hiding behind is NOT the Sleeping Giant tavern. That's the next building seen on the north side of the road on the east end of this previous map:

2) If someone says "I am attacking, we stop and roll initiative. Why don't we just do that now. Just in case it comes to blows wink

Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 22/02/15 16:12 UTC
Kallista

She keeps her distance, watching the area behind and to the sides in case others might appear.

Kallista Initiative
Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 21
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 22/02/15 18:45 UTC
Kriv

These brigands had sealed their death warrant: Such blatant criminality would not be tolerated. The Dragonborn insouciantly sauntered forward, his maul held ready but not yet aimed at any of these soon-to-be-dead soft-skinned vermin. He angled towards the north, looking to find a spot where he could have a heated debate with the three who opposed them without catching the dwarf in the blast, ending up beside him. As yet, however, all that escaped his mouth was monologue. He kept his tone flat and deadpan, verging on the edge of sarcasm.

"What do we have here? Oh my, it looks like a group of brigands trying to hold up people in a street. Oh, how terrifying, I am quaking in my boots. I can't imagine how much worse it will be when the inevitable ambush comes crashing in from all sides. Such power. Such might. We'd better do what they say, such poor and whimpering citizens we are in what is obviously their town."

His eyes narrowed, his voice gaining the edge of his hatred and repugnance for those such as these.

"But anyway. Carry on. This little ambush of yours is bound to work, isn't it? Most of you might even survive."

Kriv initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 6
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 23/02/15 11:49 UTC
Jailera & Davroar

As Jaliera heads to her right to use the building there as partial cover, Davroar readies his staff to back up Karok & Kriv against the three thugs.

Jaliera 5, Davroar 10
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 23/02/15 12:29 UTC
Karok

Initiative: d20-1 = 0

[ooc: Seeing the people on the left, he was going to step one square to the right so his shield would be partially facing the people to the right and still attack the brigand before him. (and make room for the Dragonborn).]
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 23/02/15 21:36 UTC
[Initiative 14.]

Chandan

As they walk through the town, Chandan has a good nose through any window he passes close to. He's forever amazed by what one can see by looking through someone else's window, so much so that it's become rather a habit.

Still feeling refreshed after luncheon, and pleased that Sildar has found an occupation, the old monk enjoys the day.

The Redbrands darken that day, but in good faith he waddles forwards, hoping to break the tensions; his hands raised to placate all aggressors.

"Come come, gods of peace weep with sadness when they see mortals fight." He says.

Then he aims a flying front knee at the nearest Redbrand and follows up with a downward elbow.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 23/02/15 22:21 UTC
DM

a place holder before I get things started with this melee...

Their initiative roll:
Redbrand Ruffians Initiative Neptune rolled 1d20+2 and got 17

Of course, your moves were declarations of intent rather actions yet. You all get to act in correct order.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 25/02/15 18:10 UTC
DM

Kriv's words and the general body language coming from the party is enough to get the ruffians to attack. They all have swords, the ones behind the wagon have crossbows. The only person that has had a chance to do anything is Kallista who backs off a bit from the group.

Zeim, they're going to attack but Kallista is the only one with initiative. She can take her full action, totally aware that the melee is starting.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 25/02/15 18:41 UTC
Kallista

She really despises thugs like this. Not waiting for anyone else, she steps to the side and targets one of the bowmen behind the wagon.

Kallista Eldritch Blast
Zeim rolled d20+5 and got 24

Kallista Eldritch Blast Damage
Zeim rolled d10+3 and got 13
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 26/02/15 19:50 UTC
DM

The crackling bolt of energy strikes one of the two ruffians hiding behind the cart, almost killing him. The act of aggression sets the two groups off into battle.

The trio of ruffians all focus their attacks on Karok. Each of the three swordsmen attack twice and two of the blade strikes hit the dwarf, and he drops to the ground.

The two ruffians behind the cart return fire at Kallista, aiming their attacks at her but the crossbow bolts miss her. They both drop their crossbows, run out from behind cover with their swords in hand.

Ruffian-1, Ruffian-2, Ruffian-3 Attack Karok
Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d20+4,1d20+4,1d20+4,1d20+4 and got 24, 6, 9, 9, 13, 22

The first strike was a crit so..
Ruffian-1, Ruffian-2, Ruffian-3 Damage to Karok
Neptune rolled 2d6+2,1d6+2 and got 11, 8 Total: 19 pts

Ruffian-4, Ruffian-5 Attack Kallista
Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4 and got 7, 5

Order of initiative:
Kallista - went
Ruffians - went
Chandan
Davroar
Kriv
Jaliera
Karok - DOWN!

The rest of you go now. That means Chandan, Davroar, Kriv and Jaliera. Ruffian#5 is close to death. We don't need a tactical map. Just tell me who you want to attack, and you may. #4 and #5 are closing but not in melee range of anyone (in case you want to use range attacks).

Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 26/02/15 20:59 UTC
Kriv

His plan remained the same: With the three brigands conveniently bunched up, he was ideally placed to hit all three of them with dragonfire. If he was fortunate, he might catch one of the onrushing ones as well, but the three targets to the fore were his primary objective.

Kriv 15ft cone of fire at Ruffians 1, 2 and 3, (possibly 4 or 5 if they can fit within the cone, as many as possible) Reflex DC11 half
AJ rolled 2d6 and got 6
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 27/02/15 11:04 UTC
Davroar

[OOC: I seem to remember Davroar doing some healing before, he will heal Karok if he can.]

Jalirea

Aiming at Ruffian #5 with her bow.

Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 23, 9 YAY!
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 27/02/15 13:17 UTC
DM

Kriv breathes on the ruffians and the flames engulf them. The crossbowman that had been struck by Kallista perishes in the conflagration. Three others are harmed by the attack. Then Jaliera attacks the other crossbowman and hits him square in the chest with an arrow. It's not enough to fell the ruffian, but he's hanging on to life by a thread. Davroar, seeing that the dwarf dropped, rushes to his side and heals him. Karok's eyes open.

OOC: I gave Kriv the optimal attack area I could. See this post for an explanation of how.

R4,R5,R3,R1 Dex (+2) save DC 11 vs breath weapon
Neptune rolled 1d20+2,1d20+2,1d20+2,1d20+2 and got 3, 16, 21, 9
#5 and #3 save and take 3 points damage
#4 had been hit by Kallista and now takes 6 more points of damage.
#1 takes 6 points of damage.

Davroar certainly has cure wounds. Please pick 4 other spells for him for today. Choices are: Animal Friendship, Charm Person, Create/Destroy Water, Cure Wounds *, Detect Magic, Detect Poison and Disease, Entangle, Fog Cloud, Goodberry, Healing Word, Jump, Longstrider, Purify Food and Drink, Speak with Animals, and Thunderwave. For the Cure Wounds, he needs to touch Karok and he restores 1d8+3 (wisdom bonus) points. Please roll it.

So Karok is concious, but prone, and can attack at disadvantage or he can stand and attack.
I need Chandan and Karok's attacks now. Chandan actually goes first. Once they're all done, Kallista can begin Round #2
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 27/02/15 13:46 UTC
[ooc: Is there a reason not to stand up and attack? Seems like the obvious choice.]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 27/02/15 15:58 UTC
[ooc: Some things are really simple. As far as I can tell, it's really the only thing to do.]
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 27/02/15 17:18 UTC
(I believe enemies have disadvantage to attack you with ranged weapons if you are prone, while enemies attacking with melee weapons have advantage on a prone opponent. You have disadvantage on your own attacks while prone. So since there are no longer any ranged foes, it seems to be an easy decision.)
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 28/02/15 11:49 UTC
Karok

He couldn't get his shield up in time as he was pummeled to the ground. He felt the warmth of healing and knew he owed someone a favor, first though he owed this garbage some dwarven hospitality.

He got back to his feet swinging his warhammer at the closest ruffian.

Karok Swings Warhammer at Ruffian #1
Nivek rolled d20+6 and got 11 (Assuming miss)

Karok calls upon his God's power he swings again.

War domain: Bolts of Inspiration (2/3) bonus action to get another attack.
Karok Swing2 Warhammer at Ruffian
Nivek rolled d20+6 and got 9

And Karok lets out a lengthy littany of profanity as he misses twice.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 28/02/15 21:59 UTC
[Sorry peeps, just got back in the country yesterday.]

Chandan

The old monk leaps into the fray, aiming a flying front knee at one of Karok's attackers and following up with a downward elbow.

[Roll to hit 6+5=11 (miss?)
Roll to hit 19+5=24 (hit?)
Damage 4+3=7]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/03/15 02:27 UTC
DM

Chandan attacks the front-line ruffians with his knees and elbows. The knee misses but the elbow hits the man hard. After the ruffians knock Karok out, Davroar heals him Cure wounds: Davroar heal Karok Neptune rolled 1d8+3 and got 5. So he's at 5 HPs now.Karok regains consciousness but apparently not his fighting composure. He gets up and swings his warhammer twice but both swings are just wild enough to miss the somewhat agile ruffian. They are AC 14 folks. We are back at the top of the next round. Kallista goes just before the four remaining Ruffians get their attacks. They've all been softened. Kallista, give me an active perception check. You said you were keeping an eye open.
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/03/15 09:38 UTC
Chandan

His attacks look remarkably wild and uncoordinated but there must be some technique to it. Staggering and recovering his balance, he lunges at the Redbrands with a double roundhouse. If the first kick downs a foe, then second kick is aimed at another.

[Roll to hit 16+5=21 (hit)
Roll to hit 6+5=11 (miss)
Damage 4+3=7]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/03/15 13:50 UTC
Davroar

Not sure if you have to take healing a number if time - if so first option, otherwise second.

Spells:

First Option: Charm Person, Cure, Cure, Speak with animals

Second option: Charm person, speak with animals, Detect Magic, Fog cloud
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/03/15 16:16 UTC
(OOC - Gypsy - You need to list all the possible spells you might want to cast in a day, limited by your #spells/day. That gives you the menu of choices you have for the day. You are then allowed to choose anything from that menu, as many times as you like, until your #spells/day is expired. So it never pays to select the same spell twice for your initial choices. So, option 2 is better.)
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/03/15 16:19 UTC
Kallista

Kallista Perception
Zeim rolled d20+3 and got 20

(OOC - Holding off on my action until you tell me if she detects something that might change her plan from simply attacking the ruffians in front.)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/03/15 18:27 UTC
ooc: I thought I posted in response to Gypsy, but I guess not.

Davroar's 5 memorized spells: Charm person, speak with animals, Detect Magic, Fog cloud, cure wounds.

He can cast 3 first level spells today. He used one. He has two more. He can cast any of the 5 he knows either time.

He also has 2 cantrips he can use at will: Druidcraft and Guidance

DM
Kalista stood in the back of the front line fighters, looking for a target and, at the same time, keeping an eye out for trouble in the form of another ambush. What she sees, instead, is a lone figure, a man, running up the hill towards the door of the Tresendar Manor. She realizes that at this distance it would be impossible to catch up with him before he reaches the door.

Attached picture sg1.jpg
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sun 01/03/15 21:48 UTC
Kallista

She sees the man running off in the distance, but too far for her to target with any of her attacks. She notes where he is headed and keeps an eye on whether anything happens up the hill, but in the meantime Karok looks to be in trouble with three foes fighting him, so she targets one of those.

Kallista Eldritch Blast Attack
Zeim rolled d20+5 and got 25 (Crit!)

Kallista Eldritch Blast Damage
Zeim rolled 2d10+3 and got 16
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/03/15 12:43 UTC
DM

Kallista kills one of the ruffians that was attacking Karok and her crackling energy blast sucks the last breath of life out of him, leaving three ruffians. Each one attacks a different member of the party and each of their blades finds its mark, drawing more blood from Karok and now from Kriv and Chandan.

Ruffian-1 attacks Karok Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 20
Ruffian-1 damage to Karok Neptune rolled 1d6+2 and got 3
Ruffian-2 attacks Chandan Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 22
Ruffian-2 damage to Chandan Neptune rolled 1d6+2 and got 8
Ruffian-4 attacks Kriv Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 20
Ruffian-4 damage to Kriv Neptune rolled 1d6+2 and got 5
Next up is everyone in this order:

Chandan
Davroar
Kriv
Jaliera
Karok
<end round 2>
Kallista
3 remaining Ruffians

Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/03/15 13:26 UTC
Davroar

He is standing by Karok, having just healed him but still concerned about the dwarf as he looks a little unsteady. However he figures that dispatching the dwarf's attacker is probably the best option and attacks Ruffian 1 with his staff, taking advantage of its reach.

Gypsy rolled 1d20,1d8 and got 3, 6

[OOC Don't think there are any mods but unlikely to make any difference in this case rolleyes ]

Jaliera

Having already hit one of the two who came out from the side of the building, and having seen him fall since, she turn her attention to his partner, ruffian 4, sighting an arrow and letting fly.

Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 19, 8 Hurrah! grin
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/03/15 17:05 UTC
(OOC - I've been debating something with Nep for a while now and I think this encounter has decided for me. I'll be taking advantage of the "change your pc however you like" rule after this encounter.)
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Mon 02/03/15 17:44 UTC
Kriv

Looking contemptuously at the humans that dared strike him, the Dragonborn swung his maul with the intent of crushing the vermin's skull.

Targetting Ruffian 4 if still alive, next nearest Ruffian if not.

Kriv Attacking nearest living Ruffian
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 13
Kriv damage, GWF rerolls 1s or 2s
AJ rolled d6,d6 and got 2, 6
Kriv GWF reroll
AJ rolled d6 and got 3
6+3+3=12 damage.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 03/03/15 12:57 UTC
DM
Chandan, looking totally uncoordinated, limbs flying this way and that, manages to kick the man that he had struck earlier in front of him square in the chest and that blow cracks ribs, pieces his lungs and with a few gurgles of blood, he falls to the ground, choking on his own blood and dies.

Kriv swings his maul at the ruffian but it just misses the target, giving the man a few extra breaths of life. Those last breaths are short lived as Jaliera's arrow strikes him in the throat. Davroar misses on his attempt to strike the one last ruffian but misses.

Karok and Kallista can try and finish him off.

Just a point of information about what Zeim was referring to. As DM's we're learning the system too. While I think we both have a good grip on it, what we're still figuring out is the balance. What's too tough, what's too easy. This was not an easy encounter and it should have been less of a challenge. I adjusted for the game's sake but as a player, Zeim's realized that there's nobody in this party that is capable of (using a 4e term) controlling the field of battle. Everyone is good at one-on-one fighting but not at handling larger numbers of enemies. His switch will give him some control capabilities.
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 03/03/15 13:16 UTC
Karok

With a bit of pent up anger, the dwarf swung again, catching the ruffian hard with his warhammer.

Karok Attacks Ruffian
Rolls d20+4+Channel Divinity (d10=3) = 17
Damage: d8+2 = 9

[ooc: I'm still not sure if I'm adding the right bonuses for attack and damage. Let me know please.]

[ooc2: It might also help if someone pushes the battle crazy healer back away from the front line ;)]

[ooc3: I didn't see healing amount for Karok. What's he at right now?]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 03/03/15 13:34 UTC
DM
Karok vents his anger at the last remaining ruffian, the group spokesman, and plants his warhammer in his side. The man crumbles to the ground.

First, everyone gets 100 xpts.

What are you all doing now?

To answer Nivek's questions:
1) You're using the right bonuses.
Bonus to hit is +2 strength, +2 proficiency bonus.
Bonus to damage +2 strength.

2) It would be contrary to who he is. He just got unlucky this time around but he's probably aspiring to be able to buy better (plate) armor and build up his constitution to survive better.

3) Davroar Cure wounds roll for Karok previously
Neptune rolled 1d6+3 and got 8.

So he had 8, then took 3 so he's at 5 hp.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Tue 03/03/15 15:32 UTC
(OOC - Kallista will be changing from Warlock to Sorceror. Just need time to do the changes........, OK changes done. She is now a Sorceror. Gallery details updated.)
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 13:23 UTC
Jaliera

"I suggest we move away from here and circle around to where those tunnels are."

She is sure this will have attracted unwanted attention.

Davroar

He searches the bodies for anything useful. They may have keys and the like.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 14:57 UTC
Kallista

"Perhaps we should dispose of the bodies? Or at least move them off the main street?"
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 17:09 UTC
Kriv

"No."

The Dragonborn clarified,

"They serve better as a message. Those who feared them will not touch them, leaving their colleagues the task of paying them respect. Few things make you question a uniform in which you expect to be all-conquering than having to bury the bodies of others who wear it. Doubly so if those in charge permit these bodies to fester and rot in the gutter where they fell. This is now what it means to be of the Redbrand Ruffians."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 18:54 UTC
Chandan

"And crows have to eat too." Says the old man.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 18:56 UTC
Kallista

She shrugs. "Just thinking of the children playing in the streets. This is not a military camp. Do you want some 5 year old child to see that?" She points to one of the newly made corpses whose intestines are pouring out of a hole in his abdomen.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 19:32 UTC
DM

Davroar doesn't find any keys but he does find 8 platinum, 15 silver, 8 electrum and 21 copper on the dead ruffians. They are also wearing studded leather and each had two long swords (10 in total). Two of them had crossbows.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 19:33 UTC
Kriv

"A salutary lesson on staying on a law-abiding path, one they are never too young to learn. Besides, children tend to be morbidly fascinated by such things in any case."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 20:34 UTC
Kallista

She pauses at Kriv's reply, glancing to the others to see if they agree with such tactics.

"It doesn't matter to me. If our goal here is to be seen as worse than those we are trying to replace, why not decapitate them, impale their bodies on poles in the town square, and hang a sign on them saying 'Don't mess with us'. Now, that would make a real statement."

She glances to the others once more. "Me, I can do terror all day." She tilts her head up to indicate the small horns on her head. "It goes with the horns. But I'd thought we were going more for hope, and the love of the people."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 20:54 UTC
Chandan

He scratches his head, digging into his grimy dreadlocks to find his scalp somewhere underneath.

Until (somewhat) recently Chandan performed sky burials on a mountainside, so he has little understanding of squeamishness.

"So, maybe today crows dine in private." He says, and starts to drag the bodies around the side of the nearby building.

At least they won't then blockade the road to horse and carts.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 21:22 UTC
Kriv

He did not hinder or impede the vagrant as he dragged their foes through the street.

"Human town, human brigands, human mores, then. Do as you will. But bear in mind it is the ruthless enemies of the common people who lie dead here. That is a source of hope for their victims, and a clear vision of justice for those who have lost family to their predations."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 22:10 UTC
DM

The grizzly work of moving the bodies is completed and the heroes can either proceed up to the front door or listen to Jaliera's suggestion of using the tunnel. Kallista is well aware that someone (probably not friendly) had run up to the front door of the manor during the melee.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Wed 04/03/15 22:16 UTC
Kallista

She helps move the bodies out of the street as best as she can, not being particularly strong, and covers them with brush. "We can tell Sildar they're here and let him decide what to do."

She looks back up the hill. "By the way, during the fight I saw someone run up the hill into the Manor House. They were too far away for me to do anything about, but I presume if there are more Redbrands up there then they are warned."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Thu 05/03/15 13:15 UTC
Jaliera & Davroar

They both help move the bodies. The quicker it is done, the quicker they can continue. Both are aware that they met one of the village children only that morning and have no wish to leave the bodies on blatant display.

"They might not be expected a visitation via the tunnels though."

Jaliera comments on Kallista's latest news.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/03/15 16:56 UTC
[ooc: so that's 2 votes to go investigate the tunnels, I assume? AJ, Nivek, Nemarsde? What say you? Zeim gets no votes wink ]
Posted By: Nivek Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/03/15 19:02 UTC
Karok

"Well I'd vote for the tunnels. I always find I have an advantage underground but I understand if most of you don't feel that way."
Posted By: nem Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/03/15 19:28 UTC
Chandan

His back isn't fond of tunnels, but after dragging the bodies off the road, he straightens with a sigh.

"Tunnels, yes. They might allow us to reach the women and children undetected.

"They might also feed us one by one into a bugbear's maul."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Fri 06/03/15 21:21 UTC
DM

So the entire group turns around and follows Jaliera to Qelline Alderleaf's farm. You spot her once again working the fields. This time her son Carp is there working with her, seemingly resentful of the fact that he's pulling weeds while he could be playing. When he sees the group arrive he runs over to his mother excitedly and she gets up and turns to greet the group.

"Hail and well met Kriv, Karok, Kallista and Chandan. I'm Qelline Alderleaf and that's Carp. It seems everyone between here and Waterdeep has heard of him."

His mother's sarcastic words don't seem to bother the young halfling.

"You want to go to the tunnel, right?"

He turns to his mother excitedly and says, "Can I show them? Please?"

Qelline looks at Carp with the stern look only a mother can provide, "You need to be very safe. Do you hear me? No nonsense. No adventuring. You show these good folk and you high-tail it back here instantly or I'll have the entire town go fetch you!"

With that the lad starts leading the group into the woods. As you leave the farm and approach the woods, you can see the back of Tresendar Manor. When you are just about to enter, you lose sight of the halfling for a moment. He had ducked behind a tree to keep somewhat hidden. He waves you forward and about 100 feet in he stops and points to a large tree.

"The tunnel is right there, in front of the big tree. See that bush and all those branches and leaves? It's right there. They musta had to dig around the roots. Anyway, that's where I saw them come out."

As you study the area around the tree you can see exactly what Carp was talking about. When you turn back to Carp you realize that he's gone. Evidently, he obeyed his mother and headed back.

You will probably need light to enter the tunnel.
Posted By: AJ Re: N-2.0 - Phandalin - On the road - Sat 07/03/15 02:12 UTC
Kriv

Still the pragmatist, Kriv reached back into his pack for his torches, flint and tinder, proffering them to the same people that carried them last time.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post