DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Gypsy RPG Computer Games - Mon 21/09/20 16:09 UTC
Over the last decade or so I have loved: Dragonage, Skyrim and Witcher 3. Happy to recommend them all! grin

I'm now playing Greedfall. Anyone else?
Posted By: nem Re: RPG Computer Games - Mon 21/09/20 18:05 UTC
One that most people haven't heard of, that I really enjoyed, especially the story, was Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning. It was an action RPG with real-time combat, put together by RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane.

They've recently released a remastered version with newer graphics but I hear it has a few bugs. A remastered version of Mass Effect is on its way too, which I probably will give a shot. The original was just a bit too clunky for my taste but I loved Mass Effect 2.

As you can guess, I prefer action RPGs. grin

In terms of your classic turn-based CRPGs though, I have to recommend Divinity: Original Sin and its sequel. Both are characterised by central plots that are far too obtuse and swamped by the sprawling side stories. But the sprawling side stories are such a delight and the combat is very creative and tactical, you have great fun regardless.

In the sequel you select pre-gen characters so their dialogue and story arcs are much tighter. We chose Lohse, Beast, the Red Prince and Fane (you can play both games co-operatively over the Internet with a buddy). It improved the storytelling a lot, rather than having a nameless, amorphous protagonist like in most CRPGs. Sure, when you create your own character you enter a name but it's nothing more than a label.
Posted By: nem Re: RPG Computer Games - Thu 24/09/20 13:35 UTC
I don't know if anyone played Capcom's Dragon's Dogma---I heard good things about it but by the time it came down in price on PC it really needed a remaster---Netflix's have just released an anime series based on it.

I'm on episode 3. It's junk food. I can watch a 25 minute episode in the morning before work, whilst eating breakfast, volume turned down and subtitles on so I don't disturb anyone else. It's not an immersive, engaging viewing experience.
Posted By: Dugan Re: RPG Computer Games - Tue 13/10/20 06:53 UTC
My brother gave me some credit for Steam as a birthday gift last month and thinking on getting Baldurs Gate 3 which was just released. Had a great time playing Divinity:Original Sin and its sequel (although I liked the original better than the sequel).
I have taken a break playing Pillars of Eternity as it was frustrating me when going into certain sections of the game and clearly finding that my characters were too low level for it.
Posted By: nem Re: RPG Computer Games - Tue 13/10/20 09:36 UTC
Check out some reviews of Disco Elysium, Dugan. See what you think. It's not a fantasy CRPG in the usual sense but has me intrigued.

Depending on how you feel about reading exposition, you might also want to check out Tyranny. I tried a free weekend on Steam and there was a lot I really admired and enjoyed about it. Interesting setting, lovely production style and design, and some nice story options. But there was also a lot of exposition, which put me off making the purchase.
Posted By: Dugan Re: RPG Computer Games - Wed 14/10/20 06:37 UTC
Thank you, nemarsde. I did not know about either game until you mentioned them. I looked at both, and Tyranny would be my choice at this time over Disco Elysium as it has the fantasy element I like. Disco Elysium would be a nice break from the fantasy genre, and I have put it on my wish list for future consideration.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: RPG Computer Games - Wed 14/10/20 13:51 UTC
I added Tyranny to my Wishlist too! grin
Posted By: ividia Re: RPG Computer Games - Thu 22/10/20 15:23 UTC
PlayStation has a bunch of deep discounted games right now and a couple free. D/l'd Mortal Shell, MediEvil, and the latest Dues Ex.

I played MediEvil years ago, and it's just a fun, silly game.
Dues Ex, from the little I've played it, seems to me to be a higher tech version of Metal Gear. The main char is an augment though I'd call him a CARC.
Only did a little bit on Mortal Shell so not quite sure about that yet.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post