DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Amadan The Fantasy Trip - Sat 11/08/18 20:03 UTC
How many of y'all remember these games?

[Linked Image]

Steve Jackson Games is running a Kickstarter right now for a reprint of his long-OOP The Fantasy Trip.

Back in the day, TFT was an also-ran competitor to D&D and Tunnels & Trolls. It had a following, and was one of the earliest points-based character systems, but eventually Steve lost the rights to it. You can see the evolution of ideas he first developed for TFT in GURPS, though.

I'm tempted to back this one for nostalgia's sake. Kind of makes me want to run a good old-fashioned dungeon crawl.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: The Fantasy Trip - Sat 11/08/18 20:26 UTC
Heard of it but never played. smile I still have some of his and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy books though. wink
Posted By: Angrboða Re: The Fantasy Trip - Sat 11/08/18 23:55 UTC
I remember playing in a long campaign based on those - way back when ...
Posted By: MikeD Re: The Fantasy Trip - Sun 12/08/18 00:01 UTC
So maybe they actually got it going. That is great! <g> I lost interest before anything materialized <sigh>
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: The Fantasy Trip - Tue 14/08/18 19:16 UTC
I played it back in the day. Along with other minimalist settings like Taste My Steel and others. Could be an interesting element to have around the house again. Though to be honest, not sure I would play it, since I have so many more complex choices, to try my hand at. So not sure I will support the Kickstarter.
Posted By: Don Re: The Fantasy Trip - Tue 14/08/18 20:16 UTC
I played Fantasy Trip many years ago back in the old Detroit Gaming Center. Like all Steve Jackson games FT started out as what I called ziploc games, I remember seeing them in the game store and I actually played Orge/GEV and Car Wars but when I played Fantasy Trip FTF the GM had actual full sized Magazines-style books. It was my first solo game because said GM couldn't get anyone else interested. I played a bard, a real one not a D&D one, based on Richard the Lion Hearted's legendary companion Blondel, an adventurer/spy who sang for a living, but then my GM joined the navy. So like so many games it barely got much past the character creation phase, alas. As I was having a great time poking into the NPCs business, never actually got as far as saving the day though.
Posted By: Angrboða Re: The Fantasy Trip - Fri 17/08/18 20:18 UTC
Will I ever play the Fantasy Trip again ... ?

Probably not ...

Is that going to stop me supporting it on Kickstarter ... ?

**looks at all the kickstarted games boxes still in their shrinkwrap ... **

nope ...
Posted By: Amadan Re: The Fantasy Trip - Sat 18/08/18 12:58 UTC
Originally Posted by Angrboða
Will I ever play the Fantasy Trip again ... ?

Probably not ...

Is that going to stop me supporting it on Kickstarter ... ?

**looks at all the kickstarted games boxes still in their shrinkwrap ... **

nope ...

I feel that.

We should form a support group.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post