DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Gypsy 13th Age - Tue 24/12/13 15:47 UTC
Played this recently over a couple of FTF sessions Gmd by Neil. I really liked it. It had all the flavour of essential D&D with an Exalted edge but with a grown up system behind it.

I particularly liked the easy character creation that gave rise to some really interesting depth to characters. For example "What is the UNIQUE' thing about your character?". Took some thought but the many and varied things added real flavour to the game along with defining relationships to deities which could be positive or negative.

Great fun! grin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 13th Age - Sat 28/12/13 23:49 UTC
Not played it but read quite a bit about it. Makes me wonder if 13th Age and other games like it are going to end up stealing the thunder of the next edition of D&D?
Posted By: The Ghoul Re: 13th Age - Sat 28/12/13 23:54 UTC
Well, 13th Age certainly has the designer pedigree for that.

1UT is a great mechanic. The escalation die (+1 to hit and damage for each round of combat already past) to allow battles to sway from balanced against the PCs to for them over time is a great mechanic. Die roll based power activation (rather than pre-roll decisions) speed play while retaining 4E style cool powers (and make GMing monsters super easy!). And relations with the various powers and the complications this adds to PCs lives is a very cool mechanic.

When you put people like Tweet and Heinsoo free to design what they like, you get a very interesting result!
Posted By: Zeim Re: 13th Age - Sun 29/12/13 15:12 UTC
So when is Neil (or others) going to run a game of this here? wink
Posted By: Gypsy Re: 13th Age - Mon 30/12/13 17:18 UTC
Well Neil might be persuaded. grin I'd play!

And I agree Ghoul, that escalation die makes combat a whole new experience and keeps things moving well!
Posted By: Exeter Re: 13th Age - Tue 31/12/13 00:11 UTC
<holds up hand> If Neil runs it? Sure, count me in!
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: 13th Age - Tue 19/08/14 18:32 UTC
Thanks Gypsy for your comment. It was the line about DnD meets Exalted that made me most want to pick up the game. Now I have another game to read. smile
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post