DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Mina Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Sun 21/08/22 16:32 UTC
Netflix has decided to make a series based on my personal hero, Wednesday Addams. The trailer looks good, I am hoping the series lives up to the source material's dark humor.

Posted By: MikeD Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Sun 21/08/22 17:49 UTC
I always liked Addams family and it would not have been the same without Wednesday!! Looking forward ... hope 'they' don't 'muck it up'!!

Anyone know if there is there a release date yet?
Posted By: Neptune Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 22/08/22 00:09 UTC
Can't wait!
Posted By: Mina Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 22/08/22 01:43 UTC
Mike, so far I think it is just 'fall.' I would think soon.... I mean September/October everyone gears up for the big All Hallows celebrations. Hocus Pocus 2 is coming out at the end of September. It would make sense for a competitor to release Wednesday around the same time.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 22/08/22 09:39 UTC
Made me laugh! grin OK so I got a weird sense of humour!
Posted By: MikeD Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 22/08/22 12:28 UTC
Mina, the sooner the better!! <g>
Posted By: Lionhawke Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 22/08/22 22:55 UTC
Chills!
Posted By: Mina Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Tue 23/08/22 01:26 UTC
Gypsy, me too! LOVED the Piranha scene! Mike, I agree! Sooner would be better!
Posted By: Mina Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Sat 26/11/22 19:32 UTC
So Wednesday is out on Netflix! I binged over Thanksgiving with friends. Has anyone else see this darkly comedic series yet? If so, what did you think?

If not, here is what you might need to know to get you started (no spoilers)

In the world of Wednesday Addams the 'Normies,' or normal people of the world, know about freaks and monsters (termed 'Outcasts' by the politically correct). Some accept those with differences. Most do not.

Exiled to a school where Wednesday can 'fit in and make friends' Wednesday learns that her world is darker, and much much complicated, than she could have imagined. The school, and most of the show, is full of tributes to the dark master, Poe. Raven references are everywhere smile

At Nevermore there are monsters, pardon me, Outcasts... of all flavors. Though the school's four biggest groups are the Fangs (vampires), Furs (werewolves), Scales (sirens), and Stoners (gorgons).

Will our dark rainbow Wednesday actually learn to make friends and get some school spirit?

"You didn't tell me it was a dark, vengeful spirit."

I highly recommend this darkly charming series, full of devastating one-liners, and more than a little bit of heart.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Sat 26/11/22 21:37 UTC
Funny coincidence ... I am watching 'Addams Family Values' while I type this <chuckle>

I have been considering watching for a while because I have =always= liked The Addams Family <g> But I have gotten to the point where I have 'resisted' episodic shows. I wanna watch something and have it all 'resolved'.

Guess I will have to reconsider that now <wink>
Posted By: Angrboða Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Sun 27/11/22 00:27 UTC
I have just finished it. I loved it.
Posted By: Mina Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Sun 27/11/22 17:55 UTC
Angrboða, me too! And Mike, while they leave a few threads that can be picked up, if there is a season 2, season 1 of Wednesday resolves all major storylines by the end of episode 8. No major cliffhanger endings, if that helps you change your mind smile
Posted By: MikeD Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Sun 27/11/22 19:43 UTC
<heh heh heh> yeah. It certainly helps, thanks!
Posted By: Neptune Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 28/11/22 05:20 UTC
Watched it. Liked it. Wouldn't say love but it was entertaining.
Posted By: LaBerge Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 28/11/22 09:13 UTC
I'm with you Neptune. Just finished it today and I enjoyed it well enough. Ending was a bit shaky but it was a fun ride.
Posted By: nem Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 28/11/22 19:13 UTC
Just watched the first two and am enjoying it so far. I'm not 100% sold on the setting. Wednesday's edge is dulled a bit by attending a school for werewolves, vampires, sirens and gorgons, etc.. They're all murderous monsters of lore, so is Wednesday really that dark in comparison?

But other than that slight... tonal dysjunction, it's up there with the best things I've seen on Netflix. So MikeD, if you pay for a subscription, might as well give the first episode a try. 45 minutes long, 8 episodes in total.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 28/11/22 19:18 UTC
So what is wrong with 'them' getting some schooling??

And ... while I am reluctant to start watching a 'series' ... I am giving this one some serious consideration <wink>
Posted By: Mina Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 28/11/22 20:00 UTC
Nem, I liked the school aspect. The other 'monsters' trying their best to be normal (social media junkies, etc.) and fit in (mostly) while Wednesday by comparison embraces her dark side.
Posted By: Lionhawke Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 28/11/22 21:36 UTC
Started last night. Love it!

When do we get a storyline game going? wink
Posted By: MikeD Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Mon 28/11/22 22:03 UTC
You volunteering to run it?? <weg>
Posted By: Lionhawke Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Tue 29/11/22 00:17 UTC
Ha!

Last time I ran a story -- all the characters walked out and didn't come back! wink

Actually, I decided I'm not a very good GM, but I like writing with you all.

And besides -- who knows what Gypsy's got planned for our Scooby Doo kids once they get out of the pub.
Posted By: Phoenix Prime Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Tue 29/11/22 02:19 UTC
you are a good GM... and, if if you are referring to the game i think you are, then none of what was happening was your fault. just a few different viewpoints on what the game represented to different players. all of us players could have handled it better, for sure. But it wasn't your fault at all.

hugs
Posted By: MikeD Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Tue 29/11/22 14:03 UTC
I hear ya on the DM thing. Gave it a shot some years ago. Didn't last long :-/
Posted By: Mina Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Tue 29/11/22 19:43 UTC
Mike you gave it a shot? That is why a gun holds six chambers... Shoot that puppy (figurative puppy) again!
Posted By: MikeD Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Tue 29/11/22 21:01 UTC
No. Much as I might wish it was otherwise ... I learned that I am not 'made like that' <sigh>
Posted By: Mina Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Wed 30/11/22 01:02 UTC
You know, Mike, Nivek feels a bit the same way. Maybe if the two of you team up you could do a game! (totally helpful Mina).
Posted By: Wolf Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Wed 30/11/22 05:42 UTC
... still not as creepy as your stuffed unicorn collection.

Wednesday works because it is exactly that. It keeps it's focus on Wednesday Addams. On one hand it is an odd and very predictable mix between Nancy Drew and certain New Yorker Cartoons - I tagged the monster in two episodes and once potential villains started biting the dust the big bad became obvious.

But it doesn't matter.

Thirty years ago Christina Ricci broke out Wednesday Addams as the dark horse of the family and now we get to see her watch Jenna Ortega absolutely nail the role. She doesn't steal the scenes, she carries them. And it's interesting. Of course it's not the same Wednesday from The Addams Family or Addams Family Values ... she's a Wednesday a few years older and now the most feared of monsters ... not just a teenager - but an Addams teenager!

That she makes mistakes is good. That she can be beaten is good. That she doesn't let it defeat her is better.

As for other conversations, making this a successful game would be much harder than it would seem. Because it's not the tale a snarky darkness loving girl hunting a monster in a school full of quirky outcasts.

It's a character study.

And that's why it succeeds.
Posted By: Mina Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Wed 30/11/22 22:51 UTC
Wolf, agreed. I had the who-dunnit part figured out very quickly as well. The mystery was a minor allure for me. The razor wit was what kept me going. I also agree, the fact that Wednesday is not the unstoppable force of the school was a good thing, IMO. She was just the darkest force there smile

I would love to see a game based in Nevermore though. A school for Outcasts full of mystery, mayhem, and snarcasm. Gossip Girl or Pretty Little Liars for the monster-set.
Posted By: nem Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Thu 08/12/22 19:37 UTC
And actually, when you reflect on it Wednesday didn't solve the mystery. The solution was revealed to her when she had a vision of the murderer. Deus ex machina, basically.
Posted By: Lionhawke Re: Wednesday Addams (fall 2022) - Thu 08/12/22 19:48 UTC
It was scrumptiously fun! 😈
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post