DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: MikeD American Gods - Thu 13/06/19 20:33 UTC
Just started watching this. I am a couple of episodes into season 1 and I am currently wondering how much more I am going to watch.

Some fun, intriguing characters (the only reason I am still watching <g>), but (story wise) it seems =VERY= disjointed, quite confusing and I am thinking I may give up pretty soon :-/

Anyone else watching/watched this? Does it 'get better'?
Posted By: Neptune Re: American Gods - Thu 13/06/19 21:46 UTC
I read the book and have watched the both seasons. I like it but it's not for everyone. The story is, well, out there.
Posted By: MikeD Re: American Gods - Thu 13/06/19 22:47 UTC
OK ... I have gotten through 4 episodes so far. My problem is less about the 'story threads', but more about the 'jumbled' presentation <sigh> I guess I am getting too old for the 'new way of walking' :-/ I relate better to something more linear <vbg>
Posted By: Neptune Re: American Gods - Fri 14/06/19 15:36 UTC
I hear you. It really is an unusual series. It's pretty linear. Everything has to do with Mr. Wednesday and Shadow Moon. It should be pretty clear that Mr. Wednesday is a god and that Shadow is his... well, for lack of a better term, lackey. Most of the other characters are also gods or some mythical creature like leprechauns and zombies. The story is simple, there are new gods and they want to take over. The old gods are trying to stay relevant and continue to exist.
Posted By: MikeD Re: American Gods - Fri 14/06/19 16:26 UTC
<heh heh heh> Yeah. 'We' meet one of those 'new gods' in one of the first few episodes. I have to say ... I like the 'old gods' a =lot= better <chuckle>
Posted By: Zeim Re: American Gods - Fri 14/06/19 17:55 UTC
I presume Mr. Wednesday is a reference to Odin as "Wednesday" is named after Odin ("Odin's day")? In addition I think there are references to Ravens and a lost eye around Mr. Wednesday.

Also I think as you go thru the episodes you can infer specific gods to characters.
Posted By: MikeD Re: American Gods - Fri 14/06/19 18:47 UTC
Yup ... Wed. is Odin <g> The lost eye has not made an appearance in the show yet ... wrt Wed/Odin <g>

I was so distracted by the 'presentation' that I wasn't considering all the 'who is whom' :-/

Still trying to decide if I am going to consider <sigh>
Posted By: Neptune Re: American Gods - Fri 14/06/19 19:11 UTC
On a scale from 1-10 I probably give the series a 6 so far. Acting is good, but it's not for everyone. The book wasn't either.

On the other hand, watch Good Omens on Amazon Prime - by the same author (Neil Gaiman). It's much more cohesive and it's a terrific plot.
Posted By: MikeD Re: American Gods - Fri 14/06/19 20:58 UTC
Sadly ... until it shows up on NetFlix ... I won't be able to watch it <sigh>

But it is on my 'radar', so if it =does= show up ... <weg>
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post