DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Gypsy Leonard Cohen - Sat 12/11/16 14:07 UTC
Died Monday 7th November aged 82. Grew up on his music. Still listen often. One of the greats!

Quote:

Cohen was the dark eminence among a small pantheon of extremely influential singer-songwriters to emerge in the Sixties and early Seventies. Only Bob Dylan exerted a more profound influence upon his generation, and perhaps only Paul Simon and fellow Canadian Joni Mitchell equaled him as a song poet.

Cohen's haunting bass voice, nylon-stringed guitar patterns and Greek-chorus backing vocals shaped evocative songs that dealt with love and hate, sex and spirituality, war and peace, ecstasy and depression. He was also the rare artist of his generation to enjoy artistic success into his Eighties.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Leonard Cohen - Sat 12/11/16 15:38 UTC
I got distracted. I heard this Tues morning, but had thrust it from my mind ... trying to deny the reality ... by the time I got here <sigh>

While he was not someone I listened to on a regular basis, I did enjoy his genius!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Leonard Cohen - Fri 25/11/16 14:13 UTC
Leonard Cohen is hugely revered by just about every songwriter I know. When I saw Luna Rossa last weekend they covered "Anthem" as a tribute as the last song of their set.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: Leonard Cohen - Fri 25/11/16 14:22 UTC
Nice! He was certainly on par with Dylan IMO.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Leonard Cohen - Fri 25/11/16 15:32 UTC
Talking about both Cohen and Dylan with Anne-Marie Helder on Sunday night (name-dropping, I know). There are a lot of people who respect Dylan's songwriting but can't stand his voice, and prefer his songs when covered by others.

Singer-songwriters love Cohen's and Dylan's songs because they can interpret the songs and make them theirs without having to slavishly copy the original arrangements.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Leonard Cohen - Sat 26/11/16 01:39 UTC
I have been thinking about that very thing a lot recently ... when I would hear a 'rendition' of a well known song that someone tried to 'personalize' or try a new take on it that just didn't quite make it. Some songs are ... 'flexible' while others seem not to be.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: Leonard Cohen - Sun 27/11/16 14:27 UTC
And I was one who preferred Dylan as a songwriter, rather than singer.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Leonard Cohen - Sun 27/11/16 20:05 UTC
<heh heh heh> There were a couple of songs where his voice worked well enouh, was even appropriate, but there are other songs ...not so much <g>
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post