DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Anonymous 2015 Hugo Nominations - Wed 08/04/15 19:07 UTC
Given his comments last year I wonder jist how big a bowl of popcorn Amadan has got himself this year.

Here's a few thoughts of mine:

http://www.kalyr.com/weblog/sf-and-gaming/sf/more-thoughts-on-the-hugos/
Posted By: MikeD Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Wed 08/04/15 22:08 UTC
Nice bit. But a few observations.

As a former frequenter of SF cons, I can tell you that 1.) not many authors show up at them ... beyond the two or three that they pay to show up for panels and the like. 2.) Most of the convention goers that I know were more interested in the partying than in the Hugo nominations.

I have always thought that the Hugos were more about the sales numbers and the publishers jockeying position. That isn't to say that they are useless or unwarranted. It is more like they don't always get it right <g>
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Wed 08/04/15 22:23 UTC
Though it's been said a lot that being nominated for a Hugo doesn't actually do a lot for sales, and many Hugo winners weren't particularly big sellers.
Posted By: MikeD Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Wed 08/04/15 22:35 UTC
Doesn't stop the publishers from trying to lobby for the award. Despite the verifiable returns, they =love= to have them hanging on their walls <chuckle>

I have to say that the only group that I know that has fewer nice things to say than authors about their publisher is musicians talking about the labels <weg>
Posted By: Amadan Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Tue 14/04/15 01:10 UTC
I've gotta be honest, I'd pay money to go to WorldCon if it meant watching Vox Day accepting a Hugo in person.

It would be like watching Darth Vader accepting the Father of the Year Award.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Wed 15/04/15 20:32 UTC
Marko Kloos and Annie Bellet have both withdrawn their nominations, with Bellet stating she's had enough of being a political football.

It's going from farce to tragedy now sad
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Mon 24/08/15 08:08 UTC
"We had to burn the village in order to save it"

http://www.kalyr.com/weblog/sf-and-gaming/sf/noah-ward-sweeps-the-hugos/

Whatever your politics, loudly cheering the announcement of "No Award" when one of the nominees is present in the room is out of order. Not much of a surprise that she walked out.

It leaves the impression that Science fiction fandom is made up from adult children who have never managed to move on from the traumas of high school.
Posted By: Art in the Blood Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Mon 24/08/15 10:19 UTC
Must everything in life be infected with politics? My only commentary on the matter.
Posted By: Neptune Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Tue 25/08/15 04:53 UTC
Sad. Very sad. This feels like the end of something that once had value. It seems that the disease that is political polarization has spread to hallowed grounds.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 2015 Hugo Nominations - Wed 27/04/16 10:06 UTC
And here we go again...

http://www.kalyr.com/weblog/sf-and-gaming/sf/booky-mcbookface-by-noah-ward/

Space Raptor Butt Explosion, anyone? (Is that title too Section 23?). And an episode of My Little Pony as well.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post