Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Miales, Nivek), 24 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Shojo Shumatsu Ryoko

Girl's Last Tour

Slice of life at the end of the world.

The first episode was quiet, beautiful, empty, memories of what was were portrayed like memories - bits and pieces, shattered like a broken mirror, a parting fading away like the end of an old silent movie and soft and the dialogue was about everything and nothing and exactly what everyday chatter would be like and above all so very very human.

If they can keep it up this will be one to keep.

I had though the Fall season would be lackluster - now I have a show I cant wait for the next episode.

Both Girl's Last Tour and Made in Abyss (another excellent show from last season) use chibi style characters ... and then place them in a darkly real world. And what happens is unexpected ... the story doesn't become cute ... it becomes stronger and more riveting.

M
M
They sound interesting. Guess I will have to go hunt them up <g> Thanks for the pointer.

MikeD
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
it's also very interesting ... both Made in Abyss and Girl's Last Tour seem to be variations on the "Hero's Journey" story ...where its not as much the goal that is important but what happens on the journey ... who you meet, the trials you overcome ... do our heroes have the strength to actually complete the journey ... that is the story

Made in Abyss is very definitely that kind of story. Girl's Last Tour is set up for this - except it's only on it's first episode.

And their journeys are so very very very different.

I can't believe I didn't mention Made in Abyss to you - its gorgeous, entrancing, and edge of your seat adventure.

Last edited by Wolf; Sat 07/10/17 14:31 UTC.
M
M
But that is =SOOooooo= many story plots ... there are only 3, after all <wink>

MikeD
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

Well ... they are remaking Kino's Journey this season too. I'm not sure if its a remake or a loooooooooog delayed more-countries-to-visit-kind of thing. The fact that it has more characters than Kino and Hermes is a bit strange ... but we shall have to see.

Kino's Journey was a true journey tale - Kino rids across the world, staying only three days in each "country" ... with a country being a localized city or well defined area the size of a large city and its environs. Each city is different and each explores a different human quality or condition ... that Kino experiences before then moving on.

It was a very good show, back in 2003

Somewhere I have a Hermes license plate ...

M
M
Just finished watching ID-0 on NetFlix and thought it was an interesting story line. The animation was pretty traditional for that sort of SciFi Space Opera. The story follows some 'fringe folk' in a spaced based 'humanity' as they try to unravel a mystery that could 'end' humanity. I liked the story. It followed a 'traditional' line of being pretty straight forward for the first two thirds of the (12 episode) season ... and then going 'off the rails' in a completely 'unexpected' direction. I say 'unexpected' even though I expected something like it ... but it was not something I had expected <wink>

While not the best stuff I have seen, I certainly didn't regret the time I spent watching and will watch another season ... if it materializes. They =did= pretty much close all the loops, so it isn't like there is a 'cliff hanger' that could be used to 'sell' the next season <wink>

MikeD
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh my! I watched the first three episodes on Kissanime ... and just today I started watching it on the big TV smile and now I guess I'll have to watch it all the way through!

M
M
There are just 12 episodes (so far) ... so shouldn't take =too= much of your time <wink>

MikeD
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Shojo Shumatsu Ryoko

Girls Last Tour ended this weekend. Chi and Yuuri's travels together didn't end, but I think that's the way it's supposed to be. No conclusion, no final closure, somehow it's just so much better to think of them in their Kettenkrad in the snow, still trying to find the highest level in the city and it doesn't matter if they ever get there as long as they are together.

This is one of those series that truly defies definition. It's the end of the world and there's no bang, no whimper, just quiet. It's a road trip with no action, but there is certainly adventure, but it's a gentle adventure through an empty world ... that isn't very empty. It is filled with things beyond understanding, but that's just because it is suddenly so apparent how everything we take for granted becomes inscrutable just a half step away.

There's no angst, no terror, no zombies, no plague or fallen asteroids - but there are cats, of that's at least what they want to call them, not really ever seeing a cat before, let alone know how to pronounce a word that only Chi has read.

But it's exactly what the end of the world would probably be like, if it was just you and your best friend and a motor machine, where home - no matter what you imagine a home might be - is actually, wherever you are, together.

It's thoughtful. The dialogue is simple, yet it touches on all of what it means to be human.

I was sad when it was over. I wanted to hear Chi and Yuuri bicker more. But you know, in the end that didn't matter. What mattered is just how much they actually do care for each other. Not care as in romance or duty or or anything beyond just being together.

It was a perfect ending.

But it left me asking one really odd question ...

Girls Last Tour could never have been made over here. Or at least, never anything more than a one off film that might get some recognition as it wound through the art houses. Never, never a series on television. No explosions. No families on the run. Nothing happened ... because nothing happened, everything did. Why not? Why can't we have good things like this over here?

Perhaps, perhaps, just like Chi and Yuuri's journey, we have forgotten that there is a value in slow and not fast, in quiet and not loud, and instead of being force fed entertainment, it's kind of nice to be, just, every now and then ...

... thoughtful.

M
M
Sounds very ... 'traditional' <g> Sadly, I don't see it on NetFlix <sigh> Will keep an eye out for it though! Thanks for the pointer <g>

MikeD
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
yah ... I suspect it will be a long while before this shows up on Netflix.

On the other hand it is available from Amazon/Anime Strike - which also has Made in Abyss and Princess Principal.

It is in the same family as Aria and Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko (Record of a Yokohama Shopping Trip). Both are absolutely gorgeous, quiet slice-of-life stories which are literally that; simply a window into the lives of someone else.

Aria is a tale of a girl who wants to become a gondolier. It is just .... nice. Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko shares with Girls Last Tour's post apocalyptic world - but Alpha's (our main character in Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko) world is not as destructive as the war torn cities of Girls last Tour and there are still people around as the world fades away ... but in all of these its not what the show is about - its about the relationships between the characters and how they perfectly fit in their respective places.

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 26/12/17 21:22 UTC.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
J-J Vomact
J-J Vomact
Old Bridge, NJ, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,825
Posts140,429
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy