Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 16 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Lyric, curious minds want to know...

She nodded but as Cesare stepped out, the Minstrel remained still, watching him. She cocked her head sideways, her eyes tracking his feet and then up his body, trying to take in the fullness of what he was doing.

"Is that a saunter," she asked as she then skipped a few paces to catch up. She was still watching him, his feet then his face, back to his feet. "I have never seen a saunter before. It looks like walking, and so I wanted to make sure. I don't want to miss sauntering along with you."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Now a saunter is much more than just a walk. It is a deliberately slow walk, casual, uncaring but also in the background full of attitude. It tells the world that you have no cares, that you can stand your own ground, that maybe you are not someone to be messed with.."

He flashes a grin.

"Yes a saunter is a real statement.. but at the same time comfortable.. especially if you are not in a hurry."

He chuckles.

"So chin a little higher, head at a slight angle, confidence in the body."

He instructs from the side as they walk.

"Any ideas on a song then? We could do one about a mill.. or about a small community.. or about a partnership as the Millers definitely have one.. or maybe a sauntering song?"

He winks.

OOC: Can you imagine the ministry of silly walks right about now?

Lyric, slow and casual with a pocket full of attitude

Lyric set herself to the task. She would learn to do this sauntering walk. It seemed like fun and it had already distracted her from the task at hand. Attitude she had, but how to make it casual, almost indifferent, yet not uncaring? How then to be confident without being arrogant?

And so she stepped out, in a comical exaggeration of Cesare description and depiction. It was almost like she was a marionette puppet on unseen strings, whose limbs were overly loose and slouched too low for any proper semblance of good posture. All wobbly and loose, and she laughed as she did. Was she doing it on purpose? It obviously amused her to act a little clownish.

"I like it... I am... SAUNTERING... and we are sauntering."

"This is fun, and the music is in my head," she added softly as she kept walking. "Andddd... SAUNTERING..."

As she walked like her joints didn't work properly, she began to pick the strings to form a melody. Even with the goofy walk, she proved she had complete control over body and rhythm as she could 'silly' walk and play the mandolin at the same time.

(OOC- Think 'Blackwater Side' as sung by Liam Clancy for the tune and even some lyrical inspiration. Don't know what those lyrics will be, but the song itself has some relevant imagery, even the title)

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He chuckles.

"I think you are getting it."

And he tucks his thumbs into imaginary lapels as he saunters with even more intent.

"So the sauntering song..?"

And he adds words to the tune as they saunter.

"Saunter on by,
Shoulders back, chin high,
Without a care in the world,
Do not thwart or think to mock me,
For I let the world pass by me."

He chuckles again.

"Might do as a chorus I guess."

Bekkah

She sipped her own drink and smiled apologetically.

"Alas, you will have to get more detailed information from others. I crossed half a bridge in the Prince's domain when I was engaged in an discussion with him. Well, it was more that I was explaining how I would make a terrible bride for him despite his objections. Before, I could do much else, the dams had been broken, flooding out the area further on. So I don't really have any more answers for you."

"There is evil in that forest to be certain. How and from where it originated, I do not know. I would not even venture to say it was from the east. Obviously some power has kept the Prince alive all this time, but he is quite mad and I suspect that power whether he is a victim or he sought it out is evil."

"I am glad to be done with the place and I hope the prince is finally at rest."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood
The Dirkwood Forest
Waverider’s Watch
Marketday, the Ninth Day of Yrick

Bekkah, Lyric, Cesare, Keiko … Tomomi, Hinata Cat, One Fang, Broke and Wuff-Wuff and Dominic and Miss Emerald … but mostly Bekkah

The Sun was slowly starting its descent, from zenith to the western horizon. This meant that lunches would soon be finished and after a little bit more folks would be packing up their wares, the farmers to return to their homes, the merchants the main caravan and the Forest Folk back into the Dirkwood.

It also marked the close of the conversation between Bekkah and the Marrennen Priest.

“You turned down a proposal from an Imperial Prince?”

That got a clap of hands and smile from the merchant.

“Oh my! That is telling. And so there is also romance in your tale! Folks like to listen to stories that are laced with something romantic. A beautiful priestess, a meeting upon a bridge – was it at night and under the moonlight? And he was instantly so smitten by a mainland lass’ beauty that he wanted you for his wife!

“And fate would not have it so, that the Forest had twisted him into something so horrid even the most kind could not bear to end his loneliness. A beauty and a true beast.”

The merchant grinned, as if he knew just how fast this story would move up the Highland Path.

“Then I am glad that you have managed to return with your own soul untainted. That would have been a tragedy. Though, academically, one would wonder that if he were so touched, why was he not abandoned by his god… or …”

The merchant tilted his head.

“Or was he?”
Sitting back and straighter, the Marrennen nodded.

“Could you then introduce me to your companions? I would love to hear their stories too.

“It’s what we merchants do.”

Lyric, The Sauntering Minstrel

Betwist and Between. With Snippets and clippets of song and tune, Lyric and Cesare would construct a Sauntering Song. It was a silliness, no doubt, but it was worth the fullness of the time devoted and then some. These past few days had seen no small measure of heartache and sadness intertwining with the great goodness and joy of the rescuing task to which they had set themselves.

But Lyrics mind was complex and Chaos was a companion to the Minstrel, and she could play at the Sauntering with the Rhoni Lad whilst composing words and tune for the Miller's Wife. In fact, Cesare was integral to this effort. He kept the Minstrel's mind from slipping into a singular thought path where order reigned supreme. Without Cesare, Lyric would probably find herself lost in the stillness that came when she paused to ponder things more deeply.

And in a moment between vesers and sauntering, Lyric clipped a small piece of metal to a fret high up the neck of her mandolin and began to play a different tune. And she sang a song...

One ev'ning fair, where I chanced the air
out by BlackWater side...
As I gazed in awe around me
That the Miller's Wife I spied.

There upon a hill, broad blades stood still
above BlackWater side...
Come to watch She Crossing the Sky
And her smile was one of pride

Her Home, Her Home, so far- away
From every- where-- else
And yet they all come, to trade and play
You would think this was the Crown

WaveRider's Reach is the place she loves
but no one knows how deep
As she hides her smile, to watch from above
The Miller's Wife guards her home

So now I go, and wander I will
Beyond BlackWater side...
In this town between forest and sea
forev'r my heart will abide

Forev'r my heart will abide.

Bekkah

Ever the lady, she showed no signs of the internal groaning she was doing over his excitement. The last thing Bekkah Yurisdotter wanted was stories about her. Her humility was genuine. She preferred to simply be one of the people. It's truly who she was.

"I honestly don't know about his God, but I suspect that Rames left him many years ago."

"And yes, I'd love to introduce you to my companions." she said getting up, this time the smile was quite genuine.

If he accompanied her, she'd introduce him to the first person she saw.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Messenger in Korie livery
9 Yrick 2625

The young man carried a pack that looked fairly heavy; his attention was focused on the tower... and the stone steps that seemed to grow in number each month. This month, there were as many stairs as days in the year. By this time next year, he expected them to number more than the stars in the sky.

However, when he saw the Lady of Attera, he smiled and slipped his hand into the pouch at his side. At least the strange woman with a sword only asked him to carry envelopes that were lighter than feathers. Or so they seemed. Everything was relative on the journey out to Waverider’s Watch, especially since Midsummer.

He didn’t want to disturb her conversation with the Merchant Priest, but when she stood, he took that as a good sign.

“Lady Bekkah?” It was only protocol that made him ask, of course. The swordswoman’s description of the Healer had been remarkably accurate. He offered the envelopes to her, bowing slightly — as one did, of course, in the presence of the Imperial Priests and Priestesses. “Messages from someone who called herself Lady Daxia.”

It wasn’t that he doubted the ‘Lady’ part, per se. It was just... well... women who carried swords weren’t Ladies. Not in the Noble or even Minor Noble sort of way, at least. And certainly not in an Imperial way! He’d been raised to be polite to all women and would never use some of the words he’d heard for the women who carried swords. Especially not one who was every bit as polite as his mother, traveled in the company of another Lady of Attera, had her own fierce-looking apprentice and deferred to a young Dama who looked suspiciously like an Allaine. Not that the swordswoman didn’t look a lot like an Allaine, too, with that red hair. But she had blue eyes, not the green eyes of the other woman.

Still, if Lady Bekkah recognized the swordswoman as a Lady in her own right, it would be prudent to use the woman’s title.

“She said you wouldn’t have an immediate response, so I’ll just take the rest of this up to the fellows in the tower.”

[OOC: See PM for letters.]

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Lovely! And Mistress Miller now has her name etched in history.. well eventually she will have."

He grins.

"Ready to head up now?"

Bekkah

She watched the man approaching her. His words were greeted with a magnificent smile as she took the letters.

"Thank you. No message." then a mischievous grin came upon her face that made her look younger.

"No, there is a message." she said moving to him, giving him a tight hug.

She released him still grinning.

"Just tell her that it's a return message from Lady Bekkah first though and she'll leave your arms attached to your body." she said still smiling.

Without another word, she pocketed the letters and moved off to sit and read in the sun.

Lyric, ready or not...

The Minstrel took a deep breath, nodded, and said, "I think so."

She fell in with Cesare, but she looked over her shoulder to the treeline again. Soon this Market Day would be over. The Forest folk would head back to Home, and the paths between them would diverge.

Before Lyric loomed an uncertain future in an unknown world. Her people were so isolated and so reclusive that this first journey along that lightly travelled path beside the Dark Forest was daunting and nearly overwhelming. But she took those steps, and she made a friend, and then another and another, and then more. She lost a friend or two, and that was hard for her. Life and Death, like Order and Chaos, were held in a balance and could not exist without one another.

Behind her, in a poetic sense, was this village and the Forest and the goodness she had been given the trust by people in need to help them. She had been given an honor to be included among a select group whose numbers saw losses, losses that still troubled Lyric as much as that of losing the Dama.

Lyric felt everything so deeply and personally. But she knew she couldn't stay. It wasn't her way, despite it being the way of her people. Lyric knew it shouldn't be the way of her people, but saying as much nearly got her killed. She was exiled, sent away... and now she was Banished.

That came with a purpose and a quest though. She would have to leave this place, and take steps, once again, into the unknown. But she would not be alone.

Lyric looked back to Cesare. "Did you really like it," she asked in a hopeful tone and wide eyes to match.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He laughs.

"Yes of course."

He shakes his head slowly, smile still on his face.

"I am mostly honest, perhaps too much sometimes. People often don't want to hear truth but I take as I find. If I don't like a song, likely I would tell you.. but that has yet to happen, so I don't truly know."

His eyes twinkle.

"But as long as you like it, that is what is most important, yes?"

Lyric

"I think so," she said. Odd enough that she would seem less than confident in her music when she had played many other things and sang many other songs already and commanded the attention of almost all who listened to her mesmerizing performances. Maybe because this song was something she had created?

"Music and song is different among my people. I have told you before that we are very isolated and seldom get visitors. That is no lie. It is very rare and often ends badly. If no one leaves to tell of us, then the secret remains. But... a few of us have travelled out to see this larger, wider, world. I never have before this journey, but I was always eager to hear of the things they saw and heard and learned."

Lyric started for the Miller's home as she continued.

"It was this curiosity that led me to speak of things that I shouldn't have... things that needed to be said, but couldn't, wouldn't be heard... Well, I suppose there were those who heard it and for that..."

She pasued as if reflecting on a painful experience.

"...I had to leave."

And then, just like that, her mood shifted again back to a more mercurial frame and she laughed as she leaned over to pluck a thin grass shoot stem with a brush tail of seeds at the end. It seemed so very late in the season, but weed grasses were ever so hardy. They endured in harsh and difficult places when only the will to survive remained as an ally.

She plucked it and held it before her as she turned in a circle while she walked.

"So here I am... far from home... Every day is another chance to experience things anew. I live in a world I always wanted to see with my own eyes. Yes, so here I am."

"Tell me a story Cesare... any story. Even a quick one, while we walk. I love stories and I want to hear every story there is... the old ones and the new ones..."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"You should be free to express an opinion wherever you are but especially amongst your own."

He cannot quite understand what made her leave her people. It sounds like she was different, didn't fit in, all the more reason to leave in his opinion but it didn't sound as if she had much choice.

"A story huh? Have you heard the one about the young girl and the Shark God?"

He grins.

Lyric

Lyric still had the grass spear in one hand as she looked from it to Cesare, and her eyes widened in proportion to her grin. She shook her head and the growing eagerness and child-like anticipation was obvious.

"No... But I want to hear it. Please?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Henrik and Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet?]

The Atteran’s hug had a nearly paralyzing effect on the young man. His response to her comment was a wide-eyed stare... and an excellent imitation of a fish, with his mouth opening and closing silently and rhythmically. It was only after she walked away that he blinked. It took a double handful of heartbeats before he could close his mouth, after which he blinked again.

He was supposed to hug a swordswoman if he came upon the redhead again?!? His mind rolled around this impossible idea much like his elder sister had rolled around a ball to amuse him when he was a very small child. Hug a woman who carried a sword?? He didn’t have a death wish! He was skeptical that invoking the Imperial Lady’s name would save him.

Fortunately, his feet kept him moving through all of this — away from the Merchant camp, up the path, and even starting up the stairs without assistance from his brain. Those same feet instinctively kept him from bumping into the tall Guardian of the Forest Folk watching over the market. In fact, they served him well all the way to the Mill level, where they failed him, and he nearly tripped over one of the lilil’uns.

“Oh, no! No, no! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it! Don’t hurt me! Oh, please, I’m so sorry.”

He blinked again when he felt a hand pressed against his chest. He blinked several times, quite rapidly, until he realized that he was looking at Keiko and not death.

“Henrik, Tomomi is fine. You, however, are not. Whatever are you doing climbing these stairs and not paying attention?”

He merely pointed behind him and imitated a fish again.

“Words, Henrik. Please.”

“Lady. Hug. Skewer.”

“Lady Bekkah hugged you? Well, you’re a lucky lad. She’s the essence of kindness, so I don’t understand the bit about skewering.”

“I’m to...” He paused to shudder and swallow hard. “...to pass the hug along...” He closed his eyes, and a sheen of sweat popped out on his forehead. His voice dropped to a whisper. “...to hug the woman who gave me the letters for the Lady. She called herself a Lady — Lady Daxia — but for all that, she is still a swordswoman, Keiko. I don’t want to die.”

Her laughter was something of a balm, and he dared to open his eyes.

“You’re a nice person, Keiko, but you shouldn’t laugh at someone who’s going to die before ever seeing home again.”

“You’re such a ninny, Henrik. If you’re so scared of Lady Bekkah’s sister — Lady Daxia is Lady Bekkah’s sister, you know — then contrive not to meet her again.” Keiko giggled. “But I have heard the Lady speak about her sister Daxia, and I would like to meet her. She sounds like... well, someone as fierce as Broke and as kind as Lady Bekkah herself!”

Henrik looked back over his shoulder at the Guardian on the steps. “Well, maybe?” He looked once again at Keiko — because it was rude to speak to someone and not look at them and, to be honest, she was pretty. “She was very polite... courtly, almost. But did you not hear the part about the sword? Perhaps I failed to mention the apprentice with a long spear. And a unicorn. A unicorn, Keiko!” He shook his head vigorously. “No. I couldn’t. Any one of them could send me dining and dancing with Krysta faster than I could tweak your nose.” He rubbed his elbow. “Which is something else I’d never do again,” he said with a smile.

Keiko patted his arm. “I didn’t even hurt you, silly! How was I to know pinching other people’s noses is a tradition in some families? I learned something new that day! And so did you!”

He laughed. “Yes, I learned it’s a bad idea to surprise Rhoni lasses.” He glanced up at the tower and sighed. “I need to get this latest delivery up to the tower. Thomas is lying in wait for me, I’m sure. Do you have my orders to return to Talantal? He says that every time, so it’s likely that he’ll repeat himself again today. I understand that he’s anxious to go home, but how am I to know what papers I have for him? Even if I were untrustworthy enough to inspect the packages entrusted to my safekeeping, I can’t read any of it!”

She smiled and shrugged. “It’s his ritual, I suppose. And perhaps someday soon he will be recalled to Grand Talantal. There really isn’t enough to keep him busy here. I think that’s why he’s so grumpy most of the time. He’s bored.”

“I hadn’t thought of it that way. Lord Tray has been making some changes. Not too many,” he hastened to add, “but rumors around the Castle say that Lord Marcus is more... um... annoyed by his Lady Wife than his brother. Although rumors being what they are, someone as lowly as I am will never know the truth. The Khorall pretends not to notice any of it. I’ll bet he notices everything, though.”

“No doubt he does. I’ve had very little experience with Noble folks, but my elders say the Khoralls all have sharp eyes even when they pretend to ignore things. The Allaine have the sharpest eyes of all.” She tapped her chin with a finger. “I met Lord Dominic when he was last visiting here...”

“You did?! Oh, did you think he was charming? I’ve never actually met him, but the common folk do love him well! Especially the women.” He harrumphed in a good-natured way. “Keiko of the Rhoni, you have had more adventures since I was here last month! I thought being a messenger for the Noble Family Korie would be exciting... would you adopt me instead?”

Keiko laughed again. “I will not! Yes, Lord Dominic is charming but I didn’t swoon over him. And it seems to me that meeting a famous swordswoman and being hugged by the kindest Lady of Attera in all the lands should be adventure enough for anyone.”

“Famous?”

She nodded. “Even I have heard a story or two about the battle outside Bordertown this Midwinter past.”

His eye grew wide. “That was HER?” His voice squeaked up an entire octave.

“Yes, I believe so.”

“But... she... I mean... she’s...”

“Just a girl?” Keiko interjected, lips pursed.

“No, no,” he hastened to say, shaking his head. “She’s too nice, she’s so young! The swordswoman who fought the One Who Shall Not Be Named must be even more fearsome than the all the Guardians! She must be as strong and powerful as all of the Knights in Talantal!”

Keiko snickered. “I am more than a little tempted to join you on your walk back to Grand Talantal and help you find this swordswoman. I am more intrigued by every new rumor and story I hear about her.”

He blinked again and stared at her. Today was the day for surprises... too many of them if he was going to be honest with himself.

“I thought you liked it here. You’d leave? With me?”

“As you have so keenly noted, I am Rhoni. Traveling, wandering, walking the World is what we do. I do like it here, though. But I have made new friends and at least one of them...” She looks over at Tomomi and smiles. “...has as much enthusiasm to travel and see the World as I do.”

She looked past him, down the long set of steps, to the market area.

“Oh, dear. You should get going, Henrik. Our Lady Bekkah is escorting the Marrennen — charming him expertly, I don’t doubt — and is headed this way.”

Lyric and Cesare weren’t far behind them. And Henrik was already moving.

“Those Merchant Priests ask more questions that the Eyes! I’ll talk to you later, Keiko!”

The Rhoni watched him for a few heartbeats, smiling to herself before poking her head back into the Millers’ home.

“Dommi, you might want to make yourself scarce. There’s a fancy Marrennen heading this way.”

To spare Missus Miller the hubbub she knew the senior Marrennens could stir up, she started down the stairs. Pausing on the second one, she looked back at Tomomi with a cheerful smile.

“You’re welcome to join me if you like. But if you feel it might be overwhelming, you could watch from the window in my room.” Keiko chuckled. “Knowing you’re watching is almost the same as having you with me. There are fewer hugs, of course. But my heart knows.”

Being accustomed to the stairs of the Waverider’s Watch miniature mountain, she skipped down to meet Lady Bekkah and her guest.

“Good afternoon to you, Lady Bekkah... m’Lord Marrennen. Are you headed for the Tower? Perhaps a short pause to enjoy the few of the farms would be wise. There are messages from Talantal today, and it would be ungracious of me to allow you to be subjected to Thomas if the delivery turns him grumpy, as is usually the case.”

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods.

"In a village by the sea, a young girl Dydd had gone to fetch water. Her parents ran the local inn and she helped where she could."

"But she did not return."

"People began to search for her. Her father Rory and a young man who worked for him found tracks leading away from the well and down towards the cliff edge. And that was of great concern. Had she fallen?"

"But in following the tracks they found a narrow path that lead down the cliff and ended up in a door. A door that would be covered with the tide much of the time, hence the father had not known it was there."

"And then three other friends arrived, two females and a male Jvillian, who had also been searching for the young girl. Opening the door, they found tunnels, partially flooded, the depth uncertain, all in darkness. Moving forward together, they felt their way forward, edging their way along one tunnel, then another. Suddenly there was noise ahead, movement in the water.. and they were attacked by a shark. Working together, they fought it off.. but there was another.. and another."

"It seemed that the odds were stacked against them but the thought of the little girl somewhere ahead in the darkness drove them forward. They fought every inch, took damage but also took strength from each other and kept moving forward."

"Eventually they reached a lit area, a shrine to the Shark God whose minions they had been fighting.. and there were several more of them! But the little girl was also there.. and alive! Now they had hope to lend them courage. Quickly, before they were seen, a plan was hatched and the group moved forward to do battle."

"These creatures were ferocious but the group were desperate to save the little girl as they had realised she was to be sacrificed to the Shark God. A desperate fight took place, each of the group trying everything they had, using all their skills, all their wits, all their belief in each other.. ignoring the injuries they were taking.. saving the little girl more important than any of them. And eventually, hurt but victorious, they vanquished the sharks and took the little girl home, safe and sound."

He grins but there is a shadow in his eyes.

"I like happy endings."

Lyric, a little bit confused

She continued walking alongside her Rhoni companion as he told his story. He was not without talent in this regard and that made her happy to think that he might be able to help her learn many stories. His Sauntering Song was quite fun as well. Keiko also had a spontaneity that was admirable. The Rhoni were surely a whimsical people, of this Lyric had little doubt even if she had little more than her own observations to make this judgment.

She watched him intently, only glancing occasionally to the path she walked so she didn't trip. His delivery was sharp and quick and the pace kept the tale progressing. It had all the makings of a parable...

...except...

Well... there didn't seem to be a parable layered within the story to reveal a deeper meaning and a lesson. It caused her to knit her brow as she considered the words and what she might have missed. She tried to figure out the Shark God character and the inferred meaning of such a being but she struggled there as well. What of the girl? Through to the end, she seemed to be no more consequential to the story than just an ingenue... an innocent serving as the focus of the Quest... and that meant that this tale fell squarely on the actions of those who set out to rescue her. Again, no inferred meaning, no subtext, no lesson... neither moral or virtue. She cocked her head as she thought this through. She had even let the spear of grass hang limply at her side as she walked several more steps.

"Yes, it does have a happy ending."

This was not an original creation of Cesare's and as such, she could not seek the purpose of the tale from him, nor hold him accountable for the expectations she had in this particular craft.

But she also hoped he wouldn't read too much into her obvious expression of confusion and puzzlement while she walked beside him.

Perhaps, the layer came from understanding the nature of the protagonist and his companions who set out to rescue the girl. But Lyric lacked context and she feared that betraying that would reveal her own weaknesses and expose herself as a Minstrel fraud.

This journey had many confusing moments when people spoke of things she knew nothing about, or used words she didn't understand. Always the quick with and agile of mind, Lyric faked her way as best she could so far. But this seemed important. Cesare had shared a story and she felt she needed to trust him a little in order to affirm his efforts at telling an otherwise fine tale.

If she asked the one question that troubled her, the one question that she could not resolve, then maybe the revealed nature of the protagonist would resolve the whole story in a greater depth.

But... What if asking the question she made herself the protagonist of a tale he might feel the need to unravel? She had already told him, told them all, that it would not be a good idea to seek out her people, her village. They kept themselves hidden and were fierce defenders of that privacy.

Oh, this greater, wider world was so confusing... and so potentially dangerous. Trust it had to be. Trust a friend... Not a concept she knew very much about, either one... Trust or friend. But she needed to learn and hope.

"What is, or who is a... Jerverillons," she asked whilst mangling that very last word.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"A Jvillian is a skilled fighter who hires himself out on contract, either individually or as part of a larger group of the same."

He pauses, sensing that she has some difficulties in hearing the story, as he had done in telling it. It brought back many memories and reminds him of what.. and who he is missing.

"And in the case of this story, the Jvillian was Mikal, one of the friends I arrived with. The two females were Kadri and Bekkah."

Lyric

The Minstrel stopped walking and looked directly at Cesare until he also stopped and turned back to her. Lyric's mouth hung open and her eyes were wide. She thought through the story again. In truth, it didn't actually matter what Jerverillon, or whatever, actually was. This was a recollection story. A recounting of true events, immortalized in a bardic fashion. She should have seen this. It was masterful from that perspective in that it allowed audience, herself, to accept the protagonist characters as anyone they themselves might recognize. But, that it had true and personal meaning for Cesare, and given the events that have transpired the tale becomes an homage. That understanding revealed to Lyric the underlying subtext.

Lyric smiled and nodded and clapped. "I understand now. it is so very good. You honor your friends, but make it a story that is accessible to a wider audience."

Accepting her weakness, she felt a little sheepish before her story-teller friend. "I am sorry that I could not grasp this better. There is so much I don't understand. Forgive me... Your story is truly inspired, and offers great honor to friend now and friends past."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Dirkwood Forest
Waverider’s Watch
Marketday, the Ninth Day of Yrick

Bekkah, Lyric, Cesare, Keiko … Tomomi, Henrik, Dominic and Miss Emerald

“Yoiks!”

Dominic’s eyes went wide as he looked down next to him, blinking as he shared a look both conspiratorial and panicked with his Mouse.

“That’s the problem with here! Not enough corridors. We need more corridors or maybe one that’s just a big circle that we can tell folks, oh, that Korie lad, follow me, he’s just down this corridor, it won’t be a heartbeat …”

His words invoked an image of a small Mouse in a chaste cloak leading some poor noble or high caste person on a very long tour of Talantal Keep. Scrabbling to his feet he looked first at Missus Miller and her husband.

“Danks …”

And then he looked at Keiko.

“Even more danks …”

Then it was his turn to escape, and since down the path was definitely out he turned and trotted after Henrik. Miss Emerald, whose expression had finally softened, perhaps because she knew what was coming and smiled, followed him.

“Morning! Or afternoon! Are you going up to the tower? That’s pretty grand, isn’t it? I bet you have all sorts of important tasks up there!

“Me? Oh no, I’ve not been to the Tower.”

Dominic, of course, wasn’t lying. He had just neglected to include the word ‘today’. He continued on his friendly prattle.

“You’ve been here before, right? But have you ever been all the way out to the very edge of this rock? No? cor! The view of the village is the absolute best and there’s this breeze that comes off the fields that hints of dandelions and wildflowers. It’s different every time you visit and it’s always nice.

“Come … come. Whatever business you have in the Tower can wait; what is life if you can’t take time to sample what is beautiful, ja? The tower will be there forever. What makes the trip from Talantal to here wonderful, that, that is gone in an instance.

Playfully, the mischievous rapscallion tugged upon Henrik’s sleeve, guiding him towards the rock’s northern most outcroppings and away from the Tower. It was always hard to deny a Dominic when he was taking up his friendly traveler role. The courier was only able to get a few words in edgewise.

“Do. Do. Do. Do I know you?”

Dominic just smiled as his companion Mouse face palmed.

“Nin, nin, nin - I’m just this guy from a small village, a village so small …

The young lordling knew it was for the best. That if someone was to darken Thomas’ day, it was far better if it was an overly inquisitive Merchant Prince than the two of them. For Keiko, however, what was most apparent was the twitching of Tomomi's whiskers when the Rhoni mentioned the potential arrival of the leader of the Merchants. Her forever friend nodded and suddenly hugged Keiko tight, whispering as she did.

“He scares Mice. He says he’s our friend. But he’s not. Lady says never ever, ever say anything to him that you don’t want told to someone else.

“Lady says two types of trade. Most folks trade for each other. Merchant Princes. Trades for themselves only.”

Tomomi didn’t step back before she took Keiko’s advice and jumped to the dormer window seat, to just peek out and watch over her companion. But that was a good thing. It was like the hug never ended.

Which left, of course, the introduction to the Marrennen. She had seen him before of course, and what Tomomi had intimidated felt true – she had never seen him come from his camp until the second Market, though anytime a large crate – probably containing bars of acquired Darksteel - was sold by the Forest Folk it went directly across the bridge to his wagon. He did seem a bit surprised when Keiko skipped down to meet him, knowing her shopping habits in return.

“Oh, Miss Rhoni-lass, and a fair day to you. I wasn’t bound for the Tower quite yet, in fact I was following the good Lady’s lead. While one might hope that those in the Tower knew what was happening within their village, at the least Master Thomas’ view is always looking to the southeast!”

Looking between the two women, the Merchant rubbed his chin.

“The Brave and Fearless kind one here …”

He nodded to Bekkah.

“… was to escort me to greet those who accompanied her upon her Strange and Mysterious Adventure in the Forest Most Dark. She spoke of Immortal Princes and the Eastern Curse that came from such a gift. Does this mean that you were one of her Companions?

“If so I would love to hear your Tale, for it is one that would race up and down the Highland Path faster than a wildfire – especially if it means that the Dirkwood Forest can be successfully explored and its riches made available to us.”

For some reason his use of the word ‘us’ did not sound very inclusive.

Cesare’s recollection story held Lyric’s attention during the exchanges upon the big stone outcropping. They two continued upon their path; though all it took was a glance upwards to see Keiko and Bekkah speak with the Merchant Prince or Dominic leading the courier to a comfortable overlook. Keiko and Bekkah could be easily joined because they were, indeed, along the path that would take them to Missus Miller – though it seems the serving of a midday meal might now have been missed.

There was one thing missing from Cesare’s story.

Recollection songs were always quite popular in taverns and around campfires; they let one live vicariously through the adventures of others.

But often they never spoke to the why and wherefores, as if they paled beneath the dering-do.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 19/11/17 21:46 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He smiles.

"That you enjoyed the tale is enough.. and yes it was told to honour my friends."

He deliberately missed out some details - where it took place as he does not want to create bad feeling towards those that live there, especially those responsible. And of course that he was there too. He hadn't lied. His description was of a man who worked for Rory, which he had been doing. His involvement was unnecessary.

"So shall we join Bekkah and Keiko?"

He points ahead with a smile.

Lyric

The Minstrel nodded in acceptance. It was time to regroup and figure out what happens next.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet?]

“You may call me Keiko, m’Lord,” she said with a curtsey. “It may be an all too common name among the Rhoni, second only to Yuri perhaps, but it is my name, and it’s fortunate that I like it, nin? Names can be like stories, don’t you think, sir? Having a good story is a comfort.”

Knowing merchants’ general disdain for the Caravans and the Rhoni, it wasn’t likely the Marrennen could gainsay her name’s popularity. Yuri most assuredly was the most popular Rhoni name — the fact that the Lady Bekkah’s mother bore the name pointed not only to frequent visits to Dawnview Vale by Rhoni through the Ages but that it was a name that persisted in popularity. However, the second most popular name was always in flux between a collection of a half dozen names. Keiko was one of those names. Usually.

“Ah, the adventure.” She sighed as she smiled. “I did not see the Immortal Prince whose offer of matrimony she so bravely denied. So if you mean companion in the sense that I stood by her side, no, good sir, I certainly was not! Oh, by seas and stars, I would have likely fallen faint at the sight of such a man. Should a man, no matter how elevated in his station, attain Immortality? Perhaps in the First Age when King Yrick built his Bright Empire that was appropriate. But now? Oh, that is a truly frightening thing, my lord! But Lady Bekkah is as brave as she is kind.”

Keiko paused, tilting her head to the side.

“I have some training in the Lore of my people, who collect — much as you do — stories from everywhere. There are so many tales of the Forest, m’Lord! Who can say what might be true and what might be considered just fanciful poems? Take as an example that bard from Trundle who has sent spinning around the Tarn a fanciful tale about Dall Gwynn. Oh, it is quite rightly a fancy tune! Charming and easily caught in one’s memory, nin? But as to the truth of it?” She smiled brightly. “It does seem a bit silly, and I certainly mean no disrespect to its author for the most popular tunes are often the ones that are most fun, ja? That it sends the fourth and fifth sons of poor farmers off adventuring to find the magical land could be seen as both a blessing and a bane, don’t you think, m’Lord?

“But an Eastern curse upon the Forest? As I have learned the Lore, reverent sir, it could just as surely be a Coven curse or a more dreadful Sorcerer’s curse. I have heard all such stories, m’lord. Why, I might venture to guess that all could be true in some measure!

“As for my small part of the tale...” She waved a dismissive hand in the general direction of the bridge. “...it is hardly worth mentioning to your august self, m’lord. I was inside the strange keep with three companions.” Keiko looked all around — up the stairs toward the tower, down the stairs toward the farms, across the market field and even toward the bridge itself — a puzzled look on her face. “They all seem to have found elsewhere to be. But our part was so small. Just rescuing a poor lost soul, one of the Forest’s Children. Oh, such a poor, frightened child!

“I did see a Priest of Hastur, though! I recognized the robes, m’lord and thought that I should have been more impressed by the man. Alas, his finery was less fine that your own — and I’m sorry for the heresy, Lady Bekkah, but Lord Marrennen did ask — and he was... well, old. Not old like a grandparent, if that makes sense, good sir.” Here, her voice fell to a whisper. “Old like skin stretched unnaturally over bones like there was a sickness about him. He moved with appropriate vigor and had no stench of death about him as his passed my hiding place, and there was not one thing to say that there was a curse upon him and yet I did feel a shiver of dread when he passed by.”

Keiko shook her head and took a deep breath. “No one wishes to be in the sight of a Priest of Hastur, even in the best of circumstances. I think this is something we can all agree is true, although a brave Healer such as Lady Bekkah would not have the fear others would.”

She paused and looked thoughtfully at the merchant. “And as one who is always striving to be a good and thoughtful person, I would assuredly recommend against wandering too close to the Forest. Its nature does not seem to have changed, m’Lord, for it is still cursed. Perhaps there is now a small piece of it that has been rendered less dangerous, but it is still surrounded by all the fullhand upon fullhand upon fullhand of ravenous trees. It is a well-known story that the youngest Korie Lord once ventured near the Forest and was nearly eaten by a tree.”

The fact that Dommi probably started that tale wandering across the whole of the Heartwood didn’t detract from the fact that the story was, indeed, well-known.

“But the riches of the Forest, my Lord Marrennen?” The young Rhoni smiled sadly. “The greatest riches are the Forest’s Children, whom the gods now see as true persons. A mere lass such as myself would not know of their affliction, but Lady Bekkah did. And surely you must have seen it, too, my Lord, being a faithful Priest of Lord Marrennen. Oh, yes, you might call me a silly romantic, and I won’t be the least bit offended by it. But the riches of the Forest lie in the friendships with the Forest’s Children.”

She nodded solemnly, then her eyes lit up with happiness as she spied her friends’ approach.

“Oh, Lord Marrennen, if you wish a tale of true valor and derring-do, speak to our companion Cesare here, who worked so cleverly to prevent the foul dwarves from harming more of the Forest’s Children. Why, he even made a little work song that is so delightful that the Forest’s Children were still singing and humming it when we ventured back to this fair village.”

She gestured toward Cesare and Lyric, who were a mere step now below Lady Bekkah.

Keiko had said little to the Marrennen that was not commonly known, and the things that might be considered new either warnings or of little consequence. The description of the Hastur priest was a small piece of information he might like — it was colorful enough to weave into a Warning Story, yet not particularly significant in the greater scope of the adventure. She had no interest in discussing the mines or Dragons or their missing compatriots; therefore, she made no mention of them. She still wanted to fetch a meat pie for Broke and another for Hinata, but until she was dismissed by the Imperial Lady and high-ranking Marrennen, she would remain here.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Wren
Wren
Pennsylvania
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,470
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy