Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Barry Mulvihill, Xiang Chin), 9 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pietro

"I will take the right quadrant," he said and then looked to the lady of Attera to gauge her response.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko]

She watched the Cat and listened to his words. And she smiled.

“You make a good case, Hinata. But let me ask you this: Do you know anything about the natural cats of the Tarn and the Black Mountains? There are small ones — bouncers and shadowcats— that have coloring closer to yours although certainly not as elegant or refined. There are the slinks...” At this, she shuddered. “If they didn’t fall out of trees on people they might be pleasant enough. Or not.

“These are the natural cats that would eat natural mice. They are the right size, they are proportional to one another for the cycle of life and death, for hunter and prey to exist and be hunter and prey.

“But then there are the softpads. They are bigger. They prey on horses and harts... and sometimes humans, though that is rare.

“Perhaps Mice are not your natural prey. Who is to say but you? It is a truth that being angry with a Mouse is an impossible task! Perhaps — now that you are free — you might find other food to your liking.” Keiko paused and glanced toward the cooking area. “You might wish to refrain from accepting mushrooms from The Lockpick, however. She is, ah, mischievous. But because she is a Mouse, it is difficult to be angry, even with her mischief.”

Watching the Mice gather ever closer to the Cat, she nodded to them and addressed Hinata once more.

“They know what your second name means without knowing. Anzen-sei... it means safety. That is what they see, that is what they know.” She shrugged. “A warrior can be both fierce and kind, yes? Lyric is such a warrior. Lady Bekkah has said her sister is such a warrior.”

Then she grinned at his inspection and use of the ribbons.

“Yes. A good start, indeed.”

While waiting for Tomomi to return, Keiko watched Hinata and the Mice; she glanced out the window at all the others still outside.

When The Lockpick arrived, the Rhoni watched the interaction between the Mouse and her unseen Deity and tried not to smile, for the follower of the Lady Vixen tried to give the impression that she was A Very Serious Mouse.

But then she blinked and stared.

So many questions!

After a couple of breaths, however, Keiko said mildly and perhaps with some small amount of confusion, “Is there something wrong with admitting that you follow the Lady Arilys in your own home, Mistress Mouse? I ask in earnestness, I truly do. I do not know the customs of following a Deity, for I follow none. The Young Master admonished me not to use his title. Of course, he also suggested that I not speak one of the languages I’ve spoken since a young child, so I do have some cause for confusion,” she mused. “Perhaps he meant that not everyone understands that the Rhoni often speak more than one language? I only learned to speak Eastern because our Caravan traveled to Kh’Lhy’Ra each year.” She seemed to address the question and comment more to herself than anyone in the room. Then she shrugged philosophically. “I suppose I shall ask him later.”

“But...” Keiko looked worried. “I have never heard of a Deity disavowing one of their followers despite knowing the Lore that tells such a thing is possible. This had actually happened?”

She shook her head and gave The Lockpick a crooked smile. “Dommi is safe. Emmi would not allow him to come to real harm. He’s just very wet. And he stopped that dreadful caterwauling, too!”

Emmi, then, would be the one to ask about Dama Kadri, she thought. After she dries off, of course.

“A last question before you return to your gathering and study of mushrooms — and I hope you take no offense in my curiosity. Tomomi reminded me that your name, like Emmi’s former name, is also a title. Would it be impolite of me to say your name as Lockpick when speaking to you? I shall remember — quite likely with help from Tomomi — to use your proper title if that is your wish when speaking of you.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Lyric a weary Minstrel

It was time time cast off the mantle of warrior and strategist... and even leader. It was time to rest, and maybe there would be the chance to become just the Minstrel again. Probably not. Sometimes you can retrace your steps, but you can only go someplace once. It is a different place after your passing.

Enough metaphors.

She tugged at the hood and walked along.

"Someplace quiet and private If you would be so kind One-Fang. When I have rested enough, I will be able to return for news on Kadri... and to present myself before the Lady, and any other leaders of Home who wish to speak to me. And the Pack as well. I have questions but they will wait."

Another few steps.

"Maybe no one will want to speak with me..."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Then I will take the left.. if we are all agreed."

He looks at Bekkah to see if she is happy with the arrangements. But he is eager to get going, to do something, to avoid this sinking feeling deep down.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Dirkwood Forest
Home
Attaday, the Eighth Day of Yrick

Bekkah, Pietro, Lyric, Cesare, Keiko … and Most Everyone Else …

Lyric and One Fang

The black wuff looked down at Lyric, his dark eyes taking her measure.

“Trust me.”

They were two simple words spoken, as he led her into Home. From the piers, still wrapped in his far too large cloak, he took her up the stairs, past many landings and nooks. As they climbed higher it became warmer and of all things, softer. No stone, just wood and cloth and leather, nothing designed just to do a job in the best way possible but the chaotic concatenation of spaces that had grown because they were just needed or just because someone thought a window seat here would just be nice.

It was the opposite of the Keep – which was a vast machine to plunder dragon’s blood – and it was vastly different from the great halls of her small village where rooms were laid out according to arcane formalities and barely remembered traditions.

One Fang stopped, not at some private nook, but in the commons itself. A commons that was slowly starting to bustle, with the work of those who had remained was making sure that those who had been rescued were welcomed and those who had done the rescuing would find blankets and hot soup and warm bread to reward and restore.

There, with strong hands on a weary Minstrel's shoulders, One Fang directed her to the heart, the big stone fireplace, and set her down right next to it, so one shoulder could rest against its warmth.

“Sit.”

He sat down next to Lyric, his large frame providing shelter. Maybe it was because he was a wuff, a member of a Pack and completely unable to comprehend a need to be alone. On the other hand maybe, just maybe, he had a point. Here she was sheltered, protected from the bustle of others.

But not alone. She was still a part of everything, of everybody. With One Fang at her side she would not be disturbed but neither had he let her separate herself from everyone else. This was something not considered a value in her small home village.

As for her last words, he met her gaze.

“Humility is a virtue.

“But do not insult yourself.”

The Searchers

Sinking feelings were impossible to vanquish. They grew with each moment, with each heartbeat. Pietro and Cesare chose their sections of the swamp to search and though the morning grayness vanished with each step there was no sign of the missing Amber Noble.

The area of their search was necessarily limited. They could not leave the swamp, indeed they could not get close to the Forest’s edge without creating a disturbance. The tree branches would swing in their direction, vines with long and sharp thorns would slip into the water to snake towards them. Then there was the unseen noise of hunting creatures just beyond the brush line. As if something very hungry and fierce was just waiting for them to take a wrong step.

Bekkah’s question had been answered by Lyric and One Fang. Kadri had last been seen when the Weasels attacked the rescuer’s rear guard. One Fang’s temperament considering the matter was equally disturbing; something had gone wrong, very wrong, to have had a Weasel come at him, unexpected, from behind.

If Kadri was still in the Keep when it was broken and flooded, there was a very egalitarian answer to their question. Anyone caught inside would have had a slim chance of survival.

If Kadri had escaped and then found herself in the Forest, that slim chance very quickly became none.

In the swamp they only found one Noble. There was a splash and once the source of the noise was found it was a curious sight. There were three in an ungainly and wet collection. A mouse was wrapped in a black cloak, held and protected. The black cloak was Dominic’s and the Mouse was Emmi. He in turn was wrapped beneath the shelter of a worn travel cloak.

Broke’s.

Neither of the three looked happy. If they had been drinking, the reason was certainly something other than relaxation or a release after a too hard of a day. If approached they would have been met by the Pack Leader’s low growling. She didn’t need to speak to make the meaning clear.

Stay away.

That left only Home to be searched, on the off chance, like Dominic, Broke and Emmi , their missing companion had somehow gotten there first.

Up the stairs and through the tangle of hallways, when Pietro, Bekkah and Cesare finally returned to the commons hall they were sure the missing princess was not t Home or in the Swamp.

The chances that Kadri was walking in the wake of Tawny and Grey were slowly becoming a certainty.

Rhoni, Mouse and Cat

The big feline, who stood with crossed arms, looked down on the smaller Rhoni and the even much smaller Mouse.

“Heard rumor. Burned fish. Taste better. How can be true? World truly crazy.”

As Keiko continued, Hinata Cat’s ears went from up to flat to up to flat again. Whiskers twitched as he slowly considered the circle of Mice behind him.

“I am Cat. Hear me growl. Walk alone. Protect no one.”

His taloned fingers drummed upon his arm, as he looked back at the Mice, who were now cowering just a little bit for his words were so fierce.

“Make deal. Burnt Fish. If good. Well. My benefit Fishbringers keep bringing fish.”

Tomomi had to put a small hand over her mouth to stop from giggling. Rising to tiptoes she again whispered in her Forever Friend’s ears.

“He is awful at being fierce. Must take to Market!”

Hinata Cat Anzen-sei was indeed a mercenary cat. As all the cat-following Mice suddenly vanished – probably to find the most tempting of Home’s meals – that was when one Very Serious Mouse appeared.

The Lockpick reached into her cloak, took out a strange polka-dotted mushroom and started to nibble.

“She says She is more important than Mushrooms!”

It was definitely a very serious grumble, a potentially paradigm changing one.

“Only makes sense. First, folks are more afraid of sneaky than of mushrooms. Second, very hard to be sneaky when people point at you and go ‘hey look, its sneaky!’. Fourth, if you hang around with sneaky folks think you are sneaky and then they don’t like you either.”

The Lockpick paused.

“Did I forget something?”

She reached into her cloak and pulled out a harmless looking brown and white striped mushroom.

“Third, want a mushroom?”

As for the next question, the odd Mouse reached up and rubbed the back of her head.

“I suspect falling out of favor with one’s Ladyship is a lot more dangerous than getting swatted on the back of one’s head.”

And the last, that brought a dark smile to the Mouse’s features.

“Aye, once they found out I could solve puzzles and find my way into difficult places I was called lockpick. I was the one who got the Pack out. Wrath. He was named by the Old Masters. Broke named herself. And me? I thought about names.

“I am not a lockpick.

“I am The Lockpick.

“I made the name mine.”

As for her final conclusion, the Rhoni knew she was correct. If someone lived or someone died, who would know better than one of Krysta’s priestesses? And once she dried out, where would she go? Where would Dominic, Emmi and Broke show up next? That was an easy conclusion too. Emmi would follow Dominic and Dominic would keep Broke company and Broke would return to the Pack.

Eventually all paths lead back to the commons hall.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 20/08/17 15:07 UTC.
Pietro

The squire had not known the noblewoman of Amber very long or very well, but that did not mean he had wished ill to become of her. She was an unusual woman, but a fierce warrior and the wife of an even more unusual nobleman.

"Neither hide nor hair of Dama Kadri could I find, Cesare," he said in dolorous tone of voice when he returned to the commons hall.

"Did you see Dominic and Emerald and Broke? I wanted to ask them if they had seen or heard anything of his wife, but Broke very obviously warned me away from their presence."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko]

“Cooked fish is quite good, yes. And...” She paused and then shrugged. “Yes. Perhaps the world truly is crazy. It’s the one we have, though. Why not enjoy it?”

Keiko giggled along with Tomomi. “He would excel at bargaining in the Market! But he’s very tall and might alarm the human folks.”

To The Lockpick, she nodded. “Well, yes. I can see that this is all very reasonable. It seems like being a follower of a Deity is quite complicated. But no thank you, I’ll pass on the mushroom for now. It’s not only because I’ve yet to gauge the manner of your mischief, Mistress The Lockpick, but because...” The Rhoni sighed. “My stomach is a bit unsettled from all the terrible things I witnessed.”

She watched with concern as Lyric was led to the hearth by One Fang. They both looked so heart-sick. It was understandable, of course. One Fang lost two Pack mates. She could not imagine that kind of hurt, except to wonder how she would feel if her own siblings were to be killed. And Lyric...

The Minstrel had seemed every bit as reluctant as Keiko herself was to take up arms and fight. Lyric did what Keiko could not. It didn’t matter that Keiko had done things that perhaps Lyric could not have done. It was the doing of a thing that one did not want to do that Keiko understood all too well. Some Fates are thrust upon a person, and it didn’t matter if that person wanted to take that path or was even prepared for it.

She was pondering the warp and weft of living in this world when she heard the Squire speaking to the other Rhoni.

Glancing at One Fang and Lyric once last time, Keiko looked over at the Squire.

“She lost two of her own. She mourns in her way. The Young Master mourns with her. Leave them all be.”

She said the words kindly, for she felt their loss, too. Not anywhere near as profoundly as the Pack did, of course not. She had barely begun to know Tawny and Grey.

“Dama Kadri had been disavowed by her Deity. When Emmi is able to answer the question, we might verify that the Dama is sleeping now with Krysta.”

Glancing between the Squire and the Lost Rhoni, hugging her forever friend, she added, “Celebrate her life. Be sad, mourn in your own way. But death is always a part of life, and life is what should be celebrated.”

Keiko fixed her violet eyes on Cesare and seemed less somber although she didn’t actually smile. “There. You see? A reminder or a lesson about who you are. Here and Now are where you live.” And then she did smile — a small one, a sad one. “Choose your waves, Waverider. They will carry you forward.”

Lyric, hiding in plain sight

Being alone is what she knew so very well. It was a thing she understood. In its own way it was a thing of comfort to her. To be alone had it's own sense of safety.

Trust? That was hard for her. Her entire life had been spent in a web of oaths and promises and foreswearings. But never Trust. It was not the way of the people of her village.

But she had always been different though. So much so, it nearly cost Lyric her life. Within a few heartbeats for sure. But, Different was good. It had to be. She wanted more from life. She wanted to see the world. She wanted to experience things once only imagined before.

It had been harrowing days from the proclamation of her punishment. Stripped of her title, broken from her Clan and all her Oaths, she was exiled from her home and hunted like prey, driven to the the place where she had to make her final stand. She could no longer run, too weak, and her injuries too great.

A break in her Fate, and her death was forestalled. And so, she was exiled instead. Sent away, never to return. She became Banished.

Why dwell on such memories and thoughts? They were painful to bear the first time, let alone relive them while she settled into a rest and considered One Fang's promise that she could trust him.

"The Pack lost two," she began in a quiet, slow whisper. "And I fear that Dama Kadri is not returning to Home." Lyric was hidden deep withing the folds and recesses of the heavy travel cloak. "If you think my words were an insult to myself or an expression of my humility, then I have misspoken my friend."

She lowered her head, chin to chest, closed her eyes. Of course, no one would see this.

"I can't help but carry the burden for these losses upon my heart and soul. My plan failed them, all three, I think. Maybe not, and you would argue otherwise I am sure. But it is still how I feel and it hurts to feel this way. I do not understand this feeling, this grief."

Her words became slower and softer.

"My words might be better understood in this way... Maybe no one will speak with me, because I am not good company and I have nothing but sadness in my heart, and I am without light. I worry I will lose my way... and I will lose myself... lose who I am. I did the best I could and it wasn't enough. I must rest and then I must find meaning and reason to balance this sadness. I need to find joy again."

There were no more words to be spoken and she was silent and still.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko]

The common room was not small, but neither was it large. And the hearth was not so far from the window seat that Lyric’s soft words could not be heard.

Keiko bit her lip. Comforting words for a Rhoni were one thing; even if he was Lost, he was still Rhoni. But Lyric was not. Still, there was an old song her Grandmother and Mother sang to her — perhaps it was a lullaby, perhaps it was something the Ancestors meant for all Rhoni to remember.

“Lyric...” The young woman’s voice was choked with emotion. “I will help light your way. You are my friend. You are sad because you need to be sad in the Now. You did your best, and that is all anyone could have asked of you. No one can do more than they can do.”

She glanced around at all the folk in the common room and nodded to herself. This was right.

“This is Home, Lyric, and you are here. Your friends are here, too, and want to help. Be how you need to be. Grief and sorrow are hard to bear, especially alone. But you are not alone. None of us are alone.”

Keiko looked at One Fang, an attempt at a smile the only way she had at the moment to thank him for lending Lyric some small amount of strength.

Pietro

"Did I not say that Broke warned me away and I in turn left them to their devices?"

Pietro glanced at Cesare and shook his head, then turned back to Keiko. Apparently he did not appreciate being told to do what he'd already done on his own recognizance.

"I grieve in concert with anyone who has lost a loved one."

Lyric, a space between those moments called Here and Now

It would be unclear to any observers if she heard the words of comfort and encouragement from Keiko because she did not reply nor even stir from the curled up huddle, hidden in the cloak, upon the fireplace hearth.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He looks at Keiko and nods.

"I always have. And this last big one is spent. I will be looking for another but that time is not here yet. Kadri will live on in memory and in the teachings she gave me. She taught me to ride and to care for a horse.. and I will look after Lisica in her memory."

He looks around all of those gathered.

"I will go and get some rest. Find me if there is any news."

He turns to head out and find a spot where he might rest. It had been a long day and a long night.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko]

She had not expected a response from either Lyric or Cesare — their heartache was evident in the way they held themselves. She watched Cesare leave the common room, asking the Ancestors to grant him peace while he rested.

Keiko worried about her friend but needed to trust that Lyric knew best at this moment how to begin healing her heart. What modest balm she had to share had been shared.

As the first Mouse reappeared with some cooked fish for Hinata, she smiled crookedly. Zigzag Hem tried her best, though the fish didn’t look completely cooked and its bizarre legs were still attached. The walking fish were fairly tasty if one could get past the issue of clubbing them to death and the fact that they had the strange little legs. Keiko whispered to Tomomi before getting up and going to the cooking area. There, she gathered a plateful of vegetables and fruits that were especially good with the fish.

Returning to the common room, she had to consciously ignore the presence of the squire. She hadn’t expected a response from him either, primarily because he and Dama Kadri had so pointedly ignored her the entire time at Home, but also because there was no real need to say anything when one offered a gift of kindness. To have such a gift rebuffed...

She shook her head as she set the plate on the low table near Hinata.

“While fish is often quite good all on its own, many folks like to add the flavors and nutrients from vegetables and fruits to their meals. These are an excellent complement to that type of fish.” She grinned at the fierce sunshine-loving mercenary Cat. “I doubt you had the opportunity to sample fare such as this before, and I encourage you to try them! Perhaps you will not like everything. That’s okay. There are many enjoyable new things for you to learn now that you are free and discovering your favorite foods is one of those things.”

Keiko picked up a few of the berries and walked back to the window seat, giving most of the berries to Tomomi — they were her favorite, after all — before enjoying the three she kept for herself. As she looked out the window, she merely watched the Forest beyond the safety of Home. After many breaths and many heartbeats, she closed her eyes and bowed her head.

Some might interpret her posture as prayerfulness, but only because she still wore her cloak. No one could see how tightly her hands wrapped around the hilts of her daggers. After a few more heartbeats, she opened her eyes, relaxed her arms, turned, and walked with purpose, grace, and dignity to the Squire of Rames.

Looking up at him, she said quietly, “I am Rhoni. I have been trained to be a Lore Master as well as a Card Reader. I know what all people know about the Knights and Squires of Rames.

“I also know that not all Knights and Squires of Rames feel the need to adhere to the code of chivalry your Lord set before you. I know this because I am a Rhoni and I have traveled in places where the Knights and Squires do not treat women with respect. As your Lord commanded you to do.

“You have made a great effort since leaving Waveriders Watch to pretend that I do not exist. You and the Noble Lady, our Young Master’s wife, ignored my presence and my words. Today, you took what kindness I could gather for you and flung it back in my face.”

The Rhoni’s violet eyes narrowed as she regarded the man standing in front of her.

“If I wished, I could construe all of that as an insult to my honor. It was disrespectful to a woman and cowardly besides.

“If I wished, I could challenge you to a fight in which I would reclaim my honor by besmirching yours. But I do not wish to do such a thing. Not today.

“However, you have insulted me and for that I will demand from you an explanation for your actions. I will demand from you an apology. And I will demand that you atone for the insults you have given me.”

Pietro

The Squire of Rames took a long, slow, deep breath breath, held it several moments and then expelled it equally slowly.

He had never understood this Rhoni teller of fortunes or her odd - to him - point of view toward the world.

Perhaps he did owe her an apology. Certain it was that she thought so and it was definitely true that he had been acting oddly lately - even from his own point of view.

"By the grace of Lord Rames, Miss Keiko, I do apologize for whatever of my words or actions have been perceived by you as insulting." He proffered to her a small nod/half-bow of acknowledgment.

"I had not intended such. It was just when you ordered me to do what I had just told everyone I had done that bothered me. I see now that I should have allowed more leeway for your actions."

"Furthermore, I have not ignored you but I can see where my responses - or lack thereof - could be construed as such."

He nodded again and his shoulders moved up and down perhaps a half an inch.

"It is just that I have never met anyone like you and am frequently at a loss as to how I should respond to you."

Pietro was silent for a long moment again except for the drawing of another deep breath.

"Now, milady, how may I be of service to you?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko]

The Rhoni lass pondered the Squire’s words. Because she considered his words with all the gravity they deserved, it might seem that she spent several long moments practically peering into his very soul. Finally, she tilted her head slightly to the side.

“I see now. Other than the Ladies of Attera and the famous Captain Koromov, you have never met a woman, outspoken or otherwise, who has had a place in the world not defined by a man, ja? If this is so, then I understand how I might be a conundrum to you.”

She, too, shrugged but it was more expressive.

“While we have some strict constraints on our behavior, both women and men, we also have what could appear to be far more freedoms than many Gaija do. And I learned from my Grandmothers to speak my mind even as I learned the meanings of the Cards and how best to convey their messages.”

Again, she shrugged, although a hint of mischief glinted in her eyes.

“I would not suggest that you respond to me as my brother might, for that would only lead to more misunderstanding when I kick your feet out from under you and gloat as you lie on the ground wondering how you got there. No, please don’t interpret that as a threat. That is how I treat my brother when he teases me. I mean for it to be, perhaps, an example of how not to respond, ja?

“Would it be so difficult just to see that I am a person? I am not a damsel who needs saving — not any more or less than Lady Bekkah or Lyric do. I am not as wise as Lady Bekkah, but I possess some wisdom and more knowledge than many people. I am not the warrior Lyric is, but I can defend myself if the need arises. And like Lyric, I would rather things not come to such a place.

“I am just a person, one who happens to be a woman. I would ask that you not let the clothing I wear and the form that they conceal be the basis upon which you choose how to respond to me.”

Finally, Keiko smiled at him.

“When you are at a loss for how to respond, consider that saying or doing something foolish is better than saying or doing nothing — for in that moment, you have the opportunity to learn something you did not already know. I am often foolish. Dommi has admonished me about things that I still do not understand. But I wish to learn and understand, so I will speak to him when he has shed enough of his grief to enjoy teaching once more.

“You know so little about the Rhoni. You now have the opportunity to learn as much as any Gaija can learn about us.

“And this, m’lord Squire Pietro, is how you may be of service to me — leave your preconceived notions of me back in the keep of the Old Masters. Treat me like a person. Be willing to make mistakes and learn from them. I give you my word that I will do the same.

“Let us say that this day is a new beginning. While the Rhoni teachings would say every day, every moment can be a new beginning, I understand that this concept is sometimes a difficult one to grasp. So we can simply say that we will begin anew on this day.”

She held out one hand to him, palm up.

“Does this seem just and honorable to you, Squire Pietro?”

Pietro

The Squire did his best to keep his expression noncommittal as the Rhoni lass talked on and on as was her wont to do. It was not that he did not see her as a person; that had nothing to do with it at all.

It was just that she talked so much, so incessantly and, often in his estimation, about little or nothing but her own wants and needs as seen solely from her own point of view.

Pietro opened his mouth to speak but realized he was not yet ready to respond to her torrent of words and so he shut his mouth without speaking and pondered possible rejoinders for another long moment.

"It is possible that my impressions of you, preconceived or not, were less than perfectly inferred, Miss Keiko, and I will try to learn as much as possible about you and your people as I can so I can act more just and honorable in your sight." He paused and shrugged slightly.

"Especially since I am descended from your people through my distaff side but was never able to learn of the Rhoni culture."

Pietro reached up and touched the wagon wheel ornament which dangled from the chain around his neck.

Last edited by Exeter; Wed 23/08/17 17:34 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Dirkwood Forest
Home
Attaday, the Eighth Day of Yrick

Bekkah, Lyric, Cesare, Keiko … and Most Everyone Else …

Vixen

Broke’s One Rule was simple and in its own way more than a little elegant. It kept the Peace of Home and yet allowed disagreements to be voiced. Perhaps it was the presumption that words may be harsh, but it was the actual action undertaken that proved one’s mettle.

Not that the harsh words and metaphorical dark clouds that surrounded Rhoni and Squire were not observed. They disturbed the refugees more than those at Home. Those who lived here were used to such tussling; the Pack played rough after all and not everyone was happy to wake up with a mushroom sprouting from the top of one’s head. For the refugees such tones were usually followed by punishment or by being taken away as a no longer usable tool.

It garnered a vixen’s attention. Ears perked as the conversation started and then they slowly fell as the conversation slowly fell to pieces, so much like a crystal goblet falling upon a hardwood floor.

Sometimes, it was the lack of action that spoke louder than any words. Two things happened when the Squire refused the offer of the lady’s hand.

Completely incongruous, like a grumble of thunder lasting as briefly as a flash of lightning, there was a harsh snap, like a branch breaking, except it was definitely a metallic sound.

It came from Pietro and he looked down to his scabbard.

Second, like a puppet, the Squire’s head rose. In a surprised tone he spoke.

“I am suddenly feeling very tired. Please excuse me.”

With that he turned and took his leave, taking the stairs that lead down from the common hall.

The vixen’s ears were still flat and gorgeous eyes but narrow slits. Her lips were curled down as she turned to her younger mirror. Seen together they could almost be Mother and Daughter. Lady and Girl were, obviously, made from the mold. Lady reached up and tugged on her own crimson locks.

“Girl. I need to wash all the day and night out of my hair.”

Her words were a combination of exhaustion and a dagger’s harsh edge. The younger vixen looked up and gasped, eyes wide, surprised and blinking and shocked.

“But I can’t … I don’t know how .”

The elder Forest Kin somehow managed a small smile.

“Yes you can. You know how. Tonight it is your most important lesson.

“That making someone else feel welcome and cared for can actually be a good thing.”

Cesare

Finding a place to rest was not a hard for the Rhoni lad. Finding an empty niche, bed room without a door or window bench that was empty, however, was another thing all together. Not even when he found a comfortable corner that he could claim for his own could he find solitude.

First it was light footsteps following in his wake, all sneaky like, as if he was being stalked. But stalked in Home, that was a ridiculous thing. Of course the feeling vanished as he wrapped his cloak around him and there was a whumf of air next to him, the telltale pop of a Mouse arriving.

“No fairs!”

Of course the Raccoon lass had to follow by foot, unable to use the same means of travel that was the specialty of Mice. So he found himself in the most surprising of places – between the two Forest kin who had adopted each other as sisters.

It had been a long night. They were all exhausted. And this was the Forest Folk way.

It was completely innocent. Just knowing that one was not alone – in their world it was a most important thing. It was a sharing of worth.

Instead of mischief they simply snuggled in comfortably. Both, at the same time, like mirror images, put their fingers to their lips and whispered a soft sssshhhhhhh.

There was good reason for the quiet. There, faint, winding up the stairs, came the sounds of stories shared. It was a familiar song, this time sung in key and with a melody that would still be heard generations from now.

… deer are first to raise the gates … turn that capstan round and round …

Lady Bekkah Yurisdotter

There were many who needed Attera’s kind touch this evening. Most were minor hurts; the scratches, bruises, cuts and scrapes associated with the harsh work of mining Darksteel. There were some wounds that were older, deeper, like a broken bone that had healed twisted that needed to be shattered again before it could be made whole.

Those, a touch of Sleep would make the temporary hurt nothing but a bad dream that would fade in time.

It should have taken more power than any one person could have.

But certainly, Someone was pleased and as morning slipped through Home’s diamond paned windows Bekkah had all the strength she needed.

Keiko

When the Rhoni lass returned to her place next to her Forever friend, she was greeted by a shy smile and hands upraised.

“Berries!”

Tomomi had saved some of the sweet Forest treats for Keiko. However, before she could accept the gift, a slice of fish steak on a slender stick was stuck in front of her nose.

“Burned Fish.”

“Berries.”

“Burned Fish.”

“Berries.”

“Burned Fish.”

“Berries.”

“Burned Fish.”

“I am her Forever Friend.”

“Bah.”

The fish was retrieved.

“More for me.”

Cat and Mouse just glared at each other. The Mouse settled everything by wrapping her warm through Keiko’s and drawing her down. The little Mouse nodded towards the Commons, where Lady Bekkah was able to use her skills and magics to sooth the new residents of Home. That her power now worked on the Forest Folk was more than a little miracle. Tomomi just whispered.

“I think … I think … I think I will be the last of us to get Homesick.

“I think … I think … why me? And it is a very sad thought.

“I think … I think … that it was me and no one else will ever feel that way and I got saved is a very happy thought.”

Lyric and One Fang

A strong hand reached up, grabbed a handful of Minstrel head and hood, and very slowly – with both an unmistakable gentleness and strength – drew up Lyric’s head, forcing her to view the crowded commons.

“Look.”

The commons was a slow bustle, but it was an intense one. A younger version of Lady moved from place to place, whispering to the miners, turning scared and frightened looks into something else. She even let herself become held to one spot, when a hand needed to be held for a moment longer, no matter how long that moment was. Lyric could see the shock in Girl’s own eyes, when she realized she did not even have to use her Power to offer those who needed warmth that gift.

“Look and see …”

Looking and seeing were two different things. Only one could look at something, very few could actually see what was going on.

A group of Horses and it was hard to tell, except by the way their clothes hung on undernourished frames, who was a refugee and who had been living here before. New things were shared, not because they were special, but because this was how folks were supposed to treat each other.

A sleepy Soft leaned against a shocked Deer and in turn was leaned upon by a collection of Rats and other Forest Kin, making sure each one of them understood that they had nothing to fear from legendary predators.

Wrath let a Very Brave Rat poke him. Stitch peered over a tabletop, the young lad fascinated by the lace trim on Tomomi’s sleeves. And then there was a Mouse girl absolutely bewitched with the tunic she had been given and a Rat lad spinning around and around in a brand new travel cloak.

Across the hall The Lockpick had been thinking of offering one of the refugees a mushroom and then decided that a bowl of stew was a better choice. There was a look of disbelief that turned into amazement when it was discovered that seconds were not just allowed but that it made the cooks happy.

Both old and new Mice were eyeing a Cat’s soft fur, already co-conspirators.

The simple pleasure of having a blanket to cover one’s self when asleep. That it was alright to cry and that it was alright to be held and that they weren’t going to be hurt for it.

That it was absolutely fine to go to sleep because they would, they really would, wake up in Home and find out that this was not just a dream.

Lyric was not the only one who was watching the commons. At one of the entries a very wet Broke now stood silently. Her hand was atop Dominic’s head as he leaned against the door frame. A pair of absolutely beautiful green eyes peered out from beneath his black cloak.

For the moment, he didn’t care who saw that tell tale cloak of his. This wasn’t his time.

It was theirs.

It was Broke, however, that stood the most still, as if she wore a mantling of heavy, heavy silence. The Minstrel found herself perfectly reflected in the Pack Leader’s eyes.

Were they looking at the same thing?

One Fang whispered.

“We are not warriors. We are not sell swords. We are not Knights or Squires or Heroes of Song.

“We are Guardians.”

“This is why. It doesn’t matter if their names are never spoken again.”

Croga and Quick-Quick were asleep. An exhausted Vixen was finally given the warmth she had spent the night offering others.

They each held one of Girl’s hands.

“This is Tawny and Grey’s legacy.”

Was the Pack Leader looking at the same thing as the Minstrel?

Yes.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 27/08/17 14:54 UTC.
Lyric, a long way from Kethy's Woods

There was no way for Lyric to know how much time had passed, hidden as she was within the depths of One Fang's cloak. When she first woke though, she was absolutely still and silent. She took in the sounds of this common hall around her. She closed her eyes, even in the sheltering darkness of the leathers and fabrics, and let the the sounds resolve themselves into images within her mind's eye. And she knew that One Fang was still close to her. There was a comfort in that, but also a sense of matters unresolved.

Soon enough One Fang would also know she was awake. He probably had very acute senses and would hear her breathing change and also her heart rate resume a pace more akin to the the woken. But if not, then when she drew her arms about herself within the cloak, the movements would betray her.

When Lyric was ready to face the world, or those of Home, shifted on the hearth, sitting more upright and putting her feet to the floor. From within the depths of her hood she could hear a simple song in the background and it made her smile. Music always made her feel better, even if it was just a small measure. There was also a natural cadence to the banter about burned fish and berries.

One Fang put his hands on either side of Lyric's face now as he slipped around behind her. His strong hands directed her attention and , in do ing so, he drew the cloak back far enough for her to do what he asked of her her... or what he directed of her.

Look.

Look and See.

And Lyric did and even as One Fang finished speaking his testament to the Fallen Pack Members, Lyric still focused on Broke.

Lyric drew back the hood, her own hands reaching up and back to take One Fang's pawish hands, one in each of her own, on either side of her face, and held them with an affirming and grateful squeeze.

"Shhh... Guardians I understand, and I also accept that you are not the things that you are not... But it is not for you to tell the Minstrel who is and who isn't a Hero of Song."

Still she kept her attention on Broke.

"When everyone else might run from danger, those that run toward it and face it head on... those are the ones that the world should remember.

"When an ordinary person is placed in an extraordinary situation and they can overcome their fears to rise above the obstacles and challenges, they become extraordinary themselves. When they are willing to sacrifice everything to do what is right, when every instinct tells them to do what is safe, they become heroes.

She glanced back over her shoulder, still holding One Fang's large hands. Her own seemed tiny in comparison.

"Oh... Those are the deeds that inspire hope that any one of us can find those qualities in ourselves. And so, while many here may not know the names, Tawny and Grey, they know their deeds... Your deeds, all of you. The Pack, the Mice, the Rats... from the largest to the smallest of all the Forest Kin and the Friends who helped.

"Tawny and Grey will live on through all of you. They will live on through me and I will never forget. The same is true for any who did not return, my own companion included, and for any who fell trying to get here for the first time. They risked everything for something better, something right, something true.

"Your people have overcome obstacles just to survive, and now you have done something extraordinary to make that survival mean something more... and that is worthy beyond words. I am humbled to have been give a chance to witness this, and to be given a chance to help."

She had looked all around the room and finally rested her attention on Keiko, and she smiled.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Ceasare

He is in a light sleep already and did not hear the footsteps approaching. Perhaps it was the 'pop' in the air that brought his consciousness to the surface and then he could feel the wriggling of two small furry bodies snuggling close. He didn't need to look. He knew who they were. His arms moved also instinctively, creating a safety cordon of warmth around each of the sisters, maybe even a pillow for sleepy heads to lie on. A faint song comes to his ears and he smiles.

Moments later there is a soft snoring.. but still a smile..

Bekkah

She'd always believed they'd be successful, but it had taken all of them. All their skills and talents and all their differences. She'd done nothing more than talk and be some kind of inspiration. Now that they were done, it was her turn to work. She seemed tireless as she healed those that desperately needed before they could get home and then once home she healed each hurt with a gentle touch. She shared her Lady's love with all of them. She knew her Lady was providing her with far more power than she'd ever had and she was more than happy to share it. She worked through the night, finishing up as She arose in the sky. It wasn't directly visible here, but she knew.

She sat by herself, a smile on her face, facing where the sun would be. She sipped on a soothing drink, not even feeling the exhaustion she should be feeling.

"Thank you for allowing me to help my lady." she said to her Goddess that she always felt around her.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko]

Her hand had stretched out to offer the Squire friendship... or at least a path that might lead there someday. Keiko wasn’t sure what she had said or done to offend him, but the longer her hand held nothing but the air of Home, the more certain she was that some integral part of her personality had done just that. She was about to withdraw her hand when she heard the sound of a blade snapping.

Keiko knew that sound. She had heard inferior blades snap and break all her life. The fact that a Squire of Rames’ blade broke of its own accord...

She gasped, and her hand flew up to cover her mouth; her violet eyes widened in shock. There was nothing she could say as he took his leave. Despite the fact that he had made her doubt herself... Yes, despite everything, she felt sorry for him. Not pity, no. It was genuine sorrow.

Shaking her head, she returned to the window seat to be accosted by friends and food. Tomomi and Hinata brought back her smile.

“Friend Hinata, I am telling you quite truthfully that I am not hungry now. Yes, yes! More burned fish for you because you were forgotten by the Old Masters and didn’t get nearly enough food. Please, regain your strength for there will be sunbeams to catch and claim once She rises high enough in the sky to peek into the Forest.”

Then she laughed softly as Tomomi pulled her down onto the cushion. “And you, my Forever Friend, are very silly. Did you know that one single berry — when eaten on a stomach too full or not ready for food — can make a person explode? Uncle Toshi always said so, and his death scenes were never rivaled.

“I just want to rest, Tomomi. I want to enjoy Home, for I think it might be a long time before I return once I leave here.” She smiled and tucked herself close to her friend.

And the Mouse’s words brought a nod and a quiet sigh from the Rhoni.

“Yes, I think you are right. You will be the last to have gotten Homesick. But why you? Well, you understand something about being so very lost and then being found again — it is something even I don’t truly understand, Tomomi. Maybe it gives you a different perspective on what it means to be a friend and have friends. Dommi and Emmi saved one another. I saved you and maybe in some way that I haven’t learned yet you saved me.”

Keiko shrugged.

“I believe one of the things I am to do while walking the world, while riding the waves, before finally sleeping with Emmi’s Lady, is to always keep learning new things. Mother said I’m to teach what I can to others — and maybe she only meant whatever children I might have someday. But I did try my best to share what I know of the world with...” She trailed off, not wanting to think about the pain of those who had not wanted to learn. For some reason, it made her miss her Grandmothers very much... and Renyard, too.

“It’s a very good thing, though, that no one else will need to learn the lesson you did.

“You know, I believe you are the one who started all this. You were Homesick and I worried about you. So Lady and Renyard brought Lady Bekkah and me here. Lady Bekkah saw that a Great Healing was needed and I saw a small, lonely, scared and pretty Mouse who needed a friend. And then?” Keiko glanced around the common room. “All of this. It was like a waterfall — one deed, one drop of water, and before you know it, rainbows are sparkling from the flowing water as She touches it, and many lives are made better.”

At some point, she must have dozed off. She remembered whiskers tickling her face and soft fur keeping the foot resting on the floor warm as she dreamed of voices speaking to her in a language that didn’t exist.

Gurama’hagat.

Guramyan.

Ta’pahlet.

As she floated up out of sleep, Keiko found herself thinking, almost replying to the strange words of the dream.

Pash'ahlah'shrah.

Dendeken.

You’re welcome.

As strange as the dream had been, it had been a comforting one. Keiko was tempted to remain wrapped in that comfort, but the soft warmth that had covered her foot was now a velvety but insistent band around her ankle.

Opening her eyes, she saw Lyric and return her smile. Then she looked down at her foot to see that Hinata had encircled her ankle with one hand. He was either still sleeping or doing an excellent job pretending. Then she looked back at Lyric and shrugged the shoulder not being used as a pillow by Tomomi, smiling more brightly.

The not-fierce Cat was doing a good job of making Keiko wish there might be a way to include him in their group and on their journeys. It would certainly be a difficult thing. And Hinata would likely deny having any such motivations. After all, it was so much more efficient to let the sunbeams come to him than for him to seek them out far and wide.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gypsy
Gypsy
Pidley, Cambs, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,484
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy