Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (AquaDyne), 21 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
You know, I have been pretty disappointed by this summer's anime releases. Oh I am sure there are popular shows - or those that will develop into popular shows - but there hasn't been one that reached out and grabbed me ... like Aldnoah Zero, Erased, Little Witch Academia or even Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

And so I was scrolling through the new releases and blinked. There was a new show called Princess Principal ... and I went, what sort of name is that? Is it a slice-of-life high school story ... is it worse ..an eechi harem high school story ... is it a fantasy school story ...

I went ... well Kobayashi had a strange name but was good ... how much can it hurt? I mean it can't be as bad as Daily Life ... can it?

The only thing I was right about is that it's set in a preparatory school.

The sepia toned introduction, the not-quite-our England setting, the airships and ... and a secret war ... a secret war of spies? Then the opening kicked in and it was ... one hundred percent honest to god hard hitting ... steampunk.

The art is great, the character designs right on the nose. The dialogue - tight and biting ... with the ending of the first episode is right up there with the darkest of Film Noir. That's right, Film Noir. Princess Principal is dark, and somehow, in one episode they packed very tangled intrigues, plots within plots within plots and lies.

Lots and lots and lots of lies.

There are more Deep Dark Secrets in this show than in a Mina game!

When one of the heroines goes on a rampage against the Other Side? They die. That's right. Dead as in Tarantino dead. No punches are pulled. I say Other Side because I haven't quite figured out who the good guys are, especially after Episode 2.

Episode One set the style and nature of the show.

Episode Two shows how it all started.

If this show can keep the promises it makes in the first two episodes ... it's a keeper.

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 01/08/17 01:18 UTC.
M
M
Sounds like it could be worth a look. Don't see it on NetFlix yet, but will keep an eye out for it.

MikeD
Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Quote:
There are more Deep Dark Secrets in this show than in a Mina game!

Guess I will have to up my A game!

Thanks for the pitch, I will check this one out!

Jinkies!
oh ... that tease has got me keeping an eye out for it too

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

Well ... fan-subs (which actually have been really good)(and sneak past the DCMA under reasonable free-use clauses) ... can be found at:

kissanime.ru

It usually gets uploaded on a Sunday; I'm hoping to see Episode 4 show up tonight.

I recommend a pop up blocker - and using the hide buttons to kill the adds.

And yes that's the opening. Of course its a bit more fanciful than the actual story, like any good james bond opening theme. The lizard makes metaphorical sense and the opening isn't a cover. It's in English.

And the green glow? That's not magic. That's the show's steampunk creds.

Cavorite.

Quote:
... I will never be deceived ...
... I'm a girl that see through lies ...

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 30/07/17 22:18 UTC.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
KenSeg
KenSeg
Jensen Beach, Florida
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,823
Posts140,422
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy