Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Phoenix Prime, Miales, nem), 14 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Mill
Rameday, the Sixth Day of Yrick

Bekkah, Keiko, and Tomomi

The only problem for Bekkah was the nap. The Mill was an obvious choice because Bekkah had spent more time there than any of the other farmhouses and on the small stone stoop she had a beautiful view of the surrounding fields. It was not that the nap itself was a problem at all, but when Missus Miller discovered a sleepy Atteran on her doorstep... well, that was a different thing.

Bekkah had finally realized the toll the morning’s activities had taken on her. The nap had turned into a falling asleep, with the priestess finally stirring blurrily to a setting sun, a warm country-style blanket wrapped around her, and a Rhoni lass climbing up the stairs.

About the time Keiko reached the top of the stairs, there was a whumph of wind, and the two had become a three. Tomomi wrapped both her arms around Keiko’s one and turned her hood up. Here, at the end of the day, all alone — at least the three of them — she shook off her hood.

“Broke invented that, you know. For when one of us wasn’t feeling well. She said it was a pack thing that anyone can do.”

She looked to Bekkah.

“I bet that’s going to happen to Lady Bekkah every time she sets foot in Home, isn’t it?”

The little Forest Kin then looked at Keiko.

“You look very, very tired...”

The Forest Kin suddenly wrapped both her arms tight around the Rhoni lass and hugged. She whispered one equally quiet word.

“Mouse.”

Last edited by Wolf; Mon 31/10/16 14:50 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Mill

It was a quiet night and a beautiful sunset.

Bekkah hadn’t stirred, all wrapped up comfy on the Mill’s front door stoop. Tomomi stayed with Keiko, to watch Her light finish painting the sky in reds and purples and then fade to black.

“I could find that purple, you know,” Tomomi whispered softly.

“Except it is really, really hard. I’d feel really, really bad because it’s a butterfly purple. I could wait until they passed and collect them, but somehow that’s even sadder.

“I’m sorry.”

She leaned against her companion as if the contact was needed, a reminder she had a friend that made the sadness bearable and something that could be overcome.

“The red is easy. There’s clay in the streams not far from here.”

Keiko’s Mouse took a breath.

“It’s always been something I did to help bring something back to Home. That and I could get threads and needles to make lace. You know, now that it’s something shared, it doesn’t seem as hard as it was before.”

Tomomi closed her eyes.

“Maybe saving the others is just like that. Something that can’t be done all alone. Not just me. Something us Forest Folk can’t do all alone.

“Having a friend is the most important thing in the world, isn’t it?”

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

The colors She lent the world before She took Her rest for the night were always beautiful. And they always seemed more beautiful when Keiko shared them with Family or friends who also appreciated the subtly differing hues.

She looked at Tomomi as she spoke. A smile spread across her features, and she shook her head as her friend apologized, and then hugged her close. The Rhoni would wash away Tomomi’s sadness if she could, but sadness was a part of life and one of the emotions that balanced happiness and joy.

“You don’t need to apologize, Tomomi. It’s such a beautiful purple, but I wouldn’t want you to be sad because you’re taking it from the butterflies. And I think, if I tried, I could take some of the blue pigment you brought that very nearly matches the color of Lady Bekkah’s eyes and add a bit of red and some of the white you brought me yesterday to make purple.” She sighed, but it was a sigh of contentment.

“It might turn out to be really, really hard... because different red pigments mix better with the blue, and find the right amount of white to add could be tedious. But it certainly wouldn’t be sad!”

It was a revelation, a bit of one anyway, to learn how Tomomi had contributed to the Home. Keiko had seen how they all contributed in whatever ways they could. They were so much like a family, sharing chores and errands, each to their own abilities. Most of them probably had never realized that. Broke had understood, though... despite the different words she used. Family... Pack. These were different words that meant different things to different people. But when the knot of differing understandings came unraveled, at the center was the same thing for both Rhoni and Wuff — belonging, safety, trust.

“The proper answer, at least for a Rhoni,” Keiko whispered, “is that Family is the most important thing in the world. That’s a valid response when one is surrounded by a Family as loving as mine, with elders who are wise and steadfast. But I think that the best answer is that having friends is the most important thing in the world.”

And a new understanding of so many things suddenly became much clearer by merely speaking those words out loud, even if it was no more than a whisper.

That is why Mother believes in True Love, I think. It is because she and Father are friends – good friends, true friends.” Her chuckle was hardly more than a chuff. “I don’t always decide that someone is a friend after one day. Sometimes it takes two or a handful or even more! Mother is so silly. I shall have to tell her so when I see her again.”

She glanced at Lady Bekkah as the light faded, maybe just a little worried that the healer had slept away an entire day. Was that normal? Well, given the tremendous favor she had asked of her Goddess, perhaps it was. Keiko understood that sacrifices had to be made in exchange for the power to perform spells. If she used the simple spells that anyone could learn, she knew it was important to eat well and rest. If she used the more powerful spells her Elders had taught her, she didn’t need to be reminded to do these things — she became ravenous and was exhausted by the end of the day.

How much more food and rest would the Lady of Attera need after sacrificing so much today?

“Perhaps we should be friends to Lady Bekkah,” Keiko said to Tomomi. “She should eat and then sleep again.” Taking her friend’s hand, she led the way to the stoop of the Mill’s living quarters — a very short distance.

She shook the healer’s shoulder gently. “Lady Bekkah? It’s time you had a meal. You can wake up enough to eat something, can’t you?” Keiko opened the door to see Missus Miller setting the bread on the table, then turning back to her kettle of stew.

“Come, Lady. I don’t know if Tomomi and I could carry you to the bench. Oh, we would surely try!” The Rhoni’s voice held more than just a grain of humor. “I fear we might drop you on your head, though, and that would be terribly rude.”

She looked through the door again. She didn’t want to be rude to the Millers either... inviting guests to their dinner table two nights in a row, and her just being a guest herself!

“If you’d not mind, Missus Miller, the Lady Bekkah ought to get my share of dinner tonight. I wasn’t the one asking for miracles today and praying so hard that a miracle happened.” Keiko glanced at Tomomi, a recipient of that miracle, before turning back to Missus Miller. “It be a betrayal of thine hospitality to invite the Lady to thine table without a by your leave and a moment’s notice. Miss Tomomi and I can make do.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Bekkah

She hadn't meant to fall asleep on the stoop, but she also knew that she really didn't want to get up. Within minutes, she was lost to the world. Her Goddess' image filled her dreams, her words echoing in her mind. She also felt her love and warmth so it was no wonder that the priestess barely stirred as she slept.

Hours later, she felt a touch on her shoulder. She stirred, but didn't wake until she felt it again and again. Finally, she opened her eyes and smiled up at Keiko and Tomomi.

"I guess I was more tired than I thought. I just intended to take a short nap here."

She shook her head at their offer to carry her.

"No, no need for that. I feel quite refreshed in fact. I still need a good night's sleep, but I can certainly manage walking."

She stood, brushing dust from her skirts, hearing what Keiko asked Missus Miller.

"I couldn't do that Keiko. I am not a big eater normally, so let us all share, what the kind woman is offering."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Mill

At her doorstep, the Miller’s wife took in her collection of guests.

“First, you are a Kind Lady. No one in their right mind would ever turn you away, right, husband?”

From within the Miller’s house came a confirmation.

“Yes, dear.”

Missus Miller then crossed her arms.

“You heard him. Get in, dinner is served. But your guest, Miss Keiko, will be having to share with you. Fair’s fair unless she’s going to help around the place.”

Tomomi just blinked.

“I can sweep, I can straighten bedding. I collect pigments mostly, and I can make lace...”

That brought Missus Miller to a sudden halt, as she looked at the Forest Kin’s sleeves.

“Are you telling me you made that?”

Tomomi nodded.

“Yes, ma’am.”

Missus Miller then opened the door.

“Well then, come in. We got talking to do, we do.”

Inside dinner waited. Keiko knew not to be worried about having to share her meal; the Millers’ helpings were plentiful. That and it seemed Missus Miller wanted to barter a bit with Tomomi. And that went well; Tomomi could come up and eat at this table while she was in the village in exchange for samples of exquisite stitchery.

Tomomi didn't mind sharing a plate with Keiko, claiming a very small corner of a bench next to the Rhoni lass.

"This is another important thing. Sharing is what friends do, ja?"

The question was, in Tomomi's simple manner, completely earnest. She was still learning how to be a good companion.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Ja, fair is fair. And neither of us eats all that much.”

But Keiko smiled at Missus Miller’s provisional acceptance of Tomomi. She smiled more brightly at the bargaining, seeing just how well Lady had taught her friend. Finally, she let out a quiet sigh when the negotiation was concluded.

Sitting beside Tomomi, the young Rhoni shared her plate, her food with her Mouse friend. She nodded and looked around the table before answering.

“Ja. Sharing is what friends do. It is important and helpful and comfortable.”

After eating some of her vegetables and nibbling a piece of bread, Keiko looked over at the healer.

“Thank you. I know there is still work we must do to ensure the safety of all the Forest Kin, but what you did this morning was one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen.” She smiled again, looking at both the Miller and his wife, then at her friend, before looking once more at Lady Bekkah.

“I saw with my heart and not my eyes. It’s not something I will soon forget. I hope I never forget.”

Keiko tore off another small piece of bread and handed it to Tomomi as she grinned.

“My brave and beautiful and clever friend won’t let me forget. Will you?”

Bekkah

She considered protesting for the briefest of moments, but she had a pretty good sense for people and she knew Keiko wouldn't hear of it, neither of Tomomi so she accepted the offer.

The exchange between Tomomi and Missus Miller made her smile and she looked over at Keiko and gave her a tiny wink.

"Thank you good lady." she said as the food was placed before her. She ate and listened to the conversation.

She nodded to Keiko's comment about this morning's activity.

"My Lady can certain express herself in a wondrous manner. I know I'll never forget it either."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Mill

“Well...”

Missus Miller leveled a very stern look to Lady Yurisdotter.

“You certainly know how to wake everyone up on a Harvest morning.”

She did not, however, stop making sure everyone was well fed. She didn’t sit herself, but that did not seem to bother her. Tomomi was quietly happy and appeared to have a preference for broccoli. Even if it mean that one time Keiko looked down to find one of her florets replaced with two carrot slices.

“I didn’t see it...”

Tomomi whispered.

“But I certainly felt it. All warm, like having a tummy full of Miss Miller’s bread.”

Missus Miller glowered.

“Don’t try flattering me Miss. It won’t work.”

“No, Ma’am!”

Tomomi answered fast and tried to hide a small smile. She did, however, look up to her companion.

“Of course. It’s my job. Mister Renyard is never wrong. It is what happens when you acquire a Mouse.”

Bekkah

Bekkah was no longer a young girl, so the Miller's wife's stern looks had little to no effect on her.

"I would have warned people, but I honestly didn't know it would be that noticeable and I didn't know my Lady would answer my prayer. Even her priestess' have no guarantees."

"Still it was impressive and I hope not an unwelcome way to wake up." she said smiling as she ate.

Last edited by Nivek; Fri 11/11/16 19:34 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“To me, it felt like a hug from everyone in my whole Family, all at once.” The Rhoni looked up at Lady Bekkah. “It was nice... like the currents — just for a handful of heartbeats or so — had become a warm bath. You know, not going anywhere and there was no need to watch for the waves.”

Keiko grinned cheerfully. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Lyric wrote a song about it. And I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t, either,” she added with a giggle.

She noted the exchange of broccoli for carrots as Tomomi ate and rearranged the food on the plate they shared. When it came to vegetables, there wasn’t one yet that Keiko had found she didn’t like. Carrots were quite delicious, although potatoes might still be the very best. Turnips were fickle things... in the wrong cook’s hands, they could be dreadful. She had the misfortune to discover early on that Jerris was a wrong cook for dealing with turnips.

She stopped thinking about vegetables to consider Tomomi’s comment.

“A Mouse is a very different kind of friend.” Keiko blinked, and it took a moment to realize just how very different. “A Mouse is... is a forever friend?” She regarded Tomomi for long silent heartbeats. “Oh, my. That is something outside the Rhoni way of being in the world.” Then she blinked again, her bright violet eyes never leaving Tomomi’s face. “I have a new thing to learn, don’t I? Well, it will be a good thing, I know that.”

She smiled and set the last piece of broccoli on Tomomi’s side of the plate.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Mill

“There are worse things to wake up to.

“Bears. Bears are always bad news.”

To which Mister Miller replied to his wife, “Yes, dear.”

Tomomi, however, missed that bit of conversation. She smiled, so very, very brightly, at the offer of a floret. Such a small gift and such a small smile. Tomomi nibbled the green vegetable, considering matters seriously... or at least as seriously as a newly made person could.

“We know what happened, isn’t that all that matters? We don’t need a song to remember this, and there’s no way we can forget. If we need to do something for Miss Bekkah, wouldn’t it be better to simply be the best folks we can be, now that she’s made us folks?”

As Keiko spoke, Tomomi leaned gently against her friend.

“Lady says it’s very clever to have many friends. She says it’s lucky to have a dear friend. She always ends that lesson with a whisper.

“That it’s smarter to be lucky than clever.”

The lill’un yawned.

“Tummy full. I didn’t understand that until I was lost and then got found.

Miss Miller cleared away the dinner. The sun had set, so all that was left was sleep.

The creaking of the big gears and the sound of the millstream were a lovely lullaby for friends to share.

Hasday, the Seventh Day of Yrick

Morning was announced by the streaming of light through the small dormer window.

From downstairs came the smell of warm bread and bacon. The bacon must be a remnant of the market day, being cooked up before it went bad.

There was one more truth of mornings that still took a bit of getting used to for Keiko.

Whiskers tickled.

A look outside the window revealed the rest of the waking Village and there, down the side of the rock, near the bottom, the young Korie Lord and his Mouse were seen partaking in their breakfast.

Because Tomomi had offered, once she was up she was set to chores. The first was to go to the right stream and bring back a bucket of water. Needless to say, there was more than a little shock on Miss Miller’s face when almost immediately after she had shut the front door behind the Forest Kin there was a knock and Tomomi was back, holding a full bucket of water in both hands.

Once breakfast was finished, Miss Miller shooed them out of doors.

Which was fine. It was a new day and the first day of Lady Yurisdotter’s Quest.

Now this, this was something someone might eventually write a song about.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

As the young Rhoni started to drift off to sleep, sharing her her little bed with her forever Mouse friend, she recalled the words Tomomi had said at dinner.

Lady says it’s very clever to have many friends. She says it’s lucky to have a dear friend...

...it’s smarter to be lucky than clever.

“Wonder what Lady would say ‘bout being lucky and clever,” she murmured as sleep pulled her down into dreams of colors dancing traditional Rhoni circle dances and Lyric playing the strangest tunes — not unpleasant at all, merely something only found in dreams.

When she woke, the dreams faded to the dim memory of pleasant memories. And she giggled at the tickling whiskers.

She managed not to laugh when Tomomi surprised Missus Miller with her ability to quick-quick move from one place to another place. She had tidied up her little room, trying to decide what would be needed on a journey to help the rest of the Forest Kin. Sighing, she decided people who knew about quests and rescues and such would be the folks who could tell her what she’d need.

She suspected that all her pigments would not be part of the list. But she was just a Card Reader... what did she know of heroic deeds like rescues and quests? In the end, she left her pack right where it was.

And after breakfast, Keiko stood in Her light outside the mill holding Tomomi’s hand. She looked at Lady Bekkah.

“I saw the Young Master and Miss Emmi before breakfast. Do you think we should go talk to them and your friends about helping the rest of the Kin?”

She bit her lip, considering her next words.

“Um... and if you could introduce me all proper to your Lost Rhoni friend, I wouldn’t have to keep ignoring him. I know our traditions are a bit strange to most folks, but we have them for a good reason.”

Of course, at the moment, it was difficult to remember exactly what that reason was — proprietary and courtship and not-courtship and a whole host of other complicated things that dictated how Families and Caravans interacted. But Keiko wasn’t going to risk making the Ancestors unhappy by breaking one of the most important traditions of the Rhoni.

Bekkah

She felt well rested the next day. She could tell she still needed to work her way up in her Lady's favor. She knew she wasn't as strong as she had been, but just thinking about yesterday made her smile. Given all she knew now, she'd have done this all over again.

"A good morning to you Keiko. It seems, I have slept later than normal again. A habit, I'd best not let get worse." she said with a smile.

"Yes, I agree we should see what the others are planning. I'm certain they have been discussing it for they are not the types to sit and wait."

She looked embarrassed at Keiko's last statement.

"Oh my dear, I'm so sorry. With all of the things going on, I forgot that you needed the introduction. That shall be our first task of the day."

"Come." she said linking her arm in Keiko's.

[ooc: Switching to the other thread. If she doesn't want to come, let me know and I'll edit.]

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
nem
nem
GMT 0
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,440
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy