Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (AquaDyne, Miales), 6 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm
Rameday, the Sixth Day of Yrick

Cesare, Kadri, Pietro, Dommi, Miss Mouse, and Ruri Heatherson

“Sure, lad...”

Ruri beckoned Cesare over, where he was finishing up with his herd.

“You ever put a cow to bed? Not as easy as it looks. You do it like this...”

Asking to help – that seemed to mean quite a bit in this small place. The more they worked together, the better the farmer’s mood became.

“Don’t worry for that. That’s my job.”

And even with help, some things folks just saved for themselves. As they worked together, the other evening dramas played themselves out.

It seemed that in a tug of war between a Lord and two Forest Folk, that the Forest Folk would win. It probably had a lot to do with the Lord’s lack of stature, they being about the same size and outnumbering him, but for the moment he was undeniably stuck in one place.

They definitely shrunk beneath the protection of Dominic’s cloak at the words of the Amber lady, to which the dark haired rake simply listened — the exact same way he had listened to Missus Heatherson and Ruri Heatherson.

“You know...”

The young lord shrugged his shoulders.

“I’m not the sharpest sword in the armory. I wish I could remember the many reasons for leaving Talantal. I suspect, if I had that many reasons, I’d get all tangled up every now and then, and being caught up in things — especially my own stories — one or two get misplaced. Maybe I had that many when I left Talantal. If so, I’ve forgotten most of them. That’s the problem with coming from a small village, we are only allowed one or two important things to remember. Which is a really big problem because I keep forgetting how to tell the difference between grapes and blueberries until I try one, thinking it’s a blueberry and then discovering I hate grapes. Yuck!”

“Of all the important things you remember, the last one is the one I try to not forget. Especially since it really doesn’t apply to us. It’s really about everyone else.”

“About everyone else...”

He smiled and looked at the Forest Kin on his left.

“Don’t you have somewhere you are supposed to be? Go, go, go! Your work here is done!”

Tomomi giggled at that and then turned. Did she get swallowed by Dominic’s cloak? Did she scoot away in a moment when no one was looking? But just like a certain one of Dominic’s servants in Talantal, she was there... look away for a heartbeat, and she was gone.

Well, except for a whisper.

“Thank you!”

Dommi shrugged his shoulders once again.

“You know, if I had a crown for every time a big brother or father got mad at me for something I’d never do? I’d need three shaggies, a fullhand of horses, a hand of pack mules and a donkey. And a marmoset to carry my change purse. Which would be very difficult, since I have no idea what a marmoset is.”

“The important thing isn’t stumbling. It’s how you pull yourself up and move on. Which, I have on good authority, this bloke is right good at.”

Nodding to Pietro, he let out a long breath.

“Moving on is a question now that you’ve accepted the Rhoni’s quest. Starting with simple things — like how to get into the Forest without it eating us.”

Dominic leveled the Squire a steady look.

“First, stop worrying. You should know better. How many Noble marriages do you know of are because the two actually like each other? Well except for the Larsens, of course. How can they not? Even I’d marry Tieg Larsen, he’s such a nice guy. Not that I don’t like this fair lass — when she remembers how to laugh and forgets about being an Amber princess, she’s quite nice to be around. A body could do much worse. For myself... well... the day I finally got rescued out of those bloody mines and forges — aye, that’s right, rescued — my days as legendary and dashing rake became just that. Legendary. No longer rooted in fact.

“So my life... it’s what you’d call... complicated.

“Besides, we made a promise to Missus Heatherson. We got to come back alive, and that’s going to take more than just storming the castle. Because it’s not a castle. It’s more like a lake.

“The real question, however, right now, is much simpler.

“Do we talk tonight or tomorrow?”

That got a tug on his cloak. He and Miss Em shared a look and a nod as she lightly stepped away. The lill’un then skipped over to Cesare. It was a pace he recognized; it was the same light and free step she had when they walked the towers of Talantal together.

Just like she did with Dominic, she reached up and tugged on Cesare’s sleeve.

“Miss Kathi says hello! I was asked to tell you that. She misses you; says it was fun showing you the keep.

“I need to go to Home soon, and I didn’t want to forget.”

Lyric and Mikal

The grim mercenary listened to the minstrel’s words. In the end, however, he merely shook his head. His manner resolute, his beliefs were set in steel as rigid as his blade. With another shake of his head, he turned and walked back towards the rock that anchored the small hamlet.

He spoke of having a need to think about this, by himself. Alone. And that his answer would be clear tomorrow on his return from his own tasks, for he still had his wood gathering to complete.

He bid the others good night, and if he didn’t return he had found his own fields to ride.

Now Lyric was alone, but not too alone. Kadri, Cesare, and Dommi were less than a stone’s toss away. Keiko had left for the Mill.

If folks allowed, if folks wished, they could set the past behind them and look ahead to opportunities. All one had to do, as Lyric had so wisely spoken to Dommi, was to just chose to do so.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He enjoys working with animals, always had, and his last job before joining this group and taking a whole new direction of helping people and righting injustice, had been goat herding. Whole different thing cows. Slow and ponderous, but big. Whereas goats were much smaller and lively. But he learns quickly, always happy to take direction.

Then he feels a tug and looks down to see Mouse, his mind realising that Mouse probably came from here. He hunkers down so that he is on her level.

"Aye we had some fun exploring the keep. I miss Miss Kathi too. You can tell her that when you get back."

He grins.

"And are they treating =you= well at the keep? And is the young Master staying in good health now?

Pietro

The squire cocked his head to one side and gave the Korie lord a long, appraising look. Then he smiled and shrugged.

"I would think we could talk some tonight and more tomorrow, if that suits you, Dommi," he said, thinking it best to skip right over the whole noble marriage thing. He did not see how exploring that subject could possibly benefit him.

"Who knows the most about the Forest Kin and their masters? Which of the Forest Kin, I mean. And can we get together with him or her or them and discuss strategy and tactics?"

"I also would like to know more about the history of the little ones... how the dwarves managed to... create them in the first place, how they managed to get along without souls..." Pietro paused and started ticking items off on his fingers.

"How they are different now that they have been provided with souls thanks to the grace of Lady Attera."

"Oh, and there are many other questions. In fact, I know so little of the matter that I have no idea how many questions I would ultimately like to ask."

Pietro shrugged again and his slight smile warped into a rather crooked grin.

"I do like grapes, though."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"What we need here is to make the complex simple. So we can proceed to make it complex again. I think if we meet tonight and tomorrow, we should do two things. Tonight should be for stories. What led to this point, why things are what they are - -and the next for moving forward, for where we go. And fruit is good, although rather than grapes or blueberries, Lisica prefers apples."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 01/11/16 00:37 UTC.
Pietro

Pietro nodded, his lower lip protruding slightly as he considered Kadri's idea.

"I would like that. I feel that I need to have a better feel for the Forest Kin and their history. That would not affect my decision to help them in their... liberation - I have already given my oath on that, but it would make me feel better about those I am sworn to defend."

The squire shrugged again - it seemed to be habitual ever since he'd arrived at Waverider's Watch.

"And, who knows, it might lead to a tactical approach to our quest."

Lyric

The Minstrel stood there watching after the departing Jvrillian until she could no longer see him. Her words had failed. And, while it wasn't the first time in her life that this happened (her words not having the desired effect), it affected her deeply. Life was all about choices. And she knew the consequences of 'giving up' on making those choices. In fact, her Journey began because of a desire to live life. To see things differently... to make choices.

Mikal made a choice and that had to be respected. She couldn't disagree with his choice either. It was his to make and all she could do was try to be persuasive and hope he might be influenced to see things her way.

Choices had consequences. Choices changed things. Some things end and other things begin. It is the way of things. Or, at least, it should be the way of things. Change can be hard, especially when you have lived an isolated life where change is viewed as destructive, and where new ideas are not tolerated.

Choices had consequences. Some choices led to exciting things... new adventures too. Lyrics words could not erase the anguish caused by the words of another. That wasn't her intent though. She hoped to use words to illustrate a larger portrait of the life in which they all lived. The 'sing a song' or 'tell a story' that showed that while words were powerful they couldn't hurt you unless you let them do so.

Her words had failed and it affected her deeply.

Lyric shifted her heavy pack on her back, standing such that she could bear the burden of silent inactivity. She wore the same clothes she had worn the Passing of She before this one and she hadn't bathed either. She didn't know where to bathe in this town. And it occurred to her that she needed to ask someone soon before the good folk of the town took notice and declared her a nuisance or some such.

And yet she still stood there. Mikal was almost out of her sight now.

Her prospects were limited though. Without Keiko to bridge the 'gap of introductions' and other formalities Lyric was sort of 'on her own'. She glanced toward the Rock where Mikal was headed and to the mill house in particular. For Bekkah had gone there and so had Keiko and Tomomi... but climbing the steep switchbacks carrying her pack seemed an arduous task, especially if she was to be told that bathing happened elsewhere, further up or back down again.

"Don't be Grumpy," she reminded herself softly. "It's a choice. Be neither sad nor angry. These too are choices. Choose to be happy, find something, anything, to make you smile, to make you happy, and life is meaningful in so many ways you might never see otherwise."

She turned to west horizon, and knew that somewhere not too distant there was a vast body of water and that She was all but gone and all that remained of her light was the fire orange halo that touched only the clouds now. She let her pack slip from her shoulders and she lowered it to the ground right behind her.

And Lyric sang hauntingly and powerfully to the day's last light, to the Day That Was, to the Day Yet To Come, and to any souls who would pause to listen to her emotional, ethereal voice. Her voice was that of a lover saying good day past and good night to come... Her voice was that of an open invitation to remain, return, or be well in wherever life's journey took you. It was 'Well Met' and 'Good Bye' and 'Safe Journey' all in one offering for any who heard it.

She sang mostly for herself though... and with her back to Kadri, Dommi, and Pietro, she let her emotions loose and fill her song's words with all the hopes and dreams she had for what the future held for her... but it was always just one day at a time. The tears ran down her cheeks unabated.

The cares of tomorrow must wait 'til this day is done

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri looked to both Dominic and Pietro.

"Excuse me for a moment. Something to do."

"... and she walks over to the singer.

"Beautiful song. Beautiful horizon."

She says idly.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 01/11/16 17:17 UTC.
Pietro

The squire looked off toward the minstrel, his gaze growing soft, unfocused, as he listened to her sing. He felt a chill prickle at the back of his neck and a slight smart in his eyes.

Something had happened which apparently had hurt Lyric.

Had Mikal said something? Done something? He had not struck Pietro as one who would be rude or cruel to a woman.

The song, though. The song was beautiful.

Lyric

Lyric stood still and quiet for only a few moments before she sensed that she was not alone. At the approach of Dama Korie, Lyric turned slightly away from the woman at her right side to hide her face and swept her fingers across her cheeks and under both of her eyes, to wipe away any evidence of her emotions.

"Yes, Miss Kadri... Yes, it is."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She talked in a quiet voice.

"Always loved the horizon back home. Get on a horse, ride towards the ever receding horizon. Nothing above you but the endless burning sky by day or the endless bejeweled blackness of the night. Below the vast seas of waving grass, ruffled by the winds. The thumping beat of the hooves beneath you in rhythm with the beat of your heart. Yesterday fades into the black behind, tomorrow you try to catch up with and overtake. It does wonders for thinking. The Horizon is potential. It is today fading into yesterday and yesterday fading into the yesterdays before. It is the potential of a new day ahead, filled with possibilities. Changes. Yesterday chasing you while you chase tomorrow. Hunter and hunted."

She pauses again.

"I like the horizon. I don't know you - nonetheless, I think I like you."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Thu 03/11/16 01:13 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

Cesare, Kadri, Lyric, Pietro, Dommi, and Miss Mouse

“I do very well, thank you...”

Miss Mouse nodded back to Cesare, shifting her balance from one foot to the other, this way and that as if she were finally getting used to being out in the open instead of castle corridors.

“No one can really hurt me, really, since I belong to the Young Master...”

Those words came out light and easy as if there was a smile hidden beneath her travel cloak hood. But then she stopped, the cowl tilted and she actually giggled.

“No, no, no, no...”

She pointed to Dominic Korie.

“The young master? He is the Young Master. Lord Tray is his older brother, yes? He reads me books with big pictures in them, which I like a lot. And Lord Tray is doing very well. Lord Marcus is beginning to actually trust him, which is good — because Lord Tray really doesn’t want to be Marcus. The other big folks don’t like him very much because he doesn’t let them get away with stealing and being unfair to folks.

“But that just means there’s another group of big folks that do like him. Especially the twins and the younger folks who dress like him.”

Her arm shifted then, from Dominic to Pietro.

“The Young Master owns this place, not Lord Tray. This where we first met... well... not exactly...”

The hood ducked and looked to the ground.

“We met in That Place. I didn’t have a name yet. We didn’t really have names there, just what we did. So there were Diggers, Packers, Overseers, Lookers, Finders and me... I was the only one of me...”

That chain of words broke Dominic from the others, his pace as silent and smooth as a shadow until he had slipped up behind the small person, and just as quietly wrapped his arms around her shoulders from behind, as if he already knew the destination of this chain of words.

“...Executioner.”

Resting his head next to hers, the Korie Lord took over the conversation.

“Not anymore, Emerald.”

Dominic looked up.

“You want tales, Dama Korie? You want to know their history, Squire? And you, word crafter fair, do you want to hear of lands where legends remain and if there is a future to be won from the past that has been lost?

“But I cannot guarantee that the cares of tomorrow will not haunt tonight.”

He then looked to his cloaked companion.

“It is your tale, Emmi. You should tell it.”

The hood shook back and forth, a single slow but undeniable decline.

Dominic closed his eyes, and tucking Miss Em beneath his pure black cloak again, he opened his dark eyes and let one hand sweep a dramatic arc towards the northern border of the Village.

The Dirkwood Forest.

“Imagine... take a breath and let it out, close your eyes and when they open again, imagine a day long ago. On these hills Imperial banners waved above a gathering strong; a tall Prince stood and gazed into that nightmare wood — for they already knew it was death that lived there. And yet, he was the Prince of the Bankorpool Empire, and by his side, he had an advisor who saw nothing but timber, nothing that the axes of his people could not fell.

“Would you not think, would you not believe, that for something to be so deadly, there might be hidden within it treasures and power beyond one’s ken? They knew from the farmer’s stories, from the witches they burned that the greatest army that ever walked on the world perished there, and their armor and weapons were there for the taking.

“The Imperial Prince had become convinced that in the center of the Dirkwood was their Dall Gwynn. I am sure they told tales of riches beyond belief, of powerful magics, of the wine of life forever. How could it not? They had discovered the forest’s real name and how could there not be something shattering at the heart of The Heartwood?”

The Imperial closed his eyes. Then he opened them again.

“I believe that Prince Faast thought he would find glory. But I think the truth of it is that his advisors knew exactly what they were doing, knew exactly where they were going and why.

“I was once asked why the Bankorpool Archipelago was an archipelago.

“Of all places, I found that answer in the Dirkwood.

“Close your eyes,” the storyteller asked. He waited a handful of heartbeats and then continued.

“Open them, and I ask what if the Dwarves were right? What if there is a lake inside the Forest, and what if you sunk a shaft into that lake? You would find that treasure? Of course, it had to be in the center of the lake to serve as your moat, to keep the cursed forest at bay.

“Except... except... what if? What if the mining of that wealth was the most dangerous task you could imagine, and beyond that? What if it were so terrible even the thought of mining it was a brutal and terrifying thing?

“What if... you didn’t care and were going to do it anyway?”

Dominic drew Miss Emerald closer.

“So you need tools.”

“So you go out into the Forest, and you gather its denizens. Baskets of mice, barrels of rats. You find a handful of coven wolves. That was a mistake. You find a bear. That was an even bigger mistake. Foxes and woodland coons, a few hart and the last of your horses.

“And you drown them in the wine of everlasting life.”

He took a breath and to the west, the sun sunk beneath the sea. It was the darkest twilight before night. It was as if the sun already knew the tale and She knew it was not one that should feel Her blessed warmth.

“You can break their bones, shatter their insides, tear and rip their flesh and if you are an equally legendary smith you can forge them into something else. They were critters, so what they felt was never in question. One does not ask a bar of iron if being between hammer and anvil hurts. Somewhere along the way, whatever souls small critters have were beaten out of them.

“One can only hope that was before they realized who they were and what was being done to them.

“The level of success is not high. But they didn’t care. They were tools. They could always make more.

“In the mines, they died in droves. But they didn’t care. They were tools. They could always make more.

“How do I know this?”

Finally, the Young Master’s voice softened. He took a step back, but his hands still rested on the Forest Kin’s shoulders.

As he spoke, Miss Em slowly reached up and drew down her hood.

“They caught me. Think about this — they caught... me.”

Dominic let those words sink in for a long moment.

“The only reason I got out is Emerald.”

The leather hood fell back over the small person’s shoulders. She shook out her hair. It was tied in a ponytail to help it stay hidden, but now free it fell most of the way down her back. It looked so soft and cascaded like silver colored silk. Her face was that of a lovely young woman, still and exquisitely sculpted, almost statue perfect. She had big round ears; they moved and twitched all on their own, and they were covered in the finest white down. They were not a person’s ears. They were gentler, actually adorable; they were the cute ears of a simple field mouse.

Which were matched, of course, by the long white whiskers beneath her button nose.

Dominic was right about one thing.

She had the prettiest gem green eyes.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

As the tale went on, Kadri listened raptly. But when the story reached the part of ... creation, it would be impossible for those who knew her to not see a sort of cold fury building under her exterior.

Her thoughts raged. How dare they. Of all things she despised, this was near the top. People, however small, as things.

By the time the tale had finished, however, she had recomposed herself and her voice was calm and steady.

"So, Emerald. You are not what you were you are what you are. You are what you choose to do. And in keeping you in this bondage? They have done the unforgivable. And that means that I shall have to misbehave. It is only a matter of figuring out the details."

She tilts her head

Pietro

The longer the tale continued, the colder and sadder the squire's expression became.

She was the executioner? No wonder... but that did not matter and he pushed it back to a far corner of his mind.

It was not her fault. It was done to her. She was used... created, then used, abused... looked down upon.

Ignored...

Discounted...

Considered expendable, replaceable. Useful, but insignificant.

But not to Pietro...

He heard Kadri's words and he agreed. He saw the... differences, oddities of Emerald's appearance which hinted at her heritage.

And it did not matter.

She is a cute mouse... but of course we would not speak it aloud.

Pietro approached Emerald, saluted her and went down on one knee to be more of a height with her and extended a hand for her to take if she would.

"With the help of Lord Rames, I will do what I can to achieve retribution, as much as is possible, for the wrongs done to your people."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Still hunkered down in front of Emerald, he listens as Dominic tells his tale, still much of it unspoken but enough detail to give it a frame at least. His etes never leave Mouse's.

"Emerald is a pretty name. There is much talk of retribution and actions.. but first I would hear what you want to see happen."

Lyric

Lyric had remained at a small distance from where Dommi and the 'Mouse' named Emerald spoke, thus gathering the others about them as he began a story of great import, deep sorrow, and undeniable grief. Mixed in were all the elements that lead to anguish and suffering such as greed and lust and everything else that is dragged in tow behind those base emotions and motivations.

But the story offered hope too.

She had nodded her head at Dommi's inclusion of her to tell him that she was listening. Most of her companions focused on Emerald as she stood in for the sympathetic focus of the tale. A denizen of the forest, warped and twisted, beaten into submission, broken, made, broken and remade again and again... to become a tool and named as a tool. Despite the task given her she was truly a sympathetic character in this tale and in person in this small village at the edge of a dark and dangerous domain.

But Lyric's attention was directed at the storyteller. She focused on the elements of the story and not just the emotion of it. Emotions made people listen and believe and sympathize... but underlying that, in the tale itself, were the true important things that made the story worth hearing, and worth telling, in the first place.

And so, with others occupied upon the character, Lyric slid forward with a light grace, her layered garments shifting about her as she approached Dommi. The minstrel's pale blue eyes searching Dommi's eyes as if she were staring into him, reading him, and she smiled. It was a slightly crooked smile though, hinting at a twinkle of mischief... or maybe a combining of the sage wisdom and the child-like whimsy to come.

"So, Why indeed is the home of the Bankerpool Empire an archipelago? And, what is the Forest's real name? Is it truly The Heartwood, for which the whole of the land carries it's name since it can no longer carry it itself and is left to be called Dirkwood? Also, this 'shattering' that the foreign Prince sought... what was that? Help me understand these things. I am a simple girl from a small village..."

The last of that was to remind him of how he liked to refer to his own origins... and what that should mean to him in terms he would understand.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

“Me?”

Miss Em looked surprised, her green eyes going wide as saucers for a heartbeat, first Cesare knelt before her and then a Squire. From behind her, Dominic merely quirked a brow and looked down at the almost matrimonial tableau before him. Emmi looked back to him, he nodded and then she placed flat incisors on her lower lip, pressing for a moment before speaking.

She also let Pietro take her small paw-like hand, though she wasn’t quite sure what it was for. She looked confused and only relaxed when Dominic piped in.

“It’s fine, Emmi. It’s a Squire thing. They do that. It’s their way of being polite. I tried that once or twice, but no one would believe I was a Squire.”

Reassured, only slowly did the little Forest Kin look back. She let her words lighten as she replied to Pietro first.

“Oh. But I’m just me. I’m not all of us. You should talk to Renyard, Lady, and Broke. They’ll appreciate for all of us. They take care of the folks at Home.”

Again, that word. Home. She spoke as if it were a particular title and not a generic place of comfort.

“Me? I’m fine, actually. I... well... I’m...”

The insides of her ears suddenly turned very, very pink.

“I was shown, completely, no question, forever and ever, that I have worth. It was a gift I could never have asked for and one that I will never forget. It didn’t matter if I had a soul or not. I found out what it meant to have someone care for me.

“And once you find that out, there’s no going back.”

Closing her eyes again, Emmi took a breath before reopening them to answer the Rhoni.

“Those in the mines. They need to know that too. That they have worth. That they can know care, to know there is nothing to be afraid for because they are not alone.

“It would be nice... if they could find their way to Home.”

She leaned back against the young Korie. Dominic just smiled, taking his turn to speak.

“That Rhoni lass, she has a good idea about how I feel, I bet. And I think she’d agree, this is not a matter of retribution. It’s about helping folks. They may have done the unforgivable, Dama Kadri, but that is not my concern — vengeance is a dish best served by someone else. I’d hate to wake up one day, walk down to the commons room and find everybody I’ve annoyed waiting there to get back at to me. Sure, Barris Ironhand isn’t fast enough to catch me, but — as she proves every Midwinters — Dandelion Koromov is.”

He then turned to answer the minstrel.

“Some simple girl! You are the dangerous one, winsome Lyric! You listen! Comes from coming from a village so small you can’t afford to lose a single word, ja? And yes...”

Dominic looked to the north, to the line of black that was the nighttime treeline.

“In the beginning, there was the Forest...

“That wood has only been called the Dirkwood since the end of the Second Age. Before that it was known as The Heartwood, the last stand of the World Forest, the only fragment that survived the Shattering. Something happened at the end of the Second Age, and it was turned into what it is today.

“If you ever want an example of how vengeance can go wrong, it is only a stone’s throw away.”

He then bit his lip and crossed his arms.

“Something made the Dirkwood the way it is. Imagine the power of whatever it was that could curse the World Forest. Imagine being a Prince that would be the one who acquired that which shattered the last of the Heartwood.

“What it is, I do not know. But this I do.

“There are few things more seductive to a man in power than more power.”

The rogue’s nose then wrinkled.

“As for your first question?

“Remember when I said that the miners were reckless? When I spoke of the most dangerous task that you could imagine, and beyond that?

“What if the Opal Archipelago was, at one time, not an archipelago?”

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

So that must be where he had gone wrong.. no power in the first place.. but he had never wanted any.. still didn't. With power comes responsibility, enmity, avarice.. and in the end the Fates deliver their own justice. What you make comes around and clocks you on the back of the head.

He smiles at Emerald.

"Rescue your friends, make them feel good about themselves and bring them Home."

He nods.

"An admiral goal and one I will do my best to achieve. Renyard, Lady and Broke.. they are your people too?"

This would explain much. He wishes Mikal had stayed to hear this.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Your freedom would be perfectly adequate mischief."

When the archipelago was not what it is, what was it?"

Pietro

His smile was small but warm as he took Emerald's paw-like hand in his own and gave it a light squeeze. After a moment, he released it, nodding pleasantly.

"He is quite correct, Emerald. It is my way of trying to be polite. I am not always successful in my efforts in that direction."

Pietro cocked his head to one side and thought about her reply.

"Then could you arrange for me to meet Renyard, Lady and Broke?"

The squire's eyes widened in surprise when Dominic mentioned Captain Dandelion, but he said nothing, just listened closely to the statements of the others.

"Yes... if it were not an archipelago, then what was it? A peninsula?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

“But I am free...”

Emerald blinked once, her head tilting as she listened to Kadri’s statement.

“I mean, My Lord is my Owner, but that’s because being his means I can go anywhere in Talantal and no one can hurt me. Or shouldn’t try and hurt me out of hand just because I’m me. But I am free. A free range Mouse.

“The ones in the mines, and the ones in the forges, and the ones they capture in the nets, they are the ones you should worry about, not me.”

Cesare’s question came next. She shifted on her feet, her nose and whiskers twitching. Looking once over her shoulder to Dominic, seeking a touch of reassurance. He nodded once and then she spoke.

“Renyard is one of the oldest, and he teaches. Lady built Home and makes sure Home is welcome and warm. Broke guards the Forest Kin and this place, like I guard My Lord. Well, not exactly the same way I do; she isn’t a Mouse, after all. You should ask the other Mouse; I didn’t spend much time in Home. The one I remember best was Soft. She teaches us rescued ones how to live without fear... which is very important because Broke and Wrath are very scary if you don’t understand that Broke will do anything to make sure we are safe.

“It’s a good thing she and My Lord are best friends, or she would have never let me leave with him. Not that anyone can stop a Mouse when we learn we truly can go anywhere we want.

“As for meeting them...”

Emerald looked to Dominic again. The young Korie Lord took up the conversation.

“The only time you can guarantee seeing them come here is on Marketday; that’s part of the arrangement I made with the folks here. They allow the Forest Folk to trade that one day and the other four they stay away. Between Emmi and the other lill’un, we could summon them here. And if I needed, I can get to Home, but the Forest would eat the rest of you.”

The Korie Lord rubbed his chin.

“We are going to need a coracle. Maybe two. Or three. Or four. A fleet!”

He peered to the Squire.

“Have you ever been an Admiral before? Nin? Congratulations!”

He then looked back to the others.

“You know what an archipelago is, ja? Think. Take a big rock. One big island. Smash it. Lots of little islands.”

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods and smiles to Emerald, encouraging her and happy that she can now steak for herself with more confidence. Impulsively he leans forward and gives her a peck on the cheek.

He has been listening to Lord Dominic but has learned in the past that it is best not to converse with nobles if it can be avoided. Let the waves of Fate wash around them, path of least resistence.. but this one and his bother seem to be cut from a different weave. He does however realise that awesome power has been used in the past.. but it is not the first time he has come across such.

He straightens, standing tall and looks at the Lord for a moment.

"You sound like you have a plan. I would like to hear it and understand the dangers.. and I would guess I am not alone. I am however committed to help.. whatever you tell us."

Pietro

The squire smiled at Emerald and released her small, rather furry hand, but the smile faded, eroded into a frown of thought as Dominic speaks.

"An admiral?" Pietro rolled his eyes.

"Not even a sailor. But a coracle? Is that not a small, round boat?"

Pietro shook his head.

"Are there no other, larger boats available?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"I am there, of course ..."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

“...squeeeeaaaAAAACK!”

Deep green eyes went suddenly wide and just as fast as that impetuous embrace was made Miss Emmi was standing behind Dominic, peeking back around at the Rhoni lad.

“Hey!”

The first bark from Dominic was sudden and quick, both surprisingly fast and protective.

“No startling my... no startling my... bodyguard!”

Dominic’s cloak wrapped back around the little Forest Folk as the Korie lord shook his head.

“It’s okay, Emmi... that’s something Rhoni lads do... it’s mostly harmless. Mostly. Right, Mister Cesare? Besides, from what you’ve told me, if he meant anything of it, Kathi would be sad, and we know he’d never make Kathi sad, right?”

From behind Dominic Miss Em nodded, adding a very quiet reply herself.

“Apologies. Sometimes I spook easily. I am my duties; it’s an important thing to be.”

Dominic’s shoulders shrugged, and he returned his attention to the three companions. On the one hand, Dominic was a Korie Lord. On the other hand, once he had his say, long winded or short, he returned to his easy going nature — relaxed once more, like any bloke you’d meet in a bar. At the last comment, however, he looked back to Cesare with an expression of absolute shock.

“Plan? Plan! Plan? Plan? You wound me, sir! Accusing me of having a... a... Plan? Oh, nonononono! That would mean I’d be taking on a responsibility! I’m deathly allergic to responsibility, and if I had a plan I’d be coughing all the way into the Forest, and I’d blow up like a blueberry, and the bears would eat me!

“Please, Cesare...”

Dominic fell to his knees and pleaded with the Rhoni lad.

“Please, please, do not sentence me to being eaten by bears.”

Behind him, Miss Emmi just closed her eyes and shook her head. She let out a long, experienced sigh... but was smiling again. Without missing a beat, however, Dominic continued.

“The only boats are back in Talesan’s and they mostly... well, fine. They stink of fish. Ew. A coracle, however, Pietro, is an interesting craft. You can make one out of oilcloth, leather, and grass. Notice what’s not said? What’s not said is always so crucial. You don’t need wood like you do for a boat, and that’s important when the nearby trees don’t take kindly to being cut down.”

He leaned back a bit, changing from a kneeling position to merely sitting on the ground.

“We need to get into a fortress in the middle of a lake. On the one hand, the folks we are up against aren’t the most imaginative in the world, except when it comes to making things. That’s a good thing. On the other hand, they aren’t the most imaginative in the world, except when it comes to making things. That’s a bad thing.

“Assaulting the castle isn’t an option. We are going to have to be clever. But I don’t think knocking on the door to deliver a load of wood carvings is going to work either.”

He glanced over to Kadri.

“This should be our kind of task. Just remember, the more She laughs, the better chances we have.”

He then turned his attention to Lyric.

“Small Village. Big Fortress. Dark secrets. The type that probably can’t be sung about when we are all set and done. That fine for you, minstrel lass?”

Looking up, Dominic also made a decision.

“It’s also late. And this is a matter best discussed when one is awake and not sleepy. Me... I’m going to find a place to rest my head and dream of breakfast. Breakfast is good.

“It means bears didn’t eat you when you were sleeping.”

Standing, he stretched and looked about.

“Nice thing about being from a small village? Since there was never enough room for a bed, you get used to sleeping beneath the stars.”

Hasday, the Seventh Day of Yrick

The next morning was a clear and warm — the perfect harvest day. The farmers were, of course, up with the dawn, doing their morning chores and such. For the others, mostly, they followed Dominic’s choice — if the Noble Lord felt it was proper to sleep outside and not bother the villagers, that was probably the wise thing to do.

It was not as if, for any of them, sleeping beneath the night sky was a strange thing.

Come morning, Dominic and Miss Em were easily found.

They had found a small outcropping and were sitting back to back, nibbling at bread and cheese.

It was day one of Lady Yurisdotter's Quest.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

As he has been sleeping outdoors since that first night of snores in the tower, he too wakes early with the light. Last night he had finished helping the farmer before heading for his outdoor bed and falling asleep though he had strange dreams before waking, swimming underwater trying to find an entrance to an island fortress.

So his head is not entirely clear when he joins the others.

"Morning."

He sits down and pulls out an apple from his pocket.

Pietro

After tending to Djinni, the squire completed his evening devotions, praying that a plan for their upcoming task would occur to him or to some one of those sharing his upcoming adversities. He realized that he could probably rely on Dominic for assistance - possibly considerable assistance - but not for anything in the way of tactical or strategic planning.

As he drifted off to sleep under the stars, he found himself thinking of a Korie as, unbelievable as it might have seemed to him before he'd met this youngest of the Korie lords... well, silly.

Well, laughter can be a good thing... not always, but at least occasionally.

The following morning, after a quick prayer to Lord Rames and checking in on Djinni, making sure his steed was properly brushed and fed, it occurred to him that a horse could not be easily transported on a small boat - especially not a coracle.

This did not please him.

He took a hunk of bread, a bit of cheese and one of the last of his apples from his saddlebags and joined the others.

"Where would one find adequate water for... washing," he asked Cesare.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Early in he morning, kadri was caring for Lisica.

Talking more to herself than to anyone else - even if the sound was aimed at her horse - she thought out loud.

"So how does one arrange the great chase with a target you do not know?"

She needed to know things. How did they get food? When did people come in, come out? How closely were they checked?

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 14/11/16 13:06 UTC.
Bekkah

She exited the Mill with Keiko in tow. She stopped for a moment as Her light hit her face. She smiled upward, saying a quick prayer to her Goddess.

She opened her eyes and looked down, seeing others below.

"There. I believe that is my friend." she said pointing.

She continued downward, towards Cesare. As she got closer, she recognized that the other was Dominic.

"A good morning to you all. Dominic, I didn't expect to see you this morning. Quite a pleasant surprise."

She then turned to Cesare.

"Cesare kha'Jasmine kha'Sayako kha'Twilight khal'Horosha Danika my friend, please meet a new friend, Keiko kha'Chiyo kha'Masuyo kha'Tsukiko kha'Chouko khal'Nakano Hoshiko.

"Keiko, I met Cesare traveling with my sister and he has been as loyal and honest as any life long friend I've ever had."

"Cesare, Keiko is as responsible for yesterday's display as anyone. It was her guidance that led me to the Forest Folk. Her love and respect for them, helped open my eyes." She did not mention Keiko's card reading ability since she that didn't seem to be hers to reveal.

Last edited by Nivek; Mon 14/11/16 14:08 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He had just bitten into his apple as he nodded a good morning to Pietro and had to do some quick chewing and swallowing before he can answer.

"You need to go up beyond the farm in that direction to find a spot. It is not that deep but adequate. Elsewhere there are these walking fish which I'm told can be dangerous. Took me a while to find a place."

He grins.. and then turns as he hears Bekkah.. a smile on his face which fades as she starts introductions to Keiko. He is not sure the Rhoni girl wants this but then it is likely they will be working together in future.

"I seem to have upset you the other day. I do not know why but it was not intended."

He meets her eyes, his words at least honest but he half expects another rebuff. However he stands straight and steady, though facing sharks might have been easier.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Because of the backward way of making the introduction — and why should Lady Bekkah be expected to remember something so insignificant in her world, especially after the great miracle she performed yesterday? — Keiko was thrown off balance, and her eyes widened.

Khal’Horosha? THAT lost Family??

Is this what it feels like to be without the currents?

Fortunately, the feeling was transient... perhaps because she could feel Tomomi pressed against her side, her Mouse friend’s hand was real and delicate in her own. Unfortunately, it was a strange sort of current she found herself in.

“I...” She forced herself to meet his eyes. Now that they were known to one another to do otherwise would be rude.

“I understand. You are one of the Lost Ones and are not aware of the traditions of our people.

“I did not know you were of the Horosha Family then, and so your directness and...” Keiko paused, considering her words and the waves, and decided on honesty. “...and perceived impertinence could only have been received, at that time, as rudeness. But I now know you could not have meant it as rudeness for you have been Lost for quite some time.”

She shrugged slightly. She accepted what was, despite it being a very disturbing thing. “Sayako and Twilight are several generations removed from Jasmine. If anything is known of the women between Sayako and Jasmine, these are not stories I was told.”

She looked away for a moment toward the east. It was now more apparent than ever that many tales were kept hidden from the Caravans, held only in the hearts and memories of the most senior of the Elders. Keiko was beginning to understand now just what it meant to live as one of those tales. Surely someday she would be reunited with her Family and Caravan.

No, nothing was sure but the World upon which they walked and the currents that they rode. Such was the way of the Rhoni.

Except... except for this particular Rhoni, one other thing was as sure as the World and the waves.

She returned her gaze to Cesare, her violet eyes bright.

“Since introductions are a crucial social convention...” Keiko wrapped her arm around Tomomi’s shoulders. “This is my friend, Tomomi ‘al’dhashyah’lahknash’khaharenah’lokhee’sheeshalee’ al’khevreenah’tahkash’rahkavash. I am honored to have given her this name, which means ‘beautiful friend and wonderful person who is brave and clever and intelligent, who wears sleeves of delicate lace.”

She looked at her forever friend. “Tomomi, this is Cesare kha’Jasmine kha’Sayako kha’Twilight khal’Horosha Danika who is a very, very distant kinsman... for all Rhoni are kinsmen. He is the son of Jasmine from the Family founded by Danika Horosha. Our names are important stories for the Rhoni. But of greater importance to all, he is a friend of Lady Bekkah.”

Glancing over at the Young Master and then back up at Cesare, she shrugged again. “I have spent much time in the East and speak that language, and so Tomomi’s name is crafted from that tradition. The Young Master has advised me to refrain from speaking it.”

She looked around again, puzzled. She could see the line of horses — that surely must have been the Young Master’s doing — but noted that two of the horses were missing.

“Has Mikal D’Allyne left your company? I had hoped to have a conversation with him.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Pietro

The squire nodded his thanks and started to speak but, before he could, the healing Lady of Attera approached with Keiko and another of the little people.

Pietro stood as the ladies approached and began talking with Cesare.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He feels as though someone has hit him in the solar plexus. So much to take in, so many questions buzzing through his head. He had not expected that. And her last question causes him to swing around to wards the stable to look for Mikal's horse and it is not there. He takes a moment to gather himself, feeling very off balance, seems the winds of Fate have just kicked him.

"Thank you for accepting my apology. You are right in that I am ignorant of many of our traditions. I was taught many but obviously not all of them."

He forces a smile then the smile broadens as she introduces her friend, another like Emerald.

"Please to meet you Tomomi."

Turning back to Keiko he answers her last question.

"I am not aware of Mikal leaving but his horse is not here."

He frowns, trying to work out what may have happened. Then he cannot help himself but to ask a question himself.

"It sounds like you know something of my family, maybe more than I do. I would appreciate knowing more.. there is too much I do not know."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She looks over at Pietro and smiles, sadly.

"Too many friends disappear. It is worse when the friends are more or less family.'

Lyric of Kethy's Woods

Somewhere in the night or the earliest of morning Lyric had bathed and changed her clothing. She now wore a peach tunic similar in style and weight and layering as her previous dress. Maybe these were merely the under-tunics of a more complete outfit. This was Yrick and morning temperatures were cooler than the weight for which these garments seemed suited on first appearance. Of course she did have her heavier tartan cloak draped over her shoulders to stave off the chill air and damp morning condensations.

But she hadn't joined the slowly gathering group. She had not slept nearby either. She had kept to herself that night and retreated some place quiet and isolated.

Come morning, and the first hints of She bringing a corona of illumination on the Eastern Horizon, a shadow atop a boulder in the darkness of night becoming day could be discerned to be less boulder and more tartan cloak. How long she had been there in place some distance away could not be deciphered with a glance or a notice. She was silent and unmoving, the drape of the cloak blending her into the natural lines of the rock. With each passing minute, the dark became grey and the grey became more resolved in the colors of She's realm.

Lyric faced the direction of the largest road leading away from the Rock and the village, as if she had been watching for something or someone... or watching after the same as it left.

Many thoughts occupied the woman's mind and sorting them all out required the peace and quiet she had found on this large boulder.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Nodding toward the horses, Keiko said, “A man with two horses does not leave a place with both unless he does not intend to return soon.”

The coming and going of people was something familiar, something expected in the life of a Rhoni. Sometimes the partings were easy and sometimes they were difficult, sometimes they were joyful and sometimes they were bittersweet. But it was a thing that always happened.

“I can only say what I know... and of your Family, little is known. Perhaps the elders know tales of the missing generations, but I am certainly no elder,” she said with a chuckle. But she sobered then, knowing that she would never want one to make light of news that came to her about her own Family.

“What is commonly known of your parents is that they were friends of the One Who Married a Gaija and the Imperial Who Married a Rhoni And Lost All He Had. All but one have died, and even the fate of Madoka kha'Ayanna kha'Kame kha'Chikato khal'Homura Akemi Koromov is uncertain. Although...”

Keiko had to turn away, to take some scant comfort in the Forest’s darkness.

“It might be best to hope she is at peace with Krysta,” the young Rhoni woman said softly. “Death is a better alternative than the hospitality of the Eastern Princes.” She seemed to shudder... and perhaps she did. After a moment, she took a deep breath and looked at Cesare again.

“It is said that the one for whom our kinswoman risked her life and soul still lives and is safe. To have confirmation that al’Lhahrhonsha’ khahnyakhleenyash’ mahlshahdah is protected from al’Lhahrhonsha’ khahnyash’ velikii’makhloshee...” Keiko’s brows furrowed before she shook her head. “Sorry. In Colonial... knowing that the young Lhahrhonsha princess is safe from the great and mighty...” Her voice dripped with disdain; she couldn’t help it. “...prince of the royal family Lhahrhonsha would give comfort.”

Keiko drew her cloak tighter around herself with one hand; the other remained on Tomomi’s shoulder.

“Much has been sacrificed by many for Rhomanishkah’al’lhahrhonsha. To know she is far from her father’s grasp would help ease a heart burdened by some of that sacrifice.” The slight young woman smiled sadly. “I freely chose to walk the World when asked, find new currents, and to ride waves that took me far from Family and Caravan. Although I would freely choose the same wave again, knowing the princess is safe would bring some gladness to my heart.”

Pietro

The squire's eyes widened and he looked from Kadri to the horses - now fewer by two - and then to Cesare.

"He seemed like a good man," Pietro said slowly, a confused expression on his face.

"Had he said anything about leaving?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

His eyes are intent on Keiko's as he drinks in every word.. then he laughs.

"The princess is not only safe and well but is Bekkah's apprentice. She is remarkable."

He nods slowly, many memories of Romana clamouring for attention. He smiles fondly.

"From what little I remember and what I have learned, I believe my father took her as a child to keep her from harm. My mother took me and my Aunt & Uncle in a different direction and I spent a good part of my life hiding.. and waiting for his return. Then my mother died, broken-hearted. Before then she made me promise to find him. I do not know still if he is alive or where he might be found. You are the first Rhoni that I have talked to since my mother died. I don't feel quite as alone today."

That there are others there, that he is open about his feelings and his personal history before them, seems not to matter, not just now.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Keiko smiled and seemed to relax. Let the Eastern Princes turn their stomachs sour with rage. The Families and Caravans might be scattering to the farthest corners of the High Tarn, she herself might be walking the World for a long time before they gathered again, but knowing that Rhomanishkah’ al’Lhahrhonsha was safe made the journey easier to bear.

But she shook her head as Cesare spoke. She had no desire to cause him more grief than he already felt about his family, but the truth...

Grandmother had always said that the Truth was like a precious gem. At times, it must be hidden. At times, it should be displayed. But knowing which current held the Truth and which wave to ride with it was an art. True, she had learned that art, for it was a necessary thing when she read the Cards for the Gaija. But Grandmother had also said that Truth should be given to Kinsmen when it is first known. Hiding the Truth from another Rhoni was a sure way to create enmity.

“Cesare, you must hear my words.

“Thomas of the Imperial Family Koromov and Madoka of the Homura Family... Yoska of the Masakta Family and Jasmine of the Horosha Family... they were the best of friends. What you remember is the first attempt to free the princess. The children of Thomas and Madoka were sent away. Perhaps their parents did not mean for them to wind up in Trundle’s Alley, but there they were. The eldest became cold and is now the Justice of Trundle. The younger became a warrior, following She Who Lights the World. Neither knew there would be a third child.”

She paused, looking away again. Keiko noted the activity around them, was vaguely aware of other conversations, even saw Lyric perched on her large rock.

“Think,” she said softly and kindly. “Would Madoka have sent away her remaining daughter if there had been any other wave for her to ride? Would she have needed to make another attempt to free Rhomanishkah if your father had succeeded?

“I am truly sorry, Cesare.” She looked back up at him, knowing that she must be the face of all Rhoni now — one who knows that death is just a part of life and that, of all the partings a Rhoni experiences in life, death is the only parting that one can be sure is final in this World.

“I would beseech the Ancestors for answers if I thought they could answer. I would ask my Cards for you if I didn’t know they would call me foolish. I would only hope that when the Great Prince’s men found his daughter, your father’s death was swift and merciful.”

She held his gaze and would not flinch. She knew all too well the malevolence of the Princes of the East; she doubted that this man’s father had died quickly enough. But that was a Truth even Grandmother would advise her to keep tucked away.

“It is no comfort to know your search has reached an end that is hard to hear, yet knowing the search has ended is a comfort. What is always comes with what is not. But in your sorrow, you might take comfort knowing that their souls are once more together.”

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He stands and he listens, listens as he feel the hope die. He had never really known his father, not known the kind of man he was, nor come to love him in the way his mother obviously had. But somehow he had inherited her feelings, her dreams and it is a surprise as he feels tears in the corners of his eyes.

But he has at least fulfilled his promise though likely she had found the truth before he did. Sorrow yes.. but a kind of peace too. It did mean that he hadn't deserted them. He would have come to find them if he could.

There were implications in the ending of that storyline that he doesn't want to think too deeply about right now.. and he can see that reflected in Keiko's eyes. He just holds tight to the thought that Romana is safe and free to fulfil her destiny. He feels sure it will be a great one.

He takes a long deep breath.

"Thank you Keiko. It is better to know than to hold false hope. I appreciate your honesty, it could not have been an easy thing to say."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

As she watched his inner struggle in the set of his shoulders and the suggestion of emotions on his face, Keiko felt relief that those who had raised him gave Cesare enough grounding in Rhoni tradition to understand the fundamental belief on which they all stood — all things in life are transient. She could teach him the simple things, the day to day ways in which the Rhoni were unlike the Gaija. She never could have taught him what it meant to be Rhoni.

And yet, there were still likely to be things he did not know that she could not teach... simply because she was not an elder.

Her hand had slipped from Tomomi’s shoulder, and both hands were now clasped loosely at her waist. It was her choice to make — which current, which wave, which path?

Kindness, Grandfather had said, whenever possible, choose kindness.

And so Keiko inclined her head to acknowledge his thanks. “We strive to balance all things in our lives as we ride the waves, kinsman. I live with the knowledge that speaking this difficult truth is less of a hardship for me that it is for you to hear it. But knowing that you might find peace in the truth eases even that hardship.

“It is now for you to decide which path to take as you allow peace to be with you.”

The young woman glanced away again, this time in Lyric’s direction.

“If you will excuse me now, I would see how my friend Lyric fares.”

Nodding to Cesare and taking Tomomi’s hand again, she made her way across the bit of field to Lyric’s boulder. Keiko regarded the other young woman for a few heartbeats before speaking.

“Friend Lyric, you hold yourself apart and seem pensive this morning. What troubles you?”

Her violet eyes seemed darker in this early morning light; perhaps their color was a reflection of her mood or perhaps just a trick She played with Her light upon the World. In either case, Keiko stood patiently — it almost appeared that she kept a vigil with Lyric. Or for Lyric.

Lyric

If the minstrel had heard her friend Keiko and Tomomi approaching she offered no reaction. She continued to stare across the field in the direction where the mercenary man and his friend horses had gone from her sight. Lyric did not turn to regard Keiko and Tomomi until the Rhoni woman spoke her name and then it was the greeting a warm eyes and a broad smile. Lyric slide from the smooth rock's perch to feet next to the pair.

"There are many things I find confusing. Different from where I come. If a folk leaves with all his possessions and those of his four footed friend companions, but does not offer his farewells... Since those two things seem at cross purpose, is he really leaving?"

Lyric shrugged. It sounded rhetorical though so maybe it was just a thought she pondered.

Her pale blue eyes seemed even more so in the grey of the morning.

"I am well. I have been up and I am bathed and refreshed with clean garments to wear... Another day where She appears ready to favor us with her light. What troubles could I possibly have?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Although Lyric’s question may have been rhetorical, it was something not the least bit unusual in the Rhoni’s experience.

“That is often the way Rhoni come and go... by merely doing so. There are times when farewells are given. There are times when they are not.” Keiko smiled at her friend. “For us, there are no purposes to cross. One is gone when they are gone; one is here when they are here.

“And there is always the possibility for another meeting at another time and place.”

It did not seem necessary to point out the opposite of future meetings was the possibility of future leavings... except, of course, if one had befriended a Mouse. For Keiko, that was the anomaly — to know that a leaving would always end with a returning. It was strange and it ran counter to the teachings of the Ancestors. But it was still a very nice thing.

“With no troubles of our own, then, perhaps we might find a way to help the others,” she said, gesturing to the various folks gathered nearby.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods as Keiko speaks her words of wisdom. He has a lot to think about, to consider where his steps may take him in the future. But at least he has a promise to fulfil and that gives him an anchor, a direction for now. He is glad of that. It gives him time to consider.

It is best now that he gives his focus to the question of Mikal and to the quest that lies ahead. He also remembers that Pietro had said something to him earlier and that he had mentally pushed that aside in the light of Keiko's revelations.

"I'm sorry Pietro, you asked me something before. I was a little distracted."

It may be an understatement but moving on now is what he needs.

Lyric

Lyric's eyes followed that gesture and she smiled, but she gave no indication she was quite ready to move from the realm of the rock she had chosen as a morning perch. Although now she stood by it's side and she seemed content to remain a little longer. All things happened when they were to happen.

"What I mean to say, is that while I have none... I sense you do, and have from the time I met you along the 'old path, beside the darkened woods, around the bend, back to the east'. I sensed it again in you when you were reading your cards. There is something that troubles you. Even more than the weight of the great and dangerous task before us now as we quest to help the Mouses and their friends and families."

Lyric paused in consideration of her own words, her brow knitted together and then she canted her head slightly to her left and smiled as she shrugged at whatever notion occurred to her just then. She returned her attention to Keiko.

"Perhaps 'trouble' is not the right word. Forgive me that. As one who must ply her trade on her journey using words, mine may have been indelicate. I sense you have a concern and that when I saw you read the cards, I felt you had seen something yet again in them. Share with me this?"

Pietro

Doing his best to remain patient, the squire nodded and smiled rather tightly as Cesare turned back to him and his question.

"I asked if Mikal had said anything about leaving? I would seem odd to me for a Jvrillian, under contract, would leave unless something urgent intervened."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He shakes his head.

"He didn't say anything to me. Kadri did he talk to you before leaving?"

The taking of both horses seems to imply an intent but he doesn't understand what was so urgent or important that he didn't talk to one of them.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"He did not violate his contract. I modified its terms and gave him ... leave to do as he needed to fulfill his conscience and honor. He is a good man. And I would hear no more talk of it - please. What is done, is done."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Keiko chuckled. “Your words were not indelicate, Lyric. I am used to plain and direct words from my Family. But troubled?”

She paused to consider the idea and found herself more interested in observing Lyric’s mannerisms — just different enough for someone who enjoyed both observing and interacting with people to notice that there was a difference. Finally, though, she shook her head.

“I think concerned might be a better work. Or maybe worried?” She pursed her lips and shook her head again. “Beshayah’sha. It could translate either way from Eastern.

“But I am not sure there is something to worry over. I do have concerns regarding how best to help the Forest Kin who are still held captive by the Dwarves. And the Cards spoke of someone, a group of someones who are making plans of ill intent.”

Keiko paused again, this time with a furrowed brow.

“It may be possible, despite my best efforts at asking a well-worded question, that the two are not related.”

She looked at the road that led from this tiny hamlet out to the High Tarn and eventually to the Big Village.

“Perhaps the Cards were giving me a message for Mikal D’Allyne, for I have been concerned about his dislike of Broke.”

Turning back to the minstrel, Keiko could only shrug.

“If he is not here to receive the message, then I can only wish him well in my thoughts and hope that his path is one on which he finds what he seeks.”

Lyric

"Things change Friend Keiko. They must, or else the world would die. I do not know what forces or magics enable you to do what you do, but that does not matter either. It is enough that you do possess the talent, or the Gift to see things as you do. But if your message was for the Jvrillian then would not the cards have been able to show you he would never receive the message? I do not question them, but think there is more to the interpretation and the True Focus. Tell me more of these 'Makers of Ill Intent'... Were the cards so specific that you see it thus?"

She tipped her head apologetically, "Please take no offense. I ask questions because I do not know and I wish to understand. If I am to be a voice of counsel as seems I have been to some already, then you helping me understand might enable us both to better grasp what trouble or worry looms ahead."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She listened to Lyric without interrupting. In a way — as strange it sounded within her own mind — Lyric was speaking in a way that Great-Aunt Mitsuko often did, forcing Keiko to think about the messages of the Cards and the various ways they could be interpreted. And so the young Card Reader did just that — she thought about each of the three cards that related to the second question she had asked during the Reading.

“I do not take offense when one comes with sincere questions and seeks deeper answers, Friend Lyric. Those are often the best questions to consider. And your reason for asking is sound.”

It had been a simple and selfless question that had led Keiko and Bekkah from the Marketday gathering to the Forest Kin Home.

How can I help?

From there to here, it was all grounded in that simple question. Keiko nodded slightly to herself.

“Change is the one true constant in the culture of the Rhoni. We speak of the World’s currents and of riding the waves. Rivers flow and the seas shift with the tides. The Ancestors said You cannot step in the same river twice. Most will understand this to mean that the river has flowed within its banks, or perhaps overflowed then. This water is not the same as the water that flowed by yesterday. But there is a deeper meaning to most things attributed to the Ancestors. Yesterday, I watched the river flow. Today, I watch the river flow. I am not the same as I was yesterday and I will be different again tomorrow.

“And now you might wonder how this could relate to your question about the Cards.

“All things change. No two things are exactly alike. How I interpret the interrelationship between the three Cards that address an issue may not be the same as another Reader would interpret them. And because I have changed, it is possible I might see a slightly different interpretation on a different day. In reading the Cards, I can only say, ‘These are all the things I see.’ I do not have the skill to see the Patterns of the World; I cannot put these things together in a way that a Pattern Reader might and say, ‘These are the things we might do.’ There are few Pattern Readers in the world, and they are all Allaines or their cousins.” Keiko shrugged. “This is what I have been taught.

“So there is nothing so precise I can say except that three reversed Cards do not bode well. The things I see will often be hardships and ill omens. Or the Makers of Ill Intent, as you said. If the message was for the Jvrillian, the Cards would not say so directly. And usually not indirectly either. Perhaps that is the role of the Pattern Reader... to say who should receive the message when is it not clear to me.

“If it is a message for him, then I am sincere in wishing him well. Even without the warning of the Cards, it is likely he can prevail against the darker forces. Dama Kadri spoke of him as one who has a sense of honor, which would be a shield against such forces.”

She looked over at the remainder of the group for a moment and then sighed deeply before looking once more at Lyric.

“If the Cards were speaking to me — and through me, to the entire group — it is still a message of sinister plans being made. Of important things hidden deeply away, things that are evil. The presence of something preventing plans from being completed.

“But this is Truth no matter the intended recipient of the message — the final Card very strongly suggests that a stand must be taken against the evil, against the forces that hide.

“I can make guesses, Friend Lyric, about what the Cards might point to based on my interpretations but that is all it will be — guesses.”

Keiko shook her head and smiled wanly. “It is much simpler to spend Festival Days telling young men that some young women fancy them.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

This is not a good day. Today he has lost a father and a good friend. But he knows that nothing lasts for ever. This is the way of the world. And sometimes folk just slip away quietly. His mother slipped away from life, both his Aunt and Uncle left at different times but at times right for them.

"Then I would wish him well.. and hope to meet him again one day."

He has some comfort in that a piece of himself crafted in the shape of a dagger goes with Mikal. There is still a connection between them.

Lyric

Lyric wondered many things, sometimes she wondered them all at once. That was often a little chaotic but such was the way of things for her. But listening to Friend Keiko did not give her pause to wonder, but rather listen. That was the purpose of her inquiry, so that she might listen. Better yet, the purpose was to give keiko time to reflect in the spaces between her own words. Words were Lyrics trade and craft... And they came from her heart, given through her voice. Her voice was her Gift.

"I am certain that it is much simpler, these readings on 'Festival Days'. These are performances though, not the 'True Heart' of your Gift. Much like when I might shift around an open market and entertain those who come to trade, or among the laborers whose toils weary them before the tasks are done or sit before a gathered audience in the evening after their day's work is done and entertain them so they might find comfort, peace, and a relaxation of their heart and spirit and body. These are performances. They are an extension of the Gift itself. Easier yes, very True. They do not carry the weight of a world with them. The nature of a Gift is such that it always comes with a responsibility and that carries a burden."

Lyric was not finished though.

"Why is it that birds do what they do when they senses the change in the seasons. Perhaps it is what they have always done. They know these things because they do these things. It is a part of them and so their is an order in their ever changing lives. They read Patterns, friend Keiko."

Lyric gaze was settled firmly on her friend, eyes meeting eyes, those bright reflective purple and the dull pale blue.

"You sell yourself short of your true worth. Perhaps these Allaines do what they do because they have always done it. And maybe they told others this is what they do. While you have been told that you do something else. You do not know if you can do something until you try, and try, and try. Patterns can not be seen in one try. Patterns are things that one must observe by looking at the same thing every day for many many days."

"You might not step in the same water twice, very true. Everything changes. But if you stand in that water and look at the things that are also touched by the water that is ever changing, and you do this day after day, then you just might see how those things are changing because they too can not touch the same water twice."

"You say you asked a question and that question had a point and purpose and that the cards revealed things for you to interpret. perhaps These Allaines ask questions with less focus on things in the Now and look to the What Will Be and ask the same question and again and again... so they can see how Time that can not be touched twice affects the things that are changed by the touching."

"You have read your cards several times since you came here, this I sense. For you came here to see something different. You are not among your kind, but on a journey of self. You would seek this guidance, of this I have no doubt. In it's own way, these are the readings that offer you a chance to glimpse this sense of Pattern. What can be gleaned from looking at all those readings together?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She was silent for long heartbeats after Lyric finished speaking. Her friend had a way of looking at What Was and shining Her light on it in a different way. And yet, for all the different ways Keiko could look at Possibilities and Patterns, one thing was still true... would always be true.

What Must Be always creates a matching and opposite This Is Not.

“It is a simpler thing when one looks at a coin, Friend Lyric, to see that Card Readers and Pattern Readers are like the two sides of one coin. Both necessary, yet opposite.”

As she closed her eyes, thinking back on the readings she had done in the time since arriving, she realized there had been fewer than she might normally have done. On her journey along the Path, she had read the Cards often. But since arriving here and discovering that the one who now had a name of Tomomi could find beautiful and rare pigments, Keiko had spent considerable time refreshing the colors on her Cards.

Still, there had been messages often repeated.

“The most significant thing I have learned since leaving my Family’s Caravan is that the currents will not always take me where I believe I am going. That expecting the unexpected should be expected. It is interesting that the Cards reminded me so often of a thing I know to be true.

“However, since arriving at Waverider’s Watch, the Readings have been more...” She tilted her head slightly and one could see her eyes moving behind the closed lids, as though she was looking for something. “...conversational? Like greeting friends and having a conversation. Most often they reminded me that there remained the influence of chaotic forces and that these forces were likely beneficial. Taken as a whole, perhaps as though telling a story, the message was that of a multitude of possibilities... and that this type of situation often leads to indecision. There was the possibility of currents beginning and ending, the possibility of plans being made and coming to fruition.”

Keiko again stood in silence, eyes closed, watching currents and waves. How much could she share with her friend Lyric? Some of it, certainly. But the Elders had been quite clear when they had spoken to her.

She chose a modest wave, taking a small chance, and opened her eyes.

“Although I do walk the World seeking to learn things I would not have learned with my Family’s Caravan, a desire to walk and learn was not the impetus for my journey. The elders of many Families decreed that I should do a thing I may not speak of, even to another Rhoni. For one who expected to never leave the safety of Family, it has become a way of learning more about myself and the World... about other people who are vastly different from those I have known all my life. I have exchanged the familiar life of a Rhoni woman for all of this.” She spread her arms wide. “I have befriended the Forest Kin and the people of this small hamlet. I have two dear friends who stand with me here and now. Like any Rhoni would, I have walked the World, I have watched the currents, and I have ridden the waves.

“Perhaps I have a small advantage over other of my kinsmen for I can seek advice from my Cards.

“The secret of the Great Pattern, Lyric, is that it is not a Pattern. It is the conflict of Order and Chaos that has shaped the world since the Shattering. Some choose to find the Patterns that are sometimes revealed when Order has won a temporary victory over Chaos. Looking more closely is not the way to find a Pattern. Looking from a distance is not the way to find a Pattern.

“To find a Pattern, one must not look for a Pattern. In the not-looking, a Pattern may emerge. Or it may not. But this is the Rhoni way — to see the possibilities in our journeys, in our interactions with others.”

Lyric

And there came the heart of the matter. The deepest understanding of who the Rhoni were. They wandered with a purpose. And Keiko was no different. She had left a family of wandering to wander alone and yet she was building a new family.

"So... You look for what comes of this conflict, be it a search of clues to the Great Pattern itself or... be it in the unfolding of events of import from those crashing, conflicting, competing forces. And you say it is the Rhoni way to follow the latter, that the cards help interpret the state of this conflict. Am I understanding this at all, even in a small way?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Keiko smiled a little. Lyric was a minstrel, and the young Rhoni had come to believe that minstrels were ones who tried so very hard to understand everything they possibly could.

And this determination tended to cause metaphorical tripping over tree roots and falling over low fences. For it got at the heart of the most fundamental Truth of the Rhoni: that it takes a Rhoni to understand a Rhoni.

“What am I seeking? In this moment, in this gathering of people, I seek to find the best way to help my Friends of the Forest be happy, to be their best selves. I believe they already know how to be their best selves. Some do not yet know how to be happy. Some are still enslaved and cannot even begin to seek their own best selves.”

She reached out and took one of Lyric’s hands, holding it between both of hers.

“Do not try so hard to understand, my dear friend, for the harder you try, the farther from understanding you will wander. After the Great Shattering, when the people born of the Shattering took their sides and chose either Order or Chaos, the Rhoni chose not to choose.

“To stand for a thing is to stand against another thing, and the Rhoni simply are... neither for nor against, but balanced and seeking only for the best outcome for all concerned.”

Keiko’s smile grew brighter as she gently squeezed Lyric’s hand. “If you wish to understand the contradiction of the Rhoni, I invite you to walk the World with me for a while. There is Now, and there is Not Now. If I seek anything in the future Now, it would not be anything so grand as the Great Pattern, but the simple things of wonder that exist in each moment — Family and friends, glorious colors and beautiful songs, the joy and sorrow in comings and goings.

“The Cards may give insights into many things. Yet without a strong purpose in my heart — that a situation be resolved to its best outcome — and a firm thought in my mind — how can I help? — The Cards can only present gibberish. Are a strong purpose and a firm thought a guarantee that the message of the Cards will be clearly evident?”

Keiko shook her head. “No. Or at least, not by me. Not always. If I were to Read the Cards now, would they say something different? Perhaps. If I asked again before lunch? After dinner? Perhaps and perhaps. Eventually, though, they will tell me to stop asking silly questions.”

She released Lyric’s hand and folded her own across her waist, smiling as she spoke again.

“Do you think you are beginning to understand, even in a small way?”

Lyric

"In truth, friend Keiko, it does not matter if I really understand. It helps me convey my thoughts if I understand but the purpose I set out to achieve was helping you understand. It is your Gift. You watch these currents and ripples and eddies in the Great Pattern... Chaos and Order. It would simply seem to me that finding a balance between them would be best, but that is seldom the goal of conflict."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Our stories tell us that one of the first things the Ancestors said after the Great Shattering was, The best way to win a fight is to not be in a fight in the first place. Is that balance? Or is that cowardice? Is there even an answer that could be said to be the Truth?”

Keiko shrugged.

“It is a dilemma. A fight may be necessary to free those still trapped, so already our best way of winning a fight is diminished. But the Ancestors also said that the best way to not be harmed by another’s blade was to not be where their sword cut... so they taught us the Dance of Storms. They said that the best way to strike one’s own blade was not to thrust but to make sure it was where one’s foe would be even before they could realize they were there... so they taught us the Dance of Daggers.”

Looking at Tomomi, Keiko gathered her Mouse friend closer. “I would rather offer comfort and friendship.

“But if maintaining balance requires me to Dance,” she said almost sadly, “then I will Dance.”

Pietro

Keiko and Lyric seeming to be self-absorbed in their conversation and Kadri having said she did not want to discuss Mikal's sudden disappearance, Pietro turned to Dominic, Emerald and Cesare and made his customary gesture of salute.

"I need a wash."

The squire turned and headed in the direction pointed out by Cesare and headed off to attend to his morning ablutions.

He had a lot to think about.

Bekkah

She'd remained silent after making the introductions. Seeing the squire of Rames move off, she headed him off.

"Squire Pietro. I've been meaning to speak with you since yesterday's umm, event."

"I heard you're going to join our effort. I'm happy to hear that. We can certainly use your help." They both knew of course that she could have asked it of him and he would have been bound to do it, but it was far better for him to volunteer to help.

Lyric

"I feel we should gather with the others again. Sooner rather than later we will need to be on our way to meet those we are forsworn to help. But I do so want to hear about these stories of the Shattering."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Ah, well, there are only so many stories of the Shattering that one can tell. Each cult will have its own version of how Chaos was defeated. How the World Forest became Shattered. How the gods came to be, and how the people chose their gods.”

Keiko smiled and looked around at the people gathered. They all followed different deities; some followed none.

“Some of the Rhoni Families like to collect the stories and remember them through the Ages. Some of the Rhoni Families find it a nonsensical waste of time. I am fortunate — at least *I* think so — to be part of a Family that remembers. Oh, Lyric! The stories are many and so contradictory that it is truly impossible to know what to believe! But they are fine stories that give people comfort in their lives, so for only that reason I would say they are all good.

“I would be happy to tell you ones I know. It is my Grandmother and my Father who remember them all. And I would be an eager audience if there are any tales of your Kethy’s Wood you would like to share.” Keiko inclined her head. “If the tales of your small village are not ones to be shared with outsiders, I would understand, of course. Those in Brementown do not speak of their history either.”

The Rhoni leaned in closer and whispered, “I do have two favorite stories, though. The first is of Loshad, the second is of Dayala. But, yes... we should gather with the others presently. In my experience, stories are usually most enjoyable when shared in the evening around the fire.”

Then Keiko giggled. “Except for Mikkie. He enjoys contemplating life and the World from the top of the Tower, but can be coaxed often enough to tell stories that are quite entertaining. I suspect many of them hold little truth, but it brings him joy to tell them... when he is not too engrossed in the contemplation of the insides of his eyelids, of course.”

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Most of those to be involved in this quest are here or close by. Pietro wants to go and wash. He understands that, took him days to find a spot. So he sits down to return his attention to his half eaten and now slightly brown apple. A moment of quiet. Something to be savoured.

Lyric

"I am always interested in a story or a song," she replied. Lyric made a gesture to indicate it was time to regroup and allow those whose commitments were made to lead do just that. If today was the day to venture into the Dark Woods, then the more time they spent with She overhead, no matter how little light filtered in, was probably better than trying to find safe haven without her.

Pietro

"To be honest, Lady Bekkah, I did not exactly volunteer." He held up a hand, palm toward her.

"I did agree to join and assist with what you call your effort, but it was at the request of Miss Keiko. Upon further consideration, it seems a most worthy quest, one with which I am honored to be associated."

Pietro paused a moment, frowning in thought.

"It will take much in the way of planning, however, I am afraid and help from as many sources as can be recruited."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

Bekkah, Cesare, Kadri, Keiko, Lyric, Pietro, Dominic Korie, Miss Emerald, and Miss Tomomi

It was a warm morning, and Her light was a soft caress on one’s shoulders. On the one hand, if there was a day to hear bad news, this was a most comforting one. On the other hand, it was not a day that should be darkened by painful memories.

“Mister Cesare...”

Miss Emerald spoke, her words light and quiet.

“I can’t imagine the hurt you feel. Do you know why? Because we don’t have Fathers. Or Mothers. Our first memories are of being broken over and over again, and the closest thing we have to parents are taskmasters that crafted us like tools, on anvils of Darksteel and forges of grim magic.

“I just survived. I didn’t know what it was like to live until I was rescued.

“You have lost much. I have taken more. If I were to dwell on that, make that my life, I’d be a twisted thing still living in the mines even though I’m out here beneath the warm sun.

“So we find the best and hang on to that. Being rescued. A pretty piece of lace. A day where you don’t have to kill anyone. Feeling the sun, seeing the sky, the taste of bread and cheese eaten with someone special.

“I am jealous. You have all these wonderful memories of those who have shared your life. A Father that cared for you. That is something I will never know. But if I did? I would find all the joy I could from them. Let them light my day. Let them be the shield against the darkness and hurt.

“Mice are very fragile creatures, Mister Cesare. But if kind memories can keep us from the Dark, they should do so for you too. You are much stronger than we are.”

In response to Miss Emerald’s words, Dominic simply broke off a piece of bread and reached back over his shoulder to share the tidbit with his companion. Miss Emmi just squeaked; it was a happy one as she reached up to accept a gift shared.

They practiced the simple philosophy Miss Emmi verbalized to Cesare: take joy in what you have, rather than sorrow in what you do not.

Breakfast would thus play out with conversation and food. A morning’s ablutions could be easily found. Just on the other side of the rock, there were a few small streams for such — these fields were crisscrossed with little creeks all the way to the Silk Creek Ravine. It took a little break from the rest to do so, but it was only for a short bit of time before one returned to the others.

Tomomi added a simple comment to Keiko’s, admittedly looking more than a little confused at their conversation, trying her very best to keep up.

“Lady always says comfort and friendship don’t grow on trees. You have to work to make that happen. And work is part of that work.”

Once Dominic had finished his meal, he closed his eyes and rested, leaning back against Miss Emerald. That lasted until the she lightly nudged his back with her elbow.

“What! I’m awake! I’m just thinking... thinking with my eyes closed!”

Dominic just stretched, looking at the folks gathered about. He nodded to Pietro, as the Squire spoke to Bekkah.

“I guess this is the ‘what do we do now?’ part of the morning. And it’s yours to decide. Do we go into the Forest? Is this indeed the day’s task? If so, how? I recommended a fleet of coracles, at least until we reach Home. But they’d have to be built, and I’d suggest getting started with it.”

He echoed something Kadri spoke.

“What is done is done. It is now time for the doing of new things.”

He cast a sly look then to the Minstrel and Card Reader.

“You know, it may be time to stop talking about watching ripples in the river and actually start making some, ja?”

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 20/11/16 18:10 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

The young woman with violet eyes and a red blaze through her black hair looked at the diminutive Noble and favored him with a mischievous smile.

“But m’lord, you of all people should know that when the storytellers of this great wide World happen upon one another, stories must be shared!”

Keiko chuckled as she winked at the Young Master, knowing from reputation alone that the happiness of his stories balanced the deficiency of his singing ability. And then she regarded the river in question, raising both eyebrows in skepticism. The look she gave Dommi was not the least bit subtle — she thought his brain might have been scrambled a little more than was healthy for any person.

“Riddle me this, Lord Tone-Deaf. How long will it take to make these coracles of yours and must they be made here? Would it take less time to travel in such peculiar conveyances to Home, or might we simply enjoy a nice walk through the Forest? I’ll grant you, of course, that we would need an escort. But bringing word to Broke that an escort is required would take less than a blink of your lazy eyes.”

She looked at Tomomi and then Emerald before addressing Dominic again. “I have seen Broke and Wrath move very fast indeed. I would surmise that the rest of the Pack is equally adept.

“And I am far more trusting of Broke and the other Guardians to keep us safe in the Forest than I am of a floating bathtub to protect me from those wicked fish of the Blackwater.”

Pietro

Pietro blinked slowly, looking from Bekkah to Dominic to Keiko and then back to the Korie lordling.

"I confess to confusion. Where is Home? Where dwell the evil taskmasters of the Forest Kin? Do we need to travel both into the Forest and the Blackwater Miss Keiko mentions?"

The squire looked back to the Lady of Attera to see if she had a reply to his earlier statement.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"I imagine that we are not going to be storming the gates and winning by massed force of arms, so the question is how we enter and what reaction we get as we come."

She looks to Emerald.

"So if we go through the forest and approach this place what else are we likely to find as we approach? Guards? Waypoints?"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 21/11/16 13:15 UTC.
Bekkah to Pietro

She smiled at his words.

"Regardless, I am glad that you have chosen to lend your support."

"As far as to the logistics or how and where. well alas, I am but a simple healer. I only know that my Lady made it clear that granting the blessing she did was pointless unless this business was finished. I'm sure others will have the answers you seek. I hope that Renyard and some of the others from the forest come today to discuss this, for I am certain they felt my Lady's touch and they know what it means."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Before the others return, Cesare munching his apple listens to Emerald, thinking that he has never heard her say so much or to show so much wisdom. Maybe this is part of the change that Bekkah had asked for?

"I am sorry for the hurt that you and the others have suffered. And it has to stop, of that I am agreed."

He shakes his head quickly in denial.

"And no need to worry about me. I am Rhoni and we know life is all about meetings and partings, be they temporary or permanent. I only knew my father for a short while and was too young to remember much of him. My mother though.."

And he smiles.

"I have good memories of her which I will carry always. Your take on life - being happy for the things you have now - is a good one and not far from the Rhoni way. Let's see if we can increase the things you have to be happy about."

The others start to gather together and some planning starts to take place. He lets the others have their say, amused by Keiko's questions to the Lordling.

Pietro to Bekkah

The squire cocked his head to one side and gave the 'simple healer' a long, appraising look accompanied by a slowly widening smile.

"After experiencing the effects of your... intervention yesterday, Miss Bekkah, I doubt seriously that there is anything simple about your healing."

Pietro chuckled briefly.

"I look forward to learning from... Renyard you say his name is? From him and the others as the task thus far seems more than a little daunting to me."

Bekkah

She shrugged.

"I currently seem to have my Goddess' favor."

"It does seem daunting. And if it were to be just up to us, then it would be folly. I think we'll have allies. Many of them. And many of them with quite a compliment of skills. We just have to wait for their leaders to show up, so we can plan."

"I find that having one of Rames Soldiers with us is a good sign. Should we be successful, this may go a long way to help people believe in our Gods and in us."

Pietro

He nodded and smiled to the healer.

"I look forward to discussing the situation and developing something in the way of tactics with them when they arrive."

Pietro's smile waned a little as she discussed the way the common folk viewed their respective deities.

"I agree. It was for the purpose of finding fulfillment in the true meaning of service to Lord Rames that I left Talantal and its political maneuvering to travel the lands these several years ago."

Lyric

The minstrel girl was content to abide by the decisions of those Who Would Lead. She was not One Who Would Lead, not here anyway. She was a minstrel and might best serve those in that capacity to lighten their emotions and forget the stress and weariness of the long 'journey' ahead, wherever it was to take them. She had given her Oath and Oaths were binding. There was a special kind of magic in Oaths.

She listened to the interplay of conversations now, looking at the groups within the group and saw a kind of unity and trust being built. Still, like her people, she felt a bit of an outsider, an observer. Maybe that was the way of it, though she hoped it not be the case. But it was hard to break certain social constraints even with the willpower to do so.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

Bekkah, Cesare, Kadri, Keiko, Lyric, Pietro, Dominic Korie, Miss Emerald, and Miss Tomomi

“Aye-yup, Squire Pietro, it seems we are Dirkwood bound. The mines are inside a lake inside the Forest, where once an Imperial Prince and his retinue traveled and were ne’er seen again.”

Dominic looked down from his stone-side perch. It was unusual for the young master, to be looking down at most folks, at least on purpose.

“The only difference being that we are planning on being seen again. Well, at the least I am, you folks can make that decision for yourselves.

“As for Home, it’s about halfway between here and there. It’s where the Forest Folk live. Like the mines, Home uses water to protect itself from the Forest, it’s just a little less deep, a little more picturesque and they decided to build upwards instead of down.

“As for what we find there, we’ll just have to look and see, I suspect. The parts I saw were from the inside out. I don’t know if any of the Forest Folk travel close enough to the lake to say. Considering what happens there, I would not blame them if they stayed clear of the mines.

“Last...”

Dominic looked to Keiko and shrugged his shoulders.

“That which was missing had a lining of silver traced within its emptiness. The Forest could not see them. That’s correct, Emmi?”

His companion nodded her head and next to Keiko, so did Tomomi.

“Now the Forest can. See them, I suspect. Whether or not it now chooses to feast upon the Forest Folk, that will be one of the first things we need to discover. We know it don’t like folks like us. So just between me and you? I’d rather deal with fish than give Broke an excuse to rescue me from a hungry tree again.

“I’d never hear the last of that!”

Pietro

"When do you expect we could meet up with Renyard and Broke and the others to share information and make some tentative plans, Dommi," the squire asked. The almost insurmountable (it seemed to him) odds against them nagged at him and he was anxious to get more information, to make more plans, to see if there was a successful way out of this conundrum with which he'd been presented.

Pietro had every intention of fulfilling his pledge to Keiko, but he'd feel better if he saw some way to win the upcoming confrontation.

The lake in the woods... that made sense of a sort. At least it made the need for coracles sensible, but what did that have to do with the archipelago?

He was not reassured with the idea of hungry trees.

Lyric

From behind the group assembled and now focused on the perched Lord of the Land came a quiet but commanding voice, inquisitive in tone but intent on making a point for consideration.

"But it can be done, Yes? This passing through the Forest to the Home of the Forestkin on foot, unharmed? Right? For Lady Bekkah and Friend Keiko have entered and returned and neither appear to have been eaten by a tree. They had escorts, no doubt... But we too have escorts. Do we need more?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"So the forest itself is alive.. and hostile. Interesting. I can see now why you favour an approach by river. And are we likely to need the boats to get to the island?"

He tosses the apple core. Maybe it will grow into a tree one day.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

Dominic shook his head, looking back to Pietro.

“Well if we wait for them, I suspect they are not going to show up until Marketday. I may be an all-powerful lordling, master of the air, water, fire, and ice. But because I come from such a small village big things, like Renyards and Brokes, just don’t listen to me! They do what they wish, when they wish and are probably having breakfast right now and if you’ve seen Broke smile you do not, you do not want to be disturbing her.

“So if you want to talk to them, we probably should go looking for them.”

He then turned his attention to the Rhoni lad.

“Alive isn’t quite the word I’d use because it has always been alive. Cursed is a better word, or perhaps just made right powerful angry.

“As for the latter, Minstrel Lyric...”

Dominic closed his eyes and crossed his arms.

“I have the most annoying friend. She’s bright, friendly, and I’d do anything for her, and if she knew I was in trouble, she’d come after me right away. She is great fun to tease about her name, even if it means ending up being hung from the rafters each Midwinters. It’s a tradition you know.”

With a hop, he bounced down from is perch and walked right up to Lyric, eyes bright and mischievous.

“Now you are a regular, ordinary, just like the rest of us person, right? You don’t have dark witchcrafts or are planning to turn me into a toad, right? You better answer yes, because I make a terrible toad.”

He clapped his hands together and snap... when he pulled them apart there was a small flame burning in the air. Now that was not surprising; it was a very minor cantrip, a very common spell of mundane magic and many folks who made their living traveling knew it. It was very helpful when making a campfire no matter what the weather.

“Now if you were my friend Dandelion Koromov, that would not have worked. Not only can’t she do magic, but she is also literally a walking one-lady magic destroyer. And it’s not just herself. You get anywhere near her and magic starts failing; it’s like a halo, like an aura. Bad things tend to be nasty that way.

“Now the Forest Folk had an emptiness in them just like that. It’s why most priestesses and priests knew what they were just walking close to them.”

He looked over his shoulder.

“You felt it, Bekkah, didn’t you? When you first saw them, ja?”

Returning his attention to Lyric, he let out a long breath.

“That aura which would have protected us through the Forest isn’t there anymore.

“Because they are now regular, ordinary people like us.”

He smiled.

“Which is a very good thing. Yet it’s also why I think the Blackwater is the safest way into the Forest for everyone. It was good enough for Prince Faast, it should be good enough for us, ja?”

That brought the end of his conversation. It was quiet then, for a long series of heartbeats. Until a very soft voice spoke up.

“It is just like the Young Master said. All stone, in the middle of the lake. With sail things on little houses. What do the Rats and Raccoons say? Oh. That’s right. It’s not a problem getting in. It’s a problem getting out.”

Tomomi looked down and blushed.

“I got white chalk for white paint for Keiko-friend from the lake cliffs. It’s scary, because of the Hunters, but you just have to be... well... sneaky.”

Lyric

The Minstrel did not flinch when the 'Lord of All He Surveyed' hopped from the stone perch to bounce in front of her, at what most would consider an uncomfortable closeness. She didn't even blink at the suddenness of his mischievous approach. After all, Lyric had deduced that he, like Lady Kadri, shared this trait to varying degrees. Him well more so.

With him so close, peering into her eyes, and questioning her ability and penchant for dark magic, as though singling her out among all the others meant there was some uncertainty. Maybe not about dark magic, but he had questions all the same.

She didn't answer him but instead held his eyes with her own gaze, all too close, opening her mouth ever so slightly, almost invitingly. Take a risk Mischievous One. What have you got to lose? Then again, maybe not... Maybe there is everything to lose...

When he broke the moment of closeness to continue with his 'performance', for Dommie did everything through performance art, Lyric blinked shyly and turned her face slightly away.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"OK I accept the logic. So does that mean that the forest folk are no longer safe themselves? In which case we do have a pressing time problem. And does anyone know how to build one of these boat things?"

His questions sound casual.. but they aren't. Just his way of dealing with issues.

Bekkah

She smiled at Dominic's theatrics. When he mentioned what she'd probably felt, she simply met his brief gaze and nodded in agreement.

When he was done, she remained quiet, listening to what the others thought. She thought Cesare's conclusion was probably correct.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She had watched Dommi’s theatrics with interest. He was an interesting one — by pulling so much attention to himself, it was difficult to pay heed to what he was actually saying and doing. No doubt he pleased his Lady Goddess a great deal.

“They are of the Forest,” Keiko said quietly. “If I have understood what the Young Master has said, they are still safe, for they are still recognized as the residents of the Forest.”

She looked at Tomomi and smiled sadly. “However, where once they could shelter us in their cloaks, this is no longer possible for they have lost their cloaks. It is not a terrible thing for them... only for their guests who might wish to visit.”

And then, accepting of what was, the Rhoni shrugged. “So strange little boats it must be. I do hope, dear Lord Tone-Deaf, that you have some knowledge of building such things.” She smiled mischievously at him. “Otherwise, we will be forced to wait until Marketday when Broke returns. And then wait even longer while Broke goes to the Big Village to find someone who can teach us the building of tiny boats.”

Pietro

"How soon do you... all of you want to embark on the mission with which we are all enjoined?"

Pietro looked around at all of them, one by one.

"If soon, then plans must be made soon. If there is not much in the way of... immediacy needed, then the planning sessions can wait."

He wondered about the Dandelion Dominic mentioned, wondering if this was indeed the Captain Dandy he had met, but that could wait.

"I have seen coracles, but have never examined them closely enough to be sure of their construction."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
KAdri:

"I would hope there is at least some time, because before making plans we need to ask questions and figure out what we will find when we get there and, other than in general terms, what exactly we are trying to do. Because as much as I like winging it, improvising is much easier when you have a theme in mind."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

The Rhoni studied the Squire for a time — long enough to wonder how the Imperials ever managed to accomplish anything. Did they all plan and dither and then never do anything? At least Mikkie was honest in his not-doing. He didn’t dawdle or plan his daily watches at the top of the tower. He just climbed the stairs and proceeded to do nothing but sit and watch and occasionally nap. And those weren’t even planned either — when he felt the desire for a nap, he merely napped. He was very pragmatic that way.

Her gaze turned to the Young Master’s wife when she spoke. Had Keiko not mentioned a mine? Mines implied certain things, such as tools for extracting that which was to be mined. It was best not to think about that, as some of those “tools” were, in point of fact, people like Tomomi and Emmi and Mister Rat and the charming and fastidious Raccoon couple at Home. She had assuredly mentioned Dwarves. She was quite sure of that. Perhaps those of the Plains had an inability to remember anything related to Dwarves. Well, that would make Dama Kadri a liability.

And what exactly were they trying to do? How many times had she said it and in how many different ways? What they exactly were trying to do was free the Forest Kin who were still enslaved, and prevent the Dwarves from being able to use their awful sorceries to create more of their “tools.” Keiko tried not to shudder when she thought about that.

Maybe Dama Kadri had a problem understanding and speaking Colonial. Maybe that was why so much of what she said made so little sense. Or maybe it was just a typical Gaija reaction to a Rhoni. Gaija were difficult to understand at times, and this one more so than many.

And why must things always be done in such a strictly linear way? Could the building of the tiny boats not be done at the same time they discussed whatever plans they thought they ought to consider about the getting in and the getting out of this place in the middle of the lake?

Make plans and ask questions, indeed! Dillydally and talk, babble, speak, prattle, chatter, rhapsodize — and then procrastinate some more. Well, at this rate, Midwinter would come and go... and they’d still be standing around talking about how exactly they were going to get into the mines and what precisely they were going to do once they got there and how specifically were they to address the issue of the Dwarves.

The Ancestors said, If you want to make the Gods laugh, make a plan.

Perhaps that was why Dama Kadri was so fixated on particulars — she was trying to make her Lady Trickster laugh. Keiko didn’t know much about such things, but there were probably more effective ways of making Lady Arilys laugh.

And she thought that it was probably an exceptionally prudent thing that she had never mentioned the dragons.

Still, it seemed to her that the Young Master and Miss Emmi were the most qualified to speak on the topic of the mines, especially the getting in and the getting out of them. They had experience with such things — albeit rather dreadful experiences. And Tomomi had already said that sneakiness would be required.

She sighed and whispered to Tomomi, “If I fetched a bit of parchment and a charcoal stick, could you draw the cliffs, so we know what they look like? And Hunters? Of Khannish?”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

It was one of those quiet, weighty, breathless moments. Will he? Won’t he? Will he? Won’t he? It was the type of moment romantics dream of, and minstrels write songs about. Dominic and Lyric were poised, balanced on that dagger’s edge.

And then Dominic leaned forward that last bit.

He leaned forward and sidestepped, just enough to end up side-by-side and to whisper something in Lyric’s ear.

Dominic bounced, a bright and mischievous back step, looking at the minstrel with a smile and a nod as he spun on his heel to turn to the Rhoni lad and lass.

“And that, that is the magic of a coracle! Not only do I know how to make one, but it's also right simple to build!”

The young master stood there triumphant, with his hands on his hips. So it was Miss Emerald who clambered down from their previous perch, walked up to him, and reached out with a cloak-covered paw and poked him in the side.

Poke. Poke.

Dominic looked at her and sighed.

“Fine. I know how to make them because they are simple to build.”

Hidden within her hood, Miss Emerald smiled. Dominic turned to Squire.

“Good! You’ll be lots of help then. The simplest type is just grass, leaves and oil cloth. Leather is better, and sapling twigs are really good too. I think we can find most of what we need on the other side of the Rock. I’ll scrounge up the leather and cloth and such if you can get the long, young branches and things to stuff them with if we can’t find enough outside the Forest. That and there should be a couple up at the tower or under the bridge.”

“If we start now and things work out, we could be Home-bound in the afternoon.”

Tomomi looked up at Keiko and smiled.

“Ja, I will help too. We use them for fishing around Home. Otherwise, well... uhm, wet fur and all.”

Her little nose twitched at Keiko's question.

"Ja and nin. Draw, ja, god followers no.

"Weasels."

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 29/11/16 12:09 UTC.

Lyric

When Dommi broke the moment of closeness to continue with his 'performance', for Dommi did everything through performance art, Lyric blinked shyly and turned her face slightly away.

She felt a sensation of heat about her face and a tightness in her chest as if her breathing were being hindered by a weight or a constriction. It was something unfamiliar to her. She felt a little off-balance. Each breath was shallow.

His words had some kind of meaning, but she couldn't focus on that in this moment as she turned away. She opened her mouth to exhale but it seemed an empty action for there was little breath to surrender. Her vision narrowed and she struggled to get control of things she felt and... emotions... emotions that had more control that she even knew possible.

Slow.... Slow it down... Breathe...

She closed her eyes and tried to find some kind of Order in the sudden Chaos, as if that were possible. In fact she wanted to embrace this Chaos. It was so new to her... so different... an experience unlike any other thus far. And like the Apple, or the 'sinno-man' bread, she wanted to hold onto it deep within herself and make it last.

She closed her eyes as she took a few steps away from the group and Dommi and allowed the moment to stretch into many, making the Now last longer.

Bekkah

Domminic had a way of drawing one's attention so Bekkah watched as he said something to the young girl, Lyric. She then continued to watch the girl who seemed to be in some kind of distress.

She wasn't certain what had happened and the distress seemed more surprise based rather than actual harm. Still she followed the girl as she stepped away from the others. Doing nothing wasn't something Bekkah did well, when she might be able to help.

She stepped over to Lyric and looked down at the girl.

"Are you well Lyric?" she asked with concern in her voice.

Pietro

The squire caught Keiko looking at him with an appraising, perhaps even scornful gaze and he shrugged slightly. He knew not what he'd done to earn her scorn - if scorn it was - but now was not the time to concern himself with her opinion of him.

Pietro was not one to over plan and endlessly strategize, but he would rather have a bit of a plan than to charge blindly into the fray.

Then Dominic started talking. Pietro listened and nodded.

"I will be glad to help," he said, pulling his war axe from his belt.

"Over that way, you said?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: Keiko's expression is fairly bland and emotionless. Note to self: write much longer, far more detailed posts.]

[OOC: He caught her gazing appraisingly at him and maybe he thought she was prone to scorn? Or that he perhaps was deserving of a certain amount of scorn? Or maybe he's just a good guesser. Also, the longer your posts get, the less likely I am to read them in close detail.]

Pietro

Pausing just a moment before going to locate and cut young, pliant tree branches, Pietro puzzled over what Tomomi had said. He had not been introduced to the small Forest Kin who stayed so close alongside Keiko so he hesitated to speak directly to her.

Instead, the squire looked from Tomomi to Keiko and then to Dominic.

"Weasels?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She breathes in once, then lets out a long breath.

She looks to emerald.

"Tell me, if you would, what you know about dwarves. Not what they look like, who they are. How they think. Can they smell better than a human? See? Hear? What can you tell me?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He is happier doing than talking. Pushing himself to his feet, he nods to Dommi and then says to Pietro...

"I'll come with you."

He then heads in the direction that Dommi had suggested, his eyes scanning for appropriate materials for boat production.

Lyric

Bekkah's words broke the moment and the Minstrel opened her eyes as she nodded to the Aterran healer.

"I am," she replied with a smile that grew more convincing as she spoke.

"There are things that confuse me from time to time. I am used to a different pace. And there are words and phrases that I don't always understand. And sometimes there are things that I have never experienced. As I said, my village is remote, very hard to reach, everyone knows everyone else... New things are wondrous and I just like to hold onto the feelings as long as I can."

She bowed her head apologetically.

"I am sorry if I worried you. But I am well... Thank you for your concern. It touches me, makes me feel welcomed that you care."

Bekkah

"Of course. It's simply in my nature to worry about everyone. Comes with the title." she added with a friendly smile. She decided not to push her any further taking her at her word.

She turned back to rejoin the others, listening mostly to Dominic as he told them what he knew.

Pietro

The squire held up a hand in a justaminute sort of gesture.

"Be right with you, Cesare," he said, waiting just a moment to see if he'd get a response to his weasels? question.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm

Pietro’s pause caught the attention of Tomomi, causing her to turn from her companion to address the Squire.

“Weasels...”

Still close, Tomomi tightened her grip on Keiko’s arm.

“Only two Forest Folk like working in the mines. Ruffs do because it is in a ruff’s nature to be dedicated to their person. Ruffs have been the Friends of Man since forever, ja?

“For Dwarves, for the Mine Masters, it is the weasels. Weasels and Dwarves get along in the same way. They think the same way as the Dwarves do. If you can do something... then do it; no right or wrong, just do it. They collect things, shiny things, just like Dwarves do. And they are very good at taking things that should not be taken.

“The only good thing about Weasels is that merebeasts hate them. A family of merebeasts will fight to the last merebeast over a deer one of them killed. If they see a weasel? They will abandon the deer, and all of them will go after the weasel. These are wild merebeasts. They just don’t care if it is a forged critter and they are not.”

Tomomi returned then to Keiko, as they had their own task for the morning to undertake — one of paper, pens, and color.

As Kadri approached, Miss Emerald shifted, changing her balance from one hidden foot to another before tugging her hood even farther forward.

“About the Dwarves themselves...”

Her words were quiet.

“Dwarves are small but sturdy, shorter than most folks but just as heavy, and all that weight is muscle. Push over a man, trip a man... that’s easy. It’s almost impossible to do that to a Dwarf. They are burrowers; they prefer being underground, so day and night have no meaning for them. They can put a hand on a wall and know what it is made of, or when someone last passed; they can feel footsteps from a distance. They are makers second and collectors of things rare and valuable first. But most importantly, Dwarves are not good, Dwarves are not bad. Those words have a different meaning for them. It took Broke and my Owner a long time to teach me what good and bad really means.”

She closed her eyes and stepped closer to Dominic.

“A Dwarf makes a sword. For us, to kill an enemy is good. For us, to kill a friend is bad. For a dwarf, it is good if a sword kills and bad if it breaks. Using a sword to kill friend or enemy is equally good because this is what a sword is made for.

“Mining is dangerous. Mining kills miners. They do not care why the mining is dangerous — when a tool breaks, they just make more tools. What is the difference between a good and bad miner? Not who they are but how much ore they bring out. If you are made, you are a tool and a tool’s reason for being is doing the task you were made for. That is good. Not doing it, bad.

“I was not a very good tool.”

If there were no more questions, the remainder of the morning tasks would begin. Cesare and Pietro head off to start their collection of coracle spars, Dominic loped along the farmhouses collecting canvas.

Miss Emerald would vanish for a portion of the morning, leaving Bekkah, Kadri, and Lyric to lend a hand with the others’ endeavors.

Lyric

With Bekkah returning her attention again to Dommi and the those who asked questions, Lyric found herself alone. She had found herself that way last night, sleeping by herself outside, and here she was again, uncertain of how this dynamic was working and how to make herself more a part of it. It was in her nature to keep to herself and she was used to being alone. Being alone was good for thinking...

But this was not her village anymore and being alone meant you were... alone. If that actually made the kind of sense only Lyric understood. It would be hard to explain.

She watched the Korie Lord, even now as the Mouse named Emerald spoke of dwarves and their forged tools and she then cast a glance to the Rhoni lad and she wrestled with the thoughts that came as naturally as breathing to a libertine such as herself. What a curiosity that seemed to her, and even contradictory, to be conflicted by something like this.

She cast the thoughts and the troubles they stirred away, right along with the feelings and walked back to stand closer to the others. Some things were best denied. That would be for the best.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Vryx
Vryx
Pittsburgh
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,452
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy