Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 25 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

This is not a good day. Today he has lost a father and a good friend. But he knows that nothing lasts for ever. This is the way of the world. And sometimes folk just slip away quietly. His mother slipped away from life, both his Aunt and Uncle left at different times but at times right for them.

"Then I would wish him well.. and hope to meet him again one day."

He has some comfort in that a piece of himself crafted in the shape of a dagger goes with Mikal. There is still a connection between them.

Online Away

Lyric

Lyric wondered many things, sometimes she wondered them all at once. That was often a little chaotic but such was the way of things for her. But listening to Friend Keiko did not give her pause to wonder, but rather listen. That was the purpose of her inquiry, so that she might listen. Better yet, the purpose was to give keiko time to reflect in the spaces between her own words. Words were Lyrics trade and craft... And they came from her heart, given through her voice. Her voice was her Gift.

"I am certain that it is much simpler, these readings on 'Festival Days'. These are performances though, not the 'True Heart' of your Gift. Much like when I might shift around an open market and entertain those who come to trade, or among the laborers whose toils weary them before the tasks are done or sit before a gathered audience in the evening after their day's work is done and entertain them so they might find comfort, peace, and a relaxation of their heart and spirit and body. These are performances. They are an extension of the Gift itself. Easier yes, very True. They do not carry the weight of a world with them. The nature of a Gift is such that it always comes with a responsibility and that carries a burden."

Lyric was not finished though.

"Why is it that birds do what they do when they senses the change in the seasons. Perhaps it is what they have always done. They know these things because they do these things. It is a part of them and so their is an order in their ever changing lives. They read Patterns, friend Keiko."

Lyric gaze was settled firmly on her friend, eyes meeting eyes, those bright reflective purple and the dull pale blue.

"You sell yourself short of your true worth. Perhaps these Allaines do what they do because they have always done it. And maybe they told others this is what they do. While you have been told that you do something else. You do not know if you can do something until you try, and try, and try. Patterns can not be seen in one try. Patterns are things that one must observe by looking at the same thing every day for many many days."

"You might not step in the same water twice, very true. Everything changes. But if you stand in that water and look at the things that are also touched by the water that is ever changing, and you do this day after day, then you just might see how those things are changing because they too can not touch the same water twice."

"You say you asked a question and that question had a point and purpose and that the cards revealed things for you to interpret. perhaps These Allaines ask questions with less focus on things in the Now and look to the What Will Be and ask the same question and again and again... so they can see how Time that can not be touched twice affects the things that are changed by the touching."

"You have read your cards several times since you came here, this I sense. For you came here to see something different. You are not among your kind, but on a journey of self. You would seek this guidance, of this I have no doubt. In it's own way, these are the readings that offer you a chance to glimpse this sense of Pattern. What can be gleaned from looking at all those readings together?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She was silent for long heartbeats after Lyric finished speaking. Her friend had a way of looking at What Was and shining Her light on it in a different way. And yet, for all the different ways Keiko could look at Possibilities and Patterns, one thing was still true... would always be true.

What Must Be always creates a matching and opposite This Is Not.

“It is a simpler thing when one looks at a coin, Friend Lyric, to see that Card Readers and Pattern Readers are like the two sides of one coin. Both necessary, yet opposite.”

As she closed her eyes, thinking back on the readings she had done in the time since arriving, she realized there had been fewer than she might normally have done. On her journey along the Path, she had read the Cards often. But since arriving here and discovering that the one who now had a name of Tomomi could find beautiful and rare pigments, Keiko had spent considerable time refreshing the colors on her Cards.

Still, there had been messages often repeated.

“The most significant thing I have learned since leaving my Family’s Caravan is that the currents will not always take me where I believe I am going. That expecting the unexpected should be expected. It is interesting that the Cards reminded me so often of a thing I know to be true.

“However, since arriving at Waverider’s Watch, the Readings have been more...” She tilted her head slightly and one could see her eyes moving behind the closed lids, as though she was looking for something. “...conversational? Like greeting friends and having a conversation. Most often they reminded me that there remained the influence of chaotic forces and that these forces were likely beneficial. Taken as a whole, perhaps as though telling a story, the message was that of a multitude of possibilities... and that this type of situation often leads to indecision. There was the possibility of currents beginning and ending, the possibility of plans being made and coming to fruition.”

Keiko again stood in silence, eyes closed, watching currents and waves. How much could she share with her friend Lyric? Some of it, certainly. But the Elders had been quite clear when they had spoken to her.

She chose a modest wave, taking a small chance, and opened her eyes.

“Although I do walk the World seeking to learn things I would not have learned with my Family’s Caravan, a desire to walk and learn was not the impetus for my journey. The elders of many Families decreed that I should do a thing I may not speak of, even to another Rhoni. For one who expected to never leave the safety of Family, it has become a way of learning more about myself and the World... about other people who are vastly different from those I have known all my life. I have exchanged the familiar life of a Rhoni woman for all of this.” She spread her arms wide. “I have befriended the Forest Kin and the people of this small hamlet. I have two dear friends who stand with me here and now. Like any Rhoni would, I have walked the World, I have watched the currents, and I have ridden the waves.

“Perhaps I have a small advantage over other of my kinsmen for I can seek advice from my Cards.

“The secret of the Great Pattern, Lyric, is that it is not a Pattern. It is the conflict of Order and Chaos that has shaped the world since the Shattering. Some choose to find the Patterns that are sometimes revealed when Order has won a temporary victory over Chaos. Looking more closely is not the way to find a Pattern. Looking from a distance is not the way to find a Pattern.

“To find a Pattern, one must not look for a Pattern. In the not-looking, a Pattern may emerge. Or it may not. But this is the Rhoni way — to see the possibilities in our journeys, in our interactions with others.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Online Away

Lyric

And there came the heart of the matter. The deepest understanding of who the Rhoni were. They wandered with a purpose. And Keiko was no different. She had left a family of wandering to wander alone and yet she was building a new family.

"So... You look for what comes of this conflict, be it a search of clues to the Great Pattern itself or... be it in the unfolding of events of import from those crashing, conflicting, competing forces. And you say it is the Rhoni way to follow the latter, that the cards help interpret the state of this conflict. Am I understanding this at all, even in a small way?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Keiko smiled a little. Lyric was a minstrel, and the young Rhoni had come to believe that minstrels were ones who tried so very hard to understand everything they possibly could.

And this determination tended to cause metaphorical tripping over tree roots and falling over low fences. For it got at the heart of the most fundamental Truth of the Rhoni: that it takes a Rhoni to understand a Rhoni.

“What am I seeking? In this moment, in this gathering of people, I seek to find the best way to help my Friends of the Forest be happy, to be their best selves. I believe they already know how to be their best selves. Some do not yet know how to be happy. Some are still enslaved and cannot even begin to seek their own best selves.”

She reached out and took one of Lyric’s hands, holding it between both of hers.

“Do not try so hard to understand, my dear friend, for the harder you try, the farther from understanding you will wander. After the Great Shattering, when the people born of the Shattering took their sides and chose either Order or Chaos, the Rhoni chose not to choose.

“To stand for a thing is to stand against another thing, and the Rhoni simply are... neither for nor against, but balanced and seeking only for the best outcome for all concerned.”

Keiko’s smile grew brighter as she gently squeezed Lyric’s hand. “If you wish to understand the contradiction of the Rhoni, I invite you to walk the World with me for a while. There is Now, and there is Not Now. If I seek anything in the future Now, it would not be anything so grand as the Great Pattern, but the simple things of wonder that exist in each moment — Family and friends, glorious colors and beautiful songs, the joy and sorrow in comings and goings.

“The Cards may give insights into many things. Yet without a strong purpose in my heart — that a situation be resolved to its best outcome — and a firm thought in my mind — how can I help? — The Cards can only present gibberish. Are a strong purpose and a firm thought a guarantee that the message of the Cards will be clearly evident?”

Keiko shook her head. “No. Or at least, not by me. Not always. If I were to Read the Cards now, would they say something different? Perhaps. If I asked again before lunch? After dinner? Perhaps and perhaps. Eventually, though, they will tell me to stop asking silly questions.”

She released Lyric’s hand and folded her own across her waist, smiling as she spoke again.

“Do you think you are beginning to understand, even in a small way?”

Online Away

Lyric

"In truth, friend Keiko, it does not matter if I really understand. It helps me convey my thoughts if I understand but the purpose I set out to achieve was helping you understand. It is your Gift. You watch these currents and ripples and eddies in the Great Pattern... Chaos and Order. It would simply seem to me that finding a balance between them would be best, but that is seldom the goal of conflict."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Our stories tell us that one of the first things the Ancestors said after the Great Shattering was, The best way to win a fight is to not be in a fight in the first place. Is that balance? Or is that cowardice? Is there even an answer that could be said to be the Truth?”

Keiko shrugged.

“It is a dilemma. A fight may be necessary to free those still trapped, so already our best way of winning a fight is diminished. But the Ancestors also said that the best way to not be harmed by another’s blade was to not be where their sword cut... so they taught us the Dance of Storms. They said that the best way to strike one’s own blade was not to thrust but to make sure it was where one’s foe would be even before they could realize they were there... so they taught us the Dance of Daggers.”

Looking at Tomomi, Keiko gathered her Mouse friend closer. “I would rather offer comfort and friendship.

“But if maintaining balance requires me to Dance,” she said almost sadly, “then I will Dance.”

Pietro

Keiko and Lyric seeming to be self-absorbed in their conversation and Kadri having said she did not want to discuss Mikal's sudden disappearance, Pietro turned to Dominic, Emerald and Cesare and made his customary gesture of salute.

"I need a wash."

The squire turned and headed in the direction pointed out by Cesare and headed off to attend to his morning ablutions.

He had a lot to think about.

Online Content
Bekkah

She'd remained silent after making the introductions. Seeing the squire of Rames move off, she headed him off.

"Squire Pietro. I've been meaning to speak with you since yesterday's umm, event."

"I heard you're going to join our effort. I'm happy to hear that. We can certainly use your help." They both knew of course that she could have asked it of him and he would have been bound to do it, but it was far better for him to volunteer to help.

Online Away

Lyric

"I feel we should gather with the others again. Sooner rather than later we will need to be on our way to meet those we are forsworn to help. But I do so want to hear about these stories of the Shattering."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Ah, well, there are only so many stories of the Shattering that one can tell. Each cult will have its own version of how Chaos was defeated. How the World Forest became Shattered. How the gods came to be, and how the people chose their gods.”

Keiko smiled and looked around at the people gathered. They all followed different deities; some followed none.

“Some of the Rhoni Families like to collect the stories and remember them through the Ages. Some of the Rhoni Families find it a nonsensical waste of time. I am fortunate — at least *I* think so — to be part of a Family that remembers. Oh, Lyric! The stories are many and so contradictory that it is truly impossible to know what to believe! But they are fine stories that give people comfort in their lives, so for only that reason I would say they are all good.

“I would be happy to tell you ones I know. It is my Grandmother and my Father who remember them all. And I would be an eager audience if there are any tales of your Kethy’s Wood you would like to share.” Keiko inclined her head. “If the tales of your small village are not ones to be shared with outsiders, I would understand, of course. Those in Brementown do not speak of their history either.”

The Rhoni leaned in closer and whispered, “I do have two favorite stories, though. The first is of Loshad, the second is of Dayala. But, yes... we should gather with the others presently. In my experience, stories are usually most enjoyable when shared in the evening around the fire.”

Then Keiko giggled. “Except for Mikkie. He enjoys contemplating life and the World from the top of the Tower, but can be coaxed often enough to tell stories that are quite entertaining. I suspect many of them hold little truth, but it brings him joy to tell them... when he is not too engrossed in the contemplation of the insides of his eyelids, of course.”

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Most of those to be involved in this quest are here or close by. Pietro wants to go and wash. He understands that, took him days to find a spot. So he sits down to return his attention to his half eaten and now slightly brown apple. A moment of quiet. Something to be savoured.

Online Away

Lyric

"I am always interested in a story or a song," she replied. Lyric made a gesture to indicate it was time to regroup and allow those whose commitments were made to lead do just that. If today was the day to venture into the Dark Woods, then the more time they spent with She overhead, no matter how little light filtered in, was probably better than trying to find safe haven without her.

Pietro

"To be honest, Lady Bekkah, I did not exactly volunteer." He held up a hand, palm toward her.

"I did agree to join and assist with what you call your effort, but it was at the request of Miss Keiko. Upon further consideration, it seems a most worthy quest, one with which I am honored to be associated."

Pietro paused a moment, frowning in thought.

"It will take much in the way of planning, however, I am afraid and help from as many sources as can be recruited."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm
Hasday, the Seventh Day of Yrick

Bekkah, Cesare, Kadri, Keiko, Lyric, Pietro, Dominic Korie, Miss Emerald, and Miss Tomomi

It was a warm morning, and Her light was a soft caress on one’s shoulders. On the one hand, if there was a day to hear bad news, this was a most comforting one. On the other hand, it was not a day that should be darkened by painful memories.

“Mister Cesare...”

Miss Emerald spoke, her words light and quiet.

“I can’t imagine the hurt you feel. Do you know why? Because we don’t have Fathers. Or Mothers. Our first memories are of being broken over and over again, and the closest thing we have to parents are taskmasters that crafted us like tools, on anvils of Darksteel and forges of grim magic.

“I just survived. I didn’t know what it was like to live until I was rescued.

“You have lost much. I have taken more. If I were to dwell on that, make that my life, I’d be a twisted thing still living in the mines even though I’m out here beneath the warm sun.

“So we find the best and hang on to that. Being rescued. A pretty piece of lace. A day where you don’t have to kill anyone. Feeling the sun, seeing the sky, the taste of bread and cheese eaten with someone special.

“I am jealous. You have all these wonderful memories of those who have shared your life. A Father that cared for you. That is something I will never know. But if I did? I would find all the joy I could from them. Let them light my day. Let them be the shield against the darkness and hurt.

“Mice are very fragile creatures, Mister Cesare. But if kind memories can keep us from the Dark, they should do so for you too. You are much stronger than we are.”

In response to Miss Emerald’s words, Dominic simply broke off a piece of bread and reached back over his shoulder to share the tidbit with his companion. Miss Emmi just squeaked; it was a happy one as she reached up to accept a gift shared.

They practiced the simple philosophy Miss Emmi verbalized to Cesare: take joy in what you have, rather than sorrow in what you do not.

Breakfast would thus play out with conversation and food. A morning’s ablutions could be easily found. Just on the other side of the rock, there were a few small streams for such — these fields were crisscrossed with little creeks all the way to the Silk Creek Ravine. It took a little break from the rest to do so, but it was only for a short bit of time before one returned to the others.

Tomomi added a simple comment to Keiko’s, admittedly looking more than a little confused at their conversation, trying her very best to keep up.

“Lady always says comfort and friendship don’t grow on trees. You have to work to make that happen. And work is part of that work.”

Once Dominic had finished his meal, he closed his eyes and rested, leaning back against Miss Emerald. That lasted until the she lightly nudged his back with her elbow.

“What! I’m awake! I’m just thinking... thinking with my eyes closed!”

Dominic just stretched, looking at the folks gathered about. He nodded to Pietro, as the Squire spoke to Bekkah.

“I guess this is the ‘what do we do now?’ part of the morning. And it’s yours to decide. Do we go into the Forest? Is this indeed the day’s task? If so, how? I recommended a fleet of coracles, at least until we reach Home. But they’d have to be built, and I’d suggest getting started with it.”

He echoed something Kadri spoke.

“What is done is done. It is now time for the doing of new things.”

He cast a sly look then to the Minstrel and Card Reader.

“You know, it may be time to stop talking about watching ripples in the river and actually start making some, ja?”

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 20/11/16 18:10 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

The young woman with violet eyes and a red blaze through her black hair looked at the diminutive Noble and favored him with a mischievous smile.

“But m’lord, you of all people should know that when the storytellers of this great wide World happen upon one another, stories must be shared!”

Keiko chuckled as she winked at the Young Master, knowing from reputation alone that the happiness of his stories balanced the deficiency of his singing ability. And then she regarded the river in question, raising both eyebrows in skepticism. The look she gave Dommi was not the least bit subtle — she thought his brain might have been scrambled a little more than was healthy for any person.

“Riddle me this, Lord Tone-Deaf. How long will it take to make these coracles of yours and must they be made here? Would it take less time to travel in such peculiar conveyances to Home, or might we simply enjoy a nice walk through the Forest? I’ll grant you, of course, that we would need an escort. But bringing word to Broke that an escort is required would take less than a blink of your lazy eyes.”

She looked at Tomomi and then Emerald before addressing Dominic again. “I have seen Broke and Wrath move very fast indeed. I would surmise that the rest of the Pack is equally adept.

“And I am far more trusting of Broke and the other Guardians to keep us safe in the Forest than I am of a floating bathtub to protect me from those wicked fish of the Blackwater.”

Pietro

Pietro blinked slowly, looking from Bekkah to Dominic to Keiko and then back to the Korie lordling.

"I confess to confusion. Where is Home? Where dwell the evil taskmasters of the Forest Kin? Do we need to travel both into the Forest and the Blackwater Miss Keiko mentions?"

The squire looked back to the Lady of Attera to see if she had a reply to his earlier statement.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"I imagine that we are not going to be storming the gates and winning by massed force of arms, so the question is how we enter and what reaction we get as we come."

She looks to Emerald.

"So if we go through the forest and approach this place what else are we likely to find as we approach? Guards? Waypoints?"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 21/11/16 13:15 UTC.
Online Content
Bekkah to Pietro

She smiled at his words.

"Regardless, I am glad that you have chosen to lend your support."

"As far as to the logistics or how and where. well alas, I am but a simple healer. I only know that my Lady made it clear that granting the blessing she did was pointless unless this business was finished. I'm sure others will have the answers you seek. I hope that Renyard and some of the others from the forest come today to discuss this, for I am certain they felt my Lady's touch and they know what it means."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Before the others return, Cesare munching his apple listens to Emerald, thinking that he has never heard her say so much or to show so much wisdom. Maybe this is part of the change that Bekkah had asked for?

"I am sorry for the hurt that you and the others have suffered. And it has to stop, of that I am agreed."

He shakes his head quickly in denial.

"And no need to worry about me. I am Rhoni and we know life is all about meetings and partings, be they temporary or permanent. I only knew my father for a short while and was too young to remember much of him. My mother though.."

And he smiles.

"I have good memories of her which I will carry always. Your take on life - being happy for the things you have now - is a good one and not far from the Rhoni way. Let's see if we can increase the things you have to be happy about."

The others start to gather together and some planning starts to take place. He lets the others have their say, amused by Keiko's questions to the Lordling.

Pietro to Bekkah

The squire cocked his head to one side and gave the 'simple healer' a long, appraising look accompanied by a slowly widening smile.

"After experiencing the effects of your... intervention yesterday, Miss Bekkah, I doubt seriously that there is anything simple about your healing."

Pietro chuckled briefly.

"I look forward to learning from... Renyard you say his name is? From him and the others as the task thus far seems more than a little daunting to me."

Online Content
Bekkah

She shrugged.

"I currently seem to have my Goddess' favor."

"It does seem daunting. And if it were to be just up to us, then it would be folly. I think we'll have allies. Many of them. And many of them with quite a compliment of skills. We just have to wait for their leaders to show up, so we can plan."

"I find that having one of Rames Soldiers with us is a good sign. Should we be successful, this may go a long way to help people believe in our Gods and in us."

Pietro

He nodded and smiled to the healer.

"I look forward to discussing the situation and developing something in the way of tactics with them when they arrive."

Pietro's smile waned a little as she discussed the way the common folk viewed their respective deities.

"I agree. It was for the purpose of finding fulfillment in the true meaning of service to Lord Rames that I left Talantal and its political maneuvering to travel the lands these several years ago."

Online Away

Lyric

The minstrel girl was content to abide by the decisions of those Who Would Lead. She was not One Who Would Lead, not here anyway. She was a minstrel and might best serve those in that capacity to lighten their emotions and forget the stress and weariness of the long 'journey' ahead, wherever it was to take them. She had given her Oath and Oaths were binding. There was a special kind of magic in Oaths.

She listened to the interplay of conversations now, looking at the groups within the group and saw a kind of unity and trust being built. Still, like her people, she felt a bit of an outsider, an observer. Maybe that was the way of it, though she hoped it not be the case. But it was hard to break certain social constraints even with the willpower to do so.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Heatherson Farm
Hasday, the Seventh Day of Yrick

Bekkah, Cesare, Kadri, Keiko, Lyric, Pietro, Dominic Korie, Miss Emerald, and Miss Tomomi

“Aye-yup, Squire Pietro, it seems we are Dirkwood bound. The mines are inside a lake inside the Forest, where once an Imperial Prince and his retinue traveled and were ne’er seen again.”

Dominic looked down from his stone-side perch. It was unusual for the young master, to be looking down at most folks, at least on purpose.

“The only difference being that we are planning on being seen again. Well, at the least I am, you folks can make that decision for yourselves.

“As for Home, it’s about halfway between here and there. It’s where the Forest Folk live. Like the mines, Home uses water to protect itself from the Forest, it’s just a little less deep, a little more picturesque and they decided to build upwards instead of down.

“As for what we find there, we’ll just have to look and see, I suspect. The parts I saw were from the inside out. I don’t know if any of the Forest Folk travel close enough to the lake to say. Considering what happens there, I would not blame them if they stayed clear of the mines.

“Last...”

Dominic looked to Keiko and shrugged his shoulders.

“That which was missing had a lining of silver traced within its emptiness. The Forest could not see them. That’s correct, Emmi?”

His companion nodded her head and next to Keiko, so did Tomomi.

“Now the Forest can. See them, I suspect. Whether or not it now chooses to feast upon the Forest Folk, that will be one of the first things we need to discover. We know it don’t like folks like us. So just between me and you? I’d rather deal with fish than give Broke an excuse to rescue me from a hungry tree again.

“I’d never hear the last of that!”

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
J-J Vomact
J-J Vomact
Old Bridge, NJ, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,825
Posts140,429
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy