Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 18 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#859779 Sun 04/09/16 15:16 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
The poll in this post is broken. Polls can't be fixed, so I've reposted it with 50% more choice and votes. jk

Scroll down or click here for Q4 2016 Genre Survey.

To see the original post, click Show below.

Click to reveal...
What we voted for in Q2

Anyone notice anything unusual about that thread? huh The tumbleweed, the eerie silence? We had a strong showing of votes for Fantasy and Science-Fiction, but no discussion of the minutiae. Without your crucial feedback, I've been forced to rethink the polling categories and make them more nuanced. But hey, it's about time for a change anyway! wink

Since Q2 we have had a Post-Apocalypse game start, which was much in demand back in 2015, but not much in the classic Fantasy or hard Science-Fiction vein.

All of which has inspired me to use genres that more closely reflect the most popular RPG genres. See what you think. Since I'll be away on business, I've posted now and the poll will become active on 1 Oct.

Genre of Game
multiple choice, up to 2 choices
Fantasy (0%, 0 Votes)
Space Opera (0%, 0 Votes)
Urban Fantasy/Horror (0%, 0 Votes)
Hard Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk (0%, 0 Votes)
Historical Focus (0%, 0 Votes)
Soap (0%, 0 Votes)
Pulp Adventure (0%, 0 Votes)
Steampunk (0%, 0 Votes)
High Tech Thriller (0%, 0 Votes)
Other (Tell us what, OK) (0%, 0 Votes)
No Votes Yet
Voting on this poll ends: Thu 31/03/16 22:59 UTC
Last edited by nemarsde; Sat 05/11/16 21:26 UTC.
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Following on from the above, I've done an individual survey of the message games currently running on DreamLyrics and broken them down by RPG-style subgenre.

Code:
7 Urban Fantasy
6 Classic Fantasy
3 Fun Games
3 Supers
2 Dark Fantasy
2 Paranormal Investigation
1 Historical
1 Horror
1 Post-Apocalypse
1 Soap
1 Space Opera

That might give you an inkling what we like, or perhaps what we're missing but don't even realise we're missing. Who knows? But hopefully it will stimulate ideas!

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Interesting, thanks! grin

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Yes, so you see that Science Fiction winning out in Q2 might be for good reason--- Not much of it going on. Will Tim restart KLR, making it Space Opera 2?

At least with the categories this time around we might find out a bit more about people's Science Fiction craving.

Another observation I made regards the Pulp Adventure genre. Featuring games such as Hollow Earth Expedition, Spirit of the Century, and indeed default Savage Worlds, it seems to have waned in popularity in the marketplace. Likewise, Pulp Adventure messages games on DreamLyrics have also dropped off.

M
M
I don't know that it is =needed= (the change up), but it =IS= an interesting idea!

I will have to think on this one a lot more than on the previous polls <g> Thank goodness I have some time <wink>

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OK Nivek, tell us about your craving for a traditional fantasy game. wink

I like old style D&D type world like forgotten realms. It certainly doesn't have to be forgotten realms and it doesn't have to be D&D. In fact, a very low magic would be preferred so that you could play systemless.

I think of Lord of the rings where the magic is mostly in the items and not in spells other than Gandalf.

I've said it before, but a small party of say 4 is preferable even 3 Fighter, Thief\Ranger, cleric. Elves, dwarves, humans, halflings, nothing more exotic than that. A story where there is a quest and not just chasing treasure.

Not terribly interested in combat after combat, but some is certainly expected. Perhaps, each person needs to use their other skills to solve the quest.

I like the simplicity of that time frame. No sci-fi, no cell phones.

You know, old school smile

M
M
<heh heh heh> Lovely vision Nivek <g> I would =certainly= love that sort of game!!!

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Interesting. I've been planning what game I'll start in October. I was looking at Dungeon World, which could be described as the new old school. It's Basic D&D, using a modern, fiction-driven system and GMing techniques.

I'm still pondering on ways to make it distinct in tone from HHE, which had a fun, pulpy vibe, or TVS, which had a grim, end of the world feel.

Alternatively, I do have my collection of The One Ring RPG that has been gathering dust and is under threat of being sold off on eBay because I never play it. wink

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Woo hoo! Another Neil fantasy! grin Count me in!

I have the One Ring RPG. That would be interesting smile

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
"Another Neil fantasy" -Gypsy

We don't want to know what goes on in your sordid mind! lol

Well I'll keep thinking about it but make a decision after I'm back from the States. Who knows, I might find new inspiration!

We'll hold you to that... smile

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Count me as interested!

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Interested as well.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
What's the weather doing along the Oregon-Washington border at the moment, Pandemonium? wink

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USOR0275:1:US

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Portland is warmer than the coast is. Recommendation for anywhere on the coast is layers. Sometimes it can be nice, but it is almost always cooler than other places. For example, Portland in the 80s (25 C?] and the coast is in the 60s to low 70s.

That being said, you are coming at one of the best times of the year. It is still mostly dry (little rain, though every day is TBD) and still warmer than the winter.

For my spot look up the weather in Bandon Oregon. That will help you get a feel for the averages in September. A good windbreaker will go a long way. Rain can happen any time just isn't likely.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sounds like England!

I've been looking through Dungeon World and The One Ring, and bearing in mind what Nivek has said. A few things occurred.

Although it's a modern game, Dungeon World sets out to replicate the way RPGs were originally played, very fiction-driven because the rules were so basic. But in doing so, Dungeon World focuses on old school grognardia, the dungeon crawls of yesteryear, and isn't a great fit for other styles of adventure.

So I think we can rule out Dungeon World.

Although I'm always up for 13th Age, a message game is a unique opportunity to try new things so I'll rule that out too.

The One Ring is looking like a serious contender. My only concern is the game's emphasis on The Journey does tend to make for extended adventures, and I don't want to tie anyone into a 5 year commitment like with TVS. (And that was only a two-session published adventure!)

Hillfolk might also fit the bill, and it's another of my RPG books that I haven't used yet. However the setup for Hillfolk is very time-consuming. It might be rewarding, but it might also drain a message game's momentum before it's even started.

We shall see. Ultimately, the above is of far less interest to players than the pitch for the game itself, the tease as it were. blush

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Well, first, if the game is good then being tied into it for 5 years is a bonus, not a minus smile

But, you might be able to do a fast-forward from time to time and have some things occur off-camera and by DM fiat, so to speak, to shave time off.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
I agree with Zeim. I like a reason to want to come look for new posts and to post to a game. smile

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I decided against Hillfolk anyway. Mulling over its rules, there's too much of a meta-dialogue between the players to determine who has creative control at any given point... Too clunky for a message game. But it's character generation rules are still very useful and rules-independent, so I can use those regardless.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Is it just me, or is the poll above broken? Looks like the date's set to open on 1 Oct 2016 and close on 31 Mar 2016. Which isn't going to work! wink

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
blaze Setting a closing date for the poll in 2017 doesn't seem to have worked. (Didn't I make that mistake once before?) So here we are, for real this time, and to make up for the lapse I've added 50% more poll and votes!

1 poll, 15 choices, 3 votes, enjoy! eek

Genre of Game
multiple choice, up to 3 choices
Votes accepted starting: Thu 06/10/16 13:40 UTC
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
You know what, this is a much more interesting poll than with the usual categories, don't you think? I think it corresponds more closely to the published RPG genres, so it's easier to guess what games players might be interested in.

Would you agree with the following examples?

Classic Fantasy = D&D
Space Opera = Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
Dark Fantasy = Warhammer FRP
Hard Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk = Eclipse Phase
Urban Fantasy-Horor = The Dresden Files RPG
Post-Apocalypse = Atomic Highway
Horror = Dread
Supers = Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Paranormal Investigation = Night's Black Agents
Steampunk = Victoriana
Modern Thriller = Spycraft
Pulp Adventure = Hollow Earth Expedition
Soap = Hillfolk
Historical Focus = Aces & Eights
Other = Rifts, Maid, Iron Kingdoms

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Phoenix Prime
Phoenix Prime
Sanger Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,470
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy