Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argus, Asta, Phoenix Prime), 28 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 35 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 34 35
Zeim #862380 Fri 30/09/16 00:04 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

"Let me get this straight ... you are here to 'negotiate' with a dragon?"

MikeD
Zeim #862399 Fri 30/09/16 04:32 UTC
Lingo

He could negotiate, but Lumi was taking charge and who was the halfling to argue with a dragonborn? His eyes turned to the shutters above. Then he moved his mage hand up to one that was open, and then he shut it.

Zeim #862429 Fri 30/09/16 13:53 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

The shutter closes, but after a moment it reopens.

The man looks at Bern, "Not me. Nope. I am just here to lug things from place to place. No, that's what Favric wants." His eyes unconsciously flick back towards the building from which he emerged.

"Are you here to bargain with it too? Favric might want to talk to you."

Zeim #862851 Wed 05/10/16 16:43 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

This had gone better than he had hoped, by learning things rather than killing the man. However he didn't like where the discussion was leading. Yet he wasn't the spokesbeing for the group. So he remained silent letting the others decide what they wanted to do next. No matter the choice, their being here hidden had been exposed.

Zeim #862861 Wed 05/10/16 19:20 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

"Apparently Lingo has some competition", he said to the others with a sigh.

He turned back to their 'guest'. "So, care to tell us a bit about this Favric and how you happened to be here."

MikeD
Zeim #862940 Thu 06/10/16 15:05 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

"Favric? He's our leader. I'm here because this is where he was headed. I just lug stuff and keep watch. He's observing. Says he doesn't want to rush into meeting the dragon until he has a better idea of what it's like. Me? I'm in no rush."

He turns back towards the building he emerged from.

"Come. He'll want to meet you. I am sure he can tell you whatever it is you want to know."

He waves back towards the cracked shutters.

Zeim #862943 Thu 06/10/16 15:44 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He looked at the others. "What do you think", he asked.

MikeD
Zeim #862980 Thu 06/10/16 22:17 UTC
Ryssa

She frowned and chewed lightly on her lower lip for a moment as she considered the situation.

"I think we should meet this Favric."

Zeim #862997 Fri 07/10/16 00:07 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

Based on the lack of belligerence from their ... new friend, it =did= seem a plan worth following.

"Any dissents", he asked. "... except Lingo's of course", he added with a grin.

MikeD
Zeim #863011 Fri 07/10/16 02:52 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

He gave one flick of his tongue, which to his associates meant the same as a nod. He was willing. Besides if it came to a fight, having all of them in a tight space could be much easier.

Zeim #863238 Mon 10/10/16 15:33 UTC
Lingo

He scrunched his lips at the barb but kept them sealed. He was all for learning what he could before charging forward. This, in fact, could present him with opportunities later. When he grumbled, "alright", it was difficult to tell what he was thinking. That suited him fine.

Zeim #863249 Mon 10/10/16 17:06 UTC
M
M
[[ Ummmm ... are we ghosting for KenSeg? I know he was 'unavailable' recently, but not sure if that is still the case. ]]

MikeD
Zeim #863270 Mon 10/10/16 18:47 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

(OOC - We'll move ahead. Hopefully all is fine with Ken.)

Having decided to see who this Favric person is and what he wants the group follows the man as he heads back to the building he emerged from.

Reaching the door, he opens it and gestures for the party to go in.

Entering the building, the man enters behind you and closes the door. (Nep - I need to know if Lingo came out of hiding and joined the group or if he is remaining outside. He cannot sneak in unobserved. For now I am assuming he is hiding outside.)

Inside you can see this is one of the more intact buildings. It used to be a 2 room farmhouse. It is dusty and strung with cobwebs. In the entry room is a small stove, a table and 4 chairs. There is a door in the south wall that opens as you look at it and reveals a larger room with a bed and several bedrolls on the floor.

In the entry room there are several armed men with more in the room beyond. All are dressed in rough clothing except for one who seems to be wearing a bit more refined apparel.

On a board with several pegs on one wall hang a number of cloaks similar to the ones you saw the men wearing last night.

The better dressed man steps forward and looks you all up and down. "What have you brought us Olwyn?

"These people were in the town, Favric. I don't know what they're doing here, but when I told them why we're here they agreed to talk to you."

"You told them why we're here?"

"Ummm......., yes? Was I not supposed to?"

"Did you tell Venomfang too while you were at it?" The man Favric replies, clearly annoyed.

He then turns to you. "I'd say well met, but I did not expect to find anyone here. Not alive anyway. Might I ask your business?"

Attached Images
LMP-Thundertree-1.jpg (31.51 KB, 92 downloads)
Last edited by Zeim; Mon 10/10/16 18:48 UTC.
Zeim #863275 Mon 10/10/16 19:14 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

A bigger group than he had expected. This could be a challenging fight if it came down to that. Good, he liked a challenge. The dragon born remained silent though, letting the more eloquent speak for them as a group.

Zeim #863282 Mon 10/10/16 21:33 UTC
M
M
[[ FWIW, being a bit suspicious of this group, Bern would have shaken his head in the 'negative' if he notices Lingo headed to join, hoping he will get the idea and remain as their 'ace in the hole' ... if needed. ]]

<Bern>

He watched the interchange between the fellow that was apparently 'Faveric' and their guide, 'Olwyn' with some interest. It was clear that Faveric was ... uncomfortable. But based on when he knew of their 'mission', that was understandable.

He stepped forward. "We had been 'passing through', but we ran into a gentleman who expressed concern about some 'nasties' in the area. We ... dealt with the arachnid infestation and were wondering if we should tackle the 'reptile' problem as well. Now, I would ask you the same", he said conversationally.

MikeD
MikeD #863291 Mon 10/10/16 23:28 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Balthazar

He put his back against the wall and kept his eyes open any sign of a double cross.

Zeim #863301 Mon 10/10/16 23:59 UTC
Ryssa

Her arrow still nocked, Ryssa loosened the strain on her bowstring and angled the bow and arrow toward the floor as she moved to stand alongside Balthazar against the wall, allowing Bern and Luminmorn to form the lead against their potential opponents.

Zeim #863374 Tue 11/10/16 19:25 UTC
FWIW, tiny Lingo can hide behind his allies so he could have gone in unobserved if he rolls well enough. Also, this stuff about him keeping the door open depends on the kind of door. It might be something to disarm the latch or closing mechanism. I will give you a roll (slight of hand) to do so.

Lingo Sleight of hand (keep the door open)
Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 18

Lingo
He stays outside, the party's contingency plan, but uses his mage hand to open the door a crack so he can see what's going on. Once it's slightly ajar, he uses his mage hand to find a stone or small branch to wedge between the door and it's hinge to keep it open.

Zeim #863382 Tue 11/10/16 21:12 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Will give it to you, but for future reference note that the Mage Hand has a force limit of 10 pounds so in most cases he cannot pull something, like a door or a window shutter, out of the hands of someone who is holding it. Not only does it not generate enough force for that, that could also be interpreted as an 'Attack'.)

Here's a reasonable explanation for Mage Hand Legerdemain from 'Role Playing Games Stack Exchange' Q&A Site:

Mage Hand Legerdemain

Starting at 3rd level, when you cast mage hand, you can make the spectral hand invisible, and you can perform the following additional tasks with it:
• You can stow one object the hand is holding in a container w orn or carried by another creature.
• You can retrieve an object in a container worn or carried by another creature.
• You can use thieves’ tools to pick locks and disarm traps at range.

You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Perception) check.

In addition, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to control the hand.

"But how does the rogue know its limits?"

The mage hand spell and the Mage Hand Ledgerdemain description give the general idea. Past that, the player describes what he or she wants to do, and the the DM narrates the results.

"Do they mentally KNOW it's location?"

That is not specified in the rules, so up the the DM. I rule it that the rogue just knows where it is.

Another interpretation might be the rogue can "see" an outline, like an invisible item in a cartoon is sometimes depicted.

"Can they feel through it?"

There's nothing in the rules that explicitly says they can feel through it, but the rules imply there is enough sensory feedback to accomplish the tasks listed in the description. I allow the rogue enough sensory feedback to accomplish the task, but not enough sensory feedback to accomplish something very different from the tasks listed.

"If so, does it extend to all senses of touch like temperature, pressure, texture?"

Same for these.

"I know it can't pass through objects but could they send it through a window or chimney and open a door locked on the other side?"

Maybe, depending on the situation and the DM's interpretation. It would be reasonable for the DM to give a significant additional difficulty rating or to make it several separate tasks and checks.

"Pick someones pocket from the opposite side of a busy room?"

Yes. Or rather, the rogue can try. Increased DC or disadvantage might apply, especially if vision is obscured. Or maybe it is several different checks. Maybe one to even find the pocket. Maybe the rogue gets the wrong item. It shouldn't be really easy to pick a pocket that you can't even see, but maybe not impossible. The risk of the target catching on that something is going on should be significant.

"Can they disarm people since a weapon isn't in a container?"

No, that's an attack.

"Steal a ring of keys?"

As in pick it up and carry it? Yes. As in remove them from a container? Yes. Those are all within the description.

In general, it is easy to interpret MHL very broadly, and there is nothing wrong with that. The DM has to decide where the limit is, based on what sort of campaign you and your players want. The rule of fun is always a good one. But it is also worthwhile to keep balance in mind. The Arcane Trickster has lots of other features besides MHL.

Imagine this scenario. The rogue is in a jail cell. The rogue knows the guard is sleeping around the corner and saw that the keys are on the guard's belt and earlier saw where the chair was and what the belt and keys looked like. "I use my MHL to get the keys!" "You can't even see the guard, you use MHL to feel around. Roll a perception check." "16!" "It takes you quite a while to feel where the keys are, but you also hear the guard moving in his sleep. Maybe you're tickling him. You try to remove the keys. Make a sleight of hand roll with disadvantage." "Rats, 12!" "That won't do it. You can't get the keys off. You've used up 8 rounds, you've got two tries left." "Arrgh! 8!" "Not even close. Suddenly the guard isn't making any more noise." "Did he wake up?" "How would you know?" "Try again or not, the spell's about to lapse." "21!" "Seriously, that was with disadvantage?" "Oh, right. Oh baby, yes! 20!" "You feel the keys lift off the guard's belt, and they come floating around the corner. They're within two feet of the jail cell, and the spell ends, and the keys fall to the floor. It sounds really loud. The guard yells what the!" "I reach out and grab the keys and hide them!"

To me this makes it fun. The guard is sleeping, but the rogue can't see the keys. The MHL isn't an auto-win, but the rogue gets to use it. PCs are hard to keep in jail, after all.

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 11/10/16 21:14 UTC.
Zeim #863887 Mon 17/10/16 18:39 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

Favric looks at you appraisingly. "It depends on what you mean by deal with? Did you have some sort of bargain you wanted to strike with Venomfang? Perhaps we can work together then?"

Zeim #863912 Mon 17/10/16 21:05 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

"It was presented to us as a 'pest control' problem to be 'solved'. What are you planning", he asked in return.

MikeD
Zeim #863975 Tue 18/10/16 17:30 UTC
Zeim Offline OP
(Buffalo)
OP Offline
(Buffalo)
DM

"Pest?" Favric sputters. "Dragons are not pests! They are noble creatures."

He calms down, and a sugary sweetness enters to his voice.

"But perhaps we can help each other? I am here to talk to Venomfang. After I finish talking to him, you can do what you wish. We can help." He gestures to himself and his men.

"Besides, at least he'll be out in the open where you can see him in order for him to talk to me."

Zeim #863981 Tue 18/10/16 17:46 UTC
ooc: It doesn't change the fact that Lingo attempts to open the door a crack. Is someone still holding it? It wasn't clear from the last GM post. If he is, he might have felt the hand yank on the door.

Yes, I said I'd give it to you. Door is open a slight crack.

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 18/10/16 18:08 UTC.
Zeim #863985 Tue 18/10/16 17:50 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Luminmorn

His eyes rove the group to count numbers and arms. To his mind, even though he believes in life, these men might have to be put down to avoid future death. Of course if they could be used to set up the dragon? That might work out, though the dragon born didn't trust the man who's tone changed so easily.

Zeim #864003 Tue 18/10/16 19:05 UTC
Ryssa

Ryssa did not like the man's tone and did not trust his intentions. She caught Luminmorn glancing from man to man and she nodded mentally. A good idea...

The cleric's gaze moved to the other members of her party, wondering how they were gauging the man's offer, her eyes ending back on Favric.

"Just what do you intend to discuss with... Venomfang?"

Last edited by Exeter; Tue 18/10/16 19:06 UTC.
Page 23 of 35 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 34 35

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,828
Posts140,452
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy