Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 7 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Wolf #862538 Sat 01/10/16 02:38 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
[happily Tomomi is shy!]

Wolf #862541 Sat 01/10/16 03:17 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

The Rhoni watched, and the Rhoni listened.

Several times, she blinked quickly — as though her sight might be occluded by something. Yet there was no sign that there might be tears in those violet eyes.

When Lyric finished speaking, Keiko picked up her Deck and held it briefly against her heart. It was part of her usual ritual, true. But Lyric’s words seemed to bring even greater import to the wisdom of the Ancestors and the accumulated knowledge of the Cards. Then she tucked them back inside her tunics and studied this new girl for a few breaths more.

She watched the healer interacting with Lyric then. Listened again with her heart. And then looked at Tomomi.

“You are worthy,” she whispered. Then she paused for one breath and then a second. “You must go back to Home for dinner, ja?” she asked Tomomi. She didn’t want her friend to go hungry but wasn’t sure Missus Miller was ready — not quite yet — to have one of the Forest Kin at the dinner table. And she had already noted how difficult it was for most of them to eat while wearing their full cloaks.

She glanced at the healer and the minstrel again before calling down the ladder.

“Missus Miller, ma’am? Will thou have room at thine table for Lady Bekkah of Attera and my friend Lyric the minstrel? We’ll make do with Jerris’ stew if a burden so many would be.” She smiled as she imagined the conversation Husband and Wife would have regarding her question. “Lady Bekkah already requested songs from Miss Lyric. If she’ll be agreeable and there be songs we know in common, mayhap we can sing thee one or two.”

While waiting on Missus Miller’s reply, Keiko looked directly at Lyric... almost as if she was trying to memorize the other girl’s features.

“You have much wisdom in you, Miss Lyric, that even some elders do not possess. I hope the currents of the World and the journeys we are making allow us to walk for a time in friendship.” She nodded, almost to herself. “I would like having two friends. I’ve never had two friends before. At least, not at one time.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf #862604 Sun 02/10/16 05:20 UTC

Lyric

Lyric had extended her hands to Bekkah in the hopes that the intimate gesture would serve to reinforce the intention in her words. So when Bekkah did so and responded positively, Lyric felt that a sense of purpose had been met without intruding upon the healer's dignity.

"We all have gifts... Mine are words. If you find solace in them, and they ease your mind and heart, then I am gratified to have been heard."

Keiko spoke quietly to the Child of the Forest while Lyric gathered herself to allow Bekkah room to move more freely in the space should she choose. And then the Rhoni girl shouted down below, to the Good Woman of the Mill.Her own name was mentioned and Lyric bowed her head a little and nodded despite the question of her willingness to play was not directed directly to her.

"It would hardly be a passing kindness to any in our company were we to travel together and not be ... friends ... so, Friends it shall be. I now have two myself... Two who have declared themselves such. I hope to be friendly to all I meet, and hope they do same in return. But I would not presume to claim any relationship with anyone were it not spoken of their own lips and breath in the offering first. I know I am a curiosity. Even among my own peoples this has been said to me."

Wolf #862630 Sun 02/10/16 15:53 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Are we all not curiosities to those who have never met us? And is it not the nature of Wisdom to remain curious about all that is around us, even those we might know well? To be a curiosity is a passing thing... to be curious is a thing that lingers a lifetime.”

The Rhoni girl shrugged just a little.

“Or so I would hope it is for me. And it would please me greatly, friend Lyric, to share my songs with you. And if you wish to share your songs with me, I would accept such a gift with humble gratitude. But please know it is not a thing I would expect or demand.”

Colors and music... these were two things that, for Keiko, made the journey of walking the World even more joyful than the genuine wonder of the journey itself. How delightful were these currents that brought her path to intersect with both Tomomi’s and Lyric’s paths?

And so different were they, too! So far away from her Family, her Caravan... were the Ancestors watching over her more closely because she was among the Gaija and reminding her to always see the wonder and beauty of the World? Perhaps.

Wolf #862636 Sun 02/10/16 16:33 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
Keiko’s Loft
Restday, the Fifth Day of Yrick

Lyric, Keiko, Bekkah, and a quiet Tomomi

“It’s not... it’s not whether you can do it or not, Miss Bekkah. That... that doesn’t really matter, well it does, but it doesn’t, but it does...”

The little person kept her head down, sitting close to Keiko, looking at a spot on the floor just a little bit in front of her pooled tunics and travel cloak. The hints of her clothing could now be seen — a worn but sturdy patchwork carefully stitched together. Every so often, when she shifted, her cuffs peeked out, and they were trimmed in the finest lace.

Lace finer than any seen in the mainland courts and other places.

“...just that you would be doing the asking, that is something more than anyone had ever done for us ever before.

“...mebbee tomorrow we will be real people.

“...mebbee we won’t. But we’ll still be alive. I’ll still have a name and someone who makes real pretty colors from my bits of stone and chalk and flowers.

“But someone tried for us.

“Miss Lady and Miss Soft won’t let anyone forget that. It will help lots when we get lost and can’t figure out what we are anymore.”

Tomomi’s soft, light-toned words were a tumble. They were not as fancy or as articulated as those of the minstrel and the card reader. She was at heart a very simple... whatever she was.

However, as the conversation turned to dinner, the little one literally squeaked.

And then hugged herself.

“Oh.”

She spoke just one syllable and then was silent for a moment.

“I... I... I... wouldn’t mind staying up here. I don’t make any noise and won’t bother anybody. I just... I just... well there are some things worth being a lil’ hungry for. Not that I eat much being what I am. I’m not inviting myself, that’s more than anyone could expect, but I would be happy waiting.

“It’s not like they don’t know what we are.”

She swallowed and started to stand up.

“If... if... if you don’t want me here anymore, I understand...

From below a different sort of discussion was going on. A typical one between a husband and a wife.

“...cor, now she askin’ for her friends to be eatin’ with us. That’s more plates and more food and it’ll be loud, and it will be just like we got the relations over...”

“...dear.”

“Fine, fine, fine... don’t be expecting me to talk and carry the conversation. And I will be takin’ no brook that the stew is spicy or not spicy, not care what the weather is like in Talantal or who plays horses an’ castle better.”

“...dear.”

“Mebbee we can add a few pennies to the lassie’s rent.”

“...DEAR!

“Fine... fine... fine...”

In the end, there was a call up from the main room below, from the family matriarch.

“...so, how many places should we be setting?”

Wolf #862640 Sun 02/10/16 17:01 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She reached out to her small and beautiful friend.

“My dear little one, you have great worth, and I was thinking of your shy ways. I’m happy to have you stay as long as you’d like to stay.”

And when Missus Miller called up again, she didn’t even hesitate to ride this wave.

“Just the three setting, ma’am, but if thee might set thine extra stool beside mine and if thee will not mind the goodness of having a Small Kin at thine table, Miss Tomomi is not a hungry sort, and I’m happy to share my meal with her.

“And Miss Lyric looked deliriously happy at the smell of thine stew when we came in, ma’am, so I’ll guess thine offerings will be met with no complaints.”

The Rhoni looked at her companions and grinned before adding, “And if thee be wanting an extra penny, it’s a fair trade for thine hospitality and delicious meal.”

She hadn’t heard the entirety of the conversation between the miller and his wife, but she had heard enough of their banter over the past two months to guess at what she hadn’t heard.

“Are you used to climbing down ladders with your cloak on, Tomomi? Oh, no matter! You just follow Miss Lyric and Lady Bekkah, and if you get snagged up... I’ll catch you! You’re not so heavy, you know.”

Wolf #862781 Tue 04/10/16 15:05 UTC

Lyric

Lyric waited for leave to exit the room again. She was newly arrived and a guest in the mill, so it wasn't her place to lead the way down the ladder, nor to the miller's eating table. Some place in the middle of the four of them would be good. Bekkah or Keiko would have to go first. Last wouldn't be bad either, but perhaps that was reserved for Tomomi at this point.

"If it is an inconvenience then I need not trouble anyone. I still have to retrieve my belongings. Pietro was watching them and he may have left them at the stable or maybe he has them... wherever he is now. No matter though, since I haven't earned my way or paid my keep, it wouldn't be proper to impose upon people. I have some hard tack and jerkey and a few coins as well."

Wolf #862804 Tue 04/10/16 19:43 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

“Mister Miller has decided that you may join us for dinner. Missus Miller has agreed. Done is done,” she said brightly.

Keiko stood and smoothed out her tunics.

“After dinner, I would be happy to help you locate your belongings and your friend Pietro, Lyric. He could be up at the tower, he could be down with the horses. One of us can go up, the other down, and we will find him! Then your belongings will be returned to you and you will know the location of your friend.”

The Rhoni started down the ladder, but paused for a moment to respond to Lyric’s last statement.

“All the small kindnesses we do for one another always come back to a balance. Today, the Millers will feed you and tomorrow you will find a way to give a kindness to them or to one of the other folks here at Waverider’s Watch. You may not know what that might be in this moment, but you will know in the proper moment.”

She smiled at Lyric and Bekkah and Tomomi. “Missus Miller does not care to discuss the weather, but she is interested in tales from the world beyond this small place. Even if she pretends she isn’t interested.” She winked and then chuckled as she headed down the ladder. She trusted the others to sort themselves out and get themselves downstairs with minimal fuss.

Well, Tomomi wouldn’t bother with fussing, that was probably a safe bet.

Kel #862831 Wed 05/10/16 11:05 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Mill

Lyric, Keiko, Bekkah, Tomomi, and the Miller family

Down below, in the Miller’s one main room, there was a long table that had a simple dinner prepared. However, where some families might have a plethora of chairs, here there were only two — for the Master and Missus, of course.

But there was a bench that had been drawn up — enough for three if they were close — and a half barrel flipped bottom side up that could serve as a proper stool for the fourth.

“I’m not interested.”

Those were the gruff words heard as they climbed down; Missus Miller of course.

“...dear.”

His answer; to which she just replied in her terse manner.

“Fine. Stories I will... tolerate...”

The three had made it down to the base of the ladder. Then it was Tomomi’s turn, coming down in her own quick manner, her patchwork skirts flaring a bit when she came to rest next to Keiko. The Forest Kin interrupted Missus Miller’s words, the goodwife then turning to her husband.

“...what! Do you see what that is! And they think I’m supposed to feed...”

Mister Miller's answer was unexpected.

“...dear.”

Or perhaps it wasn’t.

“...but!”

The husband just looked back to his wife.

“...fine... fine... fine... I swear by Her Light, you have the softest heart on the mainland. You’d let a bloody Easterner in here if she was a she and it was rainin’, and she was all soaked and looking like a drowned rat...”

Missus crossed her arms and gave both Keiko and Tomomi a stern, very stern look.

“Ye should be thankin’ thine stars I ain’t gonna let anythin’ or anyone say I ain’t hospitable. So sit thine selves down and enjoy thine dinner. Ye got no choice now, ja?”

And with that she grumped her way back to the hearth and started to dole out dinner. Tonight it was more than just stew; there was a beast of some kind that had been roasted and surrounded by potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables. Master Miller silently sliced up the meat into family-sized servings, while Missus Miller made sure there were bread and cheeses for all.

Of course, Bekkah got the half barrel, being a lady and all... meaning Lyric would then have to share the bench with Keiko and the Forest Kin. This was a very different meal for Lyric; it felt unique. Something that would only happen... once.

Tomomi sat quietly next to Keiko, selecting a piece of bread and a half a potato for her dinner, making sure she did nothing to gain the goodwife’s ire.

It didn’t work.

Missus Miller crossed her arms and glared.

And then sighed. She walked over and made sure Tomomi had a nice slab of meat, carrots, onions, and a whole potato, too. All covered with gravy.

“Cor. You are a small little thing and only skin and bones.

“Eat up. Donnae be shy. Thou art this contrary lass’ guest, which means ye are now my guest too...

“...and no one goes hungry at my table.”

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 05/10/16 14:52 UTC.
Wolf #862844 Wed 05/10/16 13:57 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She settled herself on the bench, at the end nearest Missus Heatherson — she took some getting used to; often her kindness was overshadowed by her gruff nature. She patted the seat beside her as she smiled at Tomomi, leaving the end of the bench closest to Mister Miller for Lyric. As his wife had rightly pointed out, he was quite likely the most kindhearted man on all of the Heartwood. While he might be mostly silent throughout the meal, he truly was a good man and would do nothing but accept Lyric’s mannerisms and unique outlook on life.

“Yes, ma’am,” she said to Missus Miller. “Although the Ancestors say that while the stars look down on us all, none of them are truly ours. It is said that many are the children of the Sun, and thus more suited to be keepers of those who follow Her teachings, such as Lady Bekkah’s sister.

“And I’m sure I would only be able to speak honestly of your hospitality — I have been more welcomed by you and your kind husband than anyone outside the Caravans.”

Kel #862946 Thu 06/10/16 16:19 UTC
Bekkah

"I know you all make perfect sense. My Goddess knows my heart and the cause is good. Certainly one I believe with all my heart. But still, I want to make sure that I leave no doubt in my prayers. This is a first for me. I take great care in all that I do, so I certainly want to give this my best."

They then proceeded to dinner. She heard the 'discussion' between husband and wife. It was an odd thing for her to hear. She'd been invited to sup with countless families in her time and their invitation had been far friendlier. She knew the reason for it, but still it wasn't something she was used to.

To the husband and wife she spoke in her soft tones, the same tone she used to calm the sick and injured.

"Your hospitality is much appreciated. I'd offer my help with anything you might need now or in the future, but I know most folk would prefer to never need my help." she said with a smile.

After tasting the food, she smiled again.

"This is marvelous Missus Miller."

Throughout the meal, she'd talk to the others at the table, but as far as Tomomi was concerned, she acted as if the poor girl was as normal as anybody else at the table."

Nivek #863000 Fri 07/10/16 00:54 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Mill

Lyric, Keiko, Bekkah, Tomomi, and the Miller family

The Miller’s wife made sure they all had a proper dinner before she sat down with her own helpings. For Lyric there was a curious gaze.

“I bet ye ain’t from around here either, ja? What is it now? We never get visitors for years – well except for the Young Master and his lassie. But in a few handful of days, we get a lone Rhoni girl — fine, ja, Keiko’s been here a while — a passel of imperious types from up the southern trail, and then two more who dinnae leave when the Market ended.

“Must be some sort of stormwind kicking up.”

She then blinked, holding up her hands.

“Oh, I dinnae mean thee, Lady Bekkah, you’ve been right nice and not a bit imperious!”

But then she caught a hint of the conversation between Bekkah and Keiko.

“Cor...”

Missus Miller looked between her four guests, her attention returning to the Atteran.

“Are you going to be doing something for those... those Forest Folks?”

She tilted her head and crossed her arms.

“Well, don’t that take everything. Look, Husband... there’s a lass both softer in the head and in her touch than ye.”

To which, from Mister Miller, came the expected reply.

“...dear.”

Again Missus Miller sighed.

“I guess ye really be a Kind One, to be helpin’ those forest shadows. Fine... fine... fine... eat up too. I guess, despite all, if’n I had a choice between cursed neighbors and those blessed, I’d be a stupid woman to not hope for the latter.”

Tomomi whispered a very quiet reply at that.

“Me too.”

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 07/10/16 00:55 UTC.
Wolf #863151 Sun 09/10/16 04:25 UTC

Lyric

Sitting at the table, with Master Miller to her right and Tomomi to her left, she looked down the row to Keiko, who also sat on the same bench on their side, and she watched her as she spoke with the Missus... Missus Miller. Then she looked across the table as Bekkah spoke, but stealing glances at both the Missus and the Master and even Tomomi. This was all a wonderment to her. The very idea that she would get to enjoy her meal with so many others was certainly a new experience for her. Oh she had been to feasts and such... big events and things like that, but this was different. This was sitting with friends, as though they were a family. She paused at that notion because it gave her a feeling of contentment and she wanted that to last.

But the Missus directed a question to her and she blinked once, twice and looked at the matronly woman at the one end of the table for a moment before responding. Her bright eyes and smile didn't fade as she tipped her head slightly to the side to look away from the woman shyly.

"I would suppose I am not. I have been walking for many days along the trail that keeps close to the forest. But before that, I came from my home... Kethy's Woods. I have never been away from there before, so I really don't know how far I have walked to get here... But I promise you I did not see any storms or storm winds along the way."

Wolf #863194 Sun 09/10/16 15:31 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She knew the Caravans came through each year, so it was likely Missus Miller only referred to folks who stayed beyond the coming and going of any particular Family. Her own... well, they traveled the Road East and the passes in the Black Mountains suitable for their wagons. Most Families traded with the East and Kh’Lhy’Ra was a popular destination. It was, after all, one of the prettiest places Keiko had seen — assuming one paid little attention to the thousand princes of the Thousand Towers. But some Families remained primarily on High Tarn.

Sitting here with the Millers and her two friends and Lady Bekkah was...

Keiko blinked. This was so very different from sitting around a fire when the Caravan stopped for the night. No aspect of it could be considered the same, and yet it had the comfortable feel of two Caravans meeting on the road. For all her bluster, Missus Miller had made her feel welcome from her first day here. And now, in her own gruff and sharp manner, she was doing the same for Tomomi and Lyric.

It was a new thing she was learning here at Waverider’s Watch while staying with the Millers — that the Gaija, the not-Rhoni, could be every bit as welcoming and kind as Rhoni meeting on the road for the first time. She ducked her head and looked at Tomomi beside her and Lyric on her other side.

This was a rare wave she road and Keiko recognized that. One could never command the currents, but one could choose the waves that approached. This was a propitious wave that she had chosen.

Wolf #863217 Mon 10/10/16 02:19 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Waverider’s Watch
The Mill

Lyric, Keiko, Bekkah, Tomomi and the Miller family of two

Dinner with the Millers was definitely a homespun affair. The conversation was not as heavy, but it was definitely, like the bread and cheeses and the rest, very filling. For lyric, however, there was a very curious answer,

“Lassie, the worst storms come on the brightest of days …

“ … and the deadliest are not born from Nature.”

That actually got a small nod from their other guest, the small Tomomi.

“ … that’s how we came to be.”

It was the littlest of whispers. Followed by another one, however.

“That’s why Renyard and Lady say we have to be kind you know. To make up for that. Otherwise we are just what everyone says we are.”

Tomomi then paused.

“Fine. So Broke’s idea of kindness is a little rough around the edges.”

Rameday, the Sixth Day of Yrick

Sunset came quickly to the Mill, like the rest of Waverider’s Watch. Bekkah had no worries for where to sleep; a place before the hearth was made and blankets shared. She was a Lady of Attera; the followers of Lady Attera and those who took up Lord Rames’ path always could find welcome. Kindness and protection – qualities enforced by a God and Goddess - carried more weight than any proclaimed words of man, no matter how loudly.

For Lyric, there was a bit of floor offered; be it in the main room or up in Keiko’s attic apartment. Upstairs would be more private, but in the main hall, the noise and presence of the mill’s big wooden gears were less apparent.

But even so, it was a dull rhythm in the background; like wind through trees, like surf against beach, calming in its own way.

And Kieko, cute but chaste, had a companion. One accustomed to window benches and a closeness of family.

Morning came, with Her light coming through the open dormer window. From here there was an excellent vantage over the fog covered village. The rock was like an island in the gray, at least until the wind swirled and the sun started to burn away the morning mist. Downstairs breakfast was waiting, Bekkah’s rest disturbed by Missus Miller’s baking; bread and morning pastries. Pastries stuffed with blueberries bought at yesterday’s market. Thus Bekkah awoke to delicious scents and a bounty of what her apprentice would call muffles.

For Lyric, it was a new day in a new place, and for the first time in her travels it was one that started with company, with the bustling about of folks waking and preparing for the day. There was a strange franticness – perhaps frantic was a bad word – but it was certainly a lot of activity in a relatively small amount of morning.

For Keiko it was comfortably like yesterday morning. It was interesting, that she awoke with friends. These were strange but warm currents that had brought her here. However, between Missus Miller’s words and the cards it felt like fair weather preceding worse.

For Bekkah, once breakfast was complete, she had a promise to fulfill.

Wolf #863235 Mon 10/10/16 14:11 UTC

Lyric

Lyric sat upon a rock outcropping near the mill house. She angled her feet over the edge and kicked them freely as she hummed a few tunes to herself. The running stream that turned the big wheel, that turned those gears inside, provided her a comforting backdrop as she looked out across the open land. The sky was only now just beginning to grow light in the east, or lighter, since there was so much misty haze and fog. She had been up fora little while now and since she slept on the floor of the mill's lower level she was able to draw up the cover that the Missus had offered her when it was revealed she had nothing but the clothes she was wearing, not even her cloak, to cover herself for the night.

This quiet time of peace and solace when the Heartwood was just awakening to Her arrival was perfect for meditations and contemplations.

Somewhere in the midst of that, she heard then saw a single figure walking up the switchback stairs but he passed by the Mill House and continued up to the tower at the top. Given she was sitting out of the way it was no surprise the man either didn't notice her or didn't recognize her what with the blanket pulled about her and over her head. She wasn't sitting near the stairs path either. As memory served, he had called himself Mikal, but she didn't really know him and it seemed improper to greet him as a friend might when their introduction had been so brief.

Lyric returned to her own thoughts and the enjoyment of the sounds of birds and running water. She would have to find Ser Pietro to collect her pack. She needed a change of clothing and a few things to freshen up. But that would come in the moments allotted to it.

Maybe today would be a good day to pick some new flowers for to make a new circlet wreath...

Wolf #863241 Mon 10/10/16 15:49 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
{{OOC: Sidekick No. 2 is passing this round.}}

Kel #863266 Mon 10/10/16 18:17 UTC
Bekkah

She rose with a purpose that morning. She knew what she had to do and she knew exactly what she wanted to say. The young girl, Lyric had the right of it and she knew it. All her life, she'd spoken and acted from her heart. She did not overly concern herself with politics and classes. She did what she thought was right.

After breakfast, but still early in the day, she headed out to a spot on a slight rise. She sat down cross legged, her robes spreading out around her facing the rising sun. Anyone about in the town this early would see her there, a solitary figure with yellow hair over white robes.

She held her hands before her in her lap. Not that anyone was close to enough to hear her words, but she spoke in her soft, gentle voice as if speaking to a friend. She spoke for a minute, slow and careful in the words she used.

She finished speaking and simply closed her eyes, letting her warmth spread over her face then suddenly her eyes opened in wonder. Not fear, not surprise, but more like she was being given a rare and wondrous gift. Her blue eyes were bright and glistened with tears. Happy tears. Anyone seeing her face at that moment would know that the was a person experiencing joy like few have ever felt.

She spoke reverently, her eyes open, looking upward. This time her voice was a bit louder.

"Thank you my lady. I am honored by your belief in me. I believe I know what must be done. I have friends who will not stand for such suffering. Good people, some of whom have already felt your warmth. I shall not let this gift be wasted. I promise you, although I suspect you already knew that." she finished with a bright smile.

She stood gracefully, despite feeling an intense weariness. Requests to ones Goddess such as this, took something out of the requestor. She knew this and she accepted it willingly, but it was draining. She straightened her robes, and turned towards the inn. Anyone seeing her might see the glow of joy that she felt surround her. She made her way to town, searching for Keiko and Tomomi, whom she expected to see at her side.

[ooc: If someone was close enough to hear her, let me know and I'll add what she actually said.]

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 12/10/16 13:51 UTC.
Wolf #863405 Wed 12/10/16 01:51 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She woke early, before dawn or even false dawn, and wondered why. It was usually the breaking of the day as She rose above the eastern edge of the world that woke Keiko. She saw through the window that the morning would be foggy as she raised a hand to brush at whatever was tickling her face.

And brushed her hand over Tomomi’s short hair instead.

Keiko giggled softly and whispered close to her friend’s ear.

“It’s nearly morning. I would love to show you something almost as incredible as color! It’s so marvelous in the fog!”

Amid soft giggles and whispers and even quieter steps across the loft floor, both Rhoni and Forest girl were dressed and appropriately cloaked and ready to face the gray predawn.

Bekkah and Lyric still slept, and Missus Miller was just putting her muffins in her oven when Keiko and Tomomi came down from the loft. The Miller’s wife pretended to be gruff, and Keiko pretended it was true when she wrapped some bread and cheese in a cloth and whispered to the woman. The words caused the goodwife to shake her head and roll her eyes, but in the end, she would not disturb the sleep of those who still slumbered. She would have said it was because no one who be able to say she didn’t provide hospitality; Keiko knew that she was kinder than she pretended to be.

Two small figures slipped out the door of the mill’s living quarters to start down the rock. Keiko held Tomomi’s hand, for she had not ever walked up these steps on a gray morning such as this... with a thick blanket of fog surrounding them. She found the spot she was looking for — she would be able to see the shelter for the cows and horses if not for the fog, but once they settled on the rock, they could not be viewed from the mill... or even from the steps until one was very nearly upon them.

Keiko grinned at Tomomi and pulled out her ocarina and blew her warm breath over it before playing a short and simple tune.

“Do you hear how the fog catches the sound and turns it all warm and soft? It reminds all the places I’ve been, and it reminds me of home. Here! This is a tune that sounds like a lullaby in the fog.”

The Rhoni played a longer and more complicated air. It was a familiar enough one among the Caravans, and often played much faster, with more instruments, for dancing.

“I’ll play it again after She rises and clears the fog so you can see the difference.”

She had already risen, though the fog was still wispy and light as they talked, as they ate their bread and cheese, as Keiko spoke softly about music and color and how they were so very much alike for all their differences.

Of course, they noted — in the quiet of a few peaceful moments of silence — that someone was coming down the steps. And because no one passed them by, Keiko thought it was either Lyric or Lady Bekkah also enjoying the vantage of the various outcroppings to appreciate the view of fields and Forest.

And when she realized it was the Healer’s soft words that flowed through the air like a delicate perfume — indistinct but holding goodness and kindness nonetheless — Keiko sighed and put an arm around her friend’s shoulders.

“She’s so very generous, isn’t she, Tomomi? I like her.”

Kel #863409 Wed 12/10/16 10:43 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Tomomi

Outside, Tomomi wrapped herself in her travel cloak, all hooded and in shadow. On the one hand, it made her a small wraith slipping through the fog, just as mysterious as the wisps of gray. On the other hand, the cloak was warm and comfy. Well-used, made for walking through the Forest, it was proof against the cool, damp morning.

Small footsteps hidden in the cloak’s long fall made her seem to sweep next to Keiko as she settled herself down in a pool of skirts.

She was silent, but it was that nice kind of quiet as she listened to her companion speak and then summon a soft morning melody. Perhaps even Lyric could hear something new on the crisp air, faint notes harmonizing with the morning.

“It’s colors...”

Tomomi’s words were bright and warm and completely not wraith-like.

“It’s like hearing colors.”

The Forest Kin nodded her head.

“We sometimes sing at night. But it’s strange. I don’t think any of us sing very well and then Broke and the guardians join and it completely falls to pieces. It always ends with someone being tossed into the swamp.”

She too overheard the gentle prayer being spoken, leaning into a friend’s embrace. She was small, making it a natural fit.

“She is very nice. Lady will be happy.”

And then it happened.

Wolf #863430 Wed 12/10/16 14:32 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She enjoyed peaceful mornings, and this was turning into a delightful one. Sharing music with Tomomi and sitting quietly... Well, it was almost like being home again, with the Caravan, surrounded by family.

The first hint of something different was the brightest light Keiko had ever seen stabbing down from the sky into the Forest. She had heard stories of Her followers being able to call down Her light — but this was not that. There could not be any Dayalans in the Forest! Could there? And even if there were, would one call Her light into the Forest, so close to Home? And then the light breeze turned into a wind, but one made of light.

Keiko gasped as it flowed out from the Forest and she held Tomomi close. When the blast of bright white wind-light hit them, the girl who never cried... wept. She understood what the Lady Bekkah had just done, and her heart was so full of gratitude and joy that she could barely see Tomomi when she looked at her. The Rhoni girl’s smile was so joyful as she blinked and tried to stop the tears of joy... but why bother?

Reaching out, she smoothed Tomomi hair and giggled. The hood of her cloak had been knocked away in the wind. Maybe it would take more than just a moment for the lovely yellow hair to settle back into place. She ran light fingers over her friend’s ears, and face and finally took Tomomi’s small hands into her own.

And then, for a few heartbeats or forever, she looked into those shining eyes set in less than regular features and just smiled. Everything had changed and yet... some things remained exactly the same.

“You are my friend, Tomomi ‘al’khaharenah’lokhee’sheeshalee’ al’khevreenah’tahkash’rahkavash. And now can you feel what I have always known? That you are a person, too? I am your friend, and so now I say you are Tomomi ‘al’dhashyah’lahknash’khaharenah’lokhee’sheeshalee’ al’khevreenah’tahkash’rahkavash — Beautiful Friend who is a worthy person... in addition to everything else I have named you.”

With a gentle sigh, she said, “How I wish I could have been with all of the Kin at Home to see this wonder among all of you. But to have you, my friend, here... that is good enough, yes?” Then Keiko stop, blinked, and giggled again.

“Oooh, wouldn’t it be wonderful to see Miss Emmi, too? Even if that means a tone-deaf Lord comes along. I’d like to meet him anyway. If he promises not to sing.”

Keiko realized she was babbling and just kissed Tomomi’s forehead before rearranging her cowl.

“Music can wait just a little while longer.”

Right now, there was simply peace.

Wolf #863433 Wed 12/10/16 15:31 UTC

Lyric

Lyric had remained sitting on the rock, where her feet could dangle over the edge, for a while. She had not eaten yet, nor had she bathed and changed clothing. She did not have her belongings at the Mill House and so there were no clothes for her to change into yet. All things in their proper time. Each thing given its due moment for the world and heavens to behold.

At some point, the Thing Happening Now was Lady Bekkah leaving the Mill House and walking down the steps to where there were other buildings. As it had been with Mikal walking up the steps in the early wisps of her light, so too was it for Bekkah in that she didn't see the Minstrel who had found a small ledge with a view. If one didn't know she was there, it would be all too easy to miss her if you didn't look right at her.

Lyric watched after Bekkah until she could no longer see her on the steps. This was an important moment for the Lady and Lyric didn't disturb the Atteran's thoughts with a greeting. All that Lyric had felt necessary to say to the Atteran had been said the day before this one. Now, the shape, and sound, and feel of What May Yet Come might well change when she communes with her Goddess. And if the will of Things Unseen sees purpose and benefit and alignment with their own understanding of the What Will Be... Then the hoped for What May Yet Come will become the joyous What Will Be.

This made Lyric smile and she returned her attention to her view for a time longer, but truth be told, Lyric wasn't very good at keeping track of time in the first place. So, she had no idea how long she had already been sitting there as it was. Time was a construct, and from a musical perspective, time was the thing that kept all notes from happening at once. But beyond that she had little use for it.

This day would be a different day than the day before. Lyric pondered this and considered that, were the Lady successful in her plea, then nothing would ever be the same again. This would be the moment when a whole new Song began on the Heartwood.

Andt hat realization brought a new smile, a stronger smile, to Lyric's face. Her eyes widened at the realization and she immoderately rose from her perch and ran down the steps.

If there was to be a whole new song this day, then she wanted to be there at the moment the very first Note sounded. She ran as fast as her feet could carry her, down the stairs, taking the unevenly measured steps, cut and hewn as the Rock had allowed, with the light grace of a dancer whose ancestry might have a little mountain goat in their background.

Lyric would have passed the quiet spot Keiko and Tomomi had chosen to wait and witness... Lyric was oblivious to them. She wanted only to greet the new experience.

Bekkah had just finished and was standing as Lyric, still at a run that would make an excited farm girl proud, finally slowed herself some four handfuls of long steps away from her. She stopped because that was when the Burst of Light connected the Heavens with the Heartwood. A shiver passed through Lyric despite being wrapped in her blanket for the shiver didn't originate in a sense of chill... but rather from excitement and anticipation. This was going to be a most unique experience. As First Notes went, this might be the most unique experience of all...and ever. And in that wonderment Lyric wondered if this might be the First Note in the Song she had set out to find.

And then the Wind hit her, like a breath from the Imperial Heavens and she spread her arms wide and leaned into it. She didn't dare close her eyes for fear of missing even a moment of what was happening and that was a good thing too. For the wave of light came next and washed over the bundled and hooded minstrel where she stood.

Lyric wanted to HEAR what Lady Attera's voice sounded like in her declaration of her divinity upon the Heartwood...

Bekkah

She'd started back when the effects of her plea manifested itself in something others would notice. She showed no surprise, but the effect lit up her face. Her Goddess' power always had that effect on her, even when it was nothing more than curing a simple wound.

Her smile was bright and full upon her face as she strode, still very tired, but the effect seemed to have helped her walk straighter.

She noticed Lyric before her, surprised that she was here, but on the other hand, she might have even guessed it.

"A good morning to you my dear." she began with a smile for the young girl.

"It is done." she began, stating the obvious. "As you suggested yesterday, my Goddess saw into my heart and found my plea worthy. This leads to more to be done, but for now, I would like to first see Tomomi. Have you seen her this morning?"

Despite the smile what Bekkah was feeling, it would be pretty obvious that the Atteran was really tired.

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 12/10/16 18:42 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Tomomi

At first, there was an eek! It was so high pitched it was almost a squeak. And then there was a meep, a panicked bustle as the stiff breeze drew back her cowl. Finally, there was a gasp and blush, all the way to her ears, at a gentle kiss and the safety of her shadows. Tomomi was then silent for a heartbeat and then two and then three.

When she spoke, Keiko didn’t need to see her. She knew she was smiling.

“So this is what being a real person feels like.”

She leaned against her best friend and snuggled close, wrapping both her arms around Keiko’s one.

“I don’t feel different... kinda. And yet I feel like everything’s changed.

“It is very nice.”

She then blinked, once and then twice.

“I think things are very confusing back at Home. But they got Soft and Lady, Renyard, and Left and Right.

“I don’t think anyone will hold it against me while I sit here...

“...and smile for a bit.”

Wolf #863501 Thu 13/10/16 02:28 UTC

Lyric

"Oh no, Lady Bekkah... It is not done. It is just beginning."

To the question of Tomomi's location, Lyric shook her head. "No in the now, no. But I know she and Keiko left very early this morning when they thought no one was awake. But I sleep very lightly. They did not invite me so I did not let them know I was awake while you still slept. I have not seen them since... But I am sure they are near... Maybe even coming this way."

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,433
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy