Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phoenix Prime, eclaasse), 8 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
It takes about a day to march north to the town of Conyberry but half a day was gone before you had set out and so that included an overnight rest stop. The long rest allowed the spellcasters to prepare their spell anew and the wounded to tend to their injuries and heal up. In the morning you set forward again and reached the Triboar Trail before noon. Your instructions were to follow the trail because it runs right through the abandoned town of Conyberry - an easy landmark for locating the lair of the banshee Agatha. All that you've learned about the town is that it was sacked by barbarians many years ago and that it has laid in ruins ever since. From the ruins of Conyberry you were told to take an old trail which leads northwest into Neverwinter Wood.

Agatha's lair is a few miles outside town the town. The forest grows dark and still as the trail winds deeper into the trees . Heavy vines and th ick layers of moss drape the branches, and the air is noticeably colder than it was in the ruined village. Rounding a bend in the trail, you see a screen made from the warped branches of trees standing close together, woven into a domelike shelter in the shadows. A low doorway leads inside.

Attached Images
NeverwinterWood.jpg (185.56 KB, 253 downloads)
AJ Offline
Kriv

He approached the lair briskly, taking the vanguard in the face of the dangers which, given this was the abode of a spirit of wailing death, they had a pretty good idea they were up against. He stood at the threshold...

and knocked, politely.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

On the walk in, Chandan muses aloud about ways of silencing the banshee if it starts to sing its dirge, but such magics are beyond him, possibly beyond their party.

Given no-one they've spoken to so far has actually complained about the banshee, and the party have been asked to talk to her about one thing or another, it seems likely the creature (Agatha is her name) can be reasoned with.

Still, there talks are likely to be fraught with peril, or else their quest-givers would have handled it themselves.

Agatha's lair looks cramped, and crowding into the banshee's sitting room might annoy the undead elf. With Kriv taking the lead, Chandan glances to his other companions.

"Davroar and Jaliera, perhaps you could accompany Kriv? Davroar's druid craft might come in handy inside these twisted trees, and if Agatha is as self-conscious as the Sister suggests, she might enjoy his attention.

"Jaliera, keep watch on the shadows, your eyes where the others' cannot be.

"Kallista and I can stand watch out here." He recommends, unslinging his new wineskin.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Chandan's suggestions make sense though she is not happy with the idea of Davroar flirting with the banshee. She more than likes the young druid herself but has no experience that shows her a way forward with him.

Whisper has been resting on her shoulder and she talks softly to the young animal, explaining that she will want her to look around so that Jaliera can watch through her eyes.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

The banshee's lair puts a chill across his arms as they get close. He turns to Chandan to say in a quieter voice, "What?! I'm not going to any such thing with it!"

The last thing he wants to do is deceive the banshee in thinking she is desirable.

"I'll mind my words with Agatha, and will try to be nice... Can we not just use the perfume as a bargaining piece?"

Anything more than that, and Davroar is not going to go along with it.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The outburst from the Druid had prompted a look of extreme disdain from the Dragonborn.

"If she wants the perfume, there is no reason whatsoever not to trade it to her for that which we require. Do you want it for yourself? A little secret, covering yourself in a different scent doesn't generally reduce the underlying stink of human, it just adds to it."

Whatever fears the ally to nature had regarding attractiveness or desirability, it was abundantly clear the monstrous noble neither shared them nor considered them the least bit relevant in the forthcoming negotiations.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She cannot resist a small smirk as Davroar vehemently declares he will not dally with the banshee. And as always she is more than willing to take his side.

"I think the perfume could be a good thing to trade, Davroar."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He laughs and says to Kriv, "No... I do not want the damn perfume." Still laughing he finds Kriv's misunderstanding of his words too funny to contain, yet quickly adds, "Sorry..." as an apology for what might appear to be a lack of respect towards the noble Kriv.

He gives a friendly wink to Jaliera as he appreciates her once again while he struggles to contain a smile in front of Kriv.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"Here", she hands Davroar over the silver comb she received from the Priestess in town. "Sister Garaele gave us this to give to Agatha to play on her vanity."

AJ Offline
Kriv

He waved off the apology as unneeded, seemingly mollified by the apparent resolution to the perfume as a trade good question. He turned his attention back to the entryway to Agatha's home.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

A home of sorts is sheltered within the dome of woven branches, It is sparsely furnished with chests, shelves, a table and a reclined couch - all of it old and of elven craft.

Shortly after you enter this place, the air grows cold and a powerful feeling of dread grips you. A cold, pale light flickers in the air, rapidly taking on the form of a female elf, her hair and robes waving in a spectral wind. She might have been beautiful once, but a hateful expression twists her features now.

"Foolish mortals," she snarls. "What do you want here? Do you not know it is DEATH to seek me out?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

He bowed low with the easy grace of one trained in courtly niceties. If he seemed fazed by the prospect of certain death, it didn't show on his reptilian features.

"Beautiful Agatha, we seek an audience and an exchange of gifts."

Without taking his eyes off her, he beckoned the druid with the silver comb to step forward.

"If this is amenable to you, of course."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He had only a humourous wink for Davroar, but now that the elf phantom has answered the door, Chandan isn't so keen about letting his companions enter alone.

But someone has to stay outside. The old monk will probably be least useful inside, and the tiefling Kallista's sorcery useful for covering them all if an attack came from the woods.

It is an interesting place, this Conyberry. The ruins must have a story to tell, made all the more curious by a banshee choosing to set up home here.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Even though he was expecting it, the banshee is still quite unnerving to see as it materializes out of thin air. Fighting the urge to run away, he holds out the silver comb and stammers, "See, see... it is quite, nice, fair one."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

The unnatural cold, the twisted elven banshee, Jaliera has never been more scared in her life. Deep down she knows this woman could just kill them on a whim but she can't think of anything to say and her mouth is so dry that she doesn't think she could speak anyway.

So she tries instead to keep her wits about her and to think about how best to protect her friends.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: Wow. 11 days. I've been gone way too long <sigh>. So sorry about that. It came without warning.]

Agatha

The banshee seemed open to conversation and her mood seemed to soften slightly as Kriv called her beautiful. But then Davroar, without having bartered, simply offers a gift of a comb.

"A comb? Is my hair so disheveled that I am in need of one? It is a pretty comb but has my death destroyed my looks? Perhaps if you were dead your hair would not be so perfect either!"

AJ Offline
Kriv

Mellifluously, the noble scion endeavoured to smooth the ruffled feathers.

"Forgive his bluntness, doyenne of eternal comeliness, as you can see he is something of a scruffy human never educated in the correct manner to address a lady, as you can doubtless tell by his stammering, blushing demeanour.

More to the point, this comb was entrusted to us by one far off who had heard of your great beauty and wished to proffer it as a token of goodwill, a pretty and useful device to both serve you well and further reflect the pleasantness of your visage.

They asked us to crave a boon of you in exchange for this token of esteem, namely information concerning a certain spellbook."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He opens his mouth, but no words come to mind. He would rather lash out with a spell to rid the world of this unnatural apparition, but here he is forced to barter with it.

For now all he does is avert his gaze to the dirt floor, and let Kriv speak for them.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Note that there are two separate missions to obtain information from Agatha, not just the spellbook question. And the comb did not come from Kost, it came from - Sister Garaele - She has asked the party to visit the lair of Agatha the banshee and trade her a silver comb for information about a legendary spellbook. Reward: 4 potions of healing.

The other missions was for Kost, The Red Wizard of Thay, He asked you to get rid of the nearby orcs and to ask Agatha, the banshee, the name of the wizard that build the Old Owl Tower. Reward: He will answer Daran Eldermath's question.

Agatha

If it's possible for a banshee to take and edge off their mood, Kriv seems to have found it.

The ghostly figure smiles with cold amusement. "Very well," she says. "I know that you seek many things. Ask me one question, and I will give you an answer."

AJ Offline
Kriv

He dipped his head in a bow to the banshee, and replied.

"Truly, your wisdom approaches your beauty: It is indeed the case that we do seek more than one piece of information. So, to honour that wisdom, I will set out all we desire in the one question you have graciously allowed, if you will permit."

He reached for his journal, holding it before him unopened, and began,

"Within this journal will be written two incomplete phrases. The first begins, 'The disposition of the spellbook formerly belonging to the mage Bowgentle is...'. The second begins 'The name of the wizard who built the Old Owl Tower is...'. My one single question is this: What fully and truthfully completes those two phrases?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
lol

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: AJ. Double or nothing. Roll a charisma check. Think of this as save or die. weg

It's actually an "opposed" check against the banshee:

Banshee Intelligence check
Neptune rolled 1d20+1 and got 12

If you succeed, you get your answers. If you don't....

AJ Offline
(Would Persuasion come into play?)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes. I should have said that.

Last edited by Neptune; Wed 14/09/16 01:56 UTC.

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv Save or die persuasion
AJ rolled 1d20+2 and got 7

Kriv

A definite change of mood. Likely too late for him, but perhaps he could soften the blow for the rest of these apes to get the job done.

"I sense I have caused offence. As you said yourself, it is death to seek you out, and yet I have been willing to risk my entire existence just to bear witness to you in all your glory. After staking everything, what was the harm in an extra risk? As much as I would like to remain alive, if it is my fate to die and have the last thing I ever see be your wondrous visage... I could have no regrets about such an end."

He seemed about to speak, but...

Last edited by AJ; Wed 14/09/16 21:58 UTC. Reason: No time to speak
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Tusk
Tusk
Warboys, Huntingdon
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,436
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy