Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Miales, Gypsy, Art in the Blood), 16 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Talesan’s Keep
Hasday, the Twelfth Day of Scholar

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal, and Bekkah

There are some things easier said than done.

There are also some things done far easier done than said.

For example – Ari’s smothering her youngest daughter in a large bear hug before sweeping her away into the Amber Inn for a meal or two or three. Rory watching with a smile and then going out to tell the others that Dydd had been found and they can stop searching.

Even Twls, hands folded behind her back and long stepping in their wake, not letting anyone see her smile.

This also included finding one of the group’s horses and settling their looted chests upon its back; a lash here, a lash there and then to cover it all with a spare saddle blanket. Then it was the easy but longish walk through town. From the farmer’s town an then past the formal building where the local constabulary worked, past the ramshackle Cathedral. As suspected the Priestess and Brother were no where to be seen but through the cloister arches Father Canna was happily tending his turnips.

Or at the least, one very large turnip.

That left the pierside trek. This side of the wooden bridge here were no posts for tying up boats, that happened on the western ramparts. The rows of houses here appeared to be a line of homes; again the warehouses and working places of fisher town were closer to where the fleet tied up. That did not mean the streets were completely empty.

Indeed,this was the time the fishwives left their stew to simmer or in their daughter’s care to head to the docksides, along with their not yet sailing sons. The fleet was coming in; by now they were approaching the town, in their own order, to bring in the day’s nautical harvest. And while a gang of strangers walking a horse over the wooden bridge to the keep was definitely a curiosity there was work to be had.

Fishers and farmers shared that; like New Jvrillians they were eminently practical.

The horse’s clip clops could barely be heard over the rush of he sea, the waves breaking against the carven stone of Talesan’s Village. The path beyond was paved; with long steps that allowed a horse to climb with less difficulty and then little marble ramps spaced so that a cart could also climb up the side of the seaside outcropping.

Talesan’s Keep was different from grand Talantal; this was something Cesare could attest to, as a far traveling Rhoni he had seen more of these Ancient fortresses that the rest. The Rhoni tale were also telling; if, over the ages a Keep did fall … curiously, they were always rebuilt in the same location – those who painted the Cards said that like many things in this world, that was no accident.

Talesan’s Keep was not a traditional keep, it was a citadel. It was tall, perhaps as tall as Talental from the first gate to the top of the Khorall’s tower and yet at its base it was no larger than a single manor house. Rising like vines trying to touch the sun the lancet arches of the citadel’s flying buttresses rose in graceful lines, each trying to climb higher and farther than the others. Every now and then long narrow lengths of stained glass were seen, sparkling now that She was on is western descent.

From its balconies, one could almost believe one could see to the ends of the Heartwood.

Almost.

Larsen may be the poorest of the Noble Families … but their home might even rival the legendary beauty of Dawnview Castle … perhaps even prettier than any of Kh’lyh’ra’s Thousand Towers.

That there were not wealthy, however, became apparent when they were met, at the base of the citadel, by the House Larsen Noble Guard.

A single, one, all by himself, Noble Guard.

“Hoi an’ good afternoon. It is a nice afternoon, ain’t it? Cor we don’t get many visitors. You want to see the Khorall? R have you come for afternoon tea with the Missus? I can hold your horse if’n needed. If’n yah want, I can give Lishka a call and she’d be glad to show you in.”

The guard was odd. He was definitely well armed – a decent set of brigantine and a sword as black as Mikal’s. His helmet rested on a barrel next to the tall bronze clad door – all decorated with embossed seashells and many images both foresty and fishy. Also on the barrel was a gingham cloth an upon that was a stack of muffins and what looked to be a bottle of wine. There was also a glass, not a goblet but a simple one, with perhaps a finger of drink in it.

If it was wine, it was definitely being taken in moderation.

But the most distinctive thing was his shield. It was a black and red checkerboard field upon which had been splashed – very excellently done too – of a fierce seahorse.

Thinking about it, that in itself was curious. The artist had somehow made that frail sea creature seem … like at least a worthy if not dangerous opponent.

The guard slowly pulled open the tall door and called out.

“Hoi ……. Lishy-lass! The Mister and Missus got guests!”

At the summons a young girl peeked through the entrance. She … like the guard … did not look like a villager. Slender, almost waiflike, she wore blue tunics, the color of water trimmed with white to match the long belt that hung from her waist.

Odd. A white belt often meant you were a Knight; but there was no such thing as a female knight outside of Dawnview Vale. It was hard to tell her features; her long black hair almost fell to the ground and her bangs definitely fell over her face like a playful veil.

It was a shy peek, her shoulder resting on the bronze, her head turned towards the guard while her hands made a set of very, very strange motions. To which the guard answered.

“That’s right, take them up to see the Master an get them a plate of tea, won’t you Lishy-lass?”

The head nodded, black hair shimmering and tossed like midnight waves.

“That’s our good girl.”

He turned back to the little group.

“Now you follow Miss Lishka here. She’s not much on conversation, mostly because she can’t talk. But as the Master says it’s not what you say but what you do that proves your worth.

“But don’t make the mistake and think she can’t hear. She’s right good at that.”

Into the citadel they were taken.

As opposed to Talental it was as if the citadel was a single hollow tree, one tall space lit by oil lamps and the rainbows of stained glass. So many stairs wrapped around the atrium; forming galleries and balconies – the living spaces obviously scattered around the perimeter of the tower in an ever rising tangle of intersecting spirals.

Through this circumference Lishka lead them. One thing was obvious; she was far more used to going up and down long stairways than them. Up and up she took them, taking switchbacks that seemed random until they reached a final landing and its wrought iron door. While it was grilled one could not se through it – the spaces between the tracery were filled with coloured glass and polished shells and fine oiled wood.

Oh, if one ever looted Talesan’s Keep they would be richer than anyone’s dreams.

But there as also this feeling, that if one ever did, the world would be so much poorer.

It was odd – but after meeting a certain Princess, one could believe that even the Lords of the East would understand that.

The door lead to a balcony.

So high they were – even though the edge had a sturdy parapet wall, anyone with the littlest bit of vertigo would be lost. The balcony looked to the west, out to the sea, the sea that went forever and ever. To the right the Village was so small, the boats at dock colorful splashes and very very very small seeming people bustling like busy ants. Indeed one could look beyond – there was farmer’s town and then beyond even that a small collection of houses and fields all by its lonesome, right in the shadow of the Dirkwood.

A bit more disturbing, in that direction the Dirkwood seemed to stretch as far as the sea.

In blue and white tieg Larsen stood. He was looking out to sea, as if waiting for the tide to come in, which it would, soon.

“Now, now, now …”

He turned and offered the group a small smile.

“This is grand. You have already conjured that I would extend an invitation to visit us in our modest home.”

The smile widened as he leaned towards Kadri.

“I learned to call it that from your understated husband, Dama.”

In that time Lishka had vanished … only to return with a tray of tea, as ordered, which she set upon a small balcony table. She then gathered herself up and found a corner to stand, perfectly still and quiet.

“Please, the tea is fresh and the winds up here are much cooler than those seaside.”

He took up his cup last.

“I believe you came to visit me?”

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He is happy to leave the talking to Mikal and Kadri, not one for conversing with those in authority. He manages a respectful nod but then his attention is stolen away by the view. Both water and tree go on seemingly for ever. It makes a person feel humble just by their vastness.

The view also reveals a lot that would not be so apparent at ground level and Cesare studies it, learning much of the layout to add to the map of the lands he carries in his head.

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She performs a flowery and well executed curtsy followed by a bow with both arms crossed and grasping the opposite shoulder.

"Good afternoon and greetings, Khorral Larsen - oh lord of the sun-sprinkled waves, master of the salt-tinged air ..."

She looks about to continue with a longer list before letting out a bit of a giggle.

"Plain, simple Kadri I do not think could keep that up for long - I must say my own tastes run much more towards your 'modest home' and its surroundings than Grandest Grand Talantal. You can see the horizon, you can feel the wind and there is room nearby to get a horse to full gallop. You can breathe here. But I ramble."

She composes herself.

"We have a conundrum and have hopes that you may be able to aid in its resolution."

She looks over towards Mikal.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Thu 05/05/16 20:03 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Talesan’s Keep

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal, and Bekkah

The tea was nice and hot and the perfect shield against the cool sea breeze.

As he listened to Kadri the Khorall poured a second cup, walked it over to Lishka and placed it in her hands. The black hair nodded once, without a word and the woman slowly sipped at her warm drink.

“Does it have to do with the overloaded horse you walked over the new bridge?”

The bridge was probably only new in a relative sense. As with most Ancient construction – such as the arches over the Silk Creek – it was probably fine cut marble in its original incarnation.

“There is an inherent problem with conundrums missus plain and simple Kadri. They are at the root, almost impossible to solve …”

Lishka placed her fist to her mouth; while she had not spoken a word nor did she nor would she make a sound, it was the perfect pantomime of stifling a chuckle. As if she knew what was coming. Tieg simply offered a friendly smile, and it was in truth a very nice and companionable one.

“ … impossible to solve, impossible for me to offer you aid …

“ … if you do not tell me what it is.”

Taking a slow draught of hot tea, Tieg gave each member of the little group a nod in turn – Kadri to Cesare to Mikal to Bekkah – before continuing.

“So what is it that brought you here?”

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"My Lady has a certain amount of funds she'd like to ask that you hold for her, My Lord. We expect to be traveling around the area a bit and keeping it in her room in the inn is not the safest thing."

He states it as a simple request.

(OOC - Mentioned I'd be out of pocket last week traveling for business. Don't mean to hold up the game. Will be traveling again last week of May and first week of June, and then vacation 3rd week of June so ghost if needed.)

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 08/05/16 16:12 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Talesan’s Keep

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal, Bekkah, Tieg Larsen and Lishka Magesbane

“Of course the answer is yes.

“But of course you also knew the answer to that question before you asked, did you not?”

Tieg Larsen looked out to the sea, watching the fishing fleet make port, that homecoming a swirl of activity and color against the stained marble of the piers. It was such a normal scene, from this far away, that it was hard to imagine anything behind that everyday facade something darker lurked. From this distance, the fishing boats were like toys, the fisher folks but small scurrying things.

“How could I refuse? First, you are not strangers, we have sat around a Highland Path campfire together, shared bread and drink. Second, you have already have the respect of my station; that was earned in the Korie great hall at Midsummers. Third, how could I say no to a request from Family Korie, especially after that Council.

“Last … it is what friends do.”

He took another sip from his drink, glancing to his servant.

“That you are more quiet than my Lishka, that is disturbing. She has a reason for being still. Her words were taken from her at a high cost.

“But yours, you keep to yourself I see.”

He turned to face Mikal, who had last spoke to him.

“Is it that you do not trust me? That nothing can be shared outside the bounds of a contract? Was it those bindings, between you and your Lady, that dragged you into my home and up my stairs, and despite the welcome I’ve shared with you you’d rather be anywhere else?”

His gaze slipped then, ending up square on the Rhoni. From this height the layout of the town was easily discerned, its order confirmed. It was, indeed, as if there were two towns here at the edge of the sea. Here was the fisher town, on the piers, built above shadowed subterranean halls. Beyond, where fields should be, was the farmers homes. And between them the Cathedral and overlooking them all, this citadel.

“Talesan’s Village is the end of your kin’s secret paths, Cesare. If you stay here long enough, eventually the caravan you seek will come down along the edge of the Dirkwood and rest here.

“Are those here … blacksword, rogue priestess, mischievous wife .. your caravan now and for them you would hold your tongue? But the waves washed you up here upon my balcony. If I was to have been swept before your caravan, before your Grandfather and Grandmother, I would be expected to explain how I came to stand before them. Am I not due the same respect?”

He then turned again.

“And you, fair Priestess. To stand so quiet. And yet your choice of initiates betrays you. You are not one who follows in the shadows of Knights and Eyes. Unlike your sisters in Talantal, you have shown you walk your own path.

“Which speaks to me that it is no accident you have decided to visit, that this is no mundane social call. I am correct, am I not?”

He then quirked a brow.

“And you, fair Dama Korie. How do I know that you are not telling me the whole story?

“That should be obvious.

“You are the wife of Lord Dominic Dominie Korie .”

He smiled over the brim of his tea cup.

“So I ask each of you again …

“What brought you here?

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He has been silent until now, generally safer not to enter a conversation at least until invited, therefore little offence can be given, no enmity earned. However he has just been invited and by an interesting snippet of information.

"That is good to know my Lord. And may be a reason to stay."

He does not comment on the reasons why they are here. In truth he is here because he has come along with this group he had been drawn into, finding a place for himself and a belief in what they had been doing, both having surprised him.

But if reasons are to be given they are for Mikal to give. He looks at the warrior beside him.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"As regards the storing of the coin, common courtesy, My Lord. I would not wish to presume and simply place it here without your knowledge."

He glances at Kadri, then shrugs. Politics is not his strong suit. He has always found it best to simply tell the truth.

"As to other topics, as I am sure you can see we have seen hard battle", and indeed Mikal and the others did not stop to change or clean up so they are still covered in Lizard gore and the muck from the tunnel. Not to mention the new dents and cuts to their weapons and armour.

"The daughter of the innkeeper was kidnapped and we volunteered to help find her. Our search took us into some tunnels near the sea which run beneath the village. There we encountered lizard monsters and the cult of a Shark God, to which the girl was to be sacrificed. We found evidence that fishermen were behind the abduction."

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She turns deadly serious and intense. Is was also one of her modes.

"It is complicated - dark happenings in the dark under the docks. You have fisherfolk who it seems are willing to see a little girl offered as a sacrifice to a shark-thing. There is dark brewing in this beautiful place, but light casts a shadow. I am afraid that the death of this shark-thing simply can't be the end of this. Things don't happen that simple, they never do, the never will. So things were simple, and the fact that they were simple means as sure as She rises that things are about to get very, very complicated indeed. And the price of this sort of complexity is oft-times blood. I can tell you exactly which warehouse the tunnels underneath lead to. But soon enough, lord Larsen - soon enough they will notice their bastard god is now bait. And then I suspect things will happen. So to answer you - I trust you - I just am loathe to bring darkness into this place."

Bekkah

She gave him a smile.

"No, my Lord my silence is not out of fear or mistrust, it is more out of not being sure of the best course of action."

"From what the others have mentioned, this could likely end in a conflict between the farmers and fisherfolk. Especially when it involves the kidnapping and likely sacrifice of an innocent child. This could destroy the village."

"I would like to do more than warn you of what might happen, but I have no good solution, other to attempt to stand between the factions and hope they'd all respect my station enough not to attempt to kill each other. What some of the fisher folk have done is reprehensible, but their motives I believe were good to a point. They simply wanted to survive. but they have been mislead. Perhaps it was by only a few of their leaders, I do not know. I just don't see how the farmers will simply forgive and forget. They will demand justice of some kind."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Talesan’s Keep

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal, Bekkah, Tieg Larsen and Lishka Magesbane

The Khorall of Talesan’s Village sipped his tea, looking out to sea.

“Fate has not been kind to the fisher folks here.”

He held his cup in one hand, the other by his side. A sharp eyed person might have seen it move, his fingers tracing a set of inscrutable patterns, small and simple movements. As they halted Lishka took a step forward, bowed her head to her liege and then vanished back into the citadel proper.

“That, however, is not an excuse to behave badly. The true shame is that, when given a choice, most people are … good.

“The challenge, then, is to give them that choice.”

Tieg Larsen considered matters, quietly, over his cup of tea.

‘Lady Korie … you should understand secrets and thespian intrigue? That’s a fancy way of saying, put on an act. The Fisher folk must have been keeping this hidden for quite a while.

The Khorall was silent for a while more.

“Mikal, you have come to the sea for training and find a home to put together a Jvrillian Troop.

“You need the Lady Korie because no Jvillian goes long without a contract; it is a necessary as blood. She also has money. That and her husband’s lands include Wavrider’s Watch, a place far enough Talantal to be mostly forgotten, made the responsibility of the keep’s youngest Lord and it is where you are sent when you have made very bad mistake.

‘Master Cesare; do you know of Waverider’s Watch? Do you know why it has that name? It is not because it overlooks the sea; indeed you cannot even see the sea from its watchtower. But because it overlooks a trail used by those who ride the waves of the world ... your people. The Rhoni.

“And my Lady Bekkah.

“What would you say I told you that there are those that have never known a drop of mercy in their lives? You have an Eastern apprentice, whose companion is the walking dead. I do not believe this is a bad thing. But it does mean you do not see the world as most people do. I shall admit I am curious; what will you see … on Marketday in Waverider’s Watch? Will you see what even Lady Artemesia chooses not to?”

A sip of tea was taken.

“And what would the four of you say if offered you ten horses from the Farmer’s compound; two Crusaders and the remainder Carters – because when one undertakes the endeavor to build a Jvrillian troop from scratch, one usually forgets that the Koromov’s third commander is her Quartermaster and Destriers might be wonderful on the melee field but they usually cannot pull a cart to save their lives.’

He let the offer sit in the sea air for a moment, before continuing.

“There is a condition, of course.”

He offered the small group a smile.

“I’d appreciate it if the our of you accepted this offer immediately and with your bounty – that I shall obligingly not tax - you undertake this next stage of your adventures …

“ … equally immediately. As in before the sun falls; do not worry. Even if you can’t make the Farmer’s Compound before dark, the grain fields between here and there should be safe, as long as you cannot see either sea or Blackwater.

“I shall, of course, explain to your other companions, that you had to suddenly depart. I am sure they will understand; I can be very convincing and no one remains angry with me for very long.

“Trust me. This is a reward and you have my thanks or coming to me with this straight.

“It was the right thing to do.”

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 22/05/16 13:52 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

His head comes up as once again Lord Larsen provides another snippet of information on his people. For the first time in a long time he feels he might be getting closer to establishing contact. And one piece of information deserves another.

"I have lived apart from mt people, except for a small group, for most of my life. Your news is welcome."

He nods respectfully.

He is also keen to move on from this place to get started on their new life, whatever that may turn out to be. Here he is filling time, he would prefer to be contributing to their endeavours.

He looks across at Mikal with a small nod, indicating his willingness to move.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods, glancing at Kadri. "Our thanks for the horses. As soon as I speak with some of the Jvrillians here in town to see if they would like to sign up we will head to Waverider's Watch."

Bekkah

She listened and simply smiled at his words.

"I suppose then my Lord that I shall do what I can to show them that first drop. It has to begin somewhere. As far as the Marketday, I look forward to it."

"If we're to leave immediately, please inform my sister for me. I would strongly suggest bringing along a few men with you. She may not take the news well. Just tell her, that I'm in good hands and I'm not the least bit worried. And that I shall write."

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"You are most gracious."

She offers her traditional bow.

"I owe you, again. I keep track of my debts.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Talesan’s Keep

Cesare, Kadri, Mikal and Bekkah

And that … was that.

“It is not hard to find your way out; simply take the stairs heading down; eventually you will reach the main welcome hall. I am sure Lishka will be there to send you on your way.”

And she was; the quiet black haired woman waited at the citadel’s entrance. She had their horse and gear at the ready, as well as a writ sealed with a wax imprint. This made sense, because if they were outward bound this day … they would need to take their riches with.

Silently, she pointed past the bridge.

It was a recommendation; if they went around the backside of the cathedral once across, they would avoid the Fisher’s town. It was good advice; it meant that they returned to the Amber Inn without disturbance.

Outside – along with the horses of those staying at the inn, many bearing sundry different manners of horsemarks – there was a new destrier. This was definitely a warhorse and mantled too. It bore the Larsen crest; a blue seahorse that had been splashed over a black and red checkerboard.

Upon entering the tavern was oddly quiet. But not entirely unexpected. Not only had the owner and patrons a very eventful morning and thus deserving of rest they had also returned between noon and dinner. This was a traditionally a slow time for any tavern; for example in Talantal they often closed their doors for a late afternoon siesta. Indeed, the only person behind the bar was Twls – her Mother, Father and little sister were nowhere to be seen.

She did, however, start lining up drinks as the small group came into the commons, unable to not hide an honest smile.

“ … it’s all on the house and all from here on out ….”

That she whispered, hushed and quiet.

Also in the tavern were those awaiting Marketday with no where else to be. Predominantly that meant Horace, Nevvie and Donnik – the three Jvrillians from the night before. Nevvie, of course, was the one who looked up and spoke …

“Hoi, the pretty little miss is back!’

… only to be bopped on the back of his head by the gruff Horace.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 29/05/16 13:53 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He smiles back at Twls.

"A drink will be most welcome.. and the use of your bathing facilities if they are available, probably for all of us."

He must look a mess judging by his friends, and although that will likely be overlooked here as they know the reason for it, he figures if they are moving on they might as well make use of it whilst they can.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

While he appreciated what Larsen had given them, it nagged at him how quickly he tried to usher them out of his village. Not to mention how easily he'd brushed aside what had happened with talk of "fate not being kind". One reason he'd been hesitant to discuss it with the Khorall was he'd expected him to show much more outrage.

"Anyone else think that was far too easy, with far too little outrage?" he asks the others.

Curious. Again he misses not having Daxia to discuss it with. She always knew what these things meant. He was a simply mercenary. Political intrigue was not his strong suit.

Now the Destier was a magnificent animal. He begins the process of making friends with it, letting it smell him, while making sure it didn't bite him. He will change its mantle once they leave town. For now, good to let people see they have the blessing of the Khorall.

Reaching the inn and stabling the animals, he enters the main room and takes up an offered drink with a nod of thanks and down it in one gulp.

He moves across to the table with the three Jvrillians, stopping by their table and nodding to an empty chair. "Mind if I join you?"

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Sometimes outrage hinders clear thought: I know this well. I have no doubt the anger was there, people wear many masks, Mikal. I do, Cesare does - you do, have. I daresay that under his own mask there is sufficient passion, and a sharp mind to direct it."

After entering the in, she looks to the drink, and to its suppliers.

She flashes her widest smile yet, then replies quietly making firm eye contact.

"Knowing that a little girl is back with her family, and back in the embrace of a caring mother and devoted father is thanks enough to last me many a day, but I will happily take a drink."

She moves towards the three Jvrillans herself.

"Nevvie was it, yes?

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Amber Inn

“Sure enough … have a seat …”

Horace offered the invitation, while Donnik raised a hand to wave to the temporary barkeep, directing Twls to bring the drinks to the table. At the bar Twls nodded as she started to gather up a set of pewter steins. She then returned her attention to the handsome Rhoni.

“The baths are pretty much open; most folks come by either in the morning or the evening; the day’s for working, ja?

“But I can bring fresh towels and some of Fra Jenny’s newest soaps don as soon as the sworders and your lady-lass are settled.”

With a wink and a smile Twls swept up that passle of drinks in two hands and sashayed across the quiet commons to the Jvrillian’s table. She set one down before each, starting of course with Kadri and hen Mikal and then the three other men.

“See …”

The youngest of the three swordsmen turned to his cohort, an elbow tagging him in the side.

“… told you she’d remember us!”

And with that he turned his attention back to Kadri and Mikal.

“There’s whispers you folks had an exciting morning. The town’s Swordmaster said we should be holding our tongues, with words of discretion and to remember we are professionals and not rumor mongering brigands.

“He’s in there with the Fa and Ma and the little one now; I suspect that means the Lord of the Keep have things well in hand.”

He was interrupted by Horace.

“And he spoke right, that’s enough laddie. No one wants a guard with a loose tongue and we are all going to need to be our best come hiring day at the market.”

The elder Jvrillian then turned to their two guests.

“So what can we be doing for you? Last night we did not seem to be in your best graces, aye?”

As she returned to the bar, Twls stopped and looked towards Bekkah.

“Are you going to be joining them, My Lady?”

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods, indicating his thanks and finishes his drink. Then he heads down to the baths via his room for a change of clothes for after.

He sees that Kadri and Mikal are chatting with the Jvillians, seems that the business has started.

Bekkah

She watched the exchange, then turned her attention back to Twyls when she returned.

She laughed and shook her head.

"No, I think I'll keep my distance. Most people don't feel they can be themselves when I'm nearby. They'll finish their business quicker, if they're not terribly worried about the way they talk. And I'm certain they have no use for my input."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He brushes aside the concern about last time. "Over zealousness on my part in protecting my charge." He says simply.

He nods at the comment about an exciting morning, but does not provide any details, also nodding at the warning by the elder jvrillian that they're not gossips. However the fact his armour is rent and he still carries bloodstains, both his own and lizard, stands in mute testimony to the observation.

"Just wanted to pass along a message. I'll be hiring come market day. Earlier for those who might wish to seek me out before. Can you pass the word and let your Swordmaster know?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
Amber Inn

“Swordmaster?”

Horace chuckled at that, taking a sip from his beer, reaching to the center of the table to break off a piece of bread. On the table is a small woven basket and inside, on a scrap of gingham cloth, are several large pieces of bread – some white, some darker shades.

“Laddie, most, if not all of us that work the Highland Path are independents; at best you might find two – like Donnik and Nevvie here, who tend to contract out together but that’s pretty much the extent of it.

“It takes more than two or three to make a troop. The closest thing to that between here and Talantal is the Larsen guard – he don’t keep Imperial sorts like most other Nobles. He’s famous for not paying much, but he’s right particular about who he asks somehow manages to get some powerful good folks to sign on with him.

“Sometimes a Merchant does real well and you come down or head back in a big group; if things go bad, he may only be able to afford one guard for the trip back – which is why they won’t be doing the actual signing until dusk.”

As he took a bite from his bread, Donnik leaned back, the front two feet of his wooden chair rising just a bit from the floor.

“Hiring now, that’s right interesting. You don’t see one of our own hiring often, well not outside of the Bordertown or Talantal guildhalls.

“Who are you hiring for then; what sort of work might that be? ‘Cepting for trade this place is right quiet and peaceable … excepting for the Forest, there’s no place that ain’t field and farms and cows aren’t the most ferocious of opponents.”

Nevvie was the one who spoke up next.

“And is it you or tha’ rich, fine and very pretty lassie who is actually doing the hiring?”

Now, if Donnik was correct and Talesan’s Village – excepting for foul eastern shark shrines below the piers – was a quiet and rather safe place, perhaps the safest of all in the village were the underground baths of the Amber Inn. They were a little more curious to Cesare now – they were quite a distance from the docks and yet, here, underground was another hollow of carved stone that looked about the same age as the seaside shrine.

That begged a question – just how large, how far and how complex, was this underground? It was certainly as if the small village was built upon the rooftops of a much, much larger place.

The bath was both relaxing and refreshing. By the time Cesare was finished and retuned to the commons Kadri and Mikal were in discussions with the three sellswords. Bekkah was being gifted a drink and a platter of meat and cheeses from the family’ eldest sister.

“Well that’s because ye are a Fine Lady and a Kind one too. Kind of like how all the lassies get all flustered and swoony when Sir Kevin or Squire Erik are here.

“Certainly there’s some fine Knight waiting for you somewhere. That’s what it means to be a Lady and Priestess, right. At least you don’t have to be worried for being arranged to some old butcher, smelly fisherman or odd looking cabbage farmer.

“And you get to go wherever you want. I’d love to see the world outside just one little …”

Twls cut herself short immediately as her mother arrived. She was accompanied by one of the Larsen guard; in fact the very one that had let them into the citadel earlier today.

“Ja …”

The Jvrillian spoke.

“ … you can be assured that the Khorall is looking out for you. Let the little one sleep, she’s had a very hard day and rest assured the matter will be … handled. All the Khorall wishes from you is to be happy she is safe and continue to serve the bet beer between here and the Black Mountains.”

As he left the tavern he nodded to Kadri and Mikal – then the commons door was closed behind him; he took his horse and returned to his posting.

Ari and Twls then began their work. Soon the day would be over and dinner preparations in an inn could not happen to early enough.

And there was the lurking request they had been given ... to be out of town before then.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods to the others as he returns, still considering the extent of the caverns and wondering if the original settlers in the area were cavern dwellers. He heads for his room to back up his kit, better be ready for leaving.

Then he returns to Ari to avail himself of something to eat and another ale which he takes and sits down with Bekkah.

"Anything I can do to help? Likely we will be leaving soon to make the most of the light."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Wren
Wren
Pennsylvania
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,473
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy