Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
4 members (Alduin, Pandemonium, Asta, Miales), 42 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#815602 Sun 07/06/15 19:43 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
The First Cathedral
Rameday, the Eleventh Day of Scholar

Bekkah

After lunch, there was certainly time to visit the Cathedral. While on the large side, the village was certainly a village, only just pressing but not passing the limits of a township.

The Cathedral was located on what appeared to be a border. East of the sadly fallen tower was one block of homes, very much like the villages she had seen all across the mainland; save, of course that they had a lot more stone available here.

West of the Cathedral, the homes were much more ordered and much more sturdy, as if they somehow were tougher, rougher. As if they had to bear more of the weather’s brunt. The townsfolk were similarly harsher. Their clothing was rougher, hands more calloused. And, while the farmer folk may have kept a polite step back from a stranger Lady, they did so with a friendly smile. The docksiders' gazes were a touch more suspicious.

For the moment Bekkah had to walk without the company of her Initiate; Romana and her guard had not yet returned from their baths before she had left. Ari had not seemed worried about it so the probability that all was well was extremely high.

“They are like dandelions, you know.”

The voice that spoke was warm, friendly and ancient. It came from an elderly man who was tending a makeshift garden that was set about the base of the Cathedral’s entrance. That a Cathedral would have an elderly gardener, well that was to be expected. That the gardener wore the white, red and gold of Lord Rames the Protector along with gold cross pendant, that was unusual. He was definitely old; the top of his head was bald and ringed with a traditional monk’s cut of snow white hair. He crouched in the garden, somehow not noticing that his vestments bore the stains of such unexpected manual labor.

“They are pretty and when they are gray snowflakes on the air, they go wherever they will and once they settle down they can set their roots anywhere.”

Slowly he turned, dusting off his tunics to sit unceremoniously on the Cathedral’s first step.

“But you aren’t a dandelion.

“You are more like a wild rose that’s forgotten she has thorns. Which is fine. You should never need them, but you should never forget you have them.

“I wonder if Bekkah means rose in some language or another. Perri would know.

“Probably not.

“But that’s the way it is. The world isn’t perfect.

“If it were, we could all be gardeners.”

Bekkah

She'd enjoyed the meal and the company. While she'd enjoy a bath, she would rather have one at the end of the day so she decided to head out in search of the cathedral. While some, women especially might feel the need to have someone at their side for protection, Bekkah never did. No matter where she went, she never felt the need. She believed completely in the protection her Lady offered her.

So she found herself walking through the village alone. The man's voice made her look around. She watched him extricate himself from the garden to sit on the stairs above her.

She smiled up at him, soaking in the interesting words.

"Well, I must admit you have me at a disadvantage. How is it you know my name? And might I have yours?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
The First Cathedral

Bekkah

The old man smiled.

“How can a Father not know his own daughter?”

It was a kind, soft and enigmatic, inscrutable smile.

“I am Father Canna.”

For a moment, just a moment, the old man sounded exactly like one of Bekkah’s flightier companions. As if that was supposed to explain everything. He looked up to the Atteran Priestess settling his hands comfortably in his lap.

“This is my Church.”

Again, that kind smile.

“Which makes you my family.

“Welcome home.”

Bekkah

She followed the logic. It still did not explain him knowing her name, but perhaps word had already come from the inn.

"Thank you father." she said bowing her head slightly. When she looked back up into his eyes, she gave him a beautiful smile. Certainly no thorns showing this day.

"You have a lovely garden Father. And what need would I have for thorns? I feel quite safe wherever I have traveled. And I hope one day to set down roots. I suppose, I have yet to find a place that suits me."

"Can I help you in some way father while I am in your village?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
The First Cathedral

Bekkah

The old man looked at the Atteran priestess and then his little garden.

“Why do roses have thorns? For the same reason that mercy can stay the hand of justice, the same reason if you ask for a boon, we are bound to comply. A rose that forgets it has thorns gets eaten by bears.

“I would be sad if you were eaten by a bear.”

At her request, however, he clapped his hands together and smiled.

“First, I request that you do not get eaten by bears.”

He then rubbed his chin, concentrating as if weighing most important matters.

“Second, you shall have dinner with us. I shall make you a salad.”

Father Canna patted the stone step beside him.

“You know what is sad? Sad is making a salad and cutting up cabbage. You slice and dice, yes, yes, but first you cut the cabbage in half, only to discover that its center is bad, where no one, not even Lord Rames, Lord Hastur or even Lady Attera could see, all black and twisted.

“That is a very sad cabbage.”

He looked at Bekkah.

“Tell me of your apprentice.”

Bekkah

She smiled to the elderly man.

"I shall keep my distance from bears." She replied as she sat down where he indicated.

When he asked about Romana, she nodded giving him a knowing smile.

"Ahh. The true question."

"My apprentice is a dedicated healer. She has thrown herself into this like nobody i've ever seen. She has put her old life behind her. I have no doubt of that." She said thinking of the day Romana gave up her gems.

"Believe it or not she simply wants to do good."

"Do you believe I've been fooled by her Eastern magic?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter

As they came around the corner of the Grand Cathedral, Daxia couldn’t help but giggle at the old man’s first request of her sister.

As that would be something Daxia would also prefer — that Bekkah not be eaten by a bear — the statement rather endears the old man to her.

...an old man who is considerably sharper than he lets people believe he is, it would seem.

“If you have been fooled, my sister, then we have all been fooled. And I have grave doubts that I and my Squire have been fooled.”

The Dayalan sighs. “I wonder what the good Lords Rames and Hastur and the most merciful Lady Attera would think of a cabbage whose center is bright with light and exquisitely formed. I am merely a mortal, and a heathen one at that, begging the good Father’s forgiveness... But if I saw such a thing? Well, I would be amazed by it, I think. And I think I would have a powerful desire to protect something so rare.”

Daxia looks first at Bekkah and then the elderly man, her gaze holding respect due him as a wise elder.

“Ah, forgive my rudeness, Father. I know you are wise, but am not sure how much of far off Dawnview you know. I am Lady Bekkah’s sister, Daxia.” She tilts her head and smiles at Kisa. “And this is my dearest friend, Kisa.

“I agree with my Lady sister’s assessment of her apprentice. If our conversations during our journeys had not already convinced me of Romana’s good heart, her help in...” She paused to touch the double star pendant at her throat. “...in Bordertown certainly convinced me that her heart is as true as her teacher’s.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
The First Cathedral

Bekkah, Daxia, Father Canna and Kisa

The elderly man looked between Kisa, Daxia and Bekkah, then back to Kisa again, then to Daxia and then to Bekkah. He sat back, crossed his arms and then nodded once as if coming to an important conclusion.

"Exactly. See, my dear little sister; this lady, she does not walk alone. She has this one to keep her company; all fierce and with pointy things. You know, Kevin and I always have this discussion. If everyone knew how to garden, we wouldn't need to poke things. Except, well, it's hard to garden with paws, I suspect."

He smiled at Kisa.

"You don't have to worry, do you?"

Father Canna turned back to Bekkah.

"Learn from this pretty girl here. Always bring your own protection from bears."

He let out a breath, long and simple.

"As for other riddles, there is only one solution."

His gaze darkened as he considered their words before he looked up again and clapped his hands together.

"You ALL must have dinner with us. You and your apprentice, your sister and hers, and her protected friend. I shall make a salad, we shall have bread and cheese and I'll ask Kevin to cook up some venison. And we can bring Erik in, too, because he needs a few more ladies to order him about. He has to learn how to defend against flustering. There's a lad who can face down twenty-five brigands, three slinks and a merebeast. But a four-year-old girl? Sends him running like he was being chased by... uhm... bears.

"Maybe it all makes sense."

The priest's smile returned.

"Maybe my Lord has kept me around so long because I am meant to see this."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Daxia looked at Kisa and nodded.

But then she turned back to Father Canna and tried not to giggle. “I think Miss Dydd has snared Squire Dean. He, at least, seemed happy enough to play whatever game she was devising. But if he can be pried from Miss Dydd’s grasp, perhaps he would share dinner with us, as well.”

She paused a moment, her blue eyes still glinting with a bit of mischievous humor.

“Of course, he will need to weigh the delight of reuniting with you and his Knight and brother Squire against the embarrassment of hearing me share my thoughts on his skills and comportment since we met. He may well decide to take his chances at the Inn with Dama Kadri and her Jvrillian.” She shrugged. Dean would do what Dean believed to be the right and proper thing. She could always count on him for that. “Unless I’m facing down those brigands, slinks and merebeast with Squire Erik, I’m afraid I’d not be much help in ordering him about.”

She bites her lip to contain her mirth.

“My apprentice, on the other hand, more than makes up for my lack and could well send him running. But I promise to give chase and return him promptly to the party.” Again, she pauses, tilting her head as she considered another option. “Or I could practice that Ladyship thing certain people have told me about. I suspect it’s not as much fun, however.”

Dazi glanced briefly again at Kisa, who looked more bedraggled than Dazi could remember her ever looking. Her Noble bearing — as much as she tried to soften it — was evident and countered her drying and salt crusted clothing and hair to some extent.

“It would be a more comfortable dinner, good Father, if Mistress Kisa and I had the chance to clean up first. Oh, that wall of water you call an incoming tide was a wondrous thing, I can’t deny that! As invigorating as sliding off a snowy roof on a wooden plank into a snow drift! But it does leave one...”

She brushed at her tunic again and chuckled.

“...well, rather a mess. And yet, you see before you two scholars who would love to learn about your Cathedral here. It’s possible that we would forgo comfort for the opportunity to learn something new. Even probable in one case,” she said nudging her friend’s shoulder with her own and smiling at Kisa. She brushed a hand over the head and nodded. “Yes. This is nowhere near as terrible as Eastern Hunting Beast innards.”

The unnerving thing about that statement — even for Dazi if she bothered to think about it — was how casually and easily she said it. As if having the viscera of Eastern Hunting Beasts in one’s hair wasn’t the worst thing one could possibly endure.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
The First Cathedral

Bekkah, Daxia, Father Canna and Kisa

Father Canna looked back, his eyes widening a bit.

“And get between those betrothed? Certainly you know how dangerous it is to get between a Lady and her promised Lordling.”

His head nodded most assuredly.

“It is common knowledge that the Lady Dyddplentyn has proclaimed she will be marrying Squire Dean when she is all grown up.

“Even if it were not his Duty, I do not believe Squire Dean could say no to her.

“Not able to say no, what, yes, maybe, cabbage, cartwright, cauliflower or anything else for that matter, especially under those circumstances.”

He sat back then, resting both arms on the steps behind him.

“There are worse fates in the world. There always are. A boon, my fierce warrior from Dawnview. Do not trade tales of woe with my Knight. He is not called Magesbane for naught and there are indeed things much worse than being covered in a critters blood. Neither of you strikes me as being cruel, even accidentally.”

He waved one hand back and forth and then smiled.

“But for today.

“We are not being eaten by bears.

“It is a good day.”

The elderly man then stood. It was a long and slow and awkward process, one that had Kisa stepping forward to offer him an arm. For a moment, for just a moment, it was almost as if he had planned that polite interaction.

‘Two such lovely scholars. And a kind one too.

“It is indeed a good day.

“Perhaps your apprentice and Kevin’s Squire would be good for each other. Or at least for him. Or at the least entertaining. For us.

“As for scholaring, come come come – you must meet Brother Perrin. It is late enough so that he should be finished with his lessons. Farmer children upon the dawn, to learn about grains and plows and seasons. Fisher children after, to learn of knots and nets and the difference between crabs and lobsters. And then Horses and Castles with her Ladyship. They are quite well matched – if he is in retreat he would enjoy a scholarly distraction.

“And for you, my daughter Bekkah, I am sure her Ladyship would be delighted to meet you. Especially if she is the one losing.”

Bekkah

She smiled at her sister. She had such a wonderful sense of humor, although sometimes a bit subtle.

"I look forward to meeting both Brother Perrin and her Ladyship." she said joining the group as they headed inside.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

She had to smile at the thought of the young whirlwind proposing to the Squire Dean. And leaving him speechless? Oh, without a doubt!

“No tales of woe, good Father, but those of heroism and chivalry. Those are proper tales to tell of a Squire of Lord Rames, are they not? It is a truth that the world holds worse things than a bit of blood and gore.” She paused and very determinedly chose not to think of those things. “Such a boon is easily granted, for my Lady would be as displeased with cruelty as your Lord, I would think. Fierce She is and fierce I might be, but walking the land as my sister did for many years has made me realize...”

Daxia smiled softly, and one might see a look of surprised contemplation on her features.

“...my Lady gives Her followers the freedom to show compassion and mercy in our defense of those who cannot defend themselves. And even to those who can,” she added with a wink.

She might have stepped forward to help him up had she not felt Kisa moving almost as she did. Kisa was a step or two closer to the elderly man. Daxia remained where she was to Kisa this moment to simply be the Noble she would always be. She held her place for a heartbeat before holding her hand out to Bekkah.

“I would venture to guess there are no bears nearby, but one cannot be too careful, da? And had you heard that I’m fierce and have pointy things? Oh. You knew about the pointy things, I suppose.” She leaned her head closer to Bekkah’s as the two of them followed Father Canna and Kisa. “I suspect your Father Canna is correct in thinking Squire Erik and Kay will provide a bit of dinnertime entertainment. I hope I won’t need to knock her head too many times. But she’s a Koromov,” she said with a chuckle. “They’re a rather feisty lot, or so I’ve heard.”

Dean hadn’t ever said much about his teachers and most of what he’d said had been about Sir Kevin. Still, Father Canna had already proven to be a far more interesting person than Dean had hinted at. She was very much looking forward to meeting Brother Perrin. She wondered, too, if her Ladyship would be — in Kay’s words — as growly and grumpy as the other elder Priestesses of Bekkah’s Lady. Not that Dazi had been the least bit bothered by it. In fact, thinking back on it, she found their growly grumpiness more than a little comforting.

Despite serving different Goddesses, the most senior Priestesses of Attera had many traits in common with Starlord Priestess Kassia Dariansdotter.

And the observation didn’t seem the slightest bit odd to Starlord Priestess Daxia Yurisdotter.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
The First Cathedral

Bekkah, Daxia, Father Canna, Brother Perrin, Lady Artemesia and Kisa

"Come... come... come... the sun will be setting and if we tarry I am sure one of them will win and the other will be vexed that they were not saved by a timely intervention. Or squirrels. Once a squirrel took an interest in Felli's castle and it took Sir Kevin three days to get it back."

He looked at the three women seriously.

"None of you are squirrels, are you? One can never tell. Squirrels are sneaky."

He walked around the Cathedral, crossing eastwards and then south, passing under the tall tower — the one still standing — until he led them to the cloisters. While most temple residences completely surrounded their court the corners of this arcade were open. It was, if anything, a very trusting layout.

"Tales of Heroism and Chivalry? Oh, I love those. We have many such tales here! Powerful and mysterious and full of daring-do. Certainly you have heard the Tale of Sir Kevin Magesbane and the Rebellious Roof? How can one not tremble in fear of the Gaping Hole that Let The Rain In? Or Sir Kevin Magesbane and the Capture of Miss Harlowe's Speedy Boar! It was... uhm... Speedy!

"No?

"Not even Sir Kevin Magesbane and the Stampede of Fish? Yes, it is true they may only be two hands tall at best, but there were a fullhand of fullhand and they were stampeding! Them even made it to the Cathedral steps! Yes, it is true it took them until dinner time to get there, but they did grille up quite well."

He peeked back to Dazi, Kisa, and Bekkah.

"Such are the Heroics of Talesan's Village."

He walked beneath and through the arcade. Inside were gardens, within which a simple table with three or so chairs was set. The gardens themselves were an odd collection. All were obviously well tended, but their type and manner were quite varied. Some were gorgeous, bright flowers both cultivated and wild. Some were vegetables, like tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers and, of course, cabbage. What was unique that one square cornered planting was obviously maize and already almost as tall as Kadri.

At the tables sat two people, very studiously focused on the game they played. It was Horses and Castles, and it looked to be a long drawn out game. Most of the pieces on both sides were already off the board and each player only had two left.

Most sensible folks would have called the game a draw long ago.

The man was the elder of the two, younger than Canna and by a hefty amount. He was dressed in Hastur's blue and a big, heavy book rested on his right, his captured pieces rested atop it. He had black hair, shorn as if someone had placed a bowl atop his head and then slashed all around.

"You can't win, Felli."

The woman across from him scowled. She had shoulder length brown hair, garbed in creams and white, looking to be in her late twenties. She tapped the table with her fingers, drumming it threateningly.

"But I shall not lose, Lew. That you can be assured."

"Brother! Sister! I have brought guests!"

The two looked up, at Father Canna's interruption. The Father happily clapped his hand together, turning back to his guests.

"May I present Brother Llewelyn Perrin and Lady Felia Artemesia! One of them is a book reader and the other makes sure I don't forget when Morning Mass is — I keep getting the two of them confused.

"We have guests! And they are not squirrels or bears."

Bekkah

She was not certain of the man's mental status, not by a long shot, but he seemed harmless.

She followed along with her sister and Kisa as they were lead inside.

She greeted the pair with a pleasant smile.

"Well met. This is such a lovely village. The kind, I could call home one day perhaps."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

She followed the elderly Father of Rames, rather interested in his seemingly random comments and stories. Brother Random outside Bordertown might have actually been somewhat dotty, but Father Canna?

No, Dazi suspected that Kadri’s Lady would like this old man quite a bit.

“Oh! I think Dean might have mentioned one of Sir Kevin’s famous tales,” Dazi said. “I think it was the one about the roof. Is that the one in which Sir Kevin gives the roof a stern talking to when it tried to roll him off? I’m sure I would have remembered a tale of stampeding fish, and now wish Dean had shared that one as well.”

When introduced to the Brother and Lady, Daxia executed a perfectly courtly curtsy that even Kassia would not have been able to fault. No mean feat for a young woman with a sword, who was more accustomed to bowing!

“I am pleased and honored to make your acquaintance, Lady Artemesia, Brother Perrin. When Squire Dean manages to speak of home, his tone carries the same feelings for you that I have for my own teachers.

“I am quite fond of them, that is to say. Even their harshest lessons have stood me in good stead in my travels.”

Then she whispered to Father Canna, “Thoughtful reason would suggest the two are interchangeable in the reading of books as well as the reminding of Morning Mass. Although the latter could depend on where the good Father might be meditating when the time of reminding arrived. Observation seems to indicate that the Church Elder in Talesan’s Village is quite clever... quite clever, indeed.”

She smiled sedately. Although her teachers were considerably more straightforward in their teaching methods, teaching with the use of allegory was not completely unknown to her.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
The First Cathedral

Bekkah, Daxia, Father Canna, Brother Llewelyn, Lady Felia and Kisa

“Alas, it seems the travails of life shall force me to abandon this game.”

It would have been a polite withdrawal if it had not been spoken by both Brother and Priestess, at the same time, in the same cadence and manner. They also scowled at each other, as if annoyed the other had spoken first.

It was Brother Llewelyn Perrin who broke the renewed stalemate. He stood, shook out the skirts of his tunic, and walked forward.

“Greetings, and welcome to our Cathedral. We may share the poverty of our liege lord in his Citadel, but a few more at dinner? Our Imperial Lords will provide.”

“Ahem.”

The interruption came from the young Priestess. Brother Llewelyn simply scowled and crossed his arms.

“I am supposed to inform you that it doesn’t hurt that our fair Lady’s kindness has earned the love of all from the farthest manors to the markets of Waverider’s Watch, and she doesn’t mind getting paid in rabbits.

“I hope you are partial to rabbit stew.”

“Ahem.”

The Hastur representative sighed.

“I am also supposed to inform you that having a wonderful set of gardens tended by our beloved Father also helps.”

To that Father Canna simply clapped his hands, his elderly face beaming.

“See, our Imperial Lords do provide!”

Father Canna confirmed the Brother’s claim.

“We are but their representatives upon this land. Well, except for our Brother Conrad. He always had a head as hot as a bonfire that’s as bright as the scarf he wears. He still hasn’t come home. Stomped out in a royal tantrum, just because young Betsy is a lot nicer to deal with when folks need to be parting this world.

“I think he is just jealous.”

“Jealous. Bah.”

Priestess Felia stalked up to face the other Atteran.

“He just hates it when I heal folks out from under his nose.”

“Now. As for you, you Miss Famous Bekkah Farmer’s Friend. You may be older than me and more traveled, but this is my Temple, not yours. I’m still your superior. Which means... which means... which means...

“Fine.

“So it don’t mean much. Or anything. Just don’t be forgetting it.”

The young woman then stormed around Kisa and Daxia, giving the two redheads a stern look up and down. When finished, she stepped back, crossed her arms, and nodded once.

“This one’s polite. Rare quality. She’ll do.”

That was for Kisa; then she focused on the Dayalan.

“Well, you are not the Richter Gwynn, I’ll tell you that. Sure, she is one of yours and comes down to the Compound regular as clockwork. But getting a word in? Cor, I still do not believe she knows how to speak. Silent as a rock, as communicative as a dead fish and as conversational as a cobble block.”

She nodded sternly at Daxia.

“You.

“You, however...

“You I like.”

Father Canna smiled.

“See. It will be a wonderful dinner.

“You are already family.”

Bekkah

She watched the interactions, keeping her look to a friendly smile. As the Atteran addressed her, her eyebrow raised slightly then she frowned slightly before the smile returned.

"Of course, I am merely a visitor, I will not interfere in your temple in the slightest."

*And why does everyone have to remind me that I'm older.* she thought, which had been the cause of the frown.

She still thought of herself as young and vibrant, but it seemed the world was forcing her into the status of Old Maid and she didn't like it, not one bit.

"Famous? How could that be? I simply share my Lady's healing with those who need it. Nothing more than any other Lady would do." she said sounding genuinely confused.

*How could anyone call me famous, when I'm standing next to Dazi?* she thought even more confused.

Last edited by Nivek; Mon 06/07/15 12:19 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Dazi exchanged a look with Kisa, then nodded to the Brother. “Oh, yes. Rabbit stew and the bounty of your gardens do sound like a feast indeed.”

She listened to the exchange between the Imperials. Brother Conrad... oh, my. A recognized follower of Jagnar? Perhaps it was best that Brother Conrad had stomped off. Even if the scarves worn by followers of Jagnar were the only similarity to the followers of a certain One Who Shall Not Be Named, that was more than enough of a similarity. And so Betsy would be... one of Krysta’s? Well, that would make sense.

Dazi did have to bite the inside of her lip, however, while watching the... almost conversation between the Lady Artemesia and Bekkah. Poor Bekkah.

But even more quickly, she and Kisa came under the Priestess’ scrutiny. Well, they’d both experienced Priestess Kassia’s scrutiny, so... that was that. She nodded at the Atteran’s words.

“Well, my Lady...” Then Daxia grinned broadly. “I like you, too. Cobble block, indeed! And to be as conversational as one!” She didn’t clap her hands together with the happiness Father Canna displayed, but she did bounce a time or two on her toes. “Oh, how wonderful!”

She looked at her sister, then gave her a quick hug. “I know that look. And you’re being silly again, maybe as silly as a cobble block.” She chuckled. “Of course you’re famous. And more famous than your fierce sister who carries pointy things! No, no... that little teensy crease between your eyebrows and your almost frown that only your best sister would recognize tells me what you’re thinking. It’s my thinking — and maybe I’m wrong but maybe I’m not — that your Lady’s followers travel as frequently as my Lady’s followers. And probably as far and wide, too. And your Lady’s followers are well-loved even by those who don’t care much for my Lady’s followers. So yes, you’re famous. And yes, more famous than Dazi!

“And don’t you giggle at us, Mistress Kisa!”

Dazi touched a finger to Bekkah face, right next to her mouth, and drew the finger upward a finger width or so... barely touching Bekkah’s skin. It was a gesture a tiny, chubby toddler had used with far less dexterity — even before Mama and Papa had died — to get her big sister to smile.

“And look, Bekkah! Did you hear what the good Father Canna said? Family! We have family at both ends of the world!”

Daxia turned to the giggling but not giggling Kisa and tucked the Heir against her side in a warm hug.

“Remember when we were the only family we had, Bekkah? And that we were far apart for a long time?

“I like this better.”

She looked at the Imperials of Talesan’s Village, then the Noble in her embrace, and finally back at Bekkah. She could see the hint of sadness there, too. How could she, the little sister who never understood the fuss of giggling over boys, explain to the big sister with a heart large enough to love the world that...

That what she was looking for would probably sneak up on her as quietly as a snowcat and knock her as senseless as a kick in the head from a horse?

Or that maybe sometimes you have to go home to find your heart’s true desire?

“And our family will grow. It will.”

Bekkah

While she'd always been a positive person, there were many times when Dazi shone so much brighter. This was one of those moments.

She couldn't help but smile, especially when Dazi touched her lip with her finger like she had when she'd been a little girl on Bekkah's lap.

"I suppose you are right. I think of fame, being applied to people who go out of their way to do something special. When I bring healing to a play that never had it, it's not worthy of fame, it's just needed." she said shrugging.

"And of course I remember being apart from you for years. I thought of you every day." she said fondly.

"But no, I don't know that our family will grow anymore. In my case, too many see me as solely a Lady and not a woman. That may not be my calling. My Lady has blessed me with her power and I dearly love sharing her blessings with people in need."

As delightful as Dazi was being, perhaps it was all the time spent with Dazi when she was very young, that returns Bekkah to these feelings of longing.

Last edited by Nivek; Mon 06/07/15 15:57 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

“Well, if that’s what fame is,” Dazi said with a smile, “then neither one of us is famous! You follow your heart to heal those who need healing. I follow my heart to protect those who need protecting and to make right the things that are wrong. We’re both just a couple of ordinary young women from the Vale, daughters of a beautiful, kind lady named Yuri and a strong, loving man named Eelia.”

She looked at Kisa while suppressing a giggle. “Don’t you dare contradict me either, Mistress Kisa.”

Then the Dayalan surveyed the Imperials once more, studying each of them in turn. She spent a few extra heartbeats studying Father Canna before looking at her sister again.

“But that’s not what fame is, Bekkah. The people who go out of their way to do special things... oh, they might become well-known, that’s true... for a time. But you are loved by the people of the Tarn because you followed your heart and brought your Lady’s mercy to places where others didn’t go. Ah, Bekkah, don’t pay attention to talk of fame! It’s silly stuff.

“Instead, remember that you are as much a hero to every person you have healed as Sir Kevin is to the people of Talesan’s Village.

“Me? Well, I’ve saved a few lives... that’s true. Broke a curse, yes... but oh so many people died that night that my heart hurts from thinking about it! And yes, mayhap I’ve averted a disaster or two with some of my deeds, but who beyond the circle of my traveling companions — and Mistress Kisa — know of their import? Hmm, well, yes... those who live in the grandest keeps of the land. Perhaps.”

Dazi shrugged. The individual lives she impacted in a positive way... they were important, there would be no denying that. But they were few. Then she smiled even more brilliantly as she shook her head.

“Sometimes I can’t decide if you are the sillier person or if Mistress Kisa is. I think you take turns. You were quite clever when we traveled through Talantal. Mistress Kisa, on the other hand, almost made me laugh until I cried when she thought it would be a good idea to watch me spar with Captain Koromov.”

“I didn’t think that was particularly amusing, Dazi,” Kisa commented.

“Only because you didn’t believe me when I told you the Captain would beat me purple and other colorful colors!”

Dazi looked at Father Canna. “Now, there’s a fierce person who is exceptionally fierce. Why, I don’t think she’d even need to think about her pointy things because bears would run away from her. Squirrels, too. Maybe even stampeding fish. Though I’m not sure she could defeat Rebellious Roofs or Gaping Holes as well as Sir Kevin.”

Looking back at her sister, Dazi said, “Tcha, Bekkah! Today you’re silly because it’s obvious most people will see you as a Lady who serves the Kindest One. Just as most people will see me as... well, a fierce and possibly crazy woman with a sword. It is because you are so kind... that is what people see first. It is because I carry a sword... that is what people see first.

“Indeed, indeed! Did your own apprentice not see my sword and fear me? Yes! But now we are friends. She has seen beyond the sword... I have seen beyond her heritage.”

Then Daxia smirked. “And I don’t think Master Finn was thinking about you as a Lady, no, I don’t. I do believe he thought that you were a very pretty not at all old woman. Ha! I’m right. You know it.”

And finally, Dazi did giggle.

“Do you think the fierce Captain Koromov is old? You’re very close in age, you two. Well, don’t tell her if you do, because... well, she’d probably bash me purple again in your stead because it wouldn’t be proper to even thump a Lady of Attera on the head.”

Dazi reached out and lightly thumped Bekkah on the head.

“...unless the Lady of Attera is your big sister and she’s being silly.”

Bekkah

Her not-so-little-anymore sister could always make her laugh and smile. This was no exception.

And she even made her blush a lovely shade of red at the mention of Finn.

She took the knock on the head with a smile, then reached out and hugged Dazi tightly.

"I do love you squirt." she said admiringly.

"Now, no more talk of fame or our deeds."

She let go of Dazi and looked to the Lady of the temple.

"So, Lady Artemesia, tell me of your village and those you administer to."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

“I love you, too, best sister,” Dazi said as she returned Bekkah’s hug.

She twined her fingers with Kisa’s again and watched Bekkah interacting with Lady Artemesia for a moment. She didn’t know how to pray for Bekkah to find her one true love. Perhaps Dayala wouldn’t mind if she just whispered a few words to the Lady of Healing. Dazi had never thought she would or could or even should find the kind of love her sister deserved. And yet... she lightly squeezed Kisa’s fingers.

She understood that there was right and there was wrong... and that fair was neither. Still, it didn’t seem right or fair that someone who possessed as much love and compassion as Bekkah should live forever without the kind of love Dazi felt for Kisa. Why, it almost made her want to have a conversation with the Deities! Except... no. She really did not want that. All she really wanted was for Bekkah to be happy. Yes, Bekkah found so much joy in sharing the love of her Lady... but she knew there was something missing from her life. Dazi, on the other hand, very well could have lived her whole life in service to Dayala and not noticed anything missing.

Not for the first time, Daxia reflected on her good fortune that Kisa was both bolder and less clueless about matters of the heart than she was.

She glanced at Kisa, love in her eyes and smile, before turning to Brother Perrin. “Now that Bekkah and I have concluded today’s meeting of our mutual admiration society, Kisa and I — being the scholars of our party — would very much like to learn about your Cathedral. It is the first Imperial Cathedral on the mainland, yes? It must have the most interesting history.”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talesan’s Village
The First Cathedral

Bekkah, Daxia, Father Canna, Brother Llewelyn, Lady Felia and Kisa

"For certain definitions of ordinary, aye..." Kisa replied quietly to Daxia, letting her shoulders rise and fall, a simple a quiet gesture.

The Dawnview heiress then let her attention drift toward Bekkah, considering all their words for a long set of heartbeats.

"Kinswoman, believe me, it is far better to be famous for the little things you have actually done than to be famous for the large things you have not.

"I shall always be judged by my great great great grandmother's snowbound fate, a title that has dogged our family since the beginning of this Age.

"The reason I have come west is to see those small things, to learn those small things. The little things you consider common are not just rare and valuable, they will be my shield when Winter comes to the Vale and I need to remember that I do not have to be The Snowqueen."

As she spoke, so quiet and assured, Brother Llewelyn let his head tilt as if he was seeing puzzle pieces falling into place. Perhaps he was matching stories and tales to a face framed in locks of red. His cohort, the Lady Felia, simply crossed her hands and quirked a brow.

It was Father Canna who took action; he smiled brightly, shook out his tunics and walked right up to Daxia and Kisa.

"I know exactly what you need, young Miss."

The Oh no... what are you going to do now? look on Brother Llewelyn's face was priceless.

With care and deliberation, the older gentleman disentangled Dayalan and Noble, as one might two little children no more than knee high. Perhaps it was surprise that had Kisa allow it, and even more surprise when the highest Priest of the Imperial Court locked arms with her, almost like — no, exactly like — a father might promenade with his daughter.

"I know exactly what you need, young Miss."

He then took a step away, even if the first one was an almost drag of the young Allaine.

The Brother of Hastur placed his hand over his face. The young Atteran just chuckled.

And if allowed to do so, he would take the castle-born lass to the more practical portions of the garden.

"You need to learn how to tend maize. Come, come, come..."

"Talesan's Village..."

Lady Felia watched as Kisa was lead away.

"...is kind of like Father Canna there. Safe, harmless and quaint.

"Until you try living here for a while."

She gave Brother Llewlyn a look, her brow raising.

"Well, am I wrong?"

Without even waiting for an answer she continued.

"Well, as anyone can see, we got the farms and we got the docks and we got the Cathedral smack dab in the middle. Even during Mass, lassie, the fisherfolk sit in the western pews and the farmers the east. Mostly it's because hard times hit. Farmers, they got it lucky; what's planted grows quite reasonable like and they only have to worry for a corrupted bear or other strangeness wandering out of the Forest.

"Or what walks out of the river."

The Priestess crossed her arms.

"The fisherfolk, however, are dependent on the fish, and they come and go, and it's not like planting seed. A generation back we had more fish than we knew what to do with, everyone was prosperous, and Talesan's was Father Canna and Khorall Larsen's big happy family.

"Excepting it came at an unexpected cost.

"Seems they ran out of fish.

"Which made things quite hard for them. It's kind of understandable that they looked to the fields with a mite of jealousy; they were barely scraping by while the harvest inland was steady and dependable.

"They became closed and tight; one has a better chance of peeking into Dama Larsen's boudoir than seein' what's in the mind of a fisherman.

"Add to that the fact that fishing isn't the safest way of making a living. You want to know who we tend? Now and then there's a person that gets hurt in the fields, but every evening when the fleet comes back in, I'm there on the stone pier. It's far too easy for something to go wrong out there. They can't afford to come back without fish, so if someone gets hurt, more than likely by the time they get home it's gone from bad to much worse.

"Happily, the fish seem to be coming back.

"True, some of the fish are sharks, but anything that puts food on the table, it is supposed to be a blessing, yes?"

The priestess wrinkled her nose.

"Though it hasn't done anything to improve their mood; only made them even quieter.

"But give it time. They have had it very rough."

Brother Llewelyn spoke up, making sure his compatriot had finished her say - at the least, for now.

"It's been a disheartening problem. Because they've had to be out longer and more often, they haven't been able to make it to church very often any more. But enough of our problems, we would not wish to burden our guests with such.

"It is a nice day and Vespers isn't until after dusk.

"I'd love to listen to your tales, both of you.

"Maybe offer one or two in exchange myself. We may not have the libraries that other keeps might share. But when a good story comes our way, we remember it."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

As Kisa said her piece, Daxia simply watched. Others had said similar things to Bekkah. In this, the sisters could absolutely agree: neither wanted fame, both believed the other deserved it. The cunning Father... ah! Now there was a brilliant man.

When he separated them — nay, he merely had to speak of knowing a thing! Daxia saw a lovely little Path. She smiled and nodded to Kisa; when her friend seemed hesitant, she nudged her along with the Father.

The Dayalan didn’t quite chuckled along with the Atteran, at least not until she saw Brother Perrin’s expression.

“No, no, Brother... truly, it’s an excellent thing!” she said, watching Kisa going off to her farming lesson. “Mistress Kisa cares very much for her people. And the numbers in her big books of tax ledgers aren’t just numbers. She understands that, and I learned a great deal about... Well, quite a bit more than most, I would have to say.”

Looking at the Brother of Hastur, she continued, “But a book won’t tell you what good soil feels like, da? Or just how fine and lovely the silky tassels on maize look and feel like, da?” She nods again. “Father Canna is quite clever.”

She listened to the Priestess’ lesson, attentive and remembering it all for later.

The odd thing? Taking Kisa’s earlier worry and setting it beside Felia tale of the farmer folk and the fisher folk showed her no new Paths. Conflict... in the open and seen, but was there hidden conflict as well?

The people of Talesan’s Village have their Lord, who is a Larsen, and everyone likes the Larsens. They have the Imperials to care for them... and it was very clear that they cared much. Why, from time to time, they even had Richter Gwynn... who apparently kept all her words inside her head, not only the ones that belonged there. A Hunter, too, if she overhead Mistress Ari correctly... and one of Krysta’s Ladies.

Sad, though, that the fisher folks didn’t seem to be any happier now that their fish were returning. Clearly it made the Imperials unhappy not to see them at their Mass. But they have been working so much longer and harder. And fishing is more dangerous than farming — didn’t she mention that to Kisa that on the walk over? Indeed, she did!

And it wouldn’t surprise her at all if her sister offered to help Lady Felia. That’s just how kind Bekkah was!

She glanced from Brother to Lady, then sidelong at Bekkah with a mischievous smile.

“Well, there’s the tale of Highside Heather, but while there is heroism, there is also too much sadness.” Dazi shook her head. “A happy thing happened, true, but mostly it was just sadness and death.

“Now, the tale of the Hospice in the First Ring of Talantal, on the other hand! That’s a fine tale. Or the healing of the Korie son! That’s a lovely one, too. I rather like that one, for now Dom Dominie won’t be cross with me, for I did tell him I’d cart Bekkah off to Talantal so she could look in on Lord Tray.”

She grinned at Bekkah and nodded once. “But you should tell those stories, for you did all the work! I was merely talking — yes, quite a bit, I’ll admit it — and all of a sudden the Noble Families Allaine and Korie are working together!” She shook her head. “Maybe Kisa should tell that one...”

Bekkah

She accepted the words from both her sister and the others with grace, but she still didn't see anything fame worthy. How was she any different than a farmer who tended his garden to feed his family. She just did what she was meant to do.

She smiled as Father Canna dragged Kisa off. She watched her sister and the smile let her instantly know that it was okay. Her words confirmed it. She still couldn't believe that their Queen was involved with her own sister. Now that was something fame worthy, but of course none would speak of it.

She listened to the tales of the fisherfolk. It seemed unfortunate, but she was no fisherman, she had no idea if it was normal or not.

And then Dazi put her front and center again, earning her that stern, older sister look that she had used infrequently when Dazi have been a toddler, warning Dazi to stop.

"No, sister dear, there is no tale there. Your own are far more fantastic, although I shall not push you into telling them."

"Lady Artemesia, would you mind if I accompanied you this evening when you meet the fishermen upon their return? I'd be delighted to help if possible."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,828
Posts140,441
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy