Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 15 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: It's best not to discuss the constellations at this points because the background documentation is both vague and incomplete. However, your resident Astrologer is working on making that information less vague and more complete. Unlike other information in the background documentation that the GM wishes to remain both confusing and contradictory, there's no reason for basic knowledge of the MAJOR constellations not to be made public. At some future date. When I get around to it.]

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - I'd have referred to the calendar, but I couldn't find it in the background stuff. At least not easily.)

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: That's because it's a confusing and contradictory hot mess, too. I have a scan to upload eventually. After I fix the problems caused by scanning and the age of the original document.]

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
(Why i settled on location and "in about a month"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Also, DO NOT ask Daxia about ducklings.

JUST DON'T DO IT.

[ooc: You know of course that this just makes us want to ask grin]

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
If you hadn't wandered out of the Hive Mind, you'd know why you shouldn't ask.

Bekkah

She listened and let the woman speak.

"I can get some down here to keep you lot safe."

"Yes, I may leave. I cannot argue that. And perhaps it would not last. Would you prefer I not try? For anything other than getting things going, I cannot make promises. Perhaps, I can get stronger promises from others, but I do not know. I cannot speak for those in charge."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Early Evening, Rameday, the First of Fates

Kadri and Mikal

Dandelion Koromov narrowed her eyes and with just a glance snapped a look at her two companions over the brim of her mug. Then she took a sip, a slow one. Dunwich shrugged his shoulders and it was her other companion, Denys, that spoke up.

“Aye, I know the Watch. On the other side of the river from Barlibert’s farm, down Talesan’s Village way. It’s a small and strange place – and in some ways quite peaceable if you ignore the occasional fish walking down the Rhoni path looking for a bite of lunch. If you are headed west, you should get there about the time we end up Bordertown-ways. So if we are sending folks there, make sure you got someone there to be welcoming them. Someone who’s trustable.

“Speaking of trust, don’t trust anyone who doesn’t live there. While it is a Korie outpost, those sent to serve the watchkeeper are usually sent there because they have done something deserving it.

“Oh.

“And never bother the locals on market day. Visit the nearby farms the day before or the day after. Disturbing the nearby trade never ends well.”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Noon, Rameday, the First of Fates

Bekkah

The elder woman just chuffed out a sharp breath.

“Lassie. You are not like the kids they sometimes send down here. The twins usually, because they have no parents to look after them and are wards of the Cathedral. Did you not ever wonder why no one questions when they are told to follow you?

“You have your own apprentice. Your choice could be considered quite barmy, but the children like her. It’s all they can talk about. Their Monster-lady. And while those in the Fifth Ring might laugh at your efforts way down here, they know that between the twins, your soft hearted nightmare, and a ranking Priestess from the other side of Silk Creek – the Farmer’s beloved – they have been shamed.”

She waved her hand at her two… apprentices… still looking at the broken window.

“You pair of mischief makers, go find a woodcarver to fix our window, won’t you? Tell them diamond panes, by order of this fine Imperial Lady. Then put on your best and it's off to the Second Ring glassblowers with you. “

Eyes wide, the two gathered up the hems of their skirts and rushed out of the old brothel. The elder returned her attention to Bekkah.

“You are not just a Lady.

“You are an Imperial lady.

“Of course you can speak for those in charge. Because it is you who is in charge.

“True, you will be leaving.

“But while you are still here this is your Ring. Don’t squander your time. That was a promise I sent those to out to fulfill: that you will bring change.

“Off with you.

“I am trusting you to not make me a liar.”

Bekkah

A true Imperial Lady might not take too well to be talked to like this woman did, but Bekkah only thought of herself as an Imperial Lady when she needed others to see that. With the people, she was simply Bekkah and she'd spent much of her life with people such as these and she was more than comfortable among them.

So she greeted the woman's order with a smile.

"You've seen a bit of my real personality amongst the people here. Now I will go and show others might more forceful side. You will not be made to look the fool. Neither of us will."

"I can leave these two here while I make my way back up to the Keep if you like. I don't think any will cause trouble for you with them here. And I will instruct them to be on their best behaviour."

Either way, Bekkah started back up to the keep. Her first task would be to get protection for the place and she knew exactly where to turn there. She knew the squires would be bound to protect the women of the place.

Then she intended to have a talk with the new Seneschal as well as the High Priestess. It was going to be a busy day and that made Bekkah smile as she headed back up the path. Nothing made her smile like leeping busy and doing good for those that needed her the most.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Afernoon, Rameday, the First of Fates

Bekkah

Finding the Seneschal was not hard – it was not as if Bekkah did not know where his tower apartments were, nor was there a person who would dare bar her passage at even the Keep gates.

Though, speaking of which, there was a squire, all black and blue, being tended by what was obviously one of the more proper initiates, the young swordsman looking both red and black and blue. That was when Bekkah passed the Second Ring Hospice, from within which came disgruntled sounds of “ … how could you bring one of her type into here …” and that there was just as much disagreement as to what to about a white haired Initiate as there was having someone of such ill-repute beneath their oh so proper roof.

That and another minor disturbance, told in a shocked woman’s voice from inside the hospice.

YOU! You can’t have that – that’s our Squires lunch.”

Followed by the dry and somewhat non-plussed voice of a Dayalan Initiate.

“Huh?

"I won it fare and square.”

In the end, however, it seemed things were pretty much under control – they hadn’t been tossed out, the brothel girl was getting care, Romana was helping with bandages and Kay was eating someone else’s lunch. All was well in the world. As Bekkah climbed higher and higher into the city it became nicer and nice, finer and more fine. There was, also however, a curt and somewhat snarkish comment by the Knight at that last gate, the one letting Bekkah into the Keep itself.

“Back so soon ….”

Which was followed, after a well paced silence.

“… your Ladyship?”

Bekkah then ran into a final guard, just outside Tray Korie’s room. This one was grim, bedecked in a hooded cloak of dark colors, a touch of night in this late midday. This stern sentinel was also, very very very ….

Short.

It was The Mouse; and she didn’t say a word, but when Bekkah approached she just shook her head and did not move from the door. She held her place for a moment, then two, then she stepped aside, beckoning Bekkah to follow. There the little watch guardian both tempted, placated and offered up a piece of cheese, only slightly nibbled, to help pass the time away.

When, down the corridor, the doors to Tray’s room opened and closed - as if previous visitors had completed their own interview and taken there leave – only then did the Mouse lead Bekkah back and properly presented her to the new High Seneschal, all without a word – just an opening of the door, a sweep of a hand (hidden beneath overly long sleeves) and a proper bow.

From behind a table, in a comfortable chair, Tray looked up. He had a goblet of water next to him, that and a basket of cheese (of course), bread and muffins.

“Lady Bekkah.”

He smiled,

“And what brings you here this afternoon? I am still so vey thankful for your care. Though it seem once I got well, everyone and his brother, sister, aunt, uncle and cousin twelve times removed has something to be wanting. Well, except for Lady Jasmine; she is worried about what I’ll do with her tithes and is the only one who wants me to do nothing!”

Bekkah

She made her way back to the Palace and anyone who watched her as she walked up the hill saw a transformation from kind healer to Imperial Lady.

She met Mouse's eyes and did not smile. She looked as imperious as ever as she waited to see Lord Trey.

Only once inside did she relax again, letting herself once again be the simple country girl she was at heart.

She gave Trey her most beautiful smile.

"Well, I will not say I'm sorry that I helped you become healthy enough to have these problems."

"But I suppose I am no different than many others seeking your aid."

"I would like to establish a place of healing within the first ring. It would require funding to get it started as well as to help maintain it. These are the people who require healing more than the ones who currently have access to it. It will also go a long way to ensuring the people's loyalty towards the nobles. More work done at their level can only help the entire realm."

"I am willing to dedicate myself to the cause while I am here. But before I approach the Grand Priestess about this, I wanted to make sure I had your backing as well as that of the Squires."

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri looks over to Mikal.

"Someone trustworthy. Got it."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Early Afternoon, Rameday, the First of Fates

Bekkah

Looking into the Mouse’s eyes is one of those easier said than done things. First, she is short enough to rival Kadri. Second, she is so strangely shy – looking this way and that to avoid being focused on, and full well knowing that if she dropped her head her face was even harder to see. And to top it all off was her hooded cloak, which was always worn up, came far forward and cast dark shadows even in the midday. The best that Bekkah could accomplish was a glint of brown.

She did not seem to be bothered by Bekkah’s imperious nature. And if the cheese weren't taken, she’d return to nibbling it herself.

“Grand Priestess?”

Lord Tray laughed.

“Isn’t the proper term 'High Priestess'? Although that does fit Lady Anastasia much better than her apprentice. Grand Priestess somehow matches Lady Jasmine’s personality.”

“However, this would certainly mean modifying the cathedral accounts; or someone else’s. There are some inequities I need to review with my Brother.

“But what you ask is certainly doable. The problem isn’t coin, it's finding people to take up the task and be willing to keep it up. I can certainly offer my support but unless the Cathedral and the Knights are set to maintain it, it will eventually fall to the wayside.

“I cannot convince the Knights of much – they are in the Khorall’s pockets, not mine. But we both know that they can be requested to perform any task by a Lady – and that is the only way to circumnavigate the politics between Cathedral and Crown. As for the temple and your sisters, I am not sure what to recommend.”

He then stopped; stopped and laughed quietly.

“You know my dear Lady, this sounds like the very sort of project one would take up upon retiring from their traditional service to the church.

“You do know someone in that position, don’t you?”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“And stay away from the Market on Marketday.”

Denys gave Kadri a slightly frustrated look.

“Someone not trustable at the Tower can louse up your plans.

“Making a Marketday mistake can louse up your life. Personally, I’d stay on the Talesan’s side of the Blackwater. There you just have Talesan’s to worry about, not Talesan’s and the Forest.

“And if you want to make a handful of crown, pick up a keg of beer from the tavern before you leave. The Farmer’s Tavern, that is. It’s the friendly one, has the best hot baths and the little barmaid is as cute as a button.”

Bekkah

She let him work through things.

"Someone retired?" she mused to herself, then smiled.

"Yes, I do. She'd be perfect. Well if she'd be willing to leave her current home. She could even bring her associate." she said smiling.

"What an excellent idea."

[ooc: I know who you mean, can't remember her name of the Hastur guy. Lady Kay? I tried looking back, but I can't remember where that was exactly. I'm sure Super OCD woman would know :)]

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[Super OCD Woman believes the Evil GM is referring to the locally retired High Priestess, Lady Anastasia.]

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri

"Absolutely. Yet I would have to say that my circle of close confidants in the local area that I would trust unfalteringly are limited in some ways to the servants of Dominic and those with whom I have traveled. Hence my pause for thought. I need to discuss wi those I know and trust to find one who is appropriate."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Afternoon, Rameday, the First of Fates

Bekkah

“Actually I hadn’t thought of that. She does have the twins at her beck and call. I suspect they would follow in a heartbeat. It is true that the Fifth Ring is the paragon of the Talantal social ladder, but down in the First Ring they can actually work with folks instead of hauling water and rolling bandages for their elders. I suspect they will then surprise their so-called betters with a more rapid advancement in their service to Your Lady.”

Taking up a piece of parchment, the Korie lordling scribbled a missive, read it again, dusted it to make sure the ink would not smear and then rolled it tight and bound it with a ribbon. The ribbon was sealed with a dabbing of wax that was then impressed by Tray’s ring.

“Take this to Lady Anastasia – it is a pittance to start and sets up a small allowance. But then crowns carry a lot more weight in the First Ring than higher up.”

Smiling, Tray leaned back. “And I thank you and wish you well on your way. Starting one’s work with the founding of a Hospice – one cannot begin with better auspices, aye?”

Taking her leave from the lordling’s tower, Bekkah was then able to return to the Cathedral. Her welcome within was definitely of a different atmosphere, as she returned alone. Her apprentice was obviously still somewhere in the lower rings and today it seemed the white princess’ bodyguard was the one stirring up more trouble. Or, at the least, that was what could be divined from overhearing Squires grousing.

“I don’t care if she’s a girl. She don’t act like a lady, then she can be hit!”

Lady Anastasia was not hard to find; she was in the cloisters commons, resting on a bench with a basket of bread, cheese, a large book and an urn of scrolls.

“Lady Yurisdotter…”

The retired church elder looked up, her head tilting.

“I admit, I have been looking up precedent. It seems we are both right, to Lady Jasmine’s chagrin. There is no censure on any serving our Lady. Interestingly, and this was when Lady Jasmine threw me out of the Library, there seem to be some very, very old mentions of men practicing the healing arts with Her blessing.

“Nor is there any censure on those who may serve as our Protectors. It is true that they are supposed to be kind and virtuous and chivalrous… we shall pray that the softness of your Apprentice’s heart rubs off on the heart of your sister's Apprentice.”

Closing the book she looked up to the – technically – second rank Lady of the Temple, something that neither Jasmine, Hastur or Rames could gainsay as long as Bekkah as was in Talantal.

“How may an old chirurgeon serve you?”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

Denys waved his hand in the air as he once again took up his drink.

“Well, they be that-a-ways if I remember right. But then Talantal is a big place, so it’s easy to get misplaced.”

Dandelion simply rested back against the bar, looking at a mostly empty mug.

“Do not forget to look beyond the sword. It is true that Barris Ironhand is one of the best between mountains and sea. But his true skill is being able to figure out how to accomplish anything I ask of him.

“And I have asked some very outrageous things... not the least of which is how to best the might of Montague.

“They know we are coming. And just knowing that gives them a great advantage. So we have to turn that around.

“You face the same thing. That a Korie Lady is loose on the Highland Path will become known the moment you step through the gates and ride west. It’s a good thing you have Mikal and Daxia with you though they may not fully agree.”

Bekkah

He was rewarded with a most beautiful smile and a deep curtsey when he agreed.

"Thank you. I will see if the good Lady shares my interest in this venture."

She pretty much bounced out of his office with excitement.

She greeted Lady Anastasia with a smile that probably tipped the wise woman that Bekkah was up to something.

"I have a favor to ask, a rather large one in fact." she began.

"But first, let me back up a bit. After my initial training, I was told to travel the lands, going from village to village to offer healing to those that needed it. It was an amazing experience. Never have I felt closer to our Lady. I also gained a certain selfish satisfaction by helping those that need it the most. They were always appreciative and I always felt like I was sharing the wonder of Our Lady's grace with them."

"The initiates here do not normally see that. They do mundane tasks and are practically sheltered from the working people. I think Marcy and Darcy would both admit that they now feel closer to our Lady since they've been helping those in the first Ring."

"And this brings me at last to the favor I'd ask of you. I would like to see a place of healing be setup in the First Ring. A place for initiates to truly gain skill in their arts. I have a place to begin along with a steady stipend from Lord Tray to help with the operation." she said holding up the scroll.

"I also believe we should have no trouble asking for the help of the squires for protection. All I need is for someone to lead the operation."

"And I was wondering if perhaps you might be interested." she said watching Lady Anastasia's eyes.

"I suspect that if I start it and then leave, it will fall apart, or be dismantled unless someone well respected runs the place."

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Let's just say that when one keeps constant company with Koromovs, it is occasionally of use to have a Knight of Rames in reserve, or perhaps in this case a noble and steadfast Jivrillian and a lady of the sword with a solid moral core. not to forget a Rhoni with a free spirit and a hunter true to their aims. Of course the conscience of an Atteran - or the skewed view of a newer Atteran. A person is only partly themselves and as much is the company they keep. Every person you call friend or ally is a part of you. The key, however, to running a good bluff is to let your opponents think they know what you are up to. That they have seen through your deception."

"But I babble. Your advice is very much appreciated.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He hums to himself. "Perhaps. Though we could throw off the scent for a bit. Have someone pretend to be Kadri for a time, locked up in her rooms where only her servants see her. She and I could ride out in disguise, separately, and join the others on the trail. Once it was discovered she was gone, it might take a bit for anyone to figure out wher4e she'd gone."

He pauses.

"Question is, is it worth the trouble? Do we want it publicly known that a Korie Lady has sponsored a Troop of Jvrillians? Or would we be best off keeping people guessing. A new Troop with an unknown sponsor and unknown allegiances? I can see benefits to both."

He looks at Kadri. "The one might make you a target, though. The other gives us more freedom to act in unexpected ways."

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
KenSeg
KenSeg
Jensen Beach, Florida
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,470
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy