Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nivek), 38 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"She glances back.

"I am not in possession of vast tracts of land."

She pauses a moment.

"At least I don't think I am."

She pauses again.

"Actually, I don't know if I am, tell the truth."

Online Content
Bekkah

She felt for Romanas and felt a desire to give her a hug. She sat down on the bed and put an arm around her, pulling her closer to give her a kiss on the head.

"And we shall do just that. Easing the pain of others. I find no greater joy." she said with a smile, letting go of her.

"And yes, I'm certain there will be muffins. The cooks here are reputed to be quite good. But if you want a warm one, then you best be getting up." she said with a kind smile.

She too enjoyed a muffin with a cup of tea. She greeted Marcy and Darcy with a smile. Before she could properly greet them, the elderly Atteran sat down beside her. She also noticed Lady Jasmine, but ignored her.

"I had no plans yet today. Do you know of some that could use our Lady's blessing?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Morning, Rameday, the First of Fate

Bekkah

"...khhhhhyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ... eee ... eee ... eee .... eeeeeeeek ..."

It was not a playful cry, it was not an angry cry, it was a cry that definitely had a Dayalan take a step into the room with sharp black eyes and without the benefit of deep set cultural traditions against harming those of Lady Attera.

Romana actually cringed, an instinctive beat-into-her reflex. kay took a hard step forward and then stopped, the sound of her foot echoing in the small room - and it was only friendship and the fact that bekkah was her mentor's sister that stayed her hand.

"You ..."

The white haired girl's protector harshly barked out, caught her breath, and then consciously softened her words.

"You are scaring her."

Romana looked back, for a moment, and it was indeed fear Bekkah saw in her eyes, fear of being touched, fear of being so close - it was somewhat like ... no exactly like ... an old old wound being torn open. Her head immediately ducked and fell as she curled up about herself, and when let go only then looked back and whispered a broken,

" ... appy ... appy ... appy-o-logies ... "

It should not had been a surprise ... remembering, Romana had been uncomfortable with the children's attention - that must have been balanced by something else ... a deeper than usual belief that children should not be hurt. That and she fell asleep on Kay's shoulder ... not the other way around.

Some wounds, it seemed, could not be cured with a spell.

Lady Anastasia folded her hands on the table and looked back to the younger Priestess ... and it was a rare thing that bekkah could be referred to as younger amidst those she traveled with.

"On one hand returning to the First Ring would be the kind thing to do - it would show that Our Lady's kindness was something not just a midsummers gift, a momentary kindness. that would b a very good thing.

"It is my strongest recommendation. That said ..."

She looked between Bekkah and Romana.

"There is a measure of wisdom in testing your youngling with a new challenge to see how she reacts. She is your student and you know her better than me and what would be best for her.'

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

At the west Korie's words the elder Kierkegaard chuckled.

"That depends on your husband.

"Beneath the Khorall, the youngest of three brothers is entitled to lands and coin to maintain himself in service to the Khorall. Usually this is a single share of five. Of course the heir gets three shares and the second gets two. On one hand that is a tremendous amount of wealth ... on the other hand your husband only gets it ...

" ... in service to the Khorall. Who owns everything until he dies.

"Now, and I mean no insult, your husband is not the most responsible of Lords. and while his actions afield are, to say the very least, interesting ... they do him no favors here. However he has not been disowned yet; it seems his servants are an extremely canny sort. thus if you need to inquire as o your own allowance, I should talk to Talantal's new Exchequer."

From behind him, Kristof's heir laughed.

"On the other hand, when the Lords of the land are off to do their lordly work, who do you think manages the household.

"Your sister, she knows her numbers, correct?"

As he mounted the Khorall of Kierkegaard spared his last words directly to Mikal.

"When you are at step four or five come to the Black Mountains and you will be well received.

"As for now ...

"Determine what your first step is ...

"And set yourself on it with all your determination."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"No insult taken, I myself tend towards the interesting as well. And while the traditional responsibilities of a lord might not be among them - there are many, many things at which Dominic is quite responsible indeed. Responsibility, and honor, comes in many forms."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
oocly peeks in - I suspect the Holidays have attacked. Your past actions seem to have rewarded you with some very powerful and wealthy allies who will help you reach your goals ... though you aren't quite in the position to call those favors in.

So now is your chance to take those first steps in that direction ... figure out what you want to do to get things rolling and we'll see where it takes you.

As for Bekkah ... it is a similar thing. You have an Initiate ... how do you want to train her?

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He knows what he needs to do, but first he has to talk to Kadri privately so he waits until she completes her business here and they return to her rooms.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
(And let's say that happens)

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Once they are where they can speak privately, he relaxes a bit and asks Kadri, "Can you find out how much money you have access to? I need to go to the local Jvrillian Chapterhouse and start spreading the word I am recruiting. I know a few who can get the word out into the field to some of my former Troopmates. I will need to talk to Daxia about her being able to be my second and recruiting Dayalans, and then we'll need to see about asking Darian if she is willing to create a scout contingent. If not, if we could find some followers of Arilys, that would work as well. Not exactly sure how to find those, and I know Darian, so I want to ask her first."

"In any case, once I put word out for Jvrillian and Dayalan recruits I am going to need funds to pay them. And we won't be bringing in any coin at first. Training will take a while and we're going to have to look at that as an investment in the future. Once the Troop is trained we can start taking paying jobs."

"So, I need to know how may I can hire, and that depends on our finances."

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 28/12/14 20:45 UTC.
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She laughs quite merrily.

"One does not simply find people such as you mention. One at most might put the word that something which might be of amusement could be happening out on the wind and hope it reaches the right ears and that those ears agree that, indeed, there is amusement to be had. Those of the fox are independent folk, not liable to come to a summons, who come in like water and like the wind they go. I can attempt to see if I can start a rumor mill. It is likely the best I can do on that count."

"As for finances ... My noontime meeting was to be with the one who could provide me with that answer. Which should prove convenient no?"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sun 28/12/14 23:54 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Yes. We will also need a place for them to quarter and train. I suppose we could start sending them to Kierkegaard in advance of the mounts. I'll need to see if Daxia can go with the first group."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: Dazi is glad she doesn't know what you're talking about because she'd be laughing herself silly right now. Actually... all things considered, she could use a good laugh. The only problem is that she might not stop. Laughing, that is.]

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Noon, Rameday, the First of Fate

Kadri and Mikal

Noontime came; the sun reaching its zenith announced by the tolling of the bells of the Talantal cathedral, the bright sound drifting down from the fifth ring all the way to the main gates.

Kadri's arrival was not similarly announced, however.

Instead, when she knocked on the doors to Tray Korie's suite first the door was opened a crack ... a pair of short beady eyes peering out from a deeply shadowed hood suspiciously. Once the little girl recognized who was waiting, she silently opened it full, hiding behind it as she made room for the two to enter.

The suite was a bit different. Today the outer room was occupied. A large table had been brought in and racked about it were barrels and stubby ceramic pots - each containing a number pf scrolls. many too were rolled out across the table, covered in well ordered text - perhaps ledgers of some manner or sort.

The windows had been thrown open, letting in fresh air and sunlight; this library was now a bright space and no longer a sick room.

The Korie lord sat in a plain, rugged chair - something borrowed from the kitchens perhaps, and was going over the records with a careful concentration. When the two entered his part of th tower he looked up, smiled and nodded.

"Dear sister ... Mikal ... make yourself comfortable. The big fancy chairs should not go to waste."

His borrowed servant closed the door behind them and then scurried back to her place - a small stool and table set just for her, next to Tray, where she nibbled at a plate of apple and cheese.

"Thank you, Miss Mouse."

Tray then returned his attention to his visitors. He tapped his fingers on the documents before him.

"This is the part of bing a Noble no on tells anyone about."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He notes all the scrolls and nods internally that he is once again happy that Jvrill frowns on writing and reading.

Seeing no one else in the room, he takes one of the offered chairs.

"Well, my Lord, most Nobles I know hire someone to do all that", he waves a hand at the piles of scrolls, "for them. Naturally it encourages a bit of corruption, but then some of them hire someone to watch the person they hired to do the work too."

He grins.

"In fact, one minor Lordling I once met told me he only became suspicious if the one he hired showed too much honesty and there was no signs of him stealing. 'A little stealing', he told me, showed he could trust the man. 'No stealing' meant the man was up to something horribly worse."

He sighs. "Still", he taps his head, "I keep everything up here. No way for anyone to take it or alter it without my say."

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 04/01/15 16:25 UTC.
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri :

"And of course, back home, I would not be expected to trouble myself with such things, that being the place of whatever unfortunate soul they picked to be my betrothed."

She smiles winningly.

"That being the case, of course _I_ wish to know what resources are within my circle of responsibiity."

She makes a circle with the fingers of both hands before laying them on the table.

"I have some projects in mind and would see what I have available to dedicate to their completion."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

Tray looked up to Mikal and could not help but chuckle.

“A little stealing …

“Is like being a little bit pregnant.”

The Korie Lordling leaned back, setting down his quills and capping the small glass jar of ink.

“Look at the choices made about you.

“The Dayalan Knight and Her Lady. The Allaine Heir’s bodyguard … and her Lieutenants. Even my little Brother – the most mischievous, irresponsible and unpredictable of the bunch, and yet he chose you to trust with my life.

“My sister-in-law’s choice of companions to invest in.”

He then turned his attention to Kadri.

“On one hand I would have good news. Dominic, as the black sheep of my kin, tended to live by his own dubious graces. And like the Allaine heir his … allowance … was never spent and has been collecting for years. Along the same lines the taxes from his lands have not been spent and neither have they increased – which means the villages managed in his names have had the means to grow and proper.

“My holdings are also safe; as being in a sickbed, there was little I had to do for passing the time except insure they were properly managed.

“Thus it is my Father’s and Marcus’ accounts that are in terrible shape.

“A little thieving indeed.”

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table and his chin in his hands.

“There is a reason why we are called the Grand Duchy of Talantal. Our power – aye we do have good Knights and men-at-arms, but the true might of the Kories is the Talantal crown.

“Which makes you one of the ten richest people this side of the Road East.

“Do you want to buy a town? I am sure we could arrange that if you wished.”

He looked to Mouse.

Miss Mouse just nodded back.

“And that’s the bad news.

“It’s not going to take long for other people to figure that out either.”

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 11/01/15 18:52 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He shrugs. "I think his point was that there is no such thing as a truly honest man, especially in service to a Noble House. So if he could find the small larceny it meant there was likely no large larceny going on he couldn't find."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"My trust is absolute, Mikal. You are friend. You are as family. That is, in fact, all there is to it - and that you will have to live with."

She says solemnly before winking and grinning.

"So you have a bratty troublemaking sister in that case."

She sticks out her tongue.

She looks back to Tray.

"It may not be immediate but .. I am looking into acquiring some flat, somewhat open land a bit out of the way, and a good number of horses from my homeland - as well as certain other supplies and services."

There. The interest of a daughter of Amber in acquiring horses and land to run them on should not seem that unusual, should it?

She winks at Mikal.

"Let's just say that ... I am well aware of the nature of people and while the consequences of that nature may be on a larger scale - even here people are merely people."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Bekkah

"...khhhhhyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ... eee ... eee ... eee .... eeeeeeeek ..."

It was not a playful cry, it was not an angry cry, it was a cry that definitely had a Dayalan take a step into the room with sharp black eyes and without the benefit of deep set cultural traditions against harming those of Lady Attera.

Romana actually cringed, an instinctive beat-into-her reflex. kay took a hard step forward and then stopped, the sound of her foot echoing in the small room - and it was only friendship and the fact that bekkah was her mentor's sister that stayed her hand.

"You ..."

The white haired girl's protector harshly barked out, caught her breath, and then consciously softened her words.

"You are scaring her."

Romana looked back, for a moment, and it was indeed fear Bekkah saw in her eyes, fear of being touched, fear of being so close - it was somewhat like ... no exactly like ... an old old wound being torn open. Her head immediately ducked and fell as she curled up about herself, and when let go only then looked back and whispered a broken,

" ... appy ... appy ... appy-o-logies ... "

It should not had been a surprise ... remembering, Romana had been uncomfortable with the children's attention - that must have been balanced by something else ... a deeper than usual belief that children should not be hurt. That and she fell asleep on Kay's shoulder ... not the other way around.

Some wounds, it seemed, could not be cured with a spell.

Lady Anastasia folded her hands on the table and looked back to the younger Priestess ... and it was a rare thing that bekkah could be referred to as younger amidst those she traveled with.

"On one hand returning to the First Ring would be the kind thing to do - it would show that Our Lady's kindness was something not just a midsummers gift, a momentary kindness. that would b a very good thing.

"It is my strongest recommendation. That said ..."

She looked between Bekkah and Romana.

"There is a measure of wisdom in testing your youngling with a new challenge to see how she reacts. She is your student and you know her better than me and what would be best for her.'

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline

The Heartwood

Kadri and Mikal

“Then I would suggest to continue to look for the right people. They can be found; but often in the last place one would look.

“Not because then, of course, you’ve found them, but because no one was supposed to be able to be found there in the first place.

“In general, you will learn that people are good. The conflict is the ones that aren’t, they will be the ones most likely to be looking for a place where they can do the most … mischief.”

Drawing out another scroll, Tray carefully laid it out. It was a map, of the holdings of Talantal – from Highside Heather to the Blackwater River, from the edge of the Silk Creek Ravine to the edge of a forbidden woods.

“Actually, setting you up with a manor outside of the Keep would be both easy, traditional and probably suit the heir’s new wife quite well – especially since for her, out of sight is definitely out of line.

“However, it will limit you to those lands beholden to your young husband. Now, he is the youngest and while the lands are not poor they are not the most favorably located; the homesteads tend to be the most northern of ours … which mean they back up to the Dirkwood Forest.”

He looked up, offering the shyest in the room a nod of his head.

“Which may not be as bad as one might think.

“Otherwise …”

He looked back to Kadri,

“To find a holding outside of Talantal you have two choices. First, you find it on your own, parlaying your own alliances and connections. Otherwise, to buy, you’d have to withdraw a large amount from the Family’s vault. Which can be done. But be rest assured, that’s the sort of thing that doesn’t go unnoticed. What happens on a manor within the Duchy is basically one’s own business as long as taxes are paid. But when the Family’s gold goes out beyond the borders … that is when Father wants to know why.”

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Just to clarify. The Kierkegaards did say they they wouldn't send a trainer outside of their lands, did they not? Meaning any group of mercenaries we gathered would need to be sent to Kirkegaard for training?)

Online Content
Bekkah

She looked from Romana to the older priestess.

"I think that we can do the most good in the lower rings. I certainly do not see our Lady's blessings as a gift of Midsummer's only."

"It would be good for Romana to see the people on a normal day. And equally so for them to see her."

She looked back at the priestess.

"Did you want Marcy and Darcy to accompany me as well or do you think they had more than enough of my training?" she asked her face impassive.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc note: Yes, if they were to be trained by the Kierkegaards

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Wolf - Question wasn't really about by, more about where. After all nothing to stop the Kierkegaards from sending a trainer here.)

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc notes - if they are to b trained by the Kierkegaards, it would have to be in Kierkegaard territory. They know their training is special and thus work to keep it within their own lands.

On the other hand it does not have to be all a once. Remember, while it is possible to go into a guildhall and say "I need fifty good men" a troop of the caliber of the Horde is not created that way.

Dandy cherry picked each of its members ... so it started with one, then two then five and slowly grew in that manner. Some came trained, some did not.

As both Kristof and Rikart noted ... step 1 is finding those people. This could take a while - and on method might be traveling the length and breath of the Highland Path to see what caliber of folks Mikal might meet!

and apologies for the slow responses - many offline reasons sad

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Zeim
Member Spotlight
AquaDyne
AquaDyne
Seattle, Washington, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,840
Posts140,709
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy