Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 11 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He looks towards the red roofed building and says, "Ah, we made it." Gundren wanted the supplies delivered to Barthen's, so Davroar will walk up to see if the place is open and find the proprietor for instructions on unloading the supplies.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Having decided to take care of the job you were hired for first, before looking around any further, you park the wagon outside the building marked "Barthen's Provisions". Across the road you can see smoke and heat from a very hot fire flowing up from a chimney of an "L" shaped building, that you recognize as being typical of a Smithy.

Those who were riding on the wagon hop down and as a group you enter the large building. Immediately you can see it is indeed what it's sign proclaims, a Trading Post. The interior is filled with shelves and rows of tables filled with all sorts of mundane items. Rope, backpacks, bedrolls, trail rations, empty waterskins, and any other type of normal supplies you can imagine other than weapons or armour.

Behind a large counter running along the far wall is a lean, balding human male of middle age. As you enter he is just finishing saying something to two young men who look like clerks and pointing with his thumb towards a door that presumably leads to the back of the shop. The men nod their heads and hurry off thru the door.

As he turns back he notices you for the first time. "Welcome to Barthen's Provisions", he says with a smile. "I don't recall seeing you before. You must be new to town. Can I help you?"

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Her confidence having grown somewhat since they had set out on this venture she is comfortable in reponding.

"We have a delivery for you from Grundren.. and I believe you have payment for us?"

She remembers Grundren promised them an extra 10 gp on delivery,

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

"Ah", he smiles. "Let's go take a look then. Is the wagon outside?"

Just about then the two clerks come back in from the back. One moves behind the counter and the other comes over towards you as you look around. "Anything I can help you with?"

Karok

He follows along but waits outside with the wagon. While in town, he'd like to see if there is a place for those who follow his order. They may well be a source of aid or at least information.

[ooc: I guess we have to wander the town to find the legend for the map? Also, I'm not sure how the order works. Like if they'd have a place with their symbol showing or if he'd need to go to a church or something to ask?]

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn regarded the clerk thoughtfully, and enquired,

"Are there any old castles, fallen into disuse, not too far from the town?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: Answering Nivek's really good question (posed as an "I guess..."

I'll start by taking responsibility and some in-advance blame. I'm not the most roleplay-ish type of roleplayer myself. Chit-chat and mundane tasks normally make me squeamish. That's because my ADHD kicks in. This chapter of the module, however, is geared to all of you who would like to strike up conversations with the locals.

So, to help you all along, consider the situation. You rode into town with goods to sell. You really didn't bother to talk to Sildar that much and he's still with you all and maybe you should have talked more with him. I wonder if he could be a member of any faction? Let's see, he described himself
"I am Sildar Hallwinter, former officer in the Gryphon Cavalry of Waterdeep" and I gave up the fact that you have heard of the Gryphon Cavelry. It's a famous, elite force from Waterdeep. Even through his clearly battered state you can tell he holds himself with a military bearing. Does this sound like some random fellow or an important NPC?

Also, you're in a town you've never been in before. What are your plans? Drop off the goods and then what? Where do you go for information? Rumors? Orders? What's going on in town? Obviously Barthan (this shopkeeper) knew Gundren. What else does he know?

As for finding people with similar beliefs, during the seemingly random chit-chats you might want to bring up philosophical discussions, to at least roleplay your perspective. That will give your NPC's a chance to figure out that you're worthy of being recruited.

I'm uploading a new town map. This one with labels. Maybe it'll help you.

Attached Images
phandalin.jpg (296.66 KB, 11 downloads)
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Clerk

The clerk looked a bit intimidated as the dragonborn approached. Then, after he realized there was no trouble, he relaxed.

"No sir, but I have not ventured out of town and do not know of such things."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He watches the cart being delivered from the shop. He's found shopkeepers to be often distressed by his presence in their place of business. Chandan is a good hearted fellow, so stays away. (He's yet to find anything of interest in a shop anyway.)

So the wizened monk walks along with Sildar for the most part, acutely aware that the old soldier had suggested a spell at the local drinking establishment.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He takes up the clerk's offer to help and says, "Ran into some trouble traveling here."

Davroar takes off his fur/hide armour jacket and pokes three fingers through two slices in it.

"Can you fix this or is there someone here who can?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Barthen

The shopkeeper steps out with Jaliera and looks over the goods.

"Yes. Everything looks in order. I'll get Ander and Thistle to unload the stuff and put it away for Gundren. I expect that he'll find everything in order when he arrives to claim it. Come inside and I'll pay you."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

The grizzled fighter is waiting outside, standing near the monk, waiting for the transaction to be completed. Jaliera is taking care of that matter so he is thankful for the company.

"I'm looking forward to a hot bath, a warm mean and a cold drink, perhaps in a different order. Spending time in the company of goblins was not on my itinerary," he says to Chandan.

"What is your story, old man. That pretty brave of you back there in the caverns. I don't know exactly what transpired, but it appeared to me that you let yourself get caught to preoccupy the goblins so that your companions would have an easier time dealing with them."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Ander the Clerk

The youngster was glad to be speaking to the human, unsure as he was about the dragonborn. "Yes sir, I might be able to mend this myself, given some time. Can you leave it for a day?" he replies to Davroar.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles at Barthen. This is easier than she thought. She might want to say something about Grundren too but without scaring anyone.

"Grundren has been detained by other business but I'm sure he'll be back here at some point."

She follows him inside to claim their payment.

"Did he say when he intended to arrive?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Barthen

"I assume it will be soon, maybe today. I haven't seen him in quite a while and his brothers in over a tenday. They surely need to resupply any day now."

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Was he with his brother's when you saw him last? We'd like to talk to them if possible."

She doubts the shopkeeper knows very much but she can try to find out what she can.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Barthen

"Yes, but that was before he left to get supplies. His brothers are camped somewhere outside of time as best I know."

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Outside of town?"

She seeks to confirm her information, fairly sure she didn't hear him correctly the first time.

"Any idea where? Or who might know?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Barthen

"Yes. Outside of town. I wouldn't know where though. I guess they didn't trust being in town with the Redbrands making life tough for everyone."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"Remove one goblin with a spear or remove four by surrendering. Sometimes not fighting is more potent a weapon than fighting." Chandan explains.

"Though... I do not think it would have worked so well with men. We are more callous than cruel."

He watches the villagers around him, winding up their day's affairs. He finds it very agreeable and smiles at the rustic scene, though he isn't one for such a life himself.

"I have taken vows of poverty and humility. So I can only bath in natural waters and eat and drink what is freely offered.

"So I give you my 10 gold and you buy me drinks." He says with a beautific smile.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"That will be okay", he replies to the clerk with a smile and leaves his armour for him to fix. Hopefully they will be staying here long enough for it to be mended.

He turns back to Barthen as he walks back into his store, and over hearing he asks, "Who are the Redbrands?"

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She turns and smiles at Davroar, liking the young man quite a lot, their shared experiences strengthening her feelings. And they obviously think in a similar way as she had just been about to ask that question.

She turns back to the shopkeeper to listen to his response.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Barthan

Now back inside (so Davroar could actually hear the conversation), the shopkeeper replies with a deep sigh, "Trouble. That's what they are. When bad people start working together to do bad things it spells trouble and that's what they are. They are making life difficult in Phandelin. They shake down local businesses and they flout the townmaster's authority."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

The fighter laughs at what Chandan said, "That is the first time that someone offered me coin to buy them a drink. I shall take you up on that offer. And let me say that the water at the Inn is brought in by barrels every day from a stream outside of town. It is 'natural water' and it will wash away the stink of goblin. I am eager to bathe and I am sure that you are too."

He crinkles his nose as he says that.

Karok

Once there is nothing to guard with the wagon he decides to move on and see what he can find.

"I'll meet up with you at the inn, you mentioned. I'm off to see if there is some kind of temple or barracks here. Either might give me a chance to learn something. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a band of me kin looking for adventure." he said with a throaty laugh.

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 10/12/14 23:14 UTC.
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
nem
nem
GMT 0
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,433
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy