Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Mina, Vryx), 19 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#757606 Fri 28/11/14 20:21 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar
After they had exited the caves, the man you rescued, Grunden's companion, collapses next to the stream which he drinks from thirstily. He then crawls over to the nearest tree and leans back on it's trunk. He is clearly exhausted, shows signs of being beaten and is now barely clinging to life.

When Kriv and Jaliera come over, he sits up. He is of middle years, hair more gray than black. He rises slowly and extends a hand in greeting.

"I don't think we were formally introduced the last time we briefly met in Neverwinter. I am Sildar Hallwinter, former officer in the Gryphon Cavalry of Waterdeep. My thanks for the rescue."

You have heard of the Gryphon Cavelry. It's a famous, elite force from Waterdeep. Even through his clearly battered state you can tell he holds himself with a military bearing.

"You asked many questions. I will try and answer them. First, I do not know where the Cragmaw Castle is. I do believe that Grunden was taken there. I am sorry. Perhaps we can find it together?"

You have several things to deal with.

• I'll take care of healing, you'll get an extended rest so we'll be at 100%.
  • Administratively, if you have not picked a "faction" please either do so or note the following: "Not associated with a faction".
  • You should continue to learn what you can from Sildar
  • You need to get back to your wagon and supplies.
  • Decide where to go next and when.

Last edited by Neptune; Sun 08/02/15 16:42 UTC. Reason: Changed the thread subject
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Well if we do not know where this castle is, perhaps we can deliver Grunden's goods and find the information out there? There will be people to ask and places of learning where we might research."

She looks around at the others.

"Maybe leaving the immediate vicinity, finding the wagon and making camp should be first on our list? A hot meal and some well earned rest would not go amiss for any of us."

AJ Offline
(Would History help with info on the castle?)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

"Phandalin. That is where Grunden and I were headed. Yes, perhaps there."

I'm going to let you squeeze some of this out of Sildar the old fashioned way, by asking questions. There is much to ask. You still know little about what's going on.

But yes, history might get you some info. Please roll. Oh, and going forward, if you remember, provide me with a roll if you ask. More likely than not the answer will be yes.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"Yes. We should not put wagon before the ox." He says in agreement with the girl, Jaliera.

He's feeling ready for a sit down and a brew too.

"This Grol is King of who or what?" He asks aloud.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"Yes", she agrees with Jaliera. "Let's get the wagon and get on the road before those Goblins gather enough courage to try to snipe at us from the woods. Let Chandan and Sildar ride in back."

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn stood in uffish thought, trying to recall anything about Cragmaw Keep, its history or lineage. Within the Lord's Alliance, and growing up in Norixius Keep, such knowledge was an essential part of the curriculum.

Kriv And if, you know, your history...
AJ rolled 1d20+4 and got 14

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kriv knows that the name Cragmaw Keep cannot be an original name. It is a goblin name and goblins don't build keeps and castles.

Also, while you've picked a faction to belong to, you'll get to role play joining them. Maybe Kriv will meet a grizzled veteran of an elite fighting team of the Lord's Alliance somewhere that brings him into the faction. grin

Last edited by Neptune; Mon 01/12/14 00:24 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She starts to head towards where they left the wagon as they seem to be agreed at least to their immediate course of action. She continues to talk to Sildar.

"Why did the goblins take Grundren to this keep but not you? And what information were they trying to get out of you?"

Her tone is just one of curiosity.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

"Well, maybe if I tell the whole story it might help."

"I met Grundren Rockseeker in Neverwinter and that's where I agreed to accompany him back to Phandalin. I had my own business there and so it made sense."

"Grundren is one of three brothers. Tharden and Nundro are the other two. They recently located an entrance to the long-lost Wave Echo Cave, the site of the mines of the Phandelver's Pact. You probably don't know much about that so let me share."

"More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wonderous cavern known as the Wave Echo Cave. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge called the Forge of Spells, where magic items could be crafted. Times wer good, and the nearby human town of Phandelin propered as well. But then disaster struch when orcs swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path."

"A powerful force of orces reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked Wave Echo Cave to seize its riches and magic treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing spell battled destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Wave Echo Cave was lost."

"Klarg, the bugbear that you killed, had orders to waylay Grundren. I heard from the goblins that the "Black Spider" sent word that the dwarf was to be brought to him. I know your next question and I'm sorry, I don't know any more about this Black Spider."

"What I do know is that Grunden had a map showing the secret location of Wave Echo cave, but the goblins took it when they captured us. I believe that Klarg sent the map and the dwarf to the chief of the Cragmaw's at a place called Cragmaw Castle."

"I have a contact in Phandalin that I want to find. I intend to continue on to there. It's not far."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Listening to the others while walking with everyone back to their wagon, he asks, "Why would they take Gundren? If they already got the map to find the missing cave..."

It seems to him that this Black Spider goal is to find the Wave Echo cave. Why they need Gundren is still a mystery, yet hopefully that means Gundren will still be alive if they can reach him in time before his usefulness ends.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"That's interesting."

She is thinking that her mentor would want to know about it.

"Let's hope that the map is not obvious. If they can't decipher it then they have a reason to keep Grundren alive."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

"I don't know why they wanted Gundren alive but I am going to Phandalin and could really use the company. There's safety in numbers and the roads are not safe. I don't have any gold now but I'll pay you each ten gold pieces to accompany me there. I know that I can secure a loan in Phandalin. Does anyone here have a spare sword that I can borrow for the trip?"

ooc: I've given you all time to ask Sildar questions but judging from the noise of crickets it seems the best approach is to move forward. I'll give you one more day to wrap things up here and then we'll move on.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

Pausing as they pass the grove outside the cave on their way back to the wagon, she picks up a discarded scimitar and shield from one of the dead Goblins and hands them to Sildar.

"Here you go. Might as well put them to good use."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

"Thank you. This will work quite well for now," he says after cutting the air with several slashing maneuvers.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"To Phandalin I will go. Save your gold, buy me drink!" Says the old man, ambling along the trail.

AJ Offline
Kriv

"A thought: We may not know where Cragmaw Keep is, but that lot in there do. Shall we acquire a vermin guide that we may be better prepared to rescue Gundren? Every day we delay is another day for him to crack and for the location of wave echo cave to fall into the wrong hands."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

"I would have suggested that if I believed it to be true" he says to Kriv. "Honestly, I would rather we disposed of them all, they are just going to do what goblins do and that is to cause trouble. But alas, you struck a bargain with them for me and your friend there. These goblins don't know about the castle, of that I'm sure. I heard them talk and they're lucky they know how to find this place."

"As for your concern about time, I am in agreement. Gundren may already be dead and the goblins might have found the cave. That, however, wouldn't stop me from trying to take the place back!"

Karok

He grunted in agreement.

"Wasn't fond of leaving them breathing meself. But we was hurting and not in a good position. If they was smarter we wouldn't be having this talk. So I guess we did well."

"I'm with you as far as Gundren. I have to check even if someone tells me he's dead. Won't be stoppin' until I see the body." he said determinedly.

"Sounds like the sooner we get o Phandalin the better."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"Once we get to Phandalin, we should at least let the locals know the location of these goblins. If they have enough men, perhaps they can finish the job here."

Davroar would like it better knowing that future ambushes from these goblins would end.

"Sildar, do you know where Gundren's brothers are?"

If they are close, Davroar wonders if perhaps they could send additional help.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

"That too I don't know but since Gundren and I were headed for Phandelin, I have to assume that they were going to meet up there or somewhere close."

By this time you have reached the supply wagon. You unleash the oxen and begin the trek towards your destination.

OOC - OK, we're moving forward now, trying to catch up with the group in Zeim's game. They're a bit ahead.

Note that while you've picked a faction to belong to, you'll get to role play joining them. So please make sure it is marked on your sheet if you have chosen one, or if not put "Faction: None".)

You are all relieved as there are no more encounters along the route to Phandalin, and you have all had the chance to take a Long Rest so everyone is back to full, with all their Powers.

The rutted track you have been following emerges from a wooded hillside, and you catch your first glimpse of Phandalin. The town consists of forty or fifty simple log buildings, some built on old fieldstone foundations. More old ruins -- crumbling stone walls covered in ivy and briars -- surround the newer houses and shops, showing how this must have been a much larger town in centuries past. Most of the newer buildings are set on the sides of the cart track, which widens into a muddy main street of sorts as it climbs toward a ruined manor house on a hillside at the est side of town.

As you approach, you see children playing on the town green and townsfolk tending to chores or running errands at shops. Many people look up as you approach, but all return to their business as you go by.

Sildar seems much more at ease. "My friends," he says, "let us secure lodgings. I am told the local inn is very quaint."

It is late in the day, the late afternoon sun approaching sunset in less than an hour.

You are entering town from the North (top middle of map) where the label says "To Triboar Trail". The town green is marked as well as the roads and trails into and out of town.

The labels on the map were removed and replaced them with numbers for reference. Where would you would like to go? Sildar has never been here either so other than his comment about hearing a rumour the inn is "quaint" he can't give you any pointers.

Attached Images
Phandalin-1.jpg (452.17 KB, 7 downloads)
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Her spirits have risen during the journey. The memories of the injuries are fading, the cuts and bruises healed and overall she now feels that they did quite well. Maybe she can make a go of this life after all.

"Let's head for the centre. That will give us more of an idea of what's where and likely people to talk to also."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: Just some more tidbits.

While you weren't able to gather Gundren's supplies, you do have the wagon with its supplies that needs to be delivered. See this post to jog your memory.

While the last chapter was pretty much hack-n-slash, we shift gears here in town to gather information and roleplay. The module, from this point on, is not linear and I hope to live by that. This group may decide to go to one place after Phandalin and Zeim's group could be going elsewhere. That could be perilous if you end up skipping ahead but death has always been a crucial part of D&D weg

I'll be double-checking to make sure that everyone has gone up to 2nd level. If you need more time or assistance, let me know. Since skills are going to be important, I want to make sure that yours are correct. And since you are going up a level, you are entitled to change your PC if there's something you've learned isn't working for you. According to Adventurer League rules, the ONLY thing you must keep is your name. So, as an example, Chandan, the human monk could now become a female elven sorcerer. Let me know what you change.

You can also decide to split up here but again, be cautious. There are dangers. If I seem to be gently nudging you in a direction it'll be because I think you're getting into a heap of trouble. So far you've been really good at that wink

It's time to focus a bit on your associations with factions. Read up on them and take advantage of the opportunities to actually join the factions now. When we started the module these were intentions. Now it's time to develop the relationships that actually make that happen. It may pay to refresh your memory about these factions.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

So, following Jaliera's suggestion, the group decides to take the wagon along the main road and see what they can see of the town from closer up.

Riding and walking ahead, you see the first large building you come to with a red slate roof has a sign hanging out front with the name "Barthen's Provisions" on it.
[Linked Image]

-Nep
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He shambles into the village, spear over his shoulder and a bindle tied to its haft.

Sildar's idea about visiting the local inn sounds very agreeable to him. Since coming down out of the mountains, he's found inns, taverns, bars, alehouses, beer gardens, and dance halls to be most envigorating places.

And as he recalls it, Sildar owes him a drink.

He brushes off his brightly coloured silk scarf, seemingly ignorant of the rest of his filthy, dishevelled appearance.

"Yes. We should refresh our bodies and minds." He says in agreement with the old guard.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Phoenix Prime
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,820
Posts140,248
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy