Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Angrboða, Phoenix Prime, Miales), 23 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Dairan in conversation with Daxia

It seemed Dazi understood what she had meant by Wrong. There were many more nuances to it, however those were never spoken of beyond the Pack.

"Darian need talk Hunter ..."

Yes, she needed to speak with a Hunter but not just any Hunter. The most senior member if there were more than one, if there was a Pack here.

"The Hunter tell others do."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter
earlier, in conversation in Darian

Dazi nodded slowly. “Most skilled eldest? See Dazi, Kay, Dandy... say Dandy most skilled eldest, yah? No Dandy... Dazi be most skilled eldest. Like so?”

That would be a fair approximation of seniority among the Starswords, the Starriders, and the Starlords. Talking about the Priestesses? All bets were off. Dazi suspected there was a combination of skill, age, personality, and politics. Darian was at least as pragmatic as Kay, whose life as an Initiate of Dayala consisted of moving from one battle to the next.

“Dazi ask Korie know who is this? Dominie friend maybe know too. You say, I ask.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian in conversation with Daxia

A nod.

"Aye. Most skill, top, tell others do."

A more emphatic nod.

"Dazi ask."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter
earlier, in conversation in Darian, Lord Tray, and everyone else at the table

Dazi nodded; no need to spend unnecessary words with Darian.

Stepping closer to the table, she waited politely and patiently for a pause in the conversation, then address the Korie Lord... primarily.

“M’lord, Miss Kathi... Hunter Darian would very much like to have a conversation with the local Hunter, or the leader if there is a Pack.” Her eyes moved from one to the other. “If either of you, or Miss Mouse,” she added with smile that did more than hint at her admiration for one so stealthy, “know who she should seek out and perhaps the most likely place to find this person, may I know of it so I can share the information?”

The Dayalan refrained from sighing, though it was only because she glanced as Kisa... waiting, watching, doing the very thing at which she excelled.

“Your brother’s pups are a distressing topic, it would seem,” she said, looking back at Tray, “and she has been long away from others who share her... skills. Such a conversation could well set her mind and heart at ease.”

At least Dazi hoped it would. She hoped the Hunter or Hunters of Talantal were more... well, more like the Hunters of Darian’s old Pack, she supposed, rather than a little broken like the Hunter of Bordertown. Though, to Dazi’s eye, he appeared to be more than just a little broken. Still, what did she know of such things? Darian hadn’t thought all was well with him... Dazi trusted Darian... so Dazi had a difficult time finding the good in the man. He keep stew pots filled? There. That was something.

In truth, Dazi was apprehensive — only a very little bit — about what information might come from such a conversation between her friend and the local Hunter. She was loathe to have Darian leave them; it was mostly because she considered the Hunter to be a friend, to be part of her created Family. But that led her to the only possible thought to have on the matter: as Darian’s friend, she wanted Darian to find, to create the Pack she had been sent by her Master to find or create.

Well, Time continued onward as it should. And when it was the appropriate Time for each of them to pursue their individual goals, then Order would be maintained. Time and Order, Time and Order... ah, the Lady Dayala was wise, and Dazi would do her best to keep that wisdom in mind.

They all had different Paths to walk in their lives, and at this Time those Paths converged. This was good. And when those Paths diverged again, it would be... proper.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Tray Korie

Before he took his leave, the Korie lordling paused, raising a brow. he spoke with good humor.

"You mistake me someone who has not spent three years in bed. I know only what I cans see from my window and the books Dommi has sent me.

"As for the Keep's Hunter; I'd suggest asking either Cook ...

" ... or my brother. I suspect, however, that my brother would know where to find him, while Cook would know when he delivers fresh meat."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter
earlier, in conversation with Lord Tray and Darian

The Dayalan merely raised an eyebrow in response to the Korie lord. That he knew nothing... well, perhaps that was to be expected, as he implied. That neither of the servants had even a hint of information was a bit strange, but perhaps there were a sufficient number of people harassing them that anything outside the purview of their narrowly delineated roles was too insignificant to recall.

That he was taking his leave before She fully set, when only the brightest of Her Children could be seen in the sky, was a reminder that he was still recovering from his long illness... as if his gently chiding words had not been enough of a reminder.

“As you say, m’lord,” she said with a slight dip of her head.

Dazi stepped back to Darian’s side.

“He not know,” she said quietly. “Say Heir know where Hunter is. Say Cook know when Hunter come.”

She paused, biting her as she worked out possibilities. Finally she shrugged.

“Heir not friendly. Cook maybe say, maybe not. Think maybe Hunter and Hound need search, find Hunter. Be other side walls, certain.” Dazi looked at Darian questioningly. “Darian, Longtooth can search hunt other Hunters? Be this good, yes?”

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She tilted her head, nodded as she considered. She didn't know the Heir and was unlikely to be allowed to see him. The Cook telling her when the others came was not helpful either. Daxia had the right of it. She and Longtooth would need to find them on their own. The others may offer to help, but this was Pack business. The others would not be welcome.

"Aye. Darian can. Darian must. She rises, Darian find."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter
earlier, in conversation with Darian

Dazi nodded to Darian.

“Dazi say to Her please shine Light for Darian to see, to find.” She smiled. “Dazi Lady not dislike Darian Lord. Dazi only can ask. She do what She do.”

Nodding toward Cesare, she added, “Darian, Longtooth enjoy rest of Midsummer, aye? Think Cesare like ale, maybe dance.”

She herself took the seat at the table vacated by Tray, scooting the chair a bit closer to Kisa’s. Looking across at Kadri, she chuckled.

“You look like you’d disappear entirely if such a thing was possible,” she said, winking. “It’s a very pretty outfit, Kadri, but... well, it’s just not you.”

She turned to Kisa. “The day is not yet done. Would you care to dance... to walk... to simply sit and watch as Her Children come out to see the world?” To Dazi, it didn’t matter, though to simply look at the stars while at Kisa’s side — be it sitting, walking, or lying in an orchard — might be the perfect end to a Midsummers day unlike any other.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He offers Dandy a bow as they return from dancing to the benches. "A pleasure. Both the dancing and the advice. I will need to accumulate a fair amount of coin, and notoriety, to be able to attract, and afford, a contingent of Dayallans, Jvrillians, and others that would be needed to make up a Troop for what I am thinking. But it is a goal. As my crossbow instructor once told me, 'You need to always have a target. There is nothing more dangerous that a man waving a loaded bow around aimlessly.'"

He keeps an eye on Kadri as long as she chooses to stay out socializing, and then returns to their rooms with her as the evening draws to a close.

In the morning it will be time to think about where to go next. He is bound to watch over Kadri, but only as long as they remain in Talantal. His contract with Daxia has also expired. So he is a 'New Jvrillian without a Contract', which is always an uncomfortable place to be.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"I know it's a contract, Mikal. But it has been quite ..."

She pauses a long while thinking.

"Quite comforting having you nearby in the viper's nest. I apologize if I may have more than once over the last few days given you headaches - but I am me, and I do what I do, which is to follow where my heart and soul takes me - and at that, I am perhaps at least a little headstrong. I only wish I had something more of value to give you.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Fri 14/11/14 16:29 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Well, up to now, other than try my best to glare and look fierce I really haven't done anything tangible for you, so it's not a problem. However I do need to take on a well-paying contract pretty soon. I would like to form a Troop of my own, and get Talia trained as a warhorse. Neither of those things come cheaply."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Still, I would not want you to think I am taking advantage of you - to you, I have a debt. And I repay debts, however long it may take. If you find there is a way I may contribute to these goals of yours ..."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He turns and looks at her for a long few seconds. "Are you serious about that?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She tilts her head to one side.

"Did I not just say so? Yes - although have trouble imagining what I might contribute to that sort of effort. "

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"I don't think you've thought out what resources, both monetary and in influence, you now have at your disposal as wife of the son of the Khoral in Talantal. Above and beyond what additional resources you have as a daughter of Amber. You could likely Contract me to form my own Troop right now."

Last edited by Zeim; Sat 15/11/14 00:48 UTC.
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She opens her mouth and then pauses for a time with it still open.

"... I had not thought of that angle. I still dont think of myself as this."

She motions to the nobles quarters.

"And it would entail havng me owning a longer term contract. Are you sure you would want me as your 'employer'? I can be rather unconventional from time to time. Do you trust ... my discretion?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He smiles. "I can think of none better. Believe me when I say I know you better than anyone..., anyone I have taken a Contract for. Many of my Contracts were so Talia and I could continue to eat, and I was not as scrupulous during those lean times as I would have liked to be."

He pauses. "You and I share a set of values, I believe. A rare and precious thing. As I said, I can think of none better to trust."

He looks at her more closely. "But I am more concerned for you. If you will do this thing. If you are indeed willing to use your influence both here and among the Clans, in order to help recruit and equip a Troop as I envision the one I'd like to be, it will require you to spend some time at Court. Both to better use that influence properly as well as to find out where best to use the force the Troop will represent. We may be the 'Tip of the Spear' so to speak, but you will be both the whetting stone that sharpens the spear and the compass that guides it. I know how much you dislike that......?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"... It is something I can do as part of, let's call it - the game. I'd have to ask you ... What DO you envision?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Well, considering this whole idea just became feasible in the past two minutes I can't say I have all the answers right now." He grins.

"However I know what I want the troop to be. Light horse, but organized, fighting light horse. Something the Heartwood has never had to my knowledge. Not a loose group of a few dozen raiders, nor a large group of mounted infantry, nor a large group of heavy cavalry that uses charge and shock with lance and sword."

"Rather a troop that is based around horse archers. Dayalans if we can get them. Crossbowmen as well, and if they can fight from horseback so much the better. Javelins, spearmen. Swords to use as a last resort."

"A Troop that can pick at it's foes from a distance. Ride up, harass them, then ride off if the enemy tries to engage. Kill them by inches. Move fast and hit hard. Be where no one expects them to be, moving at speeds no one has moved a large, organized, formation of men before. Deception, ambush, slash and ride off. Frustrate the opponent until they go crazy and make mistakes."

"To do that I need not only a solid core of Dayalans", he glances back to where they left Daxia, "but I need first class mounts. Trained mounts and trained riders, moving as a unit. Discipline such as there hasn't been. Mounts that can outrun their enemy."

"The men needs to have discretion as well as skill. I will need to interview every one before allowing them to join, but I have some ideas where to start looking."

"As to missions, well, there seems to never be a lack of things worth doing. Typically the lack is in finding someone who is willing to do it. With this group not being tied to defending a place, such as Bordertown, it can roam, which is what it will be best at."

He looks at her. "I can think of a few things now, but I will depend on you for intelligence. Not necessarily military intelligence. If we can find a few Hunters or Arilys they can do that. It is political intelligence I'd need. What is happening and how can we 'nudge' it in the direction we think is best."

He looks at her. "How does that sound to you?"

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"That."

She rubs her chin.

"That I think I can work with. And I think I know how to find first class horses. Horses with hooves that move like the rolling thunder on the winds. I know horses. And your strategy sounds, shall we say, familiar to me. As for my goals, as I have often said to Dazi. I do not like bullies. I like knocking down bullies, laying them low. That is, most often, what I find worth doing. I believe I can do this thing. It may mean sitting through more councils. But then again, they should expect that I will do such by this point; I think, perhaps, that I made amply clear what I thought of the concept of the wives merely sitting in the garden to wait for their husbands to speak at council."

At the last sentence, she gives a lopsided grin.

"I did make quite an entrance at council, if I do say so myself."

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Phoenix Prime
Member Spotlight
KenSeg
KenSeg
Jensen Beach, Florida
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,819
Posts140,226
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy