Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phoenix Prime, Miales), 12 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Following the goblins' trail, you come across a large cave in a hillside five miles from the scene of the ambush. A shallow stream flows out of the cave mouth, which is screened by dense briar thickets. A narrow dry path leads into the cave on the right hand side of the stream.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Ever the pragmatist, Kriv unslung his pack, and began rooting around for his torches, his flint, and tinder.

"Is anyone likely to have a hand free to light the way, or would it be better to tie these in place somewhere about our person?"

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He gawps at the stream and cave, then shakes his flagon. Empty.

He throws it over his shoulder and speaks up. "Fortune smiles, Kriv Norixius. One hand just become free!"

Karok

"Who else can see without the torches? Perhaps we could go in first without the torches and other follow back at a distance?"

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He shakes his head no at Karok's question. But while he can not see in the dark, lighting torches is a simple cantrip for him as he says, "Save your tinder Kriv, I can light and douse the torches easily enough."

Last edited by Dugan; Tue 23/09/14 03:12 UTC.
AJ Offline
Kriv

He passed a torch over to Chandan, then repacked the remainder, and his firestarting tools, at Davroar's comment.

"Whilst one or two of us may be able to see in the gloom, all of the vermin can. Better to even the odds: We don't want our lead element cut off and isolated, two facing a dozen."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"I have sharp eyes but not in the dark."

She shakes her head, emphasising her words.

"I think I should swap to my rapier before we go in. With the darkness and confined spaces I think it will be better than my bow."

She changes weapon.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"I can see in the dark", she says quietly, indicating quiet to the others in case their voices carry to the cave.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Keeping his voice down at Kallista's warning he looks at the cave entrance while saying, "I'm wondering if we could lure a lesser number of them out here? Or at least closer to the exit."

Exactly how to do that he is not sure. His knowledge of goblins is limited, and is not sure just what would tempt a goblin to investigate a noise or smell.

"I can create a natural occurring smell or noise. I just don't know what would work to catch a goblin's curiosity enough that it wouldn't holler for help right away."

AJ Offline
Kriv

He considered what might appeal to Goblin sensibilities, turning to regard the human. Quietly, he deliberated,

"The sound of a young animal in distress, like a lamb or kid with its leg trapped. Something relatively local if possible. Perhaps with a hint of the smell of fresh-spilt blood."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She considers the option, then whispers to the others.

"If we can try to whittle the numbers down that would be a good idea. I like Davroar's idea. But we should find ambush positions before enacting it. I might take up my bow again."

She looks around for hiding places or maybe even a tree to fire from.

"Perhaps we could smoke them out..?"

Smoke.. not fire.. she tells herself.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Licking his dry lips, he considers the cave mouth and their reason for being here. He's starting to feel wizened and insensible again, but perhaps amongst the plunder in a goblin's cave would be a few envigorating beverages.

"It is said that 'mouths of caves talk carelessly'.

"One cry from the goblins outside would be carried to the goblins inside, and then what becomes of their captives?

"Perhaps our only choice is in speed and stealth. The way of the leopard."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

With their recent experience of just how powerful surprise is, he has to agree with Chandan.

"Ahh, right... no way we can tell for sure what a goblin or two will do if we get its attention."

His idea has its merits, but now thinking about it, it makes more sense to keep the situation in their control instead of guessing how the goblins would react to any sort of stimuli he could produce.

He nods in agreement with Chandan's advice, "Bad idea, should have thought it through better."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He places a hand on the young druid's shoulder and holds up the torch for lighting.

"Meh, an idea is just a spark, Davroar.

"If it doesn't catch, maybe it's not the spark but damp tinder."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Well she is glad she supported Davroar anyway. She hasn't anything more to add but decides to stay with her rapier for now. A little shiver runs down her spine. Too many fire references for her liking.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Even as the group discusses ways of getting the drop on the goblins, they find themselves under attack by some goblins that had been hiding behind the briars. Their first glimpse of the goblins comes as an arrows whiz by both Kallista and Kriv. As lucky as those two were having not been hit, Chandan isn't. He winces in pain as the third goblin arrow strikes true.

The goblins were hidden behind the briars and continue to take cover there.

Goblin group stealth Neptune rolled 1d20+6,1d20+6,1d20+6 and got 21, 16, 20
G1,G2,G3 Targets ADGKNZ Neptune rolled 1d6,1d6,1d6 and got 6, 1, 5
G1 Attacks Kallista Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 10
G2 Attacks Kriv Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 11
G3 Attacks Chandan Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 23
Chandan takes 5 pts damage.

The goblins have 75% cover where they are. I placed the party close enough so that some of the fighters have a chance to enter hand-to-hand melee. We will use a tactical map for this melee and probably every other combat going forward. It just feels right to me.

Please roll for initiative

Attached Images
crag1.jpg (189.52 KB, 120 downloads)
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

Her head snaps around as an arrow wizzes past and she follows it's path back to the woods to their right, across the stream.

With no cover readily at hand, she decides her best course is to move across the stream, to the open area on the other side to see if she can get a better view of the Goblins (intending to move up and cross the stream heading to the square 2 north of Goblin #1. I believe that'll be within her move, assuming the stream is difficult terrain). She naturally will attack as well.

Kallista initiative
Zeim rolled 1d20+2 and got 17

OK, adding results.

Kallista Eldritch Blast/Damage
Zeim rolled 1d20+5,1d10 and got 6, 8 (clear miss)

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 26/09/14 15:52 UTC.
Karok Battlehammer

The first arrow was all he needed to spur to action. with shield before him, he charged around the briars towards the goblins. (Will attack #1 given the chance.)

Initiative Roll: D20-1 = 18

Anger fuels Karok's short strides as he reaches the Goblins first.

Karok Swings Warhammer at Goblin #1
Nivek rolled d20+6 and got 24 (Assume hit?)
Karok Damage vs Goblin
Nivek rolled d8+4 and got 10
I'm assuming that drops him. If not, I might add my second attack thingy.

[ooc: Pissed off dwarf with attitude, be wary ;)]

Last edited by Nivek; Fri 26/09/14 16:15 UTC.
AJ Offline
Kriv

The arrow gets his attention, and he focuses his ire upon the source. Although he had been against taking the rest, it had given him a chance to get his breath back, and here were a pack of vermin closely set together. It was time to smoke them out of cover, dragon style. He strode forward and exhaled...

Kriv Initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 12

Move: One square southeast into the stream, to be 15ft from the line of goblins. Flame breath, 15ft cone of fire, covering all three.
Kriv Firebreathing
AJ rolled 2d6 and got 4

Dex save DC11 half

Last edited by AJ; Fri 26/09/14 17:37 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She retreats a little, drawing her bow as she does so and taking aim as soon as she is able.

Initiative 1d20+3 = 13

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
The party members will undoubtedly all have initiative but we need the initiative rolls who gets where on the map on their turn.

Goblin Initiative Neptune rolled 1d20+2 and got 3

I know that Zeim's heading out soon so why don't you all add your attack now. Just edit your posts. Goblins are AC 15. Anyone shooting through cover is -5 to hit. They have 7 hit points each. Have at 'em!

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Missed!

Attack 1d20+5 = 14, Damage 1d6+3 = 8

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - As Neptune pointed out in the Z thread, on the topic of avoiding meta-gaming, since I am running the same module I know all the details. Therefore there are things I cannot say or suggest the group does. For example I knew there were Goblins in the woods, but I could not suggest we look there. So, as we go along, if anyone has any suggestions for things Kallista might do just put them into a post.)

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 26/09/14 19:42 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC: Kallista might want to give us all her money grin ]

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He was about to laugh at Chandan's comments about his 'damp' idea when the goblin's arrows whistle by them.

Reaching for his quarterstaff, he will rush the middle goblin to close the distance and forcing it into melee, jabbing with his staff.

Initiative = 11, to hit = 14, damage = 1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Vryx
Vryx
Pittsburgh
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,440
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy