Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Neptune, Miales), 47 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Noonish, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah, Cesare, Kathi, Darcy, Marcy, Romana and Tray

"Anyone?"

Marcy looked to Bekkah, wide eyes.

"Anyone?"

Darcy mirrored her sister's words, but with more than a little shock. She continued, though, placing her hand over her mouth.

"Now that would certainly get us in trouble with Lady Jasmine! She is right proper about being right proper!"

Meanwhile Romana was gathering a little crowd, in her broken common, halting yet earnest. She never seemed bothered about her lack of skill; as if the joy was never in how it was said ... but what was said.

" ... and made her watches. Strong mens, harsh, held ups, hand in hair like fists, slapped her tears came, when so tired, could not stands. Watches ... stars in Mothers eyes set, went all flats, empty, gones, losts, never ever agains ... knowing last thing saws was daughters soft eyes of sapphire ... never understoods ... whys ... the why of whys ....

" ... and todays.

Romana reached out, and patted one of the young girls on the head.

" ... Romanashas littles, fell in halls, fell downstairs, always hugs Mothers skirts, jumps off roof - Romanas not fly wells at all - always find smiles and could look up, stars in eyes and hurts would all goes away.

"Romanashkas grews up like Mothers, maybe, perhaps.

"Even if just littles.

"Maybe make Mothers proud.

"Even monsters, even Romanas can hopes."

At the little table Tray and Cesare continued their conversation.

"A snarkhound? And it didn't eat Dommy? Dommy and snarkhounds have never gotten along. Hah, that's why Marcus raises them, you know. "

As they spoke, the lunch crowd builds and with lunch came a minstrel, or two; a lute and bodhran, and with the Bodhran came clapping to a bright country beat, and with a bright country beat came ...

"Absolute nonsense."

Bekkah's reverie was interrupted by a sturdy looking man, perhaps a little older than he, in rough rugged clothes. They were hinted with iron and soot, speaking towards a blacksmith perhaps, or at the least a farrier.

"Me Fa is going on sixty winters and Ma still has to hit him over the head with an oaken switch every now and then again. Or as Ma told me older sisters, findin' a man ain't hard at all. Finding the right man, now thats the trick."

He'd then look down at Bekkah, nodding.

"Old and plain.

"Absolute nonsense.

"You'll never be."

He gave the priestess a challenging look.

"The real question, however, is ... does a fine lady brawle?"

Bekkah

"Why not?" she asked challenging the pair with a twinkle in her eyes.

"What is right proper? To be put on a shelf to be seen. To be called upon to help when others need you?"

"Bah. I can live a life where I dance and smile and laugh and even love. And I can still perform my duties and I dare say, I can perform them with a brighter smile and more compassion. So unless you know of some Atteran law that forbids it, live, love and laugh and you'll thank me. And you can tell Lady Jasmine I said as much."

And all of their attention was on the man making his way towards them.

She gave him an appraising look, taking a moment to answer him before her smile brightened and she raised her arms for him to help her to her feet.

"Oh I know many a brawle. The question I have for you tough is can ye keep up?"

She turned to look back at the girls.

"Watch and learn my girls." she added with a wink.

She kept a hold of the man's strong hands as he led her to join others in the dance. She was beaming and seemed to have lost all of her weariness.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Well this snarkhound is not only well trained but has a well defined palate."

He chuckles.

"I didn't know your brother raised snarkhounds. How many does he have?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Noonish, Midsummer's Day

"How many?"

Tray leaned back, sipping his drink. Slowly, trading sips with bites of meat and bread.

"He's got two that he calls his and then there's the kennels. I don't know exactly. He raises them with the Keep's Hunter; Marcus gets the pick of the litter I believe ... the huntsman then finds proper homes for the pups. I suspect the surrounding manors. Lets see. The two are ..."

Finally Kathi spoke up, head down, words quiet but laced with a certain degree of sharpness to them.

"Dawnstalker and Duskhunter. When the Young Master is in, James looks out for them, because they always come skulking. The Heir calls it stalking.

"They also stalk Miss Mouse, but I don't think for the same reason."

As they conversed, the street outside the tavern became a bright bit of celebration - the minstrels played, the common folk danced, those who were trying to get from one place to another had to make a wide arc around, others forgot their destinations to stay and watch and talk.

"I don't recognize her ..."

"... That's Lady Bekkah herself ....

"... west of the Bridge?

"...so she really really is real?"

The blacksmith didn't listen to the chatter about them. His word was centered upon his light haired partner, making sure Bekkah was swept away by the music, strong when close, dashing when the melody took them apart. He smiled as they turn close, adding a few bright words.

"Then, when the first one one of us gets tired, the other buys dinner. Molly cooks up a good side of meat."

Meanwhile, a smaller drama was playing out.

"Go on ...

"I dare you ...

"But they's Ladies ...

"What are you, chicken? I double dare you .... I triple dog dare you!"

One young lad gulped, looking at his ruffish friend. Gathering himself up he walked to ... one of the twins. He stuck out his hand. one twin leaned back, shocked - probably Darcy of course, but then marcy looked both ways and sood up, letting the boy take her off to dance.

"Marcy! How .. how could ..."

Until, of course, Darcy discovered the true tradition behind the very dangerous dog dare. It wasn't just the intensity of the dare ... it also means ...

That if the dare-ee takes up the challenge, the dare-er has to do it too.

And that is how a confused and startled Darcy ended up dancing too.

Romana just smiled and watched.

Bakkah

She was smiling and laughing as she twisted and turned to the music. Her blond hair flowed around her as she moved and when she lifted her skirts a bit to a quicker part of the dance, she heard cheers. Back close to the man, looked up into his eyes, still smiling.

"Yer on. But I be a warning you. I will cheat." she said looking upward as if to say she'd ask for Her blessing to help her before she laughed and spun away.

"Good on you." she said to one of the twins as they accepted the offer, then to the other when she reluctantly joined in as well.

"On you both"

The only thing that could make this any better would be if someone were to ask Romana to dance.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

His forehead creases into a frown momentarily. He doesn't like the sound of what Kathi may be inferring. But here and now is not the place to pursue it.. or is it? What better ally might Kathi have in the stronghold?

"What do you mean Kathi? Are you or the others at risk from these hounds?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Noonish, Midsummer's Day

"Not me ... not James ...

"James says we are not worthy of their hunt, and knowing how the Heir feels about the Young Master it is not surprising that he has taught them to seek out his younger sibling.

"Miss Mouse ...

"Miss Mouse is shy and quiet and small and she runs a lot. She ... looks a herself differently than most. Luckily she tends to be faster and smarter than ..."

The servant's head suddenly jerked upwards, as if spying something, something familiar.

"Miss Mouse?"

Meanwhile, in the center of the impromptu square the dance changed from one to another, the spins and twirls bringing the dancers closer and closer- eliciting a gasp from Marcy and a hotly chuffed,

"Fresh!"

From Darcy; then the two are swept away by other partners with the twins tsharing a sudden, surprised "eeeek!"

Which, of course, meant that Bekkah found herself lead away into a grand promenade by a shorter, slighter and equally surprised farmer's lad. It took him a couple stumbled steps before he regained the beat, an odd smile on his face - a hey-look-I'm-dancing-with-a-Real-Live-Lady kind of smile.

From the edge of the ring came a startled voice, a familiar one, rough and ragged and tousled, but very familiar.

"Where are we ... why'd you bring me ...."

It was Kay, looking as if she had run all the way from the Fifth Ring, a bit off balance, a bit of catching her breath, the folks standing near her backed from her a bit - for she leaned upon her tall spear, the one with war weary favors hanging from beneath its deadly ox-tongue head.

" ... great ... now where'd you go ..."

The young Dayalan lifted her head, blinked and then simply said,

"Oh."

For her gaze had fallen upon the last of their party. Her head canted to the side, taking one awkward step forward before stopping. And then it was a sprint, a broken field rush through the middle of the dancers, like a top caroming this way and that before launching herself forward to end skidding, upon her knees, right up to the newest Atteran Initiate.

"Are you fine? No one's hurt you?"

Romana looked as shocked as everyone else.

"Eeep!"

"They tried to make me important. I don't want to be important. I want to serve my Goddess. I want to make Lily-kins proud. They say I'm all important, but I ... I ... I don't want to be. You ... you are a Princess ..."

That brought a sudden breath of shock from those within hearing - from the children, wide eyed and every thing, from the matron, who gave their kind monster a measuring look.

"How do you do it?"

To Kay's question, Romana smiled.

"Romanas are Romanas are Romanas."

"I don't understand."

"Romanas are Romanas are Romanas. Kays are Kays are Kays."

"But ... but ... but ... I don't know what a Kay is anymore."

The Initiate of Kind Lady just looked at the other girl, for a long long set of heartbeats.

"Kay ... Kah'shka ... Kah'shka is Romanas friend, yesyesyes?"

The Dayalan sat back on her haunches, leaned on her spear and after a long moments silence spoke a single syllable.

"Ja."

The music continued and after a while Bekkah's last wish was fulfilled - though it was quite silly watching a worn healer drag a gawking swordsgirl into the celebratory melee by both sleeve cuffs. Not that Bekkah had the time to comment, for suddenly the farm lad was sidestepped, cut like a colt from the herd.

She found herself once again in a blacksmith's arms.

"I cheat too."

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 13/07/14 19:34 UTC.
Bekkah

She noticed Kay coming running up like her clothes were on fire but she was swept away before she could really tell what the problem was. When she was turned back closer, she saw her now with Romanas and her young initiate was calming explaining something. That put a smile on her face. A smile that was still there when strong arms held her again. Her eyes twinkled at the blacksmith.

"I see. I just thought you needed a rest to keep up with me." she said stepping in a bit closer than was normal. He may find it hard to believe, but a Lady of Attera was actually flirting with him.

Last edited by Nivek; Sun 13/07/14 02:46 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

His question has raised the topic but it is not his to answer. He looks at the young lord pointedly, weaiting for him to answer Kathi.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Noonish, Midsummer's Day

"I believe ..."

Tray looked between his two companions.

"That it may have to do with her low self esteeem.

"But that is just a guess; I am not one who has spent time in close company with any ruff, let alone a snarkhound."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"The only snarkhound I know has full obedience to his mistress but I have never seen him hunt another person.. nor would he unless commanded to do so.. or maybe in defence of his mistress."

He shrugs.

"Not up to me to question another.. but if these hounds are not so well trained.. should they be in a position for this to occur?"

He's only ever had dogs set on him once and they were farm dogs, not snarkhounds. However it was a very scary experience and he spend some time up a tree in order to prevent a closer encounter.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Noonish, Midsummer's Day

"That's the rub, isn't it?"

Lord Tray looked across the table, nodding to Cesare and Kathi.

"What if they are not poorly trained? What if they are as well trained as a snarkhound can be? Maybe the rumors have a mote of truth to them, that at the very best they can only be half taught.

"What does this say about them and their masters?"

The scholar sipped his beer and then looked at the mug. He took a bite of bread and meat. He considered his simple repast, tilting his head.

"When folks speak of feasts, I know what they say, I've read about them. Grand occasions that take many pages in a book or long length of a scroll to describe.

"Yet for me. This right here. Is a feast.

"Maybe we have a natural tendency to look for complex answers when in truth they are quite simple and they are right in front of us.

"Maybe they are just very good hunters."

As the three chatted, they were joined by a fourth. Miss Mouse snuggled herself close in next to Kathi, the older, taller servant naturally and protectively tucking her under one arm. They shy one carried - a bit awkwardly - Kay's spear, protecting it while the dark haired Dayalan was lead through the bright bransle by the white haired Atteran.

It was interesting. While many folks got a chuckle out of Kay's clumsy steps and a fierce scowl in return. Romana smiled and did not seem to mind at all.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the circle, the blacksmith slipped a very strong arm around Bekkah's waist, so that at the next bright turn not only was she held a little too close but dashing and fancy enough to lift her feet from the ground.

"How is that for tired?"

The blacksmith shared a swashbuckling grin with the Lady Bekkah.

The bold display received both laughter and applause from those watching the dance!

Bekkah

She laughed with pure joy when he lifted her off her feet. If there was discomfort in being held so close, it did not show. In fact, if it was not for the robes and holy symbol, most would take her for a simple peasant girl being shown the time of her life.

"Quite impressive good man." she said still laughing with joy.

"But can the speed of your feet match the strength of your arms in this next part?" she said challengingly. When he finally set her down, she hiked up her skirts a bit and her feet moved to the pattern facing him. If they'd had weapons the steps and her posture would have been a clear challenge to a duel. She watched him smiling to see if he could match her.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He feels he has introduced the concern about the snark hounds now, maye the best thing is to let the young Lord ponder on it for a while.. after all it is Midsummers.

He downs his ale and gets to his feet.

"I think it is time to dance, maybe one or both of you will do me the honour?"

He grins at both Kathi and Mouse and then glances back to Lord Trey.

"With your permission my Lord."

A big concession for Cesare, it is rare he asks for permission for anything but he is concerned about leaving the Lord, newly out of his sick bed. He might be intending a dance but he will be watching over Lord Trey regardless.

Last edited by Gypsy; Mon 21/07/14 20:07 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Early Afternoon, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah, Cesare, Kathi, Darcy, Marcy, Romana and Tray ... and eventually others ...

"I think ...."

Kathi simply tilted her head.

"I think that Miss Mouse will prefer staying here with the Young Master's brother and keep him company. Wouldn't you, Miss Mouse?"

Still holding Kay's spear - which towered a couple mouses high - in both arms, the smallest of Dominic's servants looked up to her household mate and nodded her reply before looking to Tray with a big wide smile. Kathi raised her head and turned back towards the gallant Cesare.

"I believe that just leaves myself, if a servant girl is fine for this midwinters, though this will be very different ..."

The young woman stepped backwards towards the street where the minstrels played and the dancing occurred. Tray looked between the three from Kathi to Mouse to Cesare.

"Go ... go .... I'll gladly keep the little one company."

After Tray gave his blessing, Kathi continued her sentence,

" ... this will be very different ... you are much taller than the Young Master."

Inside the ring of dancers, Kay had finally figured out a few steps, fiercely trying to keep up with a court trained princess. Though her clumsiness did have an occasional benefit.

"Hey. Tomboy. You can't dance ... and a pretty girl should have a big strong handsome ... OW!"

A rake did try, once, to cut between Easterner and Dayalan. Only to have a misstep on the Dayalan's part end up driving a wooden heel into his soft leather boot.

"Ooops."

Meanwhile, the middle of the of the street started to clear, not that the dancing stopped, no, it continued in a set of three rings, each rotating around the center. And in the center two were left.

Between dancers and the minstrels they had created an arena.

An arena for a Midsummer's duel.

"That's a Skaefla step ... "

The blacksmith smiled at Bekkah, and he was correct, it was a turn from the other side of the Silk Creek Bridge.

The blacksmith matched the Priestess, step for step, beat for beat - with the advantage that his boots had harder heels which tapped out the rhythm upon the cobbles.

"My Mother was from those lands. How about you?"

It was his turn to continue, upping the stakes and challenging Bekkah with a sailor's jig.

But then, Lady Bekkah had, of course, herself, been trained in the port of Talesan's Village.

This was what two redheads found, as they finally made it to the outermost ring. Something Daxia had never seen before - her kind older sister ... in battle.

Per se.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

They had traveled all the way down to the First Ring, very nearly out of the city itself, before they came upon the most amazing and enchanting sight.

The fact that Lord Tray Korie sat anonymously in a crowd of commoners — mostly commoners, she reminded herself — with Dominie’s littlest servant — Mouse, it was, ya? — was delightful enough to bring a smile to the Dayalan’s face.

Watching Cesare dancing with Dominie’s other servant brought a small pang to her heart, for she would have liked to see Darian this day to wish her a happy Midsummer. But it would have been quite uncomfortable for Darian among so many people. And Cesare... well, he simply enjoyed life, and dancing, and whatever each day brought. She could probably do well to embrace a bit of that Rhoni philosophy.

Her grin broadened as she watched Romana and Kay. There was something in their dancing — perhaps it was Kay’s honestly clumsy mashing of some poor lad’s foot — that sparked a seeing of Paths. One was Romana’s... one was Kay’s... it was impossible to tell where the Paths led, but it was clear they were intertwined.

“Hoi,” she said under her breath as she decidedly did not giggle, “I told you so.”

But then she spied her sister in the middle of the rings of dancers. Dazi had to bite a knuckle to keep from bursting out laughing. Oh, Bekkah’s partner was good. He was very good. But Dazi knew her sister.

Bekkah cheated.

Even before she became a follower of Attera and learned how to heal her own aching, blistered feet — not that Bekkah would ever really do such a thing... well, probably not — Bekkah had somehow managed to cheat.

When she was sure she wasn’t going to laugh loud and long enough to distract Bekkah, she pointed the couple out to Kisa. “I would put a coin on the poor fellow if I had coin to bet and if I were a betting person, surely from sympathy. I don’t know how Bekkah does it, but she has always been the last dancer standing and begging for more.” She raised an eyebrow as the patterns of their feet changed. “And she’s learned some new steps that I don’t know! How wonderful!”

Dazi looked at Kisa with a bright glint in her eyes.

“I don’t suppose the folk from around Sapphire Lake or beyond Glacier are famous for their dancing, are they?” She chuckled, then nodded toward the others of her little party. “They will be lighting torches before Bekkah gives up, I would think. Come dance with me! There’s more room closer to my friends.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Bekkah

When doing her Lady's work, she felt infused with life, but short of that, she could not remember a time she had as much fun in many years to this duel of dance. When Dazi sees her, she'll see a smile on Bekkah's face that she hasn't seen since they were young.

There was a light sheen of sweat on Bekkah's face and she practically glowed as she moved. She matched the blacksmith step for step. She knew every dance he had suggested and in turn, he moved as well as any man she'd ever had the pleasure of dancing with.

His question almost made her miss a step.

"I did not know my mother." she said curtly before hiking her skirts a bit to show that she could dance the jig like she'd lived by the sea all her life.

He had tended to steps that let the sound of his boots match the music so everyone knew how perfect his steps had been. She decided to see if he could match her ability to flow.

"Surely a man of your skill can keep up with this." she said as she set to spinning. Her skirts flared out as she spun around him, faster and faster to the point where more of her legs showed that might be considered proper for a lady. Her blond hair, loose flowed around her and she seemed to be losing herself. As a child she'd always enjoyed spinning and she could do it long periods without ever getting dizzy. The man's counter steps to this involved spinning as well, matching her pace to meet every tenth turn before separating again.

[ooc: If this sounds stupid, sorry. I know very little about dancing.]

Last edited by Nivek; Sun 27/07/14 23:57 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Smiling at the young Lord, he offers a hand to Kathi and leads her out into the dance, joining the outer circle. He has no formal training just some experience dancing around the campfire with his small family, joining in with villagers wherever they stopped and a general enthusiasm. He doesn't much care if he can't follow a pattern, instead he would improvise with steps of his own, not at all self-conscious about it either.

He does however pay attention to his partner and smiles at Kathi, hoping she has a good Midsummers. He remembers the last time he was dancing and that was with Darian. She had an enthusiasm that matched his and being partners in more than just dance allowed an intimacy and a matching of style that he had delighted in. He hopes she is safe.. and really wishes they were together.. especially today.

But he cannot change that...

So several ales and the general atmosphere all help to rise to the occasion and he gives himself up to the music.

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

When the others of the small group had ventured inside the city, she and the Covener had opted to remain outside the walls. Each had had their own reasons but at least one in common - cities made them uncomfortable. For herself, her initial foray into one had caused discomfort and some disgust at all the people crammed in together and on top of each other. The experiences that followed in both Cragside and Bordertown did nothing to dissuade those feelings but rather exacerbated them, giving rise to an even greater mistrust of cities and those who lived in them. The only thing that tempered that mistrust was the small group of people with whom she had been traveling.

At some point between the time the others went in and now, the one called Jankin had been Called. She had hunted, mostly small game, just enough to keep herself and Longtooth fed, keeping bones and pelts and feathers as she was wont to do. This morning she let her feet lead her and the snarkhound. Midday found them just outside the town walls where the big gates were thrown open. Music and laughter drifted out to tickle their ears. She had to admit it was much more pleasant than some of the things they had heard from other towns.

She looked down to her four footed companion, chuffed and tilted her head in question. He chuffed in return and offered a small dip of his head. moved forward towards those big gates.

Together they wended their way through the outliers, both stepping easily and lightly. All eyes were on the dancers and ears on the music. It was only once they had passed into view did people realize they were there.

The first one she spotted that she knew was the healer, her blond hair and white dress unmistakeable. Nearby was the red haired healer's sister, the Dayalan and her friend. She smiled at seeing them happy and slid toward a wall. Another of their companions whirled into view, and she smiled again. The others she did not see and did not look overmuch. She was content to watch, trading a bit for ales for her and Longtooth.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Normally he may not have noticed though little of import escaped the Rhoni's eyes as he is more of an observer than a participant. Today though he is still partly on his guard, concerned about the welfare of the young Lord, recently restored to health. So his eyes do check the young Lord and scan the area for potential threats or anyone new.

He had been thinking of Darian and his eyes slide past her, for a moment considering her an apparition of his desires but no, his eyes move back and there she is. His feet stop dancing, his mouth forms a huge grin and probably aided by the mood of the day and a couple of quickly downed ales, he lets out a whoop and run out of the dance towards her, aiming to pick her up and twirl her around.

It is probably fair to say he is delighted to see her.

Last edited by Gypsy; Sat 02/08/14 17:56 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

There were few things that might have made the day a more brilliant celebration than it was. Though they weren’t in Dawnview, she was still dancing with Kisa... that alone was a greater gift than any other she could have received on this Midsummers Day. The Dayalan’s smile was readily shared with all of the world; she had more graceful, though equally effective, ways of dissuading any interested potential dance partners from interrupting them than accidentally stepping on their feet. Dancing and sparring had a great deal in common she realized, and that only added to the merriment.

Dazi started at Cesare’s cry, concerned as always for those in her small troop. But when she saw the reason for his cry — and the surprised look on the face of his dance partner — she relaxed again. Seeing Darian was one of the things that did make the day even better. Dominic’s servant didn’t remain without a partner for very long, as there were any number of men young and not so young willing to do their best to keep her on her feet and dancing.

“Darian,” she said to Kisa as the steps of the dance brought them closer and allowed Dazi the chance to guide Kisa in a circle around another pair of dancers. “I will introduce you after Cesare has had a chance to express his happiness.”

She’d been aware that Cesare glanced often at Lord Tray, so the Starrider diverted a fraction of her attention to the Korie Lord while Cesare’s eyes, mind, and heart were otherwise occupied. It was Midsummers and she doubted anything worse than a bold request to dance would intrude upon his seemingly peaceful delight at merely being outdoors. Still... there were three warriors of Dayala nearby and ready to defend the relatively defenseless lord should it become necessary.

She did wonder how long Bekkah’s dance partner could keep up with her. Bekkah was in the middle of one of her wild spinning sprees... Dazi knew even she could never hope to match Bekkah in a spinning contest.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Early Afternoon, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah, Cesare, Kathi, Darcy, Marcy, Romana, Tray, Romana, Kay, the Blacksmith, Miss Mouse, Daxia, Kisa, Darian ...

... and Longtooth.

A blink.

A stop.

Hands held awkwardly at her side, for a moment one of the dancers looked lost, out of place and suddenly alone. Kathi's jaw dropped a bit, without a why, without a where for, abandoned upon a Midsummer's dance.

Her head ducked, properly, of course, and folding her hands behind her back she slowly slipped her way through the dancers. It wasn't until something caught her attention that her eyes suddenly widened and she broke into a run.

Meanwhile ...

"I don't think I could have wished for a better Midsummer's gift."

In the midst of a fancy turn, skirts slashing in the dashing Dawnview style, Kisa offered Daxia a matching gift in return.

Her smile.

Meanwhile ...

"I ain't stoppin' unless you do! Anythin' you can do, Snowtop, I can do ..."

Meanwhile ...

"Keep up with you?"

The blacksmith didn't even give Bekkah a chance to complete her second fancy spin before he swept into the center of the circles, snaring her waist, following her lead, accenting her steps with his own ... when she spun, she was twirled, when she hopped, strong arms lofted her in to the air.

"Do you know the man's secret of the dance ..."

And when Bekkah came sailing back down she was deftly caught and sent spinning across the square.

" ... it's making his partner look both beautiful and graceful."

Meanwhile ...

At Tray's table ...

There wasn't even a squeak, in an awkward hop-panic-leap Mouse was suddenly in the Korie's lap, desperately shuffling back against him, as if she were trying to hide inside the lord's surcoat.

That was when Kathi arrived, literally skidding across the dusty road to end with her back to Mouse and Tray, legs spread apart, warms out wide - a servant sized barricade, a path blocked, a you shall not pass.

She was between Mouse and ...

Longtooth.

The snarkhound's teeth were bared, and momentarily paused, his predatory gaze darted back and forth, trying to see past this sudden interruption, to his small prey.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

She returned Kisa’s smile, happier than she felt since... well, since leaving the Vale late last Yrick. Dazi didn’t think anything could mar the bright, joyous wonder of the day.

Of course, she was wrong.

Movement... movement... and yet more movement.

“Tcha!! No!”

She almost hated herself for doing it, but she stepped away from Kisa...

“Stay with Dandy!”

...and then wove, ducked and flat out ran in the same direction as Dominic’s servant. She came to a halt beside — well, slightly in front of — the servant girl, and stared at Longtooth.

“Brave lass,” she said quietly to the young woman standing between the snarkhound and her friend.

Only slightly louder, but her voice filled to overflowing with annoyance, she said to the ruff, “No, Longtooth! Friend. Not prey. Friend!”

She had one hand on her dagger and the other on the pommel of her sword, but did not want to draw either one on... well... a friend. He might be a wild and very dangerous friend, but as much as any ruff could be considered a friend, Longtooth was certainly that. Still, she refused to take her eyes off him.

“Darian! Dazi not want hurt Longtooth. Come! Now!” she called to the Hunter.

She hoped the small Mouse sized lass was well hidden behind her friend and in Lord Korie’s arms.

“Dazi must hurt Longtooth if Longtooth try to hurt girl.” Yes, he was a ruff. But he was smarter than any other ruff she’d met in her life... he’d proved that many times over. “Dazi not want. But Dazi must.”

She prayed to her Lady that it wouldn’t be necessary to fully draw her sword and use it, even as she began easing it from the scabbard.

Bekkah

There was no way she could have seen the drama unfolding around her. Besides, her skills were best suited to what happened afterwards, she was not a fighter at all.

She laughed as the blacksmith lifted her up and spun her. And when he pulled her in close so that he could spin and let her fly away, she held tight, their bodies as close as two people could get.

It was hard to speak when she moved like this, but she replied to him in pieces as she came close again.

"From the looks ..."

"Of the people..."

"around us ..."

"I'd say you're ..."

"Doing a masterful job ..."

Then the music changed giving her a bit of a chance to catch her breath.

"You are quite a dancer sir. I am more than impressed." she said looking into his eyes as they moved in the center of the people.

"But I will not make me tire. Perhaps a truce is in order?"

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Her head swiveled towards the sudden cry. With the crowd, the dancers and the movement of all, the source was no longer in the place where she looked. So it was that she was slightly surprised by the hands on her. Her mug of ale went flying, spilling and spraying on her and those surrounding her.

She twisted and threw an elbow, connecting solidly with her accoster's nose. She twisted again to follow through with her other elbow and tore herself from his grasp to follow the flash of Longtooth's fur. There being no room to draw her bow, her hand went to her long dagger,

She arrived just as Dazi called her name.

"Hoi, Dazi," she said, taking in the Dayalan's defensive stance against the snarkhound.

She had reason to trust her friend and saw no evidence of threat here.

"Longtooth!" she barked sharply. "Here be no prey!"

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Zeim
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,841
Posts140,721
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy