Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Pandemonium), 13 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#710215 Thu 29/05/14 12:07 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
After a conversation with a colleague, we were talking about some of the great SF stories that were used* for movies, stories we almost remembered, etc.

One we recently brought up was Varley's "Air Raid"

Want to share some stories here that inspired, intrigued, etc? Do you recall reading a piece like "Air Raid" that inspired, got you thinking, or you've been trying to remember ever since?

What are some stories that inspired you (or made you stop and go hmmm...)

*that's another discussion in and of itself - if the story was a starting point, if it was mangled in the movie making, improved, and so on.

Last edited by Raven; Thu 29/05/14 12:16 UTC.
#710227 Thu 29/05/14 13:24 UTC
M
M
Ya know, I got started reading HG Wells ... because there was a time when that was just about the only SF you could find (when you were too young to wander about on your own <g> ) And the SF in Movies and TV was pretty tame.

Then one day I found AE Van Voght. Now =that= was SF that made me stop and go "Hmmm". From then on I was 'hooked' and read pretty much anything I could find Donaldson, Jordan, Foster, Leiber, Cherryh ... The list goes on <g>

MikeD
MikeD #710230 Thu 29/05/14 13:38 UTC
AJ Offline
Heinlein was a real eye opener for me as a kid, the alternate worlds just a step away postulated by Number of the Beast and Glory Road, the wonders of the Lazarus Long books, all of them had a big impact on an impressionable mind.

AJ #710245 Thu 29/05/14 14:49 UTC
Got to admit, my intro to Science Fiction began on Television. Star Trek, Lost in Space, Batman, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Land of the Giants, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel, and The Wild, Wild West.

The first Science Fiction novel I ever read wasn't actually what you'd call a classic. It was called The Texas-Israeli War of 1999 and honestly, it wasn't bad, but sure wasn't anything to write home about either. First exposure to some really good Sci-Fi was a compilation of short stories called The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume 1.

Stories like Nightfall, Arena, First Contact, and Cold Equations along with many other classic stories really grabbed me for the first time and I've been hooked ever since.

Numbers Geek
Numbers Geek
My intro to SF was Ray Bradbury, so anything in The Martian Chronicles or The Illustrated Man.

Any of Cordwainer Smith's short stories, although The Dead Lady of Clown Town is a favorite

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
I broke into it with a Asimov short story collection book. Which I still have.

I pretty much got hooked by Foundation and the robot short stories by Asimov and, of course, the Heinlein juveniles. Then on to the rest of their work, van Vogt and Robert Silverberg.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
I remember .. "The ugly little boy"

Oh, I remember that story. smile

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
I remember "Cold Equations" having a huge impact on me. When I started team teaching Science of SF, the physics professor and I would debate the story as humanities versus science.

#712457 Sat 14/06/14 03:23 UTC
I remember that story actually shaking me. I was just twelve years old when I read it for the first time, that hugely thick paperback in my hands, my mouth wide open. He didn't discover a way to save her. He didn't sacrifice himself for her. She stepped bravely into the airlock and he flushed her like a toilet. That was really my first literary lesson in "Life's not fair".

I reread the story. Several times. There had to be something there, there had to be some loophole that would allow her to escape. There wasn't. The name of the story was absolutely accurate. Cold Equations. Sometimes a very bad thing could happen to a very good person who had nothing but the very best of intentions because the math just doesn't work out.

I lost a little innocence that day, and grew up just a bit.

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
Barry,

I know the feeling. The funny part is, the engineering argument is something like, "elevators don't fall when they hit the 2001 pound. The tolerance is always higher than stated."

We had some great debates about that story.

#712464 Sat 14/06/14 13:36 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
The tolerance is the reason the ejection could wait until just before reentry. The usual objection I've seen is the lack of security on the pod.

Argus #712477 Sat 14/06/14 19:13 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
The physics/engineering half of the show had lots of objections! It was interesting seeing/hearing readers' reactions after he got through with his portion.

I know what Barry means about learning that sometimes life isn't fair. Or rather, one of the things I learned was 'keep out or else' could mean just that. (And during my school-age years they wondered why I didn't want to ignore those signs!)

#712878 Tue 17/06/14 19:42 UTC
Don Offline
I remember my first fantasy collection. It was, Swords Against Death and I was a freshmen in college and found it in the book store while buying text books. Ironically I didn't read Tolkien until after I started playing D&D (after I graduated). Before that (The year between college and high school) I read a lot of Asmiov and Clarke, through I don't remember the first one any more. At that time I didn't care much for short stories and as a result came to Ray Bradbury much later than the other Biggies. In fact I might never have gotten around to Bradbury but for a very short, short story (if I remember correctly it is four pages) by Arthur C. Ckarke called: The Star which won the Hugo Award for Best Short Story in 1956.

Don #712887 Tue 17/06/14 21:59 UTC
M
M
<heh heh heh> I remember that book. Wasn't it par of a series of ... I think that there are 4 or 5 books in the 'Sword and ...' series <g> I have not thought about those books in a long time. Thanks for the pleasant memories!!

MikeD
MikeD #712888 Tue 17/06/14 22:07 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
Don,

Do you mean this story? I was recently thinking of the story as well as the computer being used to help compile all the names of God for the lamas. That one , too, is a story I think about quite a bit.

#712970 Wed 18/06/14 04:27 UTC
Don Offline
That's the one. grin

I was going to the University of Detroit, when I first encountered that story, in the Hugo Winners anthology from the Doubleday Science Fiction Book Club (who remembers all those book club editions- that you got whether or not you wanted them if you were lazy about sending back your monthly statement).

Being a Detroiter you probably know that U of D* is Michigan's only Jesuit University so that story always has extra kick for me, being Jesuit educated and all.

Short stories have no set length and some are quite long. I think the fact that this particular on is so startlingly brief drives its point home all the harder. It sort of sneaks by as you try to read the plot and then wham bam, thank you ma'am ends so abruptly you can only go, "Oh my God!"

*Had to throw this out as well when I started hanging out with a bunch of guys, including Mark Stafford of Amber and STS fame, from Dayton it always cracked me up when they referenced U of D, meaning the University of Dayton. In my own parochial world view there is only one U of D. grin

Don #712985 Wed 18/06/14 11:38 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
I taught both stories sometimes in my various SF classes. They both pack quite a punch.

And of course there's only one U of D (like there's only one U of M or MSU).

#714419 Tue 24/06/14 21:08 UTC
I had been reading science fiction for a long while ... mostly Clarke, because for some reason I thought Asimov was too dry to enjoy.

And for a long while my favorite reading was SFWA "The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volumes 1 and 2" ... how could you not be influenced by THOSE stories? Which of course included "Cold Equations" as well as as "Scanners Live in Vain" and "Flowers for Algernon" and the "The Witches of Karres".

But it wasn't until later that I was to read a short story that I have held close to my heart since. Today the Author is Famous, not for his science fiction, but for his fantasy. I could never really get into a Game of Thrones ... but once, at the beginning of his career, George RR Martin wrote a story for Analog by the name of:

"With Morning Comes Mistfall"

It is the story of a far off loch ness monster, and the triumph of science over legend and myth. And yet for a science fiction story, it was rare and unique. Because the technological victory was bittersweet.

It reminds us that often the question is worth far much more than the answer ... that the world just might be a better place where unicorns and dragons and wraiths might be ... rather than one where it has been proven they are not.

Its a story I can't forget.

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 24/06/14 21:09 UTC.
Wolf #714425 Tue 24/06/14 21:51 UTC
M
M
I have read much of Martin's work. I was not impressed by the movie and I will admit that it took a bit of reading before the GoT novels really captured my interest. But in the end, there is a reason that they decided to make it a movie <g> You might want to give them a second look some time <g>

MikeD
MikeD #714534 Wed 25/06/14 10:11 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
GoT is my favourite series of books and the TV series is pretty darn good too! smile

Gypsy #715661 Tue 01/07/14 14:26 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
This isn't really SF - though it was published in Asimov's Children of Tomorrow anthology.

Long before Hogwarts, was Robert Sheckley and his story "The Accountant."

I remember it a fun little tale showing where true evil can be found... accounting!

#718123 Thu 10/07/14 21:49 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
"A Pail of Air" by Fritz Leiber. Until I was recently leafing through a collection of Leiber's writing, I'd forgotten that he'd written this one!

"Pa had sent me out to get an extra pail of air."

#720473 Wed 16/07/14 20:50 UTC
Lavr Fedotovich looked at him kindly.

The silent treatment was over, and Farfurkis, tears of joy glistening in his eyes, spoke:

"I protest! There was an obvious discrepancy in the age description. The form gives the date of birth as 213 B.C. If that were so, then Case 72 would be over two thousand years old, which exceeds the known maximum by two thousand years. I demand that the date be corrected and the guilty party punished."

Khlebovvodov said jealously:

"Maybe he's from one of those places in the Caucasus where people live a long time? How do you know?"

"But allow me," Farfurkis sputtered. "Even in the Caucasus … "

"I will not allow it," said Khlebovvodov. "I will not allow you to downplay the achievements of our glorious Caucasus dwellers! If you must know, their maximum possible age has no limit!" And he looked triumphantly at Lavr Fedotovich.

"The people," said Lavr Fedotovich, "the people are eternal. Space visitors come and go, but our people, our glorious people, will live on through the ages."

By the Great Bureaucratic Seal!

There's a copy of Boris and Arkady Strugatsky's Tale of the Trioka available online!

Tale of the Trioka or What If Lewis Carroll Was Russian.

I don't know which version it is. There were two - the first novelette, which was fairly cynical ... the second novelette that somehow managed to get adapted for a magazine ... both of which ended up on the cold war-era Soviet Politically Incorrect Book List faster than a pterodactyl can eat a welcome sign.

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 16/07/14 20:53 UTC.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,447
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy