Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Vryx), 22 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 58 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 57 58
Gypsy #668500 Fri 21/06/13 11:58 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
No problem, and I'd say stop at the tavern.

Zeim #668513 Fri 21/06/13 15:30 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
As I said last night, Daxia would listen to Kay’s comments while chatting with her, but after standing up, would suggest they continue their conversation on the road. She would then assist in Romana’s rescue, attaching the lovely cap to the end of the rope before dropping it down so Romana could tuck her white tresses away.

Logic dictates staying at the inn, otherwise we’ll be leap frogging over every inn and farmhouse and spare barn from here to Talantal. Or the next day... or the day after... will wind up be a short day to get back on the “there’s someplace to stay at the end of every day” routine. Oh... unless places to stay become more frequent and plentiful as one gets closer to Talantal. But Dazi wouldn’t know that. Someone else in the party might know that... but Dazi wouldn’t. So Dazi would prefer staying at the next tavern.

Well, on the other hand, I foresee a plethora of problems... however, not being clairvoyant, Dazi would still opt for the tavern, with the proviso that saying, in effect, “Well, on second thought, let’s not go to Camelot — it is a silly place,” is an option when arriving at said tavern and assessing the situation there.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Gypsy #668579 Sat 22/06/13 03:52 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian has no unanswered questions and she most certainly would choose to stop at the next tavern for a proper rest for all those concerned.

ividia #682291 Wed 18/09/13 13:14 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Away now until Tues/Weds next week.

Gypsy #683658 Mon 23/09/13 03:13 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
So... I’m confused, but that’s nothing new around these parts. The first GM post of A City of Five Rings didn’t make it clear — at least in my reading of it — that the group was holding up traffic by standing in the middle of an intersection. I, perhaps erroneously, read the post as there being three (well four, if you count turning around the way they came) roads from which to choose and that we ought to choose one at some point. I was making (an apparently incorrect) assumption that we — like normal people who’d stop to make a decision — would move off to the side of the road. Not being a native New Yorker, this seemed a reasonable assumption at the time.

However, from the second GM post, I’m getting the impression that the intersection is less roomy that our driveway (which, granted, is fairly room... but perhaps not for ten people, five horses, a unicorn and a snarkhound... you know, I’m just going to amend that to our considerably smaller driveway in Niskayuna). My bad. (Although I don’t think I can truly be faulted for believing there’d be room enough for the party to step to the side, seeing as Talantal is the most glorious of places on the mainland. (Dazi... Romana... stop snickering.)

It would appear that the default position, if one does not make an explicit decision — as has happened with the group — is to stand in line to enter the gates of Talantal, though I’ll grant I may be misreading that, too.

So, again, I think we need a map! A sketch of what’s where... who’s where... all that jazzy jazz. (No jazz hands, please... we’re saving that for the concert, unless I can talk Vinny out of it.)

In the meantime, I have this dilemma of trying to figure out how to incorporate the things I have written for a post with not only the conversation Mikal and Cesare had, but this new and confusing information from the GM, and coming up with a post that makes sense. Writing rambling OOC posts are fine when my brain is mushy and becoming infused with delightful pain-eradicating medication, but actual posts really should be cogent... and can’t be written while mush-brained or drug-infused.

Also? My Muse does not want to talk to me about this. Some days I hate my Muse. Corralling my Muse is like network administration which is like herding cats. I’m sure some of you can appreciate my frustration.

Anyway. A sketch? Yes. That would help. Well, no, I take that back. A sketch TO SCALE would help.

Kel #683726 Mon 23/09/13 15:35 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Have to agree with you, Kel. I did not understand the reference to Talantal later on as from the initial post I had thought we were still some distance off, near an intersection on a dusty road, having just passed a small village built into a cliff face, with the spires of Grand Talantal off in the far distance. The reference to the Gates confused me completely. In fact the summarized options likewise leaves me scratching my head as I don't see how they relate to our choice of route.

All that said, I have no issues entering the city and finding a nice inn to drink in while we discuss our options in more comfort.

Zeim #683778 Mon 23/09/13 20:14 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Have to admit, I was a tad confused as well.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Well the conversation between Cesare & Mikal was muted and just between the two of them - so you could just ignore it. One dilemma out of the way! wink

Gypsy #684006 Tue 24/09/13 12:19 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Well, yes. And no. The exchange may have started off softly, but then...

"I am not sure you understand the scope of what you offer," he says, voice carrying to any who care to listen.

If we’re as close together and in as congested a place as the GM seems to have implied in the second post, we all would have heard everything Mikal and Cesare said (and so would half the people milling about, come to think of it). Even with my original assumption that we were a bit more spread out and off to the side of the road, so to speak, “any who care to listen” means that any of us could have heard the conversation... or at least Mikal’s part of it. Being the pseudo leader of this band of merry misfits, Dazi would be concerned enough about Mikal to have been one of those who cared to listen. Heck, even if Dazi wasn’t pretending to be the leader of the pack, she’d be concerned about her friend Mikal.

So, yeah. Not so much help there.

I do have a niggling idea in the back of my mind, but I can’t really tease it out until I know whether we’re milling about as I had originally envisioned things or if we're dancing cheek to cheek.

I therefore remain confused, and feel the current pulling my boat up fecal infested waters as my oar slips out of my hands.

[Ha ha! TWO song references in one post. Go me.]

Kel #684011 Tue 24/09/13 12:35 UTC
O
Revenant
Revenant
O
And now there is a potential confrontation, unless the most recent comment has stemmed that tide. Good times! <For some reason chaos and disorder sound like a good idea to me right now>

Last edited by Owain; Tue 24/09/13 12:35 UTC.
Owain #684018 Tue 24/09/13 13:07 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
You have a very bizarre definition of "good times," young man. Chaos is A VERY BAD THING on the Heartwood. The agents of Dayala will have to smite you if you become touched by Chaos. Alas, poor Jankin! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. Dazi's not all that keen on killing folks... such an odd affectation for a warrior, but there you have it. And killing someone who's been part of the company for some number of weeks (or months... who knows? Likely, not even the Shadow, though Super OCD Woman could tell you, but I'm not going to ask her) doesn't rank at all on her list of fun things to do.

This potential confrontation is merely the most outward symptom of the violence (er, chaos) inherent in the system; it is another ingredient in the confusion that reigns here. Frankly, I don't understand the post at all... not the content nor the reason for its writing, though I did privately express my opinion to the GM. Five of the eight players had not yet had a chance to post, so in terms of the group standing around in the street, it could hardly have been but a few seconds. Not that they can tell time on the Heartwood, but how could more than a couple of minutes have passed? This adds yet another layer of confusion to my poor addled brain, a brain that is well known by now to be obsessive and compulsive about many things, but the primary -- in the sense of both original and most important -- thing that my poor beleaguered brain gets OCD about is TIME.

So, I'm just going to go do some work, and return HWD to the back burner. However, most of my brain is saying, "Do not go to Talantal. Unlike Camelot, it is not a silly place. It is a place of No Fun."

Kel #684022 Tue 24/09/13 13:29 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
To clarify, Mikal DID intend that any of our group who were interested would hear his conversation (he wasn't shouting and didn't intend villagers walking past to hear). He'd mentioned ancillary details about it in passing often enough that he felt he might as well let most of the rest of it out, and, most importantly, the group was at a decision point and his personal history could have had a major impact on what happened if they made one specific decision.

Zeim #684169 Tue 24/09/13 19:49 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
well i did wait for two weeks ... and after that long I thought it would be wise to nudge things.

and im working 11-12 hour days and can only type this waiting for autocad to reboot, so it might take a bit to scan a sketch.

you are right before the city gates, close enough to see the livery of the guards (from the previous post) which is pretty close. the crossroads is near the gates of the first ring so it can be controlled from the battlements.

The reason the keep towers are "in the distance" is because Talantal is bloody huge; it's the London or Paris of the Heartwood - so yes, the towers rise in the distance, because you have to go through *five city rings* to get to them.

Wolf #691002 Thu 31/10/13 11:58 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Was waiting for a few others post before posting again?

Zeim #691005 Thu 31/10/13 12:12 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Hey, I posted lastish, so ...

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
I was waiting on Kelly, who told me she had a post started. However you don't have to wait for her ... conversations are organic things and there were several conversation hooks in my last post - hints and clues of at least three different newsworthy tales.

You can talk where you wish - at the keep, at Mikal's barn.

The barn you may consider a "safe" place. Unless you go looking for folks no one's going to really care if a bunch of vagabonds rest at an abandoned farm.

Wolf #691041 Thu 31/10/13 15:54 UTC
O
Revenant
Revenant
O
We could have a barn meeting to re-set the group's direction

Owain #691052 Thu 31/10/13 17:07 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
I expected we would, Owain. Mikal has some personal business to attend to here, and I expected it would be 2 or 3 rounds of posts to finish that up. Just wanted to let everyone get reactions in before he moved it along. I would think we'd end up with a "barn meeting" afterwards to talk about why we're here.

Zeim #691064 Thu 31/10/13 17:47 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
I too posted with Art & was waiting for others. Away now until Monday.

Gypsy #694127 Wed 13/11/13 20:13 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
If no one else intends to post to the latest thread, let me know and I can post again for Mikal and finish up so Wolf can move us along. Was waiting to let others in.

Zeim #694135 Wed 13/11/13 20:55 UTC
As I tell everyone in any game i'm in. Never wait for me. If I miss a chance to post, it's a case of you "snooze, you lose"

Nivek #694147 Wed 13/11/13 21:28 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Wolf - Also, let me know if you want to post an evening message. My next post would assume it was morning.

Zeim #694163 Wed 13/11/13 23:19 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Well. Kadri isn't about to intrude on his private moment.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Dazi might possibly, perhaps, have said something in a thoughtful and comrade-in-arms sort of way, except Kel has NO TIME TO THINK WORK IS H3LL AND I HATE IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Also, Dazi's in LaLa Land inside my head and obviously isn't the warrior Wolf seems to think she is because when Andi takes up all my thinking power, Dazi just says, "Meh... have fun. Wake me when you're done." You know, instead of saying, "HEY WARRIOR! IT'S MY TURN!"

<shrug>

Kel #694168 Thu 14/11/13 00:11 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Whenever work gets like that for me I resort to the tried and true "management by procrastination". I have found that 90% of emergencies either fix themselves or simply disappear if you pay them no attention.

But I will wait until Wolf prods me to move on. No problem.

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 14/11/13 00:16 UTC.
Page 20 of 58 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 57 58

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Lionhawke
Lionhawke
Seattle, WA, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,821
Posts140,351
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy