Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 15 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 44 of 57 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 56 57
Gypsy #633977 Mon 17/09/12 19:05 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods evenly to Darian. "I have eaten such at need before."

He pauses, then adds. "It is not usually a person's first choice. However there are many, even here in this city, who have less than this to eat. I think if we offer it to the Lady's Temple she might be able to find those who hunger and will bless us for providing it for them."

Zeim #634018 Mon 17/09/12 21:52 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

When the buckets arrive, she uses them to catch the blood and entrails. Putting those aside to dispose of later she begins to carve up the horse flesh. She pauses and looks to her night companion.

"Cesare know butchery?"

ividia #634212 Tue 18/09/12 13:03 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Goats and rabbits mostly but I can scale up."

He grins and moves in closer to lend a hand, his blades easily cutting flesh and rather than damage them, he leaves the harder bits to Darian. He knows enough to target either large chunks of flesh to lesson the weight and preserve for food, or to target the joint areas so that segments on the bone can be removed.

Gypsy #634278 Tue 18/09/12 15:29 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

With the two of them working together, the horse was quickly reduced to it's consumable parts. Consumable meaning anything that could be used for other things including the skin, mane and tail.

She had nothing for the skin but the tanner's could use it and perhaps it would fetch some extra coin. She would only keep part of the tail and see if the rest couldn't be sold as well, though there seemed to be plenty of horse parts to go around. This was not the only animal slain this day.

As it had gotten smaller, they had been able to move it from the well and let the others assist up the elder healer.

Finally the deed was done and she stood and stretched, her hands, forearms and knives bloody.

ividia #634473 Wed 19/09/12 01:04 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

After handing the buckets off to Darian, Daxia returned to Lord Random, taking the elderly man's arm, ostensibly to guide him through the remnants of the battle to Lady Kay's side at the well. She paused, however, as they neared her partner.

"Lord Random, have you ever met one of the immortal unicorns? This is Morning Star, who has most graciously come to spend a small amount of time with me."

She turned to her partner, a corner of her mouth twitching almost to a half-smile. "Morning Star, this is Lord Random, an Eye of Hastur who specializes in people, families, names and the like."

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #634479 Wed 19/09/12 01:16 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri, meanwhile, was still with Romana.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: Thank goodness! Romana is smart... still... keep her away, away, away from the nice man who has a thing for names and the origins thereof. Fortunately, he also appears to have ADD. SHINY UNICORN!]

(Of course, now I'm in the middle of the two of them. Ah well... I have no sanity left. What the heck! Let's see what happens when Dazi gets slap happy, shall we? grin )

Kel #634524 Wed 19/09/12 11:27 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He too is bloodied and tired after they finish butchering the horse. He stretches and smiles at Darian, glad to work is over. He is thinking in terms of a hot meal and a soft bed now.. and maybe a few celebratory drinks.

He is surprised though when Daxia returns with Lord Random and introduces the unicorn. Being busy he had not realises it was still there and before when it appeared he had just assumed that it was a manifectation from a spell.

He studies it more closely now, wondering if it is going to be with them more permanently.

Gypsy #634532 Wed 19/09/12 11:53 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Thinking she remembers that the closest source of water is from the spoiled well. Beyond that, it was the well in town. Then she will have to make do for the time. She lifts one of the entrails filled buckets and heads out to find a proper disposal place away from the well.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Midnight
Hasday, The Twenty-Second Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Kadri, Daxia, Mikal, Cesare, Darian, Longtooth, Bekkah, Dean, Kadri, Romana and Morning Star

"Cloakies ... cloakies ... cloakies CLOAKS!"

Romana looked back to Kadri with wide grateful eyes as she quickly accepted the offered covering. She shrugged it over her shoulders with a dramatic twirl, biding the clasp quickly and snapping up it's hood. Then came the task of stuffing back long white hair, definitely un-lady like in her panic, and it was not until a mere heartbeat before Lord Random opened the tower door that the last tangled whisp was tucked away.

Immediately, Romana moved to hide behind Kadri, placing the Amber lass between her and imperial eyes.

Letting out a long relieved breath, Romana smiled. Smiled until she could not help but tilt her head, the tall slender outlander, looking down upon her much shorter companion.

"Kadri'shkahs are many many things ..."

Romana whispered.

" ... but not very goods for hiding behinds! Muffles! Kadri'shkah needs many many many more muffles!

" ... or stilts ... "

Quickly she pivoted around her friend and so that she was between her and Lord Random, and then turned her back to the Eye, pointing out to the battlefield, as if to direct Kadri's attention there.

"look! Sparklies ..."

"Oh. No sparklies. Look, no sparklies!"

She then wrinkled her nose, eying the battlefield and its carnage.

"Would have been bad without parchments Darian found, yesyesyes?

"Very useful, good warning.

"All afters, however, afters afters afters. Everyone thinks of afters. Has Kadri wondered ... who wrote parchment in the first place?"

While the two conversed, Lady Kay was retrieved from the well. She was quiet when she came up, as when she finally made it out of the well she dusted off her skirts, she stood straight, letting out a long soft breath.

"There are no happy endings ..."

She quietly observed.

" ... because nothing ever ends."

With a shake of her head she gathered up her skirts and immediately headed for her manor; the town's hospice.

"I need to prepare; it will not be long for the wounded to arrive. The worst will come first. RANDOM!"

The Priestess of Aterra turned to the Eye of Hastur.

"You are in charge of breakfast. No if and or buts .... you will sit back and watch but it is going to be a long night for me. I want steak, I want potatoes, I want broccoli and bread and we will have wine."

The Eye of Hastur turned at that, raising a brow. But he had seen the fire in his companion's eyes, having shared this temple top for decades and he thought for a moment and then offered up the one, the only, response possible; the one known to all of his kind; that is the other half of the population, the two simple words spoken so many times since mankind stumbled out of the Shattering; the oldest answer in all of history.

"Yes, dear."

Luckily breakfast was still quite a distance away and it looked like there would be ample meat. Indeed, the work at the well was finishing as he found himself face to face with ...

"Oh my! Oh my indeed! But she's not white ... but ... but she's NOT a she! This is wonderful. I had read about such things, such creatures, but never thought I would see one with my own very eyes!

"Can he talk? Does he understand us? is he person or critter? Is he truly immortal or does he just live a very long time.

"Morning Star? Is that his real name or just what he deigns to let us call him. What is his name in his own tongue? How do immortals keep track of their lineage and genealogy ... I've always wondered about immortal bloodlines. I mean, if they had children and their children and children and their children had children how come we are not swimming in a sea of unicorns?"

Wolf #634722 Wed 19/09/12 18:13 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
<maniacal hysterical cackling and laughter, possibly the occasional drooling>

<So glad I'm already insane... bwahahaha! Eyes! Unicorns! Ha! I laugh at you all and dance the Fandango and trip the Light Fantastic!>

Kel #634726 Wed 19/09/12 18:21 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She gently touched the elder Atteran on the arm as she passed. "Maybe no happy endings, but happy forevers, yah," Daxia said, pointing to the two stars glittering in the Dark Patch.

And then...

Random began his questioning. And continued his questioning. And, finally, appeared to take a break in his questioning.

The Dayalan simply turned to look at her partner.

Wolf #634804 Thu 20/09/12 00:13 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Originally Posted by Wolf
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Midnight

Kadri, Daxia, Mikal, Cesare, Darian, Longtooth, Bekkah, Dean, Kadri, Romana and Morning Star

"Cloakies ... cloakies ... cloakies CLOAKS!"

Romana looked back to Kadri with wide grateful eyes as she quickly accepted the offered covering. She shrugged it over her shoulders with a dramatic twirl, biding the clasp quickly and snapping up it's hood. Then came the task of stuffing back long white hair, definitely un-lady like in her panic, and it was not until a mere heartbeat before Lord Random opened the tower door that the last tangled whisp was tucked away.

Immediately, Romana moved to hide behind Kadri, placing the Amber lass between her and imperial eyes.

Letting out a long relieved breath, Romana smiled. Smiled until she could not help but tilt her head, the tall slender outlander, looking down upon her much shorter companion.

"Kadri'shkahs are many many things ..."

Romana whispered.

" ... but not very goods for hiding behinds! Muffles! Kadri'shkah needs many many many more muffles!

" ... or stilts ... "

Quickly she pivoted around her friend and so that she was between her and Lord Random, and then turned her back to the Eye, pointing out to the battlefield, as if to direct Kadri's attention there.

"look! Sparklies ..."

"Oh. No sparklies. Look, no sparklies!"

She then wrinkled her nose, eying the battlefield and its carnage.

"Would have been bad without parchments Darian found, yesyesyes?

"Very useful, good warning.

"All afters, however, afters afters afters. Everyone thinks of afters. Has Kadri wondered ... who wrote parchment in the first place?"

"It had crossed my mind to be curious ... But at the time, there were many more things to occupy the mind. Now that its done ... Yes I do wonder. Very much so. And I don't need to be taller, you need to be shorter, you giant. I am the perfect size for Kadri, and that will have to be good enough for everyone else."

She winks ... And grins.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Midnight

Daxia, Mikal, Cesare, Darian, Longtooth, Bekkah, Dean, Kadri, Romana and Morning Star

Romana considered Kadri's words very studiously, and then simply nodded, leaning forward to rest her chin on the top of the other woman's head.

"Then Kadris hides behind Romanas, yesyesyes? Ors! Ors! Romanas distract. Romanas probably be very good at distractings, bat bat pretty pretty eyes, make even biggest sworder heart flutters and all swoonishment!"

Her voice dropped to a whisper,

"Think would work on big scary unicorns?"

Meanwhile the big scary unicorn simply looked down upon the rother of Hasture. His expression was calm and sagelike, and he listened to the cleric's questions.

" ... are you truly related to the white unicorns? If you exist then the possibility of their actual existence increases. Are you related to Horses? Who came first, the First Unicorn or the First Horse? How many of you are there, do you like grass, oats or barely? Why are you black ..."

Every now and then, very wisely, the unicorn just nodded.

So of course the Brother continued ...

Wolf #634981 Thu 20/09/12 16:35 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc note: The battle is done, here, the town and the fields. Between light spells and the fires on the temple, you have enough illumination to get back to town if you choose ... that and the torches and light spells of those bringing the wounded to the hospice.

Lady Kay is safe, the horse taken care of, Random distracted ...when you actually head off to your next desires ... is up to you!

Last edited by Wolf; Thu 20/09/12 16:40 UTC.
Wolf #634986 Thu 20/09/12 16:50 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

The muck disposed of, Darian returns the buckets then looks for Cesare. Upon finding him, she says, "Darian need bath, meal, company."

ividia #635020 Thu 20/09/12 17:34 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Once the danger is definitely past, and the horse is no longer threatening to fall into the well, he look over at Daxia as she watches her unicorn... **and where did she get a unicorn from anyway?**, he muses talking with Brother Random.

"I should probably go to the Guildhouse and check in with Mohlkavin and Donner. No need for you to come unless you want to."

Zeim #635100 Thu 20/09/12 23:27 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Seeing that her participation was not needed in the rambling questioning the Eye was giving her partner, she turn to Mikal and shrugged. "I'd like to meet Molkavin, Verchovai Dandy spoke well of him." She glanced back at the unicorn for a heartbeat. "If you don't think it would cause problems..."

The Dayalan's head snapped back to look at Morning Star so quickly that her hair went flying. She stared open-mouthed at the unicorn for a handful of heartbeats before clamping her jaws shut.

"Brighteyes know you talk about him like that?" she asked incredulously.

Putting the heel of one hand against her forehead, she turned back to Mikal.

"You know... problems or no problems with Jvrillians, I think your Brothers will give me less of a headache than unicorn. I'll go with you."

Lord Random was still rattling off question after question after question for Morning Star, so she motioned Kadri and Romana to start down the path back to the town.

With a final glance at the unicorn and a roll of her eyes she followed them.

Kel #635223 Fri 21/09/12 11:13 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

A brighter smile slowly forms on his face. Darian is very direct, not something he is used to but he finds it refreshing. It is so much easier when a woman knows what she wants and can communicate that so clearly.

"Just what I was thinking. Can you reads minds as well..?"

The latter an acknowledgement of her skills as a hunter, which he respects.

"And I expect Longtooth is hungry too?"

He glances at the dog with a fond smile. In many ways he had not expected all of them to survive the night. The odds had seemed too great. But they had and he is beginning to realise it, feeling a desire to celebrate.

"let's head back to the inn then, hopefully they'll let us in through the gate. Anyone else coming?"

Gypsy #635937 Mon 24/09/12 00:41 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Somewhere deep between Midnight and Dawn
Attaday, The Twenty-Third Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Daxia, Mikal, Cesare, Darian, Longtooth, Bekkah, Dean, Kadri, Romana and Morning Star

" ... actually, are you even born? Or, being immortal, have you just always been in the world, the sum total of possible unicorns being a constant, like when water boils or when it gets cold enough to freeze ..."

The black unicorn looked wise, attentive, and simply nodded his head.

Until it blinked, looked around, only to see that atop the temple ruins there was just him and a Bother. Erm. Brother. The others making good an escape down the worn midnight trail.

With a snort and a shake of his head and a tossle of his mane he gathered himself, started with a jump over the well and then a lazy canter until he could nose his way through the departing cadre and walk at Daxia's shoulder.

He looked at her and just snorted. Mortals.

It was a slower trip down; even with the light of both moons and that of common magics, the way was still a touch treacherous; cast in all sorts of shadows and shades of gray. About halfway down they heard the first of the horns call out; drifting on the breeze from the east, from the battlefield. The calls to regroup and return ... a call and reply between the scattered pieces of Mohlkavin's Horse and the tower walls.

At the base of the temple they met the first of those heading up to the Hospice; bearing town, Donner's and Mohkavin's colors. Some walked, some were helped, a few wer drawn upon make shift travois behind a horse. Besides a worn greeting, the nod of acknowledgement between those who shared a battle, there was little else; both groups had a place where they needed to be and this was not the place for idle trailside chatter.

"Hooooi! Step into the light and give us a name ..."

That was the call from the top of the gatehouse; a simple act of recognition before the gates were thrown open to let them inside.

The guards looked tired, perhaps a bit worn, and yet not a word of that manner of complaint.they knew there would be no one to take over their watch this night and they would not just be here for the dawn, but well past - until those whose steel had been tested had not only returned; but they had returned, rested, had their hero's breakfast in the guild hall and Taverns ... and then, only then, their normal watches once again taken up.

"Blackened blade ... was that a ...

"Chaos riders, Marin's Red Scarf, that bloody monstrous demon, the stone hill afire and you are surprised by anything tonight?

"But what should we do ...

"Nothing. Fine, almost nothing. When they leave we charge a crown a leg and head .... and horn!"

Inside the gates the town was mostly silent.

But that was to be expected; not only was much of the population outside the walls; having left the previous day, but even if they had been here it still would have been silent, dark and empty. Most folks would be, should be, asleep and those who weren't that was there prime consideration. Indeed, while there was activity at the Jvrillian Guildhouse it was all of a singular nature.

" ... Gaaaaaa. I don't want to see the inside of a helm again until Wolf, a handful of years from now.

" ... let me lie here for a bit. If I'm still here come morning then dump a cold bucket of water on me and not until ..... ARGH! I SAID NOT UNTIL MORNING!"

" ... Donner? He was at the .... "

Mikal's question was the one that brought a moment of silence. Long silence, the mercenarie's expression unreadable; except for a pensive, awkward, hesitant and silent admission that something had happened, something darker than black ... but he wasn't one of the ones there.

"You'll want Daffyd Stoneshield; I'd try after the noon meal.

" ... Mohlkavin, we won't know until morning. They'll be holding the fields until dawn, and then later until Garrick can send out a picket to make sure those who retreated back into the woods decide that they should stay in the woods."

Which just left the Dragonstooth.

The tavern stood, safe in the center of the town.

And their rooms.

There was a young man behind the bar; and stablehands to take their horses. One barmaid worked the tables; though the only light in the room came from the heart. They were their for those who didn't stumble directly to their rest. The one, the two, the three ... a handful at most, who nursed a bite of yesterday's bread, who were trying to forget something beneath the bite of a dark ale or had already fallen asleep, head upon arms crossed, their bowl of stew cooling beside them.

"Now that's something you don't see every day ..."

The stable hand looked between Dayalan and partner.

" ... uhm ... hay? Water? Oats, barley ... sugar ... apples ..."

The unicorns attention was suddenly snared.

" ... apples! This way ... this way ..."

When they worked along the balcony, each to their own room - at least those who did not decide to tarry at the commons - found them waiting; beds made, a pitcher of water on the nightstand, a piece of bread set on a little wooden plate.

Which were treated obliviously by Romana.

She simply walked in, cloak and all, and flounced face first onto her bed, slowly, so slowly sinking into the goose down.

She didn't even bother to close her door.

ooc note: The problem with a battle after dark is that when its over, everyone in town is asleep and everyone who isn't asleep wants to be.

Your next posts should give your actions for the next day; and perhaps farther. remember, the Midwinter's holiday is but two days away!

Wolf #635942 Mon 24/09/12 01:00 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri ... Soon herself sinks into bed, after seeing to lisica.

The next day - she is attempting to see if there is any lead towards tracking the origination of that message.

Bekkah

"I will remain with Lady Kay. Even with two of us, it will be a long night. I will sleep tomorrow evening. I have not fought, nor was I stuck in a well. My work only begins now." she said as she turned to join Lady Kay as she returned to the hospice.

And before squire Dean could follow her, she turned looking at him and pointed to the town.

"Get you sleep like the others." she said in a commanding tone that offered no chance for argument.

Last edited by Nivek; Mon 24/09/12 11:18 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Despite being dog tired, he still manages to eat and drink at least a good portion of his ale. He used a lot of energy during the day carrying stones and his body need to recharge. Then it is more of a stumble into bed, offering no more than an arm of comfort for Darian before he falls into a dead sleep.

By morning, he cannot remember what he had eaten the night before. Certainly the day is well established before he opens his eyes. Given the various aches in his arms. legs and back, he is not quick to rise and greet the morning, grateful though he is that he, Darian, Longtooth and the others are here to see it.

His intentions over the next couple of days is to spend time with Darian, and to move around the town talking to people. Interested to hear what others are saying about what happened, filling in gaps in his knowledge of what had occurred. He also wants to know if they are being talked about, what is being said and whether that could cause complications for them. He also wants to know if any Rhoni have been around recently and which way they headed out.

Gypsy #636052 Mon 24/09/12 14:45 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Come morning her first order of business is cleanliness. She had removed the blood from her hands the horse butchering the night before, but there is more to be done. She is not after a long soak but a good scrubbing of both herself and her clothing and the treating of her leathers. Breakfast was garnered and she set about doing just that.

Half the day passed before she was done and turned her attention to the arrows. Many new shafts were needed for the arrows to be remade. She thought that there might not be many in town to be had, considering. A trek outside the walls might be needed.

Would the Rhoni care to accompany her? She asked in her own chopped conversation style.

ividia #636423 Tue 25/09/12 12:05 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He is happy to spend some time with Darian and with Longtooth, enjoying walks, hunts, foraging or in this case scavenging. And providing she is agreeable he would share the bathing, helping with back scrubbing duties.

Page 44 of 57 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 56 57

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
KenSeg
KenSeg
Jensen Beach, Florida
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,470
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy