Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Vryx, Mina), 33 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 57 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 56 57
#596828 Tue 17/04/12 16:20 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime after Sunset
Rameday, The Twenty-First Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Daxia, Kadri, Romana ... and a well.

Kadri grew quiet, concentrating and still staring off into the distance.

"A carved opening around the shaft - beyond. .. "

A pause, as if looking around.

"Beyond that, a large room, In the ceiling, the well shaft has runes carved around it - in the floor a matching circle. Almost like a boat pier, there is a long slab of black marble going out into the well. THe. . slab has carvings in it. . a dagger - a sword."

There is a long, long pause.

"Dazi, the floor is stained - dark stains. Running from everywhere in the room ... and into the well."

ooc note: repost

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 18/04/12 16:08 UTC.
Wolf #597246 Wed 18/04/12 16:29 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Kadri and Romana at the Well

"The main hall of the Temple," Daxia whispered. "Blood? Defending the heart of the Temple, or herded there?" she mused. "To stain so much of such a large room, there were..." She broke off, unable to speak past the raw emotions choking her voice. Long moments full of breaths... at first, rapid and shallow, then slowing and becoming deeper, more calming.

"Kadri, the marble slab... that does not belong there. Are the carvings of a sword and dagger? Or something else, and there is a sword and dagger there, as well?"

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
#597253 Wed 18/04/12 16:42 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Nightime

Back to the Inn - Darian, Longtooth, Cesare, Mikal, Bekkah and Celi

The two moons were already high in the sky and their three companions were still somewhere else than the Dragonstooth Tavern.

For those remaining, it had been a quiet evening; a good meal of beef and winter potatos, topped off by a liquor of choise - Amber beer, fine Talantal wine or a cup of Kavass - cold or warm.

For hurt folk the Jvrillians had been well behaved; then again it was pragmatic, causing trouble to their healer would not hasten their recovery. However, there may also have been a more pertinent reason lurking in the background.

"Hush up Rolf. Last bloke who back talked Lady Kay ended up wrapped head to toe in bandages for a month."

Celi was the only one to get a suspicious look, at the mention of horses and such.

" ... it's fine. I'll wait for the Lady."

Obviously more comfortable with someone with experience with people over critters.

For Darian and Cesare - and Longtooth, it was an easy companionable evening once they had escaped the ravings of the blue stained axeman. He did haunt them, however, in the conversations that followed, him being the focus of the evening conversations.

" ... when did Shattersword get back into town?"

" ... what do you mean he's not dead yet?"

" ... this morning I hear, having ridden his horse into the ground, the poor thing."

" ... do you think he's right, that they are close by, that he can really smell them?"

" ... I don't know how, all things considered. I mean how can he smell anything, he's worse than a merebeast that spooked a family of skunks ..."

Mikal indeed found the Sword Priest unavailable. The Blacksmith, however, was in the forge. He was not working but supervising. Supervising his apprentices as they straightened up the smithy for the night.

" ... every tool has its place, bank the fire so we don't loose the coals come moarning, and sweep the slag and dust out to the ...

" ... ah ... you are back.

"And a long blade for a short blade."

The big man considered that with an odd smile.

"Gutsy. Means close in work. When you fight a man, you should be close enough to look him right in the eyes.

"I'd say I could get it done for Midwinters, but the last thing you want is a sword finished on a day when everyone is drunk. Two days after Midwinters, and you'll have your sword."

By the time the moons had indeed rose and it became apparent that Daxia, Kadri and Romana had remained atop the ruins the commons room was mostly empty.

A few tables were occupied, a small cluster of townsfolk.

And Camelia.

She sat, alone, near the fire.

The others gave her a wide berth, and sometimes an odd look.

The young Koromov shuffled a deck of pasteboard cards. She would lay out three cards, look at them and then gather them back and shuffle the deck again. Shuffle, deal, shuffle cut, deal, shuffle, cut and deal.

Yet no matter how many times she mixed her small deck ...

... every time she laid out her three cards they were always the same.

A grey ring.

A stylistic horse.

And a multi-coloured wheel.

Wolf #597256 Wed 18/04/12 16:47 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri, at the well:

". . not much more that I can. .see. Can't move it around, can just see what I am looking at."

She sounded. . disturbed. And there was that same tight building anger in her voice that Daxia had heard way back at the inn that night after she had been threatened. If she was a more imposing figure, it might have sounded like a gathering storm; but as it was, it just sounded like Kadri, angry.

Bekkah with the others at the inn

Every time someone entered the inn, she looked towards the door hoping to see Daxia.

"Celi, are you sure she didn't say they were going to stay the night with Lady Kay?" she already knew the answer and it annoyed her to no end.

"She vexes me sometimes. Always so willful as a child also. And she dares to lecture me about safety after dark, yet does the very same. Who would harm one of my order, nobody that's who. But her. There are any number of threats who might harm her."

She was beginning to wonder if she should not go looking for them, yet she hoped they'd walk through the door any moment.

Nivek #597278 Wed 18/04/12 17:50 UTC
M
M
Squire Dean

Dean has been carefully, if casually, following Lady Bekkah all day but is happy to be back at the Inn. Lady Bekkah is amazing! Dean can't help but be impressed with this woman's poise and grace and her abilities. Her skills in healing, her skills with people are a marvel to watch. It is no wonder Knight Kevin instructed him to find and protect her. The Lady is a treasure! To maintain the proper distance to as fine a personage as she, Dean hangs back, grabs a cool drink from the Innkeeper and maintains his watch.

Mokie #597284 Wed 18/04/12 17:57 UTC
[ooc: no no no, can't have that]
Bekkah

"Squire Dean, you watch me as if getting too close might break me. Please join us. Have an ale or two and tell me of your Knight Kevin and this errand you are on. That is an order and if you refuse then I shall ask for music and I will force you to dance with me so that you can tell me your tale." she said eyes full of mischief.

Nivek #597291 Wed 18/04/12 18:10 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

"So we must go see for ourselves," said the Dayalan.

She reached out a hand and let it fall lightly and softly on her friend's shoulder.

"Peace, Kadri," Daxia said quietly. "Whatever happened, it was long ago. There is nothing we can do about it now," she said as much to herself as to Kadri, "except try to right the wrong that was done here. We can spend our energy on anger and mourning later, yes?"

Nivek #597307 Wed 18/04/12 18:41 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He grunts agreement with the smith. "Dangerous, yes. But many do not like to get so close. They get no leverage on their sword cuts."

He does not mention that most of those he fights need killing. His contracts aren't often just for the sake of money. Fighting up close lets him see their pupils dilate at the moment they realize they are dead and that they are paying for their actions. Justice, while not a typical motivation for a New Jvrillian, is for Mikal. Being up close lets him see their souls flee their bodies through their widened eyes.

He doesn't speak that out loud, though, because the last time he did that an entire village moved to the other side of the inn whenever he appeared.

He considers the man's timetable, and ultimately nods. He has little choice anyway. It will also give him time to talk to the Swordpriest about enspelling it. (OOC - Wolf - How many days is that?)

Finally returning to the inn, he sits with the others having an ale. After time goes by and Daxia and the others do not return, he grows slightly concerned. When dinner arrives and he completes his meal, and still no Daxia, Kadri, or Romana, his concern grows. They did go to visit an Eye of Hastur, with an Easterner in tow. Who knows what could have happened?

He really does not want to go anywhere near the man, but he is obligated by his contract to keep Daxia's safety in mind. So, after the dinner plates are put away, and he has an after dinner ale, and still they have not returned, he stands up and says to Bekkah, Dean, Darian, and Cesare, "Pardon me. I am going to go for a walk. Don't wait up." He grins at Darian and Cesare.

He grabs his gear and steps outside, turning towards the gate.

Last edited by Zeim; Wed 18/04/12 18:44 UTC.
Kel #597308 Wed 18/04/12 18:41 UTC
M
M
Squire Dean

Dean's eyes pop wide, he stiffens, and the bench he was so recently relaxing into nearly topples over. While attempting to straighten the bench, his arm hits the mug he was sipping out of and it topples. He grabs at the wooden vessel, knocking it off the table onto the floor. Regretting the loss of good drink more than anything else, he dives for the cup and his leg kicks over the bench. Now entangled in the bench and half under the table he grabs the cup. Straightening quickly he hits his head on the side of the table and goes straight to the floor.

Briskly rubbing the top of his head, he looks up with a wry smile and says "You truly want to dance, Lady Bekkah?"

Mokie #597337 Wed 18/04/12 20:39 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi leaned closer to Bekkah and whispered for her ears alone.

"I can have my friend try to watch o'er your sister, if you wish it, Mistress. They would na' even know he is there, unless some intervention is required. Just give the word, and I will do my best to make it so. Just ... one friend, helping another."

Kel #597475 Thu 19/04/12 03:39 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Originally Posted by Kel
Daxia

"So we must go see for ourselves," said the Dayalan.

She reached out a hand and let it fall lightly and softly on her friend's shoulder.

"Peace, Kadri," Daxia said quietly. "Whatever happened, it was long ago. There is nothing we can do about it now," she said as much to herself as to Kadri, "except try to right the wrong that was done here. We can spend our energy on anger and mourning later, yes?"

"They view people as THINGS. The Hunter at least has respect for the hunted. This ..."

She shakes her head her eyes refocusing.

" ... is disgusting."

She holds up a hand.

"I know, Dazi. I know."

SHe looks over, and tilts her head.

"I just am annoyed that I am unable to embarrass these ... people."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia simply nodded. "I understand. I feel..." She paused, taking a deep breath. "I feel grief and rage for something that happened so many fullhands of years ago, and it is not reasonable or rational to do so." She tried to smile, though all she could manage was a slight twitching of her lips.

"I told both Lady Kay and Lord Random I would do my best to purify the well. Let's focus on that," she said. "If we feel the need for raging and grieving later, then we will give ourselves that time. Later."

Looking over the edge of the well, focusing near the spot where her starlight illuminated the main Temple hall that Kadri had seen, she thought maybe she could see the slab of marble her friend had described. Picking up the end of the rope, she looped it around her waist several times, and gathered the slack so she could play it out as she descended, then sat on the edge of the well.

As she swung her legs over the side, she looked between Romana and Kadri, then nodded firmly. "I will tug the rope so you know when to pull it up. Follow as quickly as you feel safe." Then she turned and began lowering herself down towards the heart of the ancient Temple.

Kel #597501 Thu 19/04/12 11:41 UTC
Bekkah at the inn

She leaned in close to whisper to Celi.

"I do not fully understand the nature of your friend and how he can remain unseen, but if you can at least have him check to see if she is okay and perhaps watch over Mikal, who I suspect is also going to look on them, then I would feel better. But if there is even the slightest chance that she will know she is being watched, then we'll let Mikal check on her. She would not be pleased with either of us if your friend was spotted. Do not take chances here Celi. She could be in trouble, but she is not alone. If your friend is seen, we could all be in trouble."

She then turned her attention back to the poor squire. Her words seemed to completely undo the poor young squire's composure, but to her credit she did not laugh at his misfortune. She did wonder if this would end in disaster, but she was tired of being treated like a painting on a wall. The Dragonstooth minstrel had begun to play and the tune was more than suitable for dance.

"Yes, squire Dean. I wish to dance. I am told that squires are taught to dance, are they not?" she said standing and moving towards him.

Nivek #597523 Thu 19/04/12 12:27 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Sitting with Darian, he is enjoying the camerarderie of their small group though he is aware of both Camelia sitting off to one side and that some of their number are not yet back. As Mikal stands and comments to him and Darian, he understans what the man is saying.

"You sure? If you want some company..? And remember about Romana.."

He is willing to go too, though he does have other things he would rather be doing. He smiles at Darian.

"You'll let us know..?"

He is fairly sure that most of their number will rest much easier if they know the others are fine.

Gypsy #597561 Thu 19/04/12 14:49 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She looks down to the ruff sprawled at her feet. "Longtooth like stretch legs? Walk with Mikal?"

She did not fancy him going beyond the gates on his own whether he knew the area or not.

ividia #597567 Thu 19/04/12 15:19 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He grunts. "You two are as bad as mother not wanting me to take the wagon to town on midwinters alone. I have managed to look after myself for some time you know." He says with mock annoyance.

He pauses. "No need for everyone to troop along when it is more likely Daxia sucked Kadri into some exotic Dayallan rite, or the three of them lost track of time arguiing about Easterner philisophy, than it is they ran into trouble with the Eye of Hastur. I half expect to find them sitting in a circle holding hands and chanting. However, if Longtooth wants to tag along, that should be fine. He may not be able to get back in on his own, though. The Gate will be locked."

Zeim #597573 Thu 19/04/12 15:31 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Her brow wrinkled in puzzlement. "He come back when Mikal come back."

ividia #597576 Thu 19/04/12 15:42 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"I had meant, should anything happen to me, he will be unable to get back in on his own."

Zeim #597613 Thu 19/04/12 17:49 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
CELI

"As you say, Mistress," Celi whispered, then straightened.

Her thoughts belled outward to Stormrunner. If you can do this without revealing yourself to anyone, watch over my friends. Better to not be seen, unless you must to save a life.

She sent images of Daxia, Kadri and Romana, then Mikal; and included a cautionary word about Darian and the hound, who might be with Mikal. Have a caution with the hunter and her hound. He is her beloved companion. There is no accounting for taste, I know. Still, please do not eat them.

#597647 Thu 19/04/12 18:46 UTC
M
M
Dean

Dean is not afraid of taking a turn to a tune. Hasn't he danced with many a girl in Talesan's Village? At every celebration he would dance with any number of the fishmaidens from the docks or girls from other farms. They all seemed to think he was an ok dancer. He never had to look far for a partner. He can do this. But she was the Lady Bekkah. She is obviously not like any of his sisters, who he danced with late into the evening when he was still living at home. They had swung each other around until they ended up on the floor, laughing to tears. And he cannot dance in an inn with the Lady in the formal manner taught to him by Brother Perrin. It was always difficult to keep a straight face while he taught them the ritual steps, after all, somebody had to play the part of the woman and the robes Brother Perrin wore were kind of like a long dress.

Smiling at the memory, Dean picks himself up, brushing off the dust from the floor, takes a deep breath, and lightly grasps Lady Bekkah around the waist.

The music is light and fun, perfect for dancing. The mood in the inn is happy and upbeat. Dean begins to think that this couldn't be so bad. Kind of like dancing with his Mater. This will be fun! The song being played is familiar to him. Not exactly the same as what he has heard at home, but the rhythm is good for dancing. Dean fixes the music in his mind and envisions himself whirling his partner around. He looks into the Lady Bekkah's face with a weak grin, and firmly steps down on her foot.

Mokie #597682 Thu 19/04/12 19:27 UTC
Bekkah

She was actually surprised when he didn't pass out on the spot. He seemed to be holding his composure nicely. She was further surprised when he actually placed a hand on her slender waist and took her hand in his other hand. She wasn't going to lead so she waited for him to catch the start of the next beat and they'd be off. She was smiling when he looked up into her big blue eyes, then he started to move and came down hard on her foot. She should have expected it, she should have been ready to step back immediately, but he'd actually seemed confident. She'd already placed her other foot to move in a circle and was about to lift the one that was now firmly planted beneath his foot. She immediately lost her balance and pitched forward directly into him. He'd have to move quickly to catch his balance and catch her or they were going down to the floor together. In either case, he could feel her soft body pressed up tight against him.

Nivek #597694 Thu 19/04/12 19:57 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime after Sunset

At the Dragonstooth with Fred and Ginger

There is a comment from the tables, a sharp whisper from one of the gruff townsfolks. That and a whap. The whap was from a grizzled man with large hands and a ruddy skin betraying years spent out doors. Definitely a farmer.

The target was his son, younger, no more than eighteen or so seasons. The specific target was the back of the lads head.

"Watch ye burke ... watch and learn ...

"THAT'S how ye get a wife."

Last edited by Wolf; Thu 19/04/12 20:20 UTC.
Wolf #597701 Thu 19/04/12 20:09 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Nightime
Rameday, The Twenty-First Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 262

Daxia, Kadri, Romana and well, the well.

The climb down was long, and perilous only to the point that the well was finely crafted; the walls smooth and clean with barely a joint between each ring of stone.

Eventually, however, the Dayalan is able to make it to the room's floor.

It is a Dayalan temple room; and like the temple in Dawnview Vale large enough so her light does not reach the far wall. There is a slight breeze, perhaps of some other, unseen, passage out and there still are odd, almost feral, sound drifting upon it - but much more soft; definitely a distance down the unseen corridors.

The staining of the floor is in several shades of dark, dark brown; but it is an old stain, perhaps even ancient. A remnant, perhaps, of something fel happening almost an age ago.

Of the small altar, it is not large, perhaps the size of a bench; a Kadri in length and about a quarter wide. It reaches out into the well, but not that much; perhaps only a third of its length.

Carefully carven into its black surface is the shape of a dagger and that of a sword.

A very familiar shape; and perhaps a bit too well known. For it is only after a long bit of consideration that Daxia realizes ...

...if she were to set her sword in that hollow, it would fit perfectly.

Wolf #597711 Thu 19/04/12 21:11 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

As the rope tugs from below, Kadri helps Romana 'rope up' and start on the way down.

(Rope Tug posted with permission of Kel)

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Fri 20/04/12 01:53 UTC.
Page 14 of 57 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 56 57

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Phoenix Prime
Member Spotlight
nem
nem
GMT 0
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,820
Posts140,238
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy