Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 42 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 35 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 34 35
ividia #567381 Sun 13/11/11 20:14 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Wolf - Let me know if any of the other Horde members at our table wish to interject or introduce themselves, or if we managed to get a table to ourselves. I had assumed it was too crowded for that.)

Mikal - with Celi and then Darian and Longtooth joining

He listens, with clear interest. Unblinking emerald green eyes drinking in what Celi is saying, nodding every now and then.

"My sympathy on your loss." He says with sincerity. "My own tale is not much different, though 'twas the Montague who took my Father and Uncle, leaving my mother, sister, and I to manage the land. They died trying and I could not do it alone. I was lucky to fall in with a Cavalry Troop who took me in and trained me."

He spoons more stew, considering, as Celi goes on.

"My mother always told me not to fear silence. She said that most people abhor it and will often fill it by speaking things they'd not have otherwise revealed. I have learned things more than once just by sitting quietly."

He nods as Celi lists her abilities and notes she is a hard worker.

"Hard work is good for the soul, not just the coin purse."

As she finishes by asking him if he needs a squire he laughs, then waves his hand to make sure she knows he is not laughing at her.

"Sorry." He chuckles. "I am as far from a Knight as you might find. I am not the pampered son of some noble dandy who can afford to ride a destrier that costs more than I could make in a lifetime and wears enough metal plate to furnish a company of men with good swords. I work for a living. I take care of Tal and my equipment with my own hands."

"Not that I think you couldn't do a good job at it, but I don't want to put on 'airs'. Keeping these things myself makes sure I know every link and pin. Every leather knot. Knowing where there may be a weak ring in my mail stops me from letting a blow hit me there. Knowing Tal and her habits lets me know I can trust her, and she can trust me. I'd not put that off, e'en I could afford to. My life depends on it."

"Now, if I find you can hold your own, I'd not be opposed to your tagging along were I to find work here. But you'd have to be paid for what you do. Either in coin, or training. Since I really don't need anyone to fetch for me, or to care for my equipment, what else can you do?"

"You said you could hunt. I don't suppose you know how to cook too?" This is said with a hopeful tone.

"As for protecting my back, well, we'll have to see about that. I am a bit choosy where my back is concerned. If things work out I'll have to see what you can do in that regard. But tomorrow. Tonight is for rest."

As Darian and Longtooth arrive, he smiles at them.
"Have a seat, Darian. Longtooth. I saw you speak to the innkeeper. Does he have rooms available?"

Zeim #567385 Sun 13/11/11 20:31 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Darian arrived just as Mikal made his comment to Celi about hunting and cooking. An eyebrow arched wondering what outlandish claims the girl had made this time. Perhaps she knew how to set traps. That took no great skill, but true hunting was the purview of her people.

"Seems they may," she replied. "We prefer a spot down here by the fire. His fur will dry better that way."

ividia #567391 Sun 13/11/11 21:23 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Darian, Longtooth, and Celi

"Well, much as I'd like a bed, I'm not in the mood to share it, and with this crowd that seems likely. I'll talk to the innkeeper myself and if we're doubling up I might grab my bedroll and join you down here."

Zeim #567393 Sun 13/11/11 21:34 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She flashed a wry grin. "Consi'ering I don' know any one else 'cept you and Longtooth, I'd not mind the company."

She took a spoonfull of stew and chewed thoughtfully. "Sides, I'm looking to trade the hide and pelts I 'ave. There's a merchant barn I'll check in the morn, an' if he can't help, I'll head down to the tanners."

"Wit' the winter coming hard, you lookin' to shelter here through the season?"

Zeim #567396 Sun 13/11/11 21:45 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N

"Better here for me, as well," Celi said. "I am even more soaked than Longtooth. But if the innkeeper will na' allow it, I would be perfectly happy to stay in the stable. I could even keep an eye on Talia, if you would allow it. Nothing untoward, mind you; I would just make sure she isn't disturbed, and should anything of bad fortune occur such as a fire, I would see her free of danger and inform you. Perhaps yon innkeeper would even give me a discount for such accommodations."

#567411 Sun 13/11/11 22:39 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Celi and Darian

"Yes." He nods his head towards Darian. "Or at least that was the half-baked plan I'd come up with one night on the road when I was too tired to be thinking straight. Hoped to find some sort of guard duty to carry my purse through til spring." He shrugs. "Now, since apparently the Gate Guard knew me, perhaps I might get a good word for it."

He looks back over to Celi. "While I appreciate the offer to keep an eye on Tal, I'm not too sure the stable-boy would like that. With how crowded the stalls were there were no empties and most stable-hands don't like people they don't know in with the horses. Good as you might be, it's his job to lose if you spook the mounts. But you can always ask."

He nods towards the fire. "Don't mind if you curl up down here with us. Only downside is you're last to sleep and first to wake down here." He adds, referring to the fact that until all the patrons leave for bed it'd be hard to get to sleep, and as soon as the first ones come down in the morning you'll be woken.

Camelia

So many questions. She felt uncomfortable sharing her life, for as mundane as she once thought it to be, with strangers. They claim kinship with strings of names that proclaim an ancestry, all of them about her, including Cesare. At least she thinks that was the name he said at the first of his string before she got lost in all the Kha's that came after. She was a schooled listener and a careful study of people. She had to be given where she lived.

And that was exactly what Dandelion wanted to know.

It was still hard to think upon the fact that she had not one sister but two. One was considered notorious. Though it seemed the other carried a rather storied reputation in these parts as well. But Erika Koromov, a name considered anathema and traitorous where she was from. But not for any reason or understanding that Camelia could cite. it was just that way, and those who kept wise counsel accepted it and those who took cue from their elders and peers accepted what they accepted. Camelia only knew of this woman's fearsome reputation and ability to survive the machinations against, still hold position and a titular duty among the Imperials.

So many questions.

"I suppose it was the one place the Veilikki would not think to look... I live in the Imperial Palace," she admitted openly.

Zeim #567418 Sun 13/11/11 22:58 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare (Ches-ar-ay} with Daxia, Cami and the Captain

He is smiling, nodding his agreement. The Fates will have their way. About to reply, the Captain then starts to talk at length with her new sister but a name in that conversation sings in his ears and refocuses his attention back directly on the two women.

For a few moments he is still, silent, an image he has not thought of in years leaping into his mind as a shiver runs down his back.

It cannot be.

He stares at Cami with an intensity that anyone might find uncomfortable, trying to superimpose one image on another, his head shaking slowly in denial as his mind refuses to take it in but in his soul he feels the icy fingers of the Fates as they toss him in the air. He can only hope for a soft landing.

Last edited by Gypsy; Sun 13/11/11 22:59 UTC.
Zeim #567431 Mon 14/11/11 00:43 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian with Mikal and Celi

"When ye go to speak wit' that guard, might I join ye?" she asked Mikal. "Good to get to know who might be there. Thinkin' we may be passing through the gate often."

ividia #567463 Mon 14/11/11 03:10 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Camelia, Cesare and Dandelion

She first looked at Camelia, when she commented about the exchange she'd been having with the other Dayalan. Both eyebrows raised in manner that clearly said she thought Camelia was rather nervy, as opposed to a look of surprise. She heard the woman's words, but they did not resonate with anything she had yet observed. Then there was a brief glance, and a flash of interest in her eyes, when Cesare rattled off his name... his lineage.

And finally her gaze settled back on Dandelion. She waited through the remainder of the conversation, filing away the various bits of information and setting them aside for further study later, especially Cesare's sudden discomforture as one of the many names was mentioned.

In a moment of silence, and only because she thought Dandelion had the right to know, she spoke in a voice barely above a whisper, though her eyes never left the older woman's face. "Not likely Verchovai Kassia throw things at you again. Probably will join our sisters," she said with a flicker of her eyes skyward before looking the older Dayalan in the eyes again. "A season, perhaps two, she said." She lifted her chin, refusing to allow these strangers to see the mixed and very deep emotions she felt with these words. "Last of many gifts Kassia gave me is this," Daxia said, resting her hand lightly on the pommel of her sword, "her sword." She paused for the space of several heartbeats. "Only one question. For now. Where is town well? Wish to... give proper respect to our Lady in morning."

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Comfrey with alliterative Kadri and Conrad>

She'd head where indicated and look to Conrad. "Do you think they will find much in their inspection?" She figured he'd know more about how the watch worked.

If one of the others hadn't, she'd look for a server to signal for some food and drink. They should probably speak of places to sleep here as well.

Kel #567466 Mon 14/11/11 03:57 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi nodded, expressionless. She was used to disappointment. True, it was frustrating when the world refused to bow to your simplest plans; but you couldn't let it occupy your mind, and continuing to complain never seemed to change the world's mind. She was also learning to add "spending money you don't want to", to the disappointment list.

"With your kind permission, I will stay here with you. And thank you." Her gear-roll would make a satisfactory pillow, and the fire's fingers of warmth were already working on drying her clothing. She suppressed a hint of jealousy for Darian's relationship with Longtooth; that would be a warm snuggle. She thought about Stormrunner, and felt a longing she had been suppressing pretty well until right now.

Keep busy. Find things to occupy your mind.

She had an exercise regimen: Dances that reiterated training. They fully engaged the mind, as well as the body. But ... they were best done alone in the forest.

She sighed. She would just watch and emulate. And try not to do anything silly.

#567496 Mon 14/11/11 13:22 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

"It is doubtful. Unless the man was important and well known, the town watch will simply file a report, ask a few questions and move on. Unfortunately such things are not as uncommon as they should be." he said with a sigh.

The tall squire motioned to the innkeeper.

#567499 Mon 14/11/11 13:29 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare with Daxia, Cami and Captain by fire

There seems to be a lull in the conversation after Cami declares she lives in the Imperial Palace. Now that tale alone is worth hearing on its own merits but he has a more pressing question that he cannot contain any longer.

Forcing his intense gaze from Cami he look back to the Captain.

"I have a memory, an image, from a long time ago, early in my life. I was a young child at the time. But the vision is sharp because it is the last time I saw my father. Something forced my parents to take different roads, my father leaving with a white haired girl child."

His direct blue eyes slip sideways to look at Cami again.

"His name was Yoska..."

There is a huge question in his voice, a contained intensity in his stance, even sitting the tension is evident.

KenSeg #567509 Mon 14/11/11 14:01 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Originally Posted by KenSeg
Conrad

"It is doubtful. Unless the man was important and well known, the town watch will simply file a report, ask a few questions and move on. Unfortunately such things are not as uncommon as they should be." he said with a sigh.

The tall squire motioned to the innkeeper.

She pauses. . but decides not to bring up the key with Conrad. He might insist it should go straight to the guard. . where, in this case, she felt that perhaps she was. . more qualified. She needed to have a talk with her employer. . .

"If they are available, take the rooms on the right, They stay warmer."

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Comfrey with Kadri and Conrad>

She nodded absently, a bit lost in reflection as she took in the place and the gathered folk.

"Interesting," she murmured and in a louder tone looked back to her companions. To Kadri she queried, "What else can you tell me of this place and folk, you've spent a great deal of time here it seems." To Conrad she asked, "What else should I know of this town?"

Her curiosity was evident in her tone and tilt of her head.

#567537 Mon 14/11/11 15:40 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Darian and Celi

"Sure", he nods. "I will introduce you as traveling companions so he knows your faces." He says, including Celi in the statement.

"You will understand that I cannot vouchsafe for you at this time? Perhaps after we spend enough time together?" He adds seriously.

Mikal's word is his bond, and he doesn't pass it out lightly.

Zeim #567541 Mon 14/11/11 15:54 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Dairan with Mikal and Celi

"The introduction is more than enough," Darian told him with a grin. "The rest I will do myself. I don't recall anyone ever turning down a chance at fresh meat."

ividia #567550 Mon 14/11/11 17:32 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc - Conrad, a quick note; can you post what you will say to the innkeeper once you get his attention?

Wolf #567559 Mon 14/11/11 18:45 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

Once he had the innkeeper's attention, he motioned to Comfrey.

"I wish to inquire if there might be two rooms that I can engage for the night. We will also need dinner and a flagon of wine?" he asked, glancing at his two companions.

KenSeg #567576 Mon 14/11/11 19:21 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi was quite amenable. "All I ask, is if I make a mistake, correct me straightaway so I may learn proper comportment. I am too used to being alone.

"You had asked if I could cook. The answer is ... some, if it involves making fire and roasting the food over it, or throwing everything into a camp pot and making a soup or stew. Anything more aggressive than that is over my head. But I can find edible plants, insects, eggs, small animals ... you won't starve if I am with you. You may curse my name after some of the meals, but you won't starve."

#567584 Mon 14/11/11 21:05 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Darian and Celi

"If it doesn't crunch when you eat it when it is not supposed to, nor leave blackened char on your clothes, then it will be an improvement over my own. To be honest, I've taken to eating jerked meat on the trail as it tastes better than what I usually burn."

"As for the rest, let us see how things go." He glances meaningfully to the table where Caemlia, Cesare, Daxia, and the Horde Captain are in earnest conversation. "I can smell the sweet smell of opportunity wafting its way over here from that table, though it is tempered by an underlying stench of Imperial intrigue. Still, it could be the best chance for a good payday left around."

KenSeg #567616 Tue 15/11/11 00:08 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri with Comfrey and Conrad
Originally Posted by KenSeg
Conrad

Once he had the innkeeper's attention, he motioned to Comfrey.

"I wish to inquire if there might be two rooms that I can engage for the night. We will also need dinner and a flagon of wine?" he asked, glancing at his two companions.

"Wine. . will do. I don't drink it often. Coin will usually not allow."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 15/11/11 01:01 UTC.
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<Comfrey with Kadri and Conrad>

She nodded at his silent question and would wait until the innkeeper left to focus her attention on them to answer hers. She didn't need a room to herself, especially with the crowding, but she would wait to see what the innkeeper would say and not embarrass Conrad with a contradiction.

Last edited by Raven; Tue 15/11/11 02:13 UTC. Reason: tidying
#567659 Tue 15/11/11 01:48 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian with Mikal and Celli

"The barmaid said things are likely to break up soon, perhaps not," Darian commented and shrugged, her glance following Mikal's.

"Are there places that can be had through the season? A winter lodge of some sort?"

She and Longtooth would not travel through the winter if she could help it. It was too late to build their own shelter, and, perhaps, she could learn more about the lay of the land. Perhaps determine a heading in her search for a new territory.

Page 7 of 35 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 34 35

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Zeim
Member Spotlight
Pandemonium
Pandemonium
Oregon USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,840
Posts140,707
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy