Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Phoenix Prime, Miales), 15 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
lol

Online Away
you use a post to make a joke and another one to laugh at your own joke????

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
no dear that'
s one of the idiosyncrasies of posting from where I'm at...I always have to page back and refresh, but if I do it in the wrong order it double posts razz

Online Away
??? hmmm... Galaxy Quest reference time.... he does not understand, speak to him as if he were a child.

<wg>

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
I'm at the j-o-b...there are access restrictions that manifest in strange ways

Online Away
rat bastards!

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Oh, now that I can see it I do like! Though I think Mickey Rourke would be better. He's got the build for it still.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I'm still trying to picture how post-apoc supers would play out. Imho Old Man Logan only worked because it was a clever adaptation of the Marvel Universe, a bit like Marvel 1602.

Fist of the North Star had super-powered characters, but they and the world were created as a very tight package, whereas if you were to take a nuclear wasteland and throw in some random supers, I think you'd have problems with direction.

Online Away
sure Neil, but then the GM will have dropped the ball on world creation and conceptual vision. Just to take two genres of such disparate theme and simply merge them then yes... problems.

but start with the supers concept and, as Nicki points out, imagine a world in which the supers have escalated their war to the point of a global catastrophe- really envision it and flesh it out- like any GM should do when creating a new world concept- and what you see in your mind's eye should be a cleaner blend.

the reason for the post apoc world is the supers and thus they fit in it... what happens in the aftermath of that? that's the game.

nutshell version but i hope that refocuses the conversation back to what you were hoping for when you opened the topic.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
luv Well said, Phoenix Prime. So it'd be nice to hear more about members' post-apoc supers ideas in light of that.

I must admit, I have just finished running a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Post-Nuclear ftf campaign, and that was great fun. Ironing out the characters took time though.

It was set in an alternate reality inspired by the post-apocalyptic flicks of the Eighties.

We had teenage Shadowcat (Marvel), an old and cantankerous Ibis the Invincible, Swamp Thing (DC), a young Rupert "Ripper" Giles (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), a T-800 sent through time, and Beastmaster.

Why don't supers message games tend to last long, do you all reckon? Or is it just that more of them get started than other genres?

nem #559316 Fri 07/10/11 12:51 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
I think it is a hard game to GM as you have to balance how to challenge a 'super' when they can already do so much.

And I played the alternate Shadowcat in Neil's game which was great fun! Shadowcat is the girl from Xmen who could run through walls for those who didn't know. smile

Online Away
at the outset of this thread, I actually began to pose the universe creation questions to myself- the reminder of the Old Man Logan series gave me a good starting point.

as for the short life span- Supers is hard to run and not lose control of as a GM. Myself, personally, I have tended to take on a bigger worldview than I can possibly deliver upon. I like the epic telling but it is hard to juggle all the characters and a storyline big enough to make it worthy of said players and characters.

there are a couple of GM's here who do a great job with supers- they have a loyal following, and the mention of a supers game from them generates interest quickly. sometimes the game the put up doesn't last as long as everyone would like, but if it gets closed these GMs usually come up with a new idea and give that a go. generally though I have seen that their games get a lot of posts in whatever lifespan they have and that is it's own testament to the popularity of the genre and the GM's in question.

Online Away
is there interest in playing in an Old Man Logan game? Just interest... formal teasers to come so that interested parties can see the interpretation I plan to give it?

This would be an experiment on my part. I have an idea and a vision for a game... but I am hardly a fast GM(although I will attempt a game mechanic to help me compensate for that so that faster players can play without losing slower players along the way. an experiment. I want to be honest up front. Post apocalyptic supers intrigues me, and I hope to combine it with some other enduring ideas that have prospered here on DL in the past...

Interest?

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Sure Jim. I enjoy supers and Post Apoc. I would be interested to see what you come up with.

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
Ditto.

#560082 Mon 10/10/11 21:46 UTC
Online Away
first teaser is up- go ahead and post interest in that

Don Offline
Old Man Logan, the Supers/Post Apoc mash seems to be getting a lot of attention.

For those interested in the opposite side of the spectrum (A four color WWII Supers game) checkout the feeler for Blitzkrieg. This one is a Supers/Historical Mash with maybe a bit of Alternate History thrown in (depending on how far we get).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Pit Friend
Pit Friend
Midland, MI USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,440
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy