Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phoenix Prime), 11 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern
Marketday, the Twenty Fourth day of Crown of Ice

Lyric, Cesare, Keiko, the Yurisdotters Sisters, Kisa Allaine and Tomomi ...

"In some ways, your Minstrel friend and I are quite alike, when it comes to Midwinter's day."

The quiet redhead's reply was both soft-spoken and serious.

"When I was very very young, Midwinter's was an adventure. We had a fosterling in the Keep then, and he'd steal me away to do the most outrageous things, knowing it was the one day of the year when Mother could not take us to task. Now of course when I was that small, outrageous means things like making an unbelievable mess in the kitchen trying to bake a cake or sneaking into the stable to pet the destriers that were sent by this young Mikail bloke from far away. That fosterling - he must have spent days conjuring up what he would say to convince me to do these things - because even then I kind of knew what would happen if Mother found out.

"Which, of course, she always did."

Kisa managed a small, soft and somewhat sad smile.

"Later though, when I was old enough to understand who I was, what I was, Midwinter's became everyone else's. You wear your leather cloak, the one I wore was that of the Princess Allaine, heir apparent, someone the Vale would see and take for their own, to be the young noble lass that they could take pride in. Midwinter's was their festival ...not mine.

"A first it was fun play acting.

"Then it was hard - why should they have a holiday and I should not?

"Finally this old witch of a Dayalan came up and whapped me upon my head and called me an ungrateful toad. She made me look at them and asked me where did their smiles come from? When I just blinked she whapped me again, told me to think and told me my Mother figured this out when she even younger than I.

"It took a third whap before I realized that I was the reason they were smiling. I was their Kisa Allaine, and my job, my best and only job, was to make my people happy."

"That Dayalan witch ruffled my hair, said I was a good toad and that she had lied about my Mother figuring it out before me."

Kisa gave her Knight a very understanding look. They both had been under the same Priestess' tutelage, each in their own very different way. She leaned into her Knight, just enough to gently touch shoulders.

"And today? Today I am just Kisa. I want to know what their Midwinter's is like. I want to experience it, understand it, so I can be a better Khorall for them."

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 17/04/18 23:43 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet? Nope, not yet...]

[OOC: Because this has been a week from hell and because there are too many data points in both the GM’s initial post, Phoenix’s post, and the GM’s follow-up post to address coherently, I am simply focusing on Tomomi’s question: “What does Midwinters mean to you?” I have at least another page of snippets regarding things said by Daxia, Lyric, and Kisa that may or may not ever come into play. In my attempt to address everything, I found myself unable to address anything — so I am falling back to what should have been my approach in the first place: Keiko is a Sidekick. While she is an incredibly complex and nuanced character, she is not and should not be the one in the spotlight. Both Phoenix and Wolf have brought up important and interesting points that I would like to pursue, but that isn’t something that can be done in a single post. I hope we can find a way to circle back to some of it.]

As each person spoke, Keiko watched, listened, and smiled. Her smile changed as memories — or in Lyric’s case, lack of them — were shared.

The fullness of the Dayalan’s answer — one that, in some ways, mirrored Keiko’s own experiences — the brevity of Cesare’s answer, the complex honesty of Lady Bekkah’s reply gave her pause.

Watching Verchovai Daxia with Lady Bekkah and Dama Kisa gave her a glimpse into the woman’s almost playful aversion to the song that, one must presume, was written about her and her companions.

She nodded slowly. There was a common theme there. All Rhoni, perhaps more than most people, understood the freedom of having rules set aside for a day.

For the Rhoni lass, Dama Kisa’s answer might possibly have been the most telling, giving Keiko a glimpse into a life about which Lore was passed down from generation to generation.

It was Lyric’s simple admission that gave her the most pause, however. No matter how different Dama Kisa’s perception of the holiday was, there was still a foundation she shared with the others.

She felt oddly like both Lyric and Dama Kisa at the moment — an outsider looking in, but without the foundation of experiences that the Noble had as a child.

“It...” She looked at her Forever Friend and then Friend Lyric. “It is difficult to say what Midwinters means to me. There is much that cannot be said because these things cannot be said to those who are not Rhoni. It is a Rule, a Law, given to us by the Ancestors and we abide by it even more dutifully as the Folks at Home pay attention to Broke’s One Rule.”

Keiko drew a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“For a Rhoni, Midwinters is measured by the seasons and the position of the stars, for any time two or more Caravans meet, it is a celebration. When a Lone Waverider comes across a Caravan, that is a reason to celebrate. Any time a Caravan stops where the local folks are kind enough to allow us to dance and sing for them — that, too, is a celebration. When one of our Lost Ones returns to us...” She looked at Cesare with a smile. “...that is most certainly a reason to celebrate.”

She reached over to pat his knee again. “Careful, though, kinsman,” she said with a laugh. “While the Grandparents might be happy to help you rediscover your Family, I should warn you that the Grandmothers will be looking for the perfect wife for you.” She winked before turning to the rest of the group.

“Midwinters and Midsummers are days when nearly everyone welcomes us. That is cause for celebration, too. It is the release from the ordinary customs of the society around us that gives us...” Keiko tilted her head to one side. “...a sense of being part of something Other, I suppose. We are, we have always been, outsiders. We ride the Waves around the tumult and strife of Families, of Chaos and Order, or the changing Ages.”

She looked again at Tomomi and shrugged. “So, Friend Tomomi, I think the answer to your question might be that Midwinters is a reason to dress in my finest robe — which I did not bring with me — and Dance, and sing, and perhaps practice finding the most joyous and peaceful interpretations of the Cards that is possible.”

Finally, she looked around the table at the others. “We value Family,” she quietly said, “and we treasure our friends. And this is a time of year when most people celebrate that.” The Rhoni lass smiled wryly as she reached out to rest a hand on Friend Lyric’s shoulder. “I do that every day. Midwinters is the same as any other day in that respect. But it is also a day when I am allowed to be less of an Outsider than most of the year.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern
Marketday, the Twenty Fourth day of Crown of Ice

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa Allaine, Tomomi ... and the other patrons

"A chance to be part of something Other."

Tomomi smiled a little bit at that. Or, at the least, her hood ducked the littlest bit forward. Keiko did not have to see the smile to know it was there, the others, well, by the gentle tone of the Mouse's words they could surmise as much.

"I think Lady would be happy with that. It is very much like Home. She used to say that when we were tools, we belonged in a toolbox. But if we are not tools any longer, where do we belong?

"With each other."

Small arms folded together, rested on the tabletop, and then Tomomi gently placed her chin on them. She became a cute little bundle of patchwork leather cloak.

"I don't think you are a toad. Us Forest Folk know these things."

It was a quiet and gentle joke. Tomomi was smiling again. To be part of something Other.

"Toads go ribbit. You'd sound silly, going ribbit."

It gave you worth.

"Ribbit"

Kisa had to reply. It was a moral imperative. And, as it turned out, Tomomi was right.

The young Allaine grinned for a moment, before she shifted, just enough to let her head rest upon her Knight's shoulder. She was still, for a very long while. All about them, that Other, that simply by being in the Dragonstooth they were now a part of, it swirled and tumbled all around them. There were bits and pieces of conversation from farming to trading to the local gossip. Lori and the other barmaids wove through this pleasant chaos like needle and thread, delivering drinks and dinners. The minstrels, well that was a welcome respite. Since they had already done That Song and The Snowqueen was far too sad for a celebration, they instead turned to more common tavern fare, such as the Dall Gwynn and followed that up by a set of bright jigs that folks could dance to.

Finally, Kisa spoke again.

"I remember, one sunset, and I was looking up and he was looking down, well because he was hanging that way from the branches, handing the apples down to me. If the Castle groundskeeper had caught us, we would have been in so much trouble. And he said that stealing apples with me was the greatest thing. And when I said I didn't understand he tapped me on the head with one. He told me ...

" ... my Brother counts his riches in books, my other Brother counts his riches in coin. My Sister in fancy tunics and jewelry. My Father, he counts his riches in Knights ...

" ... now I'm poor, poor like I was from a really really small village.

" ... my treasury may only be a stone's throw from empty, but that's only because it contains one ... but that one is one Kisa.

" ... I'd rather come from that little village because one Kisa makes me richer then all of them combined."

Kisa wrapped both her arms around Daxia's, holding tight.

"One Daxia. One Mother. One Dandelion. One Miss Mouse ... and a Bekkah and a Cesare ... and now a Keiko and a Tomomi."

She nodded, looking across the way.

"And you too. One Lyric."

"One day I may be as rich as he. But this is a good start."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He has been lost in his own thoughts, wandering through memories of past Midwinters, something he has not done for a long time. Then Keiko brings him back to the present as she talks of the Rhoni. He laughs.

"Then I am probably quite safe as that task would probably be most difficult. I would not be much of a catch for a Rhoni lass, kinswoman, as I would be like a child struggling to learn first lessons among my people. But they might be lessons worth learning."

He is shaking off his reminisces, regaining the prevalent mood of the inn and present company.

"It is Midwinters and I think I need another ale."

The first had slipped away far too quickly. So he signals the barmaid and orders another, asking who else would like a drink.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern
Marketday, the Twenty-Fourth Day of Crown of Ice

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa Allaine, Keiko, Tomomi, and the other patrons

Ale, of course, was brought to the table at Cesare's beckoning. It was brought with a smile as if Cesare's continual requests had made him Lori's newest best friend. It was a midwinter's ale, not the stock that was normally sold day to day. But that was to be expected. Even if Midwinter's truly didn't start until tomorrow's sunset most large towns, manors and keeps started their celebrations early. A little bit before true sunset a call for dinner was made, the barmaids rushing from table to table to hear what everyone wished for that day's final meal. Their food, when it was brought, was of extra large servings. It was hot, it was delicious and it was a repast fit for both common folk and noble.

The tavern performers broke after the evening's meal was served. That gave Lyric a chance to perform.

"Hoi, that's not right!"

One of the patrons spoke out in the middle of her first song. There was a little bit of bustle until a wooden bowl was skid along the floor, coming to a stop at her feet. When she was finished, it was full of pennies, more than a little number of half-crowns and even a few crowns. It also held an apple, a cinnamon muffin and a pair of very nice buttons.

By then it was deep into the evening. The windows were dark squares and tavern patrons who walked the courtyard gallery had a beautiful view of the night sky. High above the larger moon chased the smaller across black velvet. The stars danced, like scattered diamonds, filling the sky from horizon to horizon. And while it was cool there was not a cloud in the sky. It was as if the winter storms had decided to take a vacation as well.

There were two momentary problems. The first came from the barmaid and required a bit of leverage to solve.

"But we have no rooms."

That got a response from Kisa. She just tilted her head and asked.

"Are you sure?"

Lori nodded her head, biting her lower lip.

"Ja, ma'am."

Kisa reached into her pouch and brought out a small stack of five dull grey coins.

"Are you sure there is not one room that has not yet been claimed?"

Lori caught her breath. She paused for only a heartbeat before sweeping up the coins with a swift hand.

"Well, I guess that's now your look-out Dama. I'd certainly not want Her angry at me. That could get someone hurt real bad."

Kisa Allaine smiled.

"That's fine. She works for me now."

The second problem was a bit more pragmatic.

Midwinter's Ale had a cost that had to be paid in more than money, be it common copper or noble platinum.

Together they had to lift Cesare's head out of his stew bowl and carry him back to their room.

The Dragonstooth Tavern
Restday, the Twenty-Fifth Day of Crown of Ice

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa Allaine, Keiko, Tomomi, and Blue the Street Urchin

The morning was bright. And bright was an understatement. The skies were still clear, the breeze still soft and She shone down from above in a spectacular brilliance. It was a wonderful morning for all.

All, perhaps, save the one who had had a little too much to drink the night before.

For those with a drumming headache, it was far, far too bright.

The scent of a homecooked breakfast drifted from the kitchen, through the commons and down the hallway that wrapped around the building. On each side of the long hallway were the rooms for the tavern's patrons. The nice thing about staying at the Dragonstooth was that they were able to make their way to the commons well before the townsfolk arrived. This made finding a place to claim for breakfast, right next to the warm hearth, quite easy. Several of their small group had reason to be up even sooner. For example, sunrise was a special time for Dayalans, marking Her rising and ever watchful gaze. A certain heiress still had a hard time getting up that early, but then Knights were good to lean on.

Breakfast was fresh from the oven pastries, hot kavass, spiced bread, cheeses and bits of leftover meat from the night before.

As the tavern slowly filled, it appeared to be the start of a nice, normal, day.

That lasted until Lyric took her first bite out of a delicious piece of cinnamon bread.

"Scuse."

The words came from a little girl. She was clothed in a rough, dirt-stained tunic. It was belted with a piece of rope and her feet were bare. Her eyes were soft brown, like a little ruff, when they could be seen through a ragged mop of pitch black hair.

"Scuse me. My name is Bluebell. But most folks just call me Blue.

"I was told to look for..."

She closed her eyes tightly, very tightly, as she tried her best to remember the important words. She swallowed, opened her eyes once more, and looked at all of them.

"I was told to look for more folks than I can count, but that it was really important. But I'd know them because one would a Lady in white with the kindest eyes. A girl with red hair and blue eyes who was fierce but the very best. Another girl with red hair that would be quieter than a mouse and needs tickling every now and then. I don't understand that part. It seems very silly. There would be others, and I got something for everyone, but they would be how I'd know I got the right folks."

Drawing herself up, Blue looked from one to the other to the other. She stopped at Lyric.

"I was told to tell the pretty minstrel that it had to be her. Her and her gitar-thing. When She kisses the Sea of Opals. And. And. And that it has to be magical."

The waif's attention then turned to Lady Bekkah.

"For the Lady in White, I'm supposed to tell her, make sure no one dies. Especially me. Well, not me. But the me who told me this. He seemed really, really scared."

Chewing on her lip Blue rose to tiptoes, looking and looking until she finally settled upon Cesare.

"For the boy, it's complicated. But I was told to tell you this. When Miss Lori calls for dinner. Last Door. Last Room. Open it. No sooner or later. A life depends on this.

Blue then turned to Kisa.

"Miss Quiet Red Hair, he said this should not be solved by thinking. He said, if you thought it was safe, he would give me a coin for every season I am old if I tickled you if I think you are starting to think. The other Miss Red Hair."

Bluebell summoned all her courage and faced Daxia.

"Miss Other Miss Red Hair. He looked so sad! He said to tell you he is without a Mouse! It seemed rather important to him. And that you are the only one who can fix it. That the Other, the Other is worse than death. So it must be you who is there and does it."

Finally, she fell back on her heels and she turned to Keiko.

"He said I would know you because you would have a shy friend who always wears a cloak. So he says to both of you. Midwinter's Hill. That is the location of everything. It just has to be. Warn Grandfathers."

Hugging herself tightly, Bluebell looked down on the floor, falling silent. There was a moment, a long set of heartbeats, of very awkward silence.

Until the tavern's doors were slammed open. It was rough, it was violent. The mugs on the tables shook and the door's sturdy wooden leaves shook in their hinges. In the doorway, there was a single figure. A person tall, lightly built, with short light hair in complete disarray. It was a waifish figure, so much like a farmgirl and yet, also, the spitting image of someone they had seen the day before - just a touch older. Her brigantine hauberk hung open, over tunics sable and silver. At her side was an absolutely black sword and in her other hand was a crumpled piece of parchment.

Kisa Allaine's mouth fell open in shock.

"WHERE IS THAT LOUSE?"

Captain Dandelion Koromov looked as if she could kill someone.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 06/05/18 20:30 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He is sitting staring at a pastry in his hand. He is not sure how it got there. Actually he is not sure how he got here. Worse he is not sure where here is.

But when he can turn his head.. slowly! away from the bright light he is sure he recognises all of the people around him. Names, maybe not. But faces, yes, he is sure he knows them all.

Apart from her!

He starts as a small girl swims into vision. A blue girl.. but aren't girls pink? He starts to shake his head but very quickly decides that it is not a good idea. Si instead he keeps his head still, rigid, his eyes fixed on the little girl.

She is talking but not in any words that make sense. He blinks. Tries to fasten his mind onto some of the words.White dinner room. Red mouse death. Shy cloak grandfather.

Another blink. No sense. Nothing.

Ahha. He must still be asleep. It is a dream.

He puts the pastry back on the plate. No point in eating a dream pastry.

Then there is a crash and a shout. Uhho. Nightmare trying to get in. Close eyes. Think of something pleasant.

Last edited by Gypsy; Mon 07/05/18 15:56 UTC.
Online Away
The Minstrel
The Dragonstooth Tavern
Marketday, the Twenty-Fourth Day of Crown of Ice

Lyric played and sang, enjoying herself, and even losing herself a bit. But there was a moment of apprehension in the very first set of her chance to play. The voice of the man nearly interrupted her, but she considered herself composed enough to handle a heckler. She smiled and nodded. Give him a chance...

The bowl sliding toward her across the floor. She didn't know what that meant, but as she played people slipped forward to deposit things in it. She just focused on playing, but offered a nod and smile to each person coming forward.

Were they 'paying' her? She hadn't been hired to play and so she wasn't offered anything by the Tavern itself, no cut of the night's custom, no room and board, and certainly no offer of patronage. She was familiar with the latter, patronage, and had performed for room and board. Those were things that could be negotiated but she had never played for coin before. The truth was, she didn't need money in her own village. And didn't even know how much money she actually carried since leaving home.

When her time was finished, and her music was played and heard, and the hired performers returned to close the night, she gathered the bowl, pausing to bask in the appreciation of the crowd. She looked at the contents of the bowl and felt an emotional wave from that symbol of acceptance. The food offerings were something that gave her a moment of reflection, but it was the two buttons that touched her the most. As she considered this realization, she thought back through memories to understand why this meant so much to her.

There was a story told to her when she was very young, a small child in fact. It was a parable of sorts, a lesson taught to children about the nature of kindness and compassion.

A powerful Prince felt so removed from those who served him, from the simplest subject to those who gathered around his own feasting table. It was a realization of emptiness in his life. And so, he disguised himself to move freely among the people. Very few would ever have known what he looked like because he seldom ever left his private chambers, even to join his chieftains at council. But now he decided to learn the heart of his people and maybe discover the nature of his own heart. Dressed as a pauper, the Prince wandered among his people. He knew that his people would bow and grovel before him because of who he was but he wanted to see whether or not his people would take notice of someone who was the lowest of the low when they had nothing to offer anyone. He begged for indulgences and favor from those he wandered among. There were many who ignored him in his disguise and this troubled the disguised Prince. It angered him, but he kept himself focused. He wanted to find the true nature of his people, and if he could find a heart of Compassion then he might be able to find that very thing in himself as well. So he continued. He went among his chieftains, wandering from clan to clan. He wandered among the peoples who served them as well. There he found those who offered some favor to one such as he pretended to be, but in their hearts he saw that they mostly did so to assuage their own heart so that he might leave them alone again. There were those who had riches beyond measure but offered little to anyone, and if they did, it was hardly an act of compassion, but rather of selfishness. The Prince had traveled the length and breadth of his realm and his heart was filled with sorrow for he realized that the nature of his people was not one of kindness and compassion, and that was a reflection of himself. If only he might find one person among his subjects to show him mercy, true generosity of spirit, then he felt he himself might have hope. And when he thought there was not another person left in all his realm whom he had not already tested, and he felt resigned to the acceptance that his emptiness was a thing he would never redeem, he met a young woman who was truly in a state like that to which he pretended. She was a sorrowful creature, living off the meager charity of others. He had witnessed how meager this charity was, and lamented the dire nature of her circumstances. She was a terrible thing to behold, weak and broken... with a bowl that held everything she might call her own. Scraps of food and a piece of fruit. A few rocks dropped into her bowl as a taunt or prank. But she kept those rocks all the same. Her saw her for the first time and he realized that he had seen her many times before, but only just now did he truly open his eyes in understanding. In his disguise he had still ignored her all this time. She smiled at the Prince when he approached her. She offered him everything she had in her bowl if only he would share it with her in return. That was her heart... That was his hope...

Her companions were gathered about their table. She felt grateful to have them. She could have been left to wander alone in a land so vastly different than her own. She could have been left to navigate dangers and perils by herself, but these companions accepted her, even though her story had not yet been told... and maybe it never could be told... For she left behind perils equally as dangerous as those she set out alone to face. Dangers that might easily have followed her to render a judgment different than exile.

She looked at the bowl as she slipped away from the Tavern's stage and for the first time in her life, so far from home, she finally understood the meaning of the Prince's Parable. There were those who had nothing to give but food or maybe a weathered and worn coin that might buy bread to last another day and night. But they gave it to her because she had given them something from her own heart without expectation of reward. She played music because she loved music. She loved to see how her songs touched the hearts and souls of those who heard it. It was as though she played her music in the hopes that she could find a way to fill an emptiness in her own heart,

Lyric took her bowl and moved through the crowd, to find those who came to the tavern looking for an evening of happiness on this eve before a festival, before difficult months were to come. The musicians had resumed their playing and singing, and the mood was lively and bright, and most everyone focused on the fun of the evening. Lyric, moved with grace through the patrons. She sought those eyes who gave so much of themselves, offering hope while in search of hope. One by one, table by table, maybe family by family. She offered them the coins she had been given. With that came words of encouragement and grateful thanksgiving for coming to listen to her play. She offered the coins as a gift, and let it be known there were no conditions attached. Just a gift from her heart to their hearts.

Lyric had little use for coin. As she noted, she didn't even know the denominations of them, so she didn't have any clue how much she had. But those with children might receive a larger shinier coin or two. But everyone whose heart touched hers as she drifted through the crowd received something in return from her. She would even offer coins from those few she had brought with her from home as well. What good where the coins to her? But to some here, seeking a bit of warmth and hope, these coins might mean everything.

This was a festival right? Where kindness and compassion would show the true heart of those who offered it and those who received it.

She slipped the buttons into her purse and tied the strings again.

OOC: I felt I needed to divide my post into two parts since the GM's post was in two parts, an evening and the next morning. In my next post I will continue with the morning. But for this one, I felt it important to take a moment to develop the character because I felt the simple details of the contents of the bowl would touch the Minstrel deeply.

Online Away
The Minstrel
The Dragonstooth Tavern
Restday, the Twenty-Fifth Day of Crown of Ice

The next morning...

It seemed Cesare was so much worse for the wear he inflicted upon himself the previous night. He did enjoy a festive atmosphere, no doubt. Lyric watched as her companions and those she had just recently met began to gather in the Tavern's common room. As was her custom, Lyric had been awake some time before the first hint of a glow peeked up from an eastern horizon, and well before the first rays of light from She Who Crosses the Sky broke the darkness of night. It was something her companions would have been accustomed to by now. Lyric's early morning schedule was unwavering and unfailing.

She sat in a quiet corner, meditatively stilling her thoughts and calming her spirit. She wore the heavy tartan cloak to ward off the morning chill while she waited for Keiko, who was often up as early as she, and Tomomi to make their way to the big room. Lyric would let others choose a table.

And when the gathering began, even Cesare was among the 'living'... though not by much it seemed. She smiled softly. She understood his plight though. Too much fun came at a dear cost, one that demanded payment from him this morn.

More people arrived, and food was being delivered. Lyric had found the delectable she had hoped would and made claim to some of the sinno-man' bread.

One bite, one divinely inspired taste, the scent of bread and spice, the warmth of the freshness, made her close her eyes and a small shiver passed through her. Lyric tried to make that feeling last...

...but the magic spell was broken by the voice of a child standing so near. Lyric, with bread in hand and to her mouth looked to her side to find the source of the voice. her eyes widened at the sight of the ragamuffin girl and she immediately made to offer her food to the ragamuffin child.

"Blue," she repeated as the girl was speaking.

Bluebell... It was a flower name she had heard Keiko mention along the Path. And often such names were chosen or given to those in service to Dayalla. At least that was what Lyric could remember in this awkward moment.

The girl said many things to several of her companions. She heard them all, but the words spoken to her dominated her thoughts and cast a shadow over other pieces to this girl's plea for assistance and warning of events to come.

Lyric was confused. it was a puzzle of sorts, a message delivered in a prose to a child who was desperate to remember all of it, and in the order it had been given her. Her talent for the delivery was remarkable though, even if Lyric could not understand anything she heard.

"Magical," she repeated quietly.

When She kisses the Sea of Opals. And. And. And that it has to be magical.

But the mention of last doors and and last rooms... A place called Midwinter's Hill... Something, or someone called Other... no place for thinking... warn the Grandfathers... Let no one die... especially not me... him... not her, but the me that was him... Missing a Mouse? Dommi... Emerald? Which one in trouble? Both of them?

Dommi was giving them a plan to help. A puzzle. He had begun to suspect that his own magic, albeit powerful, was tied to the Nature of the deity he followed. While it might have been easier and more useful for him to describe his predicament more clearly that probably couldn't happen unless they were in his presence. And, well, It was Dommi... He didn't do anything without some flair for the dramatic. So, to use his magic he had rules to follow. Lyric understood magic. Another of her giftings, to see magic and to understand it. She had to give all of this some though to gain clarity, but for now her assumption would have to dictate her thoughts and actions.

The me, but Not me, a he... yes, Dommi. She had a thin grasp upon this connection because of other things she heard.

The girl fell silent, but there was only a heartbeat and breath of time before the doors to the tavern were roughly thrown open.

And Lyric froze in fear at the sight of the woman she saw. Not so much her in appearance for Lyric had seen this face upon another, younger, the night before without recognition. No, it wasn't the face, or even the voice... But deep, near paralyzing fear gripped the Minstrel. The bread in her hand fell free to the ground. If it were a crystal goblet it would have shattered.

Lyric summoned her strength and turned herself away from the warrior woman and drew up her own cloak and cowl to conceal herself. She was seated with her companions well across the tavern's large room. From the door to the hearth, and it would take the warrior woman's eyes a moment to adapt from the bright morning to the darker confines of the tavern's interior.

Lyric tried hard to mask her own fear and regain her composure. The warrior woman was searching for the girl who stood beside her at their table. Instinct told the Minstrel that she needed to escape this place, but there was no where to run. No place to go that wouldn't bring a chase. Lyric didn't like being hunted...

She forced a calm over herself and slipped her arms around Bluebell to embrace her.

"Does she mean to harm you," Lyric asked in a whisper in the girl's ear.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter and Keiko of the Family Nakano
[Daxia serves DAYALA (get the spelling right); Keiko’s name is pronounced KAY-ko]

(OOC: Since the GM changes the description of the Inn’s layout with each iteration, I figure it doesn’t matter what it really looks likes. This is called “progress” by some. To me, it just means I’ve set Super OCD Woman on other tasks, and the issue won’t come up until later. Of course, we do run the risk of incurring her ire. There’s no telling what might happen then. Be afraid. Be very afraid.)

Most mornings, the Heir seemed happy enough to join her Knight in their morning devotions. This had not been one of those mornings. Fortunately, Kisa’s desire to remain bundled beneath blankets reminded Daxia so much of Romana and her distaste for mornings and the Starlord merely giggled.

“You’re laughing at me again, Dazi.”

“Not so, my liege. You are acting very Romana-like this morning and, although I miss my friend, you are reminding me that she is probably just as cheerfully crawling out of bed for her morning devotions with my Squire. And that my Squire is likely having less fun than I in rousing sleepy princesses.”

“I’m not a princess.”

Daxia snorted. “Close enough.”

The colors of this morning’s sunrise were more muted, something that presaged a bright and bold appearance of their Lady. Despite the cold air, Dayala’s priestess smiled from the warmth of her heavy Kierkegaard cloak. Dayala blessed the world with Her light; an Heiress leaned against her side.

It was a glorious morning.

As had been their custom this past week, after morning devotions, the Dayalans reached the common room before any of the Inn’s patrons. Settling beside the hearth, Daxia was not surprised when Kisa’s head rested on her shoulder. After thanking the Innkeeper’s youngest daughter for their basket of muffins and breads, she grinned as she set a muffin in front of Kisa.

“Muffles.”

At the no longer inscrutable look she received from Kisa, Daxia just laughed.

She watched as the other patrons began arriving, mostly because the enjoyment of watching people was something she and Kisa had in common. Her sister’s minstrel friend chose a table in a far corner of the room. Cesare... Dazi bit her lip and lowered her eyes to the cup of kavaas in front of her. His discomfort wasn’t funny, except that it was. Just a little. She had always been astounded by the amount of ale he drank. This morning was, apparently, the one in which all that ale finally caught up to him.

It was bound to happen sooner or later.

Both he and the Rhoni lass with her diminutive cloaked companion joined the minstrel in the corner.

“Should we join them?” Kisa whispered.

“We have the hearth. They have a dark and dreary corner of the room.” The Knight raised an eyebrow. “What do you think?”

“I don’t think the corner is either dark or dreary and that you were happy enough to sit there last night.”

Daxia shrugged. “Fair points. We still have the hearth.”

As she and Tomomi crossed the common room, Keiko once again shuddered as they walked by the large Dragon’s tooth above the bar. It would be nice to sit by the hearth where it was warm — Lady Daxia and Dama Kisa were already sitting there. On the other hand, she’d rather be as far from the reminder of the mines as possible. And Friend Lyric had already claimed a table in the corner!

She sat down beside her friend and peered at Cesare.

“You look like Krysta is standing over your shoulder, kinsman.”

The baskets of pastries and breads caught all her attention then. She could have sworn she saw Tomomi’s whiskers twitching at the wonderful smells. Keiko wasn’t surprised that Lyric chose a slice of cinnamon bread, nor was she surprised at her friend’s reaction to the flavors.

Keiko smiled. Taking joy in the simple things — it was yet another reason she felt close to Lyric. She wasn’t Rhoni, no. But she seemed to look at life much the same way a Rhoni would.

For herself and Tomomi, Keiko chose a blueberry muffin, breaking it in half and giving part of it to her Forever Friend.

Daxia blinked at the urchin when she stopped at their table. She exchanged a glance with Kisa. And then she sighed.

“Where might I find this scared lad, Blue? That would be a useful thing to know. Oh, and if you count to a fullhand three times, that should be enough time to wait before tickling Miss Quite Red Hair again.” Daxia lowered her voice and whispered to the child. “She hardly ever stops thinking.”

Then she watched the youngster head to the table with Cesare and his friends.

“I wonder what game Dominic is playing now,” Kisa mused.

Dazi looked at her with a piece of muffin halfway to her mouth. “I’ll tickle you myself if you don’t stop, Kisa. And Dominic’s games give me a headache, so I’m going to finish my breakfast before worrying about it.”

Keiko, meanwhile, stared at the child named Blue after she delivered her cryptic message — a message that made not the slightest bit of sense. She felt a tug on her sleeve and automatically leaned over to hear what Tomomi had to say.

“What does she mean?”

The Rhoni let loose a lyrical string of syllables that sounded oh so pretty, although the tone of her voice was utter confusion.

“What does that mean?” Tomomi asked.

“It doesn’t really have a translation. But in the language the Young Master asked me not to speak, it indicates that...”

She blinked. “Wheel of Chaos. Snow and Dagger. Unicorn Reversed.

“It means I’m powerfully confused.”

When the Dayalan Knight slammed open the door and yelled, Keiko could see that Lyric was more upset than she had ever seen her friend. She scooted closer to Lyric and wrapped an arm around her friend as the minstrel tried to protect the child.

Connections... connections... remember the lore.

She wasn’t certain who Dandelion of the Family Homura and follower of the Sun Lady was looking for, but Keiko would protect her friends if it came to that.

“Lyric,” she whispered, “she isn’t looking for the child. Dandelion kha’Madoka kha’Ayanna kha’Kame kha’Chikato khal’Homura Akemi would NEVER hurt a child.”

Daxia looked up as the door crashed open and groaned. “Wonderful. Just wonderful,” she muttered. She stood up almost reluctantly. As she trudged over to the doorway, she gave the appearance of one being led to the Executioner’s block. The only comfort Dazi took from this situation was the knowledge that her sister would be able to heal her of whatever damage the Captain might inflict. She was reasonably certain Dandy wouldn’t start a fight in the Inn, certainly not this early in the day.

The younger Dayalan stopped just outside Dandy’s reach. Not that it would help her much, of course. Dandy was fast. Dazi just pointed at the crumpled parchment in Dandy’s hand and waggled her fingers as if to say, hand it over.

Dominic really should have known better. He’d known Dandy long enough to know the Captain couldn’t read.

Then the priestess looked at the very, very, very angry face of Captain Koromov.

“I pray to Dayala that we’re both looking for the same louse.”

(Also, despite what the GM might want us to believe, since the group is split and it’s a busy morning in the tavern and none of us has Super Hearing that’s good enough to compensate for that, I am going with the assumption that not everyone has heard the entirety of Bluebell’s message. Unless we all have Super Hearing, of course, which would be awesome and will definitely come in handy in the future.)

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Kisa Allaine

Kisa listened as Daxia explained the waking rituals of Squire and Princess. She slowly sat up, shook out her hair, ruffled her fingers through crimson locks before suddenly stopping.

"Oh. My. Is that why she had a black eye one morning?"

That thought brought a smile to Kisa's lips. A soft one and a one that was almost gentle. She folded her hands in her lap, peeking out the window to see how long it was before the sun rose and silently calculating just how long she could remain wrapped up in warm blankets.

"Despite her brash nature, she seems to have a great depth of patience. As deep as your kindness. No one else would have let me go to the sea. Standing with you, watching Her set over the sparkling flame-touched waters is something that will forever warm me against the coldest of fates."

Then it was time for her to rise.

Dandelion Koromov

Upon being approached, the Captain of the Wild Horde came to a sudden and complete stop. She blinked, shook her head and muttered three simple words. Oddly, the words were not angry, nor were they spiteful. They were more exasperated, the dead even tone of someone who had just discovered that it was not certain louses who was in trouble, but themselves.

"Krysta's frozen socks."

With a long exhalation of breath, Dandelion simply handed over the bit of parchment.

"Of course we are. Dark hair, frustratingly adorable smile, short and should be hanging from the rafters by now. Oh. I bet crowns for stars that not only did he know you were here but he planned what ever this is around you being here."

Looking past Daxia to Kisa Allaine there was the slightest drop in the sword woman's shoulders.

"I know this looks bad. But i swear, the Korie transition is going well and between Rafe and Barris everything is well in hand. Then I got this message from our favorite troublemaker."

Uncrumpling the parchment, Daxia was able to read the message that had summoned a Koromov.

Aunt Dandy, how often have I ever begged a boon from you? Fine. Beer, a dinner, a dance, your pillow. Admit it, you weren't using it at the time. But really, truly, on my knees? Fine. When it was something that wasn't a joke? It is vitally important for you to be in Bordertown. At Midwinter's Festival. It is a matter of life an...

The parchment was ripped, leaving the rest of the message an unknown.

"No one calls me that.

While Dandelion Koromov's reading skills might be wanting, the other members of her command didn't have the same handicap. That didn't mean that she couldn't still be annoyed.

"Makes me feel like an old woman. Louse."

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 11/05/18 02:01 UTC.
Online Away
Lyric

Keiko's reassurance of the Dayalan Warrior's intentions notwithstanding, Lyric kept the girl close for a few more moments. She turned her head, swinging the cowl about so she could see her Rhoni friend.

"Are you sure of this? She seems to have quite a temper."

Looking back to Dandelion Koromov, Lyric lowered her and kissed the top of Blue's head. "If you are safe, then I will not hold you child."

This was a complicated moment for Lyric. Holding the child, seeing the Warrior for the first time, knowing the stories, hearing and seeing how she entered. Lyric wanted to slip away from here, but she didn't know where to go, nor how to do it without drawing more attention.

"Young one," she continued. "Remember the words... keep them in your mind..." Lyric would rely on the distance in the room. Keiko and Tomomi and Cesare were all nearby her.

Slowly she turned the girl around to face her directly. She smiled. Her face, so young, her features so small. "Repeat them all to me, just as you said them to each of us, and I will learn them and you will be freed of the burden you were sent to deliver us. Ja?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He might be close physically, but mentally?

Currently he is sitting with his eyes closed, seemingly unaware of anything going on around him.

Someone might have to remember his words.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter
[Daxia serves DAYALA... the GM ESPECIALLY should get this right]

“Ja, same louse.”

After reading the note, Daxia smoothed it as much as possible, then folded it up and handed it back to Dandelion. “Anything more to it that I need to know besides ‘a matter of life and death’?” Then she tilted her head in Kisa’s direction.

“Might as well join us. The urchin over there,” she said pointing toward a table in the corner where Cesare was looking more than slightly green, “came by with a bizarre message that made no sense. Something about a missing Mouse, which — if I understand anything at all about his lovely friend — seems suspicious.”

She sat down again next to Kisa and gestured to a seat opposite them.

“The suspicious part isn’t that she’s missing, it’s that our favorite mischief maker claims that she’s missing. Also, the urchin is to tickle this one...” She nudged Kisa’s shoulder. “...whenever she appears to be thinking.”

Daxia looked at Kisa and grinned. “Quick, do your thinking now while she’s over with Cesare and his friends.” Then she laughed.

However, when she looked back at Dandy, she sighed. “He and Lady Emerald met us on the road between Talesan’s Village and Talantal to mention that my sister and her friends would meet us in Bordertown. So, yes. He knew we were going to be here.”

She broke off a small bit of her muffin and popped it into her mouth before nudging the basket toward Dandy.

“If that isn’t an honorary title he uses to annoy you, then your family is even more complicated than I can imagine. Therefore, I believe it would be wise for me to not be interested in said complications. Also, it makes me glad to be the daughter of a simple swordmaker and the love-struck daughter of a Starwatcher.” She gave Kisa a side-eye glance. “That’s not a complicated family, is it? Of course not. I’m glad we all agree on that.

“Also, since you’re near enough my sister’s age that it hardly matters, it could explain why he does it. Bekkah doesn’t need help. She decides to feel like an old woman all on her own just because she doesn’t have a brood of children. Since neither of you is old, I can only surmise that you got knocked in the head one time too many. I have no idea how to explain Bekkah.

“And don’t give me that look.”

Then the Starlord looked up at the rafters, imaging a certain rapscallion dangling from them.

“I wonder...” She tilted her head to one side and then the other. After a few moments, she looked back at her muffin, resting her head in one hand while breaking the muffin into smaller pieces with the other.

“What if...” Daxia looked at Kisa on her muffin hand side, then tilted both head and hand to look at Dandelion across from her.

“What if we declined to play his festive little game? What’s wrong with a cheerful but thoroughly ordinary Midwinter Festival? Last year was not cheerful, nor was it ordinary. Midsummers was...” She sighed, then tipped her chin at Dandy. “Well, you were there.

“Can’t we just enjoy a Festival like common folks without a diminutive, dark-haired reprobate with a frustratingly adorable smile trying to make it all far too interesting? And if he’s designed his game around the fact that we’re all here, and we simply refuse to play, he’ll have to come out of his Shadows. That’s when we grab him and hang him up by his belt.”

She saw the look on Kisa’s face.

“What? Hanging him by his belt means he can’t consistently stare down the blouses of our blonde friends. And why those with blonde hair are more buxom than those of us with red hair is something you’re welcome to think deeply on later. It’s just something I’ve observed.”

“That wasn’t...” Kisa began before clearing her throat. “I question the wisdom of not participating in Dominic’s game.”

Daxia furrowed her brows as she looked at Kisa. “You said yourself that you could never manage to say no to any of his outrageous schemes when he fostered with your family. That? Right there? What you just said? He’s counting on that, you know. Even if he realizes the fullest extent of my exasperation and stubbornness — possible, but unlikely — he can count on you to make the case to continue to play along. I love you, Kisa dear, but every so often you are predictable.”

However, she did smile at her lady before turning to Dandelion again.

“And what gave you the impression that his note was anything more than just another one of his jokes or games? There had to be something that made you at least suspect he might be serious.”

Then Daxia shrugged again. “Telling Kisa not to think is the same thing as telling her not to look at the Patterns. It’s also like telling her not to breathe. Of course, he didn’t say I shouldn’t think or look at the Patterns, but he likely knows I think too much — something I am proving this very moment. Also, I can’t see the Patterns as well as Kisa does. But as much thinking as I do, I can’t reconcile the fact that his message was quite literally a collection of words that make no sense taken as a whole.”

She paused and finished off her mug of kavaas.

“Something that I — of all the people on the Mainland — I am the only person who can ‘fix’ whatever it is that he’s broken? You will both pardon me if I find that beyond laughable.” Her voice dropped to barely more than a whisper. “And to mention some ‘Other’ that is worse than death? It puts me in mind of last Midwinters’ events that have minstrels up and down the Highland Path singing. And reminding me of that night in something other than song is a fine way for the young scamp to get his neck wrung before he’s hung from the rafters.”

Kisa knew full well that facing the Avatar was something Daxia prefers not to contemplate much. She had spent the past year working through her complicated feelings about the entire incident and being reminded of it...

The Starlord was resigned to being semi-immortalized in song. To be reminded of that which was worse than death? Well, it was more likely to get her to spend the whole day trudging up and down the path from well to Temple top, bringing bucket after bucket of water to Lady Kay, as it was to engage her in the young Korie Lord’s nonsensical games.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern
Restday, the Twenty-Fifth day of Crown of Ice

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa Allaine, Keiko, Tomomi, Bluebell, Dandelion Koromov and a very slowly growing influx of tavern patrons.

Bluebell let herself be tucked up close. Not that she wasn't nervous, or a little skittish, but even so she let the minstrel wrap her up in protective arms. The kiss on the top of her tousled hair was, however, perfect. That was when she relaxed, swallowed, and raised herself on tiptoes so she could see what the loud woman was doing. The little girl blinked, cocked her head and made a unique comparison to the Captain's arrival and her own experiences.

"She don't look mean anymore. She looks like Juli when Maki puts a toad down her tunic. They are brother and sister and Maki says that's what brothers do. He says it's a law. Juli always gets him back later."

Turning around Blue looked to Lyric and gave her a most serious nod. As serious as little kid could ever be. Closing her eyes Blue carefully repeated each and every one of her instructions, pausing momentarily now and then to make sure she was telling things straight and true. There was a long hold, however, when she came to the request made to the silent Bekkah. Slipping even closer to Lyric she gave the priestess a very worried look.

"Is the Lady in White mad at me? She is all quiet, like the women at the well when we run past. The only time they talk to us is to tell us to go away."

After that, Bluebell immediately continued with her recitation, shifting from one subject to the next as easy as creek water around rocks. She let out a long breath when she was finally done.

For Cesare, his morning pains did not go unnoticed. Fairly loudly, two big pewter mugs were thunked down on the table next to him. The barmaid looked upon him with a definite smirk. She seemed to know exactly how he was feeling and just how he had gotten there. That was, most probably, due to her having to deal with the tavern patrons since she was old enough to carry a platter.

"There laddie. You got a choice."

One mug contained festival ale, the other ice cold kavass.

"The hair of the ruff that mangled you or something with more kick than a shaggie with thorns in two paws."

When the barmaid slipped away to fulfill her other duties, Tomomi spoke up. While her features were hidden by her travel cloak, one could just imagine her nose scrunching up and brow furrowing.

"Wheel of Chaos. Snow and Dagger. Unicorn Reversed. That means confusing? The Young Master is always confusing. If Broke was here she'd shake him and cuff him but then at the end of teaching him, she'd sit him in her lap because she says he's the perfect height for a chin rest. Lady, however, says something different. Like he never ever spoke about us being people or not or being worthy of living. But by not speaking of it, it was like he was yelling at the top of his voice that we were just like any other folks. Lady says what he doesn't say is more important. Like he doesn't say why Miss Emmi is missing. Like he doesn't say what is in the room at the end of the hall and why it's important to be let out only at a specific time."

Tomomi nibbled at her breakfast.

"Maybe it's like lace. Each stitch is kind of plain by itself, but when you put them all together they make pretty scallops.

"And I still believe Miss Kisa needs some pretty lace."

Elsewhere, another conversation continued. Captain Koromov simply crossed her arms. It wasn't because she was angry at Daxia or Kisa, but perhaps it allowed her to ground herself when considering the mainland's most disreputable rake. She opened her mouth twice, as if she was going to start speaking and then thought better of it. It was more a case of not knowing exactly where to start. So, to begin with, she chose the most volitile.

"No. We are not related. Thank the stars. I have one nephew and only one nephew. That said, my name, properly, is Dandelion Alyssa kha’Madoka kha’Ayanna kha’Kame kha’Chikato khal’Homura Akemi-Koromov. Now that's quite a mouthful, but if I like you, you can call me Dandelion. If I don't, then it's Koromov. But I am not a Dan, not a Danni and most certainly not a Dandy. My name does not rhyme with candy.

"Louse. He knew that wouldn't get me here, but that if I did decide to come it'd get me here fast. And why? It's right there. The first thing he wrote. Rafe said he had to read it three times because even he didn't believe it. How often have I ever begged a boon from you? That's right. Now that Korie always asks for silly things, in conversation, to make a joke, to play, to tease, but anyone with half a mind knows he is just playing - and it is always a harmless, good-hearted game and more than half the time he not only knows but expects the answer will be no.

"But he almost never, never, never ever comes straight out and said, can you do me a favor? That this is important for me. This is Dominic Korie. Think about that. He doesn't asks for favors for himself."

Kisa spoke up, looking to Daxia, having known Dominic Korie the longest.

"Dandelion is right. Dominic does favors for others. Not the other way around."

"And you are right. He knows he's gotten me. And he knows that I know that. He knows that I stopped being able to say no to him when I realized that no matter how much trouble we got in if I didn't play along it would be something I'd regret for all time.

"I also think the key is in what he told me. This is Dominic. Life and death? It could be life and licorice for all we know. This may not be a mystery of patterns, logic or intrigue with high stakes affecting the entire mainland. It may be something I'm not very good at. He told me to stop thinking.

"What if it's not a matter of the mind but one of the heart?"

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 13/05/18 14:11 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

As the two tankards thud down, the sound reaches into Cesare's consciouness, at last as much as existed at this time. He opens one eye. The nightmare figure in the centre of the room has gone!

It worked!

Dream back on track, only possible explanation. He eyes the two tankards, his hand almost grasping the ale but at the last moment he changes his mind and takes the kavass. Grasping the tankard securely, not an easy task, he downs it in one.

A shudder passes through him.. and then he opens the other eye. Both now seem to be gaining some focus.

Online Away
Lyric

Sometimes it feels like the line between Order and Chaos is a sharp edge.
-Somebody important, long ago, and farther away

"No Child," reassured Lyric as she kept the girl near to the protective circle of her own presence. "The Lady in White is not mad at anyone. I'm not sure she can really be mad at anyone. But yes, she can be quiet. Hers is a life of Order and Serenity I think. I believe your Ladies at the Well are also serene and they value their quiet."

Lyric framed the girl's face in her hands, leaning down to meet the eyes of the child, so very close to her own. "But the very nature of being a child is at odds with such things I fear. The Wheel turns..."

There were memories, so many of them, flooding her thoughts. Had she only now just remembered a simpler and freer life herself.

"A time and a place for everything Blue. No matter how much you grow up, no matter how many years you live, never forget to find a moment to chase butterflies and whimsy. Ja?"

Lyric kissed the girl on the forehead, and that too stirred a memory. As though she was imitating a moment in her own life staring at the eyes of a mentor who taught her the power of her own voice. The memory threatened to bring her to emotion though, and so she turned the girl back around and encircled her arms protectively around Blue.

Together, faces side by side, they would watch the scene in the Tavern's common room reveal itself further. Lyric kept close to Keiko and Tomomi, Bekkah and Cesare. These were her closest companions... friends...

"Blue," she whispered. "You said that the 'Me' that was not 'You' who told you these words to tell to us was scared and missing his Mouse... How did he talk to you... as though he were speaking from the darkest shadows of your room last night? Could you see him? Could you see anything around him?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern
Restday, the Twenty-Fifth day of Crown of Ice

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa Allaine, Keiko, Tomomi, Bluebell, Dandelion Koromov and a very slowly growing influx of tavern patrons.

"A matter of the heart."

Dandelion Koromov kept her arms crossed as she looked to her patron. After a bit of consideration, the Horde's captain closed her eyes for a moment. As she did one hand slipped lower, until they traced over the pommel of her sword, tapping out a slow even rhythm. Her nose wrinkled and when she opened her eyes once more she spoke.

"You are probably right. We are all probably overthinking this. This is like planning a campaign with Barris. Barris is the best tactician between the mountains black and the opal seas. But he often gets lost in the details of things. Fine. This is Dominic Korie we are talking about. We all know he is a mischief maker and spinner of tall tales. Fine. Short tales. We also know the more important something is the less leeway he has when talking about it."

Kisa just nodded quietly, as she took in Dandelion's words. She had, of course, already confirmed her position in this matter. Koromov's gaze fell squarely on Daxia, for they both shared something very basic in common.

"We serve a relatively sane goddess. This is probably as straightforward as he is allowed to be. So he said you are the only one who can do this? Break it down. How many Dayalans does he know? What's the difference between you and me? Just one. I can't be a priestess.

"So let us forget the trees and look at the Forest.

"Just what did he ask the rest of you to do?"

This was Dandelion Koromov, strategist, at work.

Meanwhile, Cesare looked as if he had been struck by lightning. Cold frozen lightning. It didn't stop his headache, no. That pounding went on and on and on. However, the kavass did well when it came to clearing away the cobwebs and the murk. On one hand, he could think again. On the other hand, he still felt like he had been run over by a herd of shaggies and he could hear everything folks around him were saying. And they were all, at least as it seemed to him, speaking very loud.

He knew he had been given a task, to open a door at a certain time. Something like that. The little kid would know.

Lori breezed by, setting a glass of something clear in front of Bekkah. At the Aterran's silence, she drew herself to a stop.

"Are you well missus? you don' seem to be yourself this morning. Shall I send someone up to the ruins and fetch our Lady to look after you?"

Tomomi leaned back, nibbling at her morning meal.

"What if it's just simple? We have a time. We have a place. What if it's nothing more complicated then that? Well, except he asked you to make sure that it's a good place and that no one will get in trouble being there. Maybe it's like borrowing Lady's room at Home after you've had a long day looking for just the right shade of purple."

Just a little bit away Blue looked up to Lyric.

"Oh. Shadows and voices. I don't understand. He found us this morning when the Market opened. We go there because it always smells nice. I mean, there were shadows, but that was just because She hadn't gotten above the rooftops yet. He was nice though very strange. He gave me and Juli and Maki fishcakes. Juli and Maki had to go do chores so I was the one who got to do this. But he was just like Juli' and Maki's mother. She's always rushing about because she says there's never enough time to do everything she has to do. So he was here and gone and he said he trusted me.

"So please help him?

"It feels good when someone trusts you.

"I don't want to lose that"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

That was worse than a dunking in the middle of winter! He tries to focus his eyes through the pain in his head. Some of it seems to work. But why is everyone shouting?

"Ssshhh.."

His eyes find the little girl.

"You said something to me earlier. Can you say it again.. but quietly?"

Bekkah

She looked up at Lori and gave her a smile.

"No lass. I was just thinking. At times it takes me away from here and I become distant. I apologize, but there is no need of worry. I am fine."

She turned to Bluebell if she was still there and gave her a smile as well.

"I will make sure all are as whole as possible. I always do." she added with another smile.

[ooc: I apologize for my absence, but it was unavoidable.]

Online Away
Lyric

The Minstrel held her embrace. Before Blue could respond Lyric pressed her cheek against Bluebell's and spoke softly.

"Shhh. You have already carried your share of this burden, Little One."

Lyric looked over the girl's shoulder to the table where her friend sat, struggling with the after-effects of last night's drinking.

"Friend Cesare, listen close now..."

She waited until he made eye contact with her before speaking. But when she did, she revealed another talent of hers. While her voice wasn't loud, nor carrying far, she spoke in the same intonation and cadence as Bluebell. In fact, Lyric sounded as nearly identical as the young girl did when she spoke the same words to them all just a little bit ago. Chose your eyes and it very well could have been Bluebell speaking.

"For the boy, it's complicated. But I was told to tell you this. When Miss Lori calls for dinner. Last Door. Last Room. Open it. No sooner or later. A life depends on this."

After the words were spoken she smiled at the young girl and kissed her on the top of her head again.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Ooohh but his head hurts. But his ears seem to have unclogged and his brain is functioning behind the pain.

He focuses on Lyric as she asks and even manages a smile, albeit briefly.

"When Lori calls dinner, open last door last room."

He repeats it to show he has heard and understood, though not completely..

"And that is dinner tonight? And this door, is it here in the inn?"

He tries to recall the layout but can't remember very much of last night. He will need to investigate.. but maybe later.

Online Away
Lyric

At his further queries, Lyric mildly shrugs while holding the girl.

"I do not think she knows more than what she was told," came the first part of the reply. "But, Yes... My thought would be that the door to a room that must be opened at a very specific moment, no sooner and no later than the a call to mealtime issued by a woman working here, would be in this very Inn."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Bluebell

Leaning gently back into Lyric's protective embrace, she lets her attention be easily stolen by the comings and goings of the tavern. It was like everything was new to her - and it probably was - as Bordertown's less advantaged could never afford the Dragonstooth's cheapest drink let alone dare peek in the door without a Very Good Reason. Every so often she would rise to her tiptoes, all wide-eyed, as an unusual patron pushed their way through the commons hall door.

She does, however, pay a bit of attention to the words shared between Lyric and Cesare.

"Oh! It gots to be tonight, right? Because tonight is Midwinter's and that's when everything special happens. Folks are nicer to each other and we can usually get a fish cake for a smile, at least until tomorrow night.

"I wish it was like that every day."

Her nose scrunched up again, as she thought very, very hard.

"It must be tonight because he said he had lots to do and no time to do it."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He tries a smile at the little girl. At least he hopes it's a smile.

"OK I think I have that. And would you like a fish cake now?"

He knows what it is like to be poor. There were times when his small family unit struggled to get work and times were hard. He knows hunger and the dreams of having a taste of luxury, even for a moment.

Online Away
Lyric

As Cesare occupied the attention of the child with any to procure some kind of delectable that she craved, Lyric tried to garner the attention of the others gathered closely to her... without too much outside attention.

She leaned around the girl, "Keiko, Tomomi?"

"Bekkah?"

Cesare was right there beside her, his attention was already focused , albeit a bit... fuzzy perhaps. She kept her voice low. More people were coming into the common room and the background din was increasing. Furthermore, Bekkah's sister and her conversation in the middle of the room, with the other woman should serve to focus attention in their own direction. She spoke quietly, as if leaning forward also helped to lessen the chance of being overheard.

"Given what we know or surmise about our friend in need, having seen how he speaks important things to people, then we can assume that he has given us everything he can, and that things he has sent Blue to say to each of us might also apply to all of us.... Parts of it, that is."

She looked around her and continued, "Each a task, but bits of important information that applies to us all... First we must decide if we will help him. I would think this is an easy decision. But some might be hesitant because we what have been told leaves much unrevealed... as plans go. BUT, let me restate. He was told us what he can, what he felt the girl could remember...AND, it is his plan, not ours."

"Things we think we can know... Something terrible is happening or could happen. He is scared, worried. Emmi is not with him. Either he is in danger or she is... or both. Her special talent would allow her to find him no matter where he is, unless she is unable to do so... His talent allows him to move through the shadows. Something is keeping them apart. Our friend has seldom expressed his fear despite the very dangerous nature of what we recently undertook in the great Forest of the World. This is important, and he is telling us everything he can. He has a plan. We don't know it yet. But I can tell his words make the frame of a plan and he needs us to be his hands in this."

"Do we need to know more at this moment? Or is it that we would like to know more? The latter is true. Of course we want to know more. BUT, we don't need to know more as long as we TRUST our friend."

Lyric looked to each of them.

"You trusted me when I created a plan to help free the Forestkin and end the evil and cruelty of the Dark Masters and their Dwarven Minions. You didn't know me well at all. You didn't know if I had a talent for plans and strategy or not. But, you trusted me."

"So now, I ask, among ourselves... Do we trust Dommi? Can we accept that he has a plan, as I believe he does, and that he has told us all he can for this moment. My answer is easy. He trusted me and so, I trust him. We can take what we know, what he has told us already, and ready ourselves as his plan dictates..."

"We are friends... He is our friend. He needs help. Now is not the time to overthink things we can't know yet. But, instead, we will do the things that he needs, and understanding will be revealed..."

"Do we trust Dommi?"

Lyric's answer had already been given. Her asking sounded more like a rallying cry, delivered low and softly.

(OOC: to save time I am breaking this up but continuing. Real life has slowed some folks in posting, but I feel we can get deeper into this plot if we take a few steps as granted here. so I am adding more in terms of what would come after our fellowship coming to agreement that we act to save a friend.)

"Has anyone seen Hinata Cat? His aid might be helpful in this, if he hasn't gotten himself into too much trouble already, that is."

Lyric adjusted which of Blue's shoulders she was speaking overm "Lady Bekkah? Would you be willing and able to speak with your sister and her companion. Guide them and steer them to join us. Dommi has included them in his plan and thus it is important they know what we know... and the other way around around."

Back to the other shoulder, "Friend Keiko, your lore knowledge seems crucial here. A mention of something or someone called the Other? A Hill where 'every' happens? How far is it from here? Dommi's instructions are clear on timing marks... Dinner call and the the first moment of Her setting."

"And the task you have been given... warn the Grandfathers. This sounds very important if we are to succeed. These Grandfathers might very well have the knowledge we lack, and it could be Dommi's way of giving us a way to know the things we need to know and spare him the words passed through Bluebell."

"Cesare... Yours sounds like a task of simple timing, but I imagine there is more to this. No sooner, no later. Precision. Dommi knows you commanded that kind of strength in the gear room. Even when things became... unpredictable. I imagine that something unpredictable will happen there and then."

"It is morning now and so we know the amount of time we have left to us to prepare ourselves before actions outside our control begin to happen around us. How do we get the info we need, without getting lost in trying to sort the things we don't need to know... Yet? One of the first things I can think of needing to know is 'Where is this Hill'. That tells us how long it will take us to get from here to there, and knowing that can allow us to act in accordance with the amount of time there is from Lori's call for dinner and the first moment of sunset."

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
AJ
AJ
Hertfordshire, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,436
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy