DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: nem Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 17:00 UTC
Welcome to the biannual genre survey at DreamLyrics.

Usually I lament the rapid passage of time between now and the previous survey 6 months ago, but this time around I have to say the past half a year felt like a looong slog, work-wise at least.

So I'm very glad to be GMing another message game after a long hiatus; it's been a very enjoyable diversion. That was a Science Fiction game, in response to the previous genre survey (see below). Meaning the genre survey prompted two new games! That's great news.

Q4 2014 Genre Survey

What are we going to vote for this time? Will the results yield results?

As before, you get 2 votes. Cast away!
Posted By: Wolf Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 17:10 UTC
The other is ... interesting premise game ... for example Mina's threatened Rose+Thorn or LSD games ... even though both deal with traditional archetypes they allow and almost demand fresh new interpretations
Posted By: nem Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 17:18 UTC
I was thinking about posting another survey about message game type; whether people wanted short games, long games, fast/slow games, more gamistry, more role-play, etc.

But then I decided most people's answer would be, they just want good games and more of them, and the criteria above probably aren't hugely relevant to what people "fancy".

What do you think?
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 17:48 UTC
I would be curious to know the answers to the second survey. But like you I am not sure how hugely relevant they would be.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 19:25 UTC
As long as there is an option on the second survey that sez "every time I can get on, my games are ready for me to post again", then I would be happy to cast a vote in that one <chuckle>
Posted By: Nivek Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 19:37 UTC
Being retired and all Mike, if you ran some games you could make that wish come true smile
Posted By: MikeD Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 20:45 UTC
not necessarily <g> And ... been there, done that ... didn't go well <sigh>
Posted By: Nivek Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 20:53 UTC
Yeah, I resemble that remark.
Posted By: AJ Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 22:07 UTC
My other is a political/diplomatic style game, think Game of Thrones with players running the Great Houses or Babylon 5 with each player the ambassador for an entire species. The fate of your people rest on your shoulders, and your wits are all that lies between triumph and oblivion.
Posted By: ividia Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Fri 17/04/15 23:03 UTC
I just want time to play at all. Sigh.
Posted By: nem Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sat 18/04/15 07:24 UTC
Hehe, nice one, MikeD.

But truly, one thing stands out to me about role-playing gamers, is that they're not actually that choosy, they just want to play. smile
Posted By: MikeD Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sat 18/04/15 12:59 UTC
Well if that is the case, why did my game close so precipitously <sigh>
Posted By: nem Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sun 19/04/15 16:54 UTC
That I do not know, MikeD. But probably the same reason most message games close before finishing, I can only guess, it didn't complete quick enough.

I think a message game is like OutRun. You have a course to complete (the adventure), but the clock is counting down (everyone's interest). If you don't complete in time, it's Game Over.

Every message game has a time limit, we just don't know what it is. Since you don't have the clock ticking down in the corner, you have to constantly drive hard.

And now for some OutRun. zoiks
Posted By: MikeD Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sun 19/04/15 17:03 UTC
I wish that had been the case Neil. Sadly, while I might be great at F2f GMing, I have conceded the fact that I am not cut out to run games here. I would suggest you ask Nicki, but sadly she is no longer here to confirm my inadequacies.
Posted By: nem Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sun 19/04/15 17:13 UTC
Well OK, then going by my OutRun theory, you'd be best to run a game that's really really quick! jk

i.e., The kind of thing you'd run at a gaming con. Imagine you have a 2 hour slot.

And you shouldn't take Nicki's opinion to heart, he was a tough player. We had to agree to disagree once, which is why he left TVS, for instance.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sun 19/04/15 19:35 UTC
Hmmm, that =might= be something to consider ... but lemme ask, how many games can you count that survived the loss of a player? Lots <wink>
Posted By: nem Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sun 19/04/15 21:32 UTC
True. But all I'm saying is that even if Nicki did say you were an inadequate GM -- which wouldn't have been his style anyway -- I wouldn't take it to heart. smile

You shouldn't do yourself down, basically.
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sun 19/04/15 22:26 UTC
I also wish to point out that I have run many message games. Only one Children of the Bush completed successfully. It was a short con style run. I highly recommend it. A module is good too.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Sun 19/04/15 23:07 UTC
Nicki wasn't 'evil' or 'harsh', but expressed what seemed to be a consensus. As I said, one player dropping out doesn't normally end a game. The fact that it fell apart with her exit made it clear that there was something missing <shrug>

And this was =way= early in the game ... a few weeks if I remember correctly <sigh> I am quite prepared to accept my limitations.
Posted By: nem Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Mon 20/04/15 18:21 UTC
Well I think that settles it!

You definitely can run a game, but you're gonna need a training montage first.

Let's begin.

Posted By: MikeD Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Mon 20/04/15 18:40 UTC
Just shoot me now <chuckle>
Posted By: nem Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Mon 20/04/15 21:15 UTC
It may not be easy, but with faith and a bit of self-belief, you can do it!

Posted By: MikeD Re: Q2 2015 Genre Survey - Please Vote - Mon 20/04/15 22:25 UTC
See my post above <g>
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post