DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Neptune N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 14/04/16 20:59 UTC
DM
This crag is a prominent landmark in the rugged hills northeast of the Sword Mountains, and is easily visible from twenty miles away. The tor is clearly visible from the Old Owl Well. You are only about ten miles away. It is still morning so you've determined that you'll make it there long before dusk. The trip is uneventful as the way there is somewhat flat even though the large hill is surrounded by rugged terrain. But now that you are there, you need to find the orc camp. They could be anywhere. What do you do?
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 14/04/16 21:32 UTC
(OOC - Bang on my shield and yell "Orcs!"? Oh, sorry, wrong game lol )
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/04/16 10:39 UTC
Jaliera

"I'll send Whisper to scout the area to see if she picks up anything."

She talks to her little friend and sends the bird aloft.

"What are we thinking? Making an assault? Finding a vantage point and observing numbers and general behaviour? "

She looks around at the others to see what their general demeanour is.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/04/16 15:43 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn seemed thoughtful.

"Let's see if they conform to the pattern, bugbear leadership element or similar. A good idea of numbers will help, the last thing we want is to be overcome by these savages."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/04/16 17:59 UTC
Davroar

He is looking a little bit nervous when Kriv comments about the possibility of being overrun by amount of orcs that could be living here. It is a good idea though to find out as much as they can before they all try to venture inside.

"I could try to get inside as a rat. Long as orcs aren't hungry if I'm spotted..."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/04/16 20:48 UTC
[ooc: Zeim, our FTF game isn't for a few weeks still wink ]

[ooc2: Gypsy, I'll need you to roll your owl's perception roll]
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/04/16 21:28 UTC
(I need a Lingo post in my thread)
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 16/04/16 08:37 UTC
Chandan

He's glad to be leaving Kost to his own devices, and back on the trail of Gundren Rockcutter.

Wyvern Tor could be a tough nut to crack though, and even if they can capture a orc, extracting directions to Cragmaw Castle is likely to involve unpleasantness.

Could trickery gain them the information without bloodshed? They still have the Redbrand cloaks and some insider knowledge about the Spider. The success of such a ruse would depend on the allegiance of the Wyvern Tor orcs. If they are loyal to, or at least fearful of the Spider, it might just work.

Chandan shares his thoughts on the way over, so that by the time they're in the tor's shadow, his companions have some idea of his idea.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 16/04/16 19:13 UTC
Kriv

Though hardly welcoming to anything of that particular origin, the Dragonborn did at least give the idea due consideration.

"Subterfuge? Possible. A great many unknowns, so a high degree of risk. We know the Ruffians were all human, and if I recall correctly, all male. It would be commiting yourself and Davroar, or just yourself if we conduct Davroar's reconnaissance by rat at the same time, lest we tip our hand through basic discrepancies. If you're willing to take that risk, I have no objection to trying."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 17/04/16 08:01 UTC
Chandan

He nods to Kriv. They may have little time to discuss the finer points, since they've yet to locate the raider's camp. As a party they need to be gone by nightfall, or they'll be sitting ducks for an orc attack.

Chandan turns to Davroar.

"If we find the camp and I go in, you could come with me as an animal with big teeth perhaps? May help convince them." He suggests, then bows his head to Jaliera, "Meanwhile, we rely on your owl to guide us."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 17/04/16 08:48 UTC
[Ooc will do!

perception = 19
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 17/04/16 08:48 UTC
Davroar

"The goblins used wolves as guard dogs. I could accompany you in that form Chandan - you as a Redbrand and myself as a gift to the orcs. It might work, but as Kriv said, it'll be risky."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 18/04/16 20:39 UTC
DM

While the others discuss possible strategies, Whisper flies around the large hill while Jaliera looks through her owl eyes. The young trickster has only started to become acclimated to sight through another's eyes. The first issue that she finds is that she needs to be within 100 feet of the owl to see out of it's eyes or communicate telepathically with it. That distance is much shorter than she needs it to be to scout such a large area. She also learns that she loses her ability to see and hear when this connection to the owl is made.

ooc: FYI, you rolled a success on the perception roll but what it means is that you'll be within only a few hundred feet away from the orcs when you do find them. I'll allow for you to role play it as you deal with the sight/telepathy and the related blindness issue. Also, even if you failed the roll, you would have gotten another roll and another and another. Each time you rolled would mean an hour of search time was used.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 19/04/16 10:42 UTC
Jaliera

As Whisper returns, she strokes and praises the little owl before turning to the others.

"That was weird. I was seeing through her eyes. Wonderful experience but in some ways limiting. She can only go so far and keep in contact with me, so only local scouting works. Also means that's all I can see or hear is through her. Could leave me a bit vulnerable. And no sign of the orcs that close. Which in some ways is good, in others not so good."

She frowns slightly, wondering how she might do better.

"And I hear your plan.. but I don't like it. We are stronger together. We've had trouble when we get separated, so to do it on purpose doesn't seem such a great idea. If it works, great. But if it doesn't, could be a total disaster."

She looks concerned.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 19/04/16 17:21 UTC
Chandan

To see through the eyes of others is one of the foundations of true wisdom. What wisdom might a small, crepuscular bird convey? After all, owls are noted to be wise.

Chandan doesn't dwell too long on the thought. They have a more pressing concern.

"Maybe you right. But until we find orc camp, it not matter either way." He says.

He leads on, plotting a route around the tor. If orcs have occupied the summit, they will have found the easiest way up and down, and that will have worn a footpath that they can follow. They just have to cross it first.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 20/04/16 06:36 UTC
Davroar

"Instead of being in direct contact with Whisper, could you let her go scouting on her own to cover more ground?"

He is not sure just how intelligent the owl is, yet hopes that Whisper could follow at least some simple commands when not directly controlled and then report back to Jaliera.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 20/04/16 19:29 UTC
Jaliera

"Don't know. I could try."

She pictures orcs, pictures Whisper flying in the sky and seeing them down below and after keeping a safe distance, returning back to her.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/04/16 01:30 UTC
DM

Whisper seems to understand and starts to fly away and disappears from Jaliera's mental view. The young rogue's eyes blink into focus and she seems momentarily startled as the transition occurs and her view suddenly changes.

The group waits now. Every so often they see Whisper make a turn over the mountain or rise from a tree. Eventually, a good hour later, she returns and approaches to with thirty feet away. Jaliera is able to reconnect with Whisper who is flapping her wings excitedly. As soon as the connection is made, familiar turns and starts to lead the group toward the mountain.

The faint smell of smoke hangs on the air as you ascend a rugged ridge on the lower slopes of the hill. Fifty yards away, a cave mouth opens up at the bottom of a ravine. Hunkered down by a boulder twenty yards outs ide the cave, keeping watch , is a single orc.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/04/16 07:49 UTC
Kriv

Quietly,

"A lone watchman would change things, if he is truly alone. Options include dropping him before he raises the alarm, or trying the Redbrand ruse on him alone."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/04/16 13:12 UTC
Jaliera

She makes a fuss of Whisper, giving her small friend a tidbit for being so clever.

"To take him out we would need distance attacks.. and be sure of succeeding. My bow would probably reach. Magic.. maybe?"

She looks at Kallista to see what she thinks.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/04/16 14:16 UTC
ooc: I need stealth rolls for the entire team, excluding Whisper.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/04/16 15:47 UTC
Kallista

Moving quietly she follows along and once they spot the Orc she ducks back out of sight so they can plan.

Kallista Stealth
Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 15
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/04/16 16:13 UTC
Kriv stealth (disadvantage)
AJ rolled d20-1,d20-1 and got 10, 1
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/04/16 18:29 UTC
[Oops, scratch that, I'll wait for the results I guess.
Chandan stealth
nemarsde rolled 1d20+3 and got 14]
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 23/04/16 06:58 UTC
Davroar

He will quickly find cover with the others and hopes they have not been spotted yet.

Davroar Stealth
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 12
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 24/04/16 18:44 UTC
Jaliera

Jaliera Stealth
Gypsy rolled 1d20+7 and got 15
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 25/04/16 11:01 UTC
DM

Kriv is unable to keep completely quiet and the orc thinks he hears something so he starts to look about. But with the help of others, he is able to duck away and soon after, the orc returns to his business of doing nothing and looking bored.

you made your group stealth, DC 10
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 25/04/16 13:26 UTC
Kallista

Once they are all back out of sight with no sign of alarm from the Orc, she asks. "Do you want to talk to him or take him out quietly?"
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 25/04/16 16:09 UTC
Kriv

Cold, reptilian eyes settled on Chandan.

"Well? It would be your life at risk in the attempt. Do you wish to try, or do we just kill it?"
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 25/04/16 19:52 UTC
Chandan

He twizzles his grey hair. It's a riddler.

"A lone sentry, his only job to alert his cohorts.

"If we approach to parley, so they will be alerted.

"Yet if we kill him, we cannot question him, and will have to question the orcs in the cave instead. They might not like us killing their sentry." He says quietly, summarising the problem.

The old monk looks up at the sky for clairty, then nods.

"Only solution, knock out the sentry without him seeing us, drag him away for questioning."

How might they achieve such a thing?

[Can you do non-lethal damage with a bludgeoning attack btw?]
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 25/04/16 20:06 UTC
[Yes, you can declare any melee attack as nonlethal at no penalty, Kriv did so a few times in the first battles to get prisoners.]
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 25/04/16 20:07 UTC
Kallista

"Not a problem", she says. "If that what you want to do I'll take care of it." She looks around to see what the consensus is.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 26/04/16 03:51 UTC
Davroar

"Sounds good to me. Let's do it now while we got the daylight."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 26/04/16 07:14 UTC
[How about ranged bludgeoning attacks, frex, from a spell? Can they be done non-lethally?]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 26/04/16 11:29 UTC
Jaliera

"And I have a sleep spell if that might be useful? And Whisper might be able to provide a distraction if we need one?"

Taking the sentry alive seems very sensible to her. Getting information will help.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 26/04/16 13:30 UTC
Kallista

She nods to Jaliera. Clearly the girls is coming to terms with her new magical abilities. "Yes. That was my thought as well. Put him to sleep and then sneak up and gag and bind him and take him away."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 27/04/16 11:45 UTC
OOC: Non-lethal melee works. Range damage attacks of any kind cannot be. But there are non-lethal spells. Sleep is an example. Also, if you had a net or something like that, I might consider.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 27/04/16 11:48 UTC
Jaliera

"Well then I'll try to get close enough to use sleep. Whisper can fly a distraction run if I need her too."

She studies the terrain for a good approach.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 27/04/16 12:19 UTC
Kriv

He nodded his assent, watching over her progress as she went.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 27/04/16 15:16 UTC
ooc: Gypsy, I'll need another single stealth roll for you, DC 10 (should be a piece of cake unless the dice-roller has it in for you). If you succeed, roll your dice for sleep. The orc has only 15 HPs.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 27/04/16 19:33 UTC
Chandan

They're fortunate to have young people with such useful talents in their party. Chandan nods approvingly to Kallista and Jaliera, then starts warming up his throwing arm in case he has to hurl his spear.

"This should work. That orc definitely need his beauty sleep!" He says as encouragement.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 28/04/16 12:15 UTC
Jaliera

She is careful, watching where she puts her feet, using cover and shadow to her advantage, moving slowly and smoothly from one spot to another, checking the orc to ensure he is still unaware. And she is ready to send Whisper towards the orc as a distraction if she needs to.

But she is so stealthy that she believes she could have walked up to him and kissed him without him noticing. Of course he could just be a very bad guard!

Once in range, she recalls her magic and waggles her fingers in the orc's direction.

Jaliera Stealth
Gypsy rolled 1d20+7 and got 27 (max)

Jaliera Sleep
Gypsy rolled 9d8 and got 45

As the orc slumps, she moves quickly to him and starts to tie him up, keeping watch for any others around. At her instruction Whisper flies on her own overwatch to help.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 28/04/16 21:22 UTC
DM

Indeed, the orc never saw Jalieram but Jaliera saw it and it was a grimy, ugly, smelly and obviously dumb creature. It slumped over and fell off the rock it was sitting on. While she could have gotten close enough to kiss it, she has to battle the acrid odor that it gave off to get close enough to tie it up.

While the others were still about 50 yards away, almost within arrow range, Jaliera was there, up close and personal, trying to tie him up. Whisper flew overhead to keep a look out for some trouble. She tried to work fast because all it would take for the orc to awaken is to be jostled.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 29/04/16 00:58 UTC
Davroar

Watching Jaliera sneak up unseen and put the orc asleep with her magic, he starts to move down and says, "She's going to need help carrying the orc..."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 29/04/16 07:16 UTC
Chandan

For some reason he had expected hypnotic swirling lights, more magical spectacle, and is surprised when the orc topples over. In the wilds, spellcasters seem to make less show of their magic than their mountebank cousins in the cities.

So the old monk hurries to catch up with Jaliera, saying to Davroar, "Yes. Me and you, we grab him."

Grab the sleeping orc, carry him off for questioning, somewhere out of earshot. That's the plan.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 29/04/16 07:20 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn remained on overwatch, his hands poised to invoke the mudras of spellcraft should the humans need covering fire if their antics drew attention from the orc pit.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 29/04/16 15:55 UTC
Kallista

She moves quietly up as well, motioning to those approaching the Orc to gag him first.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 29/04/16 18:41 UTC
Quite presumptuous about you "getting there". The distance is 50 yards (150 feet). You all move 30 feet. That's 5 rounds - 3 if you use double moves or 2 if you move faster. At this point you're closing the gap - not there yet.

DM

Jaliera starts to carefully bind the orc's hands and manages to get the rope around it's wrists but that act starts to waken it. His hands will be bound but that unless Jaliera acts fast, that's all that will be bound when he awakens.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 30/04/16 11:28 UTC
Jaliera

Grabbing some of the rope, she stuffs it into the orc's mouth and then ties it in place, keeping her weight pressing down to hold him still.

"If you make a noise I will blind you."

She hisses at the orc, keeping her voice low and hoping he understands.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 30/04/16 13:29 UTC
OOC: That sounds like an intimidate roll to me wink
Rope isn't going to make a great gag but I'll say it'll work, but there are other ways. We can have some fun with those if your intimidate roll fails.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 01/05/16 01:54 UTC
Davroar

Davroar will try to pick up his pace to reach Jaliera when the orc wakes up and Jaliera struggles to keep it quiet.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 01/05/16 08:08 UTC
Jaliera

Jaliera Intimidate
Gypsy rolled 1d20+1 and got 14
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 01/05/16 16:48 UTC
DM
The orc was surprised to be waking up. It did not remember falling asleep. And now he wakes up to a human female practically sitting on top of him shoving rope in his mouth. It's first thoughts were about how to kill her but as he tried to move his hands to reach for her neck, he found out that they were bound and so were his legs. He squirmed and tried to wrestle her off, even as she ordered him to keep quiet. For the briefest moment he considered her words but then his eyes squinted in anger and he tried to let out a muffled cry for help.

The green-eyed rouge pushes the rope harder into it's mouth and tries hard to keep him quiet and steady but the orc is strong.

OOC: I had that as a DC 15 intimidate, aka moderate. So you did not succeed. Now it's going to try and get away, but orc is restrained, which means:

• A restrained creature's speed becomes 0, and it can't benefit from any bonus to its speed.
  • Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature's attack rolls have disadvantage.
  • The creature has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

Jaliera, who has the clear upper hand, is grappling with it. The orc's objective of the orc is to get free enough to make noise and alert the others. Jaliera's is to keep it still enough to prevent the orc's allies from hearing things. It'll be a strength contest and Jaliera gets to make 2 rolls and keep the better of the two against one roll by the orc. The orc's strength is 16 so it gets a +3. Jaliera isn't quite as strong and gets no pluses. So roll 2 separate 1d20 rolls and one of them needs to beat this:

orc strength
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 7

Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 02/05/16 12:51 UTC
Jaiera

She cannot let it get free!

Jaliera Strength
Gypsy rolled 1d20,1d20 and got 14, 9

She feels she has let the group down. She has always been good at moving quietly and mostly unseen. It has helped her avoid trouble in the past and she knew she had done well in her approach to the orc. If she had been thinking she would have waited for the others before starting to tie it up. But full of confidence she just leapt straight in and now could be in trouble. All of them could!

She fights with a desperation to try to make amends.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 02/05/16 15:34 UTC
DM
The orc is restrained but it's big, burly and upset that a pip-squeak human female got the better of him. He's more accustomed to it being the other way around and that infuriates him.

But her allies are getting closer and with luck she should be able to keep him under control until they reach her. Keeping his voice muffled is the top priority.

ooc: To make this go a bit quicker, I've rolled twice for the orc.
orc strength - twice
Neptune rolled 1d20+3,1d20+3 and got 13, 5

Gypsy, two more strength rolls - with advantage (2 rolls each time) to keep the orc under control. After the rolls, if you beat his twice, the party will have reached you. Everyone else can post at that time.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 03/05/16 12:37 UTC
Jaliera

Jaliera strength
Gypsy rolled 1d20,1d20,1d20,1d20 and got 3, 12, 20, 8

Ooops
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 03/05/16 16:33 UTC
DM
The orc gathers itself for a serious attempt to break free from Jaliera and with that surge, he manages to throw her off of him for a moment and with her hands off the rope and her off of him, he is able to roll away and spit out the gag. No brave orc would call for help. They did not think that way. Instead, he calls out "ATTACK!!!!" and hopes that his companions hear it. The rest of Jaliera's party certainly heard it as they race towards her.

OOC: So the fail was in the 1st round and the action of trying to keep the orc still will be Jaliera's action for that round. She can take another action for that second round. The orc on the ground was still restrained but is break trying to break free. His friends are likely to poke their heads out of the cave shortly.

As for the rest of you, you are close enough for a single round of action in that 2nd round. Please declare your readiness and actions as you anticipate the upcoming battle.

Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 03/05/16 17:01 UTC
Kriv

On overwatch, the Dragonborn took the guttural shout from the watchman with grim acceptance. Given the smallest opportunity, it had fulfilled its duty, which in and of itself was laudable, but it was up to them now to make him regret it. The cave entrance would make a useful choke point: He resolved to blanket it in fire as soon as targets presented themselves.

Ready to use Burning Hands if in range of the entrance and multiple targets present themselves, else Fire Bolt if not in range or a single target emerges.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 03/05/16 18:40 UTC
Kallista

Coming up the hill with the others, she can see Jaliera losing control of the Orc. She readies an area spell expecting to see an unknown number of orcs come rushing out of the cave any moment.

(OOC - Readying Web or Sleep depending on the tactical situation.)
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 04/05/16 15:38 UTC
Jaliera

She is still determined to keep the orc as quiet as possible and retain him as a prisoner. With very little thought for her own safety, she launches herself on him again to try to regain control.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 04/05/16 19:50 UTC
Chandan

Killing raiders is not something the old monk has qualms about. They're a menace. However, he's sworn to rescue Gundren and Chandan won't achieve that if he gets himself killed.

So being away with the orc sentry as prize is still his first priority.

[Chandan will attempt a non-lethal attack on the orc sentry, unless more urgent threat presents.]
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 05/05/16 05:17 UTC
Davroar

He knows he can shape-change into a brown bear in an instant as his best offensive form, but he holds off hoping that they can silence the single orc quickly enough to pull it away.

Davroar will try to position himself so as to prevent the orc from escaping, and wait to see if both Jaliera and Chandan can regain control over the orc.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 06/05/16 05:00 UTC
DM
Maybe the orcs allies inside the cave heard something, but they are orcs, and they weren't the sharpest blades in the scabbard. They probably thought the noise was ole' Zog tripping over a rock or something because nobody from inside has poked his head out the cave mouth. Orcs group perception (DC 15) Neptune rolled 1d20,1d20,1d20,1d20,1d20,1d20,1d20,1d20-2 and got 13, 14, 1, 9, 3, 19, 16, 0 - They FAIL!!!

Meanwhile Jaliera, determined as ever to conquer this orc, launches herself at him as he squirms on the ground trying to free himself from the ropes. orc escape the ropes (dex vs DC 15) Neptune rolled 1d20+1 and got 18. She realizes how perilous the situation was getting when she see him slip a hand out of the rope and kick a leg out. Lucky for her, he's still on the ground and prone, so she has the advantage she was looking for ooc: The orc escaped the grapple. Roll to hit, with advantage, because it's prone and still tied. If you hit, he's grappled again. If you miss, he'll be able to pull the rope out of his mouth and call for help.

Chandan is racing forward, hopping from rock to log on his way towards the wrestling waif. He realizes that he won't get close enough to attack with his hands and he knows that there's no way to be sure that his range attacks don't kill it. It'll take 2 rounds to close. You only move 40' and they are 90' away wink So, even with a double move, it's only 80'. Also, range attacks are always lethal unless they are special, like a net or a whip. However, he can close on Jaliera and the orc. If the orc somehow manages to escape. And by the looks of it, there's a good chance that that happens. Soon, with Jaliera in danger, he'll need to make a choice.

Kriv and Kallista realize that they will not need to use their magic just yet but that they might need to do so soon. They have to decide if they are going to get closer so that they can enter melee or use all their powers. Jaliera looks like she's in trouble. They are some distance still - at least 2 rounds away from direct melee. If they want to engage, they will need to approach with distance appropriate for their spells or attacks. They started 50 yards away from the cave mouth (150'). The orc sentry was 20 yards outside the cave so Jaliera and the orc are 90' away. Since there was no trigger, I'll allow a double move. You can, of course, decide not to move at all.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 06/05/16 08:00 UTC
Kriv

Never send a Human to do a vital job. He moved swiftly to close the distance.

Double move.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 06/05/16 10:14 UTC
Jaliera

She is so kicking herself and is so determined to make good if she can.

Jaliera Strength
Gypsy rolled 1d20,1d20 and got 20, 16

Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 06/05/16 17:30 UTC
DM
With determination and a focused resolve, Jaliera dives on the orc just as he was trying to loosen his legs and get up. She manages to knock him down, straddle him and tries to get the rope in his mouth and cram it back in all in one acrobatic move. He's grappled and restrained and gagged again. But he's strong and she won't be able to hold him down for long, but maybe it's long enough for the others to arrive and assist.
ooc: I want to hear the declarations from the rest of the team before moving forward.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 06/05/16 17:51 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn intended to assist with forcing the Orc into submission long enough for it to be actually secured this time.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 07/05/16 07:31 UTC
[Double moving, then helping Jaliera elope with our orc.]

Chandan

An oblique blow to the chin or a strangle hold would be the monk's approach to pacifying the orc, but he's delighted to see that Jaliera's horse-wrangling technique works for her.

Chandan aims to help her then, to get the orc and go, possibly with Davroar's aid too.

"Even the flight of the eagle starts with ungainly hop." He says to Jaliera in encouragement once he's near enough to assist.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 07/05/16 11:17 UTC
lol elope??
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 07/05/16 13:11 UTC
[ooc: I think he's referring to this: "She manages to knock him down, straddle him and tries to get the rope in his mouth...". It did sound a bit 50 Shades of Gray-ish when I penned it wink ]
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 07/05/16 16:21 UTC
[Monks can marry people, can't they?]
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 07/05/16 16:38 UTC
Kallista

She moves only slightly closer (60'), and to where she has a clear view of the cave entrance and where she has the option to use her Web or Sleep spell depending on the need.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 11/05/16 06:30 UTC
Davroar

Seeing Jaliera managing to trip up the orc temporarily, he will keep up with Chandan and be ready to help in restraining the orc as quickly and quietly as possible.

[ooc: double-move as well ]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 12/05/16 15:55 UTC
DM

The struggle between the young rogue and the orc guard turns back in favor of Jaliera and she still has advantage, but the orc was coming free and had let out a yelp. The orc thrashes and tries to roll her off him to get himself freed. Jaliera has to work very hard to keep the rope jammed in it's fanged mouth.
Orc strength to free himself from Jaliera
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 6
Jaliera gets 2 rolls of a 1d20 to keep him held because she has the advantage right now. That "6" should be easy to beat ... but we'll see. Famous last words and all that wink

The rest of the party has closed in on the pair and are now within range of the cave mouth and the wrestlers. Chandan hasn't quite made it to the pair but he'll be there shortly. Next round he can reach them - same for the rest of the party.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 13/05/16 12:01 UTC
Jaliera

She is so determined!

Jaliera Strength
Gypsy rolled 1d20,1d20 and got 20, 13
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 13/05/16 14:17 UTC
DM

When Chandan gets to Jaliera and the orc to help out, he finds the rogue on top of the struggling orc, riding him like a skilled horse trainer trying to break a young stallion. She's hanging on with every last vestige of her strength, trying to keep him under control. Chandan is able to quickly tighten the ropes and, in short order, the orc is well muzzled, bound and gagged tightly by the pair.

Now what?
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 14/05/16 07:31 UTC
Chandan

Kallista and Kriv are on guard, should the rest of the orcs attack, allowing Chandan and Davroar to concentrate on carrying away the sentry. Jaliera's a capable archer, so she should keep her bow handy.

But the dishevelled monk simply says, "We go."

If everyone is in agreement, he'll take their orc captive north-west. It's roughly in the direction of town, and there is another large hill that might give them a vantage or a sheltered side, should they need it.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 14/05/16 08:44 UTC
Kriv

He nodded his assent: Securing the sentry for interrogation and silent entry was why they had acted. Taking him, questioning him, then assaulting the unguarded cave were in order.

He remained on overwatch, covering the retrieval.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 15/05/16 07:45 UTC
Davroar

He simply nods in agreement with Chandan as he helps to pick up the bound orc by its feet, and to quickly exit the area while they have the chance.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 15/05/16 10:34 UTC
Jaliera

She is relieved when the others arrive and finally the orc is safely subdued. As Chandan and Davroar carry the burden she covers their exit with her bow, whilst moving backwards keeping pace with the others. Once back with the others she apologises.

"I'm sorry. I screwed up. I should have waited until you guys arrived before trying to tie him up. I have learned my lesson now."
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 15/05/16 16:02 UTC
Kriv

He nodded a curt agreement, but added,

"You recovered the situation well, and it seems he was unable to rouse the others of his ilk. There are harsher ways to learn. Let's move out of squealing orc earshot, he will likely take some persuasion before telling us what we want to know."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 16/05/16 19:17 UTC
Chandan

As he'd said to Jaliera, even the flight of the eagle starts with an ungainly hop.

And so it is. Besides which, the deed is done.

"Some paths are harder than others, Orc-Wrangler." He says to Jaliera, "But if a path leads to your intended destination, can't have been all wrong."

Chandan sniffs. Then sniffs himself, then the orc. Ever since he had that bath yestereve, the world has seemed a more malodourous place!
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 17/05/16 03:50 UTC
DM
The quintet manage to drag away their orc prisoner but they realize that they'll need to move him far to interrogate him. The orc was defiantly battling as it was being moved. It bucked and squirmed with each step they took. They could be sure that if they removed the gag, it would let out a loud orc scream.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 17/05/16 05:49 UTC
Davroar

When the orc's struggling starts to hamper their progress, Davorar will stop and says, "This guy is slowing us up. I'll make it easier, just lash him up on my back."

Davroar will then shape-shift into a draft horse and patiently wait for the others to secure the orc across his back.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 17/05/16 15:44 UTC
Jaliera

She chuckles.

"Orc-Wrangler! Like the sound of that."

As usual she is letting Whisper fly ahead to scout for them, just to let them know if anything or anyone approaches. Meanwhile she will stay alert covering the prisoner and anyone who approaches with her bow.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 17/05/16 16:23 UTC
Kriv

He trusted himself to secure the prisoner to Davroar's back, securing it as best he could.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 17/05/16 16:39 UTC
DM
Davroar transforms into a horse. Kriv and the rest of the party have to work together to get the orc onto Davroar's back and secure him. Even though it's a struggle, they manage to do it.

What now?
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 17/05/16 17:37 UTC
Chandan

He can't put the orc on the horse's back until he's picked his own jaw off of the ground. Davroar's gift is truly marvellous. Fortunately Kriv's jaw is unmoved and following his example, Chandan is soon lending a hand.

All in all, it isn't a bad catch, and he's impressed that Jaliera and Kallista could knock the creature out at range and with little outward effort.

The old monk grabs his spear and points with it to the hill he's picked out.

"Maybe there." He says, heading in that direction.

Glancing over his shoulder, he catches Kallista's eye. "Watch for pursuit too, yes."
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 17/05/16 18:13 UTC
Kallista

She nods. "Yes." Crouching down in the grass she adds, "I'll keep an eye out and catch up."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 19/05/16 07:05 UTC
Davroar

Resisting the urge to go into a trot, he moves at a walking pace to remain as quiet as possible, going in the direction Chandan has pointed out.

He will keep one ear pointed in the direction of the caves mouth, and the other scanning ahead as they move away.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 23/05/16 11:51 UTC
DM

Davroar trots away with the orc on his back. Orcs are lazy and so nobody in the cave seems to be missing their lookout.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 24/05/16 11:35 UTC
Jaliera

She continues to provide an overwatch until they reach a safe distance out of sight and hearing of the orc base.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 24/05/16 15:08 UTC
OOC: Just to be clear. You have "reach(ed) a safe distance out of sight and hearing of the orc base."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 24/05/16 17:24 UTC
[OK, we need a couple of hard, pipe-hitting brothers to go to work on the orc here with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.]

Chandan

He hurriedly congratulates his companions for a job well done. Jaliera, Davroar, Kallista, they'd all played their part, and now, as Chandan remembers it, Kriv has a knack for interrogation.

The bedraggled monk is a fine listener and has spent much of his life doing little else, but talking is not his forte, let alone in a language learned second-hand.

He steps up beside the reptilian fighter and nods amiably.

"So, now we find out if the orc know where Cragmaw Castle is." He says quietly, then adds, "I still have my spicy sauce if you need it."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 25/05/16 06:35 UTC
Davroar

He will remain as a horse, standing a few yards away, to keep watch now that they are safely away from the orcs cave.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 26/05/16 00:27 UTC
Kriv

Sometimes, coercion through force was a viable option. Sometimes, there were other options. He looked the Orc in the eyes and said,

"Tell us truthfully what we ask, and I will let you fight me, your strength against mine. If you win, you get to take my head back to the cave as a trophy and tell the others how you singlehandedly bested a group of enemies. If you refuse, we take you, trussed up as you are, and throw you on the ground before them, and we tell them how the little human girl beat you. Understand?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 26/05/16 11:55 UTC
OOC: AJ, I'm not sure if that's intimidation or persuasion but it's basically the same roll since you're proficient in both. Please pick one and throw the dice. I'm calling the difficulty class DC 12 - somewhere between medium and easy
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 26/05/16 12:11 UTC
Kriv carrot and stick intimisuasion
AJ rolled 1d20+2 and got 15
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 26/05/16 12:23 UTC
Orc
It glares at the dragonborn with a combination of trepidation and opportunity and sya "ask".
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 26/05/16 13:06 UTC
Kriv

"Cragmaw Keep. You know what it is, where it is, are your tribe working for it?"
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 26/05/16 14:29 UTC
Jaliera

She smothers a smile when Kriv threatens to shame the orc, though it could have been her shame if she hadn't finally bested the orc. So close...
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 26/05/16 21:51 UTC
Orc

"Know not Coogmer Kips is. Many Arrows no care about."

ooc: I'll just toss you this one, with any insight roll you can tell that the orc clearly has no idea what he was asked. He has never heard of Cragmaw Keep. His tribe is "Many Arrows".
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 27/05/16 02:07 UTC
Kriv

It was so much easier to believe that from an Orc rather than a human, no dissembling or concealment. Then again, a tribal sentry wasn't exactly in 'Glasstaff''s league. He nodded curtly.

"Who are the enemies of the Many Arrows? Who are the nearest targets?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 27/05/16 20:26 UTC
Orc
It looks confused for a moment and then said, with a look that indicated it was guessing at the answer, "You. You?".
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 01/06/16 12:23 UTC
????
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 01/06/16 14:37 UTC
Kallista

"Do you know the Black Spider?" She asks.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 01/06/16 15:30 UTC
Jaliera

She has half an ear on the conversation, the rest of her attention is on keeping watch. She hopes they can find out what they need here, it will make things easier.

"Would be good to know how many the Many Arrows are?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 01/06/16 15:58 UTC
Orc

He was already quite intimidated by the other female human and answers the one with horns "Me kill many black spider. Eat spider too".

Then he hears a question about the "Arrows". He seems to know the answer but doesn't know what number goes with the answer. He didn't do well in orc math school. So he answers, as best he can, "more than finger on hand".
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 01/06/16 17:28 UTC
Chandan

He listens and watches, not just the orc but the faces of his companion's too.

Some are fixed on the orc, some are more attentive to the surround.

Their orc captive is proving to be a subpar performer, but a fisherman doesn't always catch minnows or whales, sometimes they just hook a soggy old boot.

Chandan twizzles his hair.

"Who is the leader of your party?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 02/06/16 11:53 UTC
Orc
He struggles with the last question.
"Brughor...no Gog."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 02/06/16 17:19 UTC
Chandan

Nodding sagely, the old man continues.

"Which direction is Many Arrows home from here? How far?" He asks.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 02/06/16 20:31 UTC
Orc

He points to the cave.

Quote:
father was a rolling stone.
Where ever he laid his hat was his home.
And when he died
All he left us was alone.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 03/06/16 06:58 UTC
Davroar

He continues to keep an ear and out for any trouble, but is also listening in to the orc's answers and not liking the quality of information they are getting so far from the dumb orc. It is almost enough to cause him to return to his human form and ask his own questions, but he will hope the others can nail down the orc numbers better since they did promise to deal with the orcs here.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 03/06/16 12:02 UTC
Kallista

She frowns and grunts in frustration. "He knows nothing. Kill him, kill the rest, and let's get back to finding Rockseeker."
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 03/06/16 12:17 UTC
Kriv

"I gave him my word, and he has answered truthfully. So, he gets to fight me. Untie him, then throw his weapon into easy reach."

The Dragonborn hefted his maul and stood ready, a quick glance to Kallista and Jaliera, their experts at range, in case the Orc decided that discretion was the better part of valour.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 03/06/16 13:43 UTC
Jaliera

She is ready and half wishes the orc would bolt. She is not sure what Kriv hopes to gain from this, certainly not to promote his self esteem as she thinks it a stupid move. He risks injury or death and as a group they cannot afford either.

She decides that she did not give her word so she'll wait and see if Kriv needs help.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 03/06/16 14:26 UTC
Chandan

He stands back to watch this rite, if that is what it is. He's a monk, he understands the importance of rites.

But Chandan is also quite preoccupied with what they've learned. Or rather, from what they've not learned, as it seems to tell them more. Once the orc is dealt with, he'll share his thoughts.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 03/06/16 23:05 UTC
DM
The orc, now freed, had no desire to run. It picked up it's great axe, lift's it over it's head and charges at the dragonborn.

orc initiative,hit,damage if it hits
Neptune rolled 1d20+1,1d20+5,1d12+3 and got 19, 18, 6 (looks like a hit and that Kriv will take 6 pts damage.

AJ, roll your initiative, to-hit and damage. If you win initiative, roll your round 2 attack and damage.

The orc is AC 13 and has 15 hp
I think we can bang this melee out quickly.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 04/06/16 06:57 UTC
Davroar

He was ready to run down the orc if it tried to get away, but instead he will back away to allow them to fight.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 04/06/16 22:40 UTC
Kriv

If he seemed concerned as the Orc, fractionally quicker, got in a solid hit with its axe, it certainly didn't show. He swung his Maul sharply, twice. The wet crunch at the end of the second swing said it all.

Kriv Initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 15

Kriv Attack
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 20

Kriv Damage reroll 1 or 2
AJ rolled 1d6 1d6 and got 3, 6 (12 damage)

Kriv Action Surge attack
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 24

Kriv Damage, reroll 1 or 2
AJ rolled 1d6 1d6 and got 3, 6 (12 damage)

Kriv Norixius Bonus action 2nd wind
AJ rolled 1d10+3 and got 12

Regain 6 hitpoints, full health.

"I promised him I'd let him fight me. I had no intention of giving him a chance to win, nor to harm anyone else."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 05/06/16 01:47 UTC
DM
The orc got his shot it but Kriv finished him off easily. They trimmed the enemies numbers by one but they came here to rid the place of the threat and it's still there.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 05/06/16 13:11 UTC
Jaliera

She relaxes as the orc falls. Kriv certainly looks unhurt.

"OK, what now? We should probably take advantage of them not having a sentry, assuming they haven't found that out? Do we try for another prisoner if the opportunity occurs, someone higher up the food chain this time?"

She is still watching their surroundings.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 06/06/16 11:52 UTC
Kallista

She grins evilly. "Well, our Orc said the cave was not that big, so not a cave complex. Why don't we gather some green brush, set it alight, toss it into the cave mouth and then I can block the exit with a Web spell."

She glances at Kriv. "Not honorable combat, no. But simple, effective, and gives us the possibility of killing them all without risk."
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 06/06/16 14:47 UTC
Kriv

He shrugged at the Tiefling, and commented,

"I have no problem with exterminating vermin on principle, but I would prefer to check to see if any useful information can be gleaned first. They might have prisoners we can make enquiries of. Maybe have Davroar scout it out as a rodent, to see if there's any good reason to refrain before we torch them?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 06/06/16 15:13 UTC
Kallista

"Good point. Not good if we inadvertently kill hostages."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 07/06/16 09:47 UTC
Jaliera

"If anyone goes in to scout, we should be ready and close to move to their defence if needed. And if Davroar is willing to go, maybe something flying.. a bat or some such.. might be a little less vulnerable?"

She turns to look at the young druid with an enquiring expression and an edge of concern. She doesn't want to see him hurt.. or worse...
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 07/06/16 12:16 UTC
Kallista

She grins at Davroar as well. "Yes. Orcs are known to not discriminate in their diet. Don't pick something they'll want to eat."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 07/06/16 16:27 UTC
Chandan

With the rite complete, Chandan shares his thoughts on the Many Arrows with his party.

"One thing we have learnt is Cragmaw Keep not around here. Even orc as dumb as this one would know nearby rivals or allies. Predators always know the boundaries of their territory."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 08/06/16 06:08 UTC
Davroar

Returning to his human form, he says to both Jaliera and Kallista, "I'm limited to ground animals, so can't fly away, and anything small is probably a meal to any orc in there. Only thing I can think of is a skunk..."

He shrugs his shoulders unable to think of anything else, and even a skunk might not dissuade a hungry enough orc or bugbear.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 08/06/16 08:55 UTC
Jaliera

She frowns. She considers that too big a risk for Davroar - though it is his call.

"I can send in Whisper.. or scout myself? A skunk is likely to be attacked by the orcs I would think."

She considers.

"Maybe we should all go in but let Whisper fly ahead so we get advanced warning?"
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 08/06/16 11:37 UTC
Kallista

"I will go", she says. "They won't be able to see me."

She pauses a moment. "But wait near the entrance anyway. If you hear me call come quickly, please. Just in case."

(OOC - Sorry, mixed up powers with another version of this PC. She doesn't have the ability to do that here, yet. Deleted Kriv's reply so ignore this post.)
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 09/06/16 06:09 UTC
Davroar

"Best go in numbers. We seem to run into problems splitting up in caves, but if Whisper is willing to fly ahead of us that should give us some warning in there."
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 09/06/16 14:51 UTC
Kriv

"So be it. Whisper to scout, everyone else in range to react swiftly if needed, and we go with Kallista's plan if there are no impediments once we've scouted."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 10/06/16 01:50 UTC
DM

The quintet left the dead orc and headed towards the cave which it was guarding. Ahead of them Jaliera had sent off Whisper to do advance scouting for them. The owl flies off and Jaliera focuses in on what it sees. As the bird flies, Jaliera's eyes gloss over and dart up, down, left and right as Whisper's must be doing. She cannot hear or see while in this mode.

OOC: I'm going to assume, for starters, that you're all over 200 feet away from the cave mouth to start. The maximum range of Jaliera's contact with Whisper in this mode is 100 feet. I'm doing this so you can plot your approach. The owl moves 60, gets +3 to stealth and perception. There are some trees (as you can see) on the way to the cave mouth. I assume that at least one perception roll is needed now ;)You guys start in the bottom left hand corner of the map and Whisper is surrounded by a red circle. These are 10x10 squares.

Attached File
wyvernTor-1.jpg  (3 downloads)
Attached picture wt2.jpg
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 10/06/16 15:38 UTC
Whisper

Whisper Perception
Gypsy rolled 1d20+3 and got 17
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 10/06/16 18:53 UTC
DM

Jaliera, through the eyes of the owl, can see that there's movement at the cave mouth. Whatever is there is trying (poorly) to hide behind the rocks they've piled up there.

orc stealth
Neptune rolled 1d20+1 and got 11
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 11/06/16 13:02 UTC
Jaliera

She maintains her vigilance but whispers to the others.

"Looks like there might be another orc outside. He's hiding - but not well - near the entrance. Probably wondering what happened to the other sentry. We could take them out one by one this way."

She chuckles softly.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 11/06/16 23:58 UTC
Davroar

"Well if can all sneak up to the bushes that line the rock face, when we get closer I can create a distraction like a branch move or a animal sound up to about ten paces away that might draw the orc out to investigate..."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 13/06/16 19:01 UTC
Chandan

He keeps low and quiet. Chandan doesn't doubt the wisdom of his words--- If the orc raiders of the Many Arrows aren't familiar with Cragmaw Keep or the Black Spider, then there must be at least a day's journey separating them.

As the old monk pictures the maps they'd looked at in the inn, he sees only one feature that could keep the Many Arrows and Cragmaw Keep's denizens apart. The town of Phandalin.

Did the town, or traffic to and from the town, act as a buffer between the two bands of humanoids?

Chandan doesn't know the answer, but his companions are right insomuch as the Many Arrows should be dealt with. They are raiders, orcish or otherwise, and their chosen path is evil, doling out death and destruction.

If the party want to put a stop to this evil, Chandan will stand with them and do his part.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 15/06/16 10:47 UTC
OOC: Zeim is away for a week on a cruise so we should plow forward without waiting on him. However, I need actions to resolve.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 15/06/16 10:52 UTC
[OOC Waiting on AJ wink ]
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 15/06/16 11:49 UTC
[OOC: I was waiting on the characters that don't clank when they move. wink ]

Kriv

The erudite noble pondered the tactical situation, cold reptilian eyes appraising the possibilities.

"Let's look at it from the Orc's perspective. He knows the sentry is gone, we can extrapolate he told the rest of their sorry kind. He's hiding, he expects us to return and he thinks he can ambush us. Another consideration, an ambush works better with superior numbers: I think it likely his associates are lurking just inside the cave, ready to charge out at his signal. If we can take him out without him giving it, we might be able to regain surprise, but regardless, we should expect maximum resistance from here on in.

He looked across their fellowship, eyes settling on Jaliera.

"This hinges on our approach being unnoticed, and upon our ability to take him out without him giving those who have a likelihood of waiting in ambush the slightest warning, and even then we must assume they are listening and waiting for an opportunity. I suggest Kallista and I make ready to use our arcane might on the entrance, a natural chokepoint, in case we fail. Let's go."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 15/06/16 20:52 UTC
OOC: I'm just trying to interpret the actions. It sounds like:

Jaliera will "sneak" up to the entrance and try to kill the orc. Note that he's behind a rock which gives him 3/4 cover which will give him a +5 to AC (that's rather significant) if you use a range attack. If you want to do melee, that's a whole other story wink

Kriv and Kalista will hang back (what distance please?) to use spells.

What are Davroar and Chandan doing ... specifically.

If you like, I can get you a zoomed in version of the map centered on the cave mouth.

Also, (and I'm just throwing it out there), the map is on Roll20.com. We could handle this combat in real time, if you like, there. I would set up your PC's and we could try and find an hour that works on both sides of the pond (early Saturday morning for US and early afternoon for GB). I would wait for Zeim to return before we did that so we can lead up to that. Thoughts?

Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 16/06/16 07:59 UTC
[ooc: Davroar only has one shape-change left for the day, so I will hold off on doing that until the group has a better idea of what they are up against. For now Davroar would hang back in a support role with his healing since he is not a stealthy type. ]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 16/06/16 13:26 UTC
[OOC Can Jaliera cast another sleep? As to RT play, happy to give it a go but getting a day we can all agree might be difficult. Work and social make afternoons pretty full.]
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 17/06/16 08:22 UTC
[Let's talk precise times. Saturday could work quite well for me, what time would we start Nep (your time)?

Chandan isn't too bad at stealth and has a few ranged attacks. He wouldn't spend Ki points on the sentry though, so he'll probably attack with thrown darts if the KalJal's initial attacks don't kill it. (I don't have 5e so I don't know about thrown ranges.)]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 17/06/16 12:58 UTC
[OOC Saturdays - I am away this weekend, Neil & I both have FTF next weekend, I am on holiday from 2 Jul to 9 Jul inc. My first free Saturday is 16 July. Sorry! sad ]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 17/06/16 23:11 UTC
ooc: No problem on the FTF. This sort of thing would take coordinatio[color:#FF0000]n anyhow. Getting my FTF group to find a free Saturday (with only one person, Zeim, in a different timezone) is enough of a challenge. We're lucky if we have a monthly wink

I think that you're all getting into the characters and having fun (I hope) but the mission of the game was to learn a bit of 5e. So, in that spirit, I'm answering questions and offering suggestions now.

Note that If you want to make any changes to your PC, go ahead and make the changes before we continue.

Gypsy, you get two 1st level spells per day, so yes. But your character, having just beat up on an orc, might think that sleep is overkill, unless you intend to let orcs live. If she saw a few, she might thing different. Rank-and-file orcs have 15 HP each. You get to roll 5d8 to see how many go to sleep. If you roll an average roll, you would take down two. By they way, you rolled 9d8 for the last sleep and I think there's your understanding of what "at higher level" means.

If you're able to cast second level spells (you can do that at 7th level) you can cast sleep as a 2nd level spell. When you do that, you add 2d8 to the roll. You don't add 2d8 for every level that you are. If you have access to a Player Handbook, it's on page 201. You can also see it in the Wizards official SRD To quote:
Quote:
SPELL SLOTS

Regardless of how many spells a caster knows or prepares, he or she can cast only a limited number of spells before resting. Manipulating the fabric of magic and channeling its energy into even a simple spell is physically and mentally taxing, and higher-level spells are even more so. Thus, each spellcasting class’s description includes a table showing how many spell slots of each spell level a character can use at each character level. For example, the 3rd-level wizard Umara has four 1st-level spell slots and two 2nd-level slots.

When a character casts a spell, he or she expends a slot of that spell’s level or higher, effectively “filling” a slot with the spell. You can think of a spell slot as a groove of a certain size—small for a 1st-level slot, larger for a spell of higher level. A 1st-level spell fits into a slot of any size, but a 9th-level spell fits only in a 9th-level slot. So when Umara casts magic missile, a 1st-level spell, she spends one of her four 1st-level slots and has three remaining.

Finishing a long rest restores any expended spell slots (see chapter 8 for the rules on resting).

Some characters and monsters have special abilities that let them cast spells without using spell slots.

CASTING A SPELL AT A HIGHER LEVEL
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill the slot it is put into.

Some spells, such as magic missile and cure wounds, have more powerful effects when cast at a higher level, as detailed in a spell’s description.

Neil, I added the link to the official WOTC System Reference Document to the first post in the OOC: Resources "sticky" thread. Dart range is 20/60 which means you can throw one 20 feet without penalty for distance and up to 60 feet but you roll with disadvantage (roll twice to hit and use the lesser of the rolls). And I totally agree with waiting to use ki points until you know if there's a "big" bad guy. Otherwise, using ki points early is the most prudent action. By "thinning the herd" of enemies, you reduce the overall damage the enemy can do in a round.

Dugan, do you find yourself at a loss for what to do in melee that doesn't involve a shape change? We'll I looked over your spells and wondered why you selected two non-combat cantrips.

Druidcraft lets you do things like predict the weather, make flowers bloom, and light a candle. All very druidy, but you really would use them only rarely in a game. Guidance lets you add 1d4 to someone's ability check. That will come in handy but I would also classify it as non-combat.

What I've learned is that you should take at least one "attack" cantrip, something you can use in a melee when all else fails. This hearkens back to the days of yore, when wizards would cast their lone magic missile and disappear for the rest of the day. The idea was to give spell casters an every-round way to participate in an encounter.

Poison spray, thorn whip and shillelagh are those kinds of cantrips. By the way, shillelagh is a bonus action so you can cast it every round while you have to attack physically.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 18/06/16 06:46 UTC
[ooc:I'm not too worried about picking the non-combat cantrips, Neptune. I had pictured my druid as more of a support role than a pure fighter anyways. I will definitely take one of the combat oriented ones when my character reaches a level where I get another cantrip. Besides I did change my prepared spells to include Flame Blade prior to travelling here.]
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 18/06/16 09:21 UTC
[Nice one, Nep (though the SRD doesn't cover Monks).

One thing it does tell me is that Chandan's darts will do 1d4+3 damage. Even throwing his spear would do 1d8+3. All insufficient to drop the 15 hp orc, assuming he hits.

Unless using special abilities, this is likely similar to other PCs' ranged attacks, so we'll have to focus fire on the one orc. I reckon we should just roll our attacks and be done with it.

Even if we take this orc out silently, we can't surprise the others in the cave anyway, since we'd need light, making stealth impossible. (Assuming orcs can still see in the dark thus not need lighting in the cave.)

For the party, the combat needs to happen outside the cave, so let's get it on. grin ]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 18/06/16 16:58 UTC
Dugan - I had a feeling but I wanted to offer it up because "by rule" you are allowed to make changes to your PC through 4th level. Even though it's an "Adventure's League" rule, it makes sense for those who learn the game.

Neil - See PM
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 20/06/16 11:28 UTC
[OOC THanks Nep. Maybe I'll keep her other spell until I actually need it!. So are we going to use missile fire on mass against the sentry orc or is Jaliera going to try a sneak attack?]
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 20/06/16 12:58 UTC
[Kriv would advise stealth, to disarm the ambush.]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 21/06/16 18:03 UTC
So it's impossible for us, on short notice, to handle a real-time encounter. I'll plan better next time. In the mean time, here's the link to the Roll20 campaign. We'll just use this to place your PC's.
Roll 20 - Join game
Let's move the game forward:

1) On the Roll20 position your PC to a starting location no closer than 30 feet from the cave mouth. Note that the squares are not 5x5 outdoors, they're 10x10. I'm letting you set up your assault. If you look closely to the cave mouth area you'll see that I drew in 5x5 boxes there.
2) Roll stealth if you move closer than you are. There IS a lookout. The orc's passive perception is 10 so that's the number you have to beat.
3) Roll initiative. If everyone that moves within 120 of the orc makes their stealth roll, you'll have surprise and the orc won't get to do anything. If he spots even one of you, expect him to react like you would (alert his allies). He'll only attack someone that fails a stealth roll.
4) Declare your Round #1 action and take it. If you have surprise, the orc simply doesn't get to go.

Note about Roll20. When you get to the site it might be all black. You all are in the bottom left hand corner of the map. You may need to zoom out to find your token. There's a zoom tool on the left and a zoom slider bar on the right in the map area. I haven't attached PC sheets to the tokens. Gypsy, don't forget to move your owl. I placed her right next to Jaliera for now. Place her anywhere. The orc isn't smart enough to know it's with you - at least for now.

Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 21/06/16 19:39 UTC
Kallista

Moving up as quietly as she can, she tries to get within range of her spells so she can cover the cave mouth with an area spell.

Kallista Stealth, Initiative
Zeim rolled d20+2,d20+2 and got 18, 5

Round 1 Action - If Orc does not detect us, cast Sleep on it. If Orc does detect us cast Web, targeting Orc plus to fill/block cave mouth. In both cases target such that any party members who charge forward are not in the AOE.

(OOC - I like the use of Roll20. It lets the players move their pcs themselves.)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 21/06/16 23:41 UTC
OOC: And not surprising to me, Zeim, you created a character sheet smile
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 22/06/16 04:00 UTC
Davroar

He will move up some, but will keep well back to avoid being seen while the more sneaky types move closer.

Davroar Initiative
Dugan rolled d20 and got 19

Davroar Stealth
Dugan rolled d20 and got 3
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 22/06/16 08:32 UTC
Jaliera

She moves up with Kallista, ready to engage when everyone is ready.

Jaliera Initiative/Stealth
Gypsy rolled 1d20+1,1d20+7 and got 18, 11
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 22/06/16 14:19 UTC
Dugan, even if you are not a stealthy type, since we're doing a group stealth check now, please roll Davroar's. AJ and Neil, That goes for Kriv and Chandan too.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 22/06/16 14:27 UTC
(OOC - Nep - Actually, I tried to create a pc sheet but I do not have the option to do that. When I go to the Journal it is blank. So I simply typed in my HP. AC, and Move using the Gear option directly on the token.)
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 22/06/16 19:54 UTC
[Chandan rolled 7 on Stealth, 19 on Initiative.]
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 22/06/16 20:08 UTC

Kriv initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 14

Kriv stealth (disadvantage)
AJ rolled 1d20-1,1d20-1 and got 0, 16
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 23/06/16 16:37 UTC
I didn't see Chandan move. He's almost 120 feet away from his nearest ally, more than a double move. Please move your token if you want to be involved in the coming combat. Remember, each square in the map is 10' not 5' (until you get to the cavemouth).
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 23/06/16 17:28 UTC
[Groovy, I think that does it.]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 24/06/16 20:10 UTC
DM

As they move forward to try and sneak up on the orc sentry, Kallista and Jaliera are able to stay quiet enough to not alert him of their presence. That, however, is not enough as Davroar and Chandan are unable to keep themselves hidden and Kriv makes enough noise to wake the dead. The orc calls out to his allies. Kallista casts her spell and the orc is not able to avoid it and is now trapped in the web and quite upset about it.

Orc Dex check to avoid the web
Neptune rolled 1d20+1 and got 12.
The map has been updated. You can see where the web is. No other enemy is in sight. Everyone else can get a ranged attack if you have it but I'm not going to allow additional movement until next round and the orc will get to act as it goes last, which means after Kalista's web.

Initiative Order
Chandan 19
Dugan 19
Jaliera 18
Kalista 18
Kriv 14
Orc 2
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 25/06/16 14:41 UTC
(OOC - Nep - One correction about the Web placement. You indicated the squares where the Orc is are 5 feet wide not 10. Kallista had intended to center the web in the middle of the opening so it completely filled the cave mouth and left no exit for the Orcs inside other than either burning the webs or using Strength checks to push thru them and possibly be trapped.)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 26/06/16 12:53 UTC
OK. I just adjusted the size of the web. The cave mouth is just about the 20 feet wide. Remember that movement is posible through web as difficult terrain, for all. The web covers the entire cave mouth, sealing it.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 26/06/16 13:37 UTC
Kriv Fire bolt cantrip to hit, fire damage
AJ rolled 1d20+4,1d10 and got 6, 9
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 26/06/16 14:15 UTC
Chandan

He gaups at the silvery silk webs that have suddenly snapped across the cave mouth.

"Crouching orc, hidden spider." Chandan muses aloud, hefting his spear ready to charge.

Until the orcs have disgorged from the cave, he has no opponent though, so for now his moves are only to bring him into position, not to attack.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 26/06/16 17:45 UTC
Davroar

Cursing his clumsiness in trying to sneak up, he will instead move up and be ready to use his sling shot on any more orcs that will come into view.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 26/06/16 22:07 UTC
OOC: This might be important wink

If you go to Roll20, know that there's a chance someone else will be on Roll20 and you may want to check to make sure that you want to be seen and heard. Cameras and microphones tend to come on when you visit. On the top right-hand corner of the main screen there's gear. Click on it and scroll down a bit. You can turn off broadcasting audio and video there.

A friendly tidbit from your DM.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 27/06/16 13:01 UTC
Jaliers

"Good one Kallista. Will my arrows go through that stuff?"

She readies an arrow in case.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 27/06/16 14:03 UTC
Kallista

She cringes at the Firebolt Kriv fires as she knows it will burn away part of the webs, but answers Jaliera. "Yes. I'd suggest killing it with missiles so we're not at risk."
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 27/06/16 14:14 UTC
Kriv

Fortunately, Kriv's fire bolt was wildly off target.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 27/06/16 18:30 UTC
OOC: I toyed with the idea of making it an attack with disadvantage, but I won't. I'm just waiting for Jaliera to post an action (or that she's waiting). I have Kriv's attack, Chandan and Davroar waiting. Then the orc gets to go.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 28/06/16 11:53 UTC
Jaliera

At Kallista's encouragement, she lets fly an arrow in the direction of the sentry.

Jaliera Arrow
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 8, 4
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 28/06/16 12:08 UTC
DM
Jaliera tries a bow shot and misses. Kriv shoots a fire bolt and it too misses. This was the orc's opportunity. It fought against the webs and won the battle, breaking free of the bindings. With that it disappears inside the cave mouth.

Orc strength check to break out of the webs
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 14
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 28/06/16 12:22 UTC
(OOC - Nep - As I noted in the OOC thread, both Kriv and Jaliera have advantage on their attacks so should get a second roll each.)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 28/06/16 14:37 UTC
... and as I said in my post 3 up, I toyed with the idea of disadvantage because of shooting through the webs. I also didn't have the rolls rolled at -5 for 3/4 cover. I also didn't give the orc advantage for having 3/4 cover on his dex check for having cover. In a face-to-face game I would undo everything but for the sake of moving this along, I'm considering it all a wash. Let's continue as is.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 29/06/16 00:20 UTC
DM

The orc has disappeared into the cave. Kallista, as of this moment, is still concentrating on the web. There is no sign coming from the cave but you all know that orcs lie in wait. Chandan will be the first to decide what to do next. The party has split up and he's alone so the decision is his and his alone. Does he make his way into the cave or does he wait?
Code:
PC     Init  HP  DAM
Code:
Chandan 19   24   0 <=== Up
Davroar 19   20   0
Jaliera 18   18   0
Kalista 18   25   0
Kriv    14   21   0
Orc-1    2   15   0 

Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 29/06/16 08:56 UTC
Chandan

He pulls his face out of the dirt, having leapt to the ground when Kriv unleashed his fiery breath. Such marvellous powers his companions have, yet these intractable orcs refuse to be drawn out.

Is it a stand-off? Would the Many Arrows hold their ground in the cave until nightfall, when the advantage would swing in their favour?

It's conceivable that the party will have to root them out, or risk doing battle later on the orcs' terms.

But there'll be no rooting out while the cave mouth is snarled with magical webs, so Chandan makes like an orc and holds his ground too.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 30/06/16 05:56 UTC
Davroar

He lets out a not-so-quiet curse when the orc escapes the web and disappears deeper into the cave, and undoubtedly will warn the rest of the orcs.

"Should we go chasing after it?"

It would not be the smartest thing in the world to do, but he will go if the others want to.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 30/06/16 11:13 UTC
Jaliera

"I think we should stay out of sight and watch for a while. These are not the brightest of creatures."

She keeps her arrow trained on the entrance.

"They may have a backdoor. I'll send Whisper to have a scout around."

She asks Whisper to go and fly around the hill to see if she can spot any orcs.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 30/06/16 17:10 UTC
DM
Whisper flies around and Jaliera is convinced that there is no back door.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 30/06/16 17:12 UTC
Kallista

"Smoke 'em out", she says. "That was the plan."
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 30/06/16 23:27 UTC
Kriv

He nodded, curtly. No way of scouting past them, no intelligence to be gleaned from them. He began collecting the necessary green wood.

"So, on with the plan."
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 01/07/16 05:23 UTC
Davroar

He will help in collecting wood with Kriv while Jaliera and Kallista keep watch.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 01/07/16 21:07 UTC
Chandan

A nod of encouragement from Chandan as he sees his companions dart to gather wood. Hopefully the orcs see too and get the message. It's a raid. Karma has come full circle.

For his part, Chandan stands guard with his spear.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 03/07/16 12:59 UTC
DM

So the firewood and leaves are gathered. Kallista's web is still there; it'll last for an hour, so long as she concentrates on it.

But the orcs have time too. What are they doing? They have not left. They seem to want to wait this thing out.

Where do you build the fire? You would need to get inside the cave for it to have any chance of it working and that's assuming that the cave is shallow and goes nowhere.
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 06/07/16 13:37 UTC
ooc: I waited to confer with my FTF pals (sans Zeim) about this strategy at our annual 4th of July BBQ. The DMG did not prepare me for the tactic. Normally they gang up on me when I DM, but not this time. To quote them, "Unless there's some sort of airflow/vacuum, this cannot work". There is none.

DM

The leaves, kindling and firewood are placed as far into the cave as posible. Much of it is inside the web but with the strands covering the cavemouth, most of it is at the edge of the cave. All it takes to light the firewood and leaves are a couple of bolts of fire, from a distance. Soon enough the fire starts to burn and a plume of smoke rises. If any of the smoke does go in the cave, it's not sufficient to smoke them out. And the web burned away.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 06/07/16 15:17 UTC
(OOC - All it takes is blocking the entrance to the cave once the fire starts with brush. Tree limbs, foliage, etc. The fire being placed further inside so the brush doesn't catch fire. The smoke has nowhere to go but deeper inside. It's the same concept of creating a hole in the roof of a tepee to let the smoke escape. If you don't, you die of asphyxiation.

If you rule it won't work we'll do it the hard way I guess.)
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 06/07/16 17:26 UTC
[I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 06/07/16 20:58 UTC
[ooc: I'll take some combination of the actions specified in AJ's article (requiring a fanning of smoke into the cave) and Zeim's suggestion of trying to block off the entrance to funnel the smoke. Neither of these tactics were stated earlier. Simply making a fire from a distance is not enough. I figured you didn't want to get close enough to draw fire. And if you are getting close enough to do that ... expect the expected.

Please place yourselves on the grid as you prepare to take these actions and what, specifically, are each of you are doing?]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 07/07/16 09:17 UTC
[Ooc staying put and covering with arrow fire. No access to map as I'm on holiday ]
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 07/07/16 17:38 UTC
[Well Chandan doesn't have Fly or Meteor Swarm, so he'd better make use of what he's got! wink ]

Chandan

Although the wood catches, the smoke does not draw into the cave with the gusto the party had hoped for.

So Chandan sings quietly in his native tongue and the wind starts to blow on the coiling smoke and spitting flame. Not a gale, but sporadic gusts in direction that aids their plan.

[Elemental Attunement.]
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 08/07/16 07:07 UTC
Davroar

Having helped gather and tossing wood into a pile, he will be brave and approach the cave mouth in a crouch so that most of the smoke should hide his presence. Then he will also try to help fanning the smoke into the cave by waving a sleeping blanket from his pack.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 08/07/16 09:52 UTC
Kriv

Standing in the cover of the rocks to one side, near to where the vagrant was using his powers to waft the smoke in, Kriv stood ready with maul and magic to strike back should any enemy emerge as the situation demanded.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 08/07/16 12:15 UTC
Kallista

She stands off to one side, sheltered by some of the larger rocks, also ready to act should any of the orcs appear.

(OOC - Ready Action - Magic Missile spell. Trigger - An Orc comes into view)

In the meantime, she takes the frying pan out of her mess kit and with a wave a Spectral Hand appears. It takes the frying pan, moves over to the fire, and begins to wave it back and forth, helping to waft the smoke deeper into the cave.

(OOC - Mage Hand)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 12/07/16 12:34 UTC
OOC: Another long post lost because, like an idiot, I hit the wrong key! When will I learn?
DM
Whether it was the smoke that choked them out or just their bloodlust taking hold, five orcs come charging out of the cave with a javelin in one hand and a great axe in the other. They dodge the fire and find targets immediately. As soon as they decide who to attack, they hurl the javelin and rush forward, quicker than one might guess they would, to attack with their axe.

Moments after the first five attack, two others follow from the cave. One is a very large, brawny orc. That orc targets the biggest opponent he can spot and hurls his javelin at Kriv.

The other to emerge isn't an orc at all. It's too big to be an orc and the realization strikes that this is an ogre! He has a stack of javelins in his hand and he takes partial cover behind the bolders where he can direct the orcs and still get involved in the fight.

So much easier to do FTF <sigh>. I rolled the attacks. Of course, they might not all happen because Jaliera, Kriv and Kallista have readied actions. I split up the attacks evenly (so far) so if you happen to hit and kill the orc that attacked you, you won't take this damage. I recorded Chandan's damage because he doesn't have a reaction.

ogre initiative
Neptune rolled 1d20 and got 19
orc-1 Hurls Javelin at Chandan
Neptune rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 16, 7 Hit!
orc-2 Hurls Javelin at Jaliera (half cover -2 to hit adj)
Neptune rolled 1d20+3,1d6+3 and got 16, 7 Hit!
orc-3 Hurls Javelin at Kalista (half cover -2 to hit adj)
Neptune rolled 1d20+3,1d6+3 and got 6, 9 Miss!
orc-4 Hurls Javelin at Davroar
Neptune rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 6, 7 Miss!
orc-5 Hurls Javelin at Kriv (half cover -2 adj to hit)
Neptune rolled 1d20+3,1d6+3 and got 19, 6 Hit!
Big Orc Hurls Javelin at Kriv (half cover -2 adj to hit)
Neptune rolled 1d20+3,1d6+3 and got 13, 7 Miss!

Code:
PC     Init  HP  DAM
Code:
Chandan 19   24   7 <=== Up
Davroar 19   20   0
Ogre    19   59   0
Jaliera 18   18   0
Kalista 18   25   0
Kriv    14   21   0
Orc1     2   15   0 
Orc2     2   15   0 
Orc3     2   15   0 
Orc4     2   15   0 
Orc5     2   15   0 
BigOrc   2   30   0

Attached picture orcs1.jpg
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 13/07/16 11:52 UTC
Would the orcs not be at a disadvantage running through smoke out into bright light not knowing what to expect? Do we get advantage with a readied action?

Jaliera

The orcs rush out but she is ready as one turns in her direction. She lets fly hoping that it hits.

Rolled 2 to hit dice, if no advantage use the first one. smile

Jaliera Arrow
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 12, 8, 8
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 13/07/16 12:08 UTC
Kallista

As soon as the first Orc comes into sight her finger points and three glowing darts of force erupt, striking the orc in it's chest in rapid succession.

Kallista Magic Missile
Zeim rolled 3d4+3 and got 13
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 13/07/16 16:45 UTC
Gypsy, There's no disadvantage for them for change of light. They do have darkvision. Either way Jaliera missed. So you'll take the damage and so will Kalista because her Magic Missile didn't do enough damage to kill the orc. For the sake of openness, here's their stats (legally posted since it's part of the SRD):
Code:
Orc

Traits

Aggressive: As a Bonus Action, the orc can move up to its speed toward a 
hostile creature that it can see.

Actions

Greataxe: Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. 
Hit: 9 (1d12 + 3) slashing damage.

Javelin: Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or 
range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Attributes

Size	Medium
Type	Humanoid (Orc)
Alignment	Chaotic Evil
AC	13 (Hide Armor)
HP	15 (2d8+6)
Speed	30 ft.
STR	16
DEX	12
CON	16
INT	7
WIS	11
CHA	10
Senses	Darkvision 60 Ft.
Passive Perception	10
Skills	Intimidation +2
Languages	Common, Orc
Challenge Rating	1/2
Roll 0	 1d20 + 5 1d12+3
Roll 1	 1d20 + 5 1d6+3
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 13/07/16 19:05 UTC
Chandan

And so battle is joined. Will the forces of good win out? Or the forces of evil?

Some sages said good and evil was not black and white but shades of grey. Chandan's belief is that there are certainly degrees of good and evil, lesser and greater of both. But a person's deeds tip the scales one way of the other.

Ultimately, it is black and white. These orcs, these Many Arrows have been set upon in their lair but being a victim does not equate to goodness. Evil befalls evil more commonly than not. Their orcishness has not condemned them, their willful villainy has.

Chandan can only pray that he can put an end to it. With that he attacks, spear, fist and flying feet.

[Chandan hits for 4 damage]
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 13/07/16 19:44 UTC
(OOC - Rolls in attack post seem to indicate a miss against Kallista? Looks like hits against Kriv, Chandan, and Jaliera?)
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 14/07/16 06:23 UTC
Davroar

Considering himself lucky not to be hit by the javelin thrown at him, he will cast his Flame Blade spell for now to use against the orcs next round.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 14/07/16 11:15 UTC
Jaliera

This is not looking good.

She casts sleep on the largest group of orcs, ideally including the one heading her way.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 14/07/16 12:55 UTC
Kriv

Ready with maul and magic, he spake guttural words in the language of his people. Words of power. Words that echoed. Words that thundered.

(15ft cube centred on caster, 2d8 thunder damage and 10ft pushback, con save half and no pushback, DC 12)

Kriv Thunderwave damage
AJ rolled 2d8 and got 2
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 14/07/16 16:57 UTC
Orc-5 Con save vs Kriv's Thunderwave
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 6
Fails! Takes all the damage (could you roll worse?) and is pushed back 10 feet. For that, the orc will have not reached Kriv.

Zeim, you are correct.

I'm rushing to a meeting. More tonight or tomorrow.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 14/07/16 17:57 UTC
(OOC - If we luck out and Kriv attacks the same one as Kallista we would just manage to kill it.)
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 14/07/16 20:20 UTC
(OOC: That's against everything in a 15ft cube rather than a single target. Any other Orcs caught?)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/07/16 02:53 UTC
DM
The dragonborn's thunder spell knocks back Kriv's main target and also the two flanking him. They, however, are not knocked back. And it's surprising, but the one that was hit by Kalista's magic missile is still charging forward with it's battle axe raised over his head and fury in his eyes and a smoldering hole in his chest.

Closed combat seems inevitable and Chandan is ready for the orc that attacks him. He thrusts his spear, smacks it in the head with fist and feet. Meanwhile, Davroar conjures a flaming scimitar and attacks the orc in front of him. The brave ogre, staying behind the bolders for cover, sees magic cast near him and hurls a javelin at the druid. It strikes the ground near Davroar's feet.

AJ, you're absolutely right. In fact, the DMG (page 249) gives DMs the exact mathematics to answer how many based on shape. For a cube or square the formula is Size/5 (round up). So that means there were three targets. Of course, there are all kinds of modifiers, etc. but this'll do. So, in addition to Orc-5 that attacked Kriv, Orc-3 and Orc-4 are in the area of effect. And yes, Orc-3 is the one that was attacked by and is attacking Kallista.

Orc3 Con Save DC 12 for Thunderwave
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 21

Orc4 Con Save DC 12 for Thunderwave
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 12

They both save.
So they take half of 2 points of damage (AJ rolled snake-eyes on d8's) and aren't pushed.

Davroar gets his attack as soon as it appears. There's no delay between conjuration and use. Jaliera's sleep spell will be cast after the ogre goes.

Ogre Attacks Davroar with javelin
Neptune rolled 1d20+6,2d6+4 and got 8, 10 Miss!

Jaliera should roll 5d8 to see how many she puts to sleep. Here best target area could affect Orc-2, Orc-3, Orc-5 and Big Orc. The orcs with the least hit points remaining are affected first.

Code:
PC     Init  HP  DAM
Code:
Chandan 19   24   7 
Davroar 19   20   0
Ogre    19   59   0
Jaliera 18   18   7 <=== Need a 5d8 roll
Kalista 18   25   0 <=== Up, but please wait for Gypsy's roll. Targets will likely drop.
Kriv    14   21   6
Orc1     2   15   0 
Orc2     2   15   0 
Orc3     2   15  14 
Orc4     2   15   1 
Orc5     2   15   2 
BigOrc   2   30   0

Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/07/16 04:26 UTC
Davroar

It is his first time trying out his new flame blade spell, so when he finds it happens much quicker to conjure he will take a swing at the orc right beside him. Unfortunately he missed.

Davroar Attack on Orc-4
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 7
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/07/16 12:17 UTC
Jaliera

Jaliera Sleep spell
Gypsy rolled 5d8 and got 20

Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 15/07/16 14:49 UTC
Kallista

(OOC - OK, presuming #3 and #5 fall asleep)

Pointing her finger at a central area among the group that includes the big Orc and the Orge she strikes a chip of mica against her palm and a painfully loud ringing noise erupts from the area, encompassing a 20' diameter sphere.

Kallista Shatter Spell versus Big Orc, Ogre and Orc #4
Zeim rolled 3d8 and got 17 Thunder Damage. Con Save vs DC 13 for 1/2
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 18/07/16 06:57 UTC
Chandan

He blocks the orc's crude club, but feels his old bones bruised by the blow.

Jumping backwards he thrusts his spear forwards, low at the orcs feet, then immediately follows it with a spinning back kick.

[Chandan hits twice for 9 damage total]
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 18/07/16 11:20 UTC
(Waiting on tactical update to determine viable targets.)
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 21/07/16 18:28 UTC
OOC: Sorry about the delay. Life <sigh>

DM
Jaliera blows a pinch of fine sand towards the orcs and as the spell takes hold, it sends two orcs into a deep slumber. They fall to the ground and start snoring. Then Jaliera evokes a sudden loud ringing noise that causes intense pain for to the ogre, the large orc and one of the others orcs. The noise is too much to bear for the common orc and it kill him, but the ogre and big orc remain up. On the other side of the cave mouth, Chandan thrusts his spear and then spins around, kicking the orc attacking him. The orc feels hot blood starting to drip down it's side from the spear wound but presses the attacks.
Code:
PC     Init  HP  DAM
Code:
Chandan 19   24   7 
Davroar 19   20   0
Ogre    19   59   8
Jaliera 18   18   7 
Kalista 18   25   0 
Kriv    14   21   6 <=== Up now
Orc1     2   15   9 
Orc2     2   15   0 
Orc3     2   15  14 Asleep
Orc4     2   15  15 Dead 
Orc5     2   15   2 Asleep
BigOrc   2   30   8

Attached picture orc2.jpg
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 21/07/16 22:19 UTC
Kriv

He strode forward to go toe to toe with the furthest advanced Orc, preferably before he got a chance to awaken his slumbering kin.

Kriv Mauling an Orc
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 22

Kriv Damage, reroll 1 or 2
AJ rolled d6 d6 and got 1, 6

Kriv Damage, reroll
AJ rolled d6 and got 2

Total damage, 6+2+3, 11
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/07/16 11:40 UTC
Jaliera

The odds seem a little better now. She breathes a sight of relief as she picks up her bow thinking that magic is definitely worth pursuing.

Orc 2 seems to be the nearest threat and she looses an arrow in its direction.

Jaliera Arrow
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 16, 8
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 22/07/16 12:00 UTC
[ooc: Gypsy, thanks for posting, but almost everyone else has to go before you and the tactical will change. I'll save your good roll and apply it when it's time.]
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 24/07/16 13:58 UTC
[OK, no worries, just trying to stay caught up as I had visitors this weekend. smile ]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 25/07/16 18:22 UTC
[ooc: My fault really. I have been overwhelmed with stuff - hence slow.]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 25/07/16 23:37 UTC
DM
Three of the five orcs are incapacitated. The other two focus on the biggest, meanest, nastiest of their opponents, Kriv. They try to chop down the dragonborn with their great axes. The remaining little orc misses low, while the big orc misses high.

Big Orc attacks kriv
Neptune rolled 1d20+5,1d12+3 and got 11, 4

Orc2 attacks kriv
Neptune rolled 1d20+5,1d12+3 and got 8, 9

Chandan and Davroar go and nobody else because the ogre goes after them.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 29/07/16 12:00 UTC
Chandan

After low, high, Chandan's spear seeks out the orc's throat and ends its struggle.

With a clear run between the wizened old monk and the savage ogre, eyes meet and stances set.

Shouting in the Primordial tongue, Chandan thrusts his hand into the air, bringing it down in a fist and punching at the ogre from a distance.

"Pummelling Water Whip!!"

Vivid blue glacial water explodes from his fist in a tight jet, like a striking serpent with a hammer in its teeth.

[Chandan attacks Orc1 with spear and unarmed. Hits with spear for 10 damage.

Bonus action: Chandan attacks Ogre with Water Whip and +1 ki point for 4d10 = 21 damage. (Ogre must make Dex save to take half damage and avoid being knocked prone.)]

Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 01/08/16 17:45 UTC
DM
Chandan skewers the lone orc fighting him and then turns his attention to the ogre. He crates a whip of water that lashes out at the large humanoid. The whip strikes it full on and knocks him off his feet.
Ogre Dex save water whip
Neptune rolled 1d20 and got 3
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 02/08/16 19:14 UTC
[Nice! So guys, melee attacks on the ogre are at an advantage until he stands up.]
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 03/08/16 06:21 UTC
Davroar

Seeing the big ogre knocked off his feet, Davroar will attack him with his flame blade.

Davroar Attack Advantage on Ogre
Dugan rolled 1d20 1d20 and got 7, 13

Not sure if 13 is sufficient to hit the Ogre, so rolling damage just in case:
Davroar damage from flame blade
Dugan rolled 3d6 and got 12
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 03/08/16 19:07 UTC
DM

Davroar conjures a fiery blade which appears in his free hand. It is shaped much like a scimitar but instead on metal, the blade is fire. He moves forward with it and strikes the ogre. The big oaf is not amused! He grabs hold of his greatclub and smacks the druid upside the head with a mighty blow!

Ogre AC=11. I took the liberty of moving Davoar in the Roll20 map. It's not a range attack.

Ogre Greatclub vs Davroar
Neptune rolled 1d20+6,2d8+4 and got 14, 13 - Hits for 13 pts damage.

Jaliera, Kalista and Kriv may go.

Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 03/08/16 21:00 UTC
Kallista

Pointing her finger and speaking a short word three blue bolts of force shoot forth.

Kallista Magic Missile
Zeim rolled 3d4+3 and got 13
I believe all the regular Orcs are out of action? Also presume the Ogre stood up on it's turn? So, firing at the Ogre.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 04/08/16 00:22 UTC
Kriv

Adjusting his position but staying in range, he inhaled, looking to catch the last remaining orcs in a devastating incendiary exhalation.

Yay, I can finally show exactly where I'm deploying a 15ft cone on the map. will remove when no longer needed. Zeim, looking at said map, the Ogre appears to still be listed as prone, there is one generic orc and the big orc still upright.

Kriv Dracarys!
AJ rolled 2d6 and got 6
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 04/08/16 11:59 UTC
(OOC - AJ - Yeah, but if he was prone he attacks at Disadvantage, and he did not, so I presumed he stood up but Nep just forgot to list it. Besides, since he didn't move I don't see why he wouldn't stand.)
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 04/08/16 12:04 UTC
Jaliera

She will fire at the orc still standing.

[OOC You said I could use my last roll wen I went too early? smile ]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 04/08/16 12:44 UTC
DM

Jaliera fires her arrow at the orc in front. It was already wounded and when the arrow strikes it, it kills the orc. Kalista points her finger at the ogre and shoots three magical bolts of energy at it. The ogre staggers for a moment but still stands.

Then Kriv unleashes his fiery breath on the big orc and the one that had been put to sleep. The fire merely wounds the big orc, but the one that was asleep was barely alive before the attack and now it's a smoldering heap of charred flesh.

OOC1: Yes, Ogre stood. I should have stated.
OOC2: Yes, Jaliera rolled already
OOC3: No. Not all regular orcs are out-of-action. Orc-2 is (was still) up.
OOC4: I got rid of he cone already. I also removed all dead orcs to unclutter the screen.

Chandan and then Davroar go again.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 04/08/16 16:19 UTC
Chandan

With the ogre back on its feet and attacking the brave young druid, Davroar, Chandan leaps over his vanquished orc foe and rushes at the giant.

To some it might appear as a flailing of dusty rags and scrawny limbs, but there is perhaps some hidden technique to the monk's fighting style...

He lunges, spear first then flying roundhouse.

[Chandan hits ogre once, with spear, for 10 damage total.]
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 05/08/16 06:14 UTC
Davroar

Feeling the strength of the ogre's attack, Davroar realizes he can not take another hit like that again. Forgoing his flame blade he will immediately shape-shift into his brown bear form to attack.

Davroar Bite and claw attack on Ogre
Dugan rolled 1d20+5,1d20+5 and got 17, 24

Davroar Bite and claw damage on Ogre
Dugan rolled 1d8+4,2d6+4 and got 11, 9
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 05/08/16 19:31 UTC
DM

The brash ogre was already staggered. The virtually simultaneous flurry of attacks by both Chandan and Davroar is so brutal that it's skull cracks open like an egg. It hits the dirt with a loud thud.

ooc: Jaliera, Kallista and Kriv go. The odds are stacked heavily against the lone surviving orc (the Big orc) lasting long enough for a counter attack.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 05/08/16 21:27 UTC
Kallista

With a short word she fires a bolt of Fire at the Orc.

Kallista Fire Bolt
Zeim rolled d20+5,d10 and got 24, 3
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 06/08/16 00:22 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn followed up with an overhead swing of his maul, bringing it down upon the orc that deigned to wound him with crunching finality.

Kriv Melee attack on big Orc
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 15

Kriv damage reroll 1 or 2
AJ rolled d6 d6 and got 6, 3

12 damage. *Crunch.*
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 06/08/16 13:31 UTC
Jaliera

She fires another arrow at the large orc this time but misses.

Jaliera Arrow
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 7, 4
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 06/08/16 16:12 UTC
DM
Although Jaliera's arrow misses the mark, Kallista's magic and Kriv's maul did not. The big orc, even while hanging on to life, steps forward to exact his vengeance on Kriv. It swings it's great axe but the dragonborn sidesteps it with ease. It dies with the next blow with a crazed, fanatic look in it's eyes frozen on its face.

One orc is alive, but only because it is asleep.

Big Orc Final blow
Neptune rolled 1d20+5,1d12+3 and got 11, 8

It had a single point left and so I end the battle.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 06/08/16 17:29 UTC
Kriv

The Dragonborn sneered down at the biggest and best these orcs could muster, unmistakable contempt on his draconic features, both for this individual and his shoddy excuse for leadership, and the whole tribe, in their primitive and bestial barbarity.

"We've seen what questioning these savages gets us. Someone put that one out of its misery, then we'll see if there's anything of merit hidden in their stinking den."

He cleaned the head of his maul somewhat on the garb of the last to die.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 07/08/16 10:10 UTC
Chandan

Some how he'd fallen over with the ogre, and now Chandan drags himself to his feet, clinging to his spear.

Looking around for Davroar he's surprised to be face to face with a bear. Does it have a sore head?

"Are you hurt, my friend? A giant's is a giant blow! Ah but it could not withstand your superior techniques. Well done, yes, well done."

And his other companions seemed to have made short work of the rest of the Many Arrows. Chandan hadn't seen who did what, but he had seen fire, magical fire, and heard bow shots.

He also hears Kriv's recommendation that they despatch the sole surviving orc, presently asleep.

Chandan nods. He can see the wisdom in it, and better that the villain die in its sleep, then awake, aghast at the fate of its brethren and afraid for its life.

To let the orc live and roam free would be to invite calamity on the poor souls it wandered across next.

Still, Kriv had joined the Lord's Alliance...

"Kriv, do you think Sildar will have questions for this raider? Townmaster Wester hired us to vanquish them, so they must have been roaming the area for some time." The old monk asked.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 09/08/16 08:32 UTC
Davroar

Using up his last shape-change for the day he decides to remain in his bear form in case they want to explore the caves, so to answer Chandan he just gives his large head a shake 'no'.

For the time being he will remove the ogre's club out of reach to be extra safe, and then will search its body for anything that might be useful or valuable.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 09/08/16 10:22 UTC
Jaliera

They seem to have vanquished all but thew one remaining asleep. However Jaliera doesn't want to take chances. She sends Whisper into the cave to see if there are more orcs around.
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 09/08/16 12:11 UTC
Kallista

Once the last Orc is dead, she helps search the bodies and then keeps watch over the cave to make sure no more foes appear.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 09/08/16 15:41 UTC
Kriv

He shook his head in the negative.

"Sildar made no mention of the orcs, and Wester was looking to throw us off the scent. The sentry mentioned two leaders..."

He indicated the corpses of the ogre and the largest orc.

"Neither of which exactly look the type to be masterminding an operation on behalf of the spider. I strongly doubt we'll get anything different out of that one."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 09/08/16 17:25 UTC
OOC: I will confirm that Sildar did not ask about or care about these orcs. He'll surely be alright with their extermination. Interestingly (and you probably forgot) Townmaster Harbin Wester (now on sabbatical, having been replaced by Sildar), had given the party this quest.
It is also a quest from Kost, the Red Wizard necromancer in exchange for information.
By the way, if we were tracking experience points everyone would have earned 250 XPts. You're not quite ready to go up a level. We need to finish up this location and move on the the next place. A more detailed post is coming soon.
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 09/08/16 17:42 UTC
We didn't forget, Chandan mentioned Wester specifically. grin I guess it's back to town to spend the night, or can we hand-wave it and move directly to the banshee?
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 11/08/16 12:14 UTC
[OOC Once Whisper has finished her checks, Jaliera will want to investigate anything in there that might provide goods or information. smile ]
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 11/08/16 15:27 UTC
DM
Whisper flies into the cave, where it is dark. But she's a nocturnal creature and so that does not matter. The cave is filthy, like it was occupied by orcs and an ogre. Jaliera looks through her eyes and realizes that there are two separate chambers in this small cave complex. The outer chamber is littered with bones and other waste. The inner chamber is larger and there are scattered piles of straw which the rogue readily identifies as makeshift beds. Also, in the farthest end of that chamber, next to the largest pile of straw, is a chest. It is closed.

OOC: Ah, yes, you did mention Wester wink
I've updated the map on Roll20
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 11/08/16 16:20 UTC
Jaliera

**You are such a clever bird. Come back to me now.**

Whisper is such a darling and so useful.

She calls out to the others.

"There are two chambers inside and one has a chest. No more orcs as far as Whisper can tell. Shall we go take a look?"
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 12/08/16 16:04 UTC
Chandan

So be it. The old monk hopes that the orc is having pleasant dreams. To die in one's sleep, away from the cares of the waking world, is probably better than it deserves and the kindest fate Chandan can bestow upon it in the circumstances. He certainly won't let it roam free to pursue its villainy.

With the top of his spear, he pierces the orc through the cheek, front to back, ensuring the swiftest kill.

He keeps an ear to the rest of the party though, so is able to reply.

"A good idea, Jaliera. Maybe we find clues the orcs not know they had."
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 12/08/16 19:04 UTC
Kriv

He nodded, curtly, be it to Chandan's execution or Jaliera's suggestion. He took out a torch, ignited it and took point, heading in to illuminate the cave mouth.
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 13/08/16 05:40 UTC
Davroar

Trusting that there is no more orcs around, he will return to his normal self and follow the rest into the cave to see what they can find.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 13/08/16 11:52 UTC
Jaliera

She slots in behind Davroar, bow at the ready and describes what lies ahead. Then she turns to check the other two are coming along.

"Coming?"
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 13/08/16 13:20 UTC
ooc: Everyone that enters the cave and is looking around needs to give me a perception roll. Give me one for Whisper too please. You need a 15. If you have a passive of 15, you don't need to roll, just tell me.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 13/08/16 14:18 UTC
Kriv Perception
AJ rolled 1d20+3 and got 6
Posted By: Zeim Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 13/08/16 15:53 UTC
Kallista perception
Zeim rolled d20+3 and got 9
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sat 13/08/16 20:26 UTC
[Chandan rolls 17 in total]
Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 14/08/16 07:42 UTC
Davroar

Still feeling the effects of being bashed in the head by the ogre's club, he is not at his best in looking for unusual things.

Davroar Perception
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 3
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Sun 14/08/16 12:09 UTC
Jaliera

Jaliera & Whisper Perception
Gypsy rolled 1d20+4,1d20+3 and got 6, 21

Good job Whisper is awake as Jaliera is not! smile
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Mon 15/08/16 19:04 UTC
DM
It was Jaliera, through Whisper's eyes that first noticed the trap. The orcs had cleverly disguised the pit, covering it with a sheet they must've stolen, propped up by large stones just inside the cave mouth. Had they gone inside without spotting it, there would have been some casualties.

The party is able to circumvent the hazard and once there conducted their search. The chest in the back was unlocked and once opened the party found 750 copper pieces, 180 silver pieces, 62 electrum pieces, 30 gold pieces and 3 vials perfume worth 10 gold pieces each. There is nothing else of interest here.
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 16/08/16 14:57 UTC
Jaliera

She gently ruffles Whisper's feathers in a way she knows the owl likes.

"Such a clever bird.." she murmurs, letting Whisper know how pleased she is.

She is very happy that none of them fell foul of that trap. She makes a mental note to be more careful in future. Like the others she is interested in the contents of the chest.

"Why would orcs have perfume?" she comments, almost to herself.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Tue 16/08/16 20:18 UTC
Kriv

Picking up one of the vials,

"Murder and rob someone more civilized, mistake it for a magic potion, stash it with the rest of the valuables. I wonder if the Banshee would see merit in them? Could be useful as a trade good there."
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 17/08/16 18:15 UTC
Chandan

"Maybe they used it on the ogre?" The monk replies to Jaliera, observing Kriv with the vials.

The dragonspawn's idea of a gift for the banshee strikes Chandan as a good one. Where he's from, in the East, gifts are often given as a way of enshrining hospitality.

Chandan is reassured that Davroar isn't injured, but keeps half an eye on the bear anyway.

Jaliera is well, and her owl unruffled except by affection praise. The tiefling Kallista seems fine in all ways, and that only leaves the scaly mace-wielding Kriv.

"You are unhurt, Kriv? More travels await."
Posted By: Neptune Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Wed 17/08/16 23:25 UTC
DM
The first of the two tasks that you agreed to fulfill in your agreement with the necromancer Kost at the Old Owl Well has been fulfilled. The orcs will no longer bother the zombie-master. But you have yet to obtain the answer to the question to his question about who built the tower that he was studying. With that answer, Kost has offered to explain what he is doing there and that would give you answer to Daran Eldermath.

Copied from the News, Quests and Rumors: Daran Eldermath - Rumoured to be a former adventurer. Now runs the town orchard. Davroar saw him inside his home and saw a banner of the Order of the Gauntlet hanging there. The aged warrior eagerly shared tales of battles with giants and dragons and Davroar listened patiently these to his tales of adventure. And as time passed, Daren brought up recent stories about prospectors in the hills to the northeast of Phandelin who were digging around in the ruins of the Old Owl Well. The reports were that these prospectors were chased away by undead. "The ruins are an old watchtower of an ancient magical empire called Netheril," he told Davroar. "I am worried that there is dangerous magic lying dormant in those ruins. It would take brave adventurers to take care of this problem. It is only a few days northeast of here. If you would visit the ruins and find out who's there and what they are up to, it would be greatly appreciated."

Obtaining that answer means finding Agatha the banshee. Encountering Agatha would also fulfill the quest from Sister Garaele. She asked you to trade a comb for information about a spellbook. Kost had shown you where to find the Agatha. It's an abandoned town called Conyberry and it lies on the Triboar Trail which is about 25 miles north of where you are now.

Copied from the News, Quests and Rumors: Sister Garaele - Cleric of Tymora who maintains the Town Shrine. Rumour she had gone out of town and returned wounded and hurt. She has asked the party to visit the lair of Agatha the banshee and trade her a silver comb for information about a legendary spellbook.
Posted By: AJ Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 18/08/16 01:13 UTC
Kriv

He shrugged, and responded to the vagrant,

"Nothing particularly problematic. Onward, to Conyberry."
Posted By: Gypsy Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 18/08/16 12:06 UTC
Jaliera

She puts away her bow for now and settles Whisper down ready for travelling. As is becoming the habit now, she will send her out to scout ahead from time to time and look for potential enemies. Once on the way she will keep her bow to hand.

She will pack away the electron & gold to take with them, sharing it between them; the perfume too unless Kriv intends to carry it.

[OOC couple of things - do we know about banshees and the precautions we should take? Are owls susceptible.]
Posted By: nem Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Thu 18/08/16 17:41 UTC
[I read the map as 17 miles from Wyvern Tor to Conyberry. I could hike about 15 miles in a day unless I was berserking it, sooo we need to camp the night?]

Chandan

He nods at the dragonman's answer. Good, they are ready then.

The old monk looks to the north, feeling the colder draughts against his face.

The sun is well past its zenith and the day grows old.

"Conyberry is a day's walk from here, I think. But closer than Phandelin.

"Should we make the most of the light we have? Head north and find shelter away from this bloodshed."

Posted By: Dugan Re: N.3.1.2 Wyvern Tor - Fri 19/08/16 07:13 UTC
Davroar

"Yeah, let's get going..."

He agrees with Chandan that they need to get away from here as far away as possible. Hopefully they can find a stream nearby to clean up too. The last thing they need is another pack of wolves trailing their blood scent.
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post