DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Gryphon The Amber Chronicles - Wed 18/01/23 01:53 UTC
According to Variety Stephen Colbert is joining the team that is adapting Roger Zelazny’s “The Chronicles of Amber” for television.

I am not sure when this will begin filming, or when it will air, but I am excited.

Thoughts from other Amber fans?
Posted By: Gypsy Re: The Amber Chronicles - Wed 18/01/23 11:33 UTC
Woohoo! Hope they do it justice! grin
Posted By: MikeD Re: The Amber Chronicles - Wed 18/01/23 13:28 UTC
I'd settle for them not mucking it up entirely <wink>
Posted By: Zeim Re: The Amber Chronicles - Wed 18/01/23 14:10 UTC
It is perfectly aligned to a TV show. Murder. Mystery. Magic. Lots of special effects. Hope they do it well.
Posted By: Vryx Re: The Amber Chronicles - Wed 18/01/23 16:49 UTC
Wow. I don't even know what to think. It's hard to imagine it coming out decent after it goes into the grinder.

I watched the Shadow & Bone Netflix show and enjoyed like 70% of it, then I got the books out of the library and was blown away at how they just basically rewrote more than half of it for the TV show. And this is a fairly simple YA novel series which, whether deliberately or not, already reads like a screenplay. Like, adapting it the way it was written would have worked so much easier and been very straightforward. But they didn't, and all the things that grated/didn't seem right about the tv show didn't even exist in the books.

So now those people are going to take something a lot less straightforward and make something decent? Hard to believe it.

I think going into it and expecting that it is just going to be its own thing entirely and maybe the visuals will be cool will be the best frame of mind for me at least.
Posted By: Phoenix Prime Re: The Amber Chronicles - Wed 18/01/23 16:56 UTC
I would love to see it done with a similar production value as the Rings of Power show... but I will be fine if it is more in line with the recent Wheel of Time show. (not as refined, but told the story well enough and was enjoyable to watch)
Posted By: MikeD Re: The Amber Chronicles - Wed 18/01/23 17:23 UTC
Yep Vryx. It is one of the things I have 'learned' over the years. Great books seldom become great movies ... while mediocre books can make great movies <shrug>
Posted By: Mina Re: The Amber Chronicles - Wed 18/01/23 20:09 UTC
HHmmm I think if they did it in the same vein as The Magicians (first two seasons) it would go well. Right mix of dark and humor, and Corwin's dark sense of humor really does need to shine through. Cautiously optimistic!
Posted By: Gypsy Re: The Amber Chronicles - Thu 19/01/23 11:47 UTC
I agree PP smile
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post