DreamLyrics™ Play-by-Post
Posted By: Gryphon Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Mon 07/08/17 01:40 UTC
I spent a little over a week not able to do much except binge watch television shows.

As I did, I could not help but think that some of them would make outstanding game ideas.

Ones like:

MY OWN WORST ENEMY
The series followed the life of American secret agent Edward Albright and his cover, Henry Spivey, who had no knowledge of his double life. Albright, played by Christian Slater, was implanted with a chip allowing his handlers to physically switch Albright's personality to that of his cover. However, in the pilot episode, there was a malfunction which caused Albright's personalities to switch at random, revealing his secret life to his alias. Henry was then thrown into the highly dangerous life of Edward, with no real way for the two to communicate except through short cell phone video messages.

This looks like it has potential for a few players who, after a mission, find their chips malfunctioning.

It could be fun with PCs waking up and always wondering "How did I get here?"
Posted By: MikeD Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Mon 07/08/17 12:13 UTC
That sounds a bit like Officer Downe

Posted By: Pandemonium Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Mon 07/08/17 17:05 UTC
Mike, were you beer posting again? They don't seem quite the same thing at all. razz Though if it works for you, go for it. I will probably watch Officer Downe just because.

Too bad the series only got one year. Seems to be that the interesting concepts don't always get the play I would like.
Posted By: MikeD Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Mon 07/08/17 19:01 UTC
The premise for Downe is that he gets killed ... pretty much on every assignment ... and is resurrected afterwards with no memory of the previous 'death'. Seemed somewhat similar <shrug> But that =could= be the beer clouding my mind ... or old age ... or too much pizza ... or <weg>
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Mon 07/08/17 19:14 UTC
Wasn't sure that death was involved in the first one at all. Though I will admit the lack of knowledge of the past, is a familiar tenet. I still blame it on the beer. grin
Posted By: MikeD Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Mon 07/08/17 20:36 UTC
's OK ... I am happy to drink another in support of your tenet <g>
Posted By: Gryphon Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Thu 10/08/17 01:04 UTC
No, Slater stays alive through the series, no reincarnation.

The plot is an agent has a chip in his brain that switches him from agent to sleeper identity. His memories also switch on and off.

The chip malfunctions.

It is a modernization of Jekyll and Hyde (Henry and Edward are the two names he goes by depending which persona is switched on).
Posted By: Pandemonium Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Thu 10/08/17 16:43 UTC
Speaking of old versions of Jekyll and Hyde, I enjoyed a British one from 2007.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0497298/
Posted By: Gypsy Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Fri 11/08/17 13:05 UTC
Some good actors in that one! grin
Posted By: Gryphon Re: Binge Watching and RPG Ideas - Mon 14/08/17 06:10 UTC
That series made me a huge fan of all of the actors (who I did not already know).

Amazing casting and acting!
© DreamLyrics Play-by-Post